Body Kouros 2000 Eau de Toilette

Body Kouros (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Alain de Mourgues
Body Kouros (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2000. The scent is sweet-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesEucalyptus, Frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesMace, Chinese cedar
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Camphor wood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 26.04.2021.

Forgotten gem!
When Tom Ford took the creative direction of YSL, back in 1999, he helped the brand create some of the best fragrances in their catalog. This was his first men's fragrance and was composed by the great Annick Ménardo. Although is kinda forgotten despite the fact that it's still available to purchase. Everybody talks about the discontinued M7 and Rive Gauche pour homme (which are both great fragrances) but this is very under the radar and i don't know why.

This is a really interesting fragrance. Despite the name, it doesn't remind me of Kouros at all. In fact, it smells like sweet woods (benzoin mixed with cedar) but in a weird, almost alien-ish, yet warm-fresh and inviting. The eucalyptus note is noticeable in the opening and brings the green freshness facet to the fragrance mixed with a chinese incense type of a smell that quickly fades away to the sweet wood thing that will last a good 8h on skin. There's a liccorice kind of a smell mixed in the composition but not so strong as in others like Lolita Lempicka, created also by Annick Ménardo.

Despite the weirdness, this is very easy and confortably fragrance to wear specially in night outs or during fall and winter time. Annick Ménardo ussually utilises new synthetic components and mix them with classical bases and ingredients. And this one is a good example of it. Very new and weird smell but, at the same time, really well made and with a classical touch.

i recommend this one even in the newer formulation. Of course the vintage has better quality and has a more disctinct eucalyptus note but, it's still Body Kouros and it still performs and smell good.

A forgotten gem that is still available and pleasant to wear.

4/5 for the vintage
3/5 for the current formulation
Body without Kouros
This strange perfume, which apart from the name and the idea of body cult between ancient Greece and 2000, has nothing at all to do with Kouros, is a highlight from YSL's phase in which the brand released one great fragrance after another. Body Kouros - in its first version, in the 'dumbbell/handle' bottle, pre-L'Oreal - was reminiscent of Yohji Homme, but in such an overdone way, like when a Yamamoto dress falls into the hands of Yves Saint Laurent tailors, and the whole thing is saintlaurentised front and back. Perhaps it's the combination of eucalyptus and benzoin that resembles Yamamoto's licorice, or indeed the genealogy of Lempicka's Au Masculin to Body Kouros and thus Annick Ménardo's home-run? Either way, Body Kouros was a highlight in the designer section, pulling out all the stops especially in the hottest weather. The version that comes along for a few years in the classic Kouros bottle, has much less of the refreshing eucalyptus note, but something vaguely reminiscent of vanilla, and unfortunately no longer quite as cool and thoughtful.
The consolation prize
When I recently won the consolation prize at a raffle of Molihuacha (thanks again for that) I was very curious what I would get. What can I say? I wasn't disappointed. All these delicious scents! About one, Body Kouros, I would like to say a few words today. If I knew the original kouros inside and out, this scent was completely alien to me until now. Shortly after the first spraying it was clear that this fragrance had nothing to do with the original Couros. A combination of benzoin, synthetic incense, as well as balsamic green herbs with a slight aniseed touch, caused by eucalyptus and some sage filled the air. For me this mixture caused a pronounced cooling effect in the nose. This lasted about an hour before the eucalyptus note weakened somewhat and a woody fragrance interspersed with incense came to the fore. However, the eucalyptus remained in different intensity over the entire course of the fragrance. After another four hours Body Korous finally dried to a dry, almost dusty incense scent. The spicy parts, just like the sweetness, had almost completely disappeared. Instead, only a thin mist of incense with a light anise note remained.
Conclusion: For me, Body Kouros is a pleasant business fragrance without larger corners and edges, which brings a refreshing note due to the eucalyptus. The durability is good and also the projection is pleasantly reserved. Despite all the refreshment I recommend the fragrance rather for the autumn and winter months.
Magic Moment
October 2000, Ibiza, Santa Eulalia, new ART shop, multi-storey at one corner.
We, my more than beautiful wife, and my 3 children enter the then new shop...looks good!
Beautiful wife and children disappear on the first and second floor to the sports articles.
Bluebaron stays on the ground floor and goes purposefully to the YSL shelf...claw towards Kouros EdT...but then...what does it say there?
A completely new, never before seen perfume: YSL-Kouros Body (sic), strange brown bottle.
Sprayed on the hand: JEEEESUUUS , MAAARIAAA and JOOOOSEEEF ( as non-Catholic).... i haven't smelled anything like that in my life yet.
Wife and children come, smell my beauty...quote: "If you don't buy that,
it's your own fault!!"
Okay, 2x 100ml... of course plus the white original!
That was the entrance into a fragrance addiction to Body Kouros, formerly Kouros Body.
Wonderful top note with gently spicy, pleasantly sweet aromas, eucalyptus, slightly oriental, top shelf life and beautiful projection and sillage. Several female compliments at work, (unfortunately none as attractive and sexy as my wife....yes Alice Schwarzer, white, is sexist and not pc...I do not care, complete :))....)
Conclusion: Must live to be 137 years old to consume all supplies of this wonderfully unique fragrance...but with 136 I buy myself another supply...if it still exists!
Currently about 500ml stored :))...I think more, lost control. :))
Tastes are different, but tip to everyone with appropriate sensitivity...TEST!
This refers to the original version in the strange, always overturning glass bottle, not to the one in the newer version....although I find its bottle much better!
Pure body cult!
Body Kouros.

Somehow I always thought it translated means "body cult". The advertising is partly also with sweating men in the sauna, so why not?
The research on the other hand says:
"Kouros, also Kuros, (ancient Greek κοῦρος; plural Kouroi "boy, young man") is the modern term for the statue of a young man in the Greek art of the archaic. "

I think it's a very funny twist, and why will I tell you right away.

But let's start first... what does Body Kouros smell like?
Sweet-oriental as stated here, yes. But I also find slightly fresh, and a little ethereal, by the eucalyptus, but perhaps also the camphor wood.
If the scent had a color for me, it would be a masculine pink cloud. Haha, yes I know... very contrary, right? ;)

A description that most people might also say is, I think Body Kouros is very Le Male by nature. There's this sweetie with an oriental touch. But there is a concise masculine chord, and an ethereal (Le Male even maritime) freshness that cushions the whole.
And if you come back to the naming, "Young Man's Body" is a perfect anecdote to Le Male, isn't it? D

I also like the description from another comment here, "Mixture of Le Male and Joop Homme". I mean, after all, I thought ignorantly of Rosa... ¶)

Once again one of those cases where I would love to know what the perfumers and product developers were thinking about, or what they were thinking about when they created this gem. But direct copy it is not, already independent.

And really, really awesome. I really like Body Kouros, and I wear it a lot. Although I was curious how much I would really use him, he is a little older and older... i use it more and more to my astonishment with the time! He's just aged really well, completely timeless to me. If something like this came out on the mass market now, people would probably be surprised how something like fancy can look so natural at the same time. That's how I feel at least...

I find the bottle also very beautiful and masculine, and somehow something own with identity, not something lovelessly shredded what you have already seen 1000x so.
I like the bottle of the vintage version just as much, both are cool.

Apropops Vintage Version... i also have the vintage, and must say, even good, but not better, on the contrary, - I find the new performed slightly better, lasts longer, and is more concrete, so better graspable in the aura.

A fun fact yet for you.
I started wearing this perfume when I was sick. I'm just so fragrance-addicted that I can't stand it long without something on my skin haha...
And I thought to myself then, eucalyptus and camphor, it's almost like a cold bath to go! He seems really pleasant and encouraging to me even in these situations, would never get a headache or anything like that.
And well, I somehow stayed with it ;P I don't wear it exclusively to it, but it's just my thing for such times.

I hope I could entertain and inform a little. Absolutely test, really nice. ;)
Eucalyptus spice, pleasantly composed
I came across the fragrance Body Kouros from Yves Saint Laurent more by chance when I clicked on Parfumo through the fragrance portfolio of YSL.
That was back when I was an uninvolved fellow reader here.
I couldn't stop being amazed when I saw all the scents YSL had and has. Paris, Rive Gauche, Jazz, Opium, Kouros, those were all terms to me. But beyond that I was still quite ignorant. But that should change with the closer study of the extensive perfume database.

The Ur-Kouros is one of the fragrances I never found suitable for me. But I won't go into that here So I read something about Body Kouros and thought, oh well, if this is a branch of Kouros, then it's not for me But when I read about the scents and direction, I became very sensitive. I like oriental and sweet and a relation to Le Male, och yes I will get myself one day But Body Kouros is unfortunately not to be found in the shops. But I took the risk and dared a blind purchase, the price for 100 ml was extremely low, the financial disaster would have remained very small, should I not like the fragrance.
But the scent immediately surprised me in the most pleasant way
The fragrance was created by Annick Ménardo, a perfumer who has created some beautiful fragrances, including Hypnotic Poison, Hypnosis, Roma Uomo, Boss Bottled, very well-known and also popular fragrances in the mainstream sector. Furthermore, some fragrances for Yves Rocher.
We also have Mrs Menardo to thank for the much appreciated Bois d'Armenie.
Born in Cannes, she first studied medicine and biology, which are not the worst qualifications for a perfumer. She trained as a perfumer at the French institute ISIPCA in Versailles, and was then for some time assistant to Michel Almairac. Since 1991 she has been working for the Swiss fragrance manufacturer Firmenich. So Mrs. Ménardo can show quite good references, I think.

But the question is, can Body Kouros do anything??
Yeah, in my opinion, he really can do something. First of all, I don't even find the scent particularly oriental at all.
I'd rather classify it as spicy-sweet. Body Kouros starts right away with a strong eucalyptus tone, which comes across very cool and fresh. Eucalyptus is accompanied by a slight hint of incense and a lot of spice from mace, a spice that should never be missing in my home, I find it finer and less strict than nutmeg After a while the scent becomes a bit sweeter due to benzoin, but there is also a certain pungency throughout the entire fragrance, this may be the camphor tree. Camphor likes to tingle its nose a bit. The sweetness itself is not extreme and does not stick in the nose.

In my opinion, all this is a very balanced combination, nothing scratches and stings, nothing is obtrusive and nothing is too heavy.
And in comparison to the original Kouros no animal is sneaking around. That makes the scent for me in any case wearable and sympathetic.
The fragrance retains its cool undertone throughout, as the eucalyptus always remains in the lead.
By the way, I can't see a clear similarity to Le Male. The spicy sweetness may seem quite similar at first, but Body Kouros has its own course and is altogether more reserved.

The whole thing also lasts for a very long time, a normal working day with a good 8 hours is easily possible. A certain scent is present, but with a moderate dosage nobody should get breathlessness.
For going out Body Kouros also makes itself very beautiful.
Due to the cool-looking course, Body Kouros can also be worn in milder temperatures in spring. In summer I have not tried it yet.

One could philosophize about naming for a long time now. Why was Kouros chosen, why Body? One probably thought that under the well-known name Kouros the fragrance would sell better. And Body... Well, let's not go there. We all know that one applies scents to certain parts of the body :-)

For my taste, Annick Ménardo has created a fine and pleasant fragrance here, which I love to wear and where I can find nothing to blame.
The droids you seek...
Or: In search of the heavy, sweet winter bewilderer.
But now in order.
In winter 2017 Just Rock! from Zadig & Voltaire sucked me almost nischig into our fragrance hobby, so I started looking for alternatives for this winter. Sweet I like, and so the Mainstreamer Eros, the Gold Bar, Armani's Code Profumo, Spicebomb and some other rival had to compete for the test.
What does this have to do with Kouro's body? They all have a similar scent intention and effect, behind all of them there is - for me - a common idea, vision: heavy, dark, sticky seducers with perseverance and - despite mainstream airs - their own character. Presents, albeit not complex, fragrances that look like the Ultra Mâle bottle: Dark blue, devouring, almost sticky, but nevertheless refreshed by a certain fruitiness (Spicebomb: tobacco is also somehow a fruit), except for Code Profumo (how does the almond get in there?) also without any real course, just fading out less intensively. No annoying flowery or bright roaring in the base, no playful nicheiness, just Christmas.
But still: These are not the droids I was looking for.
Now Kouros Body comes into play: He also plays sweet and resinous. Eucalyptus gives it a freshness that makes it mMn even conditionally suitable for summer, at least in the evening. This retro note makes him stand out among the above-mentioned honeymouths and makes him so attractive for me, because, in contrast to the above suspects, he enters into a symbiosis with the inherent smell of the skin, which gives him something mysterious, almost animal. At least that's how I perceive Kouro's body. I don't notice a differentiated course with him either, but that's what I was looking for.
Kouros Body is not as serious as One Million, not as exciting as Code Profumo, does not seduce as youthful as Eros, but is a character head with which you can express your preference for sweet-spicy orientals in the office.
The power is strong in him.
NasiGoreng
Quite different than hoped for =(
Hi everyone!

Here's my very first comment, although I've been passively following this forum for ages - but finally joined it to contribute my mustard! ;-)
And since I don't have the skills of a "nose sommelier" or "fragrance connoisseur" and can filter out all the ingredients individually (I like it or not!), I'm not a "nose sommelier" or "fragrance connoisseur" - and unfortunately I like a lot...), I already ask for mild indulgence!

To the fragrance:
After I read here that he should be quite eucalyptus-heavy after all, he interested me very much! And YES - I still know the normal KOUROS from my storm and urge time! ;-)
I really(!) set out on a search from Munich to Berlin to get hold of a little sniffer. But of course all shops and perfumeries did not have this scent!
And: save it to ask any fragrance consultant in - no matter which - shop. Everybody, but really everybody has no idea! Quote: "...no, the one we have is white - but the box is black!" Huh? She's blue with me! But no matter! It gets really bad when she ADVANCES the "silver" next to it: "this one is also black - but it says silver on it. Hmm, so now I don't even know what to do!??? How do we do that? Body? So you mean a body spray or something?" - I'll save you the rest! D
Thanks to the perfume JoT (mny thx!) I got a bottling and unfortunately I have to say: I am disappointed! Eucalyptus? You did? Where?
For me it smells really very similar to a mixture of JOOP! Homme and Le Male from "Maulesel".
Too bad actually!

Conclusion:
Sometimes not getting it is the lesser evil...

VG!
Hari

ColinM
Unrelated to Kouros, but a real keeper!
Benzoin, synthetic incense and sour balsamic-anisic greenish herbs (eucaliptus and sage) is exactly what you get at the opening, soon developing a warm, rather bold anisic-almondy aftertaste which I wouldn’t know which note to attribute to exactly – quite sure there’s spices here, definitely tonka above all, as I get a whole sweet Oriental base accord, made smokier by that woody incense note. So, shortly a sweet, kind of soft but at the same time round and bold (almost heavy actually) balsamic and nearly-heavily spiced anisic-resinous-herbal Oriental blend. Not the slightest connection to Kouros to pretty much any extent; but still a remarkable scent to say the least, more than versatile and easy to wear, really “simple” and effortless – almost naif and slightly tacky for the first hour or so (far less than it may have been with these notes, though). Then, after some three or four hours, an unexpectedly mellow and “grey” late-drydown arrives, with a really peculiar sort of discreet and dusty incense-starch note that reminded me of the smell of freshly-laundered garments. Slightly aromatic, kind of “gassy” and breezy, really clean. And nearly completely different from what came before, to any extent; the heavy spices are gone, not much more sweetness left, just this immensely enjoyable thin fog of almost-avantgarde smoky incense with an anisic vein and a crisp substance. Quite a twist if compared to the almost juvenile and kind of flashy early stages, which are more all about thick resinous spices. I wouldn’t define Body Kouros a gem, but we’re almost there - a true keeper for sure, with a quite distinctive informal and playful vibe then unexpectedly and effortlessly morphing into a classy and enveloping drydown.

8/10

P.S. I wasn’t aware this has been (allegedly) “heavily” reformulated, but just in case - my bottle is the older one.

Creamy Benzoin...
I love this fragrance! It's made by perfumer Annick Menardo who always takes unusual notes and never disappoints in her creations... Bvlgari Black, Dior Bois d'Argent and Lolita Lemipcka Au Masculin, each one of them different, unique and outstanding...

Body Kouros is no exception... It is a creamy, resinous benzoin and eucalyptus fragrance (seriously, how many fragrances do you know that have that note?). It is at times resinous, camphorous & balsamic... and has a hint of something slightly herbal or medicinal (almost menthol-like), which comes from the eucalyptus and mace (clary sage). But it really is all about the creamy benzoin and incense. Benzoin as a note has a very vanillic type smell... and this does smell like vanilla, a very creamy, resinous, dark vanilla (along with amber). I love it!

I picture perhaps an old temple or cave somewhere in Asia... it has this really exotic smell which I can't put my finger on. The design of the bottle I think also reflects this aspect (I own the older bottle).

I think either men or women could wear this fragrance... but it would smell incredible on a man, as it's sweet, but in a very dark, seductive way. It's a great one, quite underrated in my opinion. A really great, dark, sweet choice for men, and any daring women!

VmasterVmaster 4 months ago
Vintage (partial glass bottle) smells miles better than Pi by Givenchy. Current Body Kouros smells almost exactly like Pi by Givenchy.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
A well behaved oriental, made to please the masses and not really to outshine the regular Kouros more extreme notes. Very nice but common.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 years ago
A unique fragrance that offers a blend of licorice-eucalyptus top, and a benzoin-cedar base. 4/5 for vintage, 3/5 for the current one.

Dankeschön:) es war ein ganz spontaner Schuss
by Seejungfrau
by Moriarty
by Vmaster
by Vmaster

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent