Opium pour Homme 1995Eau de Toilette

Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 1995. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum)

Top Notes Top NotesBlackcurrant, Star anise
Heart Notes Heart NotesGinger, Pepper
Base Notes Base NotesAtlas cedar, Bourbon vanilla, Tolu balm

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.10.2020.

Volker1964
Wonderful winter scent in the past and today
After all, this fragrance has been on the market for over 20 years. It was certainly already revised, that is, modernized. It didn't hurt him. It became a modern classic that is still convincing today. About the fragrance itself:
Top note
It begins fresh, spicy, slightly powdery and elegant. Well balanced and pleasant to look at.
Heart note
Here it becomes drier/powdery . It's getting heavier too. I also perceive a pepper note, not too strong. Ginger rounds here, angehm and not overdone.
Base
Vanilla is added and skilfully balances the fragrance. It becomes somewhat drier and more intense. Pleasant spice remains until the end. It does not weaken and does not become too dry. Very pleasant in my nose,
Conclusion
Modernization has definitely not harmed this fragrance. On the contrary. In the original version it was clearly heavier, more powdery and drier.
It develops very pleasantly from beginning to end, always accompanied by a solid depth and power. It is quite complex and very rich in content. It contains more ingredients, as I can describe here. Whenever I wear/use it, I discover new things. For me an absolute winter scent. Of course I like to wear it in winter, in my free time. He still convinces me today. The shelf life is easily 10-12 hours for me. A welcome / fragrant regular in my collection.

It came from...
His heart was still beating.
Quietly and undaunted, it chugged its way to itself.
Far, so far, so inconceivable, terrible, inconceivable far
was the path it had taken.
Further than a poor little human creature
it could ever imagine.
But now it was there.
His energy was there and she was alive.
And so it had a very, very tiny little bit
of all the unheard-of, never seen, odourless things
across the abysses of many galaxies.
To finally pass it on.
For it had found a host by whom it took shape
could. A human child named Belletrud.
Now it could spread.
Now they could also give it a name,
one that perhaps reminded a little of the
who, like herself, had seen things you can't name.
Like Jimi Hendrix or Syd Barret or Ian Curtis. And a few others.
Opium.
Not an easy name. More like a makeshift.
But better than none.
And now they could also find words for the elements,
that worked in him.
They might call it an anise. Jojannesberry. Vanilla.
Would it compare to their kitchen spices.
Would use words like "Orient".
Would discover an aura in it that one partly spicy,
can call it partly soft and also sweet.
Maybe they'd find it "strong," too.
On some days.
She'd be surprised it didn't always seem the same.
Some might like exactly that.
Also something balsamic, comforting and pleasantly foreign
they would perceive, at the same time an amazing
Contradiction of childlike fruitfulness and a certain
Strictness of strange woods, strange resins.
And a strange, ambiguous, mysterious mysticism,
but also a curious freshness.
All at once and yet not confused.
How sorted and brought into harmony by an incomprehensible
ordering power.
Perhaps this power was also in the fact that each individual
its uniqueness, its uniqueness.
The complete superfluousness of any adjustment.
Or maybe in letting strange questions sprout up.
"Might a great part of the misfortune be in the fact when you're happy?"
"Why are the holes the main thing on a sieve?"
All over it would reveal its secret but never.
Maybe that was his secret.
Or a part of it.
And a part of you.
His heart's still beating.
Quietly and fearlessly it chugs along.
(Like yours.)
Oldie but Goldie
I'm going to join the comrades here. Can I allow it, since I finally call this fragrance my own now.
Since I've been on the road here for quite some time and always get inspired, I eventually came across this scent.
Since I do not like to order fragrances over the Internet (topic plagiarism etc.), I have ordered this in my perfumery. After about 4 weeks waiting and delivery time the nice lady has finally announced that I could pick up my order.
It was my very first blind purchase. I only ordered this one through the recessions here. Unfortunately, I have to say that the error devil crept in when I ordered it. Originally, the EDP was to be delivered. I got the EDT.
What was again not bad, because I then because of delivery time and wrong delivery 20% discount.

Good business and off you go home. Because first of all the pack from the outside on me to let work and then opened and looked at me the bottle. I don't know why, but somehow it seemed to me that somewhere in the Orient in 1865 I was sitting in an opium cave and had just got the daily ration.

The yellowish liquid swabbed slightly back and forth and I pressed on the spray head. First, apply a spray to the hand and let it take effect. You never know exactly how the fragrance develops.

With me it has developed from a light peppery start into a warm, dark and heavy fragrance.

This fragrance is definitely not for the disco or for the younger audience here. There's plenty of other good scents.

This fragrance is rather something for the Christmas market in the evening, or when you cuddle with your dearest on the couch. Whereby one should spray very carefully, because otherwise the point of no return is quickly reached and the smell kills one.

The durability is outstanding. I noticed the scent on my jacket for days afterwards. The vanilla comes into its own after the peppery start.

Now that the cold and dark season is coming, this fragrance can be applied more often. I'd rather not take this one in summer. It's too heavy for that.

Personally, I think the fragrance is very good. And you can see once again that older fragrances are in no way inferior to the new mainstream fragrances like Sauvage, Eros, 1Million etc. or can easily put them in your pocket.

Opium Homme Review
I have a bottle produced in 1999 and a bottle produced in 2017. All of them are EDT and there is no difference in performance and sillage. The 2017 version seems a bit brighter and seems to have more ginger. But the scent doesn't make much difference either. Both are very good and induce others to respond.

I also had a bottle of EDP I used before (purchased around 96-97). In my memories, it's no surprise that EDP has a heavier and stronger scent, but that's why it's harder to wear. So in my judgment, EDT seems to be better.

The only downside to Opium Homme is that it's so unique and unusual that it's hard to find a match. Forget the division of seasons, time zones, and uses suggested by Parfumo. Opium Homme is always something you can wear, but not for everyone.

I wore Opium Homme almost every day when I was working in an art magazine, and I've always been praised. When I ran an ordinary trading company, it was hard to wear it even for a single day. Now that I bake pottery every weekend, I can wear it occasionally.

These days I like Tom Ford's fragrances the most, but I don't hesitate to rate Opium Homme, which is a relatively much lower price, at the same level. This is a very strong, long staying, relaxing and ecstatic mood. However, I recommend that you try it on your skin before you purchaise. As already mentioned, it's not for everyone.
My Sunday scent
I own Opium pour Homme for 2-3 years. The EDP is praised even more here, but I bought the EDT. 50ml of this classic from 1995. My bottle is still very well filled, because he never really made it to the use. Nevertheless: Jacques Cavallier-Belletrud has created a great fragrance here.

One at a time: The bottle is quite oldschool and suggests a vintage scent. At 23, he's also more of an oldie. The fragrance has a strong 90s touch, if not 80s touch. Even though I am anything but a vintage fan I like this fragrance very much. A great fragrance description with fragrances I can not give here so much. It's one of those scents where I barely smell scents. From the pyramid I only perceive anise, which is very present at the start. Also the Tolu balm from the base provides a cultivated pleasant touch. Otherwise I feel this fragrance rather consistently oriental with strong spice paired with an ethereal touch. I don't see the capital bourbon vanilla. Possibly a subtle sweetness that rounds off the base well.
All in all a beautiful fragrance, especially for mature men and vintage fans. I also like this creation, but I have never worn it outside the house. The desire and the mood was never there. Especially since this fragrance is also very intrusive and I have difficulties to find a suitable occasion. Everyday/job? No. Nightlife? No. Free time? No. And I can't think of any other occasion like this. I like to wear it on Sundays or evenings when I'm not up to anything great. But everyone has such scents, which he likes but rather wears for himself. He definitely has style and elegance.

As already mentioned, the performance is terrific. Almost too good, the Sillage. The shelf life is also very good here. You should be careful for all indoor activities. And you should keep in mind that this is rather a scent for cold days.

The Opium Sunday noon sweet oblivion
It's Sunday afternoon somewhere between Savannah and Baton Rouge. There's nothing like southern comfort, wearing a tuxedo, eating vanilla cupcakes and drinking a spicy sweet iced liqueur. It's sweet, it's strong, it's different, it's elegant, it's attractive.
It's Saint Laurent, it's Opium!

Opium is a very impressive fragrance.
In the begining there was "Opium Eau de Parfum" (1993), "Opium Eau de Toilette" for women (1977) and Opium Eau de Toilette for men (1995). It got complicated later on with several flankers both for women and men.
My favourite "Opium Pour Homme" has always been the original EDT for being more masculine, subtle and wearable. I had several flasks along the years and currently have only the last reformulation. My memory must trick me with the continuous use of this fragrance and I don't recall if the EDT first version was very different from the current one, or not.
Twenty three years went by and I am still in love with this fragrance.
I know it's not as fashionable any longer as it was twodecades ago. Probably younger men consider it old fashion either because they prefer the new wave of "Bleu", "Nuit", "Dylan" and "Sauvage", or because they never tried this YSL rough diamond just for being a release from the previous century.
Well... young guys out there!... give it a try! It is at least as oriental and spicy as many expensive modern offers, if not more.
It opens with a very strong sweet blackcurrant note and an also strong star anise that adds a pungent sweet licorice note to the fragrance opening. The opening sweet strong notes endure till the beginning of the drydown.
The heart notes give you two spices to embrace a bit the initial sweetness. The black pepper note is slightly stronger than the blue ginger although the latter kind of gives an Eastern tonality to the fragrance.
The bottom notes propose you a very strong and pungent bourbon vanilla accentuated by the warmth of the ambery tolu balsam note and the cedar woody note.
The drydown consists of a long voyage through an indian / chinese oriental sweet ambery scent and yummy vanilla.

Let's check the sweet math of Opium EDT:
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Scent Opening: 9.0 (a fantastic near animalic blackcurrant note with anise)
Scent Dry Down: 10.0 (super alluring balmy vanilla)
Longevity: 8.5 (8 hours+ with two sprays)
Sillage: 8.0 (more than 6-8 feet at its peak with 2 sprays)
Uniqueness: 9.5 (Penhaligon's LP 9 is younger and very similar to Opium Pour Homme EDT; The similarity with Opium flankers does not count :-)
Compliments: 8.5 (close to a serious compliment grabber. It's a head turner because it arouses a lot of curiosity due to its pungent sweetness; some ladies just find it irresistible)
Wearability: 8.5 (Use it day or night during all seasons except in the Summer)
Versatility: 8.0 (You may use it in almost any event, although some perfumes are more adequate for specific situations. Avoid using it in the beach, sunny events and workout)
Quality: 10.0 (faultless)
Presentation: 7.5 (elegant, efective and simple but a bit outdated)
Price: 9.0 (100 ml non tester for 31 Euros + shipping)
Overall rating: 8.79/10.00
between 7 and 8 =above average;
between 8 and 9 = recommended;
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Opinion: One of the best exotic oriental scents for me. I like it very much. A vanilla gem.
Recommended? Yes, but only if you like the scent of strong orientals & sweet vanilla.
Blind buy worthy? No! Do try it before you buy it.
I recommend this fragrance; I order you to try it at least!

Music: Nina Simone "Sunday In Savannah"

Jazzy76
If the man of my dreams was a scent...
If the man of my dreams was a scent, it could be Opium pour homme:
strong and mysterious, spicy and alternative, but with a sweet and deep character .
I love this scent, I think that its acchord is simply perfect: fruity-aromatic in the opening , spicy- at the heart, sweet and balsamic at the base.
Sometimes at the drugstore I test on myself this scent and I can say that the result is wonderful on my skin too.
A masterpiece to share!

Spicy Oriental
Opium Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent, has been around for a long time now and released in an era dominated by aquatic freshies, it is still popular today. Please enjoy my review.

Stripped Down Fougere
Scentrack: DJ Shadow - Six Days

I believe I understand the Master Cavallier's idea. It's 1995, the era of aquatic horrors and melon tear gases. How to save the genre of fougere? To modernize it completely, to offload the redundant burden and introduce some novel notes. Opium, the legendary stripped down fougere.
Powerful, Oriental, spiced, sweet, sharp, rough, yet wobbly and elusive. Light anise and black currant on the wave of Eastern cuisine fiery ginger and jasmine. The base is made of transparent, yet strong Tolu balsam and almost gourmand vanilla.
An oriental imperial touch of French culture. A touch of class.

Rating: 8.5/10

More on Scentimentalwords

Saporific woodsy
An exceptional spicy format of Fougere Royale by Houbigant.
Opium is sweet, classy and grown spicy with delightful fruity patch to control over vanilla and pepper. It could be an aromatic fougere but it lacks what a real aromatic fougere needs: complexity.
Opium is a simple crowd-pleasing aromatic perfume delivered in right time. Very good for casualty, dandy and blitz-compliment bringer.
7/10

DPArtistDPArtist 22 days ago
Conjures up images of luxurious dept stores (or maybe a casino) in London & Paris during the 80s & early 90s. Oddly not really dated though!
HugoMontezHugoMontez 30 days ago
A great oriental spicy fragrance. A unique combination between black pepper, vanilla, cedar and blackcurrant. Masculine and addictive!
BertolucciKBertolucciK 58 days ago
The blackcurrant with the Bourbon vanilla is so addictive. It's spicy, sweet, cozy, manly and long lasting.
One of the designer perfumes.
HubertGHubertG 8 months ago
top 10 lifetime fragrances, masterpiece, so different, strong anise and subtil vanilla which I love, hot on my skin, age doesn't matter
AspvlAspvl 13 months ago
Thank you grandpa for wearing Opium (and Kouros too). Elegant, sweet, powdery, enveloping, a true masterpiece along with the EDP version.
AmberScentAmberScent 13 months ago
My 3d flask of Opium stands in the front of my perfume shelf as enjoyable as ever. A blend of fruit, wood, vanilla & balm to make me happy.
IanFriedrichIanFriedrich 21 months ago
I just went in a fragrance store. I tried it, fall in love with it immediately. & I buy it without hesitation. 1 of the real classic gem.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Lisbon airport duty free 23 years ago. Someone near me tried a fabulous spicy fragrance.
My first YSL OPIUM purchase happened 5 min later.

.. Kuscheln mit ‚Beauty of Livermere‘  - (so heißt der Mohn) .....
by IrisNobile
In meiner Gärtnerei entdeckt, der Wollziest wurde gerade frisch gegossen und musste sofort in den Einkaufswagen, in Natur sieht das noch besser aus...
by Pistazieneis
Farbladung für den Herbst....
by Pistazieneis
by AngelinBlack
by Jens73
by Jens73

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent