Y (2018) Eau de Parfum

Y (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent

Y (Eau de Parfum) is a new perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2018. The scent is sweet-synthetic. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Ginger, Apple
Heart Notes Heart NotesSage, Juniper berry, Geranium absolute
Base Notes Base NotesAmberwood, Frankincense, Tonka bean

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 10.11.2018

The face of the advertising campaign is singer-songwriter Adam Levine.

Good scent - and still bad - or not?
Tested him at the Douglas. A neat "clean man" smells... The same as Sauvage ; Blue de Chanell; or others of this category... the problem with this category "shower gel perfume" is for me the 1-2 rich. I found him very nice and pleasant and I'm sure he also comes very well so the rating he has here is very UNFAIR it is a TOP fragrance... But I already have Sauvage and Blue and that's enough... If I didn't have a collection yet, I'd say test him out of a beautiful clean man with his own frish spicy character... Really good! For all those who never want more than 2 of this fragrance category like me FINGER WEG or rotate it if you have the opportunity to do so once in ! In general I think he is very good in this category
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Better more intense version of the moderate original
Since I didn't find the original of the often criticized original bad, I was looking forward to this EDP. You could register with YSL to get a free sample. After I thought the supplies were out of stock she arrived after a long wait this week.
Also here again a very small Berwertung of this smell. I'm not surprised, because the EDP is only a more intensive version with minor differences to the original. According to many, the fragrance has a strong synthetic touch a la Invictus. A fragrance created by perfumer Dominique Roupion. It is not uncommon for perfumers to incorporate similar DNA's under the brands. A fragrance in its own right, but one that the Invictus audience will probably also like.

The bottle is mega chic. Especially the colour gradient between blue and black, plus a silver Y like the original. Class.
First of all I have to say to the description of the fragrance: I don't feel it as synthetic as it is entered here. Even if it goes in a similar direction to Invictus, it looks much more mature and high-quality. He is more likely to appeal to young casual audiences, but is not quite as penetrating and youthful as Invictus. Due to the tart freshness the fragrance is more like Hwas or Invictus Aqua 2016. The start reminds me very much of Kelsey Berwin's Zeus with this apple head note paired with bergamot and ginger. Very pleasantly designed. In the further course it develops in a bitter-fresh direction, especially the fresh sage stands in the foreground with a pleasant Geranium note. It ends later mainly with soft wood. Also a pleasant light sweetness is available.
Performance is very pleasant. Durability is not superior for an EDP, but fine. Sillage is not weak, but designed for everyday use. That's where he belongs. Rather a fragrance for everyday activities in daylight. Even though I like this fragrance very much and find it pleasantly uncomplicated, the really big highlights and wow effects are missing.
Even though it is idle to discuss prices, I find this fragrance slightly overpriced. 100ml costs 100 Euro, but is already available in many shops for about 80 Euro. For this type of fragrance rather overpriced, since there are many cheaper alternatives. But a bad choice this Y is not in my opinion. Especially younger casual types should test this one.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
It's dangerous to stick to the past. You just have to keep going. Robert Redford
This was probably what the people in charge thought when they brought out the Y eau de toilette after la nuit and now the eau de parfum. It's not every day one to win, that's what I thought when I first smelled this somewhat heavier one.
The spiciness is fine, even the heaviness is not bad for a perfume or rather a would-be perfume, yet I am missing something. If I look at the scent and compare it with my nose, then probably everything was done right.
Now I thought I was getting a little closer, the bergamot, which is used for almost every second scent, is somehow out of place here. For a somewhat stronger course I would have personally reached into the orange drawer. Somehow this mountainmouthed appearance is too weak. The apple comes too fast and makes the scent somehow ordinary, What many were amazed when the la nuit de l`homme came out, there the sensory perceptions were completely overmanned by the novelty. But here? Unfortunately, no, the confusion with scents from DM or other low-cost suppliers is too close Sage, juniper berry? Not a clue here either.
Only the woody comes out in the end. For a fragrance which is however in the higher segment of Lòreal, certainly not a glorious leaf.
Here the gentlemen would have held on better to the past despite danger, and reformulated the la nuit again in again a somewhat stronger variant.
This one? Except marketing, unfortunately, not much
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 4.0/10
Cheap aftershave for a lot of money
Several years ago I bought the aftershave "X-Bolt" from Lidl for 4 € and yesterday I got this perfume as a perfume sample. There it immediately reminded me of it. Then I tested the difference and found only that this one is a little sweeter and does not smell so alcoholic. For DM for 10 € in order but not for 70
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 3.0/10 Longevity 3.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
Why Y?
Y - here's the name program. Why does YSL launch such a fragrance? Completely innovationless - in a drugstore or a supermarket you reach for a bottle with light blue-transparent contents, optionally with the inscription "Acqua", "fresh" or "Blue", and get Y. No unique selling point, no performance. Antonio Banderas - Blue seduction smells very similar, longer and is available for significantly less Euros
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Emancipated
Today I discovered Y and immediately curiously took a spray.

The Ur Ladies Y is still my favorite, and that already for years.

When I bought it in Frankfurt at that time, the saleswoman said in the most beautiful Hessian: Isch hase this fragrance !
Which sounds completely unagressive in this cozy dialect.
At home the sweetheart cheered : Hellish - ah hellish !

The scent clearly polarized.

And the new Y for the Lord will also divide the camps.

I like his sweet spice, which is mysteriously surrounded by incense.
The flowers give a slightly feminine touch and Tonka makes Y round and soft.

A unisex scent, or for very emancipated men who dare something.
They're supposed to be tough guys, but they stand by their feelings with confidence.
These are my loved ones.

Bold bikers who sometimes wipe away a tear when reading Heine.
Intrepid snowboarders who proudly take their mini dog for a walk.
Those who hear AC/ DC and Enya softly.
Pithy nature boys who pause to sniff at a rose.
Who offer a wide shoulder to lean on - but who are also looking for me.

Is there this species man?

Yeah - 'cause I married one of them.

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 4.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Y ...all the bashing !??!
Exactly: Y all the bashing ?
Because something 'only' ...according to personal taste, of course ...GUT smells ?
And e.g. a provocatively named, but actually only vera..lberndes likewise - more thin-fruity little water like 'I am Trash' by Etwat Libre D'Orange is tried at fantasy price to bring to the niche conoisseur ? :)
So: very spontaneous, but what must be, must be :-), speak:

I -must - just take countermeasures here :)! Yes, I generally also love more classic-complex scents, with a clear, interesting and always new and multi-facetted perfume.
Example man :), Versace L'Homme ...Example woman, yes, the cheap, but not cheap 'Gloria', by G. Vanderbilt ...

But it doesn't always have to be the Mega-Wummser of e.g. the 1980's, a rather linear, spicy, wellbeing fruity alcoholic summer water, like D&G's L'Imperatrice or Mugler's Womanity inspire me ... because I am a woman, yes :)

Now however ...Why some more words to Y? ...Because !

Because I find the fragrance MIRACULOUS first thing. Yeah, right. Because I can't even get enough of him at the moment, it may be because he also fits so well to the current dream autumn weather. Starting with a hint of splashy freshness of summer still, followed by late apple harvest, ripen us sweet, in slightly smoky clear autumn air, ending in the evening in front of the fireplace, still surrounded by light freshness, sweetness, incense. Definitive and -pure- masculine, by the way, I wouldn't wear it, but I would like to snuggle up to those whose equally cuddly sweaters, for example, can smell of it, and not just the sweater ....ups ...:)
I now read the chemical broth brewed without love everywhere here ...hmm, hmm ...Can't agree.

So after a long time I did several taster rounds through a local turquoise a few weeks ago ...stayed exclusively in the men's department, so to speak ...sprayed on dear old acquaintances like Aramis and Zino, yes, yes ...memories ...'just good!'.
Versace L'Homme, who -naturally- shimmers in innumerable colours in contrast to the tone-soft 'Y', is unfortunately already missed everywhere in perfumeries today, it remains the duty free or online purchase. What is ok, since known, proven, persistently very beloved.

But now ...after all the stupid Chanels, also Dylan-Blues and Erosse :-) really -absolut- left me cold ...the grip to YSl's 'Y' ...and also to the perfume, by the way.
And ...mmmmmmhhhh ...hey: WOW, that smells GUUUUT . But no, Momenterl times :), what is so badly scolded, therefore, rather again completely slowly :) After one more round through the shop, this time with a heartfelt test, but still with counter-tests of all already listed 'blue' candidates ...Bleu de Chanel, once again only ...shrugging my shoulders, leaves me so deeermassen cold. Dylan Blue ...choke ...:) ...Eros? Sticky vanilla apple sweeteners from sticky tester ....unpleasant. No and no ...
But still 'Y' on the test strip smells soft, warm, soft and my senses say again only- GOOD - ...
So back to him, all the other test strips and also the first strip with already Y in the 'barrel' and again two, three new strips sprayed quite generously and ...and not contamined with even one other fragrance taken home: Let's see if my nose is SO wrong ...the scent from my jacket pocket in the car is already getting unpleasant for me, or at home then something of 'about' ...

And then the positive surprise:
Y LONGES beautiful, pleasant, not annoying, smells cuddly, warm, soft -good .........and that, surprise two, about days, a good week long clearly perceptible in the bathroom, where I deposited the papers, short -before- trash can :-)

And not only does 'Y' simply not annoy partout not, laugh ...but ...I can not get enough to sniff again and again at the stripes ...mmhm-mmhm-mmhm ...delicious !!!

And no, that's NOT how it smells, the cheap shower gel from the discounter .

Yes, it is not particularly complex, the dear Y ...a wonderful gush of very successful bergamot pours itself first over a spraying ...the prelude I LOVE ! And if this prelude were to linger a little longer and more vigorously, before, as here, it soon merges into a warm, spicy cuddly note and then remains unchangeably (and, after all, unchangeably delicious and pleasant!), it would be a sensational throw for me. Because this beginning is really successful !

And with the rest :), which - however - actually and actually as good as he is - unfortunately - has no murderer situation and becomes a little too fast very closely, I also agree very much: Neither is 'Y' a chemical bomb for me, I find it, because really nothing bites, stings, scratches, very pleasant ...nor is it as arbitrary as some people here stamp it:

Yes, the structure is rather simple, yes, no olfactory fireworks of sensory impressions are burned down here, which want to reinvent the fragrance wheel, which you can rub against and which only becomes accessible in a bulky way: Maybe you shouldn't always expect that, not even from YSL ...

But it's NOT enough for me to say 'is no good', like for me all the other blue things listed so far :), which are really connected by 'fabric softener freshness meets paper sweet, somehow woody base' ...no, for me it's a wonderful citrus start with some fruit. Followed by a very -clear- lightly spicy salvia note, which is very self-contained, then it turns into actually ambroxanige cuddling warmth ..........And I would like to sniff it for hours at the man, WITHOUT it becoming 'over' to me !

And it fits, in contrast to the supermegasweet club crackers, which should be reserved for the under 30-year-olds and the crisp and tart Antaeus, green-ripe Macassar or even a Zino and all those like it to almost every man of any age!

'Y' reminds me more, yes, even much more, of some 1990's releases, like the appley-woody Boss Bottled, than of that new-fashion blue stuff :) ¶

And goes at any time of day, night, office and after hours ...he's a rather reserved candidate, who doesn't scream 'here I am, smell me or run away!', he's discreet, but quite -present. yes, a -somewhat- longer durability not only as Skin-Scent would be a plus, so just ...always spray after, or just not too stingy, with the application :) On clothes he actually lasts -especially- long and enduring ...so, simply after only 2, 3 sprayers on the skin he also sprays 2, 3 times into the air, runs through it ...and then -staying - he :)

And I like all that very, very much !

Simply test yourself, let your own nose decide !

And that was now also 'y' I had to write some lines, the whole so extremely biased Bashing he has, like every other fragrance also, simply not deserved ! The rest is, thank God... as always the pure matter of taste ...and you can't argue about that, but you may, of course :-).

I like Y and Yves would NOT rotate in the grave, but smile friendly and calmly and say: everything has its place with me already so ...