Opium 2009 Eau de Parfum

Version from 2009
Opium (2009) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Fabien Baron, Stefano Pilati
Opium (2009) (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for women and was released in 2009. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
Mandarin orangeMandarin orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesMyrrhMyrrh
JasmineJasmine
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
OpoponaxOpoponax

Submitted by MiaTrost, last update on 18.08.2021.

A Feeling That Cannot Be Described By Words
It was the winter of 1985, and I will never forget it. I was 21, in my sophomore year of college, and I was still exploring my sexual tastes. Both sexes attracted me, today they would classify me as pansexual. One night I was having dinner with a classmate, and my ways impressed his elder sister. She brazenly asked me out, and we started a brief relationship that lasted all winter. I still did not have a license to drive, and so it was always she who came to pick me up with her car to go downtown in old Milan, to one of those places where you could listen to a singer performing live country music like Simon & Garfunkel for example and warm up with an Irish Coffee. Winter nights were icy and foggy in those years. At the carnival party, I remember we danced a slow, “Say you, say me” by Lionel Richie, and the scent of her was all around me. My mind has that memory still imprinted, after over thirty years, I still smell that opulent perfume that impregnated the car, her coat, her hair, and stayed on my clothes for several days. It was the impeccable go-to fragrance for the colder months. How can I forget that oriental masterpiece that had such a provocative name: Opium. It was unmistakable, it was recognizable on any woman who wore it.
Opium was born in 1977 and gets its name from the fact that its scent is narcotic and addictive, just like the deep reddish-brown coloured drug whose scent is addictive, and not because it contains notes of opiates. And today, in 2021, it has remained practically the same, maybe tamed down for the modern generation, but at least the vibe is still present, despite what a small reformulation. Opium is Opium, deep, sensual, and emotional, and from today it is also my Opium.

We now come to the olfactory notes. If you are familiar with historical scents like Shalimar and Youth Dew, Opium is in some ways the perfect blend likewise layering the two, but it is more than just a blend. Honestly, I have to say that I don’t understand how anyone can’t like this perfume! It’s been a while since I tried smelling the vintage Opium, so I forgot some things about it, but I have some of the latest one sprayed on my wrist right now, so I can review it properly! A journey into the world of dreams that awaits us accompanied by an opulent and inimitable trail. A transcendental, idyllic and elegant perfume that conveys calm and serenity. I define opium as a spicy oriental, so the spicy component is very profound and present from start to finish. The keynote is natural cinnamon, which in high doses becomes one of the most sensual scents in existence. In the beginning, I feel a mix of citrus fruits, with hesperidic notes of bergamot and mandarin. It contrasts this tart aspect with a more floral one, and there is a very perceptible note of the lily-of-the-valley. There is a morsel of aldehydic notes, which create a sort of fresh and powdery accord.

The heart comes denser and oily, with the dark and pungent notes of carnation that stress the spiciness, the brighter ones of jasmine, softened by the softer and warmer notes of resinous myrrh. Although the recent version does not feature the iris, I perceive a strong dusty and powdery accord.

The more it approaches the dry down, the more it turns mellifluous and balsamic, overflowing with greedy vanilla balanced by dirtier patchouli. To this combination are added the shades of amber mixed with those of aromatic, smokey, powdery, and resinous opoponax. If you have a trained nose, you will catch the smokiness of the olibanum, which permeates and refreshes every part of this perfume. When I smell this scent, I think about church service on holidays because it has that spicy incense aroma. It is because of the presence of myrrh, amber and opoponax, which to me are just very overbearing.

A perfume that you can smell and that does not go unnoticed, to be avoided when you are in a small and closed environment or you have to spend many hours in contact with other people, not suitable for a day in the office. I consider it a winter scent for social evenings and captivating nights. From a longevity point of view, this perfume is damn great because it lasted so many hours! It stays on the clothes, and when I smelled my wrist at the end of the day, it still felt great! I think it’s so gorgeous and perfect that I just want to go on smelling it all day! Probably most of you know Opium, but for younger readers, if you’ve never tried it, I think you should! It’s just an admirable classic perfume that doesn’t have the same sweet, gourmand feeling of the modern creations.

-Elysium
Alilove
Mysterious card-telling in a gypsy wagon with the fortune teller at the fair
This fragrance seduces me into mysterious monstrous shady worlds, where one knows how to light the finest incense sticks, read ancient tarot cards by warm candlelight, strike the gong sonorously and reveal the secret hidden from a glass ball. For me this scent is incredibly mystical and profound. I immediately take in the spicy notes of myrrh, yearning jasmine and seductive amber, which remind me of the smell of ancient sacred scriptures in architecturally stunning buildings. The bergamot interferes only very shyly and provides a slightly sour fruity note. The seductive amber ensures that the mixture does not develop old-fashioned, but gives the wearer an unapproachable, mysterious touch. The Opoponax (gum resin) is often used as incense in the esoteric scene and makes me think of an oriental aftershave and is probably the main reason for a slightly wooden smoky aroma. The shelf life is very good and after a longer period of use the fine cuddly spicy vanilla can be perceived well. The fragrance is rather unisex for me and its unusual aura appeals more to women who like to go through life unconventionally and don't want to be defined by the masses.

Just gorgeous
I am usually more a sweet vanilla balsamic kind of woman and for most parts do not care for frags that carry a strong masculine vibe. But Opium is one of the few exceptions. I think it is gorgeous. This is a juice I also would love to smell on a man. I bought Opium man for my man for his birthday, and now we both wear our Opiums for special occasions and love it on each other. I have the shower gel and the body lotions, and usually just go the extra mile with a full set if I really adore a fragrance. It is very comforting and gets me into a kind of mellow mood.

NOT Opium
Reviewing a bottle that I purchased in 2014 and, somewhat unfairly, comparing it to vintage & anything pre-2009.

This is NOT really Opium. It is an intruder. This intruder is welcomed by me, nonetheless.

It's powdery, very very powdery. Very warm and very sensual, and not at all poignant. It makes me feel sexy, loud and proud. I wear it to bed, but not every night. I have around 25mL left of 90mL bottle left, and have had the same amount for about a year. Not sure if I'll be rebuying, but the ride was FUN

MasterLi
Grown up and in control...
Few designer perfumes today still have the power to give such an aura of "in control" than Opium by Yves Saint-Laurent. I am reviewing the modern Eau de Parfum here.

Opium is a very "grown up" fragrance to my nose, because it doesn't have the same sweet, innocent, sugary vibe of the modern female-marketed perfumes of today. It has a host of spices and resins. I get a lot of cloves and myrrh and oppoponax, with a juicy mandarin orange and soft lily-of-the-valley in the opening. I do detect carnation but more of the jasmine in the middle, with heavy, dominant amber in the base.

I would say the differences between this one and the vintage is that the vintage (to me) is the intense version, I would say. This is still a legend, but maybe tamed down for the modern generation. Absolutely wearable if you like dark, sensual, smoky, spicy fragrances. Not bad.

Earth Lore.
Judging by the name and gorgeous bottle design, Opium is exactly what I expected it to be: Deep and smoky, ancient and exotic... It immediately evokes imagery of ancient Egypt, Myrrh and Frankincense. Even though I've only just tried Opium for the first time, it's extremely nostalgic for me. It smells exactly like 'Earth Lore' - The smoky, incense-laden shop I frequented as a curious teenager, which was stocked with small Egyptian & Buddhist trinkets, crystals, and books on witchcraft. Opium has the same mystical elements, and is an utterly phenomenal aromatic experience.

Isn't it over yet?
EDT version from 2012 (I believe)
Spice, Zing *sneeze*.
It's very powdery in the opening but it is also pleasant. I grew tired of this scent quickly. There's almost too much going on. It's a mash of notes and I am finding really difficult to pick any one out and the scent quickly overstays it's welcome.

It's very potent with NUCLEAR sillage and a descent longevity.

Jun
2014

PolarrfoxPolarrfox 2 years ago
Absolutely BEST spicy, oriental perfume for women. It IS true. It is real opium. Spicy, maybe heavy, and playing with your senses. Amazing!

by Raquelas
by Raquelas
by Sommernacht
by Sommernacht
by Blödel
Ich wünsche allen ein frohes Weihnachtsfest.
by Aggeliki
by WHISKARING
by Blaustern
by Blaustern

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent