Y 2018 Eau de Parfum

Y (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent
Y (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2018. The scent is sweet-fresh. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot GingerGinger AppleApple
Heart Notes Heart NotesSageSage Juniper berryJuniper berry Geranium absoluteGeranium absolute
Base Notes Base NotesAmberwoodAmberwood FrankincenseFrankincense Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 22.05.2022.

Currently, American singer-songwriter Lenny Kravitz is the face of the advertising campaign. Previously, American singer-songwriter Adam Levine (Maroon 5) was chosen for the campaign.

ScentSlaveScentSlave 3 years ago
This is one of my favorite scents EVER; from start to finish, I wear this one with pride; as it kicks the confidence up several notches. Such a smooth opening...
SteelerOperaSteelerOpera 3 years ago
However, I prefer the original Y from 2017. I thought the original was a nice departure from the ambroxan dominant frags that are permeating...

Very sweet
I liked this when I first purchased it. Then as time went on either I became more used to it or the sweet smells of the fragrance became stronger.

When I smell this now it still evokes happy emotions of when I first wore ot, however now if I smell it for more than an 20 minutes it smells horrible. I think the apple or something is too sweet.

Overall it is nice, but too sweet for me to enjoy

Another Brick In The Wall
If you've never smelled Y EDP and are wondering what it smells like, know that Y is nothing more than another warrior in the battle of the blues, featuring Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue Eau de Toilette, Bleu de Chanel Eau de Toilette and Sauvage Eau de Toilette. Luckily, it does not smell like many other recent blue fragrances, which is a good thing, thanks to its fruity and greenish, slightly creamy and fresh, spicy trait. Y EDP is a sweet fragrance with the apple up top and the tonka, but there's a lot more going on.

With light and dark fougère facets, Y EDP blends woody and aromatic accords and reveals itself with a crunchy green apple and ginger with subtle citrus hints. An opening that immediately catches my attention with its creaminess. The apple note, in particular, stands out and gives it a juicy and slightly sweet bite. The head phase is perhaps all too sweet, creepy and loud for me, even though I say it as someone who likes nothing too sweet. I think the sage distorts the apple note a bit. The spicy ginger is also noticeable, and I feel it invigorates the opening so well with the soft creamy bergamot. The citrus peel essence vanishes in a short time, leaving more room for spicy ginger and slightly synthetic apple. Compared to Y EDT, EDP appears less incisive on bergamot and more decisive on apple.

When Y approaches the centre, I get a kind of aromatic fresh sage, now amplified. At first, it works in tandem with the ginger top note before overcoming it. Delicious resinous juniper berries and a hint of geranium pop in. The heady punch from velvety sage isn't too herbal here. A certain dustiness emerges, which slightly reduces the synthetic leading edge. I don't know if it's my skin, but I feel hints of something metallic, perhaps because of the amber and sage molecule. Sage and juniper bring virility in contrast with the elegance of geranium and lavender, two floral notes in the heart with herbaceous facets. Although it is not mentioned, the violet leaf is apparent.

Dry down sets it apart from EDT because it has more heart and soul overall, is more refined, and is a little more grown-up. It exudes sweet, warm and resinous woody accords. Cedar and vetiver sitting on the bottom look more exciting and dynamic to my nose. I get a nice amber wood, a large dose, mixed with a bit of tonka, which gives it warmth and a semisweet. There is just a hint of tonka that releases vanilla undertones and softens its edges without overpowering the other notes. I am happy to catch the light traces of a delicious incense, strengthened by the audacity of smoked vetiver for intensity. Amber and tonka bean give Y EDP a soft warmth, which adds depth and durability to the composition but does not kill its touch of freshness.

As I'm testing it in the middle of January, the freezing winter weather emphasizes resinous, contemplative olibanum and amber wood. I love amber wood, which is less salty and mushy than ambroxan, and it embodies the feeling of walking in a forest with a natural, musky, and woody smell. Y has that out-of-shower vibe, and it's pretty sweet, and I wouldn't wear it for tropical climates as it could be rather sentimental. Discreet for the rest of the year, it fully satisfies the intermediate seasons of autumn and spring and may surprise you on a cool evening during the summer. Besides, many people say it pierces through the cold weather of the winter months. The sillage is acceptable, the longevity is good enough for what it's worth. It sticks well to clothes, so beware of over application. However, it is not faint, and people will surely notice it. Overall, do I like Y EDP? Yup! Will I buy it? Maybe not. I think I have a lot of colonies with that vibe, and I don't need another brick in the wall. However I would appreciate it if I had to receive it as a gift, it is a great perfume.

I base the review on a decant I have owned since March 2021.

-Elysium

Overhyped
Y EdP remains the most popular and highest rated among the five releases in the Y series. While Y EdT has been harshly criticised for being too mainstream and unoriginal (especially when compared to its two illustrious older siblings, L'Homme and La Nuit De L'Homme), I think the praise and hype heaped upon Y EdP are equally undeserved. I received a sample with my order of Bleu Electrique and was I underwhelmed.

I purchased Y EdT when it was released in 2017 because I enjoyed its fruity and airy nature. With the EdP, the lightness of the EdT is gone with the removal of aldehydes, and the sweetness is amplified with the addition of juniper berries, tonka bean and amber wood. The result is fresh sweetness combined with warm sweetness to produce an overall dense sweetness, which I find rather unpleasant. They succeeded in making a more intense and sweeter version of the EdT but it is still to me very one-dimensional. Y EdP could have been better if it was more oriental or woody or aromatic or citrusy or even floral, rather than simply relying on an overabundance of sweet notes.

For the warmer weather or daytime or to wear to work or the gym, I think Y EdT is the more versatile and inoffensive option. For the cooler weather or evenings or to wear on dates, choose Bleu Electrique instead of this; Bleu Electrique is much more refined and appealing, and costs less than Y EdP.
Stand corrected.....
I always thought Y Eau de Parfum was better than the EdT.
Last week I received a sample. And directly times sprayed on.
The freshness of the EdT is somehow not there. Or at least not as strong as the EdT.
In addition, the EdP smells much more synthetic than the toilette.
With me, the composition also gets a slightly musty touch, which I do not like at all.
As soon as it müffelt or oversweet works, everything is lost with me.
The durability is very good with me and the sillage strong and almost intrusive. Another point deduction for me.
I must therefore correct my rating.
The Eau de Toilette is definitely better and more pleasant and also much much fresher.
The EdP I can safely forget and check off.
Boring, simple, HIMMLIC.
Got the fragrance the first time as a free sample purebekommen, where I was still super fresh in terms of perfumes. Spray it on my wrist and wave it around a little bit and... Soap? Shower gel?..

I don't know much about notes or components but: shower gel. How uninspired. As disappointed as I was, I still applied it completely and noticed it in the air repeatedly throughout the day and this was the first time I've ever noticed a scent completely unexpected , so divinely pleasant. The scent hasn't changed much since my initial disappointment a few hours ago but it just smells heavenly pleasant in the air. I find it hard to imagine that there is anyone who happens to not take this scent completely positively in the air.

The scent is super unspectacular and boring and I was all the more surprised that this still smells so fantastic in the air.

I can not determine a fixed period, but the fragrance lasts on my skin seeehr much longer than it is rated here and the sillage is also above average.
Felix356
From a gift to one of my favorites
Back in Douglas. I was looking for a small gift for my father. A fragrance that could accompany him in any situation and is versatile. YSL Y was not unknown to me, the then low price has then finally convinced me. Happy, I went to him with the fragrance strip in my hand and the packaging behind my back and let him sniff it. Inwardly I hoped, "Please tell me you like this scent as much as I do". At first there was no response. He smelled once, twice, three times until he then said he didn't think it was bad but wouldn't buy it. Disappointed, I showed him the wrapped gift and had already exchanged it inside.

After thinking about it for a while, I kept the perfume then but for myself. In retrospect, the absolutely right decision. So it was the next morning. I prepared myself for school and sprayed the first time YSL Y on my neck. Now guess who the first compliment came from? That's right, from the person who was supposed to own the fragrance. From that point on, it still remained mine.

Due to the rather sweet character, it was perhaps not the best perfume for a middle-aged man. With my 18 years, however, not a bad choice. A very versatile fragrance, with which you basically can not go wrong.

YSL Y: one for the big crowd. Certainly not a unique perfume. Certainly many own him. Certainly but also not a bad fragrance. No 10/10, but the vast majority finds the fragrance pleasant and attractive. As explained from my point of view more suitable for younger people. Be it in the club, at school or on a date, it actually always fits. Who likes Sauvage or Acqua di Gio should at least try it.

With me he has found his place. If I am undecided or find nothing suitable it often becomes this. Simply uncomplicated.
Blazn67
The Swiss army knife of fragrances
With this fragrance you get virtually a Swiss army knife of fragrances - a super all-rounder, which can be used very versatile.

I got the fragrance as an addition to my collection. He smells fantastically good (not too sweet, not too synthetic, not too intrusive, not too weak) and is thus very versatile.

The durability is absolutely fine. The sillage I actually like very much - remains very consistent, even over several hours. If there is ever a sale, you should definitely strike. Because as already mentioned. You can actually wear the fragrance for any occasion and any season.
Good office fragrance
Initially, I wrote here a statement about the fragrance, because I was of the opinion that Y is just another for me good Acquat the possibly not such a special story as Acqua die Gio has.

However, it almost hurts me how this really great fragrance is partially torn apart here. For me, it is actually unimaginable how to get from a fragrance nausea, I had at least never.

About the fragrance: citrus, apple and ginger to start. Sage joins later and through the amber wood and incense he gets the masculinity.
I'm a suit wearer and really like to wear it in the office, where I also got the one or other positive feedback from colleagues, here specifically female. I do not necessarily need compliments for fragrances, as far as I hear nothing negative already fits. Ultimately, I wear a fragrance for me and not for whom else.

The durability is with me between 6-8 hours, whereby he performs 6 hours really well and then the last two hours fades out and is only subtly perceptible. For me, perfectly fine. On clothes of course longer.

The sillage is perfectly adequate. I pull a small beautiful cloud behind and my office is not entirely filled with Y. From the her for me suitable.

Of course, you could use Y for other purposes than the office. He also goes to the party or to the date. I personally own but other fragrances that I would prefer.

In conclusion, I am of the opinion that Y will please everyone who has, for example, joy in Sauvage or Acqua di Gio and does not have to hide behind those. Just because Sauvage really almost everyone owns.
Sweet cocktail at the beach bar in Gran Canaria
This fragrance was a spontaneous purchase back in 2018 on holiday in Gran Canaria.
To me was then my beloved A&F Fierce banged on the floor in the hotel.
1 week smelled at least the bathroom dream

It was a sultry evening in Gran Canaria when I entered the perfumery and spontaneously tested myself in search of a holiday fragrance.

Then it was Y's turn.
Boom: what a strong scent DNA that was pulling around my nose. A total reset for my nose. Very unique at that time in its DNA.

Fruity, citrusy, with strong biting sweetness in the foreground. Actually, just right for a club night in a beach bar outdoors.

This is how it's supposed to be. So far, Y has always been on board for cocktail bars and summer nights out. Especially on vacation.

A fragrance with which I have never really smelled full to this day.
Sillage: very strong (even outdoors)

Fragrance Character: very sweet, but bearable. Good rounding. Not annoying.

Sage and apple clearly dominates here in the opening.
Simji
Solid sage / rose geranium everyday fragrance
That the YSL - Y EDP no groundbreaking fragrance experience holds, that is probably clear to everyone here. Nevertheless, I think the fragrance has its raison d'être, even if I personally am not a big fan of it.

Generally, I could divide the journey into 3 clear phases:

The opening is dominated by apple, ginger and citrus notes. Unfortunately, the apple comes across a bit artificial for me here, so that the association with my daily shampoo "Head & Shoulders" came to me immediately. Surely there are also men who like this, but for me it is a little too "youthful".

However...

The apple and citrus notes fade surprisingly quickly (10-15 minutes) and what remains is sage as the main note, supported by the rose geranium. The fragrance is from this point on so simply clean and has for me something of soap, which I find quite not bad. From here the fragrance is then also suitable for men ü25 ;-)

From many other fragrance notes that are specified, such as incense and tonka, is unfortunately missing any trace.

After about 6 hours on the skin then say goodbye to sage and rose geranium and what remains is actually the first time really masculine for my taste: it is the amber wood, which has not really shown up to now. This then sounds out another 2 hours, until finally nothing more is perceptible.

Conclusion:

It is opinion after a solid everyday fragrance without corners and edges, the opening is probably more suitable for the younger semester...

H/S are slightly above average and the bottle looks really classy in my opinion.

In my collection he will not stay, because for me the "certain something" is missing. For someone who is looking for a no-brainer (not meant negatively) and Ambroxanbomben like DIOR Sauvage & Co. would like to do without, YSL-Y EDP but a good alternative.

ElysiumElysium 4 months ago
It’s mostly about the apple and sage notes, sweet and herbal spice, wrapped in amber with a woody and smoky base nuance. Safe and ordinary.
JMWeedJMWeed 6 months ago
My favorite blue scent. The apple fruitiness in the opening cuts down on the sharpness and gives it a sweeter more palpable aroma.
LaurentiuLaurentiu 6 months ago
An aromatic and sweetened ginger with a quite high dose of ambroxan. Versatile, fresh and very good performance. I agree it's mainstream
Shafkat82Shafkat82 1 year ago
A perfect mainstream designer fragrance . Compliment magnet with above average performance. Great job by YSL after Nuit de l'Homme (Old).
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 1 year ago
Synthetic but pleasant. Apple, sage and ambroxan all the way through. Simple but works great.
GreMuserGreMuser 1 year ago
Synthetic-sweet generic for teenagers.
Nik604Nik604 1 year ago
Just another ethyl maltol bomb for 17 years old...the main buyers for such an expensive pretense.
Arman038Arman038 1 year ago
Youthful, fresh-sweet, sexy and it lasts for about 8 to 9 hours. Do you want more?
TsoTso 2 years ago
Sweet & fresh compliment pulling mass-pleaser. If you want to smell pleasant to 'everyone' around you, wear this. And get complimented.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 years ago
Blue scent that opens with a synthetic apple and some citrus. In the drydown, you get sage with some sweetness and tonka. Boring scent.

by Eigemann
by Tracker
by Sia23
by Sia23

Popular by Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2002) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2011) / M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent