Shooting Stars - Lua 2009

Shooting Stars - Lua by XerJoff
Shooting Stars - Lua is a popular perfume by XerJoff for women and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesLemonLemon
Italian bergamotItalian bergamot
MelonMelon
Heart Notes Heart NotesFlorentine irisFlorentine iris
Bulgarian roseBulgarian rose
Base Notes Base NotesMuskMusk
Woody notesWoody notes

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 18.11.2021.

Gleaming + Fragile Bottle Warning
Has anyone here ever worn, like, 15ml of ~Lua~ in one go? I have! I'll say why shortly.

I wish I hadn't seen the previous review, because I ^was^ going to say anyway that the foremost characteristic of this 'fume is that of being ~luminous~ (or ~gleaming~, to cite more verbatimly). I couldn't agree more with the previous reviewer as to that. TBPH, I have seen other descriptions of it to that effect; but it ^is^ the case that at my very first ever intraspiration of it my impression was ^very^ strongly as of something goldenly glowing. This really is an ^outstanding^ and ^defining^ characteristic of this 'fume, and cannot be overemphasised (except by ^truly insanely^ going on about it, of course!).

So this is a ~melony~ 'fume is it? It also has iris (or orris perhaps). That's no surprise, as the 'fumes I chose obliviously to their composition do strongly tend to have. And it's certainly musky - it's got that signature °transcendental° Xerjoff muskiness; and I think it is the synergy between that & the other components that brings about that °gleam° wherefrom, I deem, this 'fume derives its truly surpassing loveliness.

#########

Recently Xerjoff changed their bottles, from the shape as in the picture shown here to a more barrel-shaped one. And it was possible for a while to obtain bottles of Xerjoff 'fume in the old-shaped bottles at reduced price. I now know why: the old bottles are EXTREMELY fragile (scandalously so for a product of that price-brackett): those corners at the °shoulder° of the bottle do NOT take a knock!!. My 50ml of ~Lua~ got such a knock it could not take. The result was a (fortunately) small hole at one of those corners. Also fortunately, the bottle was kept in a metal cash-box type box, and the spilt 'fume was held in the box - perhaps a third of 50ml minus thitherto-use. I considered decanting this into the °salvage° bottle along with the remaining contents of the now-punctured bottle; but a purist instinct restrained me as it was now contaminated with dust & various particles, and had had considerable exposure to the air. So I just decided that I would be a ~Lua~-bomb that evening and poured it all on myself!

Obviously, in the absence of a serendipitous reason for doing that, it would have been a ^lunatic^ extravagance. Also, the place I was goi g to that evening was serendipitously appropriate to such an extravagance - outdoors, but with many poeple in close proximity. How many compliments did I get? None. But I tend not to get compliments for anything like that, because people are just a bit too trepidatious as to what my response will be: I seem to °project° some kind of °red-light° (as in traffic-light (!)) tending to preclude it.

Just had another look at the hole in the bottle: the glass is ^insanely^ thin at those corners - scarcely thicker than that of a Christmas-tree bauble!! Xerjoff did well to greatly improve their bottles to ones very conspicuously without those corners (the new bottles seem to actually ^say^ "we acknowledge that those corners were a big mistake!") but it is wrong that they were ever used in the first place. I thought I was bagging a really quite extraordinary deal, getting those 'fumes at substantially reduced price: and in one sense I was; but in another, it was ^merely fair^ that they let them go at substantially reduced price.

Ferre edp's Nouveau Riche Cousin
Xerjoff LUA shares quite a bit of overlap with FERRE edp. First, there's the focal floral: iris. Second, there's the focal fruit: melon--a notoriously difficult and capricious note for me, but it works in both of these perfumes. Third, there's the general golden gleam. Fourth, there's a clean, resinous musk in the background sustaining the whole composition.

There are differences as well, but they pale in comparison to the similarities. FERRE edp offers an enticing rice note, where LUA features a vanilla-cedar base with a touch of patchouli. All in all, I must say that both of these perfumes smell very nice to me. Casual elegance is the feeling they convey. The question remains: which one is better, in the final sniffing analysis--the only one that really matters?

I believe that I prefer Pierre Bourdon's creation, FERRE edp. Lucky for me, since it's being nearly given away for free, what certainly cannot be said of LUA, the nouveau riche cousin to FERRE edp.

MrLawmanMrLawman 7 months ago
A ''warmed up'' citrus perfume. The powederyness and musk provide warmth to a refreshing bed of citruses. Spring and fall appropriate.

by Elastique
by Elastique
by Aster6
by Aster6

Popular XerJoff

XJ 1861 Naxos by XerJoff Oud Stars - Alexandria II (Parfum) by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Amber Star by XerJoff Casamorati - Lira (Eau de Parfum) by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Uden by XerJoff Alexandria Orientale by XerJoff Oud Stars - Fars by XerJoff Join The Club - 40 Knots by XerJoff Pikovaya Dama by XerJoff Join The Club - Ivory Route by XerJoff Casamorati - Dolce Amalfi by XerJoff Symphonium by XerJoff Casamorati - 1888 by XerJoff Begum by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Star Musk by XerJoff Opera by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Nio by XerJoff Accento by XerJoff Casamorati - Bouquet Ideale by XerJoff Accento Overdose by XerJoff