Y (2018) Eau de Parfum

Y (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent

Y (Eau de Parfum) is a new perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2018. The scent is synthetic-sweet. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Ginger, Apple
Heart Notes Heart NotesSage, Juniper berry, Geranium absolute
Base Notes Base NotesAmberwood, Frankincense, Tonka bean

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 18.04.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is singer-songwriter Adam Levine.

8.0 7.0 7.0 7.0/10

Like a fresh shower!
Hiya! You people who like to sniff things! And perfumes, I suppose :D
Here I am again (my God, that sounds like a plague!) and bring you a new comment! And that to one of the newer fragrances of Yves Saint Laurent, namely Y pour Homme (EDP).

Uff... it's hard to find the scent here on Parfumo right away, because the scent name consists of only one letter and therefore everything else is listed by YSL instead,... :DD To be honest, I quickly entered the scent name in combination with the terms Parfumo, EDP and YSL in Google to find the scent page of Parfumo faster than here on Parfumo :DD

Anyway, some time ago, actually a few years ago, I had tried all the L'Homme fragrances of this brand, and there were great ones among them, and of course less good ones. With Y in 2017 something completely new came again, and somehow I just never got to test this fragrance here. And I still don't know the EDT that came first. So this won't be a comparison test between the EDT and the EDP, but I'll just have a look at how the fragrance smells here, which doesn't seem to go down very well, but as I said, just have a look!

The fragrance:
The fragrance starts quite synthetic (which was to be expected with such mainstreamers, so everything is good) and smells of apple, berry fruits, some ginger and generally aquatic fresh notes, which remind of a fresh shower gel. I know it doesn't sound so exhilarating, it's actually nothing special, but at least it's not exactly for running away.
It remains fresh and synthetic even a little later, in addition to sweet scents from the tonka bean, which also give the fragrance a light, powdery touch. Finally, in the base one smells more and more the tonka bean, which still smells synthetic, and above all woody scents.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The charisma is above average good and will therefore be reasonably good at a smellable. The shelf life is also quite okay, because the fragrance lasts eight hours well.

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular, has a dark colour gradient and has the special feature that the metal "label" with the fragrance name, which only consists of the letter Y, was actually incorporated as a Y-shape into the glass design and has a corresponding "optical crease" on the side, which is a creative and great idea and gives the already noble looking bottle an even more beautiful look. The lid is cylindrical and also has a dotted diamond pattern. A hell of a bottle.

Soo, that was the new or one of the new men's fragrances from YSL. First of all: It is not a total catastrophe, as some might call it here, but of course it is all a matter of taste as always. I would say that the scent was unnecessary, because at the beginning and in the middle part it reminded a little of the L'Homme scents (of which there are so many) or at least has their DNA, so that a clearly differently smelling scent would have been better, but well, in the base the scent is at least more woody, even if some similarities remain.

Of course, as an absolute mainstreamer he is very synthetic, which is a pity, because the synthetic note is not too bad, but the fragrance is much too similar to many other mainstreamers and actually has absolutely nothing new or interesting to show, which you wouldn't have already smelled everywhere anyway. The fragrance is therefore very interchangeable, even if it doesn't really smell bad, and in my opinion it can only score with the YSL brand and above all the great flacon design.

It is usable in spring and summer, well, autumn too, so it is almost an all-rounder. In my opinion it is suitable both as a leisure time or daily fragrance as well as a good place to go out. You can test it, but you don't have to. And if you don't know the YSL men's fragrances yet, then I'd rather take a look at fragrances like the original L'Homme or La Nuit de L'Homme. Sure, these are also synthetic and meanwhile olfactory similar to many other fragrances (it's normal, because with every year more fragrances appear than usual...), but for me they smell a bit better than this one.

Well, that's that again, I wish you a nice evening! If I don't publish a Kommi on one of the Easter days, I wish you all a nice Easter, but I'll probably write at least one more comment, and maybe even a blog, who knows who knows, let's see... :)
See you then!
8.0 4.0 5.0 3.5/10

Oh, holy Laurenz...
YSL has quite good fragrances in its program. OK, not all of them last very long and also the radiance is not always what you expect from the price - unless you use M7. Nevertheless, YSL in itself is a guarantee that you get something you can wear. Exceptions confirm the rule. Y EdP is the exception!
Out with the ghost out of the bottle: Relatively simply sniff out the bergamot, apple and ginger could also be white what. The first few seconds were enough for me, really enough. You want me to put a Hunnie there for some cheap soap?!? Well, maybe he'll be here. Oh, yeah, there's something going on. Rosengeranium could also be a pepper and sage mix. Oh, the sage is actually there, but the juniper berry? Nah, all that can't be clearly identified. And again, I've had enough. But hey, that's a YSL, there must be something going on. A bit of wood, ok, incense, which could rather be a dimmed down version of the pepper-sage mix and a Tonka, which is not necessarily Tonka. Hello???
What the hell are you doing? Even if it reads differently: the fragrance has almost no course; one-dimensional wasteland made on the cheapest. Have you already gone through all the scent combinations? Do the regulations with their forbidden ingredients leave you so little room for manoeuvre? No, my dears from YSL, you haven't done yourself any favors. The Synthetikgebräu does not know durability and Sillage either, no matter if it says EdP once or twenty times. Sorry, but you can keep it under "Production stopped", nobody will cry a tear for it...

At least something learned again: if the bottle and/or broth is in blue, there is often an above-average below-average scent in it. Thank God exceptions confirm the rule. And Y is no exception from this point of view.
6.0 7.0 7.0 5.0/10

Leimbacher
Three times zero is zero is zero
Two years ago YSL's new men's fragrance "Y" harvested the worst tear from me. Since then my opinion about him has hardly changed, despite a few more encounters. He's staying Axe level with Murks. That's why I was of course skeptical or afraid of the new EdP, but you should avoid or repress this, because every new fragrance deserves a chance that is as objective and unbiased as possible. So here's my opinion: I like the EdP better. But anyone who reads my commentary on EdT knows that this does not mean a good fragrance for a long time...

"Y(EdP)" is quite close to the original and is clearly a flanker or a compression of the original DNA. This is no longer a matter of course nowadays, I have already smelled EdPs or EdCs that only had the name in common with their father scent. Here the relationship is not to be denied. Still hellishly synthetic, unnatural, viscous and artificially fruity. An apple straight from the Wicked Witch. Only with the EdP somehow more distinguished and higher quality. Still cheap and not my taste, no recommendation and not worth 20€ for me, but far more portable than the EDT. The EdP behaves roughly like "Sauvage EdP" to its original and "Y EdP" is superior in all respects. It is better made, juicier, more mature, darker and has a better performance. A bitter apple from the chemistry lab, but in a fine twist. The juniper berry gives a little more character and maturity. Tonka hardly pulls anymore, seems sludgled. No more jokes, but no more full-length shows. "Y EdP" is still extremely close to men's shower gel from the supermarket, the bad sides of the zeitgeist, the uselessness. Only this time with a little thicker eggs and a fuller wallet.

Flacon: I like the dark shade very much. But I'm horrified enough at the content that it hardly pulls..
Sillage: you can tell it's an EdP. The feeling is right. Poet and noble.
Durability: also here - EdP through and through. 9 hours.

Conclusion: Synthetic in a suit. Artificiality in dense. Better than the original and in any case preferable. If you want a "Y" so badly. But unfortunately that doesn't mean much...
10.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Basti87
Herb-fresh daily fragrance with pleasant sweetness
This is an update to my comment. I had already written a comment a few months ago, replace it now that I liked it better and better. Meanwhile it is even in my collection. Y EDP is a fragrance that hasn't knocked me out from the start. I think he's got something, though, that I totally like.
The EDT of this fragrance was rather an interchangeable fragrance with very moderate performance. I found a form where you could get a free sample of the EDP from YSL. Of course I wore one for free. My expectations weren't that high. I think the EDT is solid, but for me it is one of many, also because of bad performance and for this fragrance also a little overpriced. Otherwise just a pale scent that doesn't flash me.
About the EDP: I got the sample and I liked it right away. Not in such a way that I wanted him immediately, but I found him very interesting. I used the sample more than once and I liked it better and better. Finally I bought this for 70 Euro a 100ml. Not cheap, but YSL-usual and because of good performance also rather worth the money than the rather pale EDT. Also from the scent: I feel it clearly more distinctive with more depth and a beautiful freshness.
From the fragrance type for me the perfect day fragrance for casual types. It is casual, modern, masculine, fresh, self-confident and also with corners and edges. On the whole, however, it is an all-rounder that is suitable for many occasions thanks to its uncomplicated freshness. The opening is extremely strong with synthetic, but it settles quickly and becomes softer. At the start there is apple present. Smells like a green sour apple, bitter and unsweet. And bergamot. Fresh and well equipped. This apple is extremely long present and provides an uncomplicated feeling. What is quickly added is sage, which makes up a large part of this fragrance. Also geranium, a very pleasant note which I like very much is well perceptible here. All in all a great fresh-herb-fruity mixture that is not overstrained. Also a pleasant sweetness is present in this fragrance and fits well into this fragrance aura. As a twin or roughly the direction it reminds me of Invictus Aqua, Rasasi's Hawas or Montblanc Legend Spirit.
I'm not surprised that this scent doesn't get off so well. From the fragrance DNA it simply does not fit into the baggage scheme of the users present here. But I can say: In "real" life, it certainly goes down well. Also on youtube it comes off very well (no, not only Jeremy :-)). It is rather secondary for me, but shows how different tastes are. I don't understand the eternal shower gel debate. Especially scents of the day should be pleasant to accompany and not as complex as possible. But of course: If you don't like such scent DNA's then that's the way it is and I don't bother about it.
The bottle is really an eye-catcher with a beautiful colour gradient. Very nobly processed and fits beautifully into every collection.
Also the performance: Super! Can't understand the criticism in some statements. 8 hours he keeps loose what is really good for a fresh scent. Sillage's top of the line, too. Extreme in the beginning, pleasant afterwards and perceptible far beyond arm's length. I'm happy.
As a conclusion I say: A great year-round fragrance that suits many occasions. Uncomplicated, modern, casual. Especially as a day fragrance for me a good choice if you are not too "business". One or two compliments will certainly be received.
10.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Epic masterpiece here
This is one of my favorite scents EVER; from start to finish, I wear this one with pride; as it kicks the confidence up several notches. Such a smooth opening That entices with its freshness, leading you into bliss as it slides into mid tones that ooze with swagger, and carry anyone who gets caught in your storm into a heavenly bliss. Fantastic in every facet.
8.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Wiesel132
Who actually determines whether a fragrance is 'good'?
What criteria are used in such an assessment? Is it the ingredients? The durability? The Sillage? Whether a fragrance smells synthetic or not? The first impression when a fragrance is smelled for the first time? Childhood memories of a positive or negative experience? Compliments you get or don't get? It is certain that all the criteria mentioned are included in the evaluation of a fragrance, but each person is assessed individually. Everyone has different experiences, different perceptions and a different attitude towards life. An individual story. That's what's exciting about life.

For me, Y in the EdP version is a real flatterer in the nose. He makes me feel good. He increases my self-confidence. Y begins fruity fresh, the apple-bergamot combination gives a great start, even if it has already been smelt in many fragrances. Yeah, it smells slightly synthetic, but does that automatically make it bad? Personally, I don't think so. Durability is very good on my skin with at least 7-8 hours. It also does very well to project from my skin. I can still perceive it very well after 3 hours without leading the sprayed area to the nose. It remains relatively linear, with the original slight freshness gradually disappearing from the opening and a wooden sweet tonka base appearing. I like him all the time. From my point of view, it can be used in many ways and is suitable for every situation. However, I am of the opinion that any fragrance can be worn if you feel like it yourself, if it gives you a good feeling. Certainly some things are more adequate in various situations than others. Simply also of social thinking will. Y, however, I do not find in any situation inappropriate or disturbing. Both a super everyday companion and a fragrance for special occasions. I myself feel well and I shouldn't disturb most of my fellow men with this scent. But it does not have the potential to fill a whole room with 2 sprays. So far there have been some compliments with this fragrance.
The bottle looks pretty on the shelf, looks noble and is also well processed. Unfortunately no magnetic cap, which I would have wished with the price, which it carries at present still.

To get back to the question of origin: It's up to me to decide whether a fragrance is good or not. Each person decides this individually according to their own criteria, which they set themselves. I'm a big fan of the new Y and I love to wear it!
10.0 10.0 3.0/10

SteelerOpera
Sweeter than the original and better performance
However, I prefer the original Y from 2017. I thought the original was a nice departure from the ambroxan dominant frags that are permeating designer fragrances now. This one is a much better performer, but to me hints of foul ambroxan.

Reaper2507
Good scent - and still bad - or not?
Tested him at the Douglas. A neat "clean man" smells... The same as Sauvage ; Blue de Chanell; or others of this category... the problem with this category "shower gel perfume" is for me the 1-2 rich. I found him very nice and pleasant and I'm sure he also comes very well so the rating he has here is very UNFAIR it is a TOP fragrance... But I already have Sauvage and Blue and that's enough... If I didn't have a collection yet, I'd say test him out of a beautiful clean man with his own frish spicy character... Really good! For all those who never want more than 2 of this fragrance category like me FINGER WEG or rotate it if you have the opportunity to do so once in ! In general I think he is very good in this category
8.0 6.0 7.0 7.0/10

Chevalier
It's dangerous to stick to the past. You just have to keep going. Robert Redford
This was probably what the people in charge thought when they brought out the Y eau de toilette after la nuit and now the eau de parfum. It's not every day one to win, that's what I thought when I first smelled this somewhat heavier one.
The spiciness is fine, even the heaviness is not bad for a perfume or rather a would-be perfume, yet I am missing something. If I look at the scent and compare it with my nose, then probably everything was done right.
Now I thought I was getting a little closer, the bergamot, which is used for almost every second scent, is somehow out of place here. For a somewhat stronger course I would have personally reached into the orange drawer. Somehow this mountainmouthed appearance is too weak. The apple comes too fast and makes the scent somehow ordinary, What many were amazed when the la nuit de l`homme came out, there the sensory perceptions were completely overmanned by the novelty. But here? Unfortunately, no, the confusion with scents from DM or other low-cost suppliers is too close Sage, juniper berry? Not a clue here either.
Only the woody comes out in the end. For a fragrance which is however in the higher segment of Lòreal, certainly not a glorious leaf.
Here the gentlemen would have held on better to the past despite danger, and reformulated the la nuit again in again a somewhat stronger variant.
This one? Except marketing, unfortunately, not much
8.0 7.0 5.0 4.0/10

Bluestopy
Cheap aftershave for a lot of money
Several years ago I bought the aftershave "X-Bolt" from Lidl for 4 € and yesterday I got this perfume as a perfume sample. There it immediately reminded me of it. Then I tested the difference and found only that this one is a little sweeter and does not smell so alcoholic. For DM for 10 € in order but not for 70
8.0 3.0 3.0 5.0/10

Why Y?
Y - here's the name program. Why does YSL launch such a fragrance? Completely innovationless - in a drugstore or a supermarket you reach for a bottle with light blue-transparent contents, optionally with the inscription "Acqua", "fresh" or "Blue", and get Y. No unique selling point, no performance. Antonio Banderas - Blue seduction smells very similar, longer and is available for significantly less Euros
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Emancipated
Today I discovered Y and immediately curiously took a spray.

The Ur Ladies Y is still my favorite, and that already for years.

When I bought it in Frankfurt at that time, the saleswoman said in the most beautiful Hessian: Isch hase this fragrance !
Which sounds completely unagressive in this cozy dialect.
At home the sweetheart cheered : Hellish - ah hellish !

The scent clearly polarized.

And the new Y for the Lord will also divide the camps.

I like his sweet spice, which is mysteriously surrounded by incense.
The flowers give a slightly feminine touch and Tonka makes Y round and soft.

A unisex scent, or for very emancipated men who dare something.
They're supposed to be tough guys, but they stand by their feelings with confidence.
These are my loved ones.

Bold bikers who sometimes wipe away a tear when reading Heine.
Intrepid snowboarders who proudly take their mini dog for a walk.
Those who hear AC/ DC and Enya softly.
Pithy nature boys who pause to sniff at a rose.
Who offer a wide shoulder to lean on - but who are also looking for me.

Is there this species man?

Yeah - 'cause I married one of them.

8.0 4.0 5.0 8.0/10

Shanghailove
Y ...all the bashing !??!
Exactly: Y all the bashing ?
Because something 'only' ...according to personal taste, of course ...GUT smells ?
And e.g. a provocatively named, but actually only vera..lberndes likewise - more thin-fruity little water like 'I am Trash' by Etwat Libre D'Orange is tried at fantasy price to bring to the niche conoisseur ? :)
So: very spontaneous, but what must be, must be :-), speak:

I -must - just take countermeasures here :)! Yes, I generally also love more classic-complex scents, with a clear, interesting and always new and multi-facetted perfume.
Example man :), Versace L'Homme ...Example woman, yes, the cheap, but not cheap 'Gloria', by G. Vanderbilt ...

But it doesn't always have to be the Mega-Wummser of e.g. the 1980's, a rather linear, spicy, wellbeing fruity alcoholic summer water, like D&G's L'Imperatrice or Mugler's Womanity inspire me ... because I am a woman, yes :)

Now however ...Why some more words to Y? ...Because !

Because I find the fragrance MIRACULOUS first thing. Yeah, right. Because I can't even get enough of him at the moment, it may be because he also fits so well to the current dream autumn weather. Starting with a hint of splashy freshness of summer still, followed by late apple harvest, ripen us sweet, in slightly smoky clear autumn air, ending in the evening in front of the fireplace, still surrounded by light freshness, sweetness, incense. Definitive and -pure- masculine, by the way, I wouldn't wear it, but I would like to snuggle up to those whose equally cuddly sweaters, for example, can smell of it, and not just the sweater ....ups ...:)
I now read the chemical broth brewed without love everywhere here ...hmm, hmm ...Can't agree.

So after a long time I did several taster rounds through a local turquoise a few weeks ago ...stayed exclusively in the men's department, so to speak ...sprayed on dear old acquaintances like Aramis and Zino, yes, yes ...memories ...'just good!'.
Versace L'Homme, who -naturally- shimmers in innumerable colours in contrast to the tone-soft 'Y', is unfortunately already missed everywhere in perfumeries today, it remains the duty free or online purchase. What is ok, since known, proven, persistently very beloved.

But now ...after all the stupid Chanels, also Dylan-Blues and Erosse :-) really -absolut- left me cold ...the grip to YSl's 'Y' ...and also to the perfume, by the way.
And ...mmmmmmhhhh ...hey: WOW, that smells GUUUUT . But no, Momenterl times :), what is so badly scolded, therefore, rather again completely slowly :) After one more round through the shop, this time with a heartfelt test, but still with counter-tests of all already listed 'blue' candidates ...Bleu de Chanel, once again only ...shrugging my shoulders, leaves me so deeermassen cold. Dylan Blue ...choke ...:) ...Eros? Sticky vanilla apple sweeteners from sticky tester ....unpleasant. No and no ...
But still 'Y' on the test strip smells soft, warm, soft and my senses say again only- GOOD - ...
So back to him, all the other test strips and also the first strip with already Y in the 'barrel' and again two, three new strips sprayed quite generously and ...and not contamined with even one other fragrance taken home: Let's see if my nose is SO wrong ...the scent from my jacket pocket in the car is already getting unpleasant for me, or at home then something of 'about' ...

And then the positive surprise:
Y LONGES beautiful, pleasant, not annoying, smells cuddly, warm, soft -good .........and that, surprise two, about days, a good week long clearly perceptible in the bathroom, where I deposited the papers, short -before- trash can :-)

And not only does 'Y' simply not annoy partout not, laugh ...but ...I can not get enough to sniff again and again at the stripes ...mmhm-mmhm-mmhm ...delicious !!!

And no, that's NOT how it smells, the cheap shower gel from the discounter .

Yes, it is not particularly complex, the dear Y ...a wonderful gush of very successful bergamot pours itself first over a spraying ...the prelude I LOVE ! And if this prelude were to linger a little longer and more vigorously, before, as here, it soon merges into a warm, spicy cuddly note and then remains unchangeably (and, after all, unchangeably delicious and pleasant!), it would be a sensational throw for me. Because this beginning is really successful !

And with the rest :), which - however - actually and actually as good as he is - unfortunately - has no murderer situation and becomes a little too fast very closely, I also agree very much: Neither is 'Y' a chemical bomb for me, I find it, because really nothing bites, stings, scratches, very pleasant ...nor is it as arbitrary as some people here stamp it:

Yes, the structure is rather simple, yes, no olfactory fireworks of sensory impressions are burned down here, which want to reinvent the fragrance wheel, which you can rub against and which only becomes accessible in a bulky way: Maybe you shouldn't always expect that, not even from YSL ...

But it's NOT enough for me to say 'is no good', like for me all the other blue things listed so far :), which are really connected by 'fabric softener freshness meets paper sweet, somehow woody base' ...no, for me it's a wonderful citrus start with some fruit. Followed by a very -clear- lightly spicy salvia note, which is very self-contained, then it turns into actually ambroxanige cuddling warmth ..........And I would like to sniff it for hours at the man, WITHOUT it becoming 'over' to me !

And it fits, in contrast to the supermegasweet club crackers, which should be reserved for the under 30-year-olds and the crisp and tart Antaeus, green-ripe Macassar or even a Zino and all those like it to almost every man of any age!

'Y' reminds me more, yes, even much more, of some 1990's releases, like the appley-woody Boss Bottled, than of that new-fashion blue stuff :) ¶

And goes at any time of day, night, office and after hours ...he's a rather reserved candidate, who doesn't scream 'here I am, smell me or run away!', he's discreet, but quite -present. yes, a -somewhat- longer durability not only as Skin-Scent would be a plus, so just ...always spray after, or just not too stingy, with the application :) On clothes he actually lasts -especially- long and enduring ...so, simply after only 2, 3 sprayers on the skin he also sprays 2, 3 times into the air, runs through it ...and then -staying - he :)

And I like all that very, very much !

Simply test yourself, let your own nose decide !

And that was now also 'y' I had to write some lines, the whole so extremely biased Bashing he has, like every other fragrance also, simply not deserved ! The rest is, thank God... as always the pure matter of taste ...and you can't argue about that, but you may, of course :-).

I like Y and Yves would NOT rotate in the grave, but smile friendly and calmly and say: everything has its place with me already so ...

IanFriedrich 49 days ago
Paying $115 for 100ml, mass pleasing, synthetic fragrance with average longevity? No thanks! The scent is nice, it just too expensive.+1
10.0