Opium pour Homme 1995 Eau de Toilette

Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 1995. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum)

Top Notes Top NotesBlackcurrantBlackcurrant Star aniseStar anise
Heart Notes Heart NotesPepperPepper GalangalGalangal
Base Notes Base NotesAtlas cedarAtlas cedar Bourbon vanillaBourbon vanilla Tolu balmTolu balm

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 26.05.2022.

Novocaine
Opium, the sin of the skin

Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDT, is a piece of art of perfumery, synonymous with masculine luxury. Please do yourself a favor and add it to your collection until it's too late. Warm, alluring, Opium Homme is a creation of the house of YSL, a response equivalent to the perfume launched for women, well known by the community.

I don't know if he wanted to be a success from the beginning, but over time he gained his respect and now is a reference of world perfumery. It is so well composed and the quality of the ingredients is so good that even a less trained nose can discover almost every note.

For me, YSL Opium Homme is the perfume that highlighted the best note of bourbon vanilla, and the combination with blackcurrants makes it particularly syrupy, sweet and slightly aromatic. The star anise in the opening and the pepper give it some spicyness, tilting the balance towards to the masculine side.
Tolu balm, cedar and vanilla bourbon together bring the scent into the category of woody spicy orientals. Very chic, Opium creates the addiction, having a special refinement typical of france perfumery, the transition from one note to another being done smoothly. The scent, as you would expect, has no sharp, no rough edges.. . Vanilla practically covers him with a soft blanket, creating a feeling of addiction from which his name is probably derived. Lascivious and seductive, Opium has an elegant and masculine touch, a little sober marking a high degree of complexity.

The performance is amazing considering that we are talking about a fragrance that has passed through several formulations over time. YSL probably wanted to keep this jewel of the senses intact. It lasts on the skin for about 8-10 hours with a sillage and a projection of over two hours. The scent does not change much over time which is a good thing because you will have the beautiful feeling of the opening until the end. As for the bottle glass, elegant and classic, typically masculine, typical of the '90s.

It is an elegant, seductive, extroverted perfume that offers and demands attention. Wear it to special events and you will feel special. Be careful to match it with a correct, distinct outfit and it will shine. Otherwise you will have ironic smiles.
The fragrance must be well known and feded with good taste.

A superb autumn perfume, in which you want to immerse yourself, induces a feeling of well-being, it dresses you in some pleasant aromas that you would never want to get rid of. Jacques Cavallier created here a masterpiece of perfumery, a painting of aromas. If it had appeared today, it would no doubt have been part of the Le Vestiaire de Parfums collection.

Essay on Exoticism
One of the many colognes that I foolishly ignored during and after the launch was Yves Saint Laurent’s Opium Pour Homme. I don’t remember trying the fragrance in the past, and I missed it while loving and knowing its female counterpart very well, but I think what prompted me to buy it was reading the reviews that precede me, both for the EDT and EDP versions. Yes, silly as it may sound, I simply liked the way other people outlined this masterpiece. And now I can state it is divine. Having not smelled the original, the release I have is incredibly appealing.

To begin with, let me say that despite its name, there is no trace of opium poppy in the notes or accords. The name just suggests the mystery and exoticism of the Far East, and that’s it. Opium pour Homme Eau de Toilette and Opium (1977) Parfum are two perfumes apart. I do not get any affinity between the two right off the bat. If, on the one hand, it disappoints me a little, I like it because this allows me to own two masterpieces and not two copies, each a reflection of the other. Opium pour Homme is oriental, spicy, mellow, classic, powerful, with a spicy and powdery duel. Compared to Opium, the masculine one is more elegant less aggressive. Perhaps it takes off all too harshly, but then it lends mild and cosy.

Opium pour Homme unfolds with an explosion of the powdery and acidic accord, made of bergamot and lemon, and I bet lemongrass, so clearly noticeable on my skin. The citrus is so potent that, for a moment, I wonder if Opium pour Homme was a scent for hot weather. I let the harshness lower slightly, and a light, fruity, woody note emerges with a somewhat animalic touch. This is black currant, with its bittersweet forest green vibe. I feel it is very fruity, juicy, mellowed, and it could cause the initial citrus accents. This captivating scent interacts with the spicier star anise, which goes well with it, but doesn’t get on the scene, as happens in renowned powerhouses like Azzaro pour Homme Eau de Toilette. Here the nuance of anise is tame, like Gai Mattiolo Uomo Eau de Toilette, for example, not cloying or annoying. I even seem to catch the purplish lavender blossom.

A heart full of fresh spiciness comes after a bunch of minutes. The black currant note quickly fades into the background. Here the key actors are galega, which is nothing but a variety of the ginger root, and my beloved Szechuan pepper, all sweet and piquant all the way. That triplet provides an exotic spiciness and freshness to what otherwise could become a warm, almost medicinal mess.

The more it progresses, the more I notice the balmy edge and how its thick warmth envelops the entire concoction. Thanks to the powdery vanilla, it takes on a sweeter aroma, which is wrapped in that same balsamic note of the tolu and sitting on top of a cedar base. The tolu balm gives it a syrupy sweet, spicy smell, whereas the cedar provides more strength and occasionally releases its pencil shavings essence. A powdery and balmy trail remains stuck to my body. I think I have a penchant for resinoids, be they plant exudates or animal secretions. I think so because perfumes based on these ingredients, like tolu balm, give me a feeling of well-being, inner calm, comfort.

All in all, Opium pour Homme is excellently blended, never tilting the balance too much over the edge. Projection wise, the sillage is excellent before settling down to more moderate wear, and the longevity is average or above, as it lasts many hours, with no problem. If the original suits nightwear, the recent release mostly suits the daytime and evening out. The spicy and balmy facets make me reach for it in cold weather; it is utterly great all the way. What I like most about Opium pour Homme is that it genuinely embodies what I think of when I hear the words exotic, oriental, gummy. Let me give it some more tries, and I am sure I will find out more about this.

I base the review on a 100ml bottle I have owned since January 2022.

-Elysium

Weird perfection
First time I smelled this one, in the beginning of my journey, I immediately loved it and understood the name of it. It hooked me, completely, in a weird and, yet, familiar way.

Because I started my journey in my late 20's, there's many fragrances that I'd probably smelled years and years ago but don't know. And when I started smelling classics, something clicked in my mind. Some familiar feeling of knowing that smell. And for some reason, those fragrances always became favorites of mine.

This happened with Opium pour homme, as I said before, and with other YSL classics, curiously. Jazz and Kouros, for example. Digging into the fragrance, composed by Jacques Cavallier, this is the counterpart of the mega successful fragrance from 78. The idea was to create a masculine version of it but, not necessarily, similar in smell but in concept. A very addictive masculine!

Cavalier, at that time, had some hits in the industry. L'eau D'Issey (both genres), JPG Classique, Lancôme Pôeme and Pasha de Cartier. This one didn't reached the level of L'eau D'Issey or Classique but it's fantastic, in my opinion, and one of my favorite scents ever.

It's a interesting but weird combination of fresh wild fruits (blackcurrant), vanilla and cedarwood. Turning this fragrance in Oriental category with a spicy touch. Star anise is listed as a note and I detect it mixed with blackcurrant in the opening. But the blackcurrant will be there until the end giving the weird and exotic element to this fragrance. Sweet and fresh, a bit plastic sometimes, a bit woody and really addictive and masculine.

I have the parfum version also, which differs in the Vanilla dosage and the performance. More sweet and enveloping and ultra long-lasting (specially the older version in that great blue bottle) but less fresh. I prefer the EDT for fall and spring and the EDP for colder winter days. The EDP seems to be discontinued so, take the EDT and you're fine.

Longevity is good (7h easily) and the projection is average. I think that this is a Greta masculine oriental, with classic masculine vibes but yet, modern and, specially, very unique. Cavallier is a nose that I respect and like a lot and here is one of his creations that I cherish the most. I can't say that is a masterpiece, but, in my world, is a homerun.

5/5
A feast for Orient lovers
Opium Pour Homme EdT

Published in the mid-90s of the last century's, more precisely in 1995. A decade that shaped me very much. School enrollment, first consciously perceived World Cup (1994 in the U.S.), first kiss / first "girlfriend", for the first time by an accident very close to death came... Many first times...

Perfume technically it is also the decade with which I associate the first intense and very most private experiences. Be it "Hugo Boss Bottled", "Armani Acqua di Gio", or "Kenzo Pour Homme". All of them fragrances that I constantly noticed as a child and teenager at the time of their new releases in my environment on relatives, acquaintances, etc.. For that reason alone, I still like them so much. The only thing I never came into contact with was the "YSL Opium Pour Homme". There was no one in my environment who used this perfume.

I was able to get to know it myself last year, but it only moved in some time ago. And what a terrific perfume this is nevertheless...
[...]

Behind the brand - as is usual with designer fragrances - is a fashion designer. Born in Algeria in 1936, the company's founder Yves Mathieu Saint Laurent was considered one of the great exceptional talents in the world of beauty at a young age and was supported on his way especially by his mother. Before opening his own haute couture house in Paris in 1961, he became the youngest ever head designer in 1957 at the age of just 21.

The world of the Yves Saint Laurent brand is marked by extraordinary passion, creativity and imagination. In the fashion world, he had a style-invigorating effect many times and is still considered a luminary today - after his death - especially in the elegant and upscale fashion for the ladies. The success story of the house continues consequently until today...

[...]

Its first fragrance was launched in 1964 with the name "Y" as a women's perfume.

"Opium Pour Homme" on the other hand is in the men's segment Saint Laurent's for me probably one of the best (if not the best) ever and one of those treasures, where I can smell out almost all the notes and recognize a real course.

At the beginning you smell quite clearly the anise note, which is often said to have a licorice-like aroma. And yes, partly I would confirm this. In conjunction with the currant, however, which is perceived quite discreetly in the background, this duo of the top note makes a fresh-spicy aromatic prelude.

The intense spices let the fruity nuance of the currant, however, hardly appear, because they retain the upper hand with the spicy ginger and black pepper in the further course.

To the base, the perfume gets with the so-called. Bourbon vanilla its oriental chord. The name owes the usually known spice vanilla of the island "La Réunion", an overseas department of France's located east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean, where it comes from and is cultivated. Until 1848, the island was called "Île Bourbon" This vanilla makes the "Opium pH EdT" a beguiling seducer. Too sweet is the base I find not, because a slightly resinous-woody note I perceive as well, which I attribute to the tolu balsam and cedar.

[...]

Since the weather conditions are now reasonably in line with the season, it is currently often used. Because especially in dingy, wet-cold weather, this perfume gives me a very pleasant protective Wohlfühlaura.

So for the current colder season, I think it is perfectly suited. This kind of fragrances unfold mMn especially in cooler temperatures excellent and fully exploit their potential.

Older versions I have not met until now, so I can not draw any serious comparisons to those. However, the current version is so strong in the durability (9-10 h on my skin) as well as in the sillage, so I assume that this perfume fortunately has probably not fallen victim to any or hardly any reformulations so far.

Except for the cap made of plastic, which comes across a little cheap for my perception, I find the bottle in its narrow elongated shape and generally slightly old-fashioned appearance very nice, which also lies well in the hand. The sprayer is excellent and leaves an excellent scent jet when spraying.

[...]
Conclusion:

Probably very many users already know the fragrance. But those who are very inclined to spicy Orientals with a slight 'oldschool vibe' and have not yet had him under the nose, I would highly recommend this ingenious perfume.

One can expect a distinctive and unique fragrance, which is equipped mMn with a pronounced recognition value and has no equal.
I claim namely that you would always recognize him after the first acquaintance.

An immensely attractive and sensual perfume, which bristles with loud self-confidence only so.

[...]
Thank you to everyone who has followed my words!

The dated gem
Well balanced juice in my opinion. That said, the base of this fragrance is a little dated.

I really enjoy wearing her on a cool autumn evening, for example when going out to dinner. It is not a compliment puller but rather a mature, well thought out and classy fragrance that you mainly enjoy yourself.

So, if I have to mention a disadvantage, it would be that she does not smell very original. Again the scent was very well composed and thought out at the time but today it loses its points on this.
My entry
As a child, I often smelled my father's perfumes and discovered my passion for them early on. At some point, I guess I was 11 or 12, I bought a cheap Playboy perfume at Rossmann. Today I would demand compensation if I had to smell it again. Anyway, one day my father had bought "Opium pour homme". When he went out on Saturday night, I would often sneak up to his closet and spray it on myself. I would then sit in my room all evening and enjoy the scent.

About the scent:
Everything begins with a sweet, black currant and clearly recognizable star anise.
Later then joins a small touch of pepper, which I myself but only very weakly perceive.
Then the real star comes into play, namely the bourbon vanilla. Warm, sweet and creamy it embeds everything in itself and lifts every time anew my mood.

Opium pour homme by YSL was then also my first own bottle of a serious perfume. 2 bottles are now empty, whether a 3rd comes I do not know yet. Since so many emotions and thoughts of me hang on this fragrance, I will probably not get along for a long time without him.

The durability and sillage is really good, it brings one well through the day. For me, one of the few fragrances that can / should really be worn exclusively on cold days, otherwise it could quickly become too much.

YSL has brought here a great fragrance on the market, in which, if at all, only little is to be criticized: the bottle is really not "se yellow from se egg" ;)
Sweet masculinity
One of the few sweet men's fragrances that I like.
Opium pour homme is sweet, but at the same time has a masculine aggressiveness that is unparalleled. The top notes are brutal. This fragrance is not a quiet tread, but an olfactory steamroller. Despite the sweetish pace almost perverse and obscene. Definitely too intrusive to be suitable for the office. But also a room-filling statement, next to which most other fragrances pale.
Volker1964
Wonderful winter scent in the past and today
After all, this fragrance has been on the market for over 20 years. It was certainly already revised, that is, modernized. It didn't hurt him. It became a modern classic that is still convincing today. About the fragrance itself:
Top note
It begins fresh, spicy, slightly powdery and elegant. Well balanced and pleasant to look at.
Heart note
Here it becomes drier/powdery . It's getting heavier too. I also perceive a pepper note, not too strong. Ginger rounds here, angehm and not overdone.
Base
Vanilla is added and skilfully balances the fragrance. It becomes somewhat drier and more intense. Pleasant spice remains until the end. It does not weaken and does not become too dry. Very pleasant in my nose,
Conclusion
Modernization has definitely not harmed this fragrance. On the contrary. In the original version it was clearly heavier, more powdery and drier.
It develops very pleasantly from beginning to end, always accompanied by a solid depth and power. It is quite complex and very rich in content. It contains more ingredients, as I can describe here. Whenever I wear/use it, I discover new things. For me an absolute winter scent. Of course I like to wear it in winter, in my free time. He still convinces me today. The shelf life is easily 10-12 hours for me. A welcome / fragrant regular in my collection.

It came from...
His heart was still beating.
Quietly and undaunted, it chugged its way to itself.
Far, so far, so inconceivable, terrible, inconceivable far
was the path it had taken.
Further than a poor little human creature
it could ever imagine.
But now it was there.
His energy was there and she was alive.
And so it had a very, very tiny little bit
of all the unheard-of, never seen, odourless things
across the abysses of many galaxies.
To finally pass it on.
For it had found a host by whom it took shape
could. A human child named Belletrud.
Now it could spread.
Now they could also give it a name,
one that perhaps reminded a little of the
who, like herself, had seen things you can't name.
Like Jimi Hendrix or Syd Barret or Ian Curtis. And a few others.
Opium.
Not an easy name. More like a makeshift.
But better than none.
And now they could also find words for the elements,
that worked in him.
They might call it an anise. Jojannesberry. Vanilla.
Would it compare to their kitchen spices.
Would use words like "Orient".
Would discover an aura in it that one partly spicy,
can call it partly soft and also sweet.
Maybe they'd find it "strong," too.
On some days.
She'd be surprised it didn't always seem the same.
Some might like exactly that.
Also something balsamic, comforting and pleasantly foreign
they would perceive, at the same time an amazing
Contradiction of childlike fruitfulness and a certain
Strictness of strange woods, strange resins.
And a strange, ambiguous, mysterious mysticism,
but also a curious freshness.
All at once and yet not confused.
How sorted and brought into harmony by an incomprehensible
ordering power.
Perhaps this power was also in the fact that each individual
its uniqueness, its uniqueness.
The complete superfluousness of any adjustment.
Or maybe in letting strange questions sprout up.
"Might a great part of the misfortune be in the fact when you're happy?"
"Why are the holes the main thing on a sieve?"
All over it would reveal its secret but never.
Maybe that was his secret.
Or a part of it.
And a part of you.
His heart's still beating.
Quietly and fearlessly it chugs along.
(Like yours.)
Oldie but Goldie
I'm going to join the comrades here. Can I allow it, since I finally call this fragrance my own now.
Since I've been on the road here for quite some time and always get inspired, I eventually came across this scent.
Since I do not like to order fragrances over the Internet (topic plagiarism etc.), I have ordered this in my perfumery. After about 4 weeks waiting and delivery time the nice lady has finally announced that I could pick up my order.
It was my very first blind purchase. I only ordered this one through the recessions here. Unfortunately, I have to say that the error devil crept in when I ordered it. Originally, the EDP was to be delivered. I got the EDT.
What was again not bad, because I then because of delivery time and wrong delivery 20% discount.

Good business and off you go home. Because first of all the pack from the outside on me to let work and then opened and looked at me the bottle. I don't know why, but somehow it seemed to me that somewhere in the Orient in 1865 I was sitting in an opium cave and had just got the daily ration.

The yellowish liquid swabbed slightly back and forth and I pressed on the spray head. First, apply a spray to the hand and let it take effect. You never know exactly how the fragrance develops.

With me it has developed from a light peppery start into a warm, dark and heavy fragrance.

This fragrance is definitely not for the disco or for the younger audience here. There's plenty of other good scents.

This fragrance is rather something for the Christmas market in the evening, or when you cuddle with your dearest on the couch. Whereby one should spray very carefully, because otherwise the point of no return is quickly reached and the smell kills one.

The durability is outstanding. I noticed the scent on my jacket for days afterwards. The vanilla comes into its own after the peppery start.

Now that the cold and dark season is coming, this fragrance can be applied more often. I'd rather not take this one in summer. It's too heavy for that.

Personally, I think the fragrance is very good. And you can see once again that older fragrances are in no way inferior to the new mainstream fragrances like Sauvage, Eros, 1Million etc. or can easily put them in your pocket.

Finerthings8Finerthings8 1 year ago
Still one of the best vanilla scent out there.It is better than many so called niche parfums.Iconic fragrance,still enjoying after 15 years
DPArtistDPArtist 2 years ago
Conjures up images of luxurious dept stores (or maybe a casino) in London & Paris during the 80s & early 90s. Oddly not really dated though!
HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 years ago
A great oriental spicy fragrance. A unique combination between black pepper, vanilla, cedar and blackcurrant. Masculine and addictive!
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 years ago
The blackcurrant with the Bourbon vanilla is so addictive. It's spicy, sweet, cozy, manly and long lasting.
One of the designer perfumes.
HubertGHubertG 2 years ago
top 10 lifetime fragrances, masterpiece, so different, strong anise and subtil vanilla which I love, hot on my skin, age doesn't matter
AspvlAspvl 3 years ago
Thank you grandpa for wearing Opium (and Kouros too). Elegant, sweet, powdery, enveloping, a true masterpiece along with the EDP version.
AmberScentAmberScent 3 years ago
My 3d flask of Opium stands in the front of my perfume shelf as enjoyable as ever. A blend of fruit, wood, vanilla & balm to make me happy.
IanFriedrichIanFriedrich 3 years ago
I just went in a fragrance store. I tried it, fall in love with it immediately. & I buy it without hesitation. 1 of the real classic gem.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 4 years ago
Lisbon airport duty free 23 years ago. Someone near me tried a fabulous spicy fragrance.
My first YSL OPIUM purchase happened 5 min later.

.. Kuscheln mit ‚Beauty of Livermere‘  - (so heißt der Mohn) .....
by IrisNobile
by Irini
by Irini
by Pistazieneis
Eine Rast mit schönen Blüten!
by Salva
by AngelinBlack
by Jens73
by Jens73

Popular by Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2002) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2011) / M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent