Opium pour Homme (1995) Eau de Parfum

Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design: Pierre Dinand

Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 1995. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBlackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesBourbon vanilla
Base Notes Base NotesAmber

Submitted by MisterRossi, last update on 13.08.2019

5.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

A classic forever
One of my favourite perfumes ever! The opening mixing the blackcurrant and the anise, and the heart with vanilla and amber are fabulous!! The longevity is not specially good. It is not bad but It is not already the beast that one day was. I think that the edp today id like the edt before but the smell is very nice and still today different and original. What is true is that for me It is not a perfume for everyday. Only for specisl occasion. I dont like It very much for nightout because i feel as i feel that the smell dissapear un contaminated ambientes, but is very good to go to some events overall at wvening- night. It is sweet but very spicy and a bit fresh. Almost unisex but more in the masculine side.
8.0 9.0 8.0 10.0/10

A spell is in the air
I tested this fragrance in a department store on a random occasion just before Christmas. I immediately fell in love with him, and I immediately realized that he was a very special, high-quality fragrance. However, I say this as one who likes Orientals, and I can only recommend him to those who also like this fragrance. I can't say much about the individual scents, because I lack the expertise for the individual scents. Clearly recognizable is the ambergris, which I so much appreciate and a resemblance to Chanel Egoiste is unmistakable - opium is not quite as complex and interesting, but deeper and heavier, like a ripe, noble and rare fruit. Certainly the fact that this is an EDP also plays a role here, and already therefore weighs more heavily than an EDT. Either way, I'm definitely enchanted.
5.0 9.0 8.0 9.0/10

A compliment
Basically, I could compose this review to a large extent from pieces of my review of Guerlain's "L'Instant pour homme" (Eau de Toilette). Not that the eau de parfum of "Opium pour homme" is a twin fragrance; that is by no means the case! Alone, the thrust direction, the attitude conveyed, all in all: The "air" that both fragrances emit is quite comparable: A dressing, at the same time dense and transparent, very warming composition. Quite of serious heaviness and strength, but still with a light heart, since there is no complexity that touches the fragrance biography of the wearer, which would promote sentimental detective work.

"Opium pour homme" (EdP) is essentially a blueberry chocolate muffin in my nose. So a gourmand? Not quite. I am generally not a friend of pâtisserie products on the neck. I'm my own person. So why do I like this fragrance so much? Because he does everything at the right moment to prevent stickiness and dominant sweetness. The berry (in the fragrance pyramid currant, in my nose clear blueberry) is unsugared and rather dark fruity than sweet, although by far not as serious as in "Eucris". The chocolate is dark and the milk content rises towards the base (but by then "opium" has already become very close). Finely dosed patchouli and ambered vanilla give earthiness and ambience, which I appreciate very much: for most gourmands it seems to be this strangely infantile seeming lack of context that alienates me.

"Opium pour homme" is like a serious compliment and that is the reason for the short review: You take it, thank, keep silent and... smiles.
9.0 9.0 8.0 9.5/10

my hated vanilla,
here it is again ... no, not here, not this time, because here is the only vanilla scent - and it is a vanilla scent - which I can not only stand but find quite excellent. This long-lasting fresh, wickedly dangerous lemon/ginger cocktail, which flanks her and won't let her go for a long time, until she stands there slightly dirty and almost alone, without getting the appearance of a sweet cake bakery or any other kind of flirtation. The undertone of wickedness as well as the freshness of ginger and black tea is always at home with her. I've never smelled ginger better, more active or more toning anywhere. The currant gives the dark, vegetarian background. I don't think he is a pure male scent, but I can't really imagine him in a woman. I'm only commenting on the EDP version, because the EDT version is my hated Vanilla again. Buy recommendation for days when you want to feel like Robert de Giro in the Asia Shop in "Once Upon in America". Masterpiece!
Addendum: the bottle is nothing special, but it lies so filigree in the hand and prepares a anticipation like no other.
10.0 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

MasterLi
Smooth, sensual, sweet, exotic, and totally addictive!
What a beautiful gem of a fragrance for men! Stunning! This was one of the first Eau de Parfum marketed fragrances for men back in 1995, and in no way does it smell dated now! It's sensual, sweet and exotic. This perfume has no sharp edges, completely smooth and sensual throughout.

The fragrance itself opens up with zingy aromatic star anise and rich blackcurrant. It's completely beautiful. Followed by galanga and sichuan pepper, and drying down to beautiful tolu balsam and a deep, creamy, rich bourbon vanilla. Utterly intoxicating.

Smooth and sensual, this is one of the best designer perfumes ever made for a man. You have everything you could want in a niche (e.g. a Serge Lutens oriental) from a well-known designer house. This is the YSL of the past, the one we all miss! You can still get this one as (thank God) it's still in production! I hope it stays that way. Easily one of the best and most luxurious for men out there.

Emorandeira 29 days ago
An aniseed and fruity opening, with a bit of freshness, and a spicy and oriental drydown. One of the best masculine perfumes ever made!
5.0
10.0
Carlitos01 62 days ago
The best vanilla i have ever tried. It's very well blended with blackcurrant and amber, for added fruitiness and an oriental mood. Charming!+5
9.0
9.0
Jazzy76 20 months ago
I tested it many years ago to make a a gift to my friend. It's a "good trip" for women too!+1

Discussions about Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum)

Coffee12 in Perfume Consulting