Kouros (1981)Eau de Toilette

Kouros (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Alain de Mourgues

Kouros (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 1981. The scent is animal-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Pierre Bourdon

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Tarragon, Coriander, Clary sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Orris root, Jasmine, Patchouli, Vetiver, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Honey, Leather, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Frankincense, Civet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 29.03.2020.

7.0 9.0 9.0 9.5/10

The divinization of youth
The origin of the word "Kouros" comes from ancient Greece, and refers to the naked statue of a young man standing. It does not represent any young individual in particular, but the very idea of ​​youth. It was a sculpture theme widely used in ancient Greece, and in dedication to the gods in sanctuaries (usually identifying Apollo) and also as a funerary monument. The "Kouros" were usually sculpted with the left foot preceding the right foot, the arms at the sides, and the eyes looking straight ahead.
This concept and its representation was a very dear theme also to the man Yves Saint Laurent. The perfume is portrayed "in house" as embodying the spirit of youthful conquest, and perfection in the male gender. As a fragrance, Yves Saint Laurent intended to conceive a "perfume for a living god". Kouros, as a product concept, inspires the athletic aesthetics of the male body, in an appeal to sensuality. It is dedicated to a generic man, but a manly one, triumphant, and sure of his power.
With Kouros, YSL, developed a bold new concept as an intense aromatic fougére developed with strong animalic and spice notes, but above all, deeply masculine.
The Kouros perfume has proved to be an extremely bi-polar proposition. You either love it or hate it.
Spicy herbs such as laurel, sage and coriander, curbed with aldehydes, start an intense opening that extends with also intense aromatic notes of cloves, geranium and sweet cinnamon. But the perfume's DNA imposes itself as a scent that is associated with a half-human, half-animal masculinity. It is the strong accords of leather and musk, amber and civet, that define the fragrance's honeyed bottom stage and impose themselves as an aura around us.
As I read it in a critic's column, I would like to mention that: "In opposition to its creation process, this perfume is not for a Cristiano Ronaldo or a David Beckham. It is for an Eric Cantona or a Paul Gascoigne ."

How can I rate this divine fragrant concept?
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Opening:......................9,0 (an alluring fougére burst)
Drydown:...................10.0 (an animal, carnal, honeyed deep scent)
Longevity:....................9.0 (up to 10 hours in my skin, with 3 sprays)
Sillage:..........................9.0 (8~10 feet sillage with 2.5 hours of strong projection)
Uniqueness:...............10.0 (it's Kouros!)
Wearability:.................8.5 (not really for war weather)
Versatility:...................8.0 (it's just not suitable for sports, gym or the seaside; avid the vicinity of sensible noses)
Compliments:.............8.5 (well above average, but has its haters)
Quality:.......................10.0 (well above average)
Presentation:...............6.5 (even if I understant the concept of similarity to an ancient Greece column, I am not forced to love its white plastic look)
Price:.............................7.5 (currently sells around €65.00+taxes)
Overall rating: 8,73/10.00
between 7 and 8 =above average;
between 8 and 9 = recommended;
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Opinion: If you can handle and love civet, leather and musk this is your scent.
Recommended? Yes, both as a perfume and an industry icon.
Blind buy worthy? Not really. Take it easy and try it first.

Music: George Michael, Elton John - "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"
10.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10

Reiser
The smell of the white city
Mr Reiser spent the early 80s as a student in Paris. The Coming out had been completed at the end of the 70s in the homeland. Now there was a lot of horizon, and Paris stood up for it. The future a white sheet that we would describe as long and beautifully as possible. So we hoped. The city was white then, too. White pants and loud shirts, the uniform on boulevard and campus. We would have liked to buy them from Saint Laurent, who made the most beautiful ones, but we couldn't afford it. We just looked at them in his store. It was white. And scented with kouros. In the white customer toilet the milk-white Kourosseife. YSL was one of our heroes. He had already gotten naked in the 70s, when the shame of the province still ruled us. Now we lived in his city, which promised great freedom, and we could see him in person. In theory. I have never seen him, at La Coupole he was always just gone or would come very soon. I'm sure. So they said. He never came. But we had Kouros, his fragrance, of which Luca Turin will later write in his "Little Book of Great Perfumes" that it smells "like the tanned skin of a guy with pomade in his hair who just got out of the shower". How could we not like it? Saint Laurent had posters hung on which the flat, marble-white bottle, which was modelled on archaic youth sculptures, was placed in front of a blue sky next to an incredibly perfect naked man. The smell was as shockingly loud as our shirts and clubs, which were called discos at that time. Dirty and full of flavors like these shirts at the end of a far too long party night full of loss of control. Loud and dirty we liked; and we had nothing against the Parisian "tearooms", the urinals, with which our scent was quickly associated. Kouros smelled like our nights, sounds and escapades. It did not stand in the room as a defined aroma, it was the cast-iron vessel of many completely incompatible aromas, which suddenly came together so fittingly and overwhelmingly, as if it could not be otherwise. Herbs, animal and human secretions, woods, chemicals such as those from detergents, Campari, the dominant coriander, which was actually used in all perfumes of the 80s. Very pungent green notes. Something smelly and aquatic. And at the same time a very peculiar sweetness, which was perhaps due to the honey. We learned that the animalistic puff that hung longest was called civet. We decided to think of Kouros as a sexual perfume. A fragrance as a bet on the future. The reactions of the people in the bus and metro confirmed that the Sillage was strong and our scent was not their scent. That's the way we wanted it. At night, in our bars and discos, all of Paris really smelled of Kouros. At least that's the way my memory wants it. And as narrow boys we ourselves were probably never closer to a Kouros than in those days. Kouros created a lasting bond between us. In the lecture hall we recognized each other when we noticed this smell. We wore him like the signal cloth in our jeans. This is the magic that a fragrance can have: it creates stable connections to places, times and people. And however the scent changed in the following decades, it stayed with us as the white leaf was gradually written on. Not at all what we thought. A virus came and emptied the bars and discos. People switched from the dance floor to the hospital bed. It happened so fast that we didn't even understand what was happening to our world. Now we smuggled kouros to the AIDS stations instead of flowers, so that our friends at least did not have to miss the familiar scent. And the tape held until the end. Above the increasingly frequent mourning societies there was a feather-light Kouros cloud that testified that we did not regret our wild years but mourned them. Which showed that we saw ourselves as a community. At some point, most of those who survived had left Paris. Kouros was getting weaker, but that was all right, we were. The civet aroma is now extracted from algae. I have no objections. As long as I can still recognize the scent. And when we meet today, here in Berlin or elsewhere, all of us gentlemen in their sixty-something years, longtime survivors or simply lucky devils, then at least one of us has hung up Kouros as a sentimental reminder of our white city and the noisy good years. We don't wear kouros often anymore, but when we do, we know why we wear it. And sometimes it's enough just to pick up the marble white bottle.
4.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Tougher Than the Rest
This fragrance is my most worn fragrance for 20 years. He's been with me since I was a kid in my eighties. Deeply rooted in my limbic system since it was very popular at that time. For my childhood nose, he was also the epitome of perfume for a man.
Decomposing this fragrance into its nuances and components is almost a matter of rest. He just smells like Kouros. And that's what I think it is! When a perfume is a fragrance experience and you can't think of anything else.
Or to have to say: "Smells like Kouros!" "Reminds me of Kouros!"
Standing alone, setting standards, a rock in the surf.
Kouros doesn't care about opinions.
Kouros does not want to please.
Kouros needs no applause.
Kouros is not holding out the other cheek.
Kouros does not subordinate himself.
If you find yourself now, it could be your scent, too.
Pretty sure you should bring charisma and some life experience, maybe some scars and of course the ability to make and defend unpopular decisions However, in situations where you should be balancing or actually subordinate, I would advise against using this fragrance. Examples of this would be an interview in a therapeutic context or an interview. Before visiting a perfumery, I would also leave it...
In contrast, there are also situations in which you need Kouros!
Due to the enormous dominance and brutal durability you can use Kouros like a tool.
Busy working days, violating someone's opinion, enforcing something...
A handy example:
Long working day coupled with an excessive afterwork, then still (what was her name again) conquest on the other side of the bed, got up much too late, no time for shower.

Kouros will take care of it.

Finally, I remember one more song: Sisters of Mercy-Detontation Boulevard

PS:
For all the Tinderboys, Parshippers, Hipsters and other Bubis: YouTube Jeremy surely has the right one for you!

10.0 9.0 9.0 8.0/10

The Spartan
(Refers to the Vintage Silver Shoulder version)

First comes the story that the fragrance evokes in me and then a simplified "normal" rating that refers even more catchy to the corners and edges of the fragrance.

The story:

The leader of a Spartan hundred steps before his men.

The Persians are getting closer and closer and they are outnumbered, but they wouldn't be Spartans if fear kept them from fighting. The inhabitants of a nearby village bring the men delicious food, lots of spicy and some caravels olive oil, which they eat with freshly baked bread.

The mood is cheerful, although it is clear that the following day will cost many of them their lives. People dance and celebrate until after sunset.
The next morning already as the first sunbeams hit the noses of the Spartans a first burning arrow kissed. The men grab her clean metal and take up position.

The wind becomes rougher and more and more flaming arrows whistle down on them. The smoke is already in the air and loud, strange-sounding screams are approaching from nowhere. There are hundreds, if not thousands. The Spartans hold their line to shed their first blood only a few seconds later.

The Persian soldiers quickly realize that they have no chance against such trained and fruitless elite soldiers. The men just won't give in. They sweat under their armour, the blood of their enemies and fallen comrades sometimes splashes into their mouths, which is not necessarily concealed by the smell of the metal weapons.

The fight continues for several hours until at the end there is only a mountain of body, smoke, devastation and the courageous Spartans on the field.

In some of them, the adrenaline eases and they slump down.

Some of those who still have strength in their bodies go in search of their leader, who was ripped from the ranks in battle.

The only thing they find left is his bloody helmet and so they decide to pay the last respects to him.
They want to celebrate their victory and their sacrifice as only the gods could. They drink a creamy drink of honey and remember their fallen. They still wear their leather armour on their bodies, but slowly the feeling of battle diminishes and therefore more and more men decide to get rid of their armour and take a bath in the nearby river...
Description:

Kouros, a scent like a horde of Spartans. Loved and Hated because of his extreme nature in every way.

The scent reminds me of a battle in a Greek valley. Spicy, slightly gourmandig and animalic from the slaughter process. Not explainable, but actually not so extremely provocative and nose irritating, as many often imagine him at the disastrous reviews.

The Sillage is closed like a front of the Spartans. A drop of Kouros wouldn't have to fear a whole bottle of Aventus.
Strong, provocative and confident. Not for quiet testers. Kouros doesn't just knock on the door or wave friendly from afar, but storm your garden and slaughter any other smell while it eats through the closed windows and buildings.

The durability has survived the Roman Empire and remains very similar over time. In the beginning very herbaceous, but with time the only biting note disappears more and more, until a kind of very Mediterranean honey with some leather is pushed through.

Somehow fresh and clean, but then again pure animalistic and wicked.
One of the most unique fragrances I know. You can't prescribe taste to anybody, that's why it only helps to try it.

9.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Miami Vice
Kouros , the white Testarossa from the 80s ...
He is an absolute legend for me, as with an Italian horse he needs something to run round ... when he runs then he spoils the nose with a flowery spicy character ... i've long neglected this scent and learned to love not too long ago ... when I think back, in time .. I myself am Bj 83 so before my time .. I imagine this scent which develops on my skin just at slightly moist and warm air best as follows ...
A confident wearer , white suit , 80s look in a cafe on Ocean Drive
The white Testarossa is parked in front of the café.
Alá Miami Vice ..
so I imagine the Kourosträger anno and/or middle of the eighties .
He's definitely an alpha male scent. For confident successful people who know what they want. But also with all dominance have a tender and soft side, as well as Kouros . Which changes after its strong dominant appearance very soft and warm. He radiates character, a warm soft and floral . Through this composition he knows how to convince ...

I have the vintage and current version, he has become calmer, braver and smoother ... but without losing his face.
Durability and charisma are phenomenon and very self-confident .

The ladies like him as long as he's restrained when he's sprayed on!
Until now there was only very positive feedback :

Great scent, masculine adult and not such a sweet stuff.

That's how you smell a man. "mhhm"

As the previous speaker said, you have to be very economical and discreet ... fog for a short time and no 4-6 sprayers .. because less is more ...
more positive feedback .

I love him, but also because I have a fable for old cars "sports cars" from that time !
9.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Adonis scent
I remember smelling Kouros for the first time in 1987. Ahh what a cool, flowery-sweet, fresh fragrance that took forever to develop.
I think today's version is quite well formulated. So far there has always been positive feedback from the ladies.
You should only spray a small splash on your clothes, otherwise have mercy on the punishment of the Greek God. More like two splashes are too much in my opinion.
I find it on synthetic or mixed made shirts lemony-fresh and spicy-sweet in smell than on natural cotton. On cotton/wool it smells warmer and not so fresh.
He doesn't smell like toilet paper and urine to me now, as some say, perhaps soapy at the beginning.
For me the fragrance is totally underestimated and a milestone. Here it's really just the dose that makes the smell on the clothes. The less, the better. Here helps experiment. Meanwhile I see it as a niche product that is less and less to be found on the shelves. I hope it's not set.
That would be a pity for the only Greek fragrance god. Alternatively, you can have the one from Le Galion - Sang Bleu, which I have as a sample. They're very similar in their scent flow.

9.0 10.0 10.0 1.0/10

Milestone, Stone of Conjunction, urine-soaked toilet stone
Let me make it clear at the outset: I don't like to write cracks. And also the following lines are not to be understood as such. I have great respect for the performance Bourdon has delivered with this fragrance.

To describe Kouros as a milestone in perfume history is true, there is hardly anything comparable with mE (if there is, please comment).

The composition is also masterful, I mean that quite seriously and not cynically. The first thing you have to do is to copy a highway toilet with urinal, citrus stones and the liquids it contains. And even if it may sound disgusting, it's basically a compliment, because a great fragrance is supposed to create associations with familiar things. And Kouros succeeds excellently. It is indeed a great fragrance, a masterpiece. Only: do you want to be reminded all day long that you don't have an alternative (e.g. on a long motorway trip) and have no other chance than to visit such a place?
Now Pierre Bourdon is certainly one of the masters and pioneers of fresh fragrances (Creeds GIT, Davidoffs Cool Water, etc.). These are also milestones that have significantly established the aquatic genre.

It is incomprehensible to me how Bourdon in the early 80s "reached into the toilet" in such a way - in the truest sense of the word. Some of the best "Sport" and Powerhouse fragrances that remind us of men à la Tom Selleck (Magnum) also come from the 80s and show broad-shouldered: Watch out! Here I come! Chest (incl. hair mat) out and nose up! Wonderful representatives are Chanels Antaeus, Lacoste Original, Armanis Eau Pour Homme, YSL Pour Homme. My father still has his original Antaeus bottle from back then (also 1981!), which gave me the opportunity to compare the current version and the one from back then. Wow. Wow. Still extraordinary today, the 80's version is fluid, exuberant self-confidence and great perfume art made of beaver horny, leather and other notes, but still wearable at first sight! That was an extremely loud time, which is absolutely nothing bad.

And Kouros? A godlike scent? God forbid I ever get to smell a vintage version. The current one is full of animal Zibet, a lot of sweat and since days unventilated changing room! Anyone who does sports or takes a break on the motorway will know the sweet, sweaty and pungent mixture from the sports facility or toilet that we find unpleasant. But here you go! This is exactly what you want to get rid of and do the dishes with a fresh, cool shower after tennis, football or a visit to the gym! Or you can quickly escape from the village at the resting place in order to escape olfactorically! You don't seriously want to spray this fragrance on after the bath routine as a fragrance brand? And if so, why? Whereby also many of these whole current "sport" smells are nowadays also partly rather exchangeable windscreen cleaning agents...

But this perfume is made for people who have such a supernatural and unbearable self-confidence and ego that they don't mind taking proper criticism for it because they simply don't care. Such people also travel alone in a 12-person elevator, because there is no room for other passengers next to their ego and the smell in a narrow, closed room triggers escape reflexes. Those aren't nice qualities. Neither for a scent, nor character.

However, Kouros is one thing: very clear in his statement. It is a child of his time in the great family of the 80s fragrances, but certainly no more than the black sheep. Sure, this child also belongs to the family, but remains the outsider, the problem child. But it radiates a certain fascination that cannot be ignored. The child Kouros has certainly become softer and more accessible over the years, but you can still make an effort: basically you don't want to get involved with him and stay away from him.

The fragrance process is a total work of art, "suitable for all seasons", if you like. With heat it will surely get even worse and the Sillage even stronger than it already is. Shelf life? Like component adhesive.

The bottle meanwhile... is a perverse joke! It is bright white, has clear lines, reminiscent of ancient Greek columns and conveys greatness. A great fragrance must therefore be in it, the advertising campaign underlines exactly this image! That's true, but contrary to all expectations it's not a virgin-innocent, bright, airy scent, like fresh from the clouds in the sky above Olympus (Creeds Silver Mountain Water would be one of those for me). Kouros is a poisoned, dirty gift that doesn't make prisoners from the first second on. But no doubt great art.
10.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Welcome to the anonymous Kourosoholics
Hello mine is Ralf and I am Kouros addict! In my childhood of course always fascinated by aftershave smells of father and grandpa of course Edts like Azzaro ph and Drakkar Noir. Kouros was always too pissily smelling to me at that time but only because I didn't understand him yet. Now that's different, I love the animal zibet note that runs through the whole process paired with this freshly shaved note! Smells like a man to me! H&S are excellent also in this current version 8-10h and afterwards a skinscent which you will notice the next morning! 2 spray on the chest 2 left and right on the neck is enough completely! Now I want to have of course a vintage version can only dream me this beast! Dirty Barbershop 10 of 10 I am in love!
9.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

The White Lion
A long time ago, around the year 2012, it must have been the turn, at least at a time when I hadn't had so much experience with fragrances, I read about Kouros for the first time and that he should be one of the most controversial fragrances to be judged. Curious and inexperienced I entered the next perfumery and sprayed it directly on my skin without warning. The "shock" with the following commentary turned out accordingly. I'd never smelled anything like it before. It was probably the animal touch. That was anno 2012.
Now we are writing the year 2019 and I have found through many testing and re-testing:
There are scents that are not immediately apparent because of their complexity; these scents must be "LEARNED". And I've also learned that Kouros is definitely one of them. You have to really deal with him and who is ready for it discovers one of the most fascinating fragrances with full fugue and
Since 1981 has its firm place among the classics. I chose the above title because it combines different attributes. On the one hand, it has something very clean, soapy, clean about it.
The bottle is a perfect match for him. On the other side is of course what I think is a wonderfully animalistic wild civet note which gives it roughness but also warmth, eroticism and softness.
Various ladies from my circle of acquaintances have confirmed to me that they perceive Kouros as very soft.
One should be careful, however, with the dosage because overdosed, and that goes very quickly he will something
as I find it pompous. It's majestic, unassailable, wild and very clean, so:
The white lion

10.0 9.0 10.0 8.5/10

Kouros - sensual like a Greek god
Kouros was my first men's perfume in the '80s. The bottle first spoke to me and then the scent. I also remember the advertisements showing a young man in white trousers in front of a Greek backdrop. The association with a Greek god seems to be wanted. And so is the scent. No matter how intellectually you enter a room scented with Kouros, it will beguile your senses. Purity, whiteness (here based on the colour) and animalistic! I admit, the scent is violent - but those who can wear it have a timeless companion in it that is unique. And in a world of sweetish/heavy (and also good) unit scents, Kouros stands out. You have to want that, and whoever wears it unites with body and nature. The spirit is left out. Close your eyes and make me...

9.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

Sensory explosion
My first comment here:
The brother of my mother's boyfriend wore this scent for the first time when I was 12 years old. I remember how thrilled he was. And my mother, too. He couldn't get out of the swarm at all. And so am I. This clean, beautiful fragrance that Kouros left behind was magical. The bottle fits the eye like a fist. White!
He smells white. Whatever that is. Whenever I think of the smell, and I can smell it any time I imagine it, I think of this clean white bottle with the wide spray button that sprays the perfume so beautifully far away. This clean, white, soapy and beautiful fragrance smells like nothing I've ever smelled before. For this creation alone, the perfumer Alain de Mourgues deserves a fragrance oscar.
Kouros doesn't smell like urine. Urine is biting and unpleasant. Kouros is a pleasant fragrance with a monster projection and durability.
I'm gonna order a bottle of that white gold right now, since mine's empty now.
9.0 9.0 9.0 8.0/10

Xanthon
Animal in the modern world
I am an animal, no amount of modernization can't change this fact. No amount of cleaning, clothing, and grooming can't change this fact. I can't be tamed by social norms. Animals are dirty out in nature, and they are proud of their smell. I am proud of my smell, it is intoxicating and captivating. This taboo on body smell is modern invention and hides the animal inside me.
I can see the point, maybe the world has become coward. This animal smell has become too overwhelming for the modern world. That's why we bath more often now than in old times. Bathing makes me clean and my smell momentarily goes away. But it will be back, it will be back! I will hit the world with the animal inside me. I am dirty, but I am clean just for the sake of modern world. I don't want to smell like what I am not supposed to. I want to smell like what I am.
I am the animal in the modern world. I am Kouros!
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

On the prowl
Les dieux vivants ont leur parfum. Kouros.

1984 Charles of the Ritz (Paris) version. Long review.
The scent of gods.

Kouros. A marvel of 1980’s perfumery, Yves Saint Laurent’s ‘most expensive perfume for men’ came 4 years after Opium, the oriental that changed the world and shaped a generation into excess and decadence. Not without controversy, while Opium was said to encourage drug use and illicit substances, Kouros (codenamed Eros during development) was deemed ‘excessively dirty’ and far too provocative. In the last golden decade of quality perfumery, Yves Saint Laurent showed the world that vision and guts and perseverance are necessary risks to succeed. Without them, one simply follows. Yves lead.

Kouros is one of the most polarizing fragrances, a sign of genius and innovation, a true ‘love it or hate it’ perfume. I, feel it’s one of the most beautiful creations and for me it’s the best male perfume ever created. But that’s just me, and while I adore it, I know many can’t stand it.
A massive hit since day 1, Kouros came at the right time (1981, the decade of excess and power and greed), at the right place (Paris - only a house like YSL could launch an equally provocative perfume for men like they did for women with the blockbuster Opium), and with the right promotion/marketing (the white statuesque bottle, the name, the scent; Pierre Bourdon’s magnum opus).
In the following years many tried to imitate its success, some better than others but none managed to surpass it. The success of Kouros lies in the dichotomy of clean and dirty, purity and carnality, and that couldn’t be copied.

To envision Kouros, one must envision imagery.
Imagine a beach in Greece, Lalaria beach in Skiathos for example. The water is deep crystalline blue, the sun is burning brightly but the gentle breeze that hits the rocks cools the hot August air. There’s no noise, hardly anyone, and you are lying there basking in the glory of the summer. Suddenly, a well tanned, tall, muscular hunk appears a few feet away from you. Watching his statuesque physique, you catch a whiff of him. He smells of soap, probably from the shower he took before coming down to the beach, and of a light herbal deodorant. The smell mixes with the scent of sea salt, iodine, open air and ocean. This is the clean and showered opening of Kouros.
But then again, Kouros is primordially erotic, sensual, of desire. And this hunk soon goes swimming, to cool down in the clear blue waters. From afar you gaze, watching how he swims with artistic grace, taking long strokes until he disappears into the ocean, only to emerge refreshed, with a white brief, that barely hides his masculinity. He smiles politely at you, and lays down on his towel. You feel embarrassed but somehow, you can’t stop staring at him. He lights a cigarette, and suddenly you smell the smoke that comes out of his full lips, the light sweat, the smell of salt evaporating from his body, the smell of Coppertone sun oil; you smell him. And the smell, combined, feels animal, debaucherous, lustful, hedonistic. There’s nothing explicitly sexual, but you get aroused simply by the thought of it; a hot summer, a one night stand, a perfect stranger. Living dangerously, youth is risky and hormone driven. Let go and surrender.

He is Kouros. A masterful combination of natural civet, castoreum, costus root, Animalis base from Synarôme (later used in Montana’s eponymous first creation and falling out of style by the late 80’s), leather, honey, musk, geranium, artemisia, jasmine, patchouli, and many more that combine in true artistry to create something bigger than the sum of its parts.
Kouros isn’t animalic just for the sake of it, which he is - one of the most animalic fragrances created; he is animal. He is as clean or as dirty as you want him to be.
He will either lure you closer or pull you apart, but he won’t leave you indifferent.
He’s smart, hot, killer smile and big attitude. He’s the boy momma said to stay away from, and it’s one of the reasons many women wear Kouros with amazing panache (perfume has no gender). But if you fall for him, there’s no going back.

Once upon a time, a fragrance lead you to dream, fantasize, ready to conquer the world.
It was pure emotion, art, sensuality.
In the early 90’s all that was big and powerful was deemed wrong, and minimalism entered our world, while big hair and big sillage left slowly from the back door. A big wave of Calone was coming to wash us of sins and perfume. Kouros started falling out of favor and all the reformulations that came didn’t do any favors; by the late 90’s/early 2000’s he was slowly fading away. Today, what you find in stores is a mere glimpse of what once was ‘le parfum des dieux vivants’.

Times change, everything evolves (or not, depending how you see it) and people move forward. Perfumery came at its opus with fireworks and left slowly as if a mortal sin. Today, very very few perfumes have the surprise and shock factor of Kouros, and even fewer offer something new, emotion, personality.
Once upon a time, perfumes were a big Dreamland.
And inside a white ceramic statuesque bottle, living gods had their perfume. Kouros.
7.0 7.0 9.0 8.5/10

Konsalik
Preferred activity: Listen to a Ferro 90 tape with Mendelssohn-Bartholdy in Opel Manta.
I obviously have a deep love for the '80s Powerhouse. Or a partial smell blindness opposite "animalischen" Untenrum-Noten. Or, more worryingly, a dubious love for the subject "Untenrum". Could be anything. In any case, I have so far liked every (!) reactionary-rumpety silverback of the late seventies and eighties. Not indiscriminate, but always at least good (Antaeus), if not very good (e.g. Santos). Then there is not much left with elective affinity through self-reconstruction to the country nobleman encountering the loss of meaning in dignity - there the little Duisburg boy' reappears again, who spent his conscious childhood in the late eighties and nineties, surrounded by breast hair and moccasins to jeans and without socks.

The relaxed and friendly YouTuber Sebastian ("Sebästschen") from the "Smelling Great" channel has now chosen YSL's Kouros as number 1 on his list of "Great fragrances your dad used to wear" - and at the same time has relegated other classics such as Yatagan, Grey Flannel, Eau Sauvage, Azzaro p.H., Caron p.u.H. and Antaeus to the first place. It's all my booty pattern. And then there was the exquisite tastelessness of the bottle, as the advertising at the time suggested, which was based on a stylized Doric column. Wonderful!

In the beginning, there is actually a certain uncouth "roughness" that can be described as animalistic. However, this is not about the isolated Zibet portion, which should later come to bear more clearly, but about the connection of the Zibet with the ethereal head notes such as tarragon and coriander. Bitty, yeah, but wounds don't get beaten: "Oha!" instead of "yuck!". In my opinion, however, the actual highlight is clearly the actual fragrance process: Kouros becomes much simpler and more uniform in the heart, and the Classic Powerhouse soap to be expected adjusts itself. But what a one! A mildly spicy, warm waxy honey soap with a deep, very tastefully dosed portion of frankincense. I usually react sensitively to incense; not that I don't like it, but incense tends to dominate my olfactory center and push other scent impressions to one side. Here, however, everything stands side by side in almost "fine" harmony: honey, wax, soap, incense. And just a noticeable bit of "down there". A surprisingly cultivated 80s macho roughneck. A welcome synthesis of affinity by choice and blood.

EDIT 08.09.2018: The comparison with a sample from an old vintage bottling revealed the following: I am not odorless when it comes to animal notes! The smell of a superficially maintained but obviously in need of renovation pub toilet keeps the above-mentioned warm and soft notes at bay for hours. Housekeeper's comment: "I couldn't sleep the night away because a very Stone Age part of my brain was desperately trying to stop me from sleeping next to a sleeping cougar."
The harsh unambiguity of the vintage fragrance inevitably makes one think about the relationship between the human condition and the changing perception of the zeitgeist and world spirit: How the hell could such a pee-pee beast have been considered acceptable not so long ago? Blog stuff.

PS: Not to be misunderstood: I liked the vintage version. However, the reformulation seems to me to preserve the balance between boldness and public suitability. Perhaps for the reasons given above, adjustments to the composition of some perfumes are actually sometimes... necessary?
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

The dandy.
Period. Short and sweet.
"But not you!" There opens a second inner voice that vehemently contradicts the first. "What is a dandy anyway, or what do you think he is?"
The first voice answers consistently and promptly...: "Such an exaggerated male type. He walks like he's got pads under his armpits and a spacer between his feet. He smells like a polecat to prove his power olfactory.
Such a paföng with Zibet, Bibergeil and other animal prisoners, which drives the nose of so many sex comrades to the white embers, because he "pollutes" the air for them.
And the ladies are pulling in his direction like magnets.... "
"Stop! Stop! Stop!!!" warns voice number 2.
"All clichés. At least most of it.
But take a closer look and sniff. Not all the concentrated "manhood" or what you think it is!"...
Thoughtfulness and short silence.
Meanwhile I get a note of rose, Iris's powder, a bouquet of carnations and refined spices, plus a large portion of warm earth.
Voice 1 seems to be a little bent. And he's not so sure of his own business anymore "He's got his soft side too.... and he's a little dreamy, too.
And he likes to go into the woods. (I wouldn't have believed him at all).... But don't tell anyone..."
"Are you ashamed of your "other side", the first reasonable step?" voice 2 means now a little more gentle and less annoying.
"No, but I want it to be at least a little secret. Do not let the cat out of the bag immediately..."
So a dandy, a bit extravagant, quite (mostly) sympathetic. No special boaster, but also not shy, no "womanizer", but sometimes a bit brash...
With a side that is just as "more tender" and finer, with a feeling for details that "get the message across".
Both "voices" get along again, even if now and then quiet "banter" can be felt.
Something curious, then. Like a so-called dandy...

Krabat
This is not a love song...
When I recently wandered through the perfume department of a big department store chain again and worked through my test list, I sniffed this devil on the test strip and he knocked me down.
Spicy, herbaceous, different.
Sprayed on the skin... well... it is herbaceous and bitter, but unfortunately it is covered by "Puma cage". Very briefly the Patchouli looks around a far away corner, waves and is then already gone again. After about half an hour the Puma slowly retreats and... there it is: Leather marinated in oakmoss and honey. No trace of the expected sweetness.
The fragrance becomes slower and faster to a powdery "old men" fragrance.

Once the pungent, animal-like smell has faded away, I think Kouros is not bad at all and can also be worn by ladies. I still liked him better on the test strip
10.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

Prateik26
Never miss this frag out it's called the loud speaker
Kouros edt is a hell of loud speakers for the ones who sniff it .... Ideal for cold whether wearing a cool t shirt just imagine women will surely compliment if your clubbing ,, and sprays needed only 3 behind your ears and on on the chest will project like a animalistic ....
I went on 5 sprays and it almost choked the air conditioned room or car .....

It's a steal if you love hard fragrance like good longetivity and don't go on notes because it's totally different
9.0 9.0 9.0 8.0/10

Tightrope walk
- strongly polarizing and absolute niche fragrance
- either you love him or you hate him
- when you know this fragrance appeals to friends and family - no problem. But absolutely unsuitable for work, perhaps even in the business sector. The escape threshold is very low. I like this long-lasting fragrance very much, but unfortunately not my environment. Therefore no purchase. Absolutely test and do not buy blind. But it has what it takes to become an absolute legend
7.0 8.0 9.0 7.5/10

What a potent stinker!
Here they are now wooing on my wrist, Kouros on the left, Eros on the right. The two Proleten from two generations, one in the Ford Capri, the other in Papa´s Tiguan, exemplary expression of perfume historical contemporary history. The fact that today, where generic syrup bombs and discreet androgynous flatterers interpret the fairy tale of sugar back and forth, the Kouros, albeit in a weakened form, are still brought to the man is in itself a statement. But who buys something like that?
The two don't give each other anything, they scream "I'm here!" and make their way through the crowds. But it seems that at Kuro´s you were older if you wanted the right to have fun, or even an expensive perfume to wear. Where today it seems normal to have dozens of U20 "Beastmode" - Fragrances a la 1 million to choose from before the weekly exit, the industry at that time was apparently less success-pressed, which led to an almost naive creativity. That's the only way I can explain Kouros to myself. There's nothing smooth ironed here, and I don't think it's conventional either. Rather daring and an unthinkable risk for today's marketing departments.
For me as a fragrance beginner, fresh bergamot notes make up the main part of the Kouros experience, coupled with this almost unheard-of smoky animal note that many would describe as unpleasant. The whole remains faithful for a long time, until the honey takes over, and the fight-dog whistles back. Now that you've met, you don't have to bite anymore. I did not know the name before, although I grew up in his time, but the smell of the sprayed sample was undefined familiar to me. So it must have been quite common at some point. But today? I can't smell it anywhere. He somehow seems out of place, like from another time, like He-Man, Magnum or a Colt for all occasions.
The current bottle (without the glass container) is less offensive. Actually a beautiful hand cuddler with a solid distributing sprayer that is easy to aim.
For me, such a perfume can no longer be judged in itself, nor can I see the graphics and sound of old games or the editing in old films without their temporal context. At least for me the intellectual pigeonholes change too quickly and, unlike, say, music and literature, there seems to be less really overpowering common denominators in the world of scents.
But precisely for this reason I am glad that they are still available, the Kouros´ Fahrenheits and Joop Hommes, although often reformulated. For their uncomfortable uniqueness, their otherness, their charm and character provide a head cinema of impressions, sensitivities, feelings and memories that hardly any other art form is able to achieve in such a dense and accessible way. A journey through contemporary history at Douglas.
In 20 years it will be Eros' turn to tell us his story.

Funky Brew
I do love to rock a funky brew at times, and was attracted to this by its reputation. It took merely a quick test in the boutique to convince me that it belongs in my collection 'in person'.

I do think, though, that there is a tendency for folks to get carried away about this. I have known for a long time that perfumes are 'thrilled' or 'enthused' with funky components. But it was always my understanding that the amount infused is never such as to become patent. I think this one does stay within that bound - but not by a wide margin! It really does push the envelope!

But I think Hard Leather, by Laurent Mazzone, exceeds this one in that respect - but it is of course thunderously expensive - like, five times as much!! Also, Salome, by Papillon exceeds it. And Wardasina, by Sospiro. But these are all seriously high-end! At the pricepoint of Kouros it has no rival funkiness-wise. And it was potenter in the eighties was it? That stands to reason, what with we are living in a fascist IFRA state now. What happened to the idea that if something disagrees with your constitution you simply choose to stop using it or doing it? Wherever did that idea go?

And what's all this Man Silver, by Milton Lloyd, business? Sounds a bit far-fetched to me. If I find it I'll give it a fair go with open mind, but I'm not buying it blind, despite its low price. And why is there no review of it on this site?

Would anyone say this is at all similar to Chanel ?5? Both are aldehyde- & civet-heavy. Not ¨like¨ it as such, but ¨similar¨ in a ¨certain¨ way.

Robsam21 17 days ago
Blast from the past!
Aspvl 52 days ago
Sexy, soapy, elegant. All in one bottle. Get the metal shoulders bottle if you can. To my nose, the most perfect scent ever created.+2
FranknSense 75 days ago
Time passes by but this civet jewal stays forever. It has always been my prefered YSL.+3
Catarina 11 months ago
This fragrance is scientifically known as CIVETOSAURUS-REX. It's powerful, animalic, spicy, magical and genuinely masculine.+5
KingPin 14 months ago
I had this as a young gun in the 80-ies, but I still can't decide if i love it or hate it. It's polarizing even on an idividual level.+2
Carlitos01 14 months ago
Animalic musky beast mode masterpiece, almost 40 years old (to date). A milestone of the fragrance industry by Bourdon and a must have!+5
AmberScent 18 months ago
After almost 40 years Kouros remains unique, actual and desirable. Together with Opium is the best YSL perfume for me so far... just great!+6
Alex1984 3 years ago
THE animal; love it or hate it, the best masculine. Dirty like the hottest hunk, warm like skin on fire, sex, bulging pants, 80's. ONLY vtg!+3
Elysium 4 years ago
You either like it or you don’t. To me, this is the most animalic thing I know about fragrances. So damn manly, dirty, healing, misterious.+5

Es
Links 2012, Mitte 2010, Rechts 2005
Reformulierung
by Rasierwasser
by Rivegauche
Links die erste Packung ab 1981, in der Mitte eine Packung aus den Neunzigern, die rechte Packung gilt seit 2003
Links 2012, Mitte 2010, Rechts 2005
by Hndrk
by Daljit
by Daljit
by Jaromil
Alte kleine Probe gefunden. Ich mag den!
by Ilovecoffee
by Mikeaveli
by Mikeaveli

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Caftan by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent