M7 Oud Absolu (2011)

M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent

M7 Oud Absolu is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Orange, Mineral notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesRosemary, Oud, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Amber, Musk, Labdanum, Myrrh

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 17.08.2019

4.0 4.0 8.0/10

Anosmia?!
Well, I don't know what that might be. Has my sense of smell disappeared, have I become fragrance-blind?! But I have to hold my nose very close to the skin and breathe in extremely deeply to get an idea of the scent of this perfume. What I can smell is quite pleasant, a warm, soft, almost lulling scent with only reserved sweetness, which is kept in check by a woody spice, accompanied by a tiny splash of acid - it seems to me. What did I read here: "balsamic", "wadding", yes, that seems to apply. Nothing is intrusive, but nothing is intrusive either. Who wants the latter, should reach for something else.

Well, I want to admit that I belong to those crazy people who normally "diesel in" themselves properly, I want to let my fellow men share in the scent I wear. So I have no problem with being asked occasionally if I had bathed in perfume. On the other hand, of course, I don't want to bother anyone's nose either, which is why I exercise caution with certain silage bombs. With M7 Oud Absolu, however, you can step on the gas without having to fear that - for example - your nice colleagues are panting for fresh air because of the oud or other fragrance components. This makes it suitable for everyday use.

The oud is here "bound" into fruity notes. I don't know if they are the ones that are indicated as head notes in the fragrance pyramid, I just suspect or suspect it. "Integrated" ... a nice term from the wine description. If the alcohol or the tannins (the tannins) are well "bound", this usually means that one does not taste the alcohol, or better: its pungent note, and the wine is not so "furry" (bound tannins). In other words: a smooth wine. And so M7 Oud Absolu is smooth, elegant, but still not without corners and edges, which are, however, slightly rounded. That gives him a certain noblesse. I'd like the scent to be a little more intense, though. The interaction - Or is it more of a competition? - the fruity notes with the oud - as referee the myrrh - is a thoroughly exciting and fragrant affair. I like it very much, but it has something of a friendly game...pleasing, but it lacks the spark.

A small addendum: I am new to the world of perfume, have no great experience, although I have already smelled some samples, but I am still far from being able to identify individual scents with unerring accuracy. On the other hand, I have not yet been able to determine that certain fragrances are not perceived at all or only poorly. Therefore I made a second test attempt and "pre-treated" my wrist with a fragrance neutral cream. I have read that this should help improve the silage, but at least the durability... With me: nothing of the sort! Well, it lasts a little bit longer, nothing changes in the m.E. weak silage.

And a third attempt: 4 sprays!!! Even my sweetheart hardly smells anything...

So I put M 7 Oud Absolu "in the corner" and come back to it later - maybe in half a year. Maybe I smell there more or other...Too bad, there actually a beautiful smell.
8.0 9.0 8.0 9.0/10

Coemgen
Perfume art of the high school - a three-course menu as a fragrance
Imagine you go to a good restaurant.
3 courses are served.
Starter / main course / dessert
Classic, you'd think. Or not?
But today the chef is trying something new. He exchanges the starter and the dessert and remains behind a new experience.

The starter - Sweet, sweeter, top note M7

The first impression is brachial.
Bergamot, Mandarin, Orange.
These fruits determine the enormous sweet portion of the perfume. These remain present even beyond the top note and have a decisive influence on the course of the fragrance. I personally am a tangerine fan and this first impression was positive for me. It is rounded off with a good pinch of salt (I perceive it at least subtly).
But as if that wasn't enough for now, we are greeted by a fragrance from the kitchen that gives this perfume its name ...

Main course - eagle wood garnished with patchouli and some rosemary.

The salt is used as a transition, trying to unite the sweetness of the fruit and the oud. This idea is brilliant and one of the reasons why the top note mixes so much with the heart note and remains present for so long. I can imagine salt here as a natural flavour enhancer, just as it really is in the kitchen.
Now to the eponymous oud. It is and remains something very personal. Whether you like it or not is up to you. Due to the enormous fruits, the oud is well controlled, but nevertheless it is the determining part in this fragrance. For me personally two completely different impressions remained behind.
On the one hand the feeling as if the oud would bring a depth and maturity into the perfume which makes it a very noble perfume and on the other hand as if the whole menu would be served in a cowshed. Oud is something special. In this combination, with the fruits and the salt, it is converted to mass production.
Patchouli acts here as a link between top note and heart note. The earthy-woody one goes well with the oud and the sweetish one with the fruits. The rosemary underlines the whole thing slightly, but in my opinion it is barely perceptible. As if some rosemary scattered over the eagle wood would serve as garnish.

Dessert - the attempt to become mystical

Finally, Yves Saint Laurent serves us a mixture of grasses and smoke, and unfortunately tries to mystify some artificial M7. Basically one has to say that the base note does not have its own appearance. It only begins to show through after a few hours, but looks like it was not intended. The idea of using myrrh (one of my favourite fragrances), labdanum, vetiver and amber to play around and lengthen the woody-sweet note of the perfume is very intelligent, but it lacks all the power. The ingredients are chosen fantastically:
The mystical myrrh combines with the sweet grass vetiver and combines with the amber a woody-balsamic-sweet fragrance experience and is finally coated with the Labdanum as a smoking fireworks. Ingenious ... but too little, too late. One could have separated from the musk alone here already in the apron. I don't think he fits in here.
Perhaps one should have been more reserved with the fruits and more with the myrrh and the labdanum in the foreground, one could have mixed the heart and top note, but unfortunately the base note remains backward and behind its possibility. The dessert is already cold, although it should be warm.

One notices the desire to tame the oud for the masses. The scent doesn't spread throughout the room, but sticks to you and only brings those people into the boat who are not too far away from you. That also fits to this fragrance, and even if the Sillage is not big with it, she still gets a good score from me.

Shelf life

As mentioned above, the head and heart notes merge very quickly, very strongly. The perfume's actual fragrance takes effect after just a few minutes and then lasts for a good 3-4 hours, while the base note is then added slightly. Overall, the fragrance is perceptible for a good half day. This is also an acceptable result for an eau de toilette.

Flacon

I have to say a big word of praise. The main components of the perfume are listed on the bottle. Here called chords:

ACCORDS

Mandarin
Bois de Oud
Patchouli
Ciste
Myrrh

2002

I guess Ciste means Labdanum. Creating such transparency here and explaining the perfume process to the buyer gives me great advantages. On the front is big:

M7

OUD ABSOLU

Yves Saint Laurent

The name of the brand is in the familiar font. The ACCORDS are placed on the right side of the second surface of the square bottle, seen from the front. The writing imprint is noticeable under the fingers, which I personally like very much, because it leaves behind a multidimensional feeling. At the bottom of the floor is a small round transparent sticker with some information. Made in France, 80ml etc. But most of it is hard to read, because the glass mirrors and it is very small and partly written round (typical for such stickers).
The bottle itself has a high-quality design and also looks good. The glass is rounded at the corners so that there is no risk of injury. Inside, the glass is poured into a mould that leads to the back of the glass, which makes the perfume stand out nicely with its colour. Because the cap sits on at an angle, you have to fumble a little to close the bottle (At least with me as a symmetry freak this seems to be the case. I just want to put it on symmetrically to the bottle. Round too round, square too square. If you had a higher intelligence quotient than me, I think you'd be better off with it.) The lid is black and reminds me a bit of the monolith of 2001 - Odyssey in Space. Which is a big compliment since that's my favorite movie. The spray head delivers strong, targeted shocks and is of the highest quality. Finally, the colour of the perfume. This one promises what's inside. The mandarin, the oud and the labdanum seem to combine and produce a yellowish-orange colour similar to a cognac or whisky. Very attractive and high quality.
The packaging is in the typical rectangular shape of black cardboard, printed with small squares. All the necessary information is on the back. On the front side it says like on the bottle:

M7

OUD ABSOLU

Yves Saint Laurent

On the left side, seen from the front, it says in several languages:

A sensual perfume on the base of a woody duvet chord

On the lid the Yves Saint Laurent symbol is noticeably printed in black.

Conclusion

The perfume is absolutely high-quality and intelligently implemented. I find the idea with the salt brilliant and the sweetness of the fruits harmonize great with the oud. Since I'm a big myrrh fan and I'm enthusiastic about the idea to include myrrh and Labdanum on the one hand, on the other hand I'm a little inhibited with the cheering, because you could have done it better. This might have raised this perfume to another level. In the end, it all depends on the oud. If he didn't like it, he probably wouldn't enjoy this perfume either.
7.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Soooo...
i got to know a scent again that inspired me from the very first sprayer.
Crazy!
What a start if you spray this scent on yourself, actually in the direction of cough syrup and cola as some had already described before me, but the whole thing in extremely tasty and highly interesting.
Crazy!
I even mean borrowing from Lagerfeld Classic to recognize my first perfume at the beginning, which sounds kinda weird.
Totally crazy!
The orange and the tangerine can be perceived immediately and I have no idea if the mineral notes trigger this, but it is really good.
What's even better, that the whole composition of this fragrance harmonizes so perfectly, I can't say now what an ingredient it is, but everything seems so damn conclusive and perfectly put together.
Crazy!
From time to time I try to recognize the fine ingredients and find myrrh and also amber I mean from time to time.

In addition I find it absolutely suitable for old age, already quite noble and I believe that a business shirt stands completely excellently, besides, I thought before that that would be a pure Aushduft, which it is, however, also.
Crazy!
Personally I don't find him dark either, how often he is written, I think he has something mystical, something mysterious.
This morning at 8:00 o'clock on it made and it is now 17:00 and he is still there and radiates, although already weaker, but boy..that is once endurance.
Crazy!

He doesn't go through much change, but he doesn't need that either, because what I perceive is first class.
Thanks again to Gekko for the bottling.

He'll mess up my shopping planning in autumn, but he's allowed to, because he'll definitely come.

7.0 6.0 6.0 7.0/10

Polished Oriental
During the years old M7 had to regulate his diet to maintain the line and lower the calorie intake. This new M7 is thinner, but keeps the old vibe. Compressed, like the CD quality of sound is compressed in mp3 format.
Oud Absolu opens with mandarin, and even some rosemary of the original. Patchouli and oud give some robustness. Although called Oud Absolu, oud is not prominent. It is Westernized, yet has some depth and full bodied. The strong resins in the base are the difference from the original. OA is drier and sticky sweet at the same time.
New version of the old beast. More easy to wear. Yes, it lost some of old charm, but the essence is here.

Rating: 7/10
9.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

Classy, sophisticated, mysterious.
Only ever tried this iteration of M7 so i have no refernce re original.
This is one of the best smelling oud-dominant designers on the market. I especially love how the citrus-sweetish, chinotto opening develops into a patchouli/oud cooling middle. The trick is that it opens warm and develops to almost a cool minty patch within the first hour.
This i think makes it not just a cold weather scent, but wearable in most spring weather.
Eventually it transitions to a lovely syrupy, myrhh and oud combination.
It is a beautifully composed scent given the minimal accords used.
The one let down on my skin, is that i am luck to get 6 hours maximum longevity. Thus sits close to skin from the outset, and i find myself craving to get wafts of it as the day progresses.
At this point, i'll keep it in my collection because it lasts long enough for evening wear, and reasonably priced enough that i am not going to be stingy with sprays.

7.5 5.0 7.5 6.0/10

Miaw2
Not very woody, but great!
Wonderful designer fragrance. It's in the same level or even better than other oud fragrances that are "niche".

But i have to say actually this is not a main oud based fragrance. It's a well composed one that plays with patchouli, incense and oud, and also this has a nice resinous smell when dries down.

Sometimes i smell a cherry syrup that's not comfortable to my nose.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are medium-high.
8.0/10

As good as ...
All the incessant bleating about this not being anywhere near the original etc, etc are annoying! I snapped this up when brought in by an independent fragrance vendor (it won't be released where I live for months yet ... if at all) and all I can say is " Welcome back M7!!". Oud Absolu is every bit as fabulous as the original M7 was ... perhaps a little more refined and not so 'in your face' ... but it's evolvement has left it pretty much unscathed. Streets better than the reformulation of the clear bottle (I only ever had one bottle of the original) ... let's just hope that this time, it gains the following it deserves. Look no further if you hanker after the original ... Oud Absolu stands it's ground firmly in the face of adversity!!
7.0/10

M7 Tamed Reformulation
I went out of my way to order this considering it could be 6 to 8 months before it's arrival here in the USA, as we saw with La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum. I was hopeful that Oud Absolu would be a deeper interpretation of M7. Instead, I found it to be a reformulation in a classier bottle. If you missed out on M7 when it was widely available, this will suffice. Does it have that sillage, projection and longevity it's ancestor had? No, but still a nice fragrance. Think of M7 restrained, harnessed and tamed. Is it necessary to chase after Oud Absolu if you've already obtained the M7 original? No. Unless you're a serious bottle collector. I'll conclude this by saying, I believe the M7 original deserves the title and packaging of La Collection Oud Absolu.

by Mustang69
by JoHannes
by JoHannes
by Andreas09
by Andreas09
Achtet auf den eingekreisten Satz.;):)
Die ganze M7 Familie - zwei Generationen