M7 Oud Absolu 2011

M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent
M7 Oud Absolu is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
AmberAmber
MuskMusk
LabdanumLabdanum
MyrrhMyrrh

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 24.07.2021.

First YSL
"Tangerine in the face" is what I would say at the beginning. And I do not exaggerate. The whole thing was a blind buy and I was shocked by the smell. Crap, where do I get rid of it again" I thought to myself. Really musty and just repulsive.
Later, however, I perceived a beautiful spice, which I could not assign. To date, I knew as a fragrance also only Joop Homme, which develops in the course not too great (In retrospect, with a 10€/100ml fragrance not necessarily to be expected). Therefore, I did not understand that with the development of fragrances and was quite confused, where these olfactory impressions come from.
Anyway, my first YSL.
And with time, one smells already when spraying on a little more complexity than just the pure power of tangerine the first time.
The bottle I personally find very noble and the yellow color very appealing , at the spray head I have nothing to complain.
To the fragrance;
The first sentence probably meets it best. After about half an hour then also comes through a nice, pleasant oud, which I could not classify until recently also, because I just did not know how oud smells, until I smelled Essence Oud.
In combination with the mandarin just the hammer, whereby my little black perfume beginner heart does not yet know so many fragrances in the direction.
What I find a pity is that M7 is already after 2h and I perceive him only body close, later then only skin close and very flat.
All in all, a very getting used to fragrance, which certainly also not everyone can wear.
Next I want to treat myself times Mandarine di Amalfi by Tom Ford, but this time do not commit the mistake of blindbuy. :)
False first impression
First of all I would like to say that I am quite new in the fragrance world and my nose is therefore very untrained. But now to the fragrance: I was very excited about the fragrance and wanted to try it for a long time so I was very happy about the sharing beidem I could buy a bottling. When he arrived I was first very disappointed for me he smelled quite getting used to and in the first moment after medicine, after a while the medicine smell was not necessarily better but no longer so pungent. I then gave it another chance and the second time I wore it it was already much better clear the, for my untrained nose, medicine note was still there but it did not bother me so much and I found the scent even quite pleasant. Meanwhile, I like the scent quite well but I think he is not suitable for everyone. I haven't received any compliments for it yet, but I didn't explicitly ask for their opinion. Currently, it is anyway difficult to get opinions because you do not meet so many people due to Corona
I'm good with oud...
We all have certain preferences for certain notes, just as we naturally have a kind of aversion to other notes. Spontaneously, leather, aniseed and oud come to mind, with which I personally am not very good at, for example,

I would still call the first two my "bosses". Again and again and again I have tested scents that included these two, but I just (mostly) never could really get used to them, which hasn't changed until today.
But not so with Oud, for which I found one I like more than well with the M7 from YSL.
[...]

I discovered this scent about half a year ago in a perfumery and knew of its existence, but I had put off testing it for a long time, as I was still a beginner at that time (I would still call myself a beginner) and therefore preferred other scents.

But some time ago I sniffed at him for the first time and was very surprised, in a positive sense. So surprised that I said to myself: "Oh, it's beautiful. Not the way oud usually smells."
And when I bought a sample and used it every day, I quickly realized how much I liked the scent, so I quickly ordered a bottle.

Certainly there is no classic or real oud in this M7. Most people associate with this note things like cowsh!!!!, some medical chords or other foul smelling things (by the way, so do I myself).
But the M7 is a very pleasant and cosy fragrance, where I personally perceive the oud note only discreetly (if oud is included here at all).

In the beginning, it starts with a charming sweet and fruity tangerine, which is then pushed forward with other citrus notes in the background. Since patchouli is one of my favourite notes, the rest of the song is also very appealing to me. This gives the fragrance an earthy and tart woody character, and the tangerine gradually recedes.
In the base, I find it to be balsamic-sweet and spicy-warm, which should be due to the myrrh and amber. The freshness from the opening is retained throughout the fragrance, although not as strong as at the beginning
Especially in the current season the M7 is the best and most suitable for me. Because of the fruity-citric start and the oriental swing it brings with it afterwards, mMn can be classified as a great all-rounder, which you can wear very well on these autumn days. And also on cooler days in spring I can imagine him very well.

In terms of occasions, it is suitable for work (but if so, then only in a discreet dosage, as it has power), everyday life (preferably with a little more chic clothing), as well as the evening to go out.

I cannot complain about the durability, quite the contrary. I smell it on myself about 7-8h, which I find great. As I mentioned before, it has an enormous radiance at the beginning and you are very well noticed in the first 2-3h, which for me personally makes for a good Sillage
speaks.
Conclusion:
With the Santal Royal by Guerlain and Intense Oud by Gucci I owned two other oud-heavy treasures besides the M7 for a long time, but in the end I passed them on, because the Santal Royal was simply too leathery and the Intense Oud was too sour because of the saffron (I also wanted to reduce my collection, which fortunately went well for me recently).

But this M7 is still with me and will also have its place in my collection in the future. I would like to have at least one oud fragrance and this one is completely sufficient for me. Because from the first smell on it convinced me very much and therefore it has earned its place. The certain sensuality that it brings with it, I like it very much. In spite of his seductive character I find him at the same time reserved and polite in his whole appearance.

In my eyes it is an intense, very elegant and easy to wear, oriental-woody scent with a slightly sweet background, which I can recommend to anyone who is not used to oud.
[...]
Thank you for reading it!
Splendid Citrus Oud
M7 Oud Absolu has been on my wish list for a long time. A few weeks ago I was able to exchange the fragrance here on Parfumo. Lately I've been searching the whole range of spicy fresh scents, which might be noticeable on me for more than 3 hours. With regard to the coming autumn and winter months I was therefore very excited. First of all: I was not disappointed!

At times, I couldn't really do anything with oud, and I couldn't imagine what it meant. M7 Oud Absolu opens with an omnipresent and distinct citrus bomb of orange and tangerine, which is sure to mix in a heavy oud and patchouli note. Head and heart don't disappear with a running drydown, instead a touch of vetiver and myrrh swings underneath, which is rounded off by creamy musk.

I think that this fragrance is perfectly suited for mature men over 25 years of age to stand out from the crowd. Of course it has been around for a few years, but I rarely or never smell it. Durability and silage are absolutely ok for an EDT. For me this scent was the entry into other oud scents, also from Tom Ford and other brands. Recommendation to buy!
DarkWinterCS
The beginning of the mainstream oud
M7 Oud Absolu, or just M7, is a name that many people interested in fragrance will come across at some point. Not only because the fragrance M7 Oud Absolu is considered to be one of the newcomers to oud (without actual oud oils), but because it is one of the first known fragrances by Tom Ford. It was also Tom Ford who created what is probably the first oud mainstreamer for Yves Saint Laurent with this fragrance here (creative direction). For this reason alone, with the following story about oud wood, M7 Oud Absolu is a fragrance that you should know if you like woody scents. So the expectation should not be so high that you are longing for a grail of oud.
Even though the fragrance may have undergone some reformulations by now, here are some origins of its later development.

By today's standards, the fragrance appears relatively unspectacular and ordinary. It doesn't have such catchy compositions like a Kouros or Antaeus, but it's also not that old, so that M7 looks and smells more like a Meanstreamer.

The perception is quite positive after spraying, because instead of the frequent combination of rose oud, one finds a mixture of oud and fresh notes such as bergamot and tangerine. The Madarine in particular spreads out alongside light woods, giving the fragrance a pleasant freshness and suitability for everyday use. There are very delicate smoky notes that I can perceive in the background. But one really does not hear much of the smoky notes, as they come along with balsamic-earthy notes of patchouli and rosemary.
A certain freshness remains in the background over the entire course and is extremely pleasing.
Some will criticize that the scent is more like a light woodsy scent, which in a dream would have wished to become eaglewood. This is quite justified, since you cannot demand a real oud for the price called and this is also not a noticeable main component.

However, M7 Oud Absolu can be recommended to anyone who wants to explore Tom Ford's scent development or who wants to move towards oud and dark woods with a certain amount of enhancement.

The shelf life and silage are decent for the fragrance I have (still with the name "Oud Absolu" on the bottle). The first hour you can already detect a certain silage that envelops your own neck in a certain mist. Durability is also within the realm of good scents, although the new formulations are probably not meant to be as strong as the bottle I own.

I like to use the fragrance on days when I want to sniff a little more reservedly or on days when I know that I want to test other fragrances on my arms.
For my part I am happy to have dared the test here and to have had the fragrance in my collection.

Dry companion for winter
I love the opening, it is really great, fresh not too sweet notes of Bergamot and Citruses for me it is the best phase of this fragrance.
Its dries down not long after that, and you get dry, dry woody notes with a bit of smoke. But where is oud? I think only in the name.

M7 Oud Absolu is not loud and not elegant either, I would like to call it casual. Best for in winter for everyday use. It is nice but kind lacking some statement, like being neutral. But that fine if you are into this type of fragrances.

I also have noticed a quite limited projection but also read some reviews that projection is great, so might be batch variable.
Killer shit
... has what it takes to become the new No. 1, the combination of Patchouli + Oud (eaglewood) is simply the hammer! Otherwise slightly sweet scent in the beginning. The fragrance immediately creates a pleasant relaxation, after a few minutes of "airing off" the effect is most intense on the skin - you notice how the "parasympathetic" is activated immediately. At least this is the case with me.

The scent is very long lasting and reminds me somehow of a "sauna scent"! I'm curious about the reactions of the female sex, suspect polarizing, divided reactions. But in principle no matter, if I could, I would want to seduce myself with the scent...

M7 Oud Absolu
Perfume versed in the oud, spectacular, I love it, and if its performance were greater, it would be a perfume of 10.

The beginning is an explosion of forceful oud, leaves no respite with its effluviums of powerful, medicated and dirty wood. Little by little, the citrus note of mandarin begins to be incorporated, which regulates the crudeness of the oud very well, although at times it has seemed to me to perceive the odd nuance of Loctite glue, but a minimal and unimportant thing. Then, the patchouli feels more presence, accentuating the woody sensation of the fragrance, but in a dusty way, somewhat earthy and with a mysterious air. Thus, stealthily, it is sweetened resinously, to end with an elegant and exquisite wood of resinous, sweet and semi-dusty nuances, which removes the hiccups. He has conquered me with capital letters.

The performance is good, but it could have been better, about 7 hours on skin, with a regular projection, the start is spectacular, but it decays for the moment and immediately becomes moderate, a shame for such a succulent aroma. Perfume for cold and temperate climates and its habitat is night.

I would recommend it without a doubt, its aroma is elegant, sober and refined, but its benefits are not very high, so, better try it before, and when you do, you will tell us about it.
Xandi
Everything used to be better...
...or I'll just get old. Even though the whole fragrance Oud is not really my case, I have to admit that this "western" version of YSL fascinated me very quickly. I probably still have to thank Mr. Tom Ford for that. Since he left YSL, I don't think anything of artistic value for the perfume market has come from there.
Unfortunately, one must first overcome the medical prelude with respectful distance. Anyone who smells too close to the skin in the first few minutes after spraying will definitely be deterred. Simple, accessible and suitable for the masses is different. Oud Absolu is clearly one of those fragrances that can best be learned directly from the spray head without activating it. In fact, with many fragrances, it is easy to see how the perfume will smell in the heart note. This type of testing is highly recommended for this specimen in particular.
The perfume itself is an almost overflowing opulent blend of bitter mandarin, dried fruit, wood, resin, unsweet yet sticky syrupy Coca-Cola, patchouli and frankincense. A mix that, depending on season and temperature, brings other nuances to the surface. Actually, the perfume is definitely a companion for colder days, but I also like to use it on summer evenings that are not too hot and find it very unusual and interesting. For my nose one gets here niche quality thrown to the drugstore price.
If you are looking for a special perfume with "corners and edges" among the normal perfumes available in every perfumery chain, and a special one away from the boring, self-copying, uniform rice, I can warmly recommend Oud Absolu, especially for the coming Christmas season.
Anosmia?!
Well, I don't know what that might be. Has my sense of smell disappeared, have I become fragrance-blind?! But I have to hold my nose very close to the skin and breathe in extremely deeply to get an idea of the scent of this perfume. What I can smell is quite pleasant, a warm, soft, almost lulling scent with only reserved sweetness, which is kept in check by a woody spice, accompanied by a tiny splash of acid - it seems to me. What did I read here: "balsamic", "wadding", yes, that seems to apply. Nothing is intrusive, but nothing is intrusive either. Who wants the latter, should reach for something else.

Well, I want to admit that I belong to those crazy people who normally "diesel in" themselves properly, I want to let my fellow men share in the scent I wear. So I have no problem with being asked occasionally if I had bathed in perfume. On the other hand, of course, I don't want to bother anyone's nose either, which is why I exercise caution with certain silage bombs. With M7 Oud Absolu, however, you can step on the gas without having to fear that - for example - your nice colleagues are panting for fresh air because of the oud or other fragrance components. This makes it suitable for everyday use.

The oud is here "bound" into fruity notes. I don't know if they are the ones that are indicated as head notes in the fragrance pyramid, I just suspect or suspect it. "Integrated" ... a nice term from the wine description. If the alcohol or the tannins (the tannins) are well "bound", this usually means that one does not taste the alcohol, or better: its pungent note, and the wine is not so "furry" (bound tannins). In other words: a smooth wine. And so M7 Oud Absolu is smooth, elegant, but still not without corners and edges, which are, however, slightly rounded. That gives him a certain noblesse. I'd like the scent to be a little more intense, though. The interaction - Or is it more of a competition? - the fruity notes with the oud - as referee the myrrh - is a thoroughly exciting and fragrant affair. I like it very much, but it has something of a friendly game...pleasing, but it lacks the spark.

A small addendum: I am new to the world of perfume, have no great experience, although I have already smelled some samples, but I am still far from being able to identify individual scents with unerring accuracy. On the other hand, I have not yet been able to determine that certain fragrances are not perceived at all or only poorly. Therefore I made a second test attempt and "pre-treated" my wrist with a fragrance neutral cream. I have read that this should help improve the silage, but at least the durability... With me: nothing of the sort! Well, it lasts a little bit longer, nothing changes in the m.E. weak silage.

And a third attempt: 4 sprays!!! Even my sweetheart hardly smells anything...

So I put M 7 Oud Absolu "in the corner" and come back to it later - maybe in half a year. Maybe I smell there more or other...Too bad, there actually a beautiful smell.

CumhranfearCumhranfear 1 year ago
Pleasant, but not the legend it's made out to be. Woody rather than oudy. Fades to a skin scent in minutes.

Ladies and Gentlemen, ich wünsche euch einen absolu goldigen 3. Oudvent!
by EauSavage
by AntonioPORT
by Jens73
by Jens73

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent