M7 2002 Eau de Toilette

M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Tom Ford, Doug Lloyd
Top 97 in Men's Perfume
M7 (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2002. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
Mandarin orangeMandarin orange
RosemaryRosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesOudOud
VetiverVetiver
Base Notes Base NotesMandragora
AmberAmber
MuskMusk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.09.2021.

Schallhoerer
The pioneer of mainstream oud
M7 has become one of my great loves. At first we were on war footing. But over time I have been able to open up the fragrance. I would classify M7 as oriental-woody. The fragrance has a very pleasant warm and soothing aura to me.

I'll be completely honest, the top note doesn't smell very citrusy to me (which the fragrance pyramid would actually lead you to expect). The fragrance starts for me directly with a large portion of oud that seems relatively medicinal here. At no time unpleasant, but always soft and warm. The tangerine then comes more and more to the fore. It gives the fragrance some sweetness without making it too sticky. The vetiver in the heart note balances the sweetness of the mandarin wonderfully. When the drydown is joined by amber and musk, the fragrance takes on its typical bottle color. Through the musk resonates very deep in the background also something powdery. No powder like for example in a Dior Homme Intense. Rather something dusty, slightly indefinable that radiates a certain mysticism.

The durability of M7 is about 8-9 hours with 3-4 sprays. Depending on skin type, this can also vary down and up.

M7 radiates for me a security and peace, which I know from no other fragrance so. Especially in cool weather (autumn, winter), the fragrance has a warming and soothing aura that can make you forget the complete stress of the workday.

When the fragrance came on the market back in 2002, it was not a great success. Many think that he was ahead of his time with his special way. After the fragrance was discontinued began the real interest of fragrance lovers. The prices for original bottles went through the roof. 200€ for a bottle is not uncommon. Due to the increased demand, YSL released M7 Oud Absolu in 2011. A fragrance that is clearly based on the original M7. It was made a little more wearable. To me, it feels like the original M7 has had its rough edges taken away, everything polished smooth, taking away some of the soul of M7. That's not to say that M7 Oud Absolu isn't a good scent, because it still is. But compared to the original, it lacks depth and complexity. However, who wants to pay no moon prices for the original, which gets with M7 Oud Absolu a great fragrance reminiscent of the original.

Fragrance: The trailblazer for mainstream oud. Warm, comforting and enveloping
Flacon: also ahead of its time and modern
Sprayer: solid with air to the top
Durability: 8-9 hours one is enveloped by M7
Price: the current moon prices are still justified. This is niche in the designer sector.

M7 will always be one of those very special fragrances for me. He has opened the door to the world of Oud fragrances and will own alone therefore forever a place in my heart

Smellavision
The perfect introduction to oud in western mainstream fragrances...
This review is for the second formulation that comes in the bottle where half of it is transparent. Testing the first presentation of agarwood that was to introduce quite a trend over the coming years is still a joy. And what a pleasure not having to bother with the oh-so-boring oud/rose combo as well. I get some similarities to the wine and cola combination used in Magnetism for Men as well, but in a much less synthetic way.

Warm, fruity, woody, slightly sweet. Very potent (longevity as well as projection are way better than most scents produced these days) and masculine oriental serving oud and vetiver on a base of musk and amber, delivered in a beautiful bottle. Bravo msrs. Morillas and Cavallier!

Il Profumo
This masterpiece is so difficult to review, I always find it difficult to explain that I particularly like them also because it is like dissecting my intimacy, it becomes a very personal thing and honestly I don't know where to start, but let's start with a similarity. Compared to modern perfumery, M7 is an orange spot in a sea of gray. It is certainly one of the most beautiful, original and fascinating perfumes I have ever smelled.
I went in search of M7 when the hype wasn't as high as it is now, as soon as I smelled it, I immediately felt that it had something different than all the other perfumes. Today it has become almost impossible to find, and deserves all the hype surrounding it.
To understand the essence in all its completeness it seems only right to start from the birth of this perfume.
In 2002, Tom Ford, creative director of Yves Santi Laurent deals with the marketing of the seventh fragrance of the group, for this reason it is called M7, and he succeeds very well, the bottle, the mysterious amber parallelepiped is more striking than the nude used as a testimonial, a trusted creation. in Morillas and Cavalier, not two common noses.
The thing that makes this perfume special is the introduction of real agarwood, never used before by Western homes. Today there are an infinite number of perfumes containing oud, but with the difference that in M7 the oud is real and not synthetic, and also blends perfectly with the ingredients, it does not want to be a perfume made mainly of oud and more.
The opening of M7 is nothing short of overwhelming, aggressive, it is a paw of a tiger, medicinal, pungent spicy, dried herbs, mandarin rosemary and Haitian vetiver which then blend perfectly with amber, the round and woody oud, but not chewy as we are used to in modern perfumes. The perfume with the passage of time becomes sweeter, amber, dark, it lies gently on the skin remaining slightly powdery, deep, soft, modern despite being a 20-year-old perfume, it stimulates the senses, very versatile, and above all, elegant, masculine, oriental, absolutely three-dimensional, dense and damn sexy and long-lasting.
And there is another reason why they like M7 so much, by now I was tired of perfumes, I had boxes full of the usual cheap perfumes that now appear like mushrooms on the shelves of perfumeries, M7 was my key to perfumes vintage / discontinued, it made me understand you can find emotions in the bottle even in old perfumes, finding old gems has given me a lot of satisfactions that not even the best niche could give me.
I knew this review was going to be long and I'm sorry if I bored you.
I close with a banality but it is the harsh truth, they will never make perfumes like this again.

Rated 10/10
Masterpiece
Where do I start...At the sad end - the day when I realized that I probably bought my last bottle on ebay for the extortionate price of 300 Euro.

Let's rewind a few years. At that time still a student and in search of a new fragrance...
Every day that I could find the time I scurried into the perfumery shortly before closing time in Vienna, sprayed paper all over the place to get home with the loot and annoyed my Wg colleagues with scent samples. Almost a ritual, besides the cooking skills of my South Tyrolean flatmate and his search for the most reduced pasta recipe...
The olive oil came by post from the Vatican - the explanation such as why, why, I never quite understood - the tomatoes were intended for cocktails, at least in name. Finally, after hundreds of attempts - to Christine's and my delight - Ivo came up with the perfect, reduced recipe, which met with unanimous approval from everyone present: aldente De Cecco noodles in oversized shell form - for the perfect absorption of the Sugos garlic slightly sweaty - not too hot!- in the aforementioned papal olive oil, cocktail tomatoes lightly steamed, with fresh basil - from the windowsill into the shabby courtyard of a typical Viennese student dormitory - and of course freshly grated Paremsan. A feast! Br />
So I entered this olfactory Italian kitchen ambience of our mini kitchen very excited with the M7 fragrance sample...
Christine was the first to smell it. After the first bite was swallowed, and she took the opposite strip of paper in her hand, she said : unusual, hmm... but it suits you, it has something...
Ivo, on the other hand, was overwhelmed. Still too much mentally occupied with the realization of his noodle project, the otherwise so eloquent artist only briefly and briefly said " sell isch nix".
The advertising of M7, at that time still considered scandalous, was briefly discussed, but then quickly drowned in the haze of red wine...
Now well with fragrances I have relied more and more on the judgement of women. The scent was bought.

Years after that, my friends still ask me about that scent. "You had such a wonderful smell then..." Various fan forums speak volumes today..
At that time one of the first commercial oud fragrances. Unpopular, and an absolutely commercial "pipe burst". Wrongfully so! This fragrance was a milestone. Even if he didn't make it to commercial success himself, he probably kicked off the oud hype. At that time in the original still with real oud wood. I still attribute one or two "conquests" to the aphrodisiac effect of this wood, which were clearly above my level ;)

Back to the Wg.
2 months later -the cleaning plan meets me for the hated bathroom- I discover a bottle of M7 in Ivo's bathroom cabinet......the topic of conversation for today's "noodle convent" is secured...
A real Tom Ford
Already some years ago, when the hype around Tom Ford's Oud Wood started, I didn't have enough money to buy it myself, so I (quasi as a counterbalance to it) was very busy with the scent and read a lot online, tried to make somehow an affordable variant available to me.
Something I came across on a page that listed clothes, jewelry and perfume of rappers and "cheap" alternatives that should be very similar next to it.
On this day I heard about YSL M7 for the first time.
From that day on I wanted to try this fragrance, so as a beginner going to Douglas and other perfumeries I could find so no chance. Since I'm not a friend of blind buying, I kept trying. But not even in a YSL boutique in Prague 2 years ago they had this fragrance. I got a tip from the salesgirl in Paris. Last summer my girlfriend and I went to the city of love. We paid a visit to the Galeries Laffayette and finally - in the department of YSL there was M7 (but only the Oud Absolut) and I liked this scent right away. My girlfriend, who actually hates all oud scents, he could also convince, but unfortunately there was only the tester. We just don't seem to be supposed to find each other.

Then the turning point, a few months ago while browsing the internet I suddenly stumbled across this scent again and at an unbeatable price. So ordered directly!
Two days later he arrived at my place and see there, instead of the ordered M7OA I got the M7 from 2002. I had to test it immediately and WOW, it was still much better than the OA.

The fragrance is a true composition, everything fits together. It is spicy and woody as I love it, with a light sweetness that perfectly rounds off the fragrance. With many other sweet wood scents, I think everything goes under in the sweetness and destroys the scent.
But you can expect more from Tom Ford without being disappointed.
The combination of mandarin, oud and amber through which the fragrance works is extraordinary and for an edt S&H are extremely above average.
On the first day I used this fragrance I entered my office about 1.5 hours after applying it and 2 of the 3 staff on site immediately asked about the fragrance and were also positively impressed.

M7 is really cheap to have (in my case the 80ml for just 42€) but worth every cent twice.

K1
A perfume that really shakes
A warm, resinous woodsy fragrance with gloomy sweetness presenting both golden ratio beauty and beasty masculine aggressiveness, as presented in ad picture with hairy naked guy. YSL has done a perfect plan to change the path of perfumery as Chanel had done with No5. Releasing the first oud-dominant fragrance from a designer brand - no matter how pioneer in fashion - was jaw-dropping. M7 is the world's first serious take on oud that opened the gates of heaven to westerns…
M7 is a solid linear fragrance that doesn't promises for anything. It's a long rocky moan of guitar in Guns n' Roses stage. An open-shirted modern virile masculinity that before this, used to be identified by hairy cocks of aromatic fougères that lack one thing M7 presents: oriental mystery. It maintains a close kinship with medicinal materials and cough syrup, which M7 has always been notorious for. Some people were afraid of this medicinal aspect of oud (I clearly remember the debated on the very page you're reading now), whom I'm afraid to be still on the same idea while there are oud oud oud everywhere!
So pity that badass Tom Ford has ceased the line and the house replaced it with new edition. M7 was and still is an unequivocal masterpiece.
9.5/10

MasterLi
M7... the Myth, the Legend!
Tom Ford was known for a lot of things... he was the man who turned around the fortunes of Gucci from almost bankrupt to such a degree that they were able to buy YSL. He always took risks and they paid off, they were always daring and innovative. A master of design.

M7 was (and in some cases still is) a fragrance unlike any other. It was the first time the note of oud was introduced in mainstream perfumery. There was nothing like it at the time of release. Innovative and daring (just like the YSL of the past). This fragrance is strong yet soft, powerful yet quiet. Very masculine but with a hint of femininity. It's also very well made. Beautiful, elegant stuff.

M7 opens up with a slightly herbal and aromatic accord of rosemary with fresh bergamot & mandarin. What starts to come through very soon though... is the oud. Oud, or Agarwood, is the sap from an infected tropical tree. It can smell medicinal, it can smell sweet, animalic, and can often be cloying. Here that isn't the case. In M7 the oud is perfectly balanced with the other notes, the amber and the musk. There is also an earthy vetiver note which stops this from being overtly sweet, and the drydown is a smooth, powdery amber & musk combination. Extremely pleasing and nice.

My bottle is a reformulation from 2009, but not the "re-orchestrated" version released recently by Yves Saint-Laurent called M7 Oud Absolu. I haven't smelled that but I'm told it keeps some of the character of the original.

Personally, I think this is a wonderful gem of a fragrance, but I think that this has since been explored more by the countless oud variations that flooded the market in recent years. I have a hard time recommending this purely as an oud fragrance, and if you want oud, there are better examples out there. But for what it is, it's a masterpiece in my opinion. But for everyone else, feel free to check out the new version or any "stronger" oud blends out there... because I'm keeping this one for sure!

Hello Fall!
This rare 2002 bird displays quite a strange cargo yet it defines color Sinopia, shade of red and brown. Named after the Turkish city it is a reddish-brown ochre-like earth color pigment, also used in traditional oil painting, in fresco or in secco. Sinopia was written in the 15th century in Florence, Italy and described as full of honeyed ambrosia yet lean and dry in character. It projects up well. For the more it is worked up, the finer it becomes. It is good for use in dry autumnal weather. Fresh even to start with, it quickly transforms to calm, serious and mature tune. Phenomenal use of medicinal agar as the side effect, with also prominent orange on top and myrrh and labdanum at its base. Intensely masculine, elegant and sensual. You will need to lit the fireplace, source hand rolled cigars Made in Cuba, and splash for a few bottles of an extra old cognac. Thanks to Morillas & Cavallier.

Cuddle Magnet
The original formula is a beautifully intoxicating fragrance that spells Man with a capital M.

The opening is deceptively soft and gentle, giving off a slight vanillic vibe akin to the lovechild of Rochas Man and Encre Noire pour Homme, but don’t be fooled, because this only lasts a moment or two before sharply veering into the direction of a gorgeously smooth Aoudy Vetiver sandwiched between a layer of smoke and another of green freshness.

This is the Tall Dark and Handsome of the perfume world.

M7 manages to be linear in a multidimensional way.
An oxymoron I hear you say, but not so when you understand that the main body of the composition is a stable and solid olfactory experience throughout, while divulging various sensory wisps at regular intervals.

This is a perfume with depth that I would very happily lose myself into.

The Nature of M7
This is a very active fragrance, as if to say the notes have ADHD... or simply get along very well. When they calm, there's a Black Orchid vibe. In the sense that the two come off warm, spicy, balmy and almost obnoxious. When I think of Black Orchid, a clean shave and a suit comes to mind. When I think of M7... stubble, a blazer and jeans immediately surfaces to mind. M7 is far more rugged with a masculine feel.

Smoked oud and vetiver, laced with dry spices and amber. Rough yet smooth, if that makes any sense at all. Discontinued? What the hell for? You ever wonder why the best ones get voted off? This industry is rigged like reality TV.

SentenzaSentenza 12 days ago
Amber and lightrose in the top. Nothing like contemporary oud-rose. Later an agarwood bomb masterclass that will demand respect from anyone.
WinandVWinandV 3 months ago
My crush, my lover, my everything! Warm, intimate and seductive!
BertolucciKBertolucciK 5 months ago
I only know the vintage version where the oud is dominant. The scent is dry, woody, spicy and smoky. The vetiver is earthy and rough. Amber.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 years ago
One of the best Orientals ever. Doesn't have much Oud, though. Starts off with rosemary and mandarin and drydown to amber and Vetiver. Great
ElysiumElysium 6 years ago
You either love YSL M7 or you hate it, there isn’t anything in between. Also it could mean you either love the oud or you hate it. I love it!
HermeshHermesh 6 years ago
(First unreformulated version is) warm, decent spiced, slighly amber-scented. All in all, warm, round and cozy.

by VanAllan
2004: 15 ml EdT Spray Kundengeschenk, 100 ml EdT, 150 ml Body Lotion und 50 ml After Shave Balm Probe
by Rivegauche
by Estbienla
by NifNif
by NifNif

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent