Opium pour Homme 1995 Eau de Parfum

Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Top 24 in Men's Perfume
Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 1995. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBlackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesBourbon vanilla
Base Notes Base NotesAmber

Submitted by MisterRossi, last update on 05.05.2021.

Discontinued!? [no fragrance description]
"Opium pour homme - Eau de Parfum" - my late entry into the perfume world via blind purchase (thanks to parfumo.de) and yet to this day my favorite perfume, now unfortunately seems to be discontinued since the end of 2019.

At least I have since then on various websites the Eau de Parfum sold out seen or it was removed after a few months in most shops.

On a direct inquiry with the YSL support, whether the EdP was then stopped or with new Batches is to be counted, I got 2 days ago the following answer:

"J'ai le regret de vous informer que celui-ci n'est plus commercialisé.
Il n'existe pas actuellement dans notre catalogue de produit de remplacement ou proche de celui que vous aviez l'habitude d'utiliser."

Short version in German: it is currently no longer marketed and is no longer in the YSL (replacement) product catalogue.

So who is a fan of the EdP, should keep your eyes open in perfumeries and stock up if necessary. Whereby it is not excluded that it is perhaps marketed again at some point. Rumors of a discontinuation there were already in 2013, which had not proven true.
Knucklehead
An art like never before!
Two years ago in December I could not resist! Doesn't come from anywhere, by the way. My mother had bought "Opium" for the first time in 1979 and since then she had it in her collection again and again. Until now and today. I grew up around the fragrance. I still like to smell it. Even if it's a little weaker than before. (My sensation)
I had a day off during the week. Always very pleasant. Because then you don't have all these people around you like on the weekends. You have time! Plenty of time.
So I decided to visit a perfume shop. Without testing any other scent I went directly to YSL "Opium Eau de Toilette" pour Homme. Tester in hand, lid off and "spray"! What a gentle blow hit my wrist! Suddenly it was warm and really winter in my nose! (On the day after the shave I applied extra only an odourless body lotion)
I couldn't help but get a spray on the neck. Let it work and enjoy! What a smell! Simply wonderful and almost never smelled! Just great! (Don't be offended that I am always very reserved with the technical terms because I simply never find the words!)
I bought a 100cc right away. Bottle of the finest quality.
In the beginning I only wore it in colder temperatures. But then the curiosity came to wear it at 32° Celsius. It works even then. But if - discreetly applied! Because then ingredients come to the fore which are not so effective at colder temperatures. Great!

Then last year around autumn.
The curiosity about eau de parfum became unbearable! But I was careful and looked at sales portals first. I wonder if somebody doesn't like the scent and wants to have it away for a bargain price? Because now comes the hack to it. It is almost nowhere available! At least here in Switzerland.
After feeling two weeks in the net rummage I finally found a seller who sold 50 ml (there is not bigger) of the fragrance for about 25 €. New and welded. "Because he got it as a gift but can't stand it" a bargain.
After querying the batch code I bought it. With a kiss on the hand at that price. ;)
A few days later the package arrived and I opened it immediately.
See there: Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum.
Foil off, cardboard on, flaps left and right off.....and already there was very little smell. But really very little. Bottle out....violet lid off and then the event of the day: spray!
One right on the neck. What a bomb. What a blast of currant and vanilla. A direct announcement! Not for sissies! No, not with me! I'm made for man-centred men. It was a miracle I didn't fall off my saddle And the durability is terrific! All day long it remains well preserved on the skin. On clothes it even stays forever.
Now that I knew that the scent was almost nowhere to be found in this country, I searched further and found an OVP version that is stored in a well kept cabinet. Because the first bought fragrance is still 3/4 full. You really only need 1-2 sprayers maximum! Otherwise it could spill into the negative.
What I would like to say is: if you use public transport apply it early enough. Because I can imagine that there is a certain envy factor. ;)
In any case, he is certainly not necessarily the Blinkauf candidate. Test him and get to know him.
He became a very good buddy! And not everyone has that honor with me!

Keep your chin up!
Ride on!

A classic forever
One of my favourite perfumes ever! The opening mixing the blackcurrant and the anise, and the heart with vanilla and amber are fabulous!! The longevity is not specially good. It is not bad but It is not already the beast that one day was. I think that the edp today id like the edt before but the smell is very nice and still today different and original. What is true is that for me It is not a perfume for everyday. Only for specisl occasion. I dont like It very much for nightout because i feel as i feel that the smell dissapear un contaminated ambientes, but is very good to go to some events overall at wvening- night. It is sweet but very spicy and a bit fresh. Almost unisex but more in the masculine side.
A spell is in the air
I tested this fragrance in a department store on a random occasion just before Christmas. I immediately fell in love with him, and I immediately realized that he was a very special, high-quality fragrance. However, I say this as one who likes Orientals, and I can only recommend him to those who also like this fragrance. I can't say much about the individual scents, because I lack the expertise for the individual scents. Clearly recognizable is the ambergris, which I so much appreciate and a resemblance to Chanel Egoiste is unmistakable - opium is not quite as complex and interesting, but deeper and heavier, like a ripe, noble and rare fruit. Certainly the fact that this is an EDP also plays a role here, and already therefore weighs more heavily than an EDT. Either way, I'm definitely enchanted.
A compliment
Basically, I could compose this review to a large extent from pieces of my review of Guerlain's "L'Instant pour homme" (Eau de Toilette). Not that the eau de parfum of "Opium pour homme" is a twin fragrance; that is by no means the case! Alone, the thrust direction, the attitude conveyed, all in all: The "air" that both fragrances emit is quite comparable: A dressing, at the same time dense and transparent, very warming composition. Quite of serious heaviness and strength, but still with a light heart, since there is no complexity that touches the fragrance biography of the wearer, which would promote sentimental detective work.

"Opium pour homme" (EdP) is essentially a blueberry chocolate muffin in my nose. So a gourmand? Not quite. I am generally not a friend of pâtisserie products on the neck. I'm my own person. So why do I like this fragrance so much? Because he does everything at the right moment to prevent stickiness and dominant sweetness. The berry (in the fragrance pyramid currant, in my nose clear blueberry) is unsugared and rather dark fruity than sweet, although by far not as serious as in "Eucris". The chocolate is dark and the milk content rises towards the base (but by then "opium" has already become very close). Finely dosed patchouli and ambered vanilla give earthiness and ambience, which I appreciate very much: for most gourmands it seems to be this strangely infantile seeming lack of context that alienates me.

"Opium pour homme" is like a serious compliment and that is the reason for the short review: You take it, thank, keep silent and... smiles.
SchatzSucher
If you need a nice humming....
I have known Opium pour Homme since its appearance in 1995.
I sniffed it for the first time on a friend and was thrilled. He must have been on sale for only a few days back then and my friend was always the first one everywhere and well informed about new releases.
They let me try it and sprayed the fragrance generously on me. And generous can be enormous with a fragrance of this caliber But in the 90s, people still liked to have a good time, even though the scents of the 90s were mostly very subdued compared to the very expansive 80s. Exceptions like Le Male or Opium pour Homme confirm the rule. And this fragrance is definitely not a light water On the contrary, the fragrance has its appearance and you are noticed.

Since I own both the Eau de Parfum and the Eau de Toilette, I can compare both variants nicely. And there are significant differences, not only in the concentration.

These differences are already noticeable in the beginning.

The EdP starts right away with the lush vanilla-amber bed, which gives the fragrance its warm and sweet-spicy character.
The EdT begins with a very clearly recognizable black currant (I would almost like to say cassis liqueur) with star anise, vanilla can only be perceived in the background
In the further course, which is not quite as complex with the EdP, this warm and spicy note becomes broader, but the black currant remains more in the background, I still think that something balmy and a little bit of wood smells out, even if only very hinted at.
With EdT it remains fruitier, a hint of ginger gives some warmth (missing with EdP), star anise remains present. I don't smell pepper (thank god), it would have been disturbing here, too.

Towards the base not too much happens with both scents, only that both sit down and retreat a little. The EdT is a little brighter and sweeter than the EdP towards the base, while the EdP is a little more fruity and balsamic towards the vanilla-amber bed.

Both variants have their fans.
I myself like both variations, each has its merits.
The EdT is a little more complex in the course of the course, has quite a radiance and endurance, but seems to me a little brighter and more suitable for everyday use and a little more accessible.
The EdP seems to me more concentrated, condensed, darker and richer, with an equally great durability and projection. Because of the shift to the darker and denser, it is more "for good", it may be used for parties and other nice occasions in the evening.
As far as durability is concerned, both variants do not take anything, they are easily 8-9 hours in each case, on clothes is also the next day still clearly something to smell.
Both variants distribute a proper scent veil, you should be careful, because too much could be quickly killed.
The flacons, well, they're not the most beautiful. The earlier ones with the peephole were still quite pretty. But it's the content that counts. The sprayers are very good for that. Targeted and well distributed
Opium pour Homme, whether as EdP or EdT, in my opinion needs cold outside temperatures, that's when it comes into its own. I like to wear Opium pour Homme from +5 degrees and colder.
The scent has a lot of bounce, it has something warming around it, it envelops the wearer like a soft flowing coat and I can hardly think of any other scent that could be better suited to such beautiful holidays as Christmas. I'm sure I will wear the EdP on one of the two Christmas days.
Furthermore, Opium pour Homme comes from Mr. Belletrud, who has created some fragrances that I like very much.

This fragrance from the house of Yves Saint Laurent has a high recognition value in any case, as the women's version at that time was already a masterpiece, which I also appreciate very much. Unfortunately, hardly anything earth-shattering has been created under this name in recent times. The fragrances of the modern age are almost only flankers of former bestsellers or mass-suited fresh water, but there are more than numerous.
One would like to bang one's fist on the table and shout "People have the A. in their pants again and develop a fragrance that really gets into your head! That can't be so difficult!"
The potential is there... And we would be very happy about a really big litter from YSL or ?
my hated vanilla,
here it is again ... no, not here, not this time, because here is the only vanilla scent - and it is a vanilla scent - which I can not only stand but find quite excellent. This long-lasting fresh, wickedly dangerous lemon/ginger cocktail, which flanks her and won't let her go for a long time, until she stands there slightly dirty and almost alone, without getting the appearance of a sweet cake bakery or any other kind of flirtation. The undertone of wickedness as well as the freshness of ginger and black tea is always at home with her. I've never smelled ginger better, more active or more toning anywhere. The currant gives the dark, vegetarian background. I don't think he is a pure male scent, but I can't really imagine him in a woman. I'm only commenting on the EDP version, because the EDT version is my hated Vanilla again. Buy recommendation for days when you want to feel like Robert de Giro in the Asia Shop in "Once Upon in America". Masterpiece!
Addendum: the bottle is nothing special, but it lies so filigree in the hand and prepares a anticipation like no other.

MasterLi
Smooth, sensual, sweet, exotic, and totally addictive!
What a beautiful gem of a fragrance for men! Stunning! This was one of the first Eau de Parfum marketed fragrances for men back in 1995, and in no way does it smell dated now! It's sensual, sweet and exotic. This perfume has no sharp edges, completely smooth and sensual throughout.

The fragrance itself opens up with zingy aromatic star anise and rich blackcurrant. It's completely beautiful. Followed by galanga and sichuan pepper, and drying down to beautiful tolu balsam and a deep, creamy, rich bourbon vanilla. Utterly intoxicating.

Smooth and sensual, this is one of the best designer perfumes ever made for a man. You have everything you could want in a niche (e.g. a Serge Lutens oriental) from a well-known designer house. This is the YSL of the past, the one we all miss! You can still get this one as (thank God) it's still in production! I hope it stays that way. Easily one of the best and most luxurious for men out there.

MikeMikeMikeMike 7 months ago
Evening classic, love blackcurrant there
BertolucciKBertolucciK 10 months ago
Warmer, cozier, more addictive than the EDT. The vanilla is perfect. A perfume that every man should have in his collection.
FranknSenseFranknSense 1 year ago
This probably my best definition for an oriental perfume. The Vanilla is super rich and becomes more and more ambery in the drydown. Awsome!
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 2 years ago
An aniseed and fruity opening, with a bit of freshness, and a spicy and oriental drydown. One of the best masculine perfumes ever made!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
The best vanilla i have ever tried. It's very well blended with blackcurrant and amber, for added fruitiness and an oriental mood. Charming!
Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
I tested it many years ago to make a a gift to my friend. It's a "good trip" for women too!

Discussions about Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum)

Coffee12 in Perfume Consulting

by NifNif
by XDiable
by XDiable

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent