Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo (2015)

Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent

Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesViolet leaf, Bergamot, Coriander seed
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose, Lily-of-the-valley, Black pepper
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Patchouli, Bourbon vanilla

Submitted by Estherica, last update on 11.06.2019

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Carlitos01
From sober and elegant to comfortable and sweet
I tried Tuxedo for the first time. Looking at its notes as well as for various written reviews, I have created an image on what should be the behavior of this perfume. After all, and fortunately, my practical impression turned out to be quite different from the theoretical one.
In the opening, the violet leaf is dominant and overlaps with any other note. For almost an hour this violet leaf remained unshaken. Not being particularly passionate about this note, and present in such a dictatorial way, I was later surprised by the strong evolution of the fragrance when between the bottom notes and the drydown, it presents me with a delicate accord of amber gray, patchouli and vanilla, without any trace of the violet leaf.
The violet note gives me different impressions depending on the fragrance where it is used. I just deslike the Fahrenheit family, and its peculiar smell of gasoline, with the exception of the rare Absolut. In contrast I greatly appreciate Narciso Rodriguez for Him and his facet of wet asphalt. The Tuxedo evokes these two perfumes, but without being able to affirm that they are very similar.
Performance is average, with a longevity of up to 7~8 hours, with a sillage of up to five feet, and less than 2 hours of projection (with three sprays on the back of the hand).
In my closet, this bottle will be parked among other YSL.
Can it be considered a masterpiece? I would answer with a "NO". The violet leaf is too poignant and enduring to please me, despite being very elegant and calling for a "Tucs".

How do I rate this Violet Leaf?
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Scent Opening:.........6,5
Scent Drydown:........9.5
Longevity:..................7.5 (above average)
Sillage:.......................7.5 (average)
Uniqueness:..............8.0 (not really far from other violet leaf fragrances)
Wearability:...............8.5 (Spring + Winter days + Fall + Summer nights)
Versatility:.................7.5 (night out; formal occasions)
Compliments:...........8.5 (a lot by Fahrenheit lovers and above average during the drydown)
Quality:......................9.5 (quality ingredients; excellent packaging and bottle sprayer)
Presentation:............8.5 (nice although very simple)
Price:..........................5.5 (75 ml Eau De Parfum - € 172,50)
Overall rating: 7.91/10.0
between 7 and 8 =above average;
between 8 and 9 = recommended;
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Opinion:
It may be your scent if you fancy dressing formal and like an heavy violet leaf note.
Recomemended?
No! Do try it before you buy it, if you want to risk paying such an high amount.

Music: Blondie - "Call Me" (American Gigolo soundtrack)
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

DufterMann
Tuxedo - a fragrance that lives up to its name
Foreword
I must confess that I no longer had great expectations of the Yves Saint Laurent brand. In recent years, in my opinion, the focus has been on flankers and mass-compatible, boring perfumes that have been planned down to the last detail and from which I could no longer derive anything. Until now I didn't know the Private Collection, but that was about to change. Through a lovely perfume I got a sample of velours and yesterday I had the chance to test Cuir and finally Tuxedo. The latter then wandered to a proud price in the shopping bag.

The fragrance, shelf life & Sillage
First of all: Le Vestiare(the wardrobe) Tuxedo lives up to its name as the headline already says. In my opinion his full potential will only be reached with the right outfit, which is certainly due to the prominent violet note at the beginning, which reminds me of a freshly ironed shirt like in Arsen Lupin Dandy. This is neatly underlaid with a britzelnden pepper note. A certain slightly fresh flower note also resonates. Bergamot and coriander, however, I do not perceive. Neither does the listed rose, which with its frequent soapy nature usually doesn't appeal to me either. Over time, the vanilla note also sparkles, giving the whole construct a certain sweetness without the fragrance drifting away. For me, the heart note is a triad of violets, vanilla and pepper, which is the main accompaniment to the perfume. The vanilla is also the base, patchouli & ambergris are rather discreet and give the whole thing no earthy but at best a slightly chocolaty, balsamic touch.
The Sillage is present in the first 2-3 hours, but not overloaded, as it belongs to a suitable occasion in the restaurant, or more sophisticated celebration. After that he gets pretty close, which doesn't have to be bad under the circumstances.
After 6-7 hours the spell is gone with me then.

The presentation
The bottle and the OVP are kept relatively simple. A lightly embossed cardboard, whereby the logo only seems to be glued on. The lid has a good grip due to the ribbing and closes very easily due to the magnet. The atomizer also does its job perfectly and distributes the amount evenly from a distance of 30 cm. Altogether the presentation for me is very solid, but also not outstanding.

Conclusion
Why the Tuxedo made it into my collection?
For me he radiates style and elegance, is never too loud but still present and violets seem to have become very rare in men's fragrances. In addition, the combination closes the gap in my collection which I would have liked to have closed with the Arsen Lupin Dandy. In my opinion it is definitely worth a test.
6.0 8.0 8.5/10

SteelerOpera
The moderate amount of hype is right
This is a very well done fragrance that would do well in any occasion. This frag is versatile and impressive all at the same time. It is expensive but worth giving a sniff. More information in my YouTube review.

9.0 9.0/10

It seems well tailored
This is some classy stuff! Somehow it manages to maintain a balance of both lite/fresh and spices.

It has body, yet not heavy, not feminine which I was afraid of even though it's name says otherwise.

I was afraid of finding patchouli and vanilla making it cloying but it is not.

A little goes a long way. This the kind of scent that adds confidence.

Carlitos01 6 days ago
The violet leaf is too poignant and enduring to please me despite being very elegant and asking for a "Tucs". The drydown is "pijama confy".+3