Live Jazz 1998Eau de Toilette

Live Jazz (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Live Jazz (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 1998. The scent is fresh-citrusy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Pierre Bourdon

Top Notes Top NotesBitter lemon, Mint, Grapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesCoriander, Reed, Rhubarb leaf
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Vanilla, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 04.08.2020.

The perfect transition
I wonder why "Live Jazz" was discontinued.
I wonder why "Live Jazz" was not reissued and revived.
I wonder why more people don't celebrate him, know him, have him in their collection.
I wonder why YSL can't handle it today.
I wonder how (despite "year of construction" '98) one can slide so cool on the threshold between 80s and 90s I wonder why this minty refreshment doesn't have more fans.
I wonder why you can hardly see such a smooth glare today.
I wonder why YSL "Live Jazz" is still available on the net at somewhat humane prices.
I wonder why he did not wander into my collection in the early days.
I wonder why I'm just getting it under my nose now.
I wonder why people don't talk about him anymore I wonder how one can be a "Jazz" and still be one's very own beast.
I wonder why more minty scents aren't coming on the market.
I wonder how he could flop back then I wonder where the vanilla is I wonder how they can still knock me out with an unbelievably great top note even after 10 years "in business".
I wonder why I haven't pressed the "order" button yet.
I wonder why he never crossed my path back then in my "iParfumerie blind purchase days".
I wonder why previous speakers have welcomed him so lukewarmly.
I wonder if this is perhaps due to the all towering head and the rather quiet finish.
I am surprised that after more than 2,400 tested fragrances, I am still keen on the hobby.
I wonder why Parfumo, a platform that offers such finds and possibilities, is not already known and used worldwide I wonder why there are no "successors" in the designer field (except maybe "Roadster Sport").
I'm surprised how elegantly you can realize/olfactorize summery jazz.

Flacon: tall, thin, jazzy
Sillage: very restrained and almost distinguished
Shelf life: 4-7 hours, depending on the degree of heat

Conclusion: an almost lost refreshment, which I don't even dare to recommend warmly to everybody - for fear that you might snatch it from me in the eBay ;-) Joking aside - "Live Jazz" is one of the greatest mint freshies ever on the designer market. Almost on a par with niche like "XJ 1861". More compliments are hardly possible. It is really missing. And it's completely incomprehensible that YSL hasn't reissued it in a square, practical, good (like many other of their classics) version...

Futuristic!
Very unique fragrance i must say, i didn't find anything similar to this one. Its refreshing but at same time is kind of warm to the skin, dont know which notes makes that probably amber. Definitive spring, summer scent which i enjoyed a lot

Perfect for hot weather
This is a refreshing one! I can't see why many people find fault with this fragrance. The opening is mint and grapefruit, very zingy and fresh, and perfect for hot weather I should imagine. This is the fragrance that brings to mind sipping cocktails on the beach, or coming in from the hotel swimming pool on a hot day.

Very inoffensive. Yes it dries down to rhubarb and coriander, but that isn't a bad thing here! So maybe this "vegetable" thing (which I don't get here by the way) seems to turn people off but to me this shouts out "I'm fresh"!

Personally I think you could do a lot worse than wear this on a spring/summer day. Plus, it's YSL and it's at an affordable price for such a house. I find it ideal for the hot weather! I believe that there is always an ideal situation for every fragrance... give this a try on a hot day by the pool and you'll see what I mean.

Teadot
This one takes your head for a spin!
LIVE JAZZ comes in the clever guise of a folding screen. It's multi-facet panels (literally) reflect the multi-dimensions in Jazz and juice. The design details on the bottle are all about Contrast. And if you can't already guess, you're going to find out why !

The opening blast is lemony cool, high-lighted by spearmint. The lemon and grapefruit are more peel than juice. The accord is airy, fresh, bitter green, and "ozonic". A hint of grassy herbs in the background distinguishes this scent from the pack. But sooner than you can change into summer gear; a warm creaminess creeps in. This accord transitions into a "mid" -where suddenly, the (dinner) table... Flips !

Amber is the catalyst that begins to "cook" everything in it's warmth. The herbs morph from plant-like, to food-like. Reminiscent of the minty, lemony dish of seasoning that come on the side with your Vietnamese Noodle Soup -dominated by coriander (read cilantro), and simmering in a creamy rhubarb broth. What keeps this from turning altogether savory, is the sweetness of vanilla in the base, throbbing like a consistent beat. Personally, the addition of vanilla made this otherwise strangely refreshing scent a bit nauseating to my nose. But I must admit. This is wayyyyyyy interesting...and will no doubt leave few heads unscratched.

LIVE JAZZ is a funky trip to Mabel's kitchen... To hear her nephew's jazz trio improvise, while she's cooking ! Certain food-like qualities to this composition (cilantro and rhubarb) may well be Pierre Bourdon's inspired cross reference of Jazz Music with Soul Food ! (Food for thought, anyway : )

In-spite of the intellectual shenanigan -LIVE JAZZ (as a casual fragrance) is ultimately an unpretentious, versatile, and unique alternative scent. Do I recommend it? It all depends on whether you have room on your playlist -for something as interesting, but just as flawed as...well, live jazz !

Longevity:7/10 (base notes)
Projection (fall temperatures):6/10 (in mid)
Art/Creatives: 8/10 (bottle and concept)
How: year round, daytime, casual, free-spirited,
laid-back. (Worth testing).

I'm on the fence
I'll start by saying that not everyone will like this fragrance. To be honest, I was turned off it at first. It seemed too sharp, too citrusy, too synthetic. It does improve as it settles, however the initial scent may have you running for the scrubbing brush.

When I say too citrusy, that's not just me complaining because citrus is not my thing. The lemon and grapefruit tend to clash, creating a strange, sour sharpness that is more headache-inducing than refreshing.

The mint is more like toothpaste than the fresh, green kind. The top notes, to my nose, just seem all wrong.

The scent does improve thankfully with the introduction of the slightly spicy rhubarb and coriander. Live Jazz actually begins to smell somewhat delicious and starts to hint at an element of freshness, possibly even sexiness.

The base is rather smooth, nutty and woodsy. I unfortunately didn't get much in the way of the vanilla, which was something I was looking forward to.

Live Jazz has me changing my opinions every few seconds. One moment it will make my nose wrinkle with its acidity, the next minute it intrigues me. Personally, I probably wouldn't like a significant other of mine to wear this, seeming that it is so strong and so sharp. For some it may be their holy grail.

Live Jazz does have a touch of classiness, however its ruthlessness happens to suggest otherwise at times. My only tip would be to apply sparingly, in fear of people dropping like flies in their millions.

Fresh & classy
Is it just me or does anyone else realizes that Live Jazz & Image by Cerruti are almost identical? Is it maybe the mint opening they both share? I think so! What Image has going on is a beautiful mint/pear opening that is so fresh, so crisp, so clean & out of the shower, while Live Jazz is fresh & clean but thats where it ends as far as the opening goes.. Live Jazz does not have that pear opening to give it that nice crisp edge but this is not a bad thing! As the scent progresses I still smell the mint along with some form of dusty lemon trailing the woods & vanilla base. I really like Live Jazz as Yves Saint Laurent makes great frags.. But for me this seems to be lacking longevity. I can smell it on me about 4 hours.. I would have to spray my shirt to get a longer scent life, over all I don't think its better than Image when it comes to the opening or the longevity... However, I will still enjoy this as it is well done!

UriticoUritico 3 years ago
It's good to wear daily and lingers nicely in the air when just applied. You may not smell it after a few hours, but others definitely will.

by Rivegauche
by 123321
by Stardust
by Stardust

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent