The last time I checked the french semantics for "La Nuit de L'Homme Intense", it meant that it was something Man related, occurring at night and with quite some intensity and strength.
Probably YSL needs a lesson about semantics, as they choose a totally wrong name for this fragrance! Why? Because...
- It's quite subtle! It's not intense or strong.
- Smells like a versatile new scent... so not really a night fragrance and by no means even slightly related with the "La Nuit de L'Homme" scent and with its major strong cardamom note.
- It's a somewhat masculine fragrance due to the patchouli note but it really can be considered unisex as well. Without the patchouli note it would be undoubtedly a feminine fragrance.
I do consider this new YSL fragrance as nice and alluring. Actually I prefer this scent to what I get from "La Nuit de L'Homme". It's also pretty linear and subtle, but I do not see that as a defect in this type of perfume. From top to bottom you get:
- Some sweetness coming from a faint vanilla note and a strong tonka bean note.
- An omnipresent powdery floral accord with a vigorous iris and a more subtle violet note.
- A peppery subtle scent coming from sage.
- A darker, earthy, woody, but not strong vibe coming from patchouli.
It's a very simple fragrance but nevertheless very well blended and on a pair with other (sometimes faint) fragrances with a similar vibe like Dior Homme (Edt and Intense) and Dior Fahrenheit (Edt, Acqua and Absolut).
As far as performance is concerned you just get an average longevity (but better than in the current version of "La Nuit de L'Homme") and an under average sillage and projection (similar to the current version of "La Nuit de L'Homme"). Shame on YSL as they know the tricks to make boldier perfumes.
This perfume proves to be quite suitable for dating, work environment and as a daily "good for everything" fragrance due to its versatility.
How do I rate this "Le Jour du Couple" ("The Day of the Couple" instead of "The Night of the Man") ?
- Scent opening............8.5 (elegant and stylish)
- Scent Dry Down.........8.0 (similar to the opening but fainter)
- Longevity....................7.0 (up to 5~6 hours on my skin, with 2 initial sprays, but less with other types of skin)
- Sillage..........................6.0 (sillage peak up to an arm lenght; projection for 1 hour or less)
- Versatility....................9.0 (Just avoid extreme cold or heat)
- Usability......................9.0 (Unisex perfume; very good for almost all social situations, office, general use, dating and intimacy; don't use it in places where you may sweat like the gym or by the seaside)
- Compliments..............7.0 (it will get you just a few non enthusiastic compliments, but nobody will complain about your smell; on the other hand, it's perfect for intimacy)
- Uniqueness.................6.0 (some noticeable similarities with Dior Homme and Fahrenheit. That means that it is also similar with all of their more than 100 clones and look alikes; No similarity whatsoever with "La Nuit de L'Homme")
- Quality.........................8.5 (I rate it with an high mark because its linearity does not matter to me; It only matters its somewhat deceivable performance for an YSL perfume named with the "Intense tag")
- Presentation...............9.0 (gorgoeus flask, nice lettering, but same stupid light plastic cap)
- Price.............................5.5 (€59,00 for 100 ml non tester; you can do a lot better with this amount of money, like buying a 200ml YSL bottle of "L'Homme" or "La Nuit de L'Homme")
between 7 and 8 = above average; Are you sure you want to buy it?
between 8 and 9 = recommended;
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Opinion on "La Nuit de L'Homme L'Intense":
Unless you want a slightly different "Dior Homme" version and non gasoline smelling subtle "Fahrenheit", or if you intend to collect all the "La Nuit de L´Homme" official flankers.... You'd better spend your money elsewhere!
I like this perfume, but it is totally overpriced and does not cope with the expectations it creates on "La Nuit de L'Homme" lovers. Unfortunately I bought it blindly. :-(
Blind buy worthy? No!
Music: "Not For Me" by Slash.