Y 2017 Eau de Toilette

Version from 2017
Y (2017) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent
Bottle Design Suzanne Dalton
Y (2017) (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2017. The scent is synthetic-fresh. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

BergamotBergamot SageSage GingerGinger AldehydesAldehydes Geranium absoluteGeranium absolute FrankincenseFrankincense Balsam firBalsam fir CedarwoodCedarwood AmbergrisAmbergris

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 11.04.2022.

The faces of the advertising campaign are rapper Loyle Carner, sculptor David Alexander Flinn and artificial intelligence researcher Alexandre Robicquet.

So Unpredictable Pure
We know Yves Saint Laurent in the world of perfumery for several masterpieces. When I approached the world of fragrances as a teenager, the trending perfumes of this brand were Opium (1977) Parfum, Paris Eau de Toilette, Kouros Eau de Toilette and Jazz (1988) Eau de Toilette. The first three were rare, super-powerful animals, while the last was already something more tamed and commercial. Many other fragrances came out on the market long before these, but the ones I mentioned were around at the time. Then came the unexpected, polarizing and disruptive "M7 (Eau de Toilette) | Yves Saint Laurent", followed by a plethora of L'Homme Eau de Toilette and La Nuit de L'Homme Eau de Toilette with their flankers. And so did Black Opium Eau de Parfum. Two new fragrances have recently arrived on the shelves, namely the feminine Libre Eau de Parfum and the masculine Y. As I've tried and reviewed some of the Y flankers, I thought it was time to look at the original, a free sample I received a while ago. A few good things have been said about EDT, but it was generic and forgettable. I like it now that I've had the chance to try it for myself. You may wonder what it is, so here's my take on it.

Firstly, I would classify it as a fresh, aromatic, modern fougére and semi-aquatic perfume with light woody notes. Y EDT opens with an energizing freshness from sparkling aldehydes and soapy citrus fruits, which give a luminous, joyful, and floral sensation. The aldehydes are distinct and give Y a solar arrangement, which is very refreshing and effervescent, like sparkling flavoured water. I feel powdery shades coming from the violet leaves, slightly watery and dusty. I let the booze vanish, and a creamy lemon comes to the fore along with the aromatic sage, which brings a herbaceous tone right from the start. Thanks to the blend of citrus, herbs and a warm, musky undertone that is clear from the first spritz, I get an atmosphere that belongs to the fougére family. Something immediately familiar to me reminds me of several famous men's fragrances out there, some edges in common with Defy.

Y is a relatively straightforward scent, which doesn't undergo much development, and the next chord that hits my nose is a violet leaf with a hint of ginger that adds some spiciness. The violet leaf is very prominent, providing its familiar powdery aroma. The heart, formed mainly of green geranium and herbaceous sage, gives a touch to the aromatic and dry fragrance. In short, bitter puffs arise from the sage leaf. My nose is sensitive enough to sense this bitterness inherent in clary sage. If you know the aqueous accord, you too will capture the watery and dusty atmosphere of the violet leaf.

The base moves into a more decadent and more seductive territory, resting on soft notes of not too heavy but dry wood and a sort of dense amber. There is some cedarwood in there, a touch of balsamic fir and marine ambergris warming it. A powerful woody and balsamic base contrast with the sparkling freshness of the beginning. The balsamic tones stand out. I can feel them clearly if I bring my wrist to my nose. Deep, earthy, animal-like. Although Y has many other notes, it is the aromatic and salty ones that shine and dominate. Not bad, especially if you like amber types of fragrances rich in sage and violet. It retains its freshness on the bottom with a sweet and airy character and a solid woody base with a sprinkle of sage.

Head, heart and tail come together in a clean, easy-to-wear fragrance suitable for various casual and professional environments. Y feels lighter and brighter than other fragrances that other people often compare. My final word, I think Y EDT is a pleasant scent, so it's fun and non-polarizing. It is a rather versatile fragrance, but I would prefer to wear it during the day rather than at night, in the warm seasons, a good perfume suitable for the office because it is harmless. THIS WOULD BE A CONTENDER when I need to reach for a scent that smells good but subtly gives me a sense of cleanliness. The projection is average to good. I feel it, and those around me should get too. It smells like a fresh shower. It is very refreshing, with a hint of woodiness and musk. As for the projection, I'd say it's pretty moderate; Y EDT's sillage isn't enormous, and longevity is good, but not insane, on my skin. Makes it perfect for spring or summer, or an all-rounder if you're looking for a scent for the day but would look great in warm weather. Since it is so light, it is very versatile. You can wear it in just about any setting, from going to school, college or university, to work in the office or out for lunch.

I base the review on a decant I have owned since January 2022.

-Elysium
2.5
Eau de Intentional Bodily Harm
First of all, you can....forget that again very quickly - I'm not at home, but virtually in the foyer of Loréal! - And there I do' first so richtich Rabatz!
~
"Schön juten tach, ick hab da ma 'ne janz bescheidene Frage, so actually several; Wat hat sich ihr Computer eijentlich dabei jedacht, solch einen Duftmüll namens Y zu kreieren, wo 'Se sich nicht' ma' die Mühe jemacht haben, didd ooch nur nur annährend zu personalisieren"?

- "We had to create a fragrance quickly or we'd lose the buyers!"

"Oh, and that's why you guys rammed in the Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum; just as an example, to introduce this synthetic, non-recycleable fragrance to buyers, you're not bloody serious, are you? -"Yes, I am!"

"Hear, hear! Then we will read the Erwin Schlottermann times the riot act!" - Because the fragrance gets this one point as a rating, because it smells like "something" and exactly because of nothing else!"

(Whether the responsible person is really called Erwin Schlottermann I do not know, because no Parfumeursangabe is recorded and me with this fragrance also not at all surprised).

As first I can with me personally after spraying a fine sunburn-like rash, including the heat pimples determine, but within 5 minutes disappears completely and take a nasty pungent citrusy herbaceous smell wahrnmehme, which I perceive as completely overdosed 'bergamot', but this does not seem overdosed at all, but its accompanying substances and here are Cascalone to name, which should convey a fresh, lively sea breeze-like fragrance and provide a full scratchy unsympathetic Erföffnung.

At the same time, the 'aldehydes', which WC duck lemon and candied orange peel syrup hide in themselves, give the fragrance an incredible radiance and thus make it seem even more distinctly unround and even more pungent and reveals a slight plastic - shaving cream note and seems to arise in interaction with the 'balsam fir'.

A little later joins this shaving foam note also the smell of freshly washed, bright powdery, slightly flowery laundry, although I must say that if I had to keep these two notes apart, the "fresh laundry" is quite successful, but this is unfortunately eaten by the synthetic - shaving foam downright and also overlaid and this thus too much suppressed and I perceive here something 'jasmine', instead of rose geranium - Absolue.
In the last 3 hours reconciles me but actually something the fragrance.

Fine bright resinous incense threads unite with a light woody nuances and the interplay with the 'Virginia cedar' and the 'incense' is to thank and now also finally this "abnormal" synthetics has withdrawn so that one could call this almost wearable.

What remains is a fine, balsamic ambrosia smell and because I'm not an asshole, I raise the score of the fragrance to 2.5!

Sage and ginger, unfortunately, I could not perceive, however, I can imagine very well that these components were used to "complete the fragrance disaster".

Incidentally, this is the first fragrance that I do not weiterrreichen, but have already disposed of in the trash; and I'm really one of the last to throw something away.

Overall, the fragrance lasts 7.5 hours on my skin.

The sillage is designed from the beginning 3.5 hours to a very clear whole perceptible whole arm's length, before it reduces in quiet steps until the fragrance fades.
"Y "l I like you anyway!
Current rating: 5.7
I admit it, I knew that many speakers said that the EDP should be much better
In order to approach the series, however, I have come to a residual quantity Y EDT at the best price.

I didn't really expect much, but at that price a disappointment wouldn't have been too bad either...
I can still remember the first impression: "a bit feminine, but it smells really good!"
Perhaps one must say that Y is not my first fragrance from YSL. Next to L'Homme, L'Homme Ultime and La Nuit, this is my fourth and newest approach, none of the brothers is masculine My test starts at the beginning of spring and here YSL Y fits perfectly for me. The creamy sweetness has an invigorating and cuddly effect in the freshness of the morning, while the fragrance is light enough in temperatures up to almost 18 degrees so that it is not overwhelming. It is precisely this charming presence to many imaginable situations that generally seems to be a great strength of the house of Yves Saint Laurent.
But back to Y. Single notes are hard for me to make out. The sage is the one I am most likely to discover here. I find the composition to be complex, but integrated in a harmonious interplay. Nothing steps out of line or plays itself into the foreground. Qualitatively, I find Y to be high quality. Even if none of the notes are natural, I never have the feeling to wear windscreen cleaners at any time To give me a vague idea of the basic character, it helps me to think in colours. In this context Y in my perception is a pastel, very airy violet blue with white streaks in it.
Perfume usually sticks to me like glue, Y is a small outlier downwards here, but is perceptible long enough to satisfy me. 5 hours or so I perceive the EDT on me.
First perfume
About 1 year ago I first came into contact with perfume. It was at the airport. I ran through the perfume department without a clue which one might be good and sniffed everywhere. This is the only one I found really excellent. I like it very much and I don't understand the bad reviews. The durability is hammer and the Sillage is almost too strong. With 2 sprayers on the other side of the room it was asked who was wearing perfume here. All in all, a, in my opinion, successful perfume

A magic scent
Perhaps This scent is called Y simply because Y was the initial of the name of the great couturier Yves Saint Laurent, but this letter hides a whole world of ancient symbols : it's the choice between two ways, it's the magic stick, it's the second coordinate in the cartesian system, it's the masculine strength, it's the ambiguity and so on.
This scent is almost magic: I tested directly on my feminine skin for the first time just today and I fell in love with it.
The moment I sprayed it I immediately smelled a very particular scent of "old lipsticks", something powdery-aromatic which becomes warm after a few minutes without being too "masculine" and heavy.
Aldehydes and frankincense are very noticeable maybe covering a little the citrusy notes and the ginger, but what I love is the balsamic touch and the ambergris at the base.
In the edt version, this scent has a discrete sillage, quite soft and gentle, perfect for a woman too.
The simple and almost minimal bottle is refined and classy, just like the man who could wear this scent.
In this concentration it could be worn in the mid season and by day, at the office too for its particular discretion and its sense of "clean".
4.5
Popcorn cinema without screen
...and no popcorn. The encounter with Yves Saints Laurent's "Parfum" Y is about as "exciting" as the one in the "Parfum". One expects tension, emotions, complexity, a charming course and the like in a fragrance. Y does not even meet the minimum requirements for a men's fragrance. A scent at all. He's monotonous, he's meaningless, he's boring. Yawning boring. His "scent" pyramid is a bad joke in view of the synthetic umbrella that reveals itself here. At least he'll be gone in a hurry. In the year 2017 YSL jumps on the fruity squeaky cheap plastic train, which still doesn't seem to have left the perfume world (and still seems to be flushing a few Euros into the till).

"Everything starts with a (wh) y" is the word in the commercials, so flowery. Unfortunately, the scent leaves me with the question of "why". Lose face as a label because of a few cheaply earned euros? Do you really want to degrade to the 0815 manufacturer like so many other labels and give up your own handwriting, your character? Those soulless mainstream corpses really piss me off by now. I expect more authentic entries in the database at Parfumo in the future, in the case of Y about:

Y is a nasal anaesthetic by Yves Saint Laurent from 2017 for men and women. The smell is cheap synthetic. Shelf life and Sillage are below average. Unfortunately it is still produced.

That would be something, wouldn't it ;-) ?

At least I like the song from the commercial.
Chevalier
It's not too little time we have, it's too much time we don't use. Lucius Annaeus Seneca
What is wrong with the brand Yves Saint Laurent??
Since the la nuit and the la nuit frozen, nothing felt right anymore.

The house Loréal has the most brands which you can market. Some very aggressive like Armani, others discreet like Viktor&Rolf, Ralph Lauren or Lancome.
Then there are also the inexpensive fast movers like diesel.

Yves Saint Laurent almost doesn't happen anymore.
The last nuit flankers were finally all bad rather than right. The nuit trend has been used here for too long, when the cow was already dead.
They were revived and revived until the last employee with the defibrillator said no.
A wise decision to breathe life into a new series.

But not like that!!

What kind of balsamic mixture is that?
It doesn't smell male, dominant or new at all. It only seems artificial, sweet and indecisive.
This rose absolute and sage is quite weak, inappropriate and not pleasant.
Bringing this in as a new Flanker series is pretty brazen.
Here I would have expected a little less marketing, but more quality, Mesdames et Messieurs in Paris!

Sometimes I even hear very quietly how the founding father Yves Saint-Laurent turns around in his grave.

You can only miss such an opportunity if you don't keep an overview of all brands everywhere and consistently.
This Y is maximum a diesel mixture, everything else is for the price an impertinence.

Here Loréal must definitely ask himself why they didn't bring the mixture of the new perfume from the beginning.
Were you too greedy? Were you too fast? Were you too imprecise? Probably a mixture of all that.
There is a different way to consistently work the market.
When I compare Dior, which has a smaller cadence in the launches of fragrances, with regular top ten fragrances, the ladies and gentlemen of Loréal unfortunately do too much wrong with the venerable master.
One recalls the ingenious compositions like M7, la rive gauche or the over father of success, Kouros.
After that the ingenious la nuit de l`homme, which also hit like a bomb.
That was a few years ago.
And now this Y a master of disappointment.

Therefore, the Loréal crew for Yves Saint Laurent should not talk about the time they do not have, but use the time they can use effectively, freely after Seneca....
We all want to prevent such disappointment from happening again.

ElysiumElysium 4 months ago
As a fresh, aromatic, semi-aquatic fragrance with woody and powdery notes, I would classify it as a modern fougère. Enjoyable.
KingPinKingPin 10 months ago
3.5
Ultra boring Big Brand scent. Nothing distinguishing it from any other supermarket scent. Extremely uninspired.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
Inspired to the most symbolic letter, it's a warm and aromatic scent with a particular note of "old lipsticks". Good for Her too!
HitchslapHitchslap 4 years ago
I actually like this, gives off a slight citric/alcohol vibe, sorta like a tart gose or shandy! Not much projection, will have 2 try more
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
5.5
Uninspired fresh-sweetish scent without recognition factor. Suitable for a boring office day.

by Muckelina
by Muckelina

Popular by Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2002) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2011) / M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent