Rive Gauche (1970) Eau de Toilette

Version from 1970
Rive Gauche (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design: Pierre Dinand

Rive Gauche (1970) (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for women and was released in 1970. The scent is floral-chypre. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Freesia, Ylang-ylang
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Musk, Myrrh, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 06.09.2019

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

70’s Paris
Vintage (1978) vs recent (2013) Rive Gauche.

First of, I gotta say; in my opinion this is the best reformulation L’Oreal has done with an YSL fragrance. Actually, the only one that hasn’t completely butchered a perfume. Rive Gauche is still itself, for better or for worse. Main difference lies in the opening and long drydown.
I already really like the current one, but I simply adore the vintage.

The original opens with soaring metallic aldehydes, the ones that sting your nose and give you an instant high. It smells like hairspray in the best possible way, so if you dislike them, stay away. If you love them, like I do, this is heaven! There’s a beautiful tarry quality that further enhances them. Imagine hairspraying a vial of poppers and sniffing. Stunning!
The current one has 0 tar, 0 metallic effect. It’s plain aldehydes with a hint of peach. C14 aldehyde? It will still scare those who loathe them even though the impact is muted compared to the original.

The heart is where the similarities intensify; geranium, Iris, a very French floral bouquet of rose and jasmine, that feels like a finely milled bar of white soap. Blindingly white, in a marble bathroom. Stark and cold, silver bathroom fittings. Vintage has them in spades along a ray of light in the form of lemon and LOTV. Current one dials them down, adds more peach and citrus and feels like a minimalist version. But as a whole, the feel and smell isn’t all that different.

Now the drydown, that’s where you find all the good and heavy stuff.

In the vintage.

Oakmoss galore, vetiver, all smoothed by amber and musk. The new one relies on vetiver mostly, with tonka bean adding a slight fougère effect. Drier, less oakmossy (it still has treemoss), more powdery.
Less green, more grey. The vintage feels more herbal, more full, the oakmoss really shines. The Iris still rocks in a sublime way, the feel is of smoothing body powder on heated skin. Cooling.

With both versions, I get all day longevity and strong sillage. While the new is different, and years of restrictions and reformulations have taken its toll, it’s still very much itself. The controversial aspects have been eliminated or toned down, but it’s a miracle it’s been kept so ‘vintage’ smelling. Fresh, cold (while I never thought of Chanel n°19 as an ice queen, Rive Gauche is definitely a cold hearted one), powdery, green.
It just happens that the 1970’s version gets me high in a way the current one does not. Silver hairspray poppers!
Current? Big like.
Vintage? Absolute love!

Still going strong
This was every where in the late '70s to early '80s and was very popular amongst women in their early 20s.

A lady I worked with carried a cannister around in her bag and was seen to be giving herself a jolly good spray several times throughout the day; she would just whip it out in the middle of the corridor and spray starting at her neck then zig zag across her body and down to her feet. Does that sound like a lot of perfume? Yes it was! but she did make the whole floor smell nice and nobody seemed to mind (perhaps because it was so unusual for people to wear perfume to work it made a nice change).

Anyway, I see this is still for sale, in the eau de toilette, on the YSLBeauty website; was it discontinued and then re-launched?

I find the current version still to be good - a slightly green dry floral, just a touch soapy. It's missing something compared to the version from the 70s so I won't be going for a full bottle (you know how it is, if you remember a perfume really well then a reformulation, no matter how nice it smells, just feels wrong).
9.0/10

Cyn
A review that is not a review
If you are a vintage scent lover, chances are you have already smelled this beautiful scent and know how wonderful it is, so I won't bore you with my take on this cult classic.

However, I recently purchased a bottle of the vintage cologne and I didn't expect much longevity, but I am thrilled to report that the cologne lasted an entire day and and lingered into the next morning. So, the good news is if you are having a hard time finding an affordable bottle in the EDT, you may want to give the cologne a try.

Unforgettable!
Rive Guache was a cultural staple in the 1970s with those trendy commecials on the TV. My mother caught YSL fever and had a bottle in the 1976. Ah yes, every Friday at cocktail time she would don her fur, spray it liberally and it lingered behind. For a few years it was her signature. I was fascinated by its chic character. And it came in a can! Revolutionary! The Designer Imposters followed.

I found a large vintage can last year-indeed its a lifetime supply. It is a cold metal aldehydic rose-jasmine-ylang ylang masterpeice. I would say more than 30 notes or more. It works best in the cold snowy winter as the revolving door of florals drift on the wind. The metallic quality has since vanished from the current market. Just how was that note created? The drydown is reserved. It lasts a nice 16 hours. The can just feels good in your hand.

I tried a smaller refromulated version in 2005. It was not right. Somewhat plastically and wierd. It only becomes authentic during the drydown. This is simply too late in my opinion. I knew something was wrong at YSL. By 2009 when L'Oreal Paris took over, I knew the end had come. Rive Gauche is now discontinued

jtd
the night sort of smells like this in my dreams
Rive Gauche has grown on me. I’ve always liked it, smelling it a bit late in the game in the early 1990s on a friend who had a perfect balance of chic and practicality. She had a discerning, unpretentious knack for picking from high and low cultures what suited her best. She wore Rive Gauche and it fit her perfectly.

Recently I wrote that I preferred Paco Rabanne’s Calandre to RG. Call me sometimey, but today I prefer RG. Their similarities allow their differences to come into view clearly. Calandre is an aldehydic rose floral that winds up with a vaguely bitter green chypre drydown that I wouldn’t have expected at the outset. It’s a beautiful trajectory over time. RG’s aldehydes last longer and move the rose into the sweet viscous shadow of a tonka/galbanum gumminess that feels like a thick incensy resin. Despite Calandre’s reference to metal (chrome grill), RG has more of a metallic feel. It’s cool with a bit of that flinty smell shared by metal and stone. There is a constant question among the perfume set. What is a good rose for men? Here’s your answer.
10.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

70's Chic
This has an Manish presence to it it's almost unisex the scent of dry woody
Aldehydes makes it adrogymous. i can detect fringes of rose there is a sort of bitterness in this that makes it unique then other women Fragrances dries down into lemon. the scent reminds
me of sequoia burning or the scent of
burning Paper the violet brings an powdery feel.

This has a 70's chic feel to it with it's Blue and Black and silver lines
running horizonaly though an cylinder
shaped flacon conjoures up Paris in 1977
with it's smoky discoteques and open air cafes.
this is a scent for women who dares to be different to break with conventional
Bourgeoisie.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Wait it out until the drydown
I wasn't aware that YSL had reformulated this fragrance and I'm rather disappointed that I'll never get to compare the original to this scent.

I'm usually back and forth with aldehydes. In some fragrances I love the powdery and soapy quality that it gives, while in other scents, (for example, Chanel No.5), I hate how it smells sharp and unpleasant.

When I first sprayed Rive Gauche I immediately classed it as a sharp and unpleasant aldehydic fragrance. It was so strong and nose-burning, that it was almost like a bomb had hit me right in the nostrils.

I quickly stuffed this sample into my pocket in case I became nauseated from the scent and soon forgot about it. When I finally got home I emptied my pockets and wondered what smelt so elegant, rich and flowery. It was Rive Gauche.

When the aldehydic opening softens, the scent becomes feminine and romantic. The rose note is delicate with the gardenia, magnolia and jasmine creating such a beautiful floral blend.

It has that delightful, classic type scent which I love. It's difficult to re-create these types of scents which hold so much class, sophistication and elegance in a bottle.

Although I feel as if I'm a little too young to start wearing Rive Gauche, I can always look forward to growing older in hopes of one day owning this wonderful scent.

by Zora