Le Vestiaire - Velours 2016

Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent
Le Vestiaire - Velours is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is leathery-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Carlos Benaïm

Top Notes Top NotesBlack tea, Black pepper, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Iris, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Ambered woods, Musk

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 19.10.2020.

GothGirlfriend vs
This fragrance from YSL is very exciting and has two faces for me - but first of all the description; ultra-powdery like slightly flowery, fine, rose-coloured blush of a high end cosmetic brand, at the same time soft and leathery and then develops into a dreamily woody, slightly sweet vanilla.
Now, this scent could be that edgy, quick-witted, hot goth teenager wearing torn fishnets with chunky platform boots and wearing an oversized 80s black suede jacket with lambskin lining to go with her short velvet dress, or the quirky old neighbour who lives at the end of the street in a stale attic flat, wears a little too much make-up and has three fluffy, coiffed dogs. Both of them I would like to be and both of them smell like YSL La Vestiaire Velours.

Now I have described two wonderful clichés of a US-American series or something similar, but this fragrance is really very special, I like it, exactly because of that.
Understatement in perfection
Sometimes it just clicks. These are moments that you don't plan for, they just happen.

Actually, most major brands in the fragrance assortment disappoint me at regular intervals. Sometimes there are surprises, but that is rather the rare case.
However, Yves is a brand that paints a good picture of itself and has a good standing in the market - both in the mainstream and in the niche.

Now it so happens that I have read many good things about the fragrance. When DaveGahan101 is so enthusiastic about a fragrance, it usually has both hands and feet. So I wanted to get my own enjoyment and see if the fragrance would meet my high expectations.
And what can I say: I am speechless and Dave rightly speaks of a dream smell.

Normally I link scents with experiences and smaller stories from my personal environment, but unfortunately I cannot provide a suitable situation here. What remains is to give the fragrance what it is: a truly great work, which is definitely one of the best fragrances I have ever come across. This is charisma, luxury and understatement.
This dry and powdery prelude definitely reminds one of a Dior, but is even more profound and flattering in its style. Soon black tea and iris blend in, adding further nuances to the fragrance and making it warm, smooth, complex.
In the further course of time the scent becomes a little sweeter. I assume the vanilla and musk had a hand in it. Little by little it fades away, but stays close and accompanies you all day long. Leather, a note that is permanently present and rather underlining, completes the fragrance to something that can only be described by the word perfection. I not only like to wear leather, but it is one of the top 3 notes I like most in a fragrance.
Velour has really done a good job with that Durability and sillage are in the upper third. Never intrusive, but still present.

In the end it remains to be said that this is or was a real masterpiece. Unfortunately, it is no longer available.
Pity, a big one who left the stage.
YSL still surprises me!
"... Sometimes you think you can't go any further, everything is already fixed and done, but then suddenly depths and views appear which you thought were unattainable and which now present themselves to the accumulated experience in all its fullness. I have often feared that I have dried out and broken and would stand hopelessly before the black curtain of boredom - but this curtain is often torn, and I have seen boundless horizons - which has brought me the greatest happiness, so I will put it, moments of true pride." - YSL

This life motto Yves Saint Laurents, which he announced in 1983 at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York for the opening of his exhibition there, sounds to my ears when I make the acquaintance with "Le Vestiaire - Velours".
Although the fragrance was composed long after the master's death, I still have the feeling that a curtain of fragrance boredom has shared with me here too.
Because the fragrances of this brand have not torn me from my stool for a long time - actually never really.
So I went a bit casual to test and was also punished promptly for it!

A delicate infusion of black teas, not too sparingly perfumed with black and pink pepper, welcomes me.
Oh, my! What does my sensitive nose say about her pepper allergy? Will she be able to handle it or sneeze for a long time as a punishment?
It's amazing: I can take this interesting blend, despite allergy, and enjoy this flavor!
The elegant iris is a few steps behind the beautiful, but also slightly dominant white large-flowered jasmine. What an unfolding of the abundance of flowers presents itself at this moment!
Frankincense, harmonizing wonderfully with the scents of the past, completes a very appealing scented painting for the senses.
Sour vanilla in full warm scent; woods, skilfully ambered and appropriate in this delightfully flowing course and a sympathetic dose of musk complete this fragrance in a refined way.
The result is a very fine hint of noble suede leather, which is well balanced in relation to the light flowers and does not necessarily seek the foreground.

For a not too big leather friend like me, this is a very pleasant smell!
Which is a real pleasure with a shelf life of several hours.
How often have I tried after a certain time almost desperately to wash off a leather note suddenly annoying me and have failed due to the extraordinary durability!
This time I feel this elegant fragrance creation as a soft embrace that invites you to cuddle!

A YSL fragrance, even if it comes from a time long after the eventful life of the great magician, who I really like: I'm amazed and thrilled!
Nuriyel
Smoky noble leather with flowers
I love leather perfumes. From strong to light, dark black SM cashmere leather whips to the light leather interior of a new car. La Vestiaire Velours is a stylish middle thing here. Far away from an animal beast, but more refined than new, clean leather seats and handbags, as with Bottega Veneta.

The suede scent of a theatre wardrobe on a premiere evening, that's how I imagine the setting of La Vestiaire Velours. Many well-groomed suede jackets, slightly rough and velvety, slightly smoky in the nose, but cool because their wearers have been looking at the new interpretation of "Waiting for Godot" for half an hour. In addition there are very present iris and jasmine from well perfumed women's coats, which lends the whole elegance. Apparently one or the other theatre guest has his joy in orthodox masses, only therefore the incense breath can come in the small room. In the end everything is warmly rounded off by a musky note that reminds me of the scent of skin with its vanilla loveliness, skin that slips back into the expensive jackets after the premiere and warms itself into hers, just as I feel in this scent,

I had heard it as a sample, because I had given leather as my favourite note in an online shop. All the more irritated I was from the fragrance pyramid of this fragrance and had no great expectations of him. Now he's one of my new favorite leather darlings, but the cultured kind. It is quite intense and engaging on me, but I also wear it during the day because it doesn't bother me. Sillage and durability impress me, after about 7 hours it was, what I do not know from such flowery scents, still well perceptible. I am really in love with my theatre wardrobe and can only recommend it if leather is your open or secret passion, but you don't want to frighten anyone with it.

by Sweetsmell75
by Lucy55
by Quercus
by Quercus

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent