L'Homme (2006)Eau de Toilette

L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent

L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2006. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Ginger, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBasil, Spices, Violet, White pepper
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, Vetiver, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 04.01.2020.

5.0 6.0 8.0 7.0/10

Fresh, comfortable everyday fragrance
From the l'homme series of YSL I knew until now actually only La nuit de l'homme in all species.
La nuit de l'homme bored me slowly. Somehow I couldn't get used to the smell anymore. I liked the 1st version years ago, but when I bought a second bottle, I passed it on almost completely. I wanted something fresh, not too cuddly, something easy for everyday life.
In the local department store the Christmas display observed and from l'homme a good portion on the forearm taken I went after a city stroll again home. The scent never let me go.

For someone who is looking for something fresh for everyday life, who doesn't want to attract too much attention but wants to be well received by most people, I can recommend l'homme from YSL. The fragrance starts off fresh with a round citrus accent, but not too strong like eau sauvage or the like. He looks like, "Attention, warm lemon cake. The violet aroma then brings in a lovely sweetness and the tonka bean in the base the appropriate warmth. What particularly pleases me here is that (white) musk has been dispensed with. This makes the fragrance certainly not less sweet-round, but definitely lighter. The wort is also easy to smell. But it can be clearly seen with focus on it.

I have to say something important about the shelf life. Please spray the scent on the clothes (I was advised to do the same here). With me on the skin the water flies ultra fast. So after an hour, there's nothing left to be done here. On my shirt again the scent performs loosely 4 hours, from the 5th it collapses.

Sillage's fine. Honestly I don't expect a big, long Sillage from this fragrance, because especially for warm seasons where you like a short freshness kick, the fragrance should stay close instead of "bothering" others who already have to do with the warmth. But if you're close by, you'll like the scent immediately and I've already received many compliments. Crowdpleaser like it says in the book.

The bottle's fine. The rather large closure looks a bit more valuable with la nuit de l'homme. It seems to me that this one recognizes the "plastic" rather. It also looks lighter than that of la nuit de l'homme. The size of the bottle (no matter how many ml) means that it is always in good hands. Especially important for me, because I don't like it when I have to take both hands when spraying or when there is the risk to drop it because of the haptics. Under the spray head hides a nipple, because I did not know yet. It is (I think) not Travalo compatible or just bad.

Thanks for your attention. If you want to know something else, write me a comment or a message.

Best regards
10.0 6.0 8.0 9.0/10

Basti87
A great start of a great big series
L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent was on my watch list for many years and after a short fleeting test also on my wish list. After ages he made it into my collection, even if only as a 40ml bottle for the time being. Maybe a bigger bottle will be added, because you can get 200ml for a very fair price.
This fragrance was the starting shot for a Flanker invasion, including the sub-series La Nuit de L'Homme. This fragrance steals the show from L'Homme, of course. The type, however, is very different, since they are rather day and night scents. I can recommend many of these series and I own some of them. In the L'Homme series it's L'Homme Ultime and the winter L'Homme Intense. In the La Nuit series the original, Frozen Cologne and L'Intense. Great fragrances, which I like to have in my collection. Some flankers wouldn't necessarily have needed it, but you can filter them out and test them. Some will certainly follow in the future.

I like the bottles very much and they are almost cult. This fragrance is available in 40ml,60ml,100ml and even 200ml, all of which are available at fair prices when viewed online.
From the smell for me an absolute Immergeher. A year-round fragrance that hardly anyone will not like and which is rightly valued so highly here. It is simply pleasant from the first to the last moment. The world-famous La Nuit DNA is clearly visible, but here of course much more suitable for everyday use, fresher and more classic. This balanced fresh spice with slightly sweet accents is simply convincing. The start convinces with a lot of ginger. Sounds boring, but for me it's a great aromatic note. Here in a combination with citric freshness. Many spices follow, but they are not too strong. Violets also round it off well. They hold this creation gently and make it almost unisex. Tonka is also active almost the whole way and gives it a great sweetness, which is not in the foreground. This scent does not become really angular and angular, but sometimes I don't feel like it at all.
The performance is good, even if you could see something else from the statements. The shelf life of approx. 10 hours is quite good, but the Sillage gets closer to the skin faster. The first hours he still weakens well, but is still in the frame.

In the statements some speak of boring. I don't see it that way. I feel it modern and absolutely wearable for any occasion. Since it has few corners and edges one should not select this if one has urge from the row to dance. Also not suitable for nightlife, as it is too weak in the Sillage. But for me it's one of the best everyday scents, because it won't find many enemies. Also good for leisure and sports activities.

All in all an absolutely safe fragrance, which gets along well here
8.0 5.0 6.0 8.5/10

faithful companion
My next comment here is dedicated to my signature scent. L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent together with his nocturnal brother he is of course already well known here.

I'm not sure exactly when it appeared on the market, but it's not that important. According to this, it's been around for 13 years. I have known him for at least 10 years, whereby he became my signature scent since the first nose. I discovered it by accident in a perfumery. During this time I have already emptied some bottles of it.

He convinced me from start to finish. Works for me in practically any situation. Day or night. Summer to winter. I've never gotten negative feedback for him before. Every ex-girlfriend knows me with this scent. Yeah, I think it's my signature scent. Because although I bought some new perfumes in the last 1.5 years (there are not very many but a few new ones), I still want to have them in my collection and buy a bottle if it is empty. I feel like I'm missing something else. I have worn it in sales, in the office, in the club, on holidays, with jeans, in a suit, with the would-be parents-in-law ;) it always goes! He's never been disgusted.

It starts with a really unbelievably brilliant spiciness. There must be fresher scents. Certainly there are also fragrances that work more naturally in their freshness. But they're not L'Homme. :)
Already short time a spiciness is added creepingly. Spicy? Fresh? What is it now? The answer is harmony! The spiciness does not drown out the freshness but makes you even better in my perception. The perfume remains fresh with a spicy note that harmonizes perfectly with the top note. I must admit, I like head and heart notes best at L'Homme. Of course, I like him on base, too. Light sweetness and sensuality come into play with tonka bean and cedar wood. He changes easily again, but keeps his DNA.

Unfortunately, he's changed too. Both light in fragrance and performance. I dare say that I have the competence to say this.
He's lost harmony in the fragrance. I think it's the weaker composition of the scents. The transition is more so fluid. His actual DNA is no longer so strongly perceptible after the dry-down. Which I find incredibly unfortunate. As a result, shelf life and Sillage have also become weaker. I dare to say that after 5h he is now really only perceived very closely. But since I have known and used it for such a long time, this can only be my subjective perception.

There was also a change in the bottle. Instead of the former metal lid, a plastic replacement has been used for several years. In form and appearance however still identical. Simple and elegant.

I find it overpriced in the meantime and therefore always buy it at promotions. I still love him! It's just my signature scent. :)
8.0 6.0 5.0 9.0/10

the good guy
What can I say? L'Homme has done a lot to me. I've had La Nuit de l'homme in my collection for quite some time now and have been diligently working with it, wondering for months if L'Homme would make any sense at all. When I made you an offer, I hit it after all.
You know these BadBoy scents, these polarizing, mostly sweet and extremely captivating scents, which convey to a woman that you are playful, a daredevil and that you get what you want.
Well, l'Homme ain't no BadBoy scent. He's the good guy among fragrances. He is the one you want to marry later, who simply meets every criterion and for whom you wouldn't doubt at any second that he was the wrong choice or that he doesn't do you any good. The wearer of L'Homme comes so clean that there couldn't be a more perfect day fragrance. No clean like Prada l'homme, but a clean in a seductive and attractive way. Romantic, slightly sweet, slightly spicy, sensual.
This perfume fits perfectly in spring, summer and early autumn to a chic outfit, best to a white t-shirt or even better a white shirt. As seductive and yet inconspicuous as La Nuit de l'homme is in the evening, so L'Homme is during the day - it is the perfect complement.

L'Homme would certainly also pass as an office fragrance and not step on anyone's tie, quite the opposite - but he would be a bit too sensual & romantic for me. For me it is the perfect date perfume for a spring walk, a visit to the ice cream parlour at the Italian's in summer, a ride on a pedal boat on a small lake, a picnic on a meadow in the morning in late summer.

The durability is mediocre, also Sillage and projection could be better, however this smell should let come closer to you and not already from 5 meters one killed - from there: forgiven.
I received especially from the women so far only excellent compliments, for the one or other man he might not be the right one, because he could be worn in my opinion also easily as unisex scent.
For me personally, it definitely has a very firm place in my collection and will definitely be bought again, because it could definitely not be topped in its field of application
10.0 4.0 7.0 10.0/10

I stopped listening to Jeremy
Honestly, what are some people actually presuming to do?! To explain a fragrance simply for ´´veraltet´´ because there is scrap like ´´Dior Sauvage´´ ?! I liked Jeremy very much, but when he said that, I just couldn't take him seriously anymore.

´´L´Homme´´´ is the so far only warm weather scent that I like 1.) and 2.) works on my skin.
In the top note, I get the most pleasant ginger I have ever smelt. The ginger harmonizes wonderfully with the bergamot, which makes the top note so incredibly delicious. Ginger and bergamot remain, but the spicy notes naturally come out more clearly, until I have a modern vetiver tone in the base, which smells sweetish.

I have worn the fragrance throughout the summer and am completely satisfied with it. I've received a lot of compliments and it lasts a good seven hours on my skin, while the first 1.5 hours have plenty of power. In the evening I put on ´´La Nuit de L´Homme´´, which also works wonderfully.

So people, if you want to have a horny, modern summer scent, I can highly recommend it :)
8.0 6.0 7.0 7.5/10

Farneon
Dear gentlemen and WOMEN! :-)
Well, what should I think of YSL L'Homme personally? I own this scent, but I practically never wear it! It plays rather in the upper price range and every time I think to myself: "Noble is the scent, helpful and good!" ;-) But is it also as stated fresh-spicy, which is my preferred composition? There's a clear NO from me here!

Something seems to bother me about this EDT, and the crux of the matter is: I can't even say exactly what! There would be one of the numerous Flanker perhaps ideal for me, but the experience shows: The sports version would probably be too lax for me, the night version too sweet and I want to do without everything else if I already have a problem with the original!

It is actually less a problem of liking, however, but concerns rather the type question. I have now thought for a long time back and forth about how I should best express this, and have come to the following, possibly "amateurish" result: YSL L'Homme is actually too feminine for me! It has a flowery-powdery note in my nose, which I would rather smell at my lady of the heart than at myself!

YSL L'Homme is not powerful or striking, but rather balsamic, a little bit relaxed, a kind of "yoga mat fragrance" for the softie among men (not bad' meant). Although well balanced and of high quality, it will probably only be used very rarely by me ... What a shame!
7.0 3.0 3.0 9.0/10

very pleasant, inoffensive fragrance
If you're meeting your new girlfriend's parents for the first time, this is the perfect fragrance!

Smells very pleasantly spicy, you can smell the light ginger note in any case. Perfect for indoors to chill/cuddle/netflixen. Only the performance leaves something to be desired.
7.0 6.0 6.0 6.0/10

Mainstream Blockbuster
Scentrack
The Killers – When You Were Young

L’Homme is an easy, likeable fragrance. It is clean, positive, light and inoffensive. L’Homme is a compliment getter from the opposite sex.
It opens with bright citruses, peppery ginger and to my nose unidentified spices. To me L’Homme has some chamomile tea soft vibe. On my skin cedar becomes very soon the main player. Very pale vetiver note lays beneath a clean cedar and musk. Tonka bean gives just a touch of sweetness, but I have to admit I couldn’t recognize it without a help of Fragrantica’s note breakdown.
The whole composition is extremely well balanced and tweaked. A lot of work is spent to make so approachable. Some may say is too simple and boring, but I consider L’Homme as a great example of a mainstream blockbuster and financial success.

Rating: 6/10

More on Scentimentalwords
6.0 2.0 4.0 3.5/10

fresh and cool ginger
it have a very fresh and nice opening note of ginger and lemon and suitable for spring season but unfortunately sillage is very soft and longevity is very weak .......

Bro-meh!
I can’t say I hate this, but this is surely the duller and blander YSL fragrance for men I’ve ever tried, together with the other couple of flankers they made out of this. It isn’t bad, the quality seems to me mildly good, and if you’re looking for a safe unpretentious gift for a non-fan of fragrances to wear all day long, all year round, this would be a nice choice with a decent price for the value. It’s a fresh, unobtrusive ginger-citrus-woody fragrance playing some aromatic fougère chords but with a decided “younger” vibe, focusing on sweet woods and spices (Envy for Men), and fresh-aromatic notes, with a conventional note of soft violet. Mellow and polished, sweet and boringly fresh, kind of “young” and if I got the term correctly, kind of “bro” too – the smoky-fruity sweetness, the extreme linearity, the overall dullness (but maybe bros need bombs? This isn’t, just in case). Miles away from what once was a mature and classy brand delivering delightful fragrances like M7 or Rive Gauche, they seem now more aimed at 20-something in need of boosting their sex agendas. Not bad as I said, but nothing really special.

6/10
7.5 2.5 5.0 5.0/10

Weak but good
L'homme is a great option for office and summer days. Actually it goes well on every occasion.

I like its ginger note combined with the sweetness of tonka bean in the base.

Do not expect something extraordinary, but just a good scent for every day.

Sillage, projection and lasting power are below average.

Updated January 2014
2.5 7.5 5.0 3.0/10

Drseid
OK, Even A Genius Like Ropion Can Have One Fail And This One Is It...
I can't stand this stuff. It is so generic, artificial and strong that I immediately want to get it off my skin. I get a faux citrus mixed with tonka beans and artificial ginger as a supporting note. It all comes together poorly and unwearable for me, at least. Ropion is extraordinarily talented, but this scent is not worthy of his name. I know L'Homme has a great reputation with the ladies, but I don't know what they see in it. Disgusting! On the positive side (I suppose), it has relatively good projection and unlike many other reviewers, longevity is at least average on my skin. Believe me when I say I wish that were not the case. Two tremendous thumbs down on this one. 1.5 stars out of 5.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Sexual and smooth
From what I've heard and observed, L'Homme has many female fans. I'm a definite fan, L'Homme makes a lovely, refreshingly spicy scent, with all the allure and appeal that makes it decidingly popular.

Woodsy, spicy and crisp sums up the whole composition in three simple words. This fragrance seems to suit any man of any age, regardless of the occasion or personality. Versatile enough to be worn casually, classically or to a strict suit and tie event.

The delicious spiciness was what immediately intrigued me when I first smelt L'Homme. I was not surprised when the sales assistant piped in with such praise with how popular this fragrance is as a present for lovers, family and friends.

I can distinguish an odd, tasty orange note, that seems to be neither the lemon nor the bergamot. Personally, this is what I feel makes this fragrance so amazing. I could smell this fragrance forever, just cuddle up to its wearer and relish in its woodsiness and deliciousness.

Some mention an aquatic type quality, and I slightly agree, even though it's not so noticeable that it drives the scent. I'm not so certain as to what makes this fragrance so sexy, but there is no contention as to its obvious sexual appeal.

The sillage and lasting power is excellent, lasting for what seems like forever and a day. There is absolutely nothing else to say. I highly recommend.

Yos 20 months ago
Way overhyped. Poor performance and meh smell. La nuit and its flankers smell better.+1
5.0
PMRP12 3 years ago
The gateway to my fragrance obsession. Universally appealing and appropriate for all seasons and occasions. Performance is disappointing.+1
6.0
10.0
Elysium 4 years ago
Albeit the opening is like the best promise, with the pungent and fresh-spicy smell ginger's smell, though it fades away so quickly, too bad!+3
5.0

by AsgardHD
by AsgardHD
Der 40ML Flakon

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Kouros (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Body Kouros (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Paris (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Y (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme L'Intense by Yves Saint Laurent Belle d'Opium (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent Parisienne (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent