Cuir Vétiver (2016)

Cuir Vétiver by Yves Rocher

Cuir Vétiver is a popular perfume by Yves Rocher for men and was released in 2016. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Haitian vetiver, Caribbean sandalwood, Cedarwood, Tonka bean absolute

Submitted by Michael, last update on 25.05.2020.

Total surprise
I'm a person who, if he's got something in his head, has to have it. After a long search also here in the forum and a question to which I got many answers I finally came across this scent I'm an absolute fan of the Terre de Hermes fragrance. And yes, I own this one, too.
But I have to say that this one is too good for my office, because I only work with well, let's say carefully "farmers". They don't have much time for a good scent. So much for that.
Since I wanted to have a similar fragrance, I decided on the Cuir Vétiver after Yves Rocher. But especially since I could test it in the shop.
It felt a bit strange to run into the shop as a man and look for the men's department. Which was unfortunately in the last corner and already slightly dusty. Luckily I discovered the scent right away with the quite manageable offer. This then sprayed on a test strip and immediately reminded me of the Terre. The opening is almost 1:1 the same. But I have to say that the scent itself is not so aggressive. The fresh and above all the vetiver scent are always there.
It convinced me very positively and since there was another action in the shop with 50% discount on all articles I also bagged myself the shower gel immediately.
The scent won't last as long as the Terre. But he doesn't have to, because in a price comparison I get 4 bottles á 50ml what else costs the 100ml bottle at Terre. You can spray more often then. But this is not always necessary, because this fragrance lasts 5 hours.
I have to say for my part that this twin fragrance really gets close to the original and I have not regretted buying this fragrance until now.
If someone is looking for a good alternative for the Terre, can access here without hesitation. Also the shower gel can convince me with the smell.
It will probably remain my office fragrance and the Terre will then be used more for special occasions.

Hitchslap
Not like Hermes' orange-mineral release.
This, this right here, is its own scent.......not like, a clone or sorta-like, Terre by Hermes. This is a masculine aroma that is a great companion during all seasons but mostly in the warmer time of year.

This DOES NOT have the flint-like note that Hermes' Terre contains, making it much more of a friendly scent.

Vetiver and beautiful citrus, it's what you wear , along with that nice linen or seersucker suit in the high heat or casual evenings.

Rock this and wear it with confidence gentlemen!

Love for the flatterer at the 2nd glance
Around the middle of this year I had my dear Parfumo 168io send me a bottle of Cuir Vetiber (thanks again!).
At first I was disappointed in expectation of vetiver and woody underlined leather notes.
What I smelled was a vetiver opening that was immediately surrounded by sweet-creamy Tonka wood notes. There I had imagined something different but fortunately I had only one filling... I thought.
I first left this bottling and ticked off the scent for myself... but then I caught myself again and again grabbing the atomizer occasionally and still putting on a few sprayers of Cuir Vetiver...
Somehow I liked the vetiver-herbaceous, creamy wood note after all.
As Camey5000 already writes, I felt flattered, relaxed and cozy with this fragrance.

So Cuir Vetiver wandered then nevertheless into my collection and is now mostly for me a leisure scent on cooler days.

The bottle is simple but beautiful with the wooden lid. The spray head is pretty good. The Sillage is not very strong but perceptible at an arm's length.
The shelf life on my skin is about 5-6 hours, on my clothes the scent is still perceptible after one day
My conclusion: A feel-good bargain from Yves Rocher that you can treat yourself to without hesitation. ;-)

Cuir - No, Vetiver Definitely
Scentrack
Morrissey - Everyday is like Sunday

Cuir Vetiver is composed with utter imagination, very modern and substantial fragrance. It’s inoffensive, easy to wear, clean, sweet but very cleverly avoids the banality of today’s mass products. Imagine the ISO E Super cedar skeleton of Terre d’Hermes, broadened by the natural nutty aspect of Tonka bean and clean green vetiver. Like Ellena decided to make a more natural version of Terre d’Hermes by a nutty element of Vetiver Tonka. The vetiver is clearly present, but unfortunately I expected more leather (cuir). I can only imagine a soft suede accord, made mostly of Tonka bean. Tonka is really pronounced in Cuir Vetiver, thus lovers of Mugler’s Pure Tonka could take this fragrance in consideration for Mugler’s summer version.

Rating: 8/10

More on Scentimentalwords

Worth every penny!
One of the most honest, worthwhile and affordably good releases in a long while. I am not a fan of Yves Rocher usually, as despite I respect the brand, none of their releases seemed that interesting to me so far (not even for the price); but Cuir Vetiver quite got me. It is by no means inferior to many decent designers easily showing double the price tag – Hermès, for instance: for the similarity of the notes, the composition and the quality, this could have easily been a budget-mainstream release by them. In fact Cuir Vetiver is basically a cheaper, yet absolutely solid sort of fresher Vetiver Tonka meeting Terre d’Hermès with a thin shade of some smoky tonka-infused suede (and that’s the only “cuir” you’ll get), and also some tangy cardamom nuance which reminds me of another Hermès scent for men – Voyage.

A poor man’s Hermès digest, shortly, with a surprising good quality and a not-so-ordinary texture. Specifically I detect here a more than compelling sort of fresh-woody-powdery transparent clarity dangerously close to Ellena’s style, and despite Cuir Vetiver smells quite close to the stuff I mentioned above, for some reasons it doesn’t feel just like a blatant ripoff of it. I don’t get what precisely, but there’s more than that. It’s like if more than a simple passive carbon-copying activity to monetize on other brands’ ideas, this was just more a genuine “tribute” simply taking inspiration from them with enough skills and budget to elaborate the brief a bit. It’s still 90% close to Vetiver Tonka and the other couple of Hermès I mentioned, but the remaining 10% is, well, a little sparkle of uniqueness (after all, it’s fresher than Vetiver Tonka, and smokier than both Terre and Voyage – unique, in its own and a bit derivative way).

So, all in all, totally recommended. It smells good, classy, versatile, smoky yet fresh and breezy enough to be perfect for any climate and circumstance. And surprisingly natural, too, considering the level of flat syntheticness you usually get at this price range. Sadly the persistence is a bit weak, but it’s so inexpensive that you can simply reapply it on and on. For 29 eur/100 ml or so, a total winner in my “everyday-replacement-for-more-expensive-stuff” book.

8/10

Silky Leather Like The Wings Of A Butterfly
I have owned Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver for a couple of years since it was launched, but I haven't written any reviews yet. I think now is the time to do it. Cuir Vetiver is the most delicate leathery accord I've ever smelled in my whole life. On my skin, it is a silky leather like the wings of a butterfly.

Cuir means leather in French, and I was intrigued to smell how the leather would translate into this fragrance because you have to evoke the scent of leather by using other, distillable elements. That means that there is a lot of diversity in leather fragrances, based on how the perfumer interprets the scent. Cuir Vetiver is a light leather perfume, created by Sonia Constant of Givaudan. She wanted to design a fresh leather scent, and I think she succeeded very well without sacrificing the cozy, warm notes I so enjoy in masculine fragrances. You might notice a slight similarity with Narciso Rodriguez Bleu Noir, the scent was pictured by the same perfumer.

The brightness comes right away with lively bergamot. As a partner, a few lavender kicks in. The lavender is the more floral form of the ingredient and blended with the bergamot releases a creamy aspect that attracts me now and then. True to its name, this perfume unfurls with the strong presence of smokey, citrussy, Vetiver, quite weird as a beginning note. The warm and intense notes continue into the heart of the scent.

It provides a contrast to the heart notes of cedar and vetiver. The solid lines of both notes offer the framework for the leather accord to appear. Cuir Vetiver pursues with citrus Haiti Vetiver, which is smoky like bacon. It manages to create the smell of just the warm aroma of your skin --a sensation so bright and clean-- which melts into a buttery, powdery, and woody leather supported by Caribbean sandalwood and cedarwood. So, no birch, no tar, no castoreum, no Cuir de Russie here, or TF Ombré Leather. It's more delicate than that. It's neither quite refined enough to remind me of suede, nor is it animalic sufficient to be a rawer version of leather. It seems to sit closer to the suede side of the spectrum, with the brightness and lifts. The rich leather is very appealing, very masculine in a soft way, rather than harsh.

This base is composed of vanilla-like absolute tonka. It is amber and vanillic, a sweet, warm comfort, which smells nutty without being a gourmand. It is a delicious roasted tonka bean, similar to the pleasant aroma you get from a warm Crème brûlée dessert, also known as burnt cream, Trinity cream, or Crema Catalana. It consists of a rich custard base topped with a textually contrasting layer of hardened caramelized sugar. That's precisely the dry down of Cuir Vetiver. It’s the vetiver and cedar in Cuir Vetiver that overlaps with the fragrance notes in Bleu Noir.

Cuir Vetiver has four to six hours longevity and below average sillage. For those who consider longevity something important in the fragrances you buy, Cuir Vetiver, like most of the Yves Rocher releases, has some of the lowest amounts of endurance.

I find this a strong vetiver cologne with a touch of luxurious leather in the background, so Cuir Vetiver or Vetiver Leather makes sense to me. Cuir Vetiver is another exquisite perfume in the Yves Rocher collection. Mme Constant pulls off an exciting take on leather and vetiver while keeping the cost down. I think Cuir Vetiver has a delightful scent. A very stylish choice that will not overpower. Suitable for formal or informal occasions, this is easy to wear. I think it works in any middle season, both Spring and Fall, and at any time of the day, whether it is for a workday, a Sunday brunch with your friends or at a party with people you want to impress. Perhaps, at the end of a hot summer day, the perfect antidote to extinguish the heat and sticky sand.

In my last words, the composition is intellectually inspired by Terre d'Hermès, that was the first cologne that came to my mind when I tested it but is a faithful reworking of the idea. It does not aim, for instance, to reproduce the innovative flint-like note of the first. It smells like its perfume. It is in no way a slavish composition.

-Elysium

RocendrollRocendroll 20 months ago
[Tak] Świetny, świeży lekko pieprzny zapach. Rewelacja
edit. po użyciu Mugleta Pure Malt, ten jest trochę gorszy
ElysiumElysium 3 years ago
Cuir Vetiver vs Terre d'Hermès, so close in the smell, yet so different in notes. A mild leather against a mineral earth, though so lovely!

#IvesRocher #CuirVetiver #leather #earthy #creamy #winter
by RiverRun83
by RiverRun83

Popular Yves Rocher

Secrets d'Essences - Voile d'Ambre (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Rocher So Elixir Bois Sensuel by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Vanille Noire by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Neroli by Yves Rocher Venise (1986) / Venice (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Rocher Comme une Evidence Le Parfum by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Accord Chic by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Rose Oud by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Voile d'Ambre Le Parfum by Yves Rocher 8ᵉ Jour (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Rocher Venise (1986) / Venice (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Rocher Ispahan (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Iris Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Rocher Rose Ispahan (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Rocher Un Matin au Jardin - Muguet en Fleurs / Lily of the Valley by Yves Rocher Cuir de Nuit by Yves Rocher Moment de Bonheur by Yves Rocher So Elixir (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Rocher Nuit Vanille by Yves Rocher Comme une Evidence L'Eau by Yves Rocher