Secrets d'Essences - Iris Noir (2007) Eau de Parfum

Secrets d'Essences - Iris Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Rocher

Secrets d'Essences - Iris Noir (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Yves Rocher for women and was released in 2007. The scent is floral-powdery. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Coriander
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Tonka bean
Base Notes Base NotesAmbrette seed, Iris butter

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.03.2019

8.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

Iris Noir-iris nigricans
Today I describe with Iris Noir again a fragrance of the Secrets d` Essences series. With this I have described all the fragrances of this wonderful series that have come out so far. I hope that the series will continue after the youngest member Accord Chic.

Although I knew it from the 2007 catalogue, I only got to know it years later in 2014 through a bottling and was immediately caught by this fragrance Iris Noir embodies a blue iris for me, deep, rich and juicy is the fragrance I immediately fell in love with. We had to get a bottle and some more bunker bottles. I would never want to do without this fragrance again and love lasts until today.

Iris Noir is the sign of the iris, so it is a flowery fragrance. In my mind's eye I always see a blue iris, although in Jordan there really is a black-blossoming iris (Iris nigricans). Iris Noir seems to me to be rather compact as a whole. All components are well interwoven and the fragrance is very linear.
I don't notice much of the top note which is supposed to consist of bergamot and coriander. In my case, heart and base notes immediately assert themselves at the same time and that remains so, or he slowly gets closer to the body. But that doesn't bother me here, I love Iris Noir just as much.

I experience Iris Noir as an intense floral-creamy scent, buttery? one could also think. No way I'd call him powdery like Prada's Infusion d'Iris. The scents move in a circle like a fragrant spiral. Beautiful patchouli and dark tonka beans give warmth, as does the musky ambrette seed, which also gives depth. The iris butter looks juicy, never dusty and reminds me of juicy violets. Iris Noir could also be a violet scent, which I also love very much.

I find this fragrance simply wonderful and just because it is so beautiful "juicy" and not powdery (I also like powdery iris fragrances very much) it stands out from the crowd.
I find the Sillage strong at first, then however more discreetly to finally close to the body. The durability is in the better midfield.
The bottle is the usual one of the Secrets dÉssences series and the liquid itself is blue-violet.

It is a great pity that this wonderful fragrance was discontinued and thank God I was able to stock up on it. I love my Iris Noir!
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Icekat
Iris with not so sweet personality…at first
It was a dark and stormy night when I stood in front of a cold castle with the gates decorated in Gothic ornaments of iris flowers intertwined with metal spikes and thistles. To walk in or not to walk in…This was the question. I took the plunge and when I walked inside, the castle turned out to be quite a nice place, a bit Gothic but comforting, elegant and in its own way charming. Iris Noir is like that - at first it is cold, dark and overpowering but the harsh opening hides a lovely scent inside.

So this is definitely a patchouli bomb at first. My hubby cannot stand the opening. I have to let it to settle for 10 min at least before he will let me anywhere near him. I love patchouli so I kind of dig this razor-sharp dark personality of Iris Noir but this is an acquired taste and not for everyone. The coriander also adds to its earthy darkness. When the scent settles in, it becomes quite beautiful and well-balanced. There is a seductive vibe from the patchouli which I find quite sensual intertwined with cool and regal iris. The heart notes are woody spicy with very smooth and sophisticated iris. It is a bit powdery but in a very luxurious way. The scent has a decent longevity and a medium sillage.

My advice – try before you buy. I personally find it quite sexy, but my hubby disagrees. I think for the price it is very well-made scent that has a unique personality. I also love the fact that it does not smell synthetic and generic like many modern scents from this price range. Overall score 7/10.

Iris Noir
I received a sample of this and decided to wear it today. Right after I applied it I had an instant compliment on how wonderful I smelled. This perfume is quite nice. The fragrance has a dark edge to it. There is something haunting and mysterious about it. I find it to be fresh, smooth and well blended as well. So far, this and So Elixir Purple are my favorite scents from Yves Rocher. To my nose, it also smells very unisex. In my opinion, a man can pull this off with no problem. Definitely worth a try!
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

The darker side to iris
Surprising is the depth and complexity that can be found in this rather inexpensive yet fascinating fragrance, Iris Noir. I've had quite a few friends point me in the direction of Yves Rocher, in particular their Secrets d'Essences range, and only now am I thankful for their suggestions. This brand is quality despite what anyone says.

Iris Noir is a lot darker than I expected it to be. The patchouli and tonka bean accords are quite thick and dense. As a result, Iris Noir does smell a tad masculine, but in a way that it is likable for both sexes.

Although iris is supposedly the feature note, I find orris root to be more spot on. Any floral accords in Iris Noir have been darkened by powder, earthy patchouli and musk, further complimented by a unique carrot seed note.

It's quite important to wait this fragrance out, as what you initially smell may be enough to bring out the soap and scrubbing brush. I applied Iris Noir to both my wrists and neck, and for the first few minutes sat there feeling a little paranoid that I had stunk out the rest of the house. Be warned, the sillage is strong.

Along with the brooding orris root, patchouli and carrot seeds, there was an underlying hint of grapes and plums. It's nothing like a fruity floral, yet these strange notes intensify the composition and add a juicy richness. I think that Iris Noir makes a fabulous night-time scent, something that really suits formal attire, or even that sleazy nightclub. In my opinion, it could become a little overwhelming for daytime wear.

I'm the kind of girl that likes her iris based scents dry and/or green, but this little number deserves a category of its own. I am thoroughly impressed. Now I can't wait to explore Yves Rocher further.
5.0 9.0/10

Iris Noir
My first impression the Bergamot is good
the Frankincense is a another goodie
i don't detect the Carrot seeds
the patchouli very light this smells
similar to Kenzo Flower but less powderly.
a sweet tangy scent very sultry.
10.0 7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Orris Gris
Yves Rocher appears to use the same or a very similar base for many of its prestige-line perfumes. In So Elixir, the base appears essentially as the perfume, with patchouli, tonka and musk dominating the composition. In the Secret d'Essences collection, the So Elixir base is more of a background, with other elements being played up instead. Nonetheless, upon an initial spritz of Iris Noir, the fact that it was produced by Yves Rocher becomes immediately evident from the detectable and familiar base. All of this means that if you like So Elixir, then you are very likely to appreciate the rest of the Yves Rocher prestige fragrances. If not, you probably will not.

Iris Noir has a nutty, slightly earthy aspect to it (perhaps due to the ambrette), and the iris appears to be essentially orris root butter, not the flowers of the iris plant. The composition therefore veers toward the dark side, but I feel in this case that because of the musky So Elixir base, a better description than "noir" would be "gris". There is a kind of gray fogginess to the base which does somehow permeate the entire composition.

There also appear to be incense or wood notes in this perfume, which tinge it slightly, with the result that what in So Elixir is foggy musk here really becomes a kind of wet, bluish smoke. This creation definitely seems more oriental than floral to me.

I consider Iris Noir fully unisex, and I like it more in some weather conditions than others. The humidity and temperature appear to affect the expression of the base, making it more musky on some days and less musky on others. But no matter how I may feel about this perfume on even given occasion, I always love the bottle (common to all members of the Secret d'Essences line), and the pursesprays and minis are also very nice!

by Tüdellütti
by Anninii
by Sherapop
by Sherapop

Popular Yves Rocher

Secrets d'Essences - Vanille Noire by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Voile d'Ambre by Yves Rocher Comme une Evidence L'Eau de Parfum by Yves Rocher Moment de Bonheur by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Neroli by Yves Rocher So Elixir (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Tendre Jasmin by Yves Rocher So Elixir Purple by Yves Rocher Naturelle by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Iris Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Rocher Ispahan (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Rocher Un Matin au Jardin - Muguet en Fleurs / Lily of the Valley by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Rose Absolue (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Rocher Quelques Notes d'Amour L'Eau de Parfum by Yves Rocher Monoï Eau des Vahinés (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Rocher Les Plaisirs Nature - Noix de Coco de Malaisie / Malaysian Coconut by Yves Rocher Les Plaisirs Nature - Vanille / Vanilla by Yves Rocher Un Matin au Jardin - Rose Fraîche / Fresh Rose by Yves Rocher Un Matin au Jardin - Lilas Mauve / Purple Lilac by Yves Rocher Hoggar (2005) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Rocher