Y (1964) Eau de Toilette

Version from 1964
Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design: Pierre Dinand

Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for women and was released in 1964. The scent is chypre-green. The production was apparently discontinued.

Jean Amic

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Gardenia, Honeysuckle, Green notes, Peach, Plum
Heart Notes Heart NotesHyacinth, Orris root, Jasmine, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Styrax, Vetiver, Civet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.09.2019

Y the original from the mid 60s
It must have been around 1977 when I came to the payroll office of my training company and smelled this scent for the first time. A temp (younger than me) had hung him up and I loved him from that moment on. She gave me the sample bottle to say goodbye because she didn't like the scent. From that day on, I indulged in perfume, usually duty free, or bought it in Spain much cheaper than in a shop in Germany. And then suddenly you couldn't get "my" Y anymore. Great joy when I rediscovered it on the Internet. What I didn't know was that it was a "replica" that didn't deliver what Y promised. In addition, this block bottle in powder pink is an extremely unwieldy thing. The original from the Mid-Century is and remains unmatched!
7.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

Rear (green) dig, front (green) dig
I like word games and sometimes I use them in my environment.
Also with this fragrance from Yves Saint Laurent. An early representative, without the appearance of an "enfant terrible" ...But in this day and age? Maybe one? Because it doesn't fit the mass taste...?
"Did you loll about in a meadow?" was one of those questions...
or: "Gelle, you stayed in the barn, you smell so "strange"...
But maybe only NEID?
And if it should be envy, then I see that as a huge compliment!.
It is a wonderfully "green" and flowery chypre of the mid-sixties (of course years)...
People of this age can also wear them.
I am still a few years away from it, but I like "Y" very much.
With its early summery charisma, it now fits exactly into the fragrance, but can also be worn all year round.
This scent is also a "little rogue".... Superficially he is very "green" with many great floral notes, with hyacinth and rose predominating, surrounded by leaves and grass.
But it's still hidden, because some surprises are waiting in the course of the fragrance.
The fresh green and flowery gets a fine "shadow" of moss, balsams, wood notes (slightly "earthy") and a hint of "animalism"... Still green, but different green.
From the fresh "Maigrün" "Y" changes to "rich Sommergrün", shows also "pictures" of "Grün, wie es in schattigen Wäldern herrscht".
But also colorful speckles of the "flower meadow", which enrich the whole smell..... Oh, yes... "grass green" also occurs... behind (green) dig......

Superb...
I was born in 1964 as well, at the crossroads of modern perfume history when Y was introduced. Y was the cornerstone of an empire that would eventually dominate my world. I had an older cousin who lived in Detroit before it collapsed-say 1973. She played David Bowie and Elton John records and wore Y. She was my idol! Enough said. It was forever branded for cool people only. It was massive and unforgettable. Detroit, my cousin and Y have sadly since disappeared.

I found a perfectly preserved vintage spray last year and have rediscovered its majestic power. This epic masterpiece is perhaps the definitive chypre behind Mitsouko and Coty's original. I have described it like Mitsouko on steroids. Why? Perhaps more redolent florals in the composition? It seems so tighly compressed as if it sat in the vat for centuries! Micheal Hy was a genius in his brief career. Calandre and Rive Guache were to follow. I suspect he worked on YSL Pour Hommme.

The opening is indeed incredible. The fruit has an aged fermented quality to it. This particular bottle takes a good six hours or more to work through the florals. Indeed, the brilliance of the chypre is defined here. Time is required for the novice. It can last 24 hours or more depending on the wearer. Expeiencing it in its original form is the only way.

Around 2002, I tried a mini and was heartbroken. Although Y was never as commecially successful as Opium, it had a cult following. Did YSL think no one would notice? The oakmoss and vetiver was gone! It has finally been raised forever at the brutal hands of L'Oreal Paris. Maybe one day it will return? I cannot loose hope. Until then, I apply a drop at a time and mourn as my bottle gets lower...
10.0/10

Y Wouldn't You
Forget Guerlain's "Little Black Dress." YSL made the perfect LBD in Y. This is the epitome of chic and style. The wear anywhere, anytime, with anything fragrance. An effortless wonder that is green, but not too green. Clean, but not too clean. Mossy, but not too mossy......I could go on, it is never too anything, it is just perfect. In fact if I could only have one fragrance, it would probably be this. Wonderful.

