L'Homme 2006Eau de Toilette

L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2006. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Ginger, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBasil, Spices, Violet, White pepper
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, Vetiver, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.04.2021.

Love the scent
Just beautiful scent. PERIOD. I don't know how to describe this. Masculine, fresh and sweet at the same time, very versatile and mass appealing. Very safe to blind buy and you'll never regret it. It just lacks in performance, it doesn't long lasting frags. Love this?
Blind purchase
Blind bought because the La Nuit series has surprised me positively, unfortunately, came here the disillusionment.

The bottle itself is very nice as in the whole L`Homme series and makes something when he stands on the shelf.
The fragrance times applied and what do I smell? Freshness and soap.
A really soapy smell that smells in my opinion not after high-quality soap but similar to S Oliver so Pure. Somehow after chemical soap, it bergamot I still smell out what makes the fragrance a little more pleasant. For a designer fragrance in the price range I find it very bad when a 13€ fragrance has almost exactly the same soapy smell.
For my nose the fragrance is nothing.
I will give the fragrance a few more chances and then probably leave it to a new owner.
Maybe me?
It's been about a month now. I stood in the big M, then in the little D. I tried a lot. Everything was there. But only a few scent strips remained in my hand. One of them was L'Homme. I had to test it on my skin. Besides three other scents I left the city centre. The nose constantly swayed from one wrist/arm to the other.
One thing I stuck with, though. He smelled manly. But tender at the same time. A soapy freshness that captivated me. "I'm going to order that one! It suits me," I thought that evening. Still under the spell of the first two hours, I was sure to place an order the next day. But it didn't come to that.
Where are you going? After another two hours, I didn't even smell him. Pity. I won't buy a perfume without endurance! The chapter was closed for the time being.
Time has passed and it drove me back to the big M. Today remained until only about 15-20 minutes. "Hmm, I've seen that before... Boring... Everyone smells like that... Doesn't suit me..." I decided to go back to the YSL shelf. L'Homme should get another chance And there he was again! Could it be me? "But it won't last long!" said my inner voice of reason. "Take him," said the other me.
Pause for thought outdoors.
The decision was already made a month ago.
I didn't want to wait A short time later he was sitting in the side compartment of my car Have I found myself? Maybe

no longer relevant
I got YSL's L'Homme a while back and it never caught me, I never got into the hype and couldn't really understand its reputation I mean, yeah, it's nice, it's a nice, clean and gentlemanly fragrance but that's as far as I'd go.

Usually when I wear frags the first 2 or 3 times I get awful performance and it's after that when they start to work on my skin (don't know the reason or if this is the same for everyone) but somehow after a year owning and wearing this one I still get 4 hours, perhaps 5 if I spray heavily but that last is barely skin scent.

I'm not here to try to convince anyone, I like the scent and I understand the legacy of this fragrance however it's heyday seems to be far behind. Perhaps reformulations killed L'Homme perhaps it was the release of flankers like L'Homme Ultime which is far better smelling and performs way better (7-8 hours) that made this one obsolete
The Faded Beauty
There was a time when L'Homme was "The" spring/summer scent!

The spicy top note with ginger paired with the floral notes were magical and appealing. Without a doubt, this scent from back then had potential for the summer Signature. The fragrance I'm reporting about here dates back several years. My last full bottle, I emptied in 2015.

Lapsed by nostalgia, I made another attempt this year. To be on the safe side, I first bought a 40ml bottle. As it should turn out later, it was the right decision!

When the package arrived, directly unpacked the scent. Bottle did not seem to
to have really changed. But the smell does! The opening of the fragrance with the spicy ginger note was no longer so filigree and much more pungent, in the heart note the floral note was different in certain nuances than back then. All in all, it tends to look more spicy and not as balanced to me. The whole thing extends to the base. It has to be said that as a carrier of this fragrance you don't get anything from the drydown for long. The scent has a very weak durability of max. 4 hours and a quasi non-existent Sillage. If you want to be noticed at all, you have to apply at least 5-6 spray strokes. It is best to spray about 3 of them on your clothes.

Now I ask myself, of course, do I remember it better than it really is, or has it been watered down or reformulated here? But I clearly suspect the latter, because the old bottles had a better shelf life and stronger sillage (especially the bottles before 2012).

I would really like to know when something was changed here. Anyway, I do not recognize my old YSL L'Homme. For me definitely not a candidate for purchase anymore!
Care is everything
Freshly showered I come out of the gym, walk to my car and put my bag in the trunk. In anticipation of a tasty steak in my favourite restaurant I slowly roll off the parking lot.
...
My alarm clock rings at 6:00. I look out of the window and am greeted by a bright blue sky, the mood builds accordingly. Freshly showered and in a good mood I get into my car and drive to work.
------------------------------------------------
L'Homme from YSL is a really fresh, slightly spicy fragrance. In my opinion, it radiates only one thing, and that is care. It smells like freshly showered and therefore fits for me in many everyday situations. Whether I'm at sports, shopping or just driving to work, if I don't know what to wear, it's usually this fragrance. I think it fits perfectly into the summer and since I have no reason to pull an excessively strong silage behind me, the light scent doesn't bother me. Also the durability can be seen with 6-7 hours, whereas in the last 2 hours it is probably only perceptible for me.

For every gentleman who is looking for a companion for everyday events and simply wants to smell fresh, this fragrance might be the right one.
L'Homme (Eau de Toilette), a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men
Yes, just copy and paste the title, that's fine, had a few too many wines yesterday, I'm not very creative today. Nevertheless, a comment on Sunday can't hurt
It is supposed to be fresh and spicy, but where are the spices or even vetiver? Mmm, difficult. For me, this here seems like a typically pleasing and very tamed designer fragrance, which lives from its uncomplicated and citric opening. The pyramid is more of a placeholder than a map for my fragrance journey.

After just over an hour, the fragrance in its current formulation is already able to breathe
the drydown, again typical for designers, leaves a generic impression on my skin. Here I am not able to detect any specific notes, at most I can guess a little bit of cedar wood paired with a freshness that shows remnants of the vanishing cirtric. For me quite unexciting.

I can imagine that the so good ratings here can be attributed to the pleasing ginger note, which makes the fragrance in combination with the bergamot in the entertaining opening quite attractive. It's just a pity that the fragrance lives from its top note in the end, because on my skin this beauty is already running out of breath after 3-4 hours. It is then very close to the skin and leaves a rather trivial finish.

Whether the fragrance has been reformulated over all these years, I don't know. I'm not even interested, batch discussions have become a red rag to me, after all, we can't change anything about it anyway. Either we take the fragrances as they are offered to us today, or we leave it.

In summary, this YSL here is not worth 8.1 of 10 points for me, at least not anymore. A good, solid scent for everyday use, which doesn't offend anywhere and with its beautiful ginger note is pleasing to the wearer and the environment. The poor durability and the generic base note, however, cloud the wearing fun a bit.
JB89
Favorite scents don't need a "10"
L'Homme is now almost a classic of the house!
In 2013 I had got to know this beautiful fragrance by chance through a colleague at that time. He raved about the cylindrical flacons with beautiful lids...
At that time, there was not yet the mass of flanks, so the black bottle La Nuit de L'Homme was also tested, which I found "quite okay" :)
(Only afterwards did I become aware of all the hype about La Nuit)

Nevertheless, I had almost always liked the more classic L'Homme with its citric-spicy freshness better than the darker competitor.
Both were invitingly sweet, but the composition of L'Homme was more reminiscent of another very popular fragrance of mine: Boss Bottled
For a Bottled fan the victory was clear, oh if the fragrances are not twins!

Both fragrances of the house, L'Homme and La Nuit de L'Homme had been equipped with such a great quality and so finely tuned to each other that I decided to buy both.
What great scents of the 2013 batches, which opened up completely new scent experiences for me!
YSL L'Homme immediately became the new signature scent and was quite well received, but I personally liked it best! I was amazed how versatile this fragrance was, as it was able to combine the balance between sweetness and freshness so well that it was a real eye-catcher even in summer at over 30 degrees!
Today I would definitely choose something fresher ;-)

The fragrance still reminds me of that wonderful carefree time, unbelievable what perfumes can do in our heads...

Of course I had used up the 2013 bottles and the current batches are no longer interesting enough for me. Of course I soon stamped this one as a linear sweet tonka scent. And of course the search for similarly great scents had to continue!
So why the hell do I still rate this scent so highly today?

Quite simply, I've noticed how I've been going in circles over the years. And I don't mean that in a negative way!

When I only smell the bottle today, he still brings a smile to my lips! This may sound a bit corny, but that is a fact I can admit to myself today.
Even today, thanks to this great community, I was able to refund a Btach from 2013, at a fair price!
Even today I still enjoy this wonderful fragrance, whose description here would be almost unnecessary...

If I were to think of my "Top 10" fragrances today, I would almost always think of the same fragrances as when I started with perfume.
So I can't help but love that smell!

I hope that I can keep my interest in these, in the great offshoots -La Nuit de L'Homme- and of course in the classic -Opium pour Homme EdP- , and that these fragrances will accompany me for many years to come...

I am of course aware that many fragrances that can show more scent changes and more depth are also to be found in the niche world!
However, I am also aware that my favourite fragrances do not need a "10 out of 10"...
...at least not yet! :)

Thanks for reading!

The Classy One that Disappears
YSL's L'Homme begins as the classy, gentlemanly scent, but after announcing its presence, it quits the scene. Its projection on me is usually short, but when it does last, it's barely there. It's like someone showed up with a bang, sat down, and melted into the furniture.

It begins with a vibrant pear smell, and then hits an aromatic sandalwood sort of smell. This is much like Michael by Michael Kors with a little bit of the baby oil undertow, but not enough to be obnoxious. It is gentlemanly without being old-fashioned (in a bad way); it is modern and urban. I can smell it around me.

Next it hits a fresh/synthetic smell, not unpleasant that, then gets into warm, clean cotton smell and the projection amps up to 6". By the next hour or so the projection dies down and it becomes this vaguely oily-just-oily-enough musky/soapy smell that is quite nice. I 'm beginning to miss the projection at this point.

When it does last, it's a skin scent after hour four, which is disappointing and makes L'Homme just not usable for me. L'Homme Le Parfum, here I come.
Fresh, comfortable everyday fragrance
From the l'homme series of YSL I knew until now actually only La nuit de l'homme in all species.
La nuit de l'homme bored me slowly. Somehow I couldn't get used to the smell anymore. I liked the 1st version years ago, but when I bought a second bottle, I passed it on almost completely. I wanted something fresh, not too cuddly, something easy for everyday life.
In the local department store the Christmas display observed and from l'homme a good portion on the forearm taken I went after a city stroll again home. The scent never let me go.

For someone who is looking for something fresh for everyday life, who doesn't want to attract too much attention but wants to be well received by most people, I can recommend l'homme from YSL. The fragrance starts off fresh with a round citrus accent, but not too strong like eau sauvage or the like. He looks like, "Attention, warm lemon cake. The violet aroma then brings in a lovely sweetness and the tonka bean in the base the appropriate warmth. What particularly pleases me here is that (white) musk has been dispensed with. This makes the fragrance certainly not less sweet-round, but definitely lighter. The wort is also easy to smell. But it can be clearly seen with focus on it.

I have to say something important about the shelf life. Please spray the scent on the clothes (I was advised to do the same here). With me on the skin the water flies ultra fast. So after an hour, there's nothing left to be done here. On my shirt again the scent performs loosely 4 hours, from the 5th it collapses.

Sillage's fine. Honestly I don't expect a big, long Sillage from this fragrance, because especially for warm seasons where you like a short freshness kick, the fragrance should stay close instead of "bothering" others who already have to do with the warmth. But if you're close by, you'll like the scent immediately and I've already received many compliments. Crowdpleaser like it says in the book.

The bottle's fine. The rather large closure looks a bit more valuable with la nuit de l'homme. It seems to me that this one recognizes the "plastic" rather. It also looks lighter than that of la nuit de l'homme. The size of the bottle (no matter how many ml) means that it is always in good hands. Especially important for me, because I don't like it when I have to take both hands when spraying or when there is the risk to drop it because of the haptics. Under the spray head hides a nipple, because I did not know yet. It is (I think) not Travalo compatible or just bad.

Thanks for your attention. If you want to know something else, write me a comment or a message.

Best regards

RisendyRisendy 5 months ago
Very nice citrus ginger combination in the opening, after a while it becomes more flowery. Really subtle with low projection, a bit feminine
DemeteraDemetera 5 months ago
Smells great and fresh, got a lovely character from the ginger note, useable as a daily/signature/office scent. Also has a goodguy vibe.
GreMuserGreMuser 6 months ago
The perfect signature scent, smells just amazing, need to overspray and, actually, for the price it's a shame.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 6 months ago
Fresh, sweet and smooth. Sadly, the citruses don't last long. The violet is well blended with the cedarwood. The performance is not good.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 6 months ago
Mr versatile. A great masculine spicy woody scent. Lots of ginger, violets, a little bit of coumarin and woods. Great signature scent!
AithanAithan 7 months ago
Slightly sweet opening. Inviting and pleasant woody spicy drydown.
Below avg sillage. Last 7hrs+ as skin scent.
GolcherGolcher 8 months ago
This one is nice but it was made completely obsolete by L'Homme Ultime which is far better in every sense
Carlitos01Carlitos01 1 year ago
Fresh, spicy and just a bit sweet as some after-shave. Helas the violet note just puts it off my track. Otherwise a very acceptable perfume.
YosYos 3 years ago
Way overhyped. Poor performance and meh smell. La nuit and its flankers smell better.
PMRP12PMRP12 4 years ago
The gateway to my fragrance obsession. Universally appealing and appropriate for all seasons and occasions. Performance is disappointing.

by DellingerDdC
by Pepper81
by Pepper81
Der 40ML Flakon

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent