Opium (2009) Eau de Parfum

Version from 2009
Opium (2009) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design: Fabien Baron, Stefano Pilati

Opium (2009) (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for women and was released in 2009. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesMyrrh, Jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Opoponax

Submitted by MiaTrost, last update on 12.09.2019

Just gorgeous
I am usually more a sweet vanilla balsamic kind of woman and for most parts do not care for frags that carry a strong masculine vibe. But Opium is one of the few exceptions. I think it is gorgeous. This is a juice I also would love to smell on a man. I bought Opium man for my man for his birthday, and now we both wear our Opiums for special occasions and love it on each other. I have the shower gel and the body lotions, and usually just go the extra mile with a full set if I really adore a fragrance. It is very comforting and gets me into a kind of mellow mood.
9.0 5.0 10.0 9.5/10

NOT Opium
Reviewing a bottle that I purchased in 2014 and, somewhat unfairly, comparing it to vintage & anything pre-2009.

This is NOT really Opium. It is an intruder. This intruder is welcomed by me, nonetheless.

It's powdery, very very powdery. Very warm and very sensual, and not at all poignant. It makes me feel sexy, loud and proud. I wear it to bed, but not every night. I have around 25mL left of 90mL bottle left, and have had the same amount for about a year. Not sure if I'll be rebuying, but the ride was FUN
5.0 5.0 7.5 9.0/10

MasterLi
Grown up and in control...
Few designer perfumes today still have the power to give such an aura of "in control" than Opium by Yves Saint-Laurent. I am reviewing the modern Eau de Parfum here.

Opium is a very "grown up" fragrance to my nose, because it doesn't have the same sweet, innocent, sugary vibe of the modern female-marketed perfumes of today. It has a host of spices and resins. I get a lot of cloves and myrrh and oppoponax, with a juicy mandarin orange and soft lily-of-the-valley in the opening. I do detect carnation but more of the jasmine in the middle, with heavy, dominant amber in the base.

I would say the differences between this one and the vintage is that the vintage (to me) is the intense version, I would say. This is still a legend, but maybe tamed down for the modern generation. Absolutely wearable if you like dark, sensual, smoky, spicy fragrances. Not bad.
10.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

Earth Lore.
Judging by the name and gorgeous bottle design, Opium is exactly what I expected it to be: Deep and smoky, ancient and exotic... It immediately evokes imagery of ancient Egypt, Myrrh and Frankincense. Even though I've only just tried Opium for the first time, it's extremely nostalgic for me. It smells exactly like 'Earth Lore' - The smoky, incense-laden shop I frequented as a curious teenager, which was stocked with small Egyptian & Buddhist trinkets, crystals, and books on witchcraft. Opium has the same mystical elements, and is an utterly phenomenal aromatic experience.
7.5 10.0 10.0 5.0/10

Isn't it over yet?
EDT version from 2012 (I believe)
Spice, Zing *sneeze*.
It's very powdery in the opening but it is also pleasant. I grew tired of this scent quickly. There's almost too much going on. It's a mash of notes and I am finding really difficult to pick any one out and the scent quickly overstays it's welcome.

It's very potent with NUCLEAR sillage and a descent longevity.

Jun
2014

Polarrfox 42 days ago
Absolutely BEST spicy, oriental perfume for women. It IS true. It is real opium. Spicy, maybe heavy, and playing with your senses. Amazing!

by Sommernacht
by Sommernacht
by Blödel
Ich wünsche allen ein frohes Weihnachtsfest.
by Ginger