Paris

Eau de Toilette (1983)
Paris (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Flacon Design: Pierre Dinand
Compare Prices
Paris (Eau de Toilette) (Yves Saint Laurent)
Paris (Eau de Toilette) (Yves Saint Laurent)
Paris (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for women and was released in 1983. The scent is flowery-powdery. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Sophia Grojsman

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Geranium, Indian cress, Green notes, Hyacinth, Cassia, Mimosa, Orange blossom, Hawthorn
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris root, Jasmine, Lily, Lime blossom, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Violet, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Heliotrope, Iris, Musk, Sandalwood, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 11.03.2017

Bottle 5.0/10
Longevity 10.0/10
Scent 7.0/10
From the '80s - Still going strong
Paris – YSL

Digging around in my perfume cupboard I came across a 7.5 ml miniature of Paris Eau de Toilette from the early 1980's. I have about 1/4 left.

The strength of this EDT is nothing short of phenomenal; no wonder after all this time I still have a 1/4 bottle remaining - it really does only need a little dab and lasts 12 hours plus.

A very rich violet and rose combo (powdery, thick and sweet) with lashings of velvety musk dominates on my skin for several hours and as such it is a little bit of a one trick pony. Eventually it becomes a little less sweet and powdery with a nod from geranium and undercurrent of amber.

What a beautiful picture the pyramid of notes makes but they are only there in a supporting role for me as Paris is almost linear on my skin.

For me violet dominates the rose and Paris reminds me very much of those cachous sweets (adored these - where can they be bought nowadays?) in particular the Parma Violet ones.

I wonder what the new formulation is like.

Eau de Toilette miniature circa 1980s
Very helpful Review    6 Awards
I Love Paris!!!
I discovered an original black 1.6oz EDT box circa 1983 on e-bay. It is quite different from the familiar formula on todays market. This was truely the biggest and best rose perfume ever made. In its time, I only detected it from afar. Indeed by 1985, it was everywhere. The traffic jam of perfume from that era shall never be forgotten or matched.

Paris however was different. Its pays tribute to Apres l'Ondee and was like Nahema containing a profusion of rose damascenones so boldly. This is YSL running along side Guerlain equally. It is Sophia Grojsman's magnum opus. It is the definitive French rose perfume. Its production cost had to be astronomical at the time and it gradually weakend to the current formula.

This original bottle relys little on the supporting cast of violet and mimosa. The rose dominates the composition for hours and then the natural, rich sandalwood and oakmoss hold it up even further. They are no longer in the pink box.

This isnt sexy like Opium, bold like Rive Gauche or mysterious like Y. As great as they are, Paris explores love. This is the gentle, blushing, innocent love that happens once in a lifetime. One drop on your pulse is profound. It gets under your skin and into your heart. Its mood enhancing and hypnotic. I can almost taste the rose.

Paris is a timeless 20th century giant that was really only around for about 5 year in its pure strength. No wonder it was on display in the Louvre! It was a work of art. Often imitated, even by YSL itself, but never as great as those original bottles. Time is passing-get a bottle today before its too late!
jtd
Very helpful Review    3 Awards
80s violet rose
One of the few perfumes that is 80’s in style, size and exuberance but can still be worn today without irony. It’s a cartoon-like rose with candied violet. A bit shrieky up top, but fortunately by the heartnotes the rose grows citric and astringent, lending a sweet/tart quality to the accord. Paris has a crystalline quality similar to Guerlain’s Nahema, but is far less dense and juicy than Nahema. Paris gains a woody, musky quality in drydown, but remains true to the artifice and exaggeration of its era and is proudly an 80’s Huge Floral.
Sillage 7.5/10
Scent 8.0/10
Helpful Review    2 Awards
A Parisian Rose
A classic beauty that is very appropriately named after the city of love: Paris. And filled to the brim with the flower of love: Rose.

A spring walk through the "Parc de la Roseraie" in Paris. Roses everywhere and a hint of violet, lily and wood notes carried on a warm breeze. Parisiennes strolling, a silk scarf carelessly draped around their neck and the scent of effortless elegance and understated chic trailing behind them.

Yves Saint Laurents "Paris" is elegant, joyful, beautiful and romantic. A must smell for everyone who loves roses and/or is looking for a floral classic that compliments every woman and every occasion.

Silage is: "A rose by any other name would be called Paris". -- Longevity is: 8+ hours. A wonderful and classy rose garden in a bottle.
Scent 7.0/10
Helpful Review    1 Award
Dallas
Yves Saint Laurent PARIS is a *very* floral fragrance--a huge flower garden dominated by roses of all colors and sizes. It's all a bit overwhelming: I feel as though I'm wearing a huge corsage. Or maybe twelve.

The flowers do smell nice and fresh and as genuine as they would be at a rose competition--perhaps at a state fair--but I feel uncomfortable in this scent. It's really not me. And I must say that it does not cohere in any way with my concept of Paris.

PARIS seems more along the lines of what Monica Lewinsky may have worn to go with her blue dress. Yes, as others have said: big hair, shoulder pads... Hmmm...earlier images, too, of Joan Crawford in MILDRED PIERCE keep popping up in my mind, along with one of my favorite movie lines of all time: "No wire hangers!!!!"

Perhaps a better name for this fragrance would have been DALLAS.
Bottle 5.0/10
Scent 10.0/10
1 Award
A Tale of the Parisian Sisters
A Tale of the Parisian Sisters Y.S.L Paris & Dior Diorissimo both French and exudes Glamor yet very
different like Night and Day; Paris is a bold
gregarious Sister nothing is quiet about her everything
from the notes Of Paris is big The opening packs a punch
from the Sweetish mimose bright greens Roses hyacinths
to the fiery Sandalwood finishing she'll demands your
attention and wont let go; She also has a lot of personas She's a hot clubber on the dancefloor seducing
all the guys amid her path A top corporate raider who
has everyone under her thumb Or a Diva who needs to be
a center of attention.

Diorissimo a reserved sister of Paris prim & proper
and modesty is her aura Simple and Elegant she doesn't
need a thousand floral notes not Hot deep woody incense to be notice just a few fresh Lilies green
notes and bergamot Her Persona include being a Ballerina plus a housewife and mother she rather work
behind the scenes then being center stage;
If Y.S.L Paris is the fiery part of Parisian Elegance
so Diorissimo is the Ice.
Sillage 7.5/10
Scent 8.0/10
Helpful Review    2 Awards
Strong soapy roses
This is one loud rose fragrance that I do enjoy greatly.

As a child I always preferred the scent of the Black Madonna rose to any other rose in my Mother's garden. It had such a rich, distinctive smell that has been so well emulated through Paris.

This fragrance opens with rich, (and in some ways harsh) rose, gernanium, green notes and what seems to be aldehydes. There is a definite soapy/powdery quality throughout the composition which I find rather alluring.

Just looking at the adverts, I can't say that Paris is particularly sexy or seductive. I'd say forget the sexual aspect and focus on the romantic and classic feel of the scent. This is romantic, candle-lit dinners in a restaurant with a view of the Eiffel Tower, not a clothes-tearing, extremely urgent romp, beneath red satin sheets in a sleazy motel.

I also find this scent to be quite fresh, almost something that I could imagine wearing during the heat of Summer, despite the scent being quite strong. For me, Paris sparkles with vitality and commands attention.

The lasting strength is absolutely amazing. Even showering doesn't completely rid oneself of this potent fragrance.

To some this will seem out-dated, far too strong and 'nightmarish', however I do have hope that some will appreciate this fragrance like I have.
Sillage 5.0/10
Scent 9.0/10
Very helpful Review    3 Awards
Rosiest of the rose
I am a passionate rose lover and as many fellow rose lovers for a very long time now I am searching for the perfect rose.. And I think my quest is so difficult because I smelled YSL Paris first of all.
This is the classic rose smell, I don't know any other rose which smells so classy, elegant and natural, nothing else I have ever smelt in the rose category, even the pure rose oils manages to give me the rose smell i adore like Paris. Any rose lover should own this, it couldnt disappoint anyone!

Discussions about Paris (Eau de Toilette)