Cinéma (2004) Eau de Parfum

Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design: Line Vautrin

Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for women and was released in 2004. The scent is sweet-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesClementine, Almond, Cyclamen
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmaryllis, Jasmine sambac
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Vanilla, White musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.12.2018

Nice is underrated
Just read the book of Nadja Spiegelmann, another halfway interesting book about neurotic families and the only passage that stuck to my mind so far is when she talks about her English teacher claiming that "nice" is not a compliment and the word should be abolished all together...and Nadja stating that years later she found out that nice is a really rare and valuable virtue.
What's wrong with nice?

Cinema is nice. Not overwhelming, but nice. Nice citrus, nice flowers, nice vanilla. Never too much of any. A little shy sillage- and longevity-wise. Nothing outstanding, nothing attracting attention. I heard comments like "nice", "boring", "unspecific","girly" most of the time.
I agree with mademoiselle Spiegelmann: nice is underrated.
Nice clothes, jewellery or even people usually don't catch your eye immediately but become close to your heart on the long run: while you are busy searching for even bigger excitment you might realise that you have grown really fond of the basic-piece-skirt that you just bought for a job interview, a string of pearls that was handed down to you from your grandmother and the girl that was never the center of the party or your attention when you first met but is now your best and most loyal friend.

I finished a bottle of the "boring" cinema because it's easy to wear, year round and to most occasions, and everyone likes it without cinema ever being too loud. And I bought another bottle. It is just comfy and simple and pleasant.
And that is really nice:)
Fleeting beauty
Beautiful, but so fleeting. I douse the heck out of her, and two hours later she is barely there. She is almost too discreet for me to be considered as an evening frag. So I will enjoy her more in the daytime, and carry the bottle with me to reapply every two hours. She gets the love sticker from me nevertheless, because she is truly beautiful, but I am still quite disappointed when it comes to her longevity.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
A million iterations of the platinum blonde
I'm pleased that at least this perfume has the substance to divide opinions somewhat -- to my nose, Cinéma is very much a nice auntie kind of perfume. Definitely classy, always pleasant and well-mannered, never too much or too little. I detect a gourmand aspect, too, but whatever citric there is about it is so fleeting I couldn't pinpoint it.

The comparison to the glamour of movies stars of old is very apt. Beyond the obvious big names, those beautiful women came and went (as they still do) as soon as any sign of age crept in, always replaced by a younger version of themselves, never unique or remembered. That is what the glamour of the cinema is built upon, that neverending re/cycling of looks and maybe talent, and that is what I'm reminded of when I sniff Cinéma: the fifty flavours of vanilla pudding, varied just so those who consume their image won't get bored too easily but staying the same in their essence so the punters will keep coming back for more.

It's a well-made floral, oriental vanilla, and so generic it will probably remind you of loads of things you have smelled before. If Shalimar is too gutsy (or alternately old-lady) for you, Cinéma is a worthy contender for the favoured comfort/luxury scent. If you like that sort of thing, you will love Cinéma, an it certainly has its strengths; if not, keep looking.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Golden Necklace
When the nights grow long and cold, I always look for a nice scent to lighten up my mood. Cinema is one of those scents. It smells gorgeous mixed with the cold air when its honeyed floral notes are balanced by the chilly weather outside. Cinema is smooth and comforting but it is not a scent that I just want to cuddle with while reading a nice book on a stormy night. It is great for a night out when I need something more sophisticated than just a straight up vanilla gourmand. Cinema is very attractive and elegant scent. She is not an eccentric diva but a woman who is classy, considerate and warm.

The composition is largely based on the sweet honeyed notes and vanilla but I also like how it brings the sensual beauty of jasmine in the mix. After the quick fresh spring flowers opening, the scent transforms into this beautiful sweet floral scent which stays linear but quite lovely surrounding me with its smooth golden wrap. Nothing is out of place here. It is like a nice, well-made evening gown, which looks classy and beautiful without revealing too much. As the scent transforms into a dry down stage, it continues to be smooth and sweet while vanilla, benzoin and amber take over. The scent lasts for at least 7 hours and has decent projection. Few sprays last all day.

My overall score is 8.5/10. This scent is pure luxury. If gold had a scent, I think it would smell like Cinema. I recommend it if you are looking for a nice, smooth vanilla oriental scent. It is not there to shock you but it is reliable, elegant and easy to wear.
Classy and sophisticated
A very classy and rich perfume. Floriental Vanilla to my nose out of the bottle and that is the characteristic it reveals on my skin as well. A pretty floral concoction highlighted by a most exquisite creamy vanilla. If you have the money for it, don't hesitate to add this gem to your collection.
A bad movie
I am so glad I got to sample this before (blind) buying. I had high hopes for this one, but it left me feeling disappointed. Right after application I thought that this was nothing new, just another generic (synthetic) vanilla based wannabe classic perfume. Been there done that, seen this smelled that. I didn't find it very pleasant, quite cloying and annoying at times. Many people rave about the vanilla notes in Cinema, personally I didn't get any sweetness.
I guess it's all about chemistry, but on me the citrus notes linger for ever and I dislike citrus. I want a perfume to make me feel good, and go "aaaaahhh" when I smell it. You know that feeling of wanting to sniff so hard that you want to absorb every single molecule, and you can never get enough? Well, with Cinema I could only take very short sniffs, had to pull my arm away from my nose after a fraction of a second because it makes me feel irritated every time I smell my wrist.
Pass.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 9.0/10
Cinema
With one purchase of Y.S.L Cinema and in
return takes you to a world of the highest
Echelons of Glamour where Gods and Goddeses rule the silver screen irreproachable divas in exclusive suites
made of finest marble & gold flowers of
Calla white Pomeranians tip toe across
the bed and servants wait on you hand
and foot ala Sophia Loren or Cate Blanchet or male actors like Mastroianni
or George Clooney driving Lamborghinis
though Roman Plazzos or going to an exclusive and Elegant restaurants drinking Martini and wearing Armani or
Dolce & Gabbana while the Paparazzi
hounds waits outside.

But what does this picture smells like?
the top note starts very sweet with an
sugar note then dries to an nutty note
of almond blossom then the flowery hypnotic scent of peony in it's beauty,
and an curious little flower Amaryllis an delicate floral makes it more feminine jasmine drifts quietly in the background and the ending performance
dries exquisitely with warm amber
musk with it animalistic undertones
and the ending of the show is the powdery texture of Vanilla
Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Classic elegance
While I agree that Cinema is a lovely, elegant and inoffensive scent, I have experienced what many other reviewers have casually mentioned; it reminds me of something I've smelt before.

I don't mean that in a bad way, and I certainly wouldn't be put off this fragrance because of it. After racking my brain for a few hours I haven't pin-pointed exactly what it smells like however I think it's a little similar to Organza by Givenchy, Poeme by Lancome and Donna Karan's Gold.

In regards to the scent, I find it to be very classy and cosy. It has all the glitz-and-glamour to be worn to special occasions and the comforting vanilla in the drydown that makes for a wonderful casual, 'hanging around the house' type scent.

Cinema fits the oriental category perfectly, with rich ambery and musky notes surrounded by sweet, honey-like florals and thick vanilla. The woman that wears this fragrance, in my mind, is mature and confident.

It also has a soft, powdery-like quality which I really admire. Cinema certainly wasn't as strong as I expected it to be. For some strange reason I expected a loud and brash floral explosion.

While the sillage is quite average, the lasting power is not. Cinema lasts considerably well, at least 9 hours so far. A somewhat creamy and rich oriental, that I do whole-heartedly recommend.

• by Pepdal by Pepdal
  • by Magdulenka by Magdulenka
  • by Hasi by Hasi
  • by EvaK by EvaK
  • by Echtdufte by Echtdufte
  • by pudelbonzo by pudelbonzo
  • by Momo63 by Momo63