Secrets d'Essences - Rose Oud (2016)

Secrets d'Essences - Rose Oud by Yves Rocher

Secrets d'Essences - Rose Oud is a popular perfume by Yves Rocher for women and was released in 2016. The scent is floral-spicy. It is still in production.

Annick Ménardo

Damask rose, Laotian oud, Cumin, Labdanum

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 25.05.2019

8.0 6.0 5.0 7.5/10

Rum and Coca-Cola
"If you ever go down Trinidad
They make you feel so very glad
Calypso sing and make up rhyme
Guarantee you one real good fine time
Drinkin' around and Coca-Cola..."
(Andrew Sisters)

I was never in Trinidad and when this song by the Andrew Sisters came out, I wasn't even born yet, even my parents were toddlers.
But when I heard this song for the first time in 1999 in a pizzeria in Zurich, I was totally lost. And so is the chef, obviously. The piece was certainly played four times per evening, he sang along at the top of his voice and peppered the pizzas with wild elegance toppings, to then always throw them into the stone oven to the rhythm of the piece, full of verve. I went into this pizzaria every night.
When I had to leave, I immediately bought a CD from the Andrew Sisters. This absolutely cool, polyphonic singing - hammer-strong!

What does that have to do with Secrets d'Essences - Rose Oud?
Very much and again perhaps not so much at all, since it is primarily about associations of mine.

I sprayed myself with Rose Oud, and immediately a bar of the 40s appeared in the USA before my inner eye. This song is played. You can smell a little rum and smoke, a little leather. The wood of the bar is resinous. It's dancing, sweating. As in the song only makeshift clauses, there is prostitution. Times are hard, but still people know how to make the best of it, live in the moment and enjoy it as much as possible. And this cheerfulness, this ability to enjoy oneself, this cook had in Zurich and also in Zurich people drank alcohol, perhaps too much alcohol, and enjoyed life, without prostitution, until deep into the night.
There is a lot of liveliness in this fragrance, a lot of heart.

Rose-Oud - and I don't smell a rose. That's typical of me. But I don't smell any oud either. I smell floral things on rum, yes there is a slightly alcoholic rum note, which lasts over an hour, accompanied by something spicy, which soon gets a sweaty undertone, but which is not unpleasant. A slightly cinnamon and minimally smoky warmth makes itself broad, lush, but also sweaty tart. The bitter becomes more, it becomes increasingly resinous, but that doesn't bother me here either. It is not too bitter and not too distorted for me, but the wild excesses remain relaxed and full of relish.

I like Secrets d'Essences Rose-Oud much better in the projection than in the smelling directly at the sprayed skin area. On the skin it then becomes bitter and very creaky, also increasingly artificial, while in the projection it appears soft and spicy, nobly bitter. I think it's more of a winter scent. There are dark winter evenings by candlelight when I find just such a scent perfect. I wouldn't recommend it for spring and summer. Unless you want to spend the night in an American retro bar of the 40s with songs of the Andrew Sisters. Or if it happens to lead you to Zurich - to a very special Pizzaria....

Paprika
of the Dragon's Palace scent?
This fragrance had aroused my interest 100 years ago - now it could be ordered by mail.

And he surprised me and captivated me. What a wonderful fragrance.
If I didn't want to smell "Rose Absolue" on my skin, because it developed too acidic and therefore migrated to my mother, who can wear this scent with the necessary noblesse - then this so hard to get "Rose Oud" is for me a wonderful kaleidoscope of different feelings and pictures - evoked by the variety.
From the cumin that catapults me into the first organic shop of my life, from the smoky air of an alternative festival and the many stalls equipped with Indian-looking fabrics - to an exotic and royal-like enthroned rose that can be caressed by its court.
This is how I imagine the accompanying scent when I look at pictures of old lacquers from the Asian empire or when I have to describe the scent of an Indian Maharani - dressed in the finest silk.
And yet also something dark, almost abysmal resonates - is it this incense note that reminds us of transience?
For me a completely successful fragrance - discreetly it still resonates hours later, remains woody-warm and deep and interesting due to the rose.
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

pudelbonzo
Nostalgic view into the body workshop
Today I walked through the city and took a look at my former gym, called the "body shop".

Here I had spent many hours with the intimate desire to put on a few kilos, because I was a lint.
Of course condition can't hurt, but I wanted to reach the 50kg mark.

When I walked to the scale after the training, the strong guys called me to put on my winter coat first - and take two suitcases in my hand !
A funny bunch.

And I also liked the smell in these sports halls.
The windows were wide open, and rose bushes and chestnut branches pushed into the room.
In addition the pleasant smell of skin and fresh sweat.
Very human, very intimate and very close.
A deep sense of connectedness seized mine.
The absolute feel-good place.

And this mixture of human and plant closeness is wonderfully captured in Rose Oud.
The remedy of choice for feelings of loneliness.

I thank my previous speaker for the bottling - and at the same time I am disappointed not to be able to acquire this special and particularly beautiful fragrance in Germany.

By the way, I weigh myself now undressed, and the magic 50 has long been cracked.

Dusty memory
I love the first wave of Rose Oud. It is truly delightful. Strong, exotic, dignified and strangely melancholic. It bears a beautiful secret and a promise to reveal it. It's like an erotic promise, long look in the eye, touch of naked skin. Unfortunately, the spell is broken quickly, there is no intoxicating night, nor hasty greed of lovers. Sensual damask rose withers, shrinks, leaving only a dusty memory. For a moment I can smell the leathery and woody note of oud, however, without rose essence it becomes muffled, as if buried underneath desert sand.

Rose Oud is dry, somewhat dull, as if roasted by the sun during the day and then quickly chilled by the darkness of the night. It lacks something, does not sound full sound. It lacks space, third dimension. I guess it's the rose that ruins it all. It should be a fresher one, not so exhausted by heat, juicy and fleshy. A drop of water in the desert, which would provide a luminousity and life to the composition, enhancing by contrast the beauty of wood notes. Perhaps resinous labdanum note would become more prominent.

The big dissapointment of Rose Oud is its lasting power. The scent evaporates from my skin very quickly, after a while I do not feel it on my clothes either.

(wersja w jezyku polskim na moim blogu: http://www.atqabeauty.com/2016/05/zapachy-obietnica-yves-rocher-secrets.html)
6.0 5.0 6.0 8.0/10

Butterfly Kisses
A warm, moody, smoky, vintage rose with cumin adding tartness to an otherwise broodingly subtle, woody character.

Doesn't project very much, but this admittedly adds to the style - it is gently inviting, and the occasional moments when I catch a hint of moist, honeyed rose petals emerging through this fog are almost too lovely to bear. (Certainly something that fans of other Yves Rocher rose based scents would appreciate - it does have their signature rose style!)

This is an almost edible, chocolatey rose with a tender freshness at the core that sparks an awakening of the senses - a soft embrace that makes this appear best suited to an intimate 'evening' setting, adding contrast to the dryness of the scent. (Would this be better appreciated in the Sahara or on a steaming, rainy day?)

Smells nothing like L'Agent (as opposed to what was stated by others, elsewhere) on/to me, thankfully, and the biggest drawback of the scent is its softness, read: weakness. Sad but true. Glad it doesn't smell like L'Agent, but sad that it doesn't have more strength. Wears skin close for up to six hours on my skin, trailing off with a delectably buttery labdanum.

Chimidoro 22 months ago

by Amberfreak
by Gemini237
by Gemini237

Popular Yves Rocher

Secrets d'Essences - Vanille Noire by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Voile d'Ambre by Yves Rocher Comme une Evidence L'Eau de Parfum by Yves Rocher Moment de Bonheur by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Neroli by Yves Rocher So Elixir (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Tendre Jasmin by Yves Rocher So Elixir Purple by Yves Rocher Naturelle by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Iris Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Rocher Ispahan (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Rocher Un Matin au Jardin - Muguet en Fleurs / Lily of the Valley by Yves Rocher Secrets d'Essences - Rose Absolue (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Rocher Quelques Notes d'Amour L'Eau de Parfum by Yves Rocher Monoï Eau des Vahinés (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Rocher Les Plaisirs Nature - Noix de Coco de Malaisie / Malaysian Coconut by Yves Rocher Les Plaisirs Nature - Vanille / Vanilla by Yves Rocher Un Matin au Jardin - Rose Fraîche / Fresh Rose by Yves Rocher Un Matin au Jardin - Lilas Mauve / Purple Lilac by Yves Rocher Hoggar (2005) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Rocher