Oud Stars - Ceylon 2017

Oud Stars - Ceylon by XerJoff
Oud Stars - Ceylon is a popular perfume by XerJoff for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is animal-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesHoney, Calabrian bergamot, Indian jasmine sambac
Heart Notes Heart NotesCeylon tea, Malayan oud, Indian sandalwood
Base Notes Base NotesMadagascan vanilla, Amber, Deer musk

Submitted by Marc32R, last update on 24.10.2020.

Yharnam79
When things that are not beautiful become beautiful
Through a dear friend here in the community (thanks again to Methabolica) I got a sample. I've certainly tested about 20 Xerjoff fragrances - including some of the Oud Stars - but none of them has really aroused my interest or enthusiasm.
Without great expectations, but at least curious because of the scent pyramid, I sprayed the forearm generously. First of all: generous is absolutely not recommendable here - and not necessary, because the Sillage can be more than seen or smelled.
The very first gush came over me like a steam hammer of animal brand and honey and I have to admit that overstraining and fascination came at the same time. And until the return of clarity in my head also a little - let's call it "surprise disgust".

Ceylon's prelude already brings along an enormous amount of dirty and beautiful animalism. No (too) fecal animalism. More like a familiar and "noble" one. Like a sauteur breeding horse, a monstrous and graceful stag or something like that. Nevertheless: whoever does not like animalism in scents or even finds it repulsive, will not find any pleasure in Ceylon.
Even oudgegners may turn up their noses at this, because honey and animalics are firmly embedded in a dense, pithy and not least demanding oud coat All the aromas that play a role in Ceylon are wonderful, bordering on perfect, coordinated. All aromas are rather loud than soft (as is the whole fragrance). And more robust than soft.
Now and then a touch of tart children Em-Eukal candy penetrates, which may be due to the black tea. Although it actually does not matter where the impression comes from. Every now and then the animalics are very far ahead, then again the really beautiful, unsweet honey, then again the biting Oud.

But I don't really think Celon is sweet. It seems as if sweetness and sourness try to outdo each other. Just like oud and animalics take turns to run off each other's rank. Smoke also resonates again and again. And the black tea-em-eucal.

In the last base after a few hours, I also take warm, creamy sandalwood and also warm amber. These help to soften and warm up the fragrance and do not change the character completely, but complement it beautifully.

Ceylon is undoubtedly not a small challenge. On the one hand, I am glad that I was able to face it and to get to know a really noble, fantastically composed and unique scent. On the other hand, my wallet had to suffer quite a lot because the price range can be described as exorbitant.
But one thing is certain: I will enjoy every spray of this darkly iridescent and in my eyes masterly and absolutely special composition.

Idolatry
2018-03-07-16-39 UTC --

This brings to mind some temple to some appalling idol sequestered away in the most subterranean depths of Jayawardenepura-Kotta - a place that if you find once, one way or another you never find again, like in some Robert E Howard or HP Lovecraft story.

The sweetness-innocence of the honey + the funky-skankiness of the oud sets up one of those tensions whereby the peril or diabolickality of a thing is very greatly amplified - such as that the exceeding fearsome dæmon conjured by the scorcerer speaketh with a °strangely° sweet voice ... & I'm sure many other analogies could be devised.

I don't think it's an exageration or hyperbole to call this °diabolickal° - it's kind of redolent of °sin°, if uw like: and the very prominent & very sweet °honey° note is almost perverse in its innocence taken set in the 'fume as a whole - indeed, I think the figure of the sweet voice wherewithal the dæmon conjured by the scorcerer is wont to speak (and this ^is^ a ubiquitous quality of such dæmons in mythology, as a perusal of literature wherein accounts of such conjurations are featured would reveal) is a passing fitting one for that perversity. The main component of the °fiendish° note is of course the oud (& I suspect there is a fair amount of real oud in this for reasons similar to those whereby I suspect similarly in the case of Malle÷Ropion's ~The Night~ - that, kind of, °the real thing° song that it sings - and one might ask "if this is not °the real thing°, then why is it not undercut by a competitor?"); however, synergising most efficaciously with it is another earthy note - I have seen ~black tea~ mentioned in connection with this, and it is probably that.

~Deer musk~? That is listed in the notes also. What is the law concerning that? I have read that a limited number are permitted the hunting-of per year. I ^presume^ a very publically trading company such as Xerjoff is not using illegally sourcen musk.

This is actually the ^second^ most expensive (unit-cost-wise) 'fume I possess.

2018-04-15-21-39 UTC --
Gave this a run-out last night. In my review of~Lua~ by Xerjoff, I say that people tend not ti give me compliments, forthat I project sort-of °red (traffic) light° against it. Was in a crowded public house last night wearing this. Well ... that business of not receiving compliments got turned on its head! to say the least! I'm not exaggerating to say that there were people seeking me out fræ remote corners of the establishment - and even one or two fræ neighbouring establishments (yeah! for real!) - coz they'd heard of 'this guy' wearing this 'crazy perfume'! To put it into a perspective, when I say 'compliments', I am including people refusing to come within half-a-dozen paces of me by virtue of my 'smelling like a farmyard'. And also, the fuforé was in large part precipitated by a certain entertainer hired by the establishment rather ostentatiously doing precisely that. And it may well have been ^partly^ by reason of the farmyard vibe I was be-emanating (but it ^was assuredly^ only ^partly^ by reason thereof) that I spent the remainder of the evening being led around on a chain! (Think I'm joking, don't you?)

Did say this perfume is ^sinful^!

But, have no doubt! this 'fume really is something ^very particularly^ special (as indeed it ought to be for its price). Its sillage & longevity are off the scale. I wore it this afternoon also at the Whitworth Art Gallery Sunday Concert: had little choice really, as I was veritably honking of it already. The people there were more polite, and the fact that I was there in female raiment (as is my wont) probably played a part in that. "Shall we go and suss-out this cross-dresser honking like a farmyard? ... no! let's just leave it". I would probably have gone & sussed me out; but then I ^am^ me!

I have seen it written that the Xerjoff ~Oud Stars~ series do contain real oud, but a 'homeopathic' amount. This one however is a bit of an outlier (including price-wise) & I am now convinced that there is a fair amount in it. I have never had the honour if intraspiring of high-grade oud-oil ^per-se^; but the ^surpassingly^ fabulous olfactory landscape through which this has been transporting me since the moment I put it on just ^cannot^ but be a figment of at least quite generous amounts of at least fairly high-grade oud.

^If^ it is your desire to avail yourself of some ^really properly^ serious 'fume, maugre the percopious minlet-letting demanded therefor, ^this^ one is, IMO, a truly viable proposition.

Don't know when I'll next be able to wear another perfume to any avail!

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 35 days ago
After a pungent animalic-floral opening, this creamy/sweet earthy-floral Fall fragrance, settles to a warm and gentle resinous-woody base.
LexaLexa 78 days ago
Beautiful jasmine dipped in honey,covered in skanky oud and animalic deer musk.Stay away if you are not used to this kind of blending.

Hirschmoschos - synthetisch.
by Amourage

Popular XerJoff

Shooting Stars - Amber Star by XerJoff Oud Stars - Alexandria II (Parfum) by XerJoff XJ 1861 Naxos by XerJoff Oud Stars - Fars by XerJoff Pikovaya Dama by XerJoff Casamorati - Lira by XerJoff Casamorati - Dolce Amalfi by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Uden by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Nio by XerJoff Opera by XerJoff Casamorati - 1888 by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Star Musk by XerJoff XJ 1861 Renaissance by XerJoff Join The Club - Ivory Route by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Ibitira by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Esquel by XerJoff Casamorati - Mefisto by XerJoff Ouverture by XerJoff Casamorati - Dama Bianca by XerJoff Coffee Break - Golden Dallah by XerJoff