1964: Y and me
It’s no wonder that people love this scent. It is beautiful from so many angles, and so deftly balanced. And, wonderfully, this balance doesn’t seem the result of consensus. This is not the middle of the road in a bottle. It contains the best of green florals and grassiness, a smart fruit choice, a confident dose of moss and just enough darkness in the basenotes to make it meld with your skin. It is a quality of many chypres to sink into the skin over time. This one becomes a skin scent, but one with sillage, almost instantly.

There is something so poised and charming about Y. It has confidence yet never seems to have to prove itself. There’s just that hint of a knowing smile. God, I wish I were Y. Interestingly, while other green scents suggest flowers, grasses, things you might find out-of-doors, Y is in fact outdoorsy. It has all the city sophistication of similar fragrances (Cristalle, Silences, No. 19) but seems perfectly at home in the woods.

Y was released in 1964, the year I was born and a year I’ve never quite made sense of. I remember what the later 60s were like on the east coast of the US where I lived at the time. Yet photos from 1964 look like the mid-50s to me. Y captures a bit of this for me. A few years earlier and Y might have been Jolie Madame, a few years later, Diorella. Y is a bit like the gen-X of green fruity chypres.
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Classic green chypre
Y may just be one of YSL's most underappreciated fragrances yet. Being overshadowed by all the glitz and glamour that YSL seems to represent today, this bottle is often lost among the sparkly Parisienne or the candy pink Baby Doll.

This fragrance is a classic, especially in the way that it doesn't have to be loud or ground-breaking to be so loved.

When I first smelt Y the word 'clean' came to mind. I wanted to say soapy and fresh, however Y isn't either of those things. It's clean in a very natural and simplistic sense of the word, like something that becomes you, rather than announcing to the world that it's a perfume.

It isn't heavy and it isn't offensive. Y is classy and sophisticated but also versatile enough to be casual and alluring.

It's green and woodsy with a somewhat powdery quality. It doesn't feel dated and I would not have guessed that this fragrance originated from the 1960's. Although not particularly outstanding, the scent itself is quite addictive. It was something that I had to smell over and over again just to embrace its beauty.

I must add that this fragrance isn't as dry as some chypres, it has a delicate moistness, possibly caused by the rich green notes and the earthy, wet patchouli note. The fragrance also tends to smell a little musty.

The aura of Y is incredible. It conjures up thoughts of cleanliness, fresh bouquets of flowers and soft, burning incense. Perhaps slightly 'churchey' and refined in its manner.

I could talk about this fragrance all day, as there are many levels to be experienced here. Y is one of those fragrances that leave a profoundly good impression despite its subtlety.
5.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

A Conservative, Classic Creation
Compared to YVRESSE, YSL Y seems very dry and austere. I'd call it a dried grass chypre rather than a fruity one. There is certainly a connection between the two compositions, but YVRESSE seems fuller, in addition to being fruitier, while Y seems clean and direct. Actually, I think that the naming of YVRESSE makes a lot of sense, in relation to Y: it contains more detectable, thicker notes, so the name has become thicker (longer) as well. I should say that I never really found YVRESSE very fruity (and it seems to me very un-champagnelike...), until I compared it side by side with Y!

Y reminds me a bit of a couple of the Balmain perfumes, inhabiting with them the same general neighborhood as CORIANDRE. On my skin, Y is less green than brown, and the aldehydes do evoke vague and distant memories of ARPEGE, as another reviewer (at a different site) has pointed out, but ARPEGE develops and undulates, while Y seems more linear and univocal--notwithstanding the lengthy list of notes, which are obviously very finely blended! Y is nowhere near as green and wacky as MA GRIFFE.

Y is a conservative, classic creation, for women who appreciate aldehydic perfumes which are neither sweet nor very floral. If green is your thing, then you'd love this one--although I cannot comment on the reformulation, since my bottle appears to be vintage.

Schätze einer Frau
by Blödel
by Pluto
Ich wünsche allen eine schöne Weihnachtszeit
by Blödel