Body Kouros (2000) Eau de Toilette

Body Kouros (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Alain de Mourgues

Body Kouros (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2000. The scent is sweet-oriental. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesEucalyptus, Frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesMace, Chinese cedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Camphor tree wood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 30.10.2019.

7.0 8.0 7.5/10

The consolation prize
When I recently won the consolation prize at a raffle of Molihuacha (thanks again for that) I was very curious what I would get. What can I say? I wasn't disappointed. All these delicious scents! About one, Body Kouros, I would like to say a few words today. If I knew the original kouros inside and out, this scent was completely alien to me until now. Shortly after the first spraying it was clear that this fragrance had nothing to do with the original Couros. A combination of benzoin, synthetic incense, as well as balsamic green herbs with a slight aniseed touch, caused by eucalyptus and some sage filled the air. For me this mixture caused a pronounced cooling effect in the nose. This lasted about an hour before the eucalyptus note weakened somewhat and a woody fragrance interspersed with incense came to the fore. However, the eucalyptus remained in different intensity over the entire course of the fragrance. After another four hours Body Korous finally dried to a dry, almost dusty incense scent. The spicy parts, just like the sweetness, had almost completely disappeared. Instead, only a thin mist of incense with a light anise note remained.
Conclusion: For me, Body Kouros is a pleasant business fragrance without larger corners and edges, which brings a refreshing note due to the eucalyptus. The durability is good and also the projection is pleasantly reserved. Despite all the refreshment I recommend the fragrance rather for the autumn and winter months.
10.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Magic Moment
October 2000, Ibiza, Santa Eulalia, new ART shop, multi-storey at one corner.
We, my more than beautiful wife, and my 3 children enter the then new shop...looks good!
Beautiful wife and children disappear on the first and second floor to the sports articles.
Bluebaron stays on the ground floor and goes purposefully to the YSL shelf...claw towards Kouros EdT...but then...what does it say there?
A completely new, never before seen perfume: YSL-Kouros Body (sic), strange brown bottle.
Sprayed on the hand: JEEEESUUUS , MAAARIAAA and JOOOOSEEEF ( as non-Catholic).... i haven't smelled anything like that in my life yet.
Wife and children come, smell my beauty...quote: "If you don't buy that,
it's your own fault!!"
Okay, 2x 100ml... of course plus the white original!
That was the entrance into a fragrance addiction to Body Kouros, formerly Kouros Body.
Wonderful top note with gently spicy, pleasantly sweet aromas, eucalyptus, slightly oriental, top shelf life and beautiful projection and sillage. Several female compliments at work, (unfortunately none as attractive and sexy as my wife....yes Alice Schwarzer, white, is sexist and not pc...I do not care, complete :))....)
Conclusion: Must live to be 137 years old to consume all supplies of this wonderfully unique fragrance...but with 136 I buy myself another supply...if it still exists!
Currently about 500ml stored :))...I think more, lost control. :))
Tastes are different, but tip to everyone with appropriate sensitivity...TEST!
This refers to the original version in the strange, always overturning glass bottle, not to the one in the newer version....although I find its bottle much better!
10.0 9.0 9.0 9.5/10

Pure body cult!
Body Kouros.

Somehow I always thought it translated means "body cult". The advertising is partly also with sweating men in the sauna, so why not?
The research on the other hand says:
"Kouros, also Kuros, (ancient Greek κοῦρος; plural Kouroi "boy, young man") is the modern term for the statue of a young man in the Greek art of the archaic. "

I think it's a very funny twist, and why will I tell you right away.

But let's start first... what does Body Kouros smell like?
Sweet-oriental as stated here, yes. But I also find slightly fresh, and a little ethereal, by the eucalyptus, but perhaps also the camphor wood.
If the scent had a color for me, it would be a masculine pink cloud. Haha, yes I know... very contrary, right? ;)

A description that most people might also say is, I think Body Kouros is very Le Male by nature. There's this sweetie with an oriental touch. But there is a concise masculine chord, and an ethereal (Le Male even maritime) freshness that cushions the whole.
And if you come back to the naming, "Young Man's Body" is a perfect anecdote to Le Male, isn't it? D

I also like the description from another comment here, "Mixture of Le Male and Joop Homme". I mean, after all, I thought ignorantly of Rosa... ¶)

Once again one of those cases where I would love to know what the perfumers and product developers were thinking about, or what they were thinking about when they created this gem. But direct copy it is not, already independent.

And really, really awesome. I really like Body Kouros, and I wear it a lot. Although I was curious how much I would really use him, he is a little older and older... i use it more and more to my astonishment with the time! He's just aged really well, completely timeless to me. If something like this came out on the mass market now, people would probably be surprised how something like fancy can look so natural at the same time. That's how I feel at least...

I find the bottle also very beautiful and masculine, and somehow something own with identity, not something lovelessly shredded what you have already seen 1000x so.
I like the bottle of the vintage version just as much, both are cool.

Apropops Vintage Version... i also have the vintage, and must say, even good, but not better, on the contrary, - I find the new performed slightly better, lasts longer, and is more concrete, so better graspable in the aura.

A fun fact yet for you.
I started wearing this perfume when I was sick. I'm just so fragrance-addicted that I can't stand it long without something on my skin haha...
And I thought to myself then, eucalyptus and camphor, it's almost like a cold bath to go! He seems really pleasant and encouraging to me even in these situations, would never get a headache or anything like that.
And well, I somehow stayed with it ;P I don't wear it exclusively to it, but it's just my thing for such times.

I hope I could entertain and inform a little. Absolutely test, really nice. ;)
5.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

The droids you seek...
Or: In search of the heavy, sweet winter bewilderer.
But now in order.
In winter 2017 Just Rock! from Zadig & Voltaire sucked me almost nischig into our fragrance hobby, so I started looking for alternatives for this winter. Sweet I like, and so the Mainstreamer Eros, the Gold Bar, Armani's Code Profumo, Spicebomb and some other rival had to compete for the test.
What does this have to do with Kouro's body? They all have a similar scent intention and effect, behind all of them there is - for me - a common idea, vision: heavy, dark, sticky seducers with perseverance and - despite mainstream airs - their own character. Presents, albeit not complex, fragrances that look like the Ultra Mâle bottle: Dark blue, devouring, almost sticky, but nevertheless refreshed by a certain fruitiness (Spicebomb: tobacco is also somehow a fruit), except for Code Profumo (how does the almond get in there?) also without any real course, just fading out less intensively. No annoying flowery or bright roaring in the base, no playful nicheiness, just Christmas.
But still: These are not the droids I was looking for.
Now Kouros Body comes into play: He also plays sweet and resinous. Eucalyptus gives it a freshness that makes it mMn even conditionally suitable for summer, at least in the evening. This retro note makes him stand out among the above-mentioned honeymouths and makes him so attractive for me, because, in contrast to the above suspects, he enters into a symbiosis with the inherent smell of the skin, which gives him something mysterious, almost animal. At least that's how I perceive Kouro's body. I don't notice a differentiated course with him either, but that's what I was looking for.
Kouros Body is not as serious as One Million, not as exciting as Code Profumo, does not seduce as youthful as Eros, but is a character head with which you can express your preference for sweet-spicy orientals in the office.
The power is strong in him.
6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0/10

NasiGoreng
Quite different than hoped for =(
Hi everyone!

Here's my very first comment, although I've been passively following this forum for ages - but finally joined it to contribute my mustard! ;-)
And since I don't have the skills of a "nose sommelier" or "fragrance connoisseur" and can filter out all the ingredients individually (I like it or not!), I'm not a "nose sommelier" or "fragrance connoisseur" - and unfortunately I like a lot...), I already ask for mild indulgence!

To the fragrance:
After I read here that he should be quite eucalyptus-heavy after all, he interested me very much! And YES - I still know the normal KOUROS from my storm and urge time! ;-)
I really(!) set out on a search from Munich to Berlin to get hold of a little sniffer. But of course all shops and perfumeries did not have this scent!
And: save it to ask any fragrance consultant in - no matter which - shop. Everybody, but really everybody has no idea! Quote: "...no, the one we have is white - but the box is black!" Huh? She's blue with me! But no matter! It gets really bad when she ADVANCES the "silver" next to it: "this one is also black - but it says silver on it. Hmm, so now I don't even know what to do!??? How do we do that? Body? So you mean a body spray or something?" - I'll save you the rest! D
Thanks to the perfume JoT (mny thx!) I got a bottling and unfortunately I have to say: I am disappointed! Eucalyptus? You did? Where?
For me it smells really very similar to a mixture of JOOP! Homme and Le Male from "Maulesel".
Too bad actually!

Conclusion:
Sometimes not getting it is the lesser evil...

VG!
Hari

ColinM
Unrelated to Kouros, but a real keeper!
Benzoin, synthetic incense and sour balsamic-anisic greenish herbs (eucaliptus and sage) is exactly what you get at the opening, soon developing a warm, rather bold anisic-almondy aftertaste which I wouldn’t know which note to attribute to exactly – quite sure there’s spices here, definitely tonka above all, as I get a whole sweet Oriental base accord, made smokier by that woody incense note. So, shortly a sweet, kind of soft but at the same time round and bold (almost heavy actually) balsamic and nearly-heavily spiced anisic-resinous-herbal Oriental blend. Not the slightest connection to Kouros to pretty much any extent; but still a remarkable scent to say the least, more than versatile and easy to wear, really “simple” and effortless – almost naif and slightly tacky for the first hour or so (far less than it may have been with these notes, though). Then, after some three or four hours, an unexpectedly mellow and “grey” late-drydown arrives, with a really peculiar sort of discreet and dusty incense-starch note that reminded me of the smell of freshly-laundered garments. Slightly aromatic, kind of “gassy” and breezy, really clean. And nearly completely different from what came before, to any extent; the heavy spices are gone, not much more sweetness left, just this immensely enjoyable thin fog of almost-avantgarde smoky incense with an anisic vein and a crisp substance. Quite a twist if compared to the almost juvenile and kind of flashy early stages, which are more all about thick resinous spices. I wouldn’t define Body Kouros a gem, but we’re almost there - a true keeper for sure, with a quite distinctive informal and playful vibe then unexpectedly and effortlessly morphing into a classy and enveloping drydown.

8/10

P.S. I wasn’t aware this has been (allegedly) “heavily” reformulated, but just in case - my bottle is the older one.
10.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Creamy Benzoin...
I love this fragrance! It's made by perfumer Annick Menardo who always takes unusual notes and never disappoints in her creations... Bvlgari Black, Dior Bois d'Argent and Lolita Lemipcka Au Masculin, each one of them different, unique and outstanding...

Body Kouros is no exception... It is a creamy, resinous benzoin and eucalyptus fragrance (seriously, how many fragrances do you know that have that note?). It is at times resinous, camphorous & balsamic... and has a hint of something slightly herbal or medicinal (almost menthol-like), which comes from the eucalyptus and mace (clary sage). But it really is all about the creamy benzoin and incense. Benzoin as a note has a very vanillic type smell... and this does smell like vanilla, a very creamy, resinous, dark vanilla (along with amber). I love it!

I picture perhaps an old temple or cave somewhere in Asia... it has this really exotic smell which I can't put my finger on. The design of the bottle I think also reflects this aspect (I own the older bottle).

I think either men or women could wear this fragrance... but it would smell incredible on a man, as it's sweet, but in a very dark, seductive way. It's a great one, quite underrated in my opinion. A really great, dark, sweet choice for men, and any daring women!
7.5 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

"GORILLAS IN THE MIST."
Muscular. swarthy. animal -heat... cooled down by eucalyptus.

Not for kiddies. Body Kouros has an omni present and misty sillage in cooler weather. It's deep, smoky, medicinal character suggests adult sensuality in those conditions: Winter air teemed with cool vapors of eucalyptus, holds a brawny benzoin hostage...A touch kinky. But in warmer temperatures... the output intensifies; provoking the beast within. Body Kouros goes Primal ! Overwhelming it's prey with an ardent, resiny, incense sweetness.

Either way, this one pushed one of my already favorite perfumers, Annick Menardo, to the TOP of my list.

Provocative, and brilliant !

( and I'm not just talking about Annick. )

(Added per request: This fragrance projects well on me with 2 to 3 sprays for the first 3hrs (in cool weather). After which, the sillage becmoes moderate for another 2-3. With a still detectable base scent that totals about 6 or 7hrs.)
10.0/10

a sweet,creamie scent!
this is a growing fragrance for me, when i worn it the first time i was a Little bit negative about it, but the more ive worn it,the more i love it, and now i can say this is a masterpiece, the mainnotes is vanilla and incense and a Little bit sweet eucalyptus in the background.
its a very sweet and creamie fragrance!!!

one of my favorites and good price too, my other favorites is more expensive, so if you look at the price of this masterpiece i cant give it Another score than 100%
5.0 5.0 7.5 6.0/10

Wonderful!
Body Kouros is an outstanding fragrance!

Very unique, the eucalyptus note mixed with the incense note gives an edge for this scent.

Also there's a sweetness that's not bubble gum type which is present in many actual releases.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are great.

Definetely worth it!

Sexy and attractive!
I don't personally own this perfume, my boy friend does, and it left a really strong impression on me. I think it is one of the best male perfume (in terms of attracting females) so far in the market.
The perfume is somehow attractive and strangely unlike other common male's cologne. The fragrance contains something else, very passionate, sexy, gorgeous and a bit sweet just right enough to makes me turn my head around, wonder what it was every time it touches my nose.
Advice from a female: Guys you really should try out this one!
7.5 8.0/10

Intoxicating.....
Body Kouros is 1 of the better modern offerings from Yves Saint Laurent, altho the majority of there frags are rather interesting & different! I get a sweet cotton candy smell at first with a hint of incense. The incense is never really strong to my nose...I get Eucalyptus, camphor, anise & incense! It is beautifully constructed with great longevity & leaves a nice trail to follow as well. When it starts to dry down, i am left with a sweet, gooey marshmellow effect with the camphor still being present! last a very long time on me which is great for an EDT! Works the best for me in fall/winter like weather! Its an 8.5/10! Kudos to the house of Yves Saint Laurent!

Carlitos01 55 days ago
A well behaved oriental, made to please the masses and not really to outshine the regular Kouros more extreme notes. Very nice but common.+4
9.0
HugoMontez 72 days ago
Super underrated gem. A unique fragrance that offers a unique blend of eucalyptus, resins and woods. Super sexy and versatile. Try it!+1

Eine alte Postkarte unter Body Kouros  # Dankeschön ♡
by Moriarty
by Vmaster
by Vmaster

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Kouros (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Body Kouros (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Paris (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Y (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Belle d'Opium (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme L'Intense by Yves Saint Laurent Parisienne (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent