Kouros 1981 Eau de Toilette

Kouros (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Alain de Mourgues
Kouros (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 1981. The scent is animal-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Pierre Bourdon

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes BergamotBergamot TarragonTarragon CorianderCoriander Clary sageClary sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnationCarnation GeraniumGeranium Orris rootOrris root JasmineJasmine PatchouliPatchouli VetiverVetiver CinnamonCinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber OakmossOakmoss HoneyHoney LeatherLeather MuskMusk Tonka beanTonka bean VanillaVanilla FrankincenseFrankincense CivetCivet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 10.05.2022.

Snikers
An iconic fragrance that I appreciated in time
I'm relatively young to wear such classics because I was born in a magnificent year 1989, which in my country (Poland) is known as the year of change because exactly on 4th of June 1989 it was announced that the communism was done for. I spoke to my father about perfume habits in the communism era and he said that most of the men wore a couple of types of colognes that were widely available and most of them had a classic smell. Those who could afford designer fragrances needed to visit a shop called Pewex where they could buy Guerlain's Habit Rouge, YSL's Pour Homme, Polo etc. My dad was lucky enough and for his 18th birthday he was gifted YSL's Pour Homme, a fragrance that was already a couple of years on the market and was pretty popular. He used it very occasionally because it was a really expensive cologne back in that day in Poland. He got interested in fragrances though so he started to save money for another bottle. When he saved enough he visited Pewex and after he assured the vendor he could really afford a bottle of a western fragrance (yeah, he needed to show the money lol) he was offered to sample Kouros. By the way it was not that easy to sample back in that era and the owner shared his own private bottle. Crazy huh? He doesn't remember exactly when that happened but for sure it was the first edition of Kouros, manufactured by Charles de Ritz. He instantly loved the smell, said it was the most complex fragrance he has ever smelled. Immediately he asked for a bottle but when realized the price point, he resigned and went for...Drakkar Noir. Yeah, Kouros was damn expensive. It was one of the most expensive fragrances on the market. When it launched it was considered what nowadays we call "metrosexual" (lol, how things changed). It was supposedly a favorite fragrance of the French LGBT community (well, it seems that gay people always had that impeccable taste for fashion and fragrance, nothing has changed here).

Enough nostalgia, I will now tell you how my story with Kouros begun.

I kept hearing about Kouros all the time because I'm a member of a large perfume community. Memes, jokes, "hehe a date? you should pick Kouros buddy" etc. I've never tried it before, it was not available in Sephora or Douglas and I didn't feel like buying a decant so I just forgot about it. I was in Greece a couple of years ago and I noticed a restaurant called Kouros and getting my memory refreshed, I just entered a large perfume shop in that town. And they had it, even exposed. The clerk said he personally liked it and that it's one of the few fragrances that had a Greek name.

I thought it was awful, chemical, urinal cake smell and asked the clerk if I could wash my hands. He laughed and said it is a common reaction among young people and said that I will enjoy in a couple of years.

A couple of years later when I was past my 30 already, I noticed a guy on a facebook group was selling a decant of the vintage juice from 1992. So I grabbed it because I was curios how the old version smelled, knowing that vintage perfume was better before IFRA messed up the perfume world.

Aaaand that Greek clerk was damn right, I just needed some time and a vintage to appreciate it. Animalic, deep, musky, slightly powdery smell conquered my heart and I just got crazy, started to ask people about decants, scrolling groups etc. I managed to find a rare bottle of Eau de Sport and blind buying it for a fair price (now they are crazy), got another decant, then got a 50 ml bottle of Parfum Corp version, 50 ml after shave from Charles de Ritz era (yay!), then time came for 100 ml of Gucci version, had a Sanofi bottle but sold it, and finally I found the holy grail. 100 ml of Charles de Ritz from 1984 + a decant of 1981 premiere edition. I felt like a junkie hoarding my favorite drug. Funny thing is that I paid 100 euros for that and I actually asked the vendor if he was aware what he was selling. It turned out that he was Kouros's fanboy and had a lot of bottles so he decided to share it in the name of love.

So how different they are?

Charles de Ritz - my favorite of all, is the most complex one, the most musky one. At least my bottle is not that animalic, I smell less civet, the amber here is also gorgeous. The opening is a real musk bomb and it is just slightly dirty. It is also the most powdery of all and feels really classy, old school. It has a veeery good longevity while the projection is not huge, but it is ok, I wouldn't like this type of fragrance to suffocate people. The AS version is of course less potent that the EDT and it fades quicker but it is exactly the same as the EDT, high quality stuff. I wear a beard so I can't use it on my whole face. When I shave my neck then sometimes I use if I'm planning to use the EDT. It doesn't irritate my skin and amps up the EDT.

Parfum Corp - it was the first vintage that made me fall in love with Kouros. This one (at least my bottle) is more animalic and the civet is easy to distinguish. It is more skanky than the Charles de Ritz and less powdery. However, after and hour or two it smells almost exactly the same as the first edition. It has the same performance. Best price/quality ratio in the Kouros world. If you see it on ebay or local marketplaces, just buy it it is worth it.

Sanofi - I had it, sold the bottle because I felt it was redundant in my collection and I made another Kouros aficionado happy. It is more potent than Parfum Corp but less deep than the predecesors. It is heavy on the dirty musk, definitely more aldehydic than the rest. Performance is superb, easily 24h on clothes. It smells fantastic when you spray 2-3 times on your chest and wear a linen summer shirt. It won't offend people and you will smell whafts every now and then.

Gucci - It is basically same as Sanofi, even better because even more potent. That one is the strongest Kouros in my possession. 2-3 sprays maximum, even one spray in summer months will be enough. This is basically a high quality slightly dirty musk scent.

L'oreal - I don't own it but current batch seems to be more aldehydic and citrussy in comparison. It doesn't have that skanky nature, which makes it more wearable for people that don't like animalic perfume. The longevity is decent but the sillage seems to be weaker.

I also own Eau de Sport so just a quick note - it is basically like a Parfum Corp edition but with less animalic features. The musk is there but is less potent and cleaner. It is good but not worth the price.

---

I think that Kouros pushes people off because they smell it close to the skin. The whole beauty of this fragrance is that it needs some body heat to show its true nature. Hence, I strongly believe that is a summer scent. People tend to avoid it in the summer because they worry about scaring people off. Grab even the most recent batch, spray under your shirt when it is hot outside and see for yourself.
For me it is a masterpiece and an icon. I hope it will never get discontinued.

Papatoro
The 80's inside a bottle.
"KOUROS" ... images of past times in my mind. Top? In many aspects, yes, without a doubt.

1981 was his launch year, his perfumer Pierre Bourdon created a masterpiece that, without fear of mistaken, marked a time and was the queen with a capital letters, far away, far from the rest. Moreover, they have not yet managed to get it off the throne of it.

The 80's, time of straight and wide jeans with a large lap in the low, shoulder pads, great ties illustrated, worn leather jackets, stamped shirts, t-shirts with colorful geometric figures, well high white socks and visible to play sports. Time where a blow or scar was a war mark from which to feel proud.

In the musical, for me, his best moment. Start of electronic music inspired by the Disco of mid-70, the Hard Rock with Guns n'Roses or Bon Jovi, Heavy Metal and Iron Maiden, Judas Priest or Metallica and how not to mention Madonna and Michael Jackson, the best Pop.

And what about cinema? Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Gray in "Dirty Dancing", Michael J. Fox with "Back to The Future", Bastian trying to avoid the destruction of the kingdom of fantasy in "The Neverending Story" or Harrison Ford in a "Blade Runner" that curiously It places in 2019 very distant to what was later.

In the perfumistic section we find ourselves, too, in a golden age. When with four atomizations you could fill a room, leave your smell in the elevator, leaving this step and endure until the end of the day.

KOUROS is all that and much more inside a bottle. A fragrance that tries to exalt the true masculinity, one that differs totally from the current one (in my opinion "androgenized"). It is cleaning, much, soap touches seasoned from herbal / floral and animals tones, the latter especially present at their departure and throughout the first hour.

There are no average terms with her, beloved fragrance or hated. Although I have to say that in my circle, without saying what I have been and already in the dry drying a couple of hours, I have received on several occasions a "good smells". So that of "hated" I have not lived yet. Its overall performance is 10 even today with reformulation, although I am lucky to have a vintage version and that is already crazy.

Yes, it is a polarizing fragrance, from start to finish. It does not pretend to like everyone and it is not necessary to make it, it makes a time, personality and draws attention, with that enough.

Masterpiece, the 80's inside a bottle.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Greek Beast
Launched in 1981, Kouros has been one of the most famous love it or hate it fragrances of our time. My 1st purchase was around 1990. I wish i still had that bottle for sentimental reasons and of course for vintage purposes. I own 3 bottles from different time periods. 1986 2003 2019. The scent is similar and boy is it powerful. This stuff just lasts. Many notes are inside and the sleazy grimy animalic tone is a favorite of mine. Looking for vintage bottles online i laugh at how expensive some of these bottles are. It makes me dizzy thinking about it but sellers aren't stupid, just greedy but if u look hard enough you will find a bargain. Just have patience lol. Kouros has sadly been butchered and reformulated at least a half dozen times. I wish they'd just leave it the hell alone. But I'll keep on wearing this beast until the end of my days and it's one of those fragrances that i didn't really like when i was younger but i love it now as my tastes have matured. If i only knew then what i know now. You definitely do not have to overapply this one. 4 sprays and you are golden

..and I smiled.
“When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.”
1 Corinthians 13:11

"Eww, you smell exactly like your father!"-she said.

During my teenage years I never knew why my mother always said Kouros was one of her favorite fragrances ever. It seemed like everytime I tried to get myself to understand that I end up on the cold dark road (that pissy road to be exact, you know, the one next to the main highway). It seemed like I was tapdancing in the dark..for a long time. I remember I couldn't stop thinking about the fragrance for some reason..so periodicaly I kept coming back to it, to smell it again and again, hoping I could experience the exact feeling my mother had when she smelled Kouros (the best men's fragrance ever-her words) for the first time-but still no luck! After that, my interest started growing more and more each day because I couldn't understand that fragrance from the inside out like I used to understand other fragrances..and why was my mother so obsessed with it..this was a big enigma for me, and since I always loved mysteries, I kept pushing forward, I had to.

After 15 years..as soon as I got my first few greys on my beard I thought maybe now is the time, right?!
Still the same effect! Weird. All untill..
..one year ago I saw Kouros standing on some dusty shelve in an old perfumery in Switzerland. It looked kinda lost, lonely..something spoke to me in that moment and I went and sprayed it directly on my skin. Sensation I was anticipating for more than 15 years was there! From the opening untill the most beautiful, manliest, perfect, addictive drydown ever! Yes! It was worth of wait for so long! Now I understand how my mother felt when she experienced it for the first time! I was so happy and thrilled, so I came home and started telling whole story to my girl. After my half-hour monologue she just said "Eww you smell exactly like your father!"
(I sat there for a brief moment in silence and then it hit me) - "Yes I finally do"-and I smiled.

ScentSlave
I guess the new formula is just a shadow of its former self…
I ordered the 2021 version, as I’ve never smelled Kouros (or THOUGHT that, anyway). It finally arrived in the mail, and I excited tore it open to see what the fuss is all about.

Now I grew up in the 80’s, but never experienced the “animalic” scents of that era (I was more into Polo Green and Drakkar Noir). No Kouros, and no Antaeus for me growing up.

So now that I’m so entwined in the fragrance community, and love it so much, that I thought I just HAVE to get an understanding as to WHAT “anamalic” actually IS, and what it feels like. I immediately ordered Kouros and Antaeus because they sit at the top of the chain there.

Now I know that both of the versions I have are reformulated 40 years later, and that the animal notes are illegal now, but these two don’t strike me as “filthy feeling” at all. In the new Kouros, I don’t get anything that smells “pissy” or “dirty”.

It’s actually very soapy feeling. It reminds me of my grandfather. Like a cheap soap, with a very pungent aroma. I laughed out loud at my wife’s reaction, as she could smell me from over 8ft away, and she was gasping for air. She noted that the sillage was thick, and that the scent trail easily marked where I’d been after I left.

The scent reminds me of the men’s locker room; where all the athletes are using the same soap. Not dirty or sweaty though, just a thick, very strong generic soap. Nothing “skanky” at all. I have one more attempt at experiencing an “animalic” scent in the mail, and it’s “Juste Filthy by Jeffrey Dame.

So I guess these new formulations cannot stand up to their former selves, but they’re done much better than the ones I grew up loving (cough, Drakkar, cough, Polo).

Performance wise, projection is monstrous in the opening, easily reaching over 6ft in radius, and leaving a thick sillage trail everywhere you go for about 2 hours. Longevity is about 4-6 hours on my skin.

I’m happy with it, and I’ll wear it out for fun. I actually like it a little more than Antaeus. Now let’s see how filthy Jeffrey Dame is, because the two tries at animalic scents I’ve had are both pretty clean feeling.
A friend for life
2021,
in the middle of the city, Pippilotta, my Rüd*in , feels the urge to run. A trickle towards the curb, where the zinc garbage cans ready for pickup steam away.
The air between the rows of houses shimmers. The heat, that unbearable heat that can't touch you in the country or by the sea.
My dog, who was given the name Dieter by his family of origin due to his gender, toddles further and further in the direction of Stammpinkelecken other Vierbeiner*innen.
Wait, there was what....A mirage? Supposed to happen when it's over 35 degrees in the shade. A man, as if in slow motion, floats past us. That smell coming from him, I know that smell.

Catapulted into the late 80s.
The locker rooms of the BSG Traktor Groß Lindow.
That's where the big boys played.
Sometimes brothers took the little ones there. Somewhat time-delayed to the training of the juniors, the ball game hour of the Windelk-i-cker took place. Not with a, although that was also true for one or the other. Boah, what has stunk there some.
Luke did not.
He was three months, two weeks and five days older than me. Our brothers were the star players of the place. When our playtime was over, we would roam the sports field, proud as Oskars. Towards the cabins of the adults, which was also allowed to be used by the half-stars.
We schmoozed around the corner of the showers and laughed ourselves silly about the celebrating players and their rituals. It smelled like cheap consumer soap. No lather, just a lather. From the urinals, separated only by a curtain of burlap, a mixture of limestone and urinal balls wafted over. In addition, the stench of players' shirts soaked in sports sweat, manufacturer Kristall, VEB Trikotagen. After foot it smelled also.

Memories of various scribbles come up. Spellings of Ferkeleien, which have opened up to us only much later. The man and I grin at each other.
Hello Lukas, is that you? How I have missed you. The boy who was my sparring partner in sports...long ago.
He tells me that he had to leave the pied nest of our childhood. Also, to be able to pursue his interests for the same sex, without spies behind the curtain. He tells about the pain he had to suffer because of his inclination in the small town and in the family and that's why he decided to stay in the city after graduation.
Only now I understand why my mother broke with Luke's....

How I recognized you, after all you would have changed visually a lot?
By your smell Lukas. How could I not recognize you? You, who were my shoulder to lean on, to cry on, when I thought I would have to travel to the angels in heaven after Daddy's death. You who held me in your arms when we sat trembling in the tree house for fear of discovery , because we called the ABV Schwabbelbacke. What have our Muttis laughed; actually only mine, if I have that correctly in memory.
Lukas, I never forget you and always recognize you among millions.
By your smell, the scent of the carefree time when neither of us knew much of the adult world or even would have been able to claim all the promises life gave us.
Kouros, the scent of our big brothers, who promised so much and kept it too.

(Kouros Vintage)

Perplexus
Yves Saint Laurent : Kouros - A statement!

Who grumbles here, has probably never really understood Yves Saint Laurent. And also not the high art of perfumes.

This fragrance is a milestone of haute couture fragrance creations and it is an absolute statement, a very successful statement. It is profound and fascinating and it is impossible to imagine life without it anyway.

He is the provocative and stylish statement of a man who was something different and who has thus gravely shaped the fashion world. A man, by the way, who has struggled with many contradictions and inner conflict, a man who has nevertheless, and probably because of this, had such a formative effect on his time as hardly any other in his industry. One of the most creative minds of his time in his profession.

In particular, his fragrance creations are primarily well thought-out provocations.

Provocations (like opium, or champagne), to which one is gladly addicted, because they are so refined. Because they also provide the outside world with a tool to make a statement. Everything follows conscious philosophy and a clear idea of what it should embody. Small universes with proper depth extend here.

Kouros is the prototype of what radiates masculinity and eroticism. It is a fragrance for individualists, not for the mainstream. The risk of rejection is always already included here, it has been part of the strategy. Kouros is a classic, whether you understand that or not.

A fragrance for men, not for boys. Because immature or mainstreamers will never really understand such fragrances and always quite silly, sometimes below the belt about it, because they can not do otherwise and because this philosophy, the statement, will forever deny themselves to them of a revelation.

Connoisseurs, on the other hand, will notice very quickly that here is a true masterpiece, which has involuntarily given generations of perfumers since its creation so some headaches, because it was just a provocation and also a small outrageous revolution for the industry.
By the way, Kouros has a lot in common with Joop Homme in its composition. However, Joop Homme has also been often enough and somewhat unjustly put down, although the accumulated sales success over the decades, similar to Kouros, has spoken quite different words.

So it doesn't hurt at all to look into the reviewed matter once before you then somewhat embarrassingly and publicly flaunt your lack of understanding and knowledge, instead of silently accepting your own inability.
Animal or animal stable?
In an article about archaic art in ancient Greece, I came across the terms "Kouros" and "Kore". Immediately I remembered Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent.
The sleek white bottle with silver accents always caught my eye, however I guess I didn't find it enticing enough.
Well then, I happened to walk by a perfumery the next day and figured I had to test it out, otherwise I'd be constantly wondering what it smelled like.
And oh man.... i wish I still didn't know what it smelled like. Because while I made up in my head that this one smelled more like fruit from the Mediterranean region paired with a spicy freshness due to the white color and Greek theme, the actual scent blew me away. And that in the most negative sense.
I've never smelled anything so strong. Next to it, petrol smells like vanilla. I couldn't even describe what it smelled like exactly, there was just too much happening at once. And I know I didn't like it.
Just looking at the scent pyramid gives you an idea of what the whole thing smells like, an indefinable blend with an unbearable sting in the nose.
Well at least the shelf life is very good to my misfortune. After 2 days I have the stuff Immernoch smelled on the back of my hand.
This fragrance has shown me that I can not stand animal scents.
If you're a little younger and attractive and want to keep all the ladies from the neck, the could already be very efficient. However, I could only determine that at the moment on one lady. My female companion had to gag after sniffing.
More I have as a conclusion also not to say.
Absolutely try out before you take home a hate fragrance. Because you have to really stand on something like that

Is it still a "King"?
There are only a couple of selected fragrances that took a good couple of years for me to appreciate. One of those is today’s legendary perfume Yves Saint Laurent Kouros.

I have heard and read so many divided opinions about this one such as “it smells like urinal cake” or “it smells like body odor” that I understand if someone would be repulsed by Kouros without even sampling it.

It’s fair to say that while Kouros Eau de Toilette has almost a mythical status within the fragrance community, there is nothing wrong if this style of fragrance doesn’t suit your tastes.

Here are my 5 quick takes:

- One of the best drydown’s of all time
- An aromatic musk perfume with good longevity
- Created by all-star perfumer Pierre Bourdon in 1981
- Best used during milder weather conditions as a daytime business scent
- It has been modernized

Is Kouros still a “King“? Well, I guess the best days are gone but are it still as important as it was back 40 years ago? Heck yes!

If you are interested in my perfume work and would like to check out the full review, you can find me on my Scent Grail website and social media's under the Scent Grail name. Cheers.

The Sweat of Sexually Aroused Gladiator In The Arena
Kouros is my naughty and raunchy fellow. This review is not suitable for younger readers because of its sexually explicit content. On my way to the hotel room after a grueling working day, I'm followed by a hearty dinner to close the deal. So tired, I undress before I even set foot in the room, the versts scattered on the floor. I throw myself in the shower to shake off all the accumulated stress, leaving me for a long time under the hot jet, but without soaping, I want to smell my clean skin on me. Still dripping, I spray Kouros all over the place, the first and penetrating smell of it pervades the room and clouds my mind, and I throw myself on the bed, my body completely naked and wet in contact with the pristine white sheets. And I fall into a sensual dream, thousands of sweaty and sculpted bodies intertwine with mine, stolen kisses, musky pubes, forbidden sex. I wake up in the morning drenched in sweat, my bed completely unmade, and realize it was just a pleasant guilty nightmare. When I leave the room, I imagine the face the maid will make as she enters, still smelling what she will think is sex, an interminable hug, a real orgy, sweat and body fluids pleasantly mixed in the air and the crumpled sheets. But this is only the fruit of my imagination, one of the many that Kouros releases in me every time I perceive that nasty smell in the air. You know what? The dirty feel is a fantastic quality in perfume when done correctly. It shows the duality of human nature, animal on one side and divine on the other—physicality with the soul.

Warning: Kouros is not for everyone. It is a perfume that divides opinions; you either hate it or love it. However, it can also create mixed feelings towards the same individual. A part of us may find it obnoxious and repulsive, while it may fascinate and attract the other interest, eager to smell it again and again. Kouros offers a no-nonsense, patently masculine, and testosterone-fuelled experience. Despite being admired by those with a trained nose, its deceptively white bottle reveals the pungent odor will often generate comparisons with places with lingering odors of what the body exudes. The closest thing I can associate with the scent of Kouros is the odor of the jockstrap's crotch soaked in groin sweat after an intense rugby match. However, to others, such a natural aroma gives the fragrance a distinct, courageous, even sexy profile, the animalic accord made more interesting by leather and amber. I think the impression Bourdon was looking for was an image of a young man's locker room after a rugby match, let's say, the air smelling of steam, soap, sweaty skin, and dirt and muddy apparel.
Kouros by YSL is exceptionally one of the finest men's fragrances ever produced among the men's perfumes you can buy. I was in college when it was released, still too young to wear it. Yet a few years later, some slightly fresh, airy, toned, and summery flankers were released, more wearable and suitable for me. And now, I've grown enough to wear it.

Kouros presents a gorgeous opening. Bitter tarragon, unripe bergamot, soapy leather, sweet honey, and bold musks add a bit of rough "sweat" to the soap accord. With a touch of shimmering aldehydes, it enhances the otherwise only too rich blend: soft, herbaceous sage and sour coriander complete the crime scene. The opening is sweet, woody bergamot with an incense quality that isn't church-like but that you can feel when you have a berry blend in your hands. It promises an expensive, classy, and very high quality, almost niche smell. It is also where the sillage slaps you in the face; it's not for skinny, snobby kids tight in jeans. The natural smell hovering through the workshop of grease and sweat-stained mechanic lying under a car, stuff for real curmudgeons. It's not for the trendy crowd that gets lost in undisturbed, delicate aquatic colonies.

The heart notes manifest after more than an hour or two, and this is where jasmine, clove, and bergamot blend into something out of this world. A gentleman's carnation along with geranium leaves and a pinch of cinnamon is what I get next. The iris's dustiness turns the heart into a dirty powder, away from CD Homme's powdery lipstick, with an abundance of indole jasmine that stands out with a more earthy vetiver. The scent is so opulent, stale, greasy that you might even think it's gone wrong. Yet no, this is the power of adulthood that oozes drop by drop from the heart of Kouros, the smell of ancient statuary bodies, legendary Greek palaces, and museums drenched in mysterious ointments. Nothing can prepare you for this beautiful, hypnotic, and magical scent. The quality of the soap becomes more pronounced the longer the fragrance remains on the skin. It supports the new almost marine composition, layered with soapy notes between the top and the bottom.
The initial morbid scent morphs into a sweaty gym man, perhaps a sweaty gym man who showered using a generic musky soap that didn't clean him thoroughly. My intrigue is turning into something else. It's almost exciting and exaggerated masculinity that hits my nostrils and goes down to the hottest parts.

The base notes develop and echo over the next six to eight hours, and the masculinity of this comes out and stays there, projecting success, style, and class to the end. The musky base note, combined with bergamot and cloves, blends in a truly masterful way. The sweetness of mellifluous patchouli is perceptible, as well as a damp green oakmoss effect. But unlike many other soapy fragrances, it doesn't go dry and dull afterward. Over time, the sweet and musky notes amplify and become part of your skin. The olibanum lingers, always in the background, and so does the leather.

The projection is legendary on this one, as is the reformulated batch I have. You will get noticed and smell yourself and love every piece of it. You will smell it on your wrist and neck for most of the day and on your coat, jacket and clothes for days if not weeks. It exudes the aura of intelligence, class, strength, and masculinity. Every fragrance collector should have at least one copy, truly a masterpiece. The formulation available in stores today is still Kouros, recognizable. Still, it looks modernized, even cleaner, and better suited to today's metrosexual male standards, which results in more woods, more vanilla talc, and less musk. Its authoritarian character makes me think of a cologne to wear in late autumn, all winter and early spring, for evening social events and discos. The sweetness of honey comes out of my body chemistry on hot, humid spring days. It's masculine for a man with a very hairy chest. Still, on my hairless skin, it's a beautiful soapy scent with the animalic note of civet, leather, and oakmoss shining in perfect harmony together, and I love it! On me, with enough sweat, this becomes a sweet, soapy, musky, animalic fragrance that lasts all day and all night. It is a clean, fresh, sweet, and musky scent that transforms into a sexy and attractive aphrodisiac. Kouros is one of the few perfumes with that "sweaty" look that I like. I don't care what your sexual orientation or preferences are here. If you like the smell of a man in his natural hygienic state, you would no doubt love this fragrance as it cleans and adds to it without completely covering it.

This review bases upon a 100ml (3.4 fl. oz) bottle I have owned since 2018.

-Elysium

NGL7NGL7 5 months ago
"I was born 6-gun in my hand Behind the gun I'll make my final stand That's why they call me BEST company And I can't deny"
WinandVWinandV 9 months ago
Clean but dirty (!), masculine and provocative! Vintage only to understand the real potential. Warning: girls of this era seem to dislike!
RobbieXRobbieX 10 months ago
A polarizing and powerful ultra masculine perfume. Lasts on clothes 'til you was them. Iconic, classic!
GuapoGuapo 11 months ago
I've been using it since the early 80's (still a teenager). Like it or not, a milestone in perfumery. A unique, eternal fragrance. Love it.
JFP26JFP26 11 months ago
Very manly and bold! Opens paradoxically clean and dirty. Dries down to a gorgeous sweet-animalic scent. Love it or hate it IMHO it's great!
KuraiKurai 1 year ago
Sweaty soap-honey-civet-moss that won't leave anyone indifferent. Either it repulses or it brings out the beast inside
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
Strong opening with coriander and clary sage. Then patchouli and carnation with musk, civet, leather and a touch of honey. 80's manly scent.
Robsam21Robsam21 2 years ago
Blast from the past!
AspvlAspvl 2 years ago
Sexy, soapy, elegant. All in one bottle. Get the metal shoulders bottle if you can. To my nose, the most perfect scent ever created.
FranknSenseFranknSense 2 years ago
Time passes by but this civet jewal stays forever. It has always been my prefered YSL.

by Sully224
by Sully224
Noch zu DM-Zeiten…..
by Schrippe
by Brz
'Cause after all he's just a man!
by EauSavage
Reformulierung
by Rasierwasser
Links 2012, Mitte 2010, Rechts 2005
by Rivegauche
Links die erste Packung ab 1981, in der Mitte eine Packung aus den Neunzigern, die rechte Packung gilt seit 2003
by Wayofscent
by Wayofscent
Links 2012, Mitte 2010, Rechts 2005
by Cardamomen
by Cardamomen
The perfume is the last and the best reservation of the past, which when all the tears have dried up, can make us cry again
ein Büroduft ?  ;-))
by Daljit
by Zezick
by Zezick

Popular by Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2002) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2011) / M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent