Y (2017)Eau de Toilette

Version from 2017
Y (2017) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Suzanne Dalton

Y (2017) (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2017. The scent is synthetic-fresh. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Bergamot, Sage, Ginger, Aldehydes, Geranium absolute, Frankincense, Balsam fir, Cedarwood, Ambergris

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 18.07.2020.

The faces of the advertising campaign are rapper Loyle Carner, sculptor David Alexander Flinn and artificial intelligence researcher Alexandre Robicquet.

"Y "l I like you anyway!
Current rating: 5.7
I admit it, I knew that many speakers said that the EDP should be much better
In order to approach the series, however, I have come to a residual quantity Y EDT at the best price.

I didn't really expect much, but at that price a disappointment wouldn't have been too bad either...
I can still remember the first impression: "a bit feminine, but it smells really good!"
Perhaps one must say that Y is not my first fragrance from YSL. Next to L'Homme, L'Homme Ultime and La Nuit, this is my fourth and newest approach, none of the brothers is masculine My test starts at the beginning of spring and here YSL Y fits perfectly for me. The creamy sweetness has an invigorating and cuddly effect in the freshness of the morning, while the fragrance is light enough in temperatures up to almost 18 degrees so that it is not overwhelming. It is precisely this charming presence to many imaginable situations that generally seems to be a great strength of the house of Yves Saint Laurent.
But back to Y. Single notes are hard for me to make out. The sage is the one I am most likely to discover here. I find the composition to be complex, but integrated in a harmonious interplay. Nothing steps out of line or plays itself into the foreground. Qualitatively, I find Y to be high quality. Even if none of the notes are natural, I never have the feeling to wear windscreen cleaners at any time To give me a vague idea of the basic character, it helps me to think in colours. In this context Y in my perception is a pastel, very airy violet blue with white streaks in it.
Perfume usually sticks to me like glue, Y is a small outlier downwards here, but is perceptible long enough to satisfy me. 5 hours or so I perceive the EDT on me.
First perfume
About 1 year ago I first came into contact with perfume. It was at the airport. I ran through the perfume department without a clue which one might be good and sniffed everywhere. This is the only one I found really excellent. I like it very much and I don't understand the bad reviews. The durability is hammer and the Sillage is almost too strong. With 2 sprayers on the other side of the room it was asked who was wearing perfume here. All in all, a, in my opinion, successful perfume

A magic scent
Perhaps This scent is called Y simply because Y was the initial of the name of the great couturier Yves Saint Laurent, but this letter hides a whole world of ancient symbols : it's the choice between two ways, it's the magic stick, it's the second coordinate in the cartesian system, it's the masculine strength, it's the ambiguity and so on.
This scent is almost magic: I tested directly on my feminine skin for the first time just today and I fell in love with it.
The moment I sprayed it I immediately smelled a very particular scent of "old lipsticks", something powdery-aromatic which becomes warm after a few minutes without being too "masculine" and heavy.
Aldehydes and frankincense are very noticeable maybe covering a little the citrusy notes and the ginger, but what I love is the balsamic touch and the ambergris at the base.
In the edt version, this scent has a discrete sillage, quite soft and gentle, perfect for a woman too.
The simple and almost minimal bottle is refined and classy, just like the man who could wear this scent.
In this concentration it could be worn in the mid season and by day, at the office too for its particular discretion and its sense of "clean".
4.5
Popcorn cinema without screen
...and no popcorn. The encounter with Yves Saints Laurent's "Parfum" Y is about as "exciting" as the one in the "Parfum". One expects tension, emotions, complexity, a charming course and the like in a fragrance. Y does not even meet the minimum requirements for a men's fragrance. A scent at all. He's monotonous, he's meaningless, he's boring. Yawning boring. His "scent" pyramid is a bad joke in view of the synthetic umbrella that reveals itself here. At least he'll be gone in a hurry. In the year 2017 YSL jumps on the fruity squeaky cheap plastic train, which still doesn't seem to have left the perfume world (and still seems to be flushing a few Euros into the till).

"Everything starts with a (wh) y" is the word in the commercials, so flowery. Unfortunately, the scent leaves me with the question of "why". Lose face as a label because of a few cheaply earned euros? Do you really want to degrade to the 0815 manufacturer like so many other labels and give up your own handwriting, your character? Those soulless mainstream corpses really piss me off by now. I expect more authentic entries in the database at Parfumo in the future, in the case of Y about:

Y is a nasal anaesthetic by Yves Saint Laurent from 2017 for men and women. The smell is cheap synthetic. Shelf life and Sillage are below average. Unfortunately it is still produced.

That would be something, wouldn't it ;-) ?

At least I like the song from the commercial.
Chevalier
It's not too little time we have, it's too much time we don't use. Lucius Annaeus Seneca
What is wrong with the brand Yves Saint Laurent??
Since the la nuit and the la nuit frozen, nothing felt right anymore.

The house Loréal has the most brands which you can market. Some very aggressive like Armani, others discreet like Viktor&Rolf, Ralph Lauren or Lancome.
Then there are also the inexpensive fast movers like diesel.

Yves Saint Laurent almost doesn't happen anymore.
The last nuit flankers were finally all bad rather than right. The nuit trend has been used here for too long, when the cow was already dead.
They were revived and revived until the last employee with the defibrillator said no.
A wise decision to breathe life into a new series.

But not like that!!

What kind of balsamic mixture is that?
It doesn't smell male, dominant or new at all. It only seems artificial, sweet and indecisive.
This rose absolute and sage is quite weak, inappropriate and not pleasant.
Bringing this in as a new Flanker series is pretty brazen.
Here I would have expected a little less marketing, but more quality, Mesdames et Messieurs in Paris!

Sometimes I even hear very quietly how the founding father Yves Saint-Laurent turns around in his grave.

You can only miss such an opportunity if you don't keep an overview of all brands everywhere and consistently.
This Y is maximum a diesel mixture, everything else is for the price an impertinence.

Here Loréal must definitely ask himself why they didn't bring the mixture of the new perfume from the beginning.
Were you too greedy? Were you too fast? Were you too imprecise? Probably a mixture of all that.
There is a different way to consistently work the market.
When I compare Dior, which has a smaller cadence in the launches of fragrances, with regular top ten fragrances, the ladies and gentlemen of Loréal unfortunately do too much wrong with the venerable master.
One recalls the ingenious compositions like M7, la rive gauche or the over father of success, Kouros.
After that the ingenious la nuit de l`homme, which also hit like a bomb.
That was a few years ago.
And now this Y a master of disappointment.

Therefore, the Loréal crew for Yves Saint Laurent should not talk about the time they do not have, but use the time they can use effectively, freely after Seneca....
We all want to prevent such disappointment from happening again.

Jazzy76Jazzy76 20 months ago
Inspired to the most symbolic letter, it's a warm and aromatic scent with a particular note of "old lipsticks". Good for Her too!
HitchslapHitchslap 24 months ago
I actually like this, gives off a slight citric/alcohol vibe, sorta like a tart gose or shandy! Not much projection, will have 2 try more
HermeshHermesh 3 years ago
5.5
Uninspired fresh-sweetish scent without recognition factor. Suitable for a boring office day.

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Cuir by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent