Y 2018Eau de Parfum

Y (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent
Y (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2018. The scent is sweet-synthetic. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Ginger, Apple
Heart Notes Heart NotesSage, Juniper berry, Geranium absolute
Base Notes Base NotesAmberwood, Frankincense, Tonka bean

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 13.11.2020.

Currently, American singer-songwriter Lenny Kravitz is the face of the advertising campaign. Previously, American singer-songwriter Adam Levine (Maroon 5) was chosen for the campaign.

HenrikBlau
Y - The little brother of the big blue?
First of all: This comment is part of my personal research project "(Summer) Immergeher 2020", in which I test and comment some possible alternatives to my current standard fragrance "Bleu de Chanel (edt)". For more information and links to further fragrance comments from me, please visit my profile or my blog (https://www.parfumo.de/Benutzer/HenrikBlau/Blog/Eintrag/projekt-sommer-dumb-grab-2020). But now to the matter.

Flacon
Simple and chic. Relatively thick glass with colour gradient from clear to dark blue/ black-blue. The black click fastener is made of plastic, has a non-slip surface and fits snugly. The atomizer produces a fine, even spray and releases the contents of the bottle in rather generous amounts. Solid.

Durability and Sillage
Spraying three times on neck and neck gives me a slightly over arm-length sillage. In closed rooms Y is present, but not room filling or obtrusive. After 3-4 hours the radiance gradually fades and the fragrance recedes to shoulder width. After about 6 hours it is slowly exhausted, but remains perceptible up close for some time.

Fragrance or fragrance progression
In the opening rather synthetic and incredibly (!) fresh. Sparkling sweet notes of green apple and citrus fruits widen my nostrils and make my mouth water. Does a slight ginger pungency tingling in my nose? ... hm, could be anything citric. In the first 30-60 minutes the sweetness decreases significantly, but without disappearing. Instead, fresh and tart notes appear, which combine with the fruity-sweet notes to create interesting impressions. I think of fresh orange peel, rose petals, tonic water/ gin and tonic. Without a doubt something green comes into play here. As sage and/or juniper, however, I cannot clearly identify it. Slowly but surely incense and a little wood are also coming through. After about 2 hours the fragrance has finished its development and remains synthetic green-blue-fresh-tart with a little fruit sweetness and woody-smokey undertones. I can only recognize the tonka bean listed in the pyramid when the other notes have almost completely disappeared (which can take 12 hours or more)
Conclusion
Yves Saint Lauren Y (edp) is a real blue one: fresh, clean, friendly, unobtrusive. But with an interesting fruity green twist, which makes him look a good bit younger than other representatives of his profession, without ever being childish. Fits to almost all occasions and times of day/seasons. Possible exceptions: Very fancy dinner dates (too young), romantic dinner dates (too fresh), winter (too "cool"). The basic DNA of Y actually reminds me strongly of the "big blue": Bleu de Chanel (edt). Citrus, incense, wood. But there are clear differences: Y performed a bit stronger and is definitely sweeter and fresher than BdC. The latter is a bit more reserved and especially in the base much softer, spicier and warmer. In the summer of 2020 I have never worn another fragrance as often and as much as YSL Y (edp).
A very pleasant fragrance
It's a very pleasant scent. It is not too obtrusive, but it is very quickly in the nose of people in the immediate vicinity. Slightly sweet and fresh with a good shelf life.
In any case, the EDP should be preferred as it is much more intensive and long-lasting.
Blue Darling
The fragrance is kept very simple and pleasing as you know it from "blue scents", but makes exactly this mass appeal effect especially good and better than the competition
In the opening a juicy green apple comes towards you accompanied by sage, juniper berries and a very light ginger vipe. After the opening, the apple fades into the background (but still remains present) and the accompanying components come out more strongly.

The fragrance is very fresh and is accompanied by a light pleasing sweet (not too sweet) and masculine background spice (not too spicy), but the main focus is on freshness
and yes it's not very complex/straightforward and synthetic like many here complain but why is that a bad thing?
With the hyped Dior Sauvage this is nothing else and I liked this one much better. I tested the fragrance against D&G K edp, Dior Sauvage edp and Armani ADG Profumo and decided to go for this one.

Will empty the 100ml bottle and then say a little more about the shelf life and sillage but from the impression he thinks it's damn good for a newbie^^.
Jensthomas31
The sweetness that almost sticks in my throat.
A very sweet, fruity and almost chewing-gum-like fragrance. I liked this scent very much the first time I wore it! At some point, I thought it was too sweet. Almost like a toilet of fresh Hubba Bubba chewing gum in your throat.
I like to wear it, but in my eyes this scent is more for the disco, bar or city festival evening. I prefer Sauvage in everyday life or other occasions

Yes from me!
I'm a woman but I got a sample of it so I just tried two sprays on my wrist.
Some memory hit me really hard when I first smelled this. I can't remember the person who smelled like this (also can't believe this was released in 2018, I feel like I have known this scent for ages!) but it made me feel happy and secure instantly. Also it's so sexy?

Honestly I just couldn't stop sniffing on my wrist so my nose went anosmic already after a minute. Now I just get slight whiffs of it and it smells so so good.

I'm gonna get my SO a bottle of this as soon as possible!
FilCona
Maybe the best blue scent
I tested the scent when it came out and only learned to appreciate it over time. It may seem a bit synthetic, but it just smells extremely clean with an apple note. Especially the apple note distinguishes it for me from other well-known scents like Sauvage and BdC. If you just want to have a fragrance suitable for the masses, which is slightly different, you are in the right place. The performance is top. But you should test it, because I can imagine that it might seem boring for some people. I think the fragrance is ideal for people who just want to smell clean and suitable for the masses, but don't want to resort to BdC, Sauvage or Acqua di Gio Profumo.
My blue favorite
With YSL Y edp you simply can't go wrong in my opinion.
The scent always goes and smells great.
The apple and sage note forms a wonderful freshness that I really like The durability is outstanding with me. Also the Sillage is fantastic.
Y is one of my top 3 fragrances in terms of positive feedback from others when I wear it.
In my opinion a brilliant fragrance that is worthwhile.
Definitely one of my favorites!
My party scent No. 1
Got me the scent back then
in 2019 when that blue wave went around. Dior just released the EDP as Chanel just released the EDP of Bleu de Chanel realised. Then I jumped on the Sauvage bandwagon for a long time and thought I didn't need to rotate anymore with these three fragrances as I already considered Sauvage to be a good all-rounder.

Suddenly all the young men started smelling of Dior Sauvage. The postman brought the mail and I noticed a Sauvage Sillage. I went to the club to celebrate and Sauvage was there. At work my colleagues just had that smell on them! The smell was just everywhere!
So I had to think of an alternative and there it was in my closet. The good YSL Y EDP. With a fruity opening of green apple and synthetic ambroxan. Afterwards, docu came to perceive the good ointment note, which the other two fragrances Bleu and Sauvage don't have now. He comes across much younger and the H/S are also super and in the same range as the other two.

Then I tried the fragrance thanks to a well-known Youtuberin while partying in clubs and I have to say! There is something he does better than the other two in this situation! Every time after spraying and passing by, the female guests looked at me and twice I was asked about the scent in the club! Because the name is so short, the situation can be explained in an uncomplicated way:D

I think the black and dark blue elements make the bottle look good. But unfortunately not a magnetic closure, which I'm starting to see as a must for designer fragrances these days!

For me it's definitely a Must Try people!
Loyal companion
After Bleu de Chanel was the entry point for me into the "blue", I came across the unobtrusive Y last year.
As one of many in this genus, he is not really on the screen. At least, that's what happened to me. But Y has its right to exist as I was allowed to realize with pleasure.
After spraying on, the apple is immediately pleasantly perceptible, which provides the fresh note. After a few minutes this accent settles and the fragrance becomes a little spicier and then changes to a warmer, woody note but still with a pleasant apple touch.
The fragrance is quite round, it literally does not want to offend. This makes it wearable for most occasions and is not limited to a certain season. This also makes it look a bit shy and it always stays in the background.
For me personally, not least because of the good P/L ratio, it has also become a daily/office fragrance that one always perceives but does not want to fill the room.
Durability is also above average for me.

The bottom line is a clear recommendation, especially, but not only, if you like the "blue" fragrances.
Adrian24
The better sauvage - smells like...
... "merci" from Stromae. A little natural, but somehow still great! Sounds or rather judges young, free, after fun and celebration but with a certain depth. With this song in your ear and this perfume through the warm season is perfect!
What does Y smell like? I can't see a really significant progression here, nor can I claim to be able to make out all the notes clearly. But apple is very clear - I have associations with the delicious smell that comes to your nose when you bite into a juicy green Granny-Smith apple. This gives the smell a certain acidity. Immediately after spraying, the acidity can be a bit too much, but it is rounded off directly by the heart notes, especially sage. I can't make out the rose geranium. But the magic brings the base. I can only identify the tonka bean to some extent, but underneath all the freshness there are warm, almost mysterious notes that make Y really interesting. You can't deny the synthetic touch, but it keeps me from giving Y a 10. But I don't find it really disturbing.

What do you get with YSL Y? You get one of those blue scents that can be worn for any occasion at any time of the year, but Y looks better in warm weather. Freshness with enough depth and sweetness to work in winter, the kind of perfume the masses love. In this class of perfumes, this one is the absolute best for me. When you think of blue fragrances, you always think of Sauvage, which I think is good for its purpose, but Y is much better
Why Y instead of Sauvage? Especially for young people (like me) I find Y much better, because Y simply radiates more fun and youthful aura. That's mainly because the sharp pepper chord and the cold, metallic chord from Sauvage are replaced here by something more sweet, a creative sage chord and a fruity and sour apple chord that makes your mouth water. I also find more warmth here than in Sauvage, which can seem a bit cold and aloof because of the metallic note. Y is also somewhat louder ergo projects more strongly, is thus better perceived and is more suitable for going out. Besides: every second person out there smells of Sauvage. The two have parallels, but Y is clearly different and your blue Dumb Reach scent makes you stand out from the Sauvage bores ;)

Conclusion: Y should get one who is looking for a good blue scent, which is loved by almost everyone always and for every occasion, which brings many compliments and which is more fun, youthful and warmer than Sauvage.

For me, Y was the second fragrance I bought for myself. I associate with him a time when I felt really grown up for the first time. I feel good when I wear it and I already associate with it some great memories, especially of a wonderful holiday in Portugal.

All that remains is to add a short but important emergency stop: I am aware that Y is not a particularly creative, individual fragrance with edges and corners. It seems that many perfumes tear up fragrances like this because they are so mainstream. But they ignore their purpose: Y or Sauvage are blue fragrances that are meant to please everyone and are not made to be edgy. Blue fragrances with dumb reach potential are certainly justified by their compliment factor and their versatility. Y is blue through and through and I have rated Y according to blue criteria.

Thanks to all of you who read my detailed commentary completely, I hope it was worth your time!

Best regards to you all,
Adrian

TsoTso 2 months ago
Sweet & fresh compliment pulling mass-pleaser. If you want to smell pleasant to 'everyone' around you, wear this. And get complimented.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 3 months ago
Blue scent that opens with a synthetic apple and some citrus. In the drydown, you get sage with some sweetness and tonka. Boring scent.
MeetjoeblackMeetjoeblack 5 months ago
I never get compliments. I wore this on a business trip and was complimented every day. Thank you YSL. #pantydropper
ScentDaneScentDane 7 months ago
Sharp, fresh apple and ginger on a base of spicy, woody, fougere notes. Mass appealing and safe. Perfect for spring, the office and casual.
Hoban27Hoban27 10 months ago
SOAPY FRESH FRUITY VIBE WITH LITTLE SWEETNESS AND SPICES CLEAN & VERSATILE AND MODERN! VERY GOOD PERFORMANCE TOO
Amazon1975Amazon1975 10 months ago
Very good scent fresh with a brisk sage hit. Love this and is being slept on a little. A great all round choice
Rens1996Rens1996 1 year ago
I have a 60 ml bottle. I love it but i dont have time to wear it. Of somone is intrested let me know
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
It may be one of the best gifts for a one perfume person, but of no use at all in my shelf. Nice synth mainstream fragrance and ... boring!
IanFriedrichIanFriedrich 2 years ago
Paying $115 for 100ml, mass pleasing, synthetic fragrance with average longevity? No thanks! The scent is nice, it just too expensive.

by Eigemann
by WitDeBois
by Sia23
by Sia23

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent