Manifesto by Yves Saint Laurent
Manifesto (Yves Saint Laurent)

Manifesto is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for women and was released in 2012. The scent is sweet-floral. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Perfumers

Anne Flipo, Loc Dong

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Green notes, Blackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 11.11.2018

The face of the advertising campaign is American actress Jessica Chastain.

Bottle 9.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 8.5/10
Great scent, deplorable name
After buying this, I opened it up on the spot and sprayed it twice on myself. And holy cow! It smelled like my dad’s tomato plants! Green, green, green! I was alarmed.

About 5-10 minutes later, I kept smelling this wonderful citrusy-powdery scent. I thought it was coming from someone shopping nearby, but nope. It was me! That biting green note had completely disappeared and had become so beautiful. There’s really no way to say it other than that I love it, despite its hideous and unfortunate name, which reminds me of communism.

The green note is very sharp initially, and for that reason I was afraid to wear it to church the day after I bought it. Today I sprayed myself 4 times (back of neck/hair, front of neck, and once on each arm) to see what would happen. The green note goes away within five minutes. As it recedes, that bergamot comes forward in all of its citrusy glory, but it is tempered a bit by a sweet hit of something…maybe the currant bud? No idea because I don’t know what currant bud smells like. Slowly, the florals arrive, but they’re subtly sweet and gentle. The vanilla and tonka bean really hit hard, but not in a bad way. I would say the tonka is a bit stronger than the vanilla, but together they form a powdery and somewhat sweet powerhouse of olfactory delightfulness. I cannot pick out the sandalwood or the cedar notes on me at all.

This perfume reminds me of Ellen Tracy Bronze, which is also “citrusy-creamy-powdery.” There’s a strong Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo vibe here, too.

Not bad for a $12 clearance blind buy at Kohl's.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 6.5/10
Maybe?
It started very promising and I loved it but the the sandalwood took over. It´s not the first time. It buried all the promising notes. It´s just something with sandalwood that ruins it for me in several fragrances that I i have tested. I will try it again.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
Delicate, Sweet, 'Safe'.
Manifesto is a lovely and radiant scent. Black currant gives it a sharp and juicy quality, which seems to cool what would otherwise be a warm & woody vanilla/tonka combo. The green notes and jasmine provide a light freshness, and there's an almost glimmering or sparkling element (which is completely appropriate given the bottle design). The drydown transitions from juicy to powdery. After a while it matures quite a bit, and lends a 'come-hither' quality (but in a classy way).
Goes from Green to Scream in 2 minutes...
I bought a sample of this after looking at the notes and thinking it sounded interesting. The opening is a rather vibrant and sharp green - I like this, I think to myself. Then after maybe 2 minutes it's all about very loud vanilla and tonka. Reminds me of a very sweet vanilla flavored marshmallow. Soon enough after that, the powder kicks in and now it's a powdery vanilla flavored marshmallow scent. This smell makes me feel a little sick actually. Naturally, it has tremendous lasting power and is hard to wash off. What is YSL thinking here? Definitely not full bottle worthy for me.... heck I won't even finish these samples!
Powdery
I smelled this perfume at a Zurich department store. The sales clerk kept saying: yes its sexy, a sexy fragrance. "Sexy" was not the word I would have used to describe it.

I didn't care for the flat face-powder smell. But I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Bcars10 18 months ago
A first intense shot of tomato-plant green at the beginning challenges, but soon it's a complex floral & vanilla, w/ a citrusy-powdery vibe.+2
Bottle 9.0