Pour Homme 1971 Eau de Toilette

Version from 1971
Pour Homme (1971) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
8.0 / 10 115 Ratings
Pour Homme (1971) (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 1971. The scent is citrusy-fresh. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top Notes BergamotBergamot LavenderLavender PetitgrainPetitgrain LemonLemon Lemon vervainLemon vervain
Heart Notes Heart Notes CarnationCarnation GeraniumGeranium MarjoramMarjoram Clary sageClary sage Brazilian rosewoodBrazilian rosewood RosemaryRosemary ThymeThyme
Base Notes Base Notes AmberAmber MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood Tonka beanTonka bean VetiverVetiver CedarCedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 27.01.2023.

4 in-depth fragrance descriptions
Top Review 9
YSL's subliminal message ..
My access to YSL was via jazz, or even more via Paris and opium in relatives' bathroom cabinets. For a long time I paid little attention to YSL Pour Homme, too old, too unfashionable. The detour to access it went slightly astray. Through Comme des Garçons' Soda (2004), I took a liking to the artificially citrusy, on the edge of functional perfumery as it comes into play in cleaning products, among others. Soda was a successful satire on this. At some point, the complete Series 6 Synthetic was discontinued, the search for overdriven citrus note began: Although with rinsing - and scrubbing means Gang and Gäbe, overbred citrus was for years in fine fragrances, if at all, only hard to find.

Finally, I perceived Pour Homme in the 80's and 90's via print advertising, nothing extraordinary back then, on the contrary: there was hardly any skimping on advertising photography and commercials, only with this subject the encounter was different, subliminal, smuggled into another context, like hidden additional frames in a film or backward messages in music: No full-page ad, that was still reserved for Paris or already jazz, just a small black-and-white photo, which was also only shown in the context of 'general' reports about Yves Saint Laurent: YSL at the Opera Garnier, YSL with dog, YSL in Morocco, YSL with the Deneuve, and then just YSL - without: a naked YSL from the earliest 70's, dressed only with glasses and somewhere in the corner - thanks to the small size hardly recognizable - indications it could possibly be a perfume advertisement. A photo that was gradually replaced by more irrelevant: from YSL in a suit, group picture 'Flakon and the Financial Times 1987' further to the other 80's cliché: young businessman cashing in a bonus. Quelle Tristesse!

At first glance, Pour Homme seemed like it had found the functional citric replacement. Yatagan's formulation of the 'powerhouse lemon' sums it up. It quickly became clear that I had acquired a pig in a poke, or rather a dirty Trojan. Pour Homme, which opens with a famously polyphonic citrus note, runs a course that - via a potently orchestrated bouquet garni of proportions that would have more than adequately spiced up even the most expansive dinners of the entire YSL Studio crew at La Coupole - quickly veers away from any cleansing aesthetic. A harbinger of the physicality that Kouros would take to extremes 10 years later. Combining an effectively-brachial opening with a distinct lived-in quality, YSL Pour Homme is simply fun to wear. Certainly it was a child of its time, connections to other 'great perfumes' that may have served as commercial anchors are evident. Chanel Pour Monsieur, Monsieur de Givenchy, only Pour Homme seemed to sharpen and exaggerate identical components. More citrusy, more spice-bouquety, more wicked. A dirty lemon. Poison and antidote in one, Scene of Crime and crime scene cleaner.

A credible if more restrictive re-release was attempted under La Collection - Profumo's review of this is devoted extensively to the 'animalic' aspects that make up Pour Homme's character, and which presumably come from the lush bouquet garni. Sadly this too has since been discontinued, at least the older versions also mentioned musk, perhaps another modulation. In drydown, has reminded me last Club Majestic but / too much of the same at Pour Homme.
Maksime
Classic, mature and masculine.
Lemon, green herbaceous notes like rosemary, thyme with a spicy touch and a soap undertone. Somewhat dry-woody with a slimy sweet nuance, but still a bit soapy.
Classic, mature and masculine in all aspects and of course a great fragrance.

Helpful Review 5
My first YSL
My mother noticed I was enjoying fragrance, so she took me too the mall and introduced me to YSL Pour Homme. It was a hot sunny summer day and this fit perfectly. I had the later version produced in the early 80s, about the time Kouros was launched. I was unaware it was deeper and richer in the 1970s.

I will include all 3 bottles I had in my life. My first one was in with a red cap and was splash. I used to love the refreshing lemon burst and really felt that it worked to cool me down in the heat. There was something about the YSL logo and its celebrity character. This was circa 1981.

In 2003 I found a big spray bottle that most of the notes in tact with the vetiver turned way up. It was still very recognizable yet I detected little oakmoss and sandalwood.

This fall, I chanced upon a vintage dark amber clear bottle with a red collar, and a black cap. This had to be the long forgotten original formula. I won it for under $20 with shipping. I uncapped it and discovered it was a totally different beast, beyond anything I had ever encountered before. This was very much a citrus chypre, however the darkest one I have ever smelled. Its juce is thick and resinous on my skin. The composition is so tightly blended that you cannot pick out a single note beyond the citrus. It lasts a good 18 hours. Its sexy, refined and complex. I would have never referred to the other YSLPH with that decription. This is truely on the top shelp of my collection.

Drseid
The First Scent I Ever Took Notice Of...
This scent brings back wonderful memories from my childhood, as it was the first scent that really stood out from the rest in attracting my attention. I remember walking around my local drug store (before the big chains even existed) and smelling this fabulous herbal lemon scent in the fragrance section. I had never worn fragrances before, and never thought much of the idea in general, but boy did that scent smell good... I *had* to find out what it was I was smelling... Of course, it was YSL pour Homme.

I did not buy a bottle that day as my allowance was never enough to afford it, but here we are 25 years later and I finally, out of nostalgia, picked up a vintage bottle of YSL pour Homme to see if the love still exists all these years later... I now can safely say after trying the scent on my skin for the first time ever, that it indeed does!

So what does it smell like? I get major lemon in the opening and heart notes, mixed with herbs like basil, thyme, oregano and maybe even a hint of nutmeg spice. As the scent progresses, vetiver joins the herbal spiced lemon party, creating a mildly dirty sour lemon combo. In short, it smells incredible. The scent projects quite well, but unlike a lot of other powerhouses from its time, it is not an absolute beast, making YSL pour Homme quite wearable when sprayed in moderation. Longevity is also well above average.

Still relevant even after all these years, I believe YSL pour Homme is an outright classic herbal lemon powerhouse scent that deserves a lot more attention than it gets and should be in every man's collection. 4 stars out of 5.

2 short views on the fragrance
HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 years ago
Aromatic citrus. A lemon start, herbs in the middle and a mossy drydown. It's refined and classic. Very good but slightly dated. 3/5
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
A manly near perfect lemon fresh scent. It's complex but so easy to wear. I also suggest Loewe pour Homme for a similar fragrance.

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

17 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Babycat by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2002) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Libre Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2011) / M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent