M7 Oud Absolu 2011

M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent
M7 Oud Absolu is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin orange, Orange, Mineral notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesRosemary, Oud, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Amber, Musk, Labdanum, Myrrh

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 27.10.2020.

5.5
Schallhoerer
I'll be on my guard at Out
Follow me for more stupid oud puns.

My Oud-Verriss-Worldtour continues. Next stop. YSL - Oud Absolu. One to go. I personally find Oud Absolu more bearable than Oud Wood from TF. The latter causes me olfactory nausea. This is simply a fragrance I cannot smell.

Oud Absolu goes in a different direction there. Here I really think more of a 75-year-old doctor, who rubs you with his "miracle serum" during a house call, and in doing so, quick death as an option doesn't seem so bad or absurd anymore. I smell an old, yellowed medicine bag that has its best years already behind it.

This is a smell that almost kills me personally. It's definitely a smell that's going to get you noticed. If you want to be perceived is written on another piece of paper.

Also like Oud Wood, I have the problem that the scent in the opening has a too sweet note for me. Obviously, this is where the bunny in the pepper is. Sweetness paired with oud is somehow annoying for me.
So the search for an oud fragrance I would like to wear continues. The next "Verriss" is already in progress
Splendid Citrus Oud
M7 Oud Absolu has been on my wish list for a long time. A few weeks ago I was able to exchange the fragrance here on Parfumo. Lately I've been searching the whole range of spicy fresh scents, which might be noticeable on me for more than 3 hours. With regard to the coming autumn and winter months I was therefore very excited. First of all: I was not disappointed!

At times, I couldn't really do anything with oud, and I couldn't imagine what it meant. M7 Oud Absolu opens with an omnipresent and distinct citrus bomb of orange and tangerine, which is sure to mix in a heavy oud and patchouli note. Head and heart don't disappear with a running drydown, instead a touch of vetiver and myrrh swings underneath, which is rounded off by creamy musk.

I think that this fragrance is perfectly suited for mature men over 25 years of age to stand out from the crowd. Of course it has been around for a few years, but I rarely or never smell it. Durability and silage are absolutely ok for an EDT. For me this scent was the entry into other oud scents, also from Tom Ford and other brands. Recommendation to buy!
DarkWinterCS
The beginning of the mainstream oud
M7 Oud Absolu, or just M7, is a name that many people interested in fragrance will come across at some point. Not only because the fragrance M7 Oud Absolu is considered to be one of the newcomers to oud (without actual oud oils), but because it is one of the first known fragrances by Tom Ford. It was also Tom Ford who created what is probably the first oud mainstreamer for Yves Saint Laurent with this fragrance here (creative direction). For this reason alone, with the following story about oud wood, M7 Oud Absolu is a fragrance that you should know if you like woody scents. So the expectation should not be so high that you are longing for a grail of oud.
Even though the fragrance may have undergone some reformulations by now, here are some origins of its later development.

By today's standards, the fragrance appears relatively unspectacular and ordinary. It doesn't have such catchy compositions like a Kouros or Antaeus, but it's also not that old, so that M7 looks and smells more like a Meanstreamer.

The perception is quite positive after spraying, because instead of the frequent combination of rose oud, one finds a mixture of oud and fresh notes such as bergamot and tangerine. The Madarine in particular spreads out alongside light woods, giving the fragrance a pleasant freshness and suitability for everyday use. There are very delicate smoky notes that I can perceive in the background. But one really does not hear much of the smoky notes, as they come along with balsamic-earthy notes of patchouli and rosemary.
A certain freshness remains in the background over the entire course and is extremely pleasing.
Some will criticize that the scent is more like a light woodsy scent, which in a dream would have wished to become eaglewood. This is quite justified, since you cannot demand a real oud for the price called and this is also not a noticeable main component.

However, M7 Oud Absolu can be recommended to anyone who wants to explore Tom Ford's scent development or who wants to move towards oud and dark woods with a certain amount of enhancement.

The shelf life and silage are decent for the fragrance I have (still with the name "Oud Absolu" on the bottle). The first hour you can already detect a certain silage that envelops your own neck in a certain mist. Durability is also within the realm of good scents, although the new formulations are probably not meant to be as strong as the bottle I own.

I like to use the fragrance on days when I want to sniff a little more reservedly or on days when I know that I want to test other fragrances on my arms.
For my part I am happy to have dared the test here and to have had the fragrance in my collection.

Dry companion for winter
I love the opening, it is really great, fresh not too sweet notes of Bergamot and Citruses for me it is the best phase of this fragrance.
Its dries down not long after that, and you get dry, dry woody notes with a bit of smoke. But where is oud? I think only in the name.

M7 Oud Absolu is not loud and not elegant either, I would like to call it casual. Best for in winter for everyday use. It is nice but kind lacking some statement, like being neutral. But that fine if you are into this type of fragrances.

I also have noticed a quite limited projection but also read some reviews that projection is great, so might be batch variable.
Killer shit
... has what it takes to become the new No. 1, the combination of Patchouli + Oud (eaglewood) is simply the hammer! Otherwise slightly sweet scent in the beginning. The fragrance immediately creates a pleasant relaxation, after a few minutes of "airing off" the effect is most intense on the skin - you notice how the "parasympathetic" is activated immediately. At least this is the case with me.

The scent is very long lasting and reminds me somehow of a "sauna scent"! I'm curious about the reactions of the female sex, suspect polarizing, divided reactions. But in principle no matter, if I could, I would want to seduce myself with the scent...

M7 Oud Absolu
Perfume versed in the oud, spectacular, I love it, and if its performance were greater, it would be a perfume of 10.

The beginning is an explosion of forceful oud, leaves no respite with its effluviums of powerful, medicated and dirty wood. Little by little, the citrus note of mandarin begins to be incorporated, which regulates the crudeness of the oud very well, although at times it has seemed to me to perceive the odd nuance of Loctite glue, but a minimal and unimportant thing. Then, the patchouli feels more presence, accentuating the woody sensation of the fragrance, but in a dusty way, somewhat earthy and with a mysterious air. Thus, stealthily, it is sweetened resinously, to end with an elegant and exquisite wood of resinous, sweet and semi-dusty nuances, which removes the hiccups. He has conquered me with capital letters.

The performance is good, but it could have been better, about 7 hours on skin, with a regular projection, the start is spectacular, but it decays for the moment and immediately becomes moderate, a shame for such a succulent aroma. Perfume for cold and temperate climates and its habitat is night.

I would recommend it without a doubt, its aroma is elegant, sober and refined, but its benefits are not very high, so, better try it before, and when you do, you will tell us about it.
Xandi
Everything used to be better...
...or I'll just get old. Even though the whole fragrance Oud is not really my case, I have to admit that this "western" version of YSL fascinated me very quickly. I probably still have to thank Mr. Tom Ford for that. Since he left YSL, I don't think anything of artistic value for the perfume market has come from there.
Unfortunately, one must first overcome the medical prelude with respectful distance. Anyone who smells too close to the skin in the first few minutes after spraying will definitely be deterred. Simple, accessible and suitable for the masses is different. Oud Absolu is clearly one of those fragrances that can best be learned directly from the spray head without activating it. In fact, with many fragrances, it is easy to see how the perfume will smell in the heart note. This type of testing is highly recommended for this specimen in particular.
The perfume itself is an almost overflowing opulent blend of bitter mandarin, dried fruit, wood, resin, unsweet yet sticky syrupy Coca-Cola, patchouli and frankincense. A mix that, depending on season and temperature, brings other nuances to the surface. Actually, the perfume is definitely a companion for colder days, but I also like to use it on summer evenings that are not too hot and find it very unusual and interesting. For my nose one gets here niche quality thrown to the drugstore price.
If you are looking for a special perfume with "corners and edges" among the normal perfumes available in every perfumery chain, and a special one away from the boring, self-copying, uniform rice, I can warmly recommend Oud Absolu, especially for the coming Christmas season.
Anosmia?!
Well, I don't know what that might be. Has my sense of smell disappeared, have I become fragrance-blind?! But I have to hold my nose very close to the skin and breathe in extremely deeply to get an idea of the scent of this perfume. What I can smell is quite pleasant, a warm, soft, almost lulling scent with only reserved sweetness, which is kept in check by a woody spice, accompanied by a tiny splash of acid - it seems to me. What did I read here: "balsamic", "wadding", yes, that seems to apply. Nothing is intrusive, but nothing is intrusive either. Who wants the latter, should reach for something else.

Well, I want to admit that I belong to those crazy people who normally "diesel in" themselves properly, I want to let my fellow men share in the scent I wear. So I have no problem with being asked occasionally if I had bathed in perfume. On the other hand, of course, I don't want to bother anyone's nose either, which is why I exercise caution with certain silage bombs. With M7 Oud Absolu, however, you can step on the gas without having to fear that - for example - your nice colleagues are panting for fresh air because of the oud or other fragrance components. This makes it suitable for everyday use.

The oud is here "bound" into fruity notes. I don't know if they are the ones that are indicated as head notes in the fragrance pyramid, I just suspect or suspect it. "Integrated" ... a nice term from the wine description. If the alcohol or the tannins (the tannins) are well "bound", this usually means that one does not taste the alcohol, or better: its pungent note, and the wine is not so "furry" (bound tannins). In other words: a smooth wine. And so M7 Oud Absolu is smooth, elegant, but still not without corners and edges, which are, however, slightly rounded. That gives him a certain noblesse. I'd like the scent to be a little more intense, though. The interaction - Or is it more of a competition? - the fruity notes with the oud - as referee the myrrh - is a thoroughly exciting and fragrant affair. I like it very much, but it has something of a friendly game...pleasing, but it lacks the spark.

A small addendum: I am new to the world of perfume, have no great experience, although I have already smelled some samples, but I am still far from being able to identify individual scents with unerring accuracy. On the other hand, I have not yet been able to determine that certain fragrances are not perceived at all or only poorly. Therefore I made a second test attempt and "pre-treated" my wrist with a fragrance neutral cream. I have read that this should help improve the silage, but at least the durability... With me: nothing of the sort! Well, it lasts a little bit longer, nothing changes in the m.E. weak silage.

And a third attempt: 4 sprays!!! Even my sweetheart hardly smells anything...

So I put M 7 Oud Absolu "in the corner" and come back to it later - maybe in half a year. Maybe I smell there more or other...Too bad, there actually a beautiful smell.
Coemgen
Perfume art of the high school - a three-course menu as a fragrance
Imagine you go to a good restaurant.
3 courses are served.
Starter / main course / dessert
Classic, you'd think. Or not?
But today the chef is trying something new. He exchanges the starter and the dessert and remains behind a new experience.

The starter - Sweet, sweeter, top note M7

The first impression is brachial.
Bergamot, Mandarin, Orange.
These fruits determine the enormous sweet portion of the perfume. These remain present even beyond the top note and have a decisive influence on the course of the fragrance. I personally am a tangerine fan and this first impression was positive for me. It is rounded off with a good pinch of salt (I perceive it at least subtly).
But as if that wasn't enough for now, we are greeted by a fragrance from the kitchen that gives this perfume its name ...

Main course - eagle wood garnished with patchouli and some rosemary.

The salt is used as a transition, trying to unite the sweetness of the fruit and the oud. This idea is brilliant and one of the reasons why the top note mixes so much with the heart note and remains present for so long. I can imagine salt here as a natural flavour enhancer, just as it really is in the kitchen.
Now to the eponymous oud. It is and remains something very personal. Whether you like it or not is up to you. Due to the enormous fruits, the oud is well controlled, but nevertheless it is the determining part in this fragrance. For me personally two completely different impressions remained behind.
On the one hand the feeling as if the oud would bring a depth and maturity into the perfume which makes it a very noble perfume and on the other hand as if the whole menu would be served in a cowshed. Oud is something special. In this combination, with the fruits and the salt, it is converted to mass production.
Patchouli acts here as a link between top note and heart note. The earthy-woody one goes well with the oud and the sweetish one with the fruits. The rosemary underlines the whole thing slightly, but in my opinion it is barely perceptible. As if some rosemary scattered over the eagle wood would serve as garnish.

Dessert - the attempt to become mystical

Finally, Yves Saint Laurent serves us a mixture of grasses and smoke, and unfortunately tries to mystify some artificial M7. Basically one has to say that the base note does not have its own appearance. It only begins to show through after a few hours, but looks like it was not intended. The idea of using myrrh (one of my favourite fragrances), labdanum, vetiver and amber to play around and lengthen the woody-sweet note of the perfume is very intelligent, but it lacks all the power. The ingredients are chosen fantastically:
The mystical myrrh combines with the sweet grass vetiver and combines with the amber a woody-balsamic-sweet fragrance experience and is finally coated with the Labdanum as a smoking fireworks. Ingenious ... but too little, too late. One could have separated from the musk alone here already in the apron. I don't think he fits in here.
Perhaps one should have been more reserved with the fruits and more with the myrrh and the labdanum in the foreground, one could have mixed the heart and top note, but unfortunately the base note remains backward and behind its possibility. The dessert is already cold, although it should be warm.

One notices the desire to tame the oud for the masses. The scent doesn't spread throughout the room, but sticks to you and only brings those people into the boat who are not too far away from you. That also fits to this fragrance, and even if the Sillage is not big with it, she still gets a good score from me.

Shelf life

As mentioned above, the head and heart notes merge very quickly, very strongly. The perfume's actual fragrance takes effect after just a few minutes and then lasts for a good 3-4 hours, while the base note is then added slightly. Overall, the fragrance is perceptible for a good half day. This is also an acceptable result for an eau de toilette.

Flacon

I have to say a big word of praise. The main components of the perfume are listed on the bottle. Here called chords:

ACCORDS

Mandarin
Bois de Oud
Patchouli
Ciste
Myrrh

2002

I guess Ciste means Labdanum. Creating such transparency here and explaining the perfume process to the buyer gives me great advantages. On the front is big:

M7

OUD ABSOLU

Yves Saint Laurent

The name of the brand is in the familiar font. The ACCORDS are placed on the right side of the second surface of the square bottle, seen from the front. The writing imprint is noticeable under the fingers, which I personally like very much, because it leaves behind a multidimensional feeling. At the bottom of the floor is a small round transparent sticker with some information. Made in France, 80ml etc. But most of it is hard to read, because the glass mirrors and it is very small and partly written round (typical for such stickers).
The bottle itself has a high-quality design and also looks good. The glass is rounded at the corners so that there is no risk of injury. Inside, the glass is poured into a mould that leads to the back of the glass, which makes the perfume stand out nicely with its colour. Because the cap sits on at an angle, you have to fumble a little to close the bottle (At least with me as a symmetry freak this seems to be the case. I just want to put it on symmetrically to the bottle. Round too round, square too square. If you had a higher intelligence quotient than me, I think you'd be better off with it.) The lid is black and reminds me a bit of the monolith of 2001 - Odyssey in Space. Which is a big compliment since that's my favorite movie. The spray head delivers strong, targeted shocks and is of the highest quality. Finally, the colour of the perfume. This one promises what's inside. The mandarin, the oud and the labdanum seem to combine and produce a yellowish-orange colour similar to a cognac or whisky. Very attractive and high quality.
The packaging is in the typical rectangular shape of black cardboard, printed with small squares. All the necessary information is on the back. On the front side it says like on the bottle:

M7

OUD ABSOLU

Yves Saint Laurent

On the left side, seen from the front, it says in several languages:

A sensual perfume on the base of a woody duvet chord

On the lid the Yves Saint Laurent symbol is noticeably printed in black.

Conclusion

The perfume is absolutely high-quality and intelligently implemented. I find the idea with the salt brilliant and the sweetness of the fruits harmonize great with the oud. Since I'm a big myrrh fan and I'm enthusiastic about the idea to include myrrh and Labdanum on the one hand, on the other hand I'm a little inhibited with the cheering, because you could have done it better. This might have raised this perfume to another level. In the end, it all depends on the oud. If he didn't like it, he probably wouldn't enjoy this perfume either.

Polished Oriental
During the years old M7 had to regulate his diet to maintain the line and lower the calorie intake. This new M7 is thinner, but keeps the old vibe. Compressed, like the CD quality of sound is compressed in mp3 format.
Oud Absolu opens with mandarin, and even some rosemary of the original. Patchouli and oud give some robustness. Although called Oud Absolu, oud is not prominent. It is Westernized, yet has some depth and full bodied. The strong resins in the base are the difference from the original. OA is drier and sticky sweet at the same time.
New version of the old beast. More easy to wear. Yes, it lost some of old charm, but the essence is here.

Rating: 7/10

CumhranfearCumhranfear 9 months ago
Pleasant, but not the legend it's made out to be. Woody rather than oudy. Fades to a skin scent in minutes.

by Salva
by AntonioPORT
by Jens73
by Jens73

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent