Kouros 1981 Eau de Toilette

Kouros (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Alain de Mourgues
Kouros (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 1981. The scent is animal-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Pierre Bourdon

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Tarragon, Coriander, Clary sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Orris root, Jasmine, Patchouli, Vetiver, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Honey, Leather, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Frankincense, Civet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.06.2021.

Perplexus
Yves Saint Laurent : Kouros - A statement!

Who grumbles here, has probably never really understood Yves Saint Laurent. And also not the high art of perfumes.

This fragrance is a milestone of haute couture fragrance creations and it is an absolute statement, a very successful statement. It is profound and fascinating and it is impossible to imagine life without it anyway.

He is the provocative and stylish statement of a man who was something different and who has thus gravely shaped the fashion world. A man, by the way, who has struggled with many contradictions and inner conflict, a man who has nevertheless, and probably because of this, had such a formative effect on his time as hardly any other in his industry. One of the most creative minds of his time in his profession.

In particular, his fragrance creations are primarily well thought-out provocations.

Provocations (like opium, or champagne), to which one is gladly addicted, because they are so refined. Because they also provide the outside world with a tool to make a statement. Everything follows conscious philosophy and a clear idea of what it should embody. Small universes with proper depth extend here.

Kouros is the prototype of what radiates masculinity and eroticism. It is a fragrance for individualists, not for the mainstream. The risk of rejection is always already included here, it has been part of the strategy. Kouros is a classic, whether you understand that or not.

A fragrance for men, not for boys. Because immature or mainstreamers will never really understand such fragrances and always quite silly, sometimes below the belt about it, because they can not do otherwise and because this philosophy, the statement, will forever deny themselves to them of a revelation.

Connoisseurs, on the other hand, will notice very quickly that here is a true masterpiece, which has involuntarily given generations of perfumers since its creation so some headaches, because it was just a provocation and also a small outrageous revolution for the industry.
By the way, Kouros has a lot in common with Joop Homme in its composition. However, Joop Homme has also been often enough and somewhat unjustly put down, although the accumulated sales success over the decades, similar to Kouros, has spoken quite different words.

So it doesn't hurt at all to look into the reviewed matter once before you then somewhat embarrassingly and publicly flaunt your lack of understanding and knowledge, instead of silently accepting your own inability.
Animal or animal stable?
In an article about archaic art in ancient Greece, I came across the terms "Kouros" and "Kore". Immediately I remembered Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent.
The sleek white bottle with silver accents always caught my eye, however I guess I didn't find it enticing enough.
Well then, I happened to walk by a perfumery the next day and figured I had to test it out, otherwise I'd be constantly wondering what it smelled like.
And oh man.... i wish I still didn't know what it smelled like. Because while I made up in my head that this one smelled more like fruit from the Mediterranean region paired with a spicy freshness due to the white color and Greek theme, the actual scent blew me away. And that in the most negative sense.
I've never smelled anything so strong. Next to it, petrol smells like vanilla. I couldn't even describe what it smelled like exactly, there was just too much happening at once. And I know I didn't like it.
Just looking at the scent pyramid gives you an idea of what the whole thing smells like, an indefinable blend with an unbearable sting in the nose.
Well at least the shelf life is very good to my misfortune. After 2 days I have the stuff Immernoch smelled on the back of my hand.
This fragrance has shown me that I can not stand animal scents.
If you're a little younger and attractive and want to keep all the ladies from the neck, the could already be very efficient. However, I could only determine that at the moment on one lady. My female companion had to gag after sniffing.
More I have as a conclusion also not to say.
Absolutely try out before you take home a hate fragrance. Because you have to really stand on something like that

Is it still a "King"?
There are only a couple of selected fragrances that took a good couple of years for me to appreciate. One of those is today’s legendary perfume Yves Saint Laurent Kouros.

I have heard and read so many divided opinions about this one such as “it smells like urinal cake” or “it smells like body odor” that I understand if someone would be repulsed by Kouros without even sampling it.

It’s fair to say that while Kouros Eau de Toilette has almost a mythical status within the fragrance community, there is nothing wrong if this style of fragrance doesn’t suit your tastes.

Here are my 5 quick takes:

- One of the best drydown’s of all time
- An aromatic musk perfume with good longevity
- Created by all-star perfumer Pierre Bourdon in 1981
- Best used during milder weather conditions as a daytime business scent
- It has been modernized

Is Kouros still a “King“? Well, I guess the best days are gone but are it still as important as it was back 40 years ago? Heck yes!

If you are interested in my perfume work and would like to check out the full review, you can find me on my Scent Grail website and social media's under the Scent Grail name. Cheers.

The Sexual Sweat of Sexually Aroused Men
Kouros is my naughty and raunchy fellow. This review is not suitable for younger readers because of its sexually explicit content. On my way to the hotel room after a grueling working day, I'm followed by a hearty dinner to close the deal. So tired, I undress before I even set foot in the room, the versts scattered on the floor. I throw myself in the shower to shake off all the accumulated stress, leaving me for a long time under the hot jet, but without soaping, I want to smell my clean skin on me. Still dripping, I spray Kouros all over the place, the first and penetrating smell of it pervades the room and clouds my mind, and I throw myself on the bed, my body completely naked and wet in contact with the pristine white sheets. And I fall into a carnal dream, thousands of sweaty and sculpted bodies intertwine with mine, stolen kisses, musky pubes, forbidden sex. I wake up in the morning drenched in sweat, my bed completely unmade, and realize it was just a pleasant guilty nightmare. When I leave the room, I imagine the face the maid will make as she enters, still smelling what she will think is sex, an interminable hug, a real orgy, sweat and body fluids pleasantly mixed in the air and the crumpled sheets. But this is only the fruit of my imagination, one of the many that Kouros releases in me every time I perceive that nasty smell in the air. You know what? The dirty feel is a fantastic quality in perfume when done correctly. It shows the duality of human nature, animal on one side and divine on the other—physicality with the soul.

Warning: Kouros is not for everyone. It is a perfume that divides opinions; you either hate it or love it. However, it can also create mixed feelings towards the same individual. A part of us may find it obnoxious and repulsive, while it may fascinate and attract the other interest, eager to smell it again and again. Kouros offers a no-nonsense, patently masculine, and testosterone-fuelled experience. Despite being admired by those with a trained nose, the pungent odor that its deceptively white bottle reveals will often generate comparisons with places with lingering odors of what the body exudes. The closest thing I can associate with the scent of Kouros is the odor of the jockstrap's crotch soaked in groin sweat after an intense rugby match. However, to others, such a natural aroma gives the fragrance a distinct, courageous, even sexy profile, the animalic accord made more interesting by leather and amber. I think the impression Bourdon was looking for was an image of a young man's locker room after a rugby match, let's say, the air smelling of steam, soap, sweaty skin and dirt and muddy apparel.
Kouros by YSL is exceptionally one of the finest men's fragrances ever produced among the men's perfumes you can buy. I was in college when it was released, still too young to wear it. Yet a few years later, some slightly fresh, airy, toned, and summery flankers were released, more wearable and suitable for me. And now, I've grown enough to wear it.

Kouros presents a gorgeous opening. Bitter tarragon, unripe bergamot, soapy leather, sweet honey, and bold musks add a bit of rough "sweat" to the soap accord. With a touch of shimmering aldehydes, it enhances the otherwise only too opulent blend: velvety, herbaceous sage, and sour coriander complete the crime scene. The opening is sweet, woody bergamot with an incense quality that isn't church-like but that you can feel when you have a berry blend in your hands. It promises an expensive, classy, and very high quality, almost niche smell. This is also where the sillage slaps you in the face; it's not for skinny, snobby kids tight in jeans. This is the real smell hovering through the workshop of grease and sweat-stained mechanic lying under a car, stuff for real curmudgeons. It's not for the trendy crowd that gets lost in undisturbed, delicate aquatic colonies.

The heart notes manifest after more than an hour or two, and this is where jasmine, clove, and bergamot blend into something out of this world. A gentleman's carnation along with geranium leaves and a pinch of cinnamon is what I get next. The iris's dustiness turns the heart into a dirty powder, away from CD Homme's powdery lipstick, with an abundance of indole jasmine that stands out with more earthy vetiver. The scent is so opulent, stale, greasy that you might even think it's gone wrong. Yet no, this is the power of adulthood that oozes drop by drop from the heart of Kouros, the smell of ancient statuary bodies, legendary Greek palaces, and museums drenched in mysterious ointments. Nothing can prepare you for this beautiful, hypnotic, and magical scent. The quality of the soap becomes more pronounced the longer the fragrance remains on the skin. It supports the new and almost marine composition, layered with soapy notes between the top and the bottom.
The initial morbid scent morphs into a sweaty gym man, perhaps a sweaty gym man who showered using a generic musky soap that didn't clean him thoroughly. My intrigue is turning into something else. It's almost exciting and exaggerated masculinity that hits my nostrils and goes down to the hottest parts.

The base notes develop and echo over the next six to eight hours, and the masculinity of this comes out and stays there, projecting success, style, and class to the end. The musky base note, combined with bergamot and cloves, blends in a truly masterful way. The sweetness of mellifluous patchouli is perceptible, as well as a damp green oakmoss effect. But unlike many other soapy fragrances, it doesn't go dry and dull afterward. Over time, the sweet and musky notes amplify and become part of your skin. The olibanum lingers, always in the background, and so does the leather.

The projection is legendary on this one, as is the reformulated batch I have. You will get noticed and smell yourself and love every piece of it. You will smell it on your wrist and neck for most of the day and on your coat, jacket and clothes for days if not weeks. It exudes the aura of intelligence, class, strength, and masculinity. Every fragrance collector should have at least one copy, truly a masterpiece. The formulation available in stores today is still Kouros, recognizable. Still, it looks modernized, even cleaner, and better suited to today's metrosexual male standards, which results in more woods, more vanilla talc, and less musk. Its authoritarian character makes me think of a cologne to wear in late autumn, all winter and early spring, for evening social events and discos. The sweetness of honey comes out of my body chemistry on hot, humid spring days. It's masculine for a man with a very hairy chest. Still, on my hairless skin, it's a beautiful soapy scent with the animalic note of civet, leather, and oakmoss shining in perfect harmony together, and I love it! On me, with enough sweat, this becomes a sweet, soapy, musky, animalic fragrance that lasts all day and all night. It is a clean, fresh, sweet, and musky scent that transforms into a very sexy and attractive aphrodisiac. Kouros is one of the few perfumes with that "sweaty" look that I like. I don't care what your sexual orientation or preferences are here. If you like the smell of a man in his natural hygienic state, you would no doubt love this fragrance as it cleans and adds to it without completely covering it.

This review bases upon a 100ml (3.4 fl. oz) bottle I own since 2018.

-Elysium
Inimitably tempting!
In the early 90s, I came across Kouros. In the student commune of my then boyfriend, the fragrance made the rounds.
From then on, my nose was stapled to his neck, whenever that was wetted with this seductive attractant. If I may avail myself of Toytiger's lovely image of the "stinking ocelot enclosure," Kourus turned quite a few of us young women into cats in heat.
Incomparably animalistic, coarse, strong and irresistible.

No idea if today's texture is still the same. Kouros is for me a fragrance of its time and forever associated with youth, masculine strength and vitality.
2020Antiope
Big, strong, masculine - or rather choose another fragrance
Kouros dominates its wearer; sometimes he even slays him.
This fragrance requires men with legs like columns and a chest like a lion. Powerful men. Bodyguards; decathlete. And by no means shy. On rather super slim and reserved men, Kouros probably seems rather out of place; he gives them the impression of too much "make up" or gives them the look of camouflage!
That is why one should choose Kouros with full conviction - or make oneself ridiculous. This fragrance invites you to live out your tempestuous masculinity; all clichés of wild adventure life, male friendships or even superior, self-chosen single life are captured in it and unfold like a revelation when worn. For sensual women, Kouros wearers are a challenge to conquer - if not too much of it has been caught! Animal scents should always be worn with a sure instinct - otherwise the shot will backfire and you will be left alone with all your masculinity........

Iconic masculinity
An iconic fragrance and a refference in the scent world, which I used to dislike when I was în college (when a lot of foreign students wore it way too loud making it unbearable for the rest of us).
I tried it again few years ago and it caught me because on one hand, my nose has 'matured' meanwhile, and on the other hand this reformulated version is (fortunately) more bearable for me, so when I got the chance I bought it happily.
Coriander, sage, bergamot with a touch of honey sweetness is what I get from the start, followed quickly by an mellowing flowery combo of geranium, patchouli and carnation, with the top aromatic-sweetness still in background. In the next 2 hrs the scent matures in its leathery-animalic-musky base, very mature and compelling.
A great 'rugged barbershop' style frag which I really like it a lot and even if it's kinda 'weak' now (for others who used to treasure its vintage version's power) it suits me well and so others noses around me. My rank 9/10 - a keeper in my everyday spring/summer night wardrobe.

The divinization of youth
The origin of the word "Kouros" comes from ancient Greece, and refers to the naked statue of a young man standing. It does not represent any young individual in particular, but the very idea of ​​youth. It was a sculpture theme widely used in ancient Greece, and in dedication to the gods in sanctuaries (usually identifying Apollo) and also as a funerary monument. The "Kouros" were usually sculpted with the left foot preceding the right foot, the arms at the sides, and the eyes looking straight ahead.
This concept and its representation was a very dear theme also to the man Yves Saint Laurent. The perfume is portrayed "in house" as embodying the spirit of youthful conquest, and perfection in the male gender. As a fragrance, Yves Saint Laurent intended to conceive a "perfume for a living god". Kouros, as a product concept, inspires the athletic aesthetics of the male body, in an appeal to sensuality. It is dedicated to a generic man, but a manly one, triumphant, and sure of his power.
With Kouros, YSL developed a bold new concept as an intense aromatic fougére developed with strong animalistic and spice notes, but above all, deeply masculine.
The Kouros perfume has proved to be an extremely bi-polar proposition. You either love it or hate it.
Spicy herbs such as laurel, sage, and coriander, curbed with aldehydes, start an intense opening that extends with also intense aromatic notes of cloves, geranium, and sweet cinnamon. But the perfume's DNA imposes itself as a scent that is associated with a half-human, half-animal masculinity. It is the strong accords of leather and musk, amber and civet, that define the fragrance's honeyed bottom stage and impose themselves as an aura around us.
As I read it in a critic's column, I would like to mention that: "In opposition to its creation process, this perfume is not for a Cristiano Ronaldo or a David Beckham. It is for an Eric Cantona or a Paul Gascoigne."

How can I rate this divine fragrant concept?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Opening: 9,0 (an alluring fougére burst)
Drydown: 10.0 (an animal, carnal, honeyed deep scent)
Longevity: 9.0 (up to 10 hours in my skin, with 3 sprays)
Sillage: 9.0 (8~10 feet sillage with 2.5 hours of strong projection)
Uniqueness: 10.0 (it's Kouros!)
Wearability: 8.5 (not really for war weather)
Versatility: 8.0 (it's just not suitable for sports, gym, or the seaside; avid the vicinity of sensible noses)
Compliments: 8.5 (well above average, but has its haters)
Quality: 10.0 (well above average)
Presentation: 6.5 (even if I understand the concept of similarity to an ancient Greece column, I am not forced to love its white plastic look)
Price: 7.5 (currently sells around €65.00+taxes)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8,73/10.00
between 7 and 8 =above average;
between 8 and 9 = recommended;
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Opinion on Kouros Eau de Toilette: If you can handle and love civet, leather, and musk this is your scent.
Recommended? Yes, both as a perfume and an industry icon.
Is blind buy worthy? Not really. Take it easy and try it first.

Music: George Michael, Elton John - "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"
Reiser
The smell of the white city
Mr Reiser spent the early 80s as a student in Paris. The Coming out had been completed at the end of the 70s in the homeland. Now there was a lot of horizon, and Paris stood up for it. The future a white sheet that we would describe as long and beautifully as possible. So we hoped. The city was white then, too. White pants and loud shirts, the uniform on boulevard and campus. We would have liked to buy them from Saint Laurent, who made the most beautiful ones, but we couldn't afford it. We just looked at them in his store. It was white. And scented with kouros. In the white customer toilet the milk-white Kourosseife. YSL was one of our heroes. He had already gotten naked in the 70s, when the shame of the province still ruled us. Now we lived in his city, which promised great freedom, and we could see him in person. In theory. I have never seen him, at La Coupole he was always just gone or would come very soon. I'm sure. So they said. He never came. But we had Kouros, his fragrance, of which Luca Turin will later write in his "Little Book of Great Perfumes" that it smells "like the tanned skin of a guy with pomade in his hair who just got out of the shower". How could we not like it? Saint Laurent had posters hung on which the flat, marble-white bottle, which was modelled on archaic youth sculptures, was placed in front of a blue sky next to an incredibly perfect naked man. The smell was as shockingly loud as our shirts and clubs, which were called discos at that time. Dirty and full of flavors like these shirts at the end of a far too long party night full of loss of control. Loud and dirty we liked; and we had nothing against the Parisian "tearooms", the urinals, with which our scent was quickly associated. Kouros smelled like our nights, sounds and escapades. It did not stand in the room as a defined aroma, it was the cast-iron vessel of many completely incompatible aromas, which suddenly came together so fittingly and overwhelmingly, as if it could not be otherwise. Herbs, animal and human secretions, woods, chemicals such as those from detergents, Campari, the dominant coriander, which was actually used in all perfumes of the 80s. Very pungent green notes. Something smelly and aquatic. And at the same time a very peculiar sweetness, which was perhaps due to the honey. We learned that the animalistic puff that hung longest was called civet. We decided to think of Kouros as a sexual perfume. A fragrance as a bet on the future. The reactions of the people in the bus and metro confirmed that the Sillage was strong and our scent was not their scent. That's the way we wanted it. At night, in our bars and discos, all of Paris really smelled of Kouros. At least that's the way my memory wants it. And as narrow boys we ourselves were probably never closer to a Kouros than in those days. Kouros created a lasting bond between us. In the lecture hall we recognized each other when we noticed this smell. We wore him like the signal cloth in our jeans. This is the magic that a fragrance can have: it creates stable connections to places, times and people. And however the scent changed in the following decades, it stayed with us as the white leaf was gradually written on. Not at all what we thought. A virus came and emptied the bars and discos. People switched from the dance floor to the hospital bed. It happened so fast that we didn't even understand what was happening to our world. Now we smuggled kouros to the AIDS stations instead of flowers, so that our friends at least did not have to miss the familiar scent. And the tape held until the end. Above the increasingly frequent mourning societies there was a feather-light Kouros cloud that testified that we did not regret our wild years but mourned them. Which showed that we saw ourselves as a community. At some point, most of those who survived had left Paris. Kouros was getting weaker, but that was all right, we were. The civet aroma is now extracted from algae. I have no objections. As long as I can still recognize the scent. And when we meet today, here in Berlin or elsewhere, all of us gentlemen in their sixty-something years, longtime survivors or simply lucky devils, then at least one of us has hung up Kouros as a sentimental reminder of our white city and the noisy good years. We don't wear kouros often anymore, but when we do, we know why we wear it. And sometimes it's enough just to pick up the marble white bottle.
Tougher Than the Rest
This fragrance is my most worn fragrance for 20 years. He's been with me since I was a kid in my eighties. Deeply rooted in my limbic system since it was very popular at that time. For my childhood nose, he was also the epitome of perfume for a man.
Decomposing this fragrance into its nuances and components is almost a matter of rest. He just smells like Kouros. And that's what I think it is! When a perfume is a fragrance experience and you can't think of anything else.
Or to have to say: "Smells like Kouros!" "Reminds me of Kouros!"
Standing alone, setting standards, a rock in the surf.
Kouros doesn't care about opinions.
Kouros does not want to please.
Kouros needs no applause.
Kouros is not holding out the other cheek.
Kouros does not subordinate himself.
If you find yourself now, it could be your scent, too.
Pretty sure you should bring charisma and some life experience, maybe some scars and of course the ability to make and defend unpopular decisions However, in situations where you should be balancing or actually subordinate, I would advise against using this fragrance. Examples of this would be an interview in a therapeutic context or an interview. Before visiting a perfumery, I would also leave it...
In contrast, there are also situations in which you need Kouros!
Due to the enormous dominance and brutal durability you can use Kouros like a tool.
Busy working days, violating someone's opinion, enforcing something...
A handy example:
Long working day coupled with an excessive afterwork, then still (what was her name again) conquest on the other side of the bed, got up much too late, no time for shower.

Kouros will take care of it.

Finally, I remember one more song: Sisters of Mercy-Detontation Boulevard

PS:
For all the Tinderboys, Parshippers, Hipsters and other Bubis: YouTube Jeremy surely has the right one for you!

JFP26JFP26 5 days ago
Very manly and bold! Opens paradoxically clean and dirty. Dries down to a gorgeous sweet-animalic scent. Love it or hate it IMHO it's great!
KuraiKurai 2 months ago
Sweaty soap-honey-civet-moss that won't leave anyone indifferent. Either it repulses or it brings out the beast inside
BertolucciKBertolucciK 6 months ago
Strong opening with coriander and clary sage. Then patchouli and carnation with musk, civet, leather and a touch of honey. 80's manly scent.
Robsam21Robsam21 1 year ago
Blast from the past!
AspvlAspvl 1 year ago
Sexy, soapy, elegant. All in one bottle. Get the metal shoulders bottle if you can. To my nose, the most perfect scent ever created.
FranknSenseFranknSense 1 year ago
Time passes by but this civet jewal stays forever. It has always been my prefered YSL.
CatarinaCatarina 2 years ago
This fragrance is scientifically known as CIVETOSAURUS-REX. It's powerful, animalic, spicy, magical and genuinely masculine.
KingPinKingPin 2 years ago
I had this as a young gun in the 80-ies, but I still can't decide if i love it or hate it. It's polarizing even on an idividual level.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Animalic musky beast mode masterpiece, almost 40 years old (to date). A milestone of the fragrance industry by Bourdon and a must have!
AmberScentAmberScent 3 years ago
After almost 40 years Kouros remains unique, actual and desirable. Together with Opium is the best YSL perfume for me so far... just great!

by Gumschel
by Gumschel
Es
by Rasierwasser
Noch zu DM-Zeiten…..
by Schrippe
'Cause after all he's just a man!
by EauSavage
Reformulierung
by Rasierwasser
Links 2012, Mitte 2010, Rechts 2005
by Rivegauche
Links die erste Packung ab 1981, in der Mitte eine Packung aus den Neunzigern, die rechte Packung gilt seit 2003
Links 2012, Mitte 2010, Rechts 2005
by Hndrk
by Daljit
by Daljit

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent