Le Vestiaire - Splendid Wood 2014

Le Vestiaire - Splendid Wood by Yves Saint Laurent
8.0 / 10 126 Ratings
Le Vestiaire - Splendid Wood is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for women and men and was released in 2014. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top Notes FrankincenseFrankincense CardamomCardamom
Heart Notes Heart Notes Oriental woodsOriental woods Jasmine sambacJasmine sambac
Base Notes Base Notes NagarmothaNagarmotha CedarCedar OudOud

Perfumers

Submitted by Michael, last update on 16.12.2022.
The scent was initially part of the "Collection Orientale". In 2017, it was added to the "Le Vestiaire" collection.

2 in-depth fragrance descriptions

Unforgettable smell !
It is a fantastic fragrance.This is my first fragrance from the Yves Saint Laurent niche line. To my nose, the cedar smell is intensely felt, mostly with woody notes.
Splendid wood reminds me of being in a ponderose pine forest on a windy sunny day.
it feels like walking among jasmine flowers!

Definitely smells luxurious and special !
Top Review 13
The smell of pleasant luxury
Splendid Wood has long been on my list of the rare colorful unicorns I hunt for my little perfume-animal garden.
"Velours" was my first fragrance from the "Le Vestiaire" series, and has a fixed place in my collection. Velours really surprised me in a positive way, and made me want more.
It's so fine and good, made and goes the path of the powdery-sweet scents I like so much. :)

And then there's actually a perfume in the series that even contains cardamom - one of my absolute favourite fragrances!
It is also the main actor in my favourite perfume ever, La Nuit de L'Homme, which is also from YSL...! So just really a mandatory purchase and test, this Splendid Wood.

To the fragrance.
The first impression I had was, "That smells like velour." Then I thought about why, and I think it's the fine way in which YSL has woven the scents of this Nobel line.
Splendid Wood is so round and from a single mould - there is no better way to describe it. Like the shiny wooden floor of a luxury yacht, freshly embedded and pure.
Simply a solid piece of handwork, perfectly tuned and balanced.

Splendid Wood has nothing in common with velours in terms of notes, but what I noticed then - I notice a lasting leathery touch of this fragrance!
It is said to contain oud and wood, but what I like more is smooth, slightly sweet leather, with some smoke.
The smoke probably comes from the contained incense, but is so well melted into the overall composition that one has more the feeling it simply comes from the Oud.
This classic oud impression you know from M7 or Oud Wood is not so noticeable here, as a whole Splendid Wood reminds me more of Godolphin or Ombre Leather than anything else. Still independent and individual, but that is the association I got.
The cardamom is not "tingling" and anchored in the top note as in La Nuit de L'Homme, but radiates for me more from the heart of the fragrance, and has a rather smooth, round appearance.

Yes, it's smooth and round, that's how you can imagine Splendid Wood. Smooth, green-balsamic, slightly spicy, sweet leather.
For me at least, and I'm sure people who can isolate notes better, and are more at home in the oud spectrum than me, can decompose this scent more analytically.

But that's my impression, and that's what this is about.

In any case a pleasant, valuable smell, which I believe nobody will find badly. It has a very noble appearance, sometimes reminiscent of an expensive new car, or so.
Which also conveys a certain luxurious attitude to life, which you may not necessarily want to feel all the time.
But it can cheer you up on the days when you want exactly that.

For me it has earned a permanent place in my collection, and I will certainly enjoy it more often, especially in the cooler season. :)

For fans of leather or oud fragrances in any case a test recommendation. :) And I can only recommend the Le Vestiaire series to everyone anyway, I am really curious what is still to come here. ;)

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

5 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Babycat by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2002) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Libre Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2011) / M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent