Kouros (1981) Eau de Toilette

Kouros (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design: Alain de Mourgues

Kouros (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 1981. The scent is animal-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Pierre Bourdon

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Tarragon, Coriander, Clary sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Orris root, Jasmine, Patchouli, Vetiver, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Honey, Leather, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Frankincense, Civet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.03.2019

3.0 9.0 10.0 8.0/10
Greatly helpful Review
Aristotle Onassis
Oh, you perfume! Do you want to move in, or do you remind me of my Fadder? Are you, Oh, you more animal than I want to be? Some like knofi (garlic), some not at all. More is hardly to be reported.

This shows, however, how far overstretched expectations can certainly lead to technicolor-like eccentric descriptions, not necessarily. Of course, the bottle already plays with the Greek identity between urban past and rural present. Even then, Greece was already hanging on, until 1974 a flawless military dictatorship - the GDR was a joke against that. Onassis won't rip it out anyway.

All this has nothing to do with the scent. "Kouros" is a big one. Ingredients that are rather attributed to soap do the opposite, namely physical presence and proud metabolization: one/fruit smells of what has been eaten. Lavender, iris, aldehyde, that's soap. Coriander whatever is also soap. And yet it smells of a well seasoned, light meal between two splashes in the surf, sun abundant. I only see animals as far as a human being is also an animal when he plays. The tension between clean and alive is well created.

The presence of the fragrance is peculiarly smooth. It remains closed in itself, hardly allows entry for the environment, it does not mix well. That's how a man carries a badge with him.

Similarly, "Tactics" by Shiseido is a little more open, but less colourful. Apart from the concession to the mass market and its expectations, for me "Kouros" is an imaginative work of art with a lot of fun. Typical Bourdon, you could say the man has a sense of humor!
9.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10
The White Lion
A long time ago, around the year 2012, it must have been the turn, at least at a time when I hadn't had so much experience with fragrances, I read about Kouros for the first time and that he should be one of the most controversial fragrances to be judged. Curious and inexperienced I entered the next perfumery and sprayed it directly on my skin without warning. The "shock" with the following commentary turned out accordingly. I'd never smelled anything like it before. It was probably the animal touch. That was anno 2012.
Now we are writing the year 2019 and I have found through many testing and re-testing:
There are scents that are not immediately apparent because of their complexity; these scents must be "LEARNED". And I've also learned that Kouros is definitely one of them. You have to really deal with him and who is ready for it discovers one of the most fascinating fragrances with full fugue and
Since 1981 has its firm place among the classics. I chose the above title because it combines different attributes. On the one hand, it has something very clean, soapy, clean about it.
The bottle is a perfect match for him. On the other side is of course what I think is a wonderfully animalistic wild civet note which gives it roughness but also warmth, eroticism and softness.
Various ladies from my circle of acquaintances have confirmed to me that they perceive Kouros as very soft.
One should be careful, however, with the dosage because overdosed, and that goes very quickly he will something
as I find it pompous. It's majestic, unassailable, wild and very clean, so:
The white lion

10.0 9.0 10.0 8.5/10
Kouros - sensual like a Greek god
Kouros was my first men's perfume in the '80s. The bottle first spoke to me and then the scent. I also remember the advertisements showing a young man in white trousers in front of a Greek backdrop. The association with a Greek god seems to be wanted. And so is the scent. No matter how intellectually you enter a room scented with Kouros, it will beguile your senses. Purity, whiteness (here based on the colour) and animalistic! I admit, the scent is violent - but those who can wear it have a timeless companion in it that is unique. And in a world of sweetish/heavy (and also good) unit scents, Kouros stands out. You have to want that, and whoever wears it unites with body and nature. The spirit is left out. Close your eyes and make me...

9.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10
Sensory explosion
My first comment here:
The brother of my mother's boyfriend wore this scent for the first time when I was 12 years old. I remember how thrilled he was. And my mother, too. He couldn't get out of the swarm at all. And so am I. This clean, beautiful fragrance that Kouros left behind was magical. The bottle fits the eye like a fist. White!
He smells white. Whatever that is. Whenever I think of the smell, and I can smell it any time I imagine it, I think of this clean white bottle with the wide spray button that sprays the perfume so beautifully far away. This clean, white, soapy and beautiful fragrance smells like nothing I've ever smelled before. For this creation alone, the perfumer Alain de Mourgues deserves a fragrance oscar.
Kouros doesn't smell like urine. Urine is biting and unpleasant. Kouros is a pleasant fragrance with a monster projection and durability.
I'm gonna order a bottle of that white gold right now, since mine's empty now.
9.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10
Xanthon
Animal in the modern world
I am an animal, no amount of modernization can't change this fact. No amount of cleaning, clothing, and grooming can't change this fact. I can't be tamed by social norms. Amimals are dirty out in nature, they are proud of their smell. I am proud of my smell, it is intoxicating and captivating. This taboo on BO is modern invention and keeps the animal inside me hidden.
I see the point in it, maybe because we are overcrowded. This animal smell can be too overpowering for the modern world. That's why we take bath more often than was taken back in old days. Bathing makes me clean but my smell is momentarily gone. But it will be back, it will be back! I will hit the world with the animal that's inside me. I am dirty. but I am clean just for the sake of modern world. I don't want to smell like what I am not supposed to. I want to smell like what I am.
I am the animal in the modern world. I am Kouros!
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10
On the prowl
Les dieux vivants ont leur parfum. Kouros.

1984 Charles of the Ritz (Paris) version. Long review.
The scent of gods.

Kouros. A marvel of 1980’s perfumery, Yves Saint Laurent’s ‘most expensive perfume for men’ came 4 years after Opium, the oriental that changed the world and shaped a generation into excess and decadence. Not without controversy, while Opium was said to encourage drug use and illicit substances, Kouros (codenamed Eros during development) was deemed ‘excessively dirty’ and far too provocative. In the last golden decade of quality perfumery, Yves Saint Laurent showed the world that vision and guts and perseverance are necessary risks to succeed. Without them, one simply follows. Yves lead.

Kouros is one of the most polarizing fragrances, a sign of genius and innovation, a true ‘love it or hate it’ perfume. I, feel it’s one of the most beautiful creations and for me it’s the best male perfume ever created. But that’s just me, and while I adore it, I know many can’t stand it.
A massive hit since day 1, Kouros came at the right time (1981, the decade of excess and power and greed), at the right place (Paris - only a house like YSL could launch an equally provocative perfume for men like they did for women with the blockbuster Opium), and with the right promotion/marketing (the white statuesque bottle, the name, the scent; Pierre Bourdon’s magnum opus).
In the following years many tried to imitate its success, some better than others but none managed to surpass it. The success of Kouros lies in the dichotomy of clean and dirty, purity and carnality, and that couldn’t be copied.

To envision Kouros, one must envision imagery.
Imagine a beach in Greece, Lalaria beach in Skiathos for example. The water is deep crystalline blue, the sun is burning brightly but the gentle breeze that hits the rocks cools the hot August air. There’s no noise, hardly anyone, and you are lying there basking in the glory of the summer. Suddenly, a well tanned, tall, muscular hunk appears a few feet away from you. Watching his statuesque physique, you catch a whiff of him. He smells of soap, probably from the shower he took before coming down to the beach, and of a light herbal deodorant. The smell mixes with the scent of sea salt, iodine, open air and ocean. This is the clean and showered opening of Kouros.
But then again, Kouros is primordially erotic, sensual, of desire. And this hunk soon goes swimming, to cool down in the clear blue waters. From afar you gaze, watching how he swims with artistic grace, taking long strokes until he disappears into the ocean, only to emerge refreshed, with a white brief, that barely hides his masculinity. He smiles politely at you, and lays down on his towel. You feel embarrassed but somehow, you can’t stop staring at him. He lights a cigarette, and suddenly you smell the smoke that comes out of his full lips, the light sweat, the smell of salt evaporating from his body, the smell of Coppertone sun oil; you smell him. And the smell, combined, feels animal, debaucherous, lustful, hedonistic. There’s nothing explicitly sexual, but you get aroused simply by the thought of it; a hot summer, a one night stand, a perfect stranger. Living dangerously, youth is risky and hormone driven. Let go and surrender.

He is Kouros. A masterful combination of natural civet, castoreum, costus root, Animalis base from Synarôme (later used in Montana’s eponymous first creation and falling out of style by the late 80’s), leather, honey, musk, geranium, artemisia, jasmine, patchouli, and many more that combine in true artistry to create something bigger than the sum of its parts.
Kouros isn’t animalic just for the sake of it, which he is - one of the most animalic fragrances created; he is animal. He is as clean or as dirty as you want him to be.
He will either lure you closer or pull you apart, but he won’t leave you indifferent.
He’s smart, hot, killer smile and big attitude. He’s the boy momma said to stay away from, and it’s one of the reasons many women wear Kouros with amazing panache (perfume has no gender). But if you fall for him, there’s no going back.

Once upon a time, a fragrance lead you to dream, fantasize, ready to conquer the world.
It was pure emotion, art, sensuality.
In the early 90’s all that was big and powerful was deemed wrong, and minimalism entered our world, while big hair and big sillage left slowly from the back door. A big wave of Calone was coming to wash us of sins and perfume. Kouros started falling out of favor and all the reformulations that came didn’t do any favors; by the late 90’s/early 2000’s he was slowly fading away. Today, what you find in stores is a mere glimpse of what once was ‘le parfum des dieux vivants’.

Times change, everything evolves (or not, depending how you see it) and people move forward. Perfumery came at its opus with fireworks and left slowly as if a mortal sin. Today, very very few perfumes have the surprise and shock factor of Kouros, and even fewer offer something new, emotion, personality.
Once upon a time, perfumes were a big Dreamland.
And inside a white ceramic statuesque bottle, living gods had their perfume. Kouros.
7.0 7.0 9.0 9.0/10
Konsalik
Preferred activity: Listen to a Ferro 90 tape with Mendelssohn-Bartholdy in Opel Manta.
I obviously have a deep love for the '80s Powerhouse. Or a partial smell blindness opposite "animalischen" Untenrum-Noten. Or, more worryingly, a dubious love for the subject "Untenrum". Could be anything. In any case, I have so far liked every (!) reactionary-rumpety silverback of the late seventies and eighties. Not indiscriminate, but always at least good (Antaeus), if not very good (e.g. Santos). Then there is not much left with elective affinity through self-reconstruction to the country nobleman encountering the loss of meaning in dignity - there the little Duisburg boy' reappears again, who spent his conscious childhood in the late eighties and nineties, surrounded by breast hair and moccasins to jeans and without socks.

The relaxed and friendly YouTuber Sebastian ("Sebästschen") from the "Smelling Great" channel has now chosen YSL's Kouros as number 1 on his list of "Great fragrances your dad used to wear" - and at the same time has relegated other classics such as Yatagan, Grey Flannel, Eau Sauvage, Azzaro p.H., Caron p.u.H. and Antaeus to the first place. It's all my booty pattern. And then there was the exquisite tastelessness of the bottle, as the advertising at the time suggested, which was based on a stylized Doric column. Wonderful!

In the beginning, there is actually a certain uncouth "roughness" that can be described as animalistic. However, this is not about the isolated Zibet portion, which should later come to bear more clearly, but about the connection of the Zibet with the ethereal head notes such as tarragon and coriander. Bitty, yeah, but wounds don't get beaten: "Oha!" instead of "yuck!". In my opinion, however, the actual highlight is clearly the actual fragrance process: Kouros becomes much simpler and more uniform in the heart, and the Classic Powerhouse soap to be expected adjusts itself. But what a one! A mildly spicy, warm waxy honey soap with a deep, very tastefully dosed portion of frankincense. I usually react sensitively to incense; not that I don't like it, but incense tends to dominate my olfactory center and push other scent impressions to one side. Here, however, everything stands side by side in almost "fine" harmony: honey, wax, soap, incense. And just a noticeable bit of "down there". A surprisingly cultivated 80s macho roughneck. A welcome synthesis of affinity by choice and blood.

EDIT 08.09.2018: The comparison with a sample from an old vintage bottling revealed the following: I am not odorless when it comes to animal notes! The smell of a superficially maintained but obviously in need of renovation pub toilet keeps the above-mentioned warm and soft notes at bay for hours. Housekeeper's comment: "I couldn't sleep the night away because a very Stone Age part of my brain was desperately trying to stop me from sleeping next to a sleeping cougar."
The harsh unambiguity of the vintage fragrance inevitably makes one think about the relationship between the human condition and the changing perception of the zeitgeist and world spirit: How the hell could such a pee-pee beast have been considered acceptable not so long ago? Blog stuff.

PS: Not to be misunderstood: I liked the vintage version. However, the reformulation seems to me to preserve the balance between boldness and public suitability. Perhaps for the reasons given above, adjustments to the composition of some perfumes are actually sometimes... necessary?
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10
The dandy.
Period. Short and sweet.
"But not you!" There opens a second inner voice that vehemently contradicts the first. "What is a dandy anyway, or what do you think he is?"
The first voice answers consistently and promptly...: "Such an exaggerated male type. He walks like he's got pads under his armpits and a spacer between his feet. He smells like a polecat to prove his power olfactory.
Such a paföng with Zibet, Bibergeil and other animal prisoners, which drives the nose of so many sex comrades to the white embers, because he "pollutes" the air for them.
And the ladies are pulling in his direction like magnets.... "
"Stop! Stop! Stop!!!" warns voice number 2.
"All clichés. At least most of it.
But take a closer look and sniff. Not all the concentrated "manhood" or what you think it is!"...
Thoughtfulness and short silence.
Meanwhile I get a note of rose, Iris's powder, a bouquet of carnations and refined spices, plus a large portion of warm earth.
Voice 1 seems to be a little bent. And he's not so sure of his own business anymore "He's got his soft side too.... and he's a little dreamy, too.
And he likes to go into the woods. (I wouldn't have believed him at all).... But don't tell anyone..."
"Are you ashamed of your "other side", the first reasonable step?" voice 2 means now a little more gentle and less annoying.
"No, but I want it to be at least a little secret. Do not let the cat out of the bag immediately..."
So a dandy, a bit extravagant, quite (mostly) sympathetic. No special boaster, but also not shy, no "womanizer", but sometimes a bit brash...
With a side that is just as "more tender" and finer, with a feeling for details that "get the message across".
Both "voices" get along again, even if now and then quiet "banter" can be felt.
Something curious, then. Like a so-called dandy...
Krabat
This is not a love song...
When I recently wandered through the perfume department of a big department store chain again and worked through my test list, I sniffed this devil on the test strip and he knocked me down.
Spicy, herbaceous, different.
Sprayed on the skin... well... it is herbaceous and bitter, but unfortunately it is covered by "Puma cage". Very briefly the Patchouli looks around a far away corner, waves and is then already gone again. After about half an hour the Puma slowly retreats and... there it is: Leather marinated in oakmoss and honey. No trace of the expected sweetness.
The fragrance becomes slower and faster to a powdery "old men" fragrance.

Once the pungent, animal-like smell has faded away, I think Kouros is not bad at all and can also be worn by ladies. I still liked him better on the test strip
10.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10
Prateik26
Never miss this frag out it's called the loud speaker
Kouros edt is a hell of loud speakers for the ones who sniff it .... Ideal for cold whether wearing a cool t shirt just imagine women will surely compliment if your clubbing ,, and sprays needed only 3 behind your ears and on on the chest will project like a animalistic ....
I went on 5 sprays and it almost choked the air conditioned room or car .....

It's a steal if you love hard fragrance like good longetivity and don't go on notes because it's totally different
9.0 9.0 9.0 8.0/10
Tightrope walk
- strongly polarizing and absolute niche fragrance
- either you love him or you hate him
- when you know this fragrance appeals to friends and family - no problem. But absolutely unsuitable for work, perhaps even in the business sector. The escape threshold is very low. I like this long-lasting fragrance very much, but unfortunately not my environment. Therefore no purchase. Absolutely test and do not buy blind. But it has what it takes to become an absolute legend
7.0 8.0 9.0 7.5/10
What a potent stinker!
Here they are now wooing on my wrist, Kouros on the left, Eros on the right. The two Proleten from two generations, one in the Ford Capri, the other in Papa´s Tiguan, exemplary expression of perfume historical contemporary history. The fact that today, where generic syrup bombs and discreet androgynous flatterers interpret the fairy tale of sugar back and forth, the Kouros, albeit in a weakened form, are still brought to the man is in itself a statement. But who buys something like that?
The two don't give each other anything, they scream "I'm here!" and make their way through the crowds. But it seems that at Kuro´s you were older if you wanted the right to have fun, or even an expensive perfume to wear. Where today it seems normal to have dozens of U20 "Beastmode" - Fragrances a la 1 million to choose from before the weekly exit, the industry at that time was apparently less success-pressed, which led to an almost naive creativity. That's the only way I can explain Kouros to myself. There's nothing smooth ironed here, and I don't think it's conventional either. Rather daring and an unthinkable risk for today's marketing departments.
For me as a fragrance beginner, fresh bergamot notes make up the main part of the Kouros experience, coupled with this almost unheard-of smoky animal note that many would describe as unpleasant. The whole remains faithful for a long time, until the honey takes over, and the fight-dog whistles back. Now that you've met, you don't have to bite anymore. I did not know the name before, although I grew up in his time, but the smell of the sprayed sample was undefined familiar to me. So it must have been quite common at some point. But today? I can't smell it anywhere. He somehow seems out of place, like from another time, like He-Man, Magnum or a Colt for all occasions.
The current bottle (without the glass container) is less offensive. Actually a beautiful hand cuddler with a solid distributing sprayer that is easy to aim.
For me, such a perfume can no longer be judged in itself, nor can I see the graphics and sound of old games or the editing in old films without their temporal context. At least for me the intellectual pigeonholes change too quickly and, unlike, say, music and literature, there seems to be less really overpowering common denominators in the world of scents.
But precisely for this reason I am glad that they are still available, the Kouros´ Fahrenheits and Joop Hommes, although often reformulated. For their uncomfortable uniqueness, their otherness, their charm and character provide a head cinema of impressions, sensitivities, feelings and memories that hardly any other art form is able to achieve in such a dense and accessible way. A journey through contemporary history at Douglas.
In 20 years it will be Eros' turn to tell us his story.
Funky Brew
I do love to rock a funky brew at times, and was attracted to this by its reputation. It took merely a quick test in the boutique to convince me that it belongs in my collection 'in person'.

I do think, though, that there is a tendency for folks to get carried away about this. I have known for a long time that perfumes are 'thrilled' or 'enthused' with funky components. But it was always my understanding that the amount infused is never such as to become patent. I think this one does stay within that bound - but not by a wide margin! It really does push the envelope!

But I think Hard Leather, by Laurent Mazzone, exceeds this one in that respect - but it is of course thunderously expensive - like, five times as much!! Also, Salome, by Papillon exceeds it. And Wardasina, by Sospiro. But these are all seriously high-end! At the pricepoint of Kouros it has no rival funkiness-wise. And it was potenter in the eighties was it? That stands to reason, what with we are living in a fascist IFRA state now. What happened to the idea that if something disagrees with your constitution you simply choose to stop using it or doing it? Wherever did that idea go?

And what's all this Man Silver, by Milton Lloyd, business? Sounds a bit far-fetched to me. If I find it I'll give it a fair go with open mind, but I'm not buying it blind, despite its low price. And why is there no review of it on this site?

Would anyone say this is at all similar to Chanel ?5? Both are aldehyde- & civet-heavy. Not ¨like¨ it as such, but ¨similar¨ in a ¨certain¨ way.
7.0 8.0 10.0 7.5/10
Kouros circa 2010
I was lucky enough to find this older bottle and this is my review of a legendary/infamous fragrance released way back in 1981. Please check it out and enjoy.

MichVaillant
Nothing can prepare you adequately for the moment when you first experience Kouros. I tried it for the first time after reading oodles about it and smelling hundreds of other fragrances, many of which were strong, vintage fragrances, and I thought Kouros (or any other fragrance for that matter) could not wow me at that point. I was wrong. I guess a good analogy would be the experience of a long-time big city dweller seeing New York City for the first time. You may have lived in big cities your whole life, but NYC still wows you at first sight; with all that is good *and* that is bad about it. You may love it or hate it, but you cannot stay indifferent; just like you cannot be indifferent about Kouros.
I have only used (semi-)vintage Kouros from early to mid 2000s, possibly the last generation of bottles with the metallic shoulders and bottoms, and have loved it ever since the first spray. It is fresh, sweet, animalic and woodsy all at the same time, and lasts long and projects well to the point of preposterousness. The basenotes are more on the sweet/woodsy side than the other aspects, and seem to last for days, especially on fabric. A couple sprays on your skin can easily survive a light shower. If you look at the right places, (mainly online, or course), you may still be able to find a reasonably priced (semi-)vintage bottle as of late 2015.
7.5 10.0 10.0 7.0/10
Concrete and evergoing
I don't go with the smell, if you're gonna learn about the details of perfume read the other reviews, but here's some information which you may like to know.

Normally under some circumstances a perfume goes retired, reformulated or flankered. One is when a perfume doesn’t bring expected benefit. If a formula doesn't fit the contemporary taste, it goes under change or another flanker is released with titles as "sport" and so.

Kouros is an exception! There are several flankers for this perfume but instead of Body Kouros, none brought the expected benefit as the forefather brings! This perfume is that solid and inflexible that hardly a nose can emerge a softer version with guarantee for oversale. Impossible!

Kouros is not a perfume designed by greedy wallets of a house, nor a perfume conducted by accident, it's Pierre Bourdon's art.

Kouros is an 80's child and since then it has always met the utmost expectations such as character, power, sillage, charm, sexiness, etc.
It is a concrete fragrance, yet, so calculated in composition. Today even after passing three decades from his life, it is still on top of the house and this shows how genius Mr. Laurent was and what a maestro perfume Mr. Bourdon is.
7.5/10
10.0/10
THE Masterpiece
Right at the start of my fragrance collecting, I encountered Kouros. It appeared mysteriously on the shelves of my local Kmart, a variety store that generally, in Australia, carries nothing more fancy than Axe (Lynx) or Blue Stratos. The store apparently had a failed venture into fragrances and I definitely benefitted from it. Two 50ml bottles cost me $14.40 in total and I bought the bottles unsniffed. When I got home I opened up one box and sprayed, whoa, I was sold straight away.

For me the brilliance of this polarising fragrance is how close it comes to being utterly repulsive, but holds enough back to be magnificent. The sweetness, aromatic notes and civet are balanced so well that I cannot imagine a more perfect blend. The recent reformulation really strips the power away from Kouros and tones down the animalistic aspect big time. I find it hard to identify individual notes in Kouros, but a honeyed, animalistic spicy fragrance is how I would describe it. The sillage and longevity are colossal, at least with the previous formulation, the current one is still, however, good but nowhere near the older.

My wife can barely stand this fragrance (the same with Lapidus pour Homme), but other women I know absolutely love it. As this is my first review on Parfumo, I thought I would start with what I consider to be THE masterpiece of male perfumery.
Absolute Power!
My final bottle of vintage Kouros arrived last summer. Its a 1.6 oz splash. The price was worth it. The splash is the best way to control its power. The aldehydes are hushed. Just a drop is all it takes. This box came from the 1980s with the silver foil. The bottle reminds me of solid marble. It feels so clean and powerful in my hands. It is still radiant and warm. Now the magic begins...

I am forever 20, young and in style. Its 1984 every sniff I take! "When Doves Cry" was new on the radio, Ghostbusters in theaters, my hair was ratted high with mousse, long trenchcoats and elf boots were in style. I was a freshman in college. The world seemed so easy to conquer. Kouros was carefully tucked in my bookbag and worn liberally. I was the only man on campus to sport this fragrance. It helped boost my self esteem as everyone focused attention on me as I entered a classroom.

YSL had created "me" with this classic bottle of luxury. Sure, others would follow-Paco Rabanne PH, Drakkar Noir, Lagerfeld and even CK Calvin. Yes, the perfume revolution began with Kouros. I found that I could control crowds without saying a word! Yes, it was like a chapter from "Perfume" by Suskind! That was the power of the "powerhouse". Ladies had Poison, Opium and Knowing to use.

I never paid attention to the notes. It was this "magical potion" that just worked, honestly! Kouros had this subjugating effect on those around me. It made me feel sexy and magnetizing. I remained single, celibate and the center of attention throughout the 80s. The 90s is another story... Kouros put the "come hither" on anyone I desired. It would accompany me for the rest of my life, through today. Pure Alpha Male...

Now, this 3rd and final bottle of my lifetime is in my hands. I hope to have it used up before I die, because it is too good to take to the grave! Its unfortunate that future generations will not get to feel its power. Yes, I am happy the "despot formula" is on the shelves. I will never own a bottle.

For those of you that developed an aversion to Kouros, you have my sympathy. May you never forget however, that once upon a time the was a mighty fashion house called YSL that made a holy water named Kouros that granted men the power of gods
!!!
2.5 10.0 10.0 6.0/10
Drseid
Good, But Very Polarizing...
Kouros is such a polarizing scent that when I tried it on my skin for the first time I almost expected to need a shower. I am happy to report that at least in my case, I kind of like it. Kouros does indeed have kind of a fresh, but dirty vibe going on as many amateur and professional reviewers alike have stated previously. That said, the statements about it smelling like a man's crotch and similar ilk are off the mark to my nose, at least. I do get the "smells like a cross between a barnyard and a gents' restroom, complete with its urinal cakes and other cover-up freshener" comments, but it is really not in an off-putting way as it is easy to imagine if reading it over and over again. It is not really the kind of smell I personally want to wear, but I would not be offended by smelling it on someone else, as the fresh nature of the scent is far more dominant than the supporting "dirty" notes. I will say that those looking for the notes should read some of the reviews and not be swayed one way or another by the pyramid at the top of this page, as it is much more complex and complete than that indicates, IMO. As for sillage and longevity, they are both superb.

My bottom line feeling on Kouros is it is not for me. That said, I can recommend it to folks who like more challenging scents, but don't want "Secretions Manifiques by ELdO" challenging... This classic is definitely wearable, but just not to my personal tastes. Just go easy on the trigger and avoid a blind buy if possible. 3 stars out of 5.
5.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10
Animalistic beauty
I was expecting something that would bowl me over backwards like the dreaded Secretions Magnifique, but what I smelt was pure and utter bliss.

The reason I enjoy Kouros so much is probably because I adore animalic and musky fragrances. I also don't mind the odd touch of patchouli every now and then in all its earthy glory.

Kouros goes on strong and unforgiving. It's one of those fragrances that say, "here I am, deal with it!" The civet (in its obvious artificial form), stands out a mile alongside a bold, masculine leather accord. In some ways Kouros is not unlike Aramis.

As the scent settles the sillage continues in strength, yet the development makes way for some interesting changes. There's a touch of softness, mainly a floral and soapy kind, that appears towards the drydown. This balances out the composition considerably, causing those somewhat fecal accords to recede and eventually diminish.

I find Kouros quite sexy, but only in small doses. It reminds me of Le Labo's Oud 27, so I am a little surprised that oud isn't listed as a note here.

The longevity and sillage are superb, quite breath-taking actually. Kouros has a tendency to cling to the skin, so bad news for those that wish to scrub this off. I am pleased, as an avid perfume reviewer to have had the opportunity to sample this polarizing and classic fragrance.

KingPin 35 days ago
I had this as a young gun in the 80-ies, but I still can't decide if i love it or hate it. It's polarizing even on an idividual level.+2
Carlitos01 52 days ago
Animalic musky beast mode masterpiece, almost 40 years old (to date). A milestone of the fragrance industry by Bourdon and a must have!+2
AmberScent 151 days ago
After almost 40 years Kouros remains unique, actual and desirable. Together with Opium is the best YSL perfume for me so far... just great!+3
Alex1984 20 months ago
THE animal; love it or hate it, the best masculine. Dirty like the hottest hunk, warm like skin on fire, sex, bulging pants, 80's. ONLY vtg!+2
Elysium 3 years ago
You either like it or you don’t. To me, this is the most animalic thing I know about fragrances. So damn manly, dirty, healing, misterious.+5

by Thizhy
by Thizhy
by K1
by K1
Links 2012, Mitte 2010, Rechts 2005
by Rivegauche
Links die erste Packung ab 1981, in der Mitte eine Packung aus den Neunzigern, die rechte Packung gilt seit 2003
Links 2012, Mitte 2010, Rechts 2005
by Daljit
by Daljit
by Butzi
by Butzi
Alte kleine Probe gefunden. Ich mag den!
by Ilovecoffee