Shooting Stars - Starlight 2019

Shooting Stars - Starlight by XerJoff
Shooting Stars - Starlight is a popular limited perfume by XerJoff for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is spicy-gourmand. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation Limited Edition

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
CardamomCardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesAlmondAlmond
CinnamonCinnamon
CloveClove
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
CedarwoodCedarwood
Balsamic notesBalsamic notes

Submitted by Amourage, last update on 27.11.2021.

MariaS
I do like the idea that there’s a little starlight in each of us
“Aristotle taught that stars are made of a different matter than the four earthly elements— a quintessence— that also happens to be what the human psyche is made of. Which is why man’s spirit corresponds to the stars. Perhaps that’s not a very scientific view, but I do like the idea that there’s a little starlight in each of us”. Lisa Kleypas.

I recently smelled this perfume and I was amazed!! From the first impression you will say “too simple for Xerjoff” but it’s not. I believe it is a great perfume and I ll explain!

At the beginning you get a very intense bergamot scent which reminded me of Nio regarding the sourness and made me think “is it a freshie”? Coz I don’t like freshies…or at least I don’t like to pay a lot for freshies coz they don’t last long! As time goes by and after almost half an hour, this sourness fades and the spices are becoming more prominent. The cinnamon adds a sweetness to them but they are all so beautifully blended together. After some hours, the balsamic notes appear and it becomes a smooth sweet almost bubblegum spicy scent which is incredible! The drydown where base notes appear reminds me of Decas base which also is a bit bubblegummy. Maybe it’s the balsamic notes at their base! The scents overall are not similar but If you told me that they are from the same collection, I would believe you!

To sum up, the scent is spicy balsamic sweet and it changes as time goes by. It is not linear! The longevity is very good but I dont find a great sillage! I am waiting for my bottle to come but from the decant I have and tested it about 4 times, I don’t get it much in the air! If I needed something in this perfume to be perfect 10, would be a dense vanilla at the base to give a more solid base to all the spices!

I tested this perfume because someone told me that it is similar to changing Constance by Penhaligons which I love but haven’t bought, because it doesn’t last long. The truth is that they are quite similar after bergamot fades in starlight but Changing constance is more sweet and gourmand because of caramel and vanilla. Taking into account the similar smell, the quality and longevity of Xerjoff perfumes, it works as a perfect alternative and that’s why I bought Starlight immediately! They have the same price by the way…

Also, I saw some people comparing Starlight to Vanilla Diorama which is my favourite perfume! It kind of has similar vibes, they are both spicy sweet, elegant, discreet, versatile. Like they are from the same family! Vanilla diorama is very boozy because of the rum and more gourmand because of the cocoa and vanilla. You can say Starlight is a virgin Diorama…you know…without the booze!

I believe I helped you understand this perfume! It is amazing, easy to wear, I think versatile (I bought it now on November so haven’t tested in in summer but I believe it works), elegant, discreet, unisex and for all occasions!

Thank you for your time! Be safe smell great and believe in the starlight inside you!

Maria

Surprising discovery
Being in Xerjoff`s fan group I was recommended to buy this fragrance for its eternal beauty. Price was quite high to dive into unknown but curiosity won. I received it back in December 2020. This wasn't my first one from the house, but the first from the Shooting Stars collection. What can I say? I was more impressed with the piece of Meteorite, which accompanied the bottle, - their special gift for any SS line fragrances, - than with the juice itself.
It was like yes and know, or rather - why would I wear this one, if I have many other favourites?
The main NO about it was a very disturbing bayleaf/ laurel /soup )) note. I know, it was cardamon, but sorry! - laurel for me.
I have already mentioned that once a guy drove 70 km over to me to try Erba, and the same guy after sniffing Starlight just exclaimed: My God, this is the best I've ever smelt! I told him that he could have it because I wasn't that keen on it. And he answered: Keep it, it's yours, and I will have mine. One day you will appreciate this piece of heaven you own.
And this day happened to be today....
While decanting I decided to give it a go on my wrist. And it was a lucky move!!! My God! What a star gem I have!
First of all I would never ever consider it to be a summer fragrance. It is hot and dry today and it is behaving just wonderfully!
It stars with citrus, pine, cedar and very mild bergamot and yes, that laurel note, which botheres me badly. It doesn't lean masculine at all, I would rather say, it is even more feminine than unisex.
It is highly addictive straight away - you just can't stop sniffing your wrist, and Starlight plays along, developing and seducing. The sillage grows, that laurel is almost gone and now starts vanilla and light poudre. In 30 minutes the soup note )) completely disappears and and the fragrance becomes very opulent but still noble and posh. You feel like your whole body wears not a scent but states a life style - luxurious, elegant, rich but without being a show-off. Just a simplicity of royals.
Citrusy but not cologny; vanilly but not gourmand, bergamot but not masculine, powdery but not feminine, aldehyde but not old-fashioned.
Clean, cristal-clear, noble.
After 8 hours it is still with me.
I love you my personal Star piece.
Should I consider buying a back up bottle? Ha-ha! I have done it right now!!
Xerjoff number 8 - the one from the other star
Yay, I think slowly my passion for great gourmands is coming back. I've come full circle. After I have tested pretty much all categories of fragrances and my collection has adapted accordingly, I now land where I started and enjoy again beautiful gourmand notes, which have already accompanied me before Parfumo so some time. All the more I'm glad that after almost two years and 250 tested fragrances my nose is back to "zero" and my enthusiasm for this type of fragrances was rekindled Since currently the test marathon of many Xerjoff fragrances on the plan stood and stands, it was clear to me, it had to come to the point where I get a great Gourmand under the nose. Especially Xerjoff as a brand with its many variations is predestined to present the right fragrance here. That the Xerjoff Starlight is not the last good and convincing fragrance of the brand, I then quickly realized, but this will be visible in the coming weeks in my reviews.

The Starlight was not even my first choice in the first step or test. Many other candidates were before this in the mental row, if he would have landed at all with me. However, the opportunity arose and so I could not resist. In retrospect, a very good decision, because by the test and its result Starlight was now part of my 15ml miniflakon package of Xerjoff.
At this point I would also like to express again a special praise for Xerjoff to offer these miniflakons. The selection of the composition of own sets could be even larger, however, I can take so many different fragrances without being tied with masses of milliliters to a fragrance.

So what makes Starlight so special or interesting for me as a gourmand nose?
To do this, we have to make a little trip into the fragrance pyramid, because here are three components or fragrance notes noted, which just at the beginning for a very specific association and a comparison to a very popular fragrance produce. Almond, cinnamon and balsamic notes (whatever is to be defined under it). These three notes are strong on the nose for me at the start and combine into such an incredibly great creaminess, reminiscent of the complete scent progression of Tom Ford's Fucking Fabulous. I thought I got the wrong sample at first. It was surprising and pleasant to sniff. If the further course is then also as beautiful as the beginning, then it could only be a horny fragrance.
With time, some clove, some wood, some resinous notes join it and the almond and the balsamic moves something in the background. Since then come at some point the associations with unbaked cookie dough. The whole thing seems less sweet than I first imagined, because the spices counter the resinous notes a bit and the woodiness also takes away a lot of sweetness. So the fragrance is also interesting for people who otherwise get the horror with sweet fragrances and can not do much with Gourmands.

What I have to highlight this fragrance but again is the drydown. Many Gourmands have the habit at the end either in a sweet sundries or in strong vanilla notes to fall off. Not so with this one, it stays extremely long the only slightly sweetened cookie dough to then at some point rather in a spiced wood note with vanilla hints and light resin transition. Thus, one has compared to other fragrances not the feeling to have to re-spray or to go to the environment with very sweet notes on the nerves.
You could already read it out in this paragraph, the fragrance holds up really well. With a spray on the arm I have heard the fragrance really the complete day. So at least twelve hours long, even if he is skin after a good eight hours. I feel this longevity is really quite good with the current temperatures, and I'm sure it will be extended a bit by even slightly colder temperatures. The sillage isn't too bad either, if you're expecting a sweet gourmand not to flood entire city canyons right away. The first time there's no question where the scent lingers in the Fucking Fabuous-like state, there's some real power there. Also the following one to two hours were very pleasant with me, because every now and then a small surge of the great aromas arrived with me.

The test of this fragrance has currently really worthwhile and I'm looking forward to my mini bottle, as it can be the perfect companion for autumn and spring, if not already mentally with me. Just the in the long run only finely dosed sweetness leaves me with a big grin.

Christmas Dinner
A sparkling, effervescent cardamom dominates the opening, with undertones of the other notes. Baser notes come in stronger over time as expected. It's a lovely warm spicy fragrance all in all, like a freshly prepared Christmas dinner with all the scents mingling in the air. Honestly, it reminds me a lot of Spicebomb Extreme but just a smidge brighter and fresher that makes it more complex and perhaps also more versatile.

Performance is monstrous. I get hints of this in the air up to 8hr after spraying just twice behind my ears and 10-12hr longevity.
Connie
Rather overhasty but patience pays off.
The top note is a bit much. Cardamom up to the sky and so much I'd have to cough. I find the top notes just too much... A lot of spices. From the beginning it doesn't smell like perfume but like baking ingredients. Cardamom and clove...

But 30 minutes later the scent develops super nice. Cardamom only plays a minor role, but instead almonds and some balsamic notes come to the fore more and more. In the base this fragrance is heavenly and is a really beautiful cuddly scent, with a good portion of amber.

So if you have a little patience and survive the first 30-40 minutes without coughing, you will be rewarded with a dream scent..

Durability is moderate and the sillage is rather low. Otherwise a good Christmas scent...

Christmas in a bottle
Xerjoff has been a house, that I tend to keep close eye on, when ever they make new release. I have enjoyed the way Xerjoff utilies spices in few of their newer releases, like Golden Dallah for example. Thirdly I would mention the presentation for the limited edition releases, quite exquisite :)

Well what I think about Starlight:

On top there's that Shooting Star signature bright blast of Bergamot shortly followed by quite fresh and aromatic combo of green cardamom and gloves. Both smell quite natural as the spices used for baking. These three notes play complimenting one another for some time. After that cinnamon and amber or benzoin starts to warm up the composition. Starlight gets warmer and sweeter, but not too much so. Nothing tard like. More like fresh baked gingerbred.

I can see clove being a tricky note for some with Starlight. Clove is quite punchent and dominant note with this one. So if you don't like cloves as a note, this might not be for you. In Starlight's defense, I have to say, that balance is the key.

Almond I can't detect, maybe in base there's a sort of nutty nuance. I have same problem with Golden Dallah's hazel nut note. I am not sure, if I would classify this as gourmand. Maybe oriental spicy or even fresh spicy/aromatic? I think is definately unisex scent or even genderless scent. For me Kilian Intoxicated is in same ball part concerning gender ( scent wise they are nothing alike).

Closest relative from the house has to be Golden Dallah. Spices at the top are very similar. In DG cloves are toned down and nutmeg is more amped up. After developing DG takes more darker aura and Starlight stays relatively "bright" till the end.

Starlight isn't anything ground braking, but very nice addition to Shooting Stars collection. For my personal taste, I like the darker aura of Golden Dallah more than Starlight. I also feel, that the base of Starlight ends up being flat. It's very nice pastry-vanilla, but on same time very familiar.
My Christmas Star
Every year... Come Christmas and with it the feeling to treat yourself to something very special. To spoil yourself and do something good. This is what happened to me this year with this wonderful Xerjoff here. It's been a while since I bought a fragrance from this house, not quite cheap and usually a bit too special, which usually kept me from pressing the order button. This one wasn't easy at first either... Expensive, limited and also the fragrance again very special. But my sample from the sharing just wouldn't let go of me. So it came that I had to order it to get my peace of mind back, it was nice that it arrived yesterday on time for Christmas Eve :) but now to the essential...

The smell:
Already with the first test I had to think of Christmas right after spraying on the bike. The smell of Christmas markets, from speculoos, mulled wine, Linzer Plätzchen, oranges spiked with cloves to roasted almonds, is everything your heart desires. Intense spices, especially cardamom, come through here very strongly at first. For some, perhaps a little too much spice, but after a short time, the fragrance starts to work and becomes softer, rounder and slightly sweetish, even if the spices do not move into the background until the end, they are a perfect unit through a warm and very pleasant almond note and cinnamon and amber, and thus result in a fragrance which is full of high-quality and finest ingredients only shine like a star
Shelf life:
With this fragrance you can get through the day without it disappearing completely. In my hair I notice him the very next day. On clothes as well. Since I am a frequent sprayer, I like to refill 1-2 sprayers after 2 hours, just to experience the development of the fragrance again :) The sillage is also very high, my boss had gotten a little bit too much and he had to open the windows, others came and praised me in the sky how good I would smell :)

Flacon:
This one is simply gorgeous again, very high quality, quite heavy and the packaging is also grandiose, I am totally in love and every few hours I think about where I can take the best and most beautiful pictures and where I should put it in the apartment, it should not go into the perfume room because it would sink there, it will probably be the hallway in my starry shell, which fits perfectly, at least over how winter time and in summer for safety maybe in the perfume room, who knows...

All those who like spicy fragrances and love Christmas should try this starlight, here Xerjoff has once again created something wonderful, which you cannot smell every day, a special fragrance, especially for the cold days but not only at Christmas! I am very happy to be able to call this piece of jewellery my own now :)
Merry Christmas to you all!

MariaSMariaS 17 days ago
A bit Citrusy a bit spicy a bit fresh a bit sweet. I needed a strong sweet vanilla at the base notes! When bergamot fades it’s beautiful!
Basilisk2803Basilisk2803 4 months ago
Find the right weather, give it another chance, keep trying - you will be amazed.
NgarciaNgarcia 5 months ago
Designer smell, and not one of the good ones, really poor composition and average performance, one of the worst Xerjoff.
MrLawmanMrLawman 7 months ago
A lovely, elegant, posh fragrance. Very alluring with a heavy dose of clove in the opening that paves the way for a warm bed of cardamom.
TRehfTRehf 7 months ago
Needs to settle down on my skin. After 20 min it’s a very complex spicy Gourmand. Great quality but a lot of competition from the same house
BertolucciKBertolucciK 11 months ago
Beautiful and fresh opening with citruses, cardamom and almond. In the drydown, it's warm, spicy, aromatic, almond with cinnamon.

by Sweetsmell75
by Sweetsmell75
Dancing at the speed of light You know you are my starlight…
by MariaS
by Felsn
by Felsn
by Smellie13
by Smellie13

Popular XerJoff

XJ 1861 Naxos by XerJoff Oud Stars - Alexandria II (Parfum) by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Amber Star by XerJoff Casamorati - Lira (Eau de Parfum) by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Uden by XerJoff Oud Stars - Fars by XerJoff Alexandria Orientale by XerJoff Join The Club - 40 Knots by XerJoff Pikovaya Dama by XerJoff Casamorati - Dolce Amalfi by XerJoff Join The Club - Ivory Route by XerJoff Casamorati - 1888 by XerJoff Symphonium by XerJoff Begum by XerJoff Opera by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Star Musk by XerJoff Accento by XerJoff Shooting Stars - La Capitale by XerJoff Casamorati - Bouquet Ideale by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Nio by XerJoff