La Nuit de L'Homme (2019) Eau de Parfum

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Parfum) is a new perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2019. The scent is synthetic-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesClary sage, Lavender absolute
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Patchouli, Vetiver

Submitted by Jazzbob, last update on 21.05.2019

8.0 6.0 8.0 6.5/10

Watt, who are you?
Watt, who the fuck are you?
A new La Nuit perfume!

In any case a hot test candidate, I thought to myself, since I appreciate the original La Nuit EdT and also the Frozen Cologne so much. At this point many thanks dear Lenni for the bottling! : )

To be honest, I didn't (like some of you here) assume that YSL wanted to launch the original version of the EdT disguised as "perfume". Why should I? Was there ever an official statement and simultaneous concession from YSL in the sense of "Yes, we reformulated the EdT to death and watered it down..."? I'm not aware of any such thing. Therefore it wouldn't make any sense at all to have the perfume now in the assortment as a "better" variant of the EdT, especially since the EdT is still available.
Accordingly, I will evaluate the EdP as an independent fragrance, but of course I will draw a comparison to the EdT.

The first sprays land on a piece of paper to get a first impression. It hardly smells like the scent of EdT, a little fruity, a little sweet, and a note that is remotely similar to Tom Ford's Ombre Leather. But there's no leather, is there? All right, let's see how the scent makes itself felt on the skin.

The fragrance starts with a mild freshness and a fruity, somewhat indefinable blend that reminds a little of Rasasi Hawas. According to the fragrance pyramid, grapefruit should be used here - well, I usually know them from other fragrances. With a little imagination you could smell a very mild and highly sugared grapefruit - to me it looks more like a mandarin with a hint of Hawas "melon".

While I am still thinking about how I could classify the citric notes best, they are almost gone again. After 5 minutes, similarities to the original EdT become visible in the drydown, albeit darker and in a contemporary style with a certain "bubblegum" impact (Hallo Code Profumo!). Associations with shower gel fragrances cannot be completely dismissed here either, although the ambroxan that is currently so widely used cannot be seen here. Whew!

In comparison, the EdT (here the 2014 Collector's Edition) starts much brighter, more lively, fresher with a nice lively (!) bergamot. The drydown of the EdT after 5 to 10 minutes simply makes the EdP look old in direct comparison. Here you can smell the cardamom paired with the lavender, and this unique La Nuit DNA that so many perfume lovers have fallen for. Yes, I'm one of them! : )

Well, the EdP is a different fragrance and maybe I like it in its own way. The attentive reader will notice at this point that I have a bit of a quarrel with myself about finding the EdP really good.

Is the EdP simply a "spicier" variant of the EdT? Clearly no, the EdT has more pepper, more wood, smells more "open", while the EdP after half an hour begins to collapse as a fragrance and smell more and more like a somewhat diffuse "porridge" from what it wants to be. It is noteworthy here that both fragrances have even greater similarity at the time directly smelled on the skin than in the Sillage.

Anyone who has hoped to get a fragrance like the older EdT including its effect on other people will be disappointed here. Of course I don't mean that at the EdT usually all ladies of this earth languish languishing whether their panties drop, no no - but you can hardly deny that the original is a quite popular fragrance and not only for the wearer himself. The EdP simply smells different in the Sillage and has just in this nothing, but also really nothing of the "magic" of the EdTs. Likewise, I would not claim that the projection of the EdP is stronger than that of the EdT.

In the further process the EdP becomes more and more musty (that was probably the "leather" on the paper test), while the EdT has preserved a good degree of lively liveliness including the citric notes even after 3 hours of smelling very close, which can blossom again and be sent into the world at any time, if the wearer starts to sweat a little, which is simply no longer possible with the EdP in the form. Also the lavender is clearly recognizable in the EdT, while in the EdP it becomes more and more abstract and is overshadowed more and more by a sweetish cardboard base, which has to accept the reproach of a certain "synthetics" in the negative sense rightly. Unfortunately, this construct also tends to "eat" something into the skin and to outlast the actual scent, even if it has already vanished, for a few hours. Fortunately, we are not quite dealing here with the olfactory charm of an industrial adhesive, as is so often the case with other fragrances. Nevertheless, I can't really say much for this slightly scratchy and oddly enough buttery base anymore, which also applies to the EdP as a whole from the 4th hour on.

What happened to sandalwood, patchouli and vetiver? Smells I all really like? They are probably all put into a mixer in the laboratory, chopped up and glued together in a way that is hardly recognizable. That's how it seems to me and the thought of "plastic" comes to mind. Too bad.

What remains to be said?

Compared to the new releases in the designer area the La Nuit perfume is not a bad fragrance, it is solidly made, offers a nice start and gives you at least for a short time after the start (max. 30 minutes) a little La Nuit feeling. For me, the perfume is at the same time a blender, one of those fragrances that are quickly sprayed on in the shop to please and be bought. I'm sure he'll succeed.

The EdP is not a worthy replacement or successor for the meanwhile unfortunately diluted EdT. It is another fragrance that in my opinion can absolutely not keep up with the EdT. With perfume, I would have liked to wash it off again after the 3rd hour, because I was a little annoyed by this base - but I completely like the EdT from the beginning to the last breath, which I can still sniff on the skin. That makes all the difference to me.

I strongly advise against a blind purchase in the hope of getting a fragrance like the old EdT, and would consider the La Nuit Eau Electrique as an alternative to perfume, which pursues the chosen, aspired path of wanting to be a potent La Nuit in a modern, youthful style more consistently and thus comes across more authentic, if you may say so about a perfume.
Otherwise, if I had the original La Nuit fragrance and didn't want to spend the money on a pre-2016 bottle, I'd buy a bottle from the current EdT rather than from the new perfume