Kouros 1981 Eau de Toilette

Kouros (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Alain de Mourgues
Kouros (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 1981. The scent is animal-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Pierre Bourdon

Tonka beanTonka bean
VanillaVanilla
FrankincenseFrankincense
CivetCivet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.10.2021.

The Greek Beast
Launched in 1981, Kouros has been one of the most famous love it or hate it fragrances of our time. My 1st purchase was around 1990. I wish i still had that bottle for sentimental reasons and of course for vintage purposes. I own 3 bottles from different time periods. 1986 2003 2019. The scent is similar and boy is it powerful. This stuff just lasts. Many notes are inside and the sleazy grimy animalic tone is a favorite of mine. Looking for vintage bottles online i laugh at how expensive some of these bottles are. It makes me dizzy thinking about it but sellers aren't stupid, just greedy but if u look hard enough you will find a bargain. Just have patience lol. Kouros has sadly been butchered and reformulated at least a half dozen times. I wish they'd just leave it the hell alone. But I'll keep on wearing this beast until the end of my days and it's one of those fragrances that i didn't really like when i was younger but i love it now as my tastes have matured. If i only knew then what i know now. You definitely do not have to overapply this one. 4 sprays and you are golden

..and I smiled.
“When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.”
1 Corinthians 13:11

"Eww, you smell exactly like your father!"-she said.

During my teenage years I never knew why my mother always said Kouros was one of her favorite fragrances ever. It seemed like everytime I tried to get myself to understand that I end up on the cold dark road (that pissy road to be exact, you know, the one next to the main highway). It seemed like I was tapdancing in the dark..for a long time. I remember I couldn't stop thinking about the fragrance for some reason..so periodicaly I kept coming back to it, to smell it again and again, hoping I could experience the exact feeling my mother had when she smelled Kouros (the best men's fragrance ever-her words) for the first time-but still no luck! After that, my interest started growing more and more each day because I couldn't understand that fragrance from the inside out like I used to understand other fragrances..and why was my mother so obsessed with it..this was a big enigma for me, and since I always loved mysteries, I kept pushing forward, I had to.

After 15 years..as soon as I got my first few greys on my beard I thought maybe now is the time, right?!
Still the same effect! Weird. All untill..
..one year ago I saw Kouros standing on some dusty shelve in an old perfumery in Switzerland. It looked kinda lost, lonely..something spoke to me in that moment and I went and sprayed it directly on my skin. Sensation I was anticipating for more than 15 years was there! From the opening untill the most beautiful, manliest, perfect, addictive drydown ever! Yes! It was worth of wait for so long! Now I understand how my mother felt when she experienced it for the first time! I was so happy and thrilled, so I came home and started telling whole story to my girl. After my half-hour monologue she just said "Eww you smell exactly like your father!"
(I sat there for a brief moment in silence and then it hit me) - "Yes I finally do"-and I smiled.

ScentSlave
I guess the new formula is just a shadow of its former self…
I ordered the 2021 version, as I’ve never smelled Kouros (or THOUGHT that, anyway). It finally arrived in the mail, and I excited tore it open to see what the fuss is all about.

Now I grew up in the 80’s, but never experienced the “animalic” scents of that era (I was more into Polo Green and Drakkar Noir). No Kouros, and no Antaeus for me growing up.

So now that I’m so entwined in the fragrance community, and love it so much, that I thought I just HAVE to get an understanding as to WHAT “anamalic” actually IS, and what it feels like. I immediately ordered Kouros and Antaeus because they sit at the top of the chain there.

Now I know that both of the versions I have are reformulated 40 years later, and that the animal notes are illegal now, but these two don’t strike me as “filthy feeling” at all. In the new Kouros, I don’t get anything that smells “pissy” or “dirty”.

It’s actually very soapy feeling. It reminds me of my grandfather. Like a cheap soap, with a very pungent aroma. I laughed out loud at my wife’s reaction, as she could smell me from over 8ft away, and she was gasping for air. She noted that the sillage was thick, and that the scent trail easily marked where I’d been after I left.

The scent reminds me of the men’s locker room; where all the athletes are using the same soap. Not dirty or sweaty though, just a thick, very strong generic soap. Nothing “skanky” at all. I have one more attempt at experiencing an “animalic” scent in the mail, and it’s “Juste Filthy by Jeffrey Dame.

So I guess these new formulations cannot stand up to their former selves, but they’re done much better than the ones I grew up loving (cough, Drakkar, cough, Polo).

Performance wise, projection is monstrous in the opening, easily reaching over 6ft in radius, and leaving a thick sillage trail everywhere you go for about 2 hours. Longevity is about 4-6 hours on my skin.

I’m happy with it, and I’ll wear it out for fun. I actually like it a little more than Antaeus. Now let’s see how filthy Jeffrey Dame is, because the two tries at animalic scents I’ve had are both pretty clean feeling.
A friend for life
2021,
in the middle of the city, Pippilotta, my Rüd*in , feels the urge to run. A trickle towards the curb, where the zinc garbage cans ready for pickup steam away.
The air between the rows of houses shimmers. The heat, that unbearable heat that can't touch you in the country or by the sea.
My dog, who was given the name Dieter by his family of origin due to his gender, toddles further and further in the direction of Stammpinkelecken other Vierbeiner*innen.
Wait, there was what....A mirage? Supposed to happen when it's over 35 degrees in the shade. A man, as if in slow motion, floats past us. That smell coming from him, I know that smell.

Catapulted into the late 80s.
The locker rooms of the BSG Traktor Groß Lindow.
That's where the big boys played.
Sometimes brothers took the little ones there. Somewhat time-delayed to the training of the juniors, the ball game hour of the Windelk-i-cker took place. Not with a, although that was also true for one or the other. Boah, what has stunk there some.
Luke did not.
He was three months, two weeks and five days older than me. Our brothers were the star players of the place. When our playtime was over, we would roam the sports field, proud as Oskars. Towards the cabins of the adults, which was also allowed to be used by the half-stars.
We schmoozed around the corner of the showers and laughed ourselves silly about the celebrating players and their rituals. It smelled like cheap consumer soap. No lather, just a lather. From the urinals, separated only by a curtain of burlap, a mixture of limestone and urinal balls wafted over. In addition, the stench of players' shirts soaked in sports sweat, manufacturer Kristall, VEB Trikotagen. After foot it smelled also.

Memories of various scribbles come up. Spellings of Ferkeleien, which have opened up to us only much later. The man and I grin at each other.
Hello Lukas, is that you? How I have missed you. The boy who was my sparring partner in sports...long ago.
He tells me that he had to leave the pied nest of our childhood. Also, to be able to pursue his interests for the same sex, without spies behind the curtain. He tells about the pain he had to suffer because of his inclination in the small town and in the family and that's why he decided to stay in the city after graduation.
Only now I understand why my mother broke with Luke's....

How I recognized you, after all you would have changed visually a lot?
By your smell Lukas. How could I not recognize you? You, who were my shoulder to lean on, to cry on, when I thought I would have to travel to the angels in heaven after Daddy's death. You who held me in your arms when we sat trembling in the tree house for fear of discovery , because we called the ABV Schwabbelbacke. What have our Muttis laughed; actually only mine, if I have that correctly in memory.
Lukas, I never forget you and always recognize you among millions.
By your smell, the scent of the carefree time when neither of us knew much of the adult world or even would have been able to claim all the promises life gave us.
Kouros, the scent of our big brothers, who promised so much and kept it too.

(Kouros Vintage)

Perplexus
Yves Saint Laurent : Kouros - A statement!

Who grumbles here, has probably never really understood Yves Saint Laurent. And also not the high art of perfumes.

This fragrance is a milestone of haute couture fragrance creations and it is an absolute statement, a very successful statement. It is profound and fascinating and it is impossible to imagine life without it anyway.

He is the provocative and stylish statement of a man who was something different and who has thus gravely shaped the fashion world. A man, by the way, who has struggled with many contradictions and inner conflict, a man who has nevertheless, and probably because of this, had such a formative effect on his time as hardly any other in his industry. One of the most creative minds of his time in his profession.

In particular, his fragrance creations are primarily well thought-out provocations.

Provocations (like opium, or champagne), to which one is gladly addicted, because they are so refined. Because they also provide the outside world with a tool to make a statement. Everything follows conscious philosophy and a clear idea of what it should embody. Small universes with proper depth extend here.

Kouros is the prototype of what radiates masculinity and eroticism. It is a fragrance for individualists, not for the mainstream. The risk of rejection is always already included here, it has been part of the strategy. Kouros is a classic, whether you understand that or not.

A fragrance for men, not for boys. Because immature or mainstreamers will never really understand such fragrances and always quite silly, sometimes below the belt about it, because they can not do otherwise and because this philosophy, the statement, will forever deny themselves to them of a revelation.

Connoisseurs, on the other hand, will notice very quickly that here is a true masterpiece, which has involuntarily given generations of perfumers since its creation so some headaches, because it was just a provocation and also a small outrageous revolution for the industry.
By the way, Kouros has a lot in common with Joop Homme in its composition. However, Joop Homme has also been often enough and somewhat unjustly put down, although the accumulated sales success over the decades, similar to Kouros, has spoken quite different words.

So it doesn't hurt at all to look into the reviewed matter once before you then somewhat embarrassingly and publicly flaunt your lack of understanding and knowledge, instead of silently accepting your own inability.
Animal or animal stable?
In an article about archaic art in ancient Greece, I came across the terms "Kouros" and "Kore". Immediately I remembered Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent.
The sleek white bottle with silver accents always caught my eye, however I guess I didn't find it enticing enough.
Well then, I happened to walk by a perfumery the next day and figured I had to test it out, otherwise I'd be constantly wondering what it smelled like.
And oh man.... i wish I still didn't know what it smelled like. Because while I made up in my head that this one smelled more like fruit from the Mediterranean region paired with a spicy freshness due to the white color and Greek theme, the actual scent blew me away. And that in the most negative sense.
I've never smelled anything so strong. Next to it, petrol smells like vanilla. I couldn't even describe what it smelled like exactly, there was just too much happening at once. And I know I didn't like it.
Just looking at the scent pyramid gives you an idea of what the whole thing smells like, an indefinable blend with an unbearable sting in the nose.
Well at least the shelf life is very good to my misfortune. After 2 days I have the stuff Immernoch smelled on the back of my hand.
This fragrance has shown me that I can not stand animal scents.
If you're a little younger and attractive and want to keep all the ladies from the neck, the could already be very efficient. However, I could only determine that at the moment on one lady. My female companion had to gag after sniffing.
More I have as a conclusion also not to say.
Absolutely try out before you take home a hate fragrance. Because you have to really stand on something like that

Is it still a "King"?
There are only a couple of selected fragrances that took a good couple of years for me to appreciate. One of those is today’s legendary perfume Yves Saint Laurent Kouros.

I have heard and read so many divided opinions about this one such as “it smells like urinal cake” or “it smells like body odor” that I understand if someone would be repulsed by Kouros without even sampling it.

It’s fair to say that while Kouros Eau de Toilette has almost a mythical status within the fragrance community, there is nothing wrong if this style of fragrance doesn’t suit your tastes.

Here are my 5 quick takes:

- One of the best drydown’s of all time
- An aromatic musk perfume with good longevity
- Created by all-star perfumer Pierre Bourdon in 1981
- Best used during milder weather conditions as a daytime business scent
- It has been modernized

Is Kouros still a “King“? Well, I guess the best days are gone but are it still as important as it was back 40 years ago? Heck yes!

If you are interested in my perfume work and would like to check out the full review, you can find me on my Scent Grail website and social media's under the Scent Grail name. Cheers.

The Sweat of Sexually Aroused Gladiator In The Arena
Kouros is my naughty and raunchy fellow. This review is not suitable for younger readers because of its sexually explicit content. On my way to the hotel room after a grueling working day, I'm followed by a hearty dinner to close the deal. So tired, I undress before I even set foot in the room, the versts scattered on the floor. I throw myself in the shower to shake off all the accumulated stress, leaving me for a long time under the hot jet, but without soaping, I want to smell my clean skin on me. Still dripping, I spray Kouros all over the place, the first and penetrating smell of it pervades the room and clouds my mind, and I throw myself on the bed, my body completely naked and wet in contact with the pristine white sheets. And I fall into a sensual dream, thousands of sweaty and sculpted bodies intertwine with mine, stolen kisses, musky pubes, forbidden sex. I wake up in the morning drenched in sweat, my bed completely unmade, and realize it was just a pleasant guilty nightmare. When I leave the room, I imagine the face the maid will make as she enters, still smelling what she will think is sex, an interminable hug, a real orgy, sweat and body fluids pleasantly mixed in the air and the crumpled sheets. But this is only the fruit of my imagination, one of the many that Kouros releases in me every time I perceive that nasty smell in the air. You know what? The dirty feel is a fantastic quality in perfume when done correctly. It shows the duality of human nature, animal on one side and divine on the other—physicality with the soul.

Warning: Kouros is not for everyone. It is a perfume that divides opinions; you either hate it or love it. However, it can also create mixed feelings towards the same individual. A part of us may find it obnoxious and repulsive, while it may fascinate and attract the other interest, eager to smell it again and again. Kouros offers a no-nonsense, patently masculine, and testosterone-fuelled experience. Despite being admired by those with a trained nose, its deceptively white bottle reveals the pungent odor will often generate comparisons with places with lingering odors of what the body exudes. The closest thing I can associate with the scent of Kouros is the odor of the jockstrap's crotch soaked in groin sweat after an intense rugby match. However, to others, such a natural aroma gives the fragrance a distinct, courageous, even sexy profile, the animalic accord made more interesting by leather and amber. I think the impression Bourdon was looking for was an image of a young man's locker room after a rugby match, let's say, the air smelling of steam, soap, sweaty skin, and dirt and muddy apparel.
Kouros by YSL is exceptionally one of the finest men's fragrances ever produced among the men's perfumes you can buy. I was in college when it was released, still too young to wear it. Yet a few years later, some slightly fresh, airy, toned, and summery flankers were released, more wearable and suitable for me. And now, I've grown enough to wear it.

Kouros presents a gorgeous opening. Bitter tarragon, unripe bergamot, soapy leather, sweet honey, and bold musks add a bit of rough "sweat" to the soap accord. With a touch of shimmering aldehydes, it enhances the otherwise only too rich blend: soft, herbaceous sage and sour coriander complete the crime scene. The opening is sweet, woody bergamot with an incense quality that isn't church-like but that you can feel when you have a berry blend in your hands. It promises an expensive, classy, and very high quality, almost niche smell. It is also where the sillage slaps you in the face; it's not for skinny, snobby kids tight in jeans. The natural smell hovering through the workshop of grease and sweat-stained mechanic lying under a car, stuff for real curmudgeons. It's not for the trendy crowd that gets lost in undisturbed, delicate aquatic colonies.

The heart notes manifest after more than an hour or two, and this is where jasmine, clove, and bergamot blend into something out of this world. A gentleman's carnation along with geranium leaves and a pinch of cinnamon is what I get next. The iris's dustiness turns the heart into a dirty powder, away from CD Homme's powdery lipstick, with an abundance of indole jasmine that stands out with a more earthy vetiver. The scent is so opulent, stale, greasy that you might even think it's gone wrong. Yet no, this is the power of adulthood that oozes drop by drop from the heart of Kouros, the smell of ancient statuary bodies, legendary Greek palaces, and museums drenched in mysterious ointments. Nothing can prepare you for this beautiful, hypnotic, and magical scent. The quality of the soap becomes more pronounced the longer the fragrance remains on the skin. It supports the new almost marine composition, layered with soapy notes between the top and the bottom.
The initial morbid scent morphs into a sweaty gym man, perhaps a sweaty gym man who showered using a generic musky soap that didn't clean him thoroughly. My intrigue is turning into something else. It's almost exciting and exaggerated masculinity that hits my nostrils and goes down to the hottest parts.

The base notes develop and echo over the next six to eight hours, and the masculinity of this comes out and stays there, projecting success, style, and class to the end. The musky base note, combined with bergamot and cloves, blends in a truly masterful way. The sweetness of mellifluous patchouli is perceptible, as well as a damp green oakmoss effect. But unlike many other soapy fragrances, it doesn't go dry and dull afterward. Over time, the sweet and musky notes amplify and become part of your skin. The olibanum lingers, always in the background, and so does the leather.

The projection is legendary on this one, as is the reformulated batch I have. You will get noticed and smell yourself and love every piece of it. You will smell it on your wrist and neck for most of the day and on your coat, jacket and clothes for days if not weeks. It exudes the aura of intelligence, class, strength, and masculinity. Every fragrance collector should have at least one copy, truly a masterpiece. The formulation available in stores today is still Kouros, recognizable. Still, it looks modernized, even cleaner, and better suited to today's metrosexual male standards, which results in more woods, more vanilla talc, and less musk. Its authoritarian character makes me think of a cologne to wear in late autumn, all winter and early spring, for evening social events and discos. The sweetness of honey comes out of my body chemistry on hot, humid spring days. It's masculine for a man with a very hairy chest. Still, on my hairless skin, it's a beautiful soapy scent with the animalic note of civet, leather, and oakmoss shining in perfect harmony together, and I love it! On me, with enough sweat, this becomes a sweet, soapy, musky, animalic fragrance that lasts all day and all night. It is a clean, fresh, sweet, and musky scent that transforms into a sexy and attractive aphrodisiac. Kouros is one of the few perfumes with that "sweaty" look that I like. I don't care what your sexual orientation or preferences are here. If you like the smell of a man in his natural hygienic state, you would no doubt love this fragrance as it cleans and adds to it without completely covering it.

This review bases upon a 100ml (3.4 fl. oz) bottle I have owned since 2018.

-Elysium
Inimitably tempting!
In the early 90s, I came across Kouros. In the student commune of my then boyfriend, the fragrance made the rounds.
From then on, my nose was stapled to his neck, whenever that was wetted with this seductive attractant. If I may avail myself of Toytiger's lovely image of the "stinking ocelot enclosure," Kourus turned quite a few of us young women into cats in heat.
Incomparably animalistic, coarse, strong and irresistible.

No idea if today's texture is still the same. Kouros is for me a fragrance of its time and forever associated with youth, masculine strength and vitality.

Iconic masculinity
An iconic fragrance and a refference in the scent world, which I used to dislike when I was în college (when a lot of foreign students wore it way too loud making it unbearable for the rest of us).
I tried it again few years ago and it caught me because on one hand, my nose has 'matured' meanwhile, and on the other hand this reformulated version is (fortunately) more bearable for me, so when I got the chance I bought it happily.
Coriander, sage, bergamot with a touch of honey sweetness is what I get from the start, followed quickly by an mellowing flowery combo of geranium, patchouli and carnation, with the top aromatic-sweetness still in background. In the next 2 hrs the scent matures in its leathery-animalic-musky base, very mature and compelling.
A great 'rugged barbershop' style frag which I really like it a lot and even if it's kinda 'weak' now (for others who used to treasure its vintage version's power) it suits me well and so others noses around me. My rank 9/10 - a keeper in my everyday spring/summer night wardrobe.

WinandVWinandV 1 month ago
Clean but dirty (!), masculine and provocative! Vintage only to understand the real potential. Warning: girls of this era seem to dislike!
RobbieXRobbieX 3 months ago
A polarizing and powerful ultra masculine perfume. Lasts on clothes 'til you was them. Iconic, classic!
GuapoGuapo 4 months ago
I've been using it since the early 80's (still a teenager). Like it or not, a milestone in perfumery. A unique, eternal fragrance. Love it.
JFP26JFP26 4 months ago
Very manly and bold! Opens paradoxically clean and dirty. Dries down to a gorgeous sweet-animalic scent. Love it or hate it IMHO it's great!
KuraiKurai 6 months ago
Sweaty soap-honey-civet-moss that won't leave anyone indifferent. Either it repulses or it brings out the beast inside
BertolucciKBertolucciK 10 months ago
Strong opening with coriander and clary sage. Then patchouli and carnation with musk, civet, leather and a touch of honey. 80's manly scent.
Robsam21Robsam21 2 years ago
Blast from the past!
AspvlAspvl 2 years ago
Sexy, soapy, elegant. All in one bottle. Get the metal shoulders bottle if you can. To my nose, the most perfect scent ever created.
FranknSenseFranknSense 2 years ago
Time passes by but this civet jewal stays forever. It has always been my prefered YSL.
CatarinaCatarina 2 years ago
This fragrance is scientifically known as CIVETOSAURUS-REX. It's powerful, animalic, spicy, magical and genuinely masculine.

by Sully224
by Sully224
Noch zu DM-Zeiten…..
by Schrippe
by Gumschel
by Gumschel
Es
by Rasierwasser
'Cause after all he's just a man!
by EauSavage
Reformulierung
by Rasierwasser
Links 2012, Mitte 2010, Rechts 2005
by Rivegauche
Links die erste Packung ab 1981, in der Mitte eine Packung aus den Neunzigern, die rechte Packung gilt seit 2003
by Wayofscent
by Hndrk
by Daljit
by Daljit

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent