Y 2018 Eau de Parfum

Y (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent
Y (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for men and was released in 2018. The scent is sweet-synthetic. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Ginger, Apple
Heart Notes Heart NotesSage, Juniper berry, Geranium absolute
Base Notes Base NotesAmberwood, Frankincense, Tonka bean

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 02.05.2021.

Currently, American singer-songwriter Lenny Kravitz is the face of the advertising campaign. Previously, American singer-songwriter Adam Levine (Maroon 5) was chosen for the campaign.

"Karma, karma, karma, karma Chameleon" Easter review
Moin you crazy perfumos,

(Who just wants to read a quick review, it starts as always below :-D)

first of all, I'd like to wish you all a very happy Easter. I hope the old hobble bunny makes a stop at your house too. Even though Easter will be in a small circle this year, my daughter (5 yrs) old is already excited.

"Daddy we definitely need carrots for the Easter bunny!" she shouted loudly through the supermarket yesterday, holding the biggest bunch of carrots she could grab.

And so, late yesterday afternoon, we were still decorating our living quarters with carrots for the Easter Bunny. So now nothing can go wrong ;-)

But back to the perfume world:

After my review of "La vie est belle" has made surprisingly high waves here last week and was discussed very controversial in the comments (it was mainly about the differentiation of the term "mainstream"), we take today another "mainstream" fragrance before, which came here initially very badly away.

First of all, I would like to mention again that it is the comment on "La vie est belle" but also in this comment solely my opinion that no one must share.
Me (personally) is always about perfume reviews, however, that a fragrance is evaluated with the standards that it deserves and that are appropriate.

Briefly for understanding, I find the Xerjoff Star Musk overall nicer than the Light Blue intense. And yet, the Light Blue intense got a 10 from me. Because in what it is (namely a cheap, fresh summer scent) , it is unbeatable.

And when I dig through these comments here, I shudder at one or two of them. The reasons for most of the bad reviews here often read the same. "Too sweet, too synthetic"

But also here.....Mal hand on the heart. With what expectation one goes then to a fragrance, if this is categorized here on Parfumo at the top with "The fragrance is sweet-synthetic." ?
So I expect then mostly a sweet and synthetic fragrance. Unbelievable that exactly these qualities are so argued here. What was the expectation then? That the fragrance smells spicy-powdery???

Who does not like sweet and synthetic, but knows beforehand that this fragrance is probably out of the question. And yet this fragrance is then made exactly that to the reproach. I like e.g. no rose fragrances, yet I can evaluate a rose fragrance quite objectively and also with a 10. Even if I don't like the scent or the direction. The fragrance can't do anything about that. And if I can not attach this objectivity, then I do not evaluate.

The Y is accused here punitively, in addition to its scandalous sweet-synthetic, the lack of uniqueness. Two things about this. First, I don't understand the need for uniqueness in general, but everyone has to decide for themselves whether uniqueness should be a criterion. On the other hand, I think you can smell this fragrance among many. Also, a look at the fragrance twins here reveals that this scent doesn't sniff as right as others. So I am sure I would recognize this one blindly. Of course, the scent direction is quite familiar. But the fragrance is still not a clin of another - and also similarities to other fragrances I see at most remote.

But let's just start with the review. :-) and again in advance. I will also try with this fragrance to give an objective assessment. For this, I will also briefly say in the future, as what I rate this fragrance. I will keep this in the future also in such a way. So, let's get started

*Rating for a sweet-synthetic, fresh designer fragrance*

Flacon: 8/10.

Solid, heavy, good sprayer. Simple, but beautiful design - I like it.

Fragrance: 8/10

The scent starts with a neat sweet apple-ginger mix. This is, unsurprisingly, synthetic, almost like an apple-flavored Hubba Bubba. The top note is already fierce and also only suitable for people who like sweet scents. I do (from time to time) and I actually quite like the top note. Less might have been more here for some, but I like it. And I personally am of the opinion if sweet, then it may also briefly loud. :-) And I can reassure everyone, the hefitge sweetness gets "better". Because the bergamot, but especially aldehydes already ensure in the top notes that the fragrance gets the necessary freshness. The heart notes, especially the sage, then give the fragrance its own character. The sage is clearly perceptible, but not penetrating. On the contrary, in the interplay with the geranium results here in a surprisingly good combination.

For the biggest surprise, however, the fragrance provided me after about 4-5 hours. Because the sweetness is now almost completely stepped into the background and what remains is a pretty masculine, slightly woody and fresh scent. This twist I would not have trusted the fragrance after the read comments at all and I was really surprised. This, but noticeable fragrance development I would not have expected at all. Many designers smell but quite linear and change at most nuances. (Which is totally okay!) But Y really smells completely different in the base than in the top note. The fragrance evolves from a sweet-synthetic scent to a woody freshness. Like a chameleon, he changes yet very much.

Short form: first loud, sweet-synthetic bubblegum "teen" scent (I like it) - then later a real sage-wood freshman with slight residual sweetness

Durability: 9/10

let's make it short, 9 hours = 9 points, on the clothes even the next day clearly smell

Sillage: 8/10

quite decent, the top note is present for two hours for everyone. After that, still anything but skin

Wearability: 8.5/10

Like almost all blue a classic all-rounder. But please casual. To the suit or business outfit would now be nothing for me. I personally do not need the work. Otherwise, the but always and everywhere. For me, by the way, the perfect fragrance for a summer outdoor festival. Because exactly there is the combination of sweet-loud and yet fresh but just right.

Compliments: 9.5/10

I have the fragrance only since a week (big thanks again to Mente for the uncomplicated, fair and fast Soukdeal) and wore it the day before yesterday in the office. Since everyone there knows that I have a "perfume problem" and wear a different fragrance almost every day, they pay attention to my scent. :-). And what can I say? Especially the ladies in the office thought the scent (especially the top note!!!) was great. Also my wife loves him (which is unsurprising - she loves almost all sweet fragrances)

Price/Performance: 6/10

The biggest weakness from the fragrance. Because for what he wants to be he is then at least 15% too expensive. But this applies to all known, blue fragrances (except the super cheap Dylan Blue )

But even here, in the sale you can also buy the halfway cheap (200ml 85.00 €)

Conclusion: A fragrance that is described with sweet-synthetic starts unsurprisingly sweet-synthetic. And then transforms surprisingly well into an everyday, blue, fresh fragrance with residual sweetness. H/S great, P/L okay at sale. I like it and was even surprised by the scent development. Blindbuykandidat.

As always hanseatische greetings⚓
Beautiful and versatile fragrance
With 7.3 comes the fragrance overall in my opinion too bad away. Apple and bergamot are very good at the beginning, but rather something synthetic to perceive. Ginger I smell here strangely not out. The synthetic fades somewhat with time and the heart note I perceive as very pleasant.

In general, this is more of a "more modern fragrance", which is very well received by the masses and especially by many women. On U30 I would not limit him now, because he can be worn confidently Ü30. Is less about age, more about the appearance / characteristics of a person.

The durability is top with me and almost on Sauvage level. Sillage is not quite as "loud" as the Sauvage EdT, however, just in the first hour very strong for a rather fresher fragrance.

In general, a very versatile fragrance that you can wear well dosed even in the office. Otherwise, a great alternative to the now too widespread Sauvage for the young audience such as students, etc.. With the performance, it is of course also a nice alternative for the summer.

Conclusion: By far the best "Y" of the series.
Alternative to Invictus?
I don't know exactly why, but the scent reminds me a bit of Invictus by Paco Rabanne. In my opinion, Y has a similar sweetness, but still also woody and masculine notes, which make this fragrance a good all-rounder. Similar to Invictus, Y is probably best suited for young men (U30).
Since Invictus is now a bit outdated and unfortunately anything but unique, I think this fragrance might be a good alternative
Sqmax
Unusually unique with a great ending
Strong prelude.
At the beginning I smell especially the bergamot, a splash of (synthetic) apple and the whole pleasantly subtle underpinned by ginger.
The further course appeals to me personally olfactory not particularly, because although the fresh notes disappear, their synthetics but somehow continues to lie above the sweetness.

What really excites me about Y is the finish. After about 5-6 hours, the synthetic sweetness disappears and it remains a masculine smelling fragrance, which is m.M.n. especially younger people excellent to face.
Even if not listed here, I smell aldehydes, which simply give the base that certain something.

Overall, a great fragrance, which is exciting for any perfume novice from its course.

1.5
Chewing Gum Meets Cold Sweat
I got the bottle from my brother as a gift, because it was defective and he no longer wanted to take him bzgl leak.

OK, I thought....Gift horse...you know.

I then just sprayed it on a piece of kitchen roll for now, before I couldn't get it off my skin.

The prelude was still quite OK. Relatively fresh in the top note by the apple that is dominant.
A little later it became more and more unbearable from the heart note. I think the juniper berry or later in the base note of incense and tonka bean have caused me the nausea.
I had the same with Sauvage and Azzarao Wanted.

On the shelf life.....
For me just too strong and too long.
My older brother wanted to throw me out of the car when we were on the road. So penetrating that has smelled.
The fragrance literally takes your breath away....but not in a good way.

Sillage: this stuff trails off like an Australian heavy haul train.....and they are extremely long.
I have filled the entire Aldi market with the fragrance, my older brother still meant by the way. That was really unbearable.

Well....and the bottle is nothing special.

Anyway, I gave the bottle back to him.

YSL fragrances have done for me

What a surprise
Even though ysl y edp is a blue fragrance, I think that the scent is quite unique. I can definetly smell apple and sage. The sage brings up a sort of freshness to the fragrance. When I sprayed the fragrance on myself, I thought that it wouldn't last a long time, but suprisingly it performed really well! It lasts for about 9-10 hours on my skin.
To sum it up, ysl y edp is a unique blue fragrance that does perform... What a surprise!
HenrikBlau
Y - The little brother of the big blue?
First of all: This comment is part of my personal research project "(Summer) Immergeher 2020", in which I test and comment some possible alternatives to my current standard fragrance "Bleu de Chanel (edt)". For more information and links to further fragrance comments from me, please visit my profile or my blog (https://www.parfumo.de/Benutzer/HenrikBlau/Blog/Eintrag/projekt-sommer-dumb-grab-2020). But now to the matter.

Flacon
Simple and chic. Relatively thick glass with colour gradient from clear to dark blue/ black-blue. The black click fastener is made of plastic, has a non-slip surface and fits snugly. The atomizer produces a fine, even spray and releases the contents of the bottle in rather generous amounts. Solid.

Durability and Sillage
Spraying three times on neck and neck gives me a slightly over arm-length sillage. In closed rooms Y is present, but not room filling or obtrusive. After 3-4 hours the radiance gradually fades and the fragrance recedes to shoulder width. After about 6 hours it is slowly exhausted, but remains perceptible up close for some time.

Fragrance or fragrance progression
In the opening rather synthetic and incredibly (!) fresh. Sparkling sweet notes of green apple and citrus fruits widen my nostrils and make my mouth water. Does a slight ginger pungency tingling in my nose? ... hm, could be anything citric. In the first 30-60 minutes the sweetness decreases significantly, but without disappearing. Instead, fresh and tart notes appear, which combine with the fruity-sweet notes to create interesting impressions. I think of fresh orange peel, rose petals, tonic water/ gin and tonic. Without a doubt something green comes into play here. As sage and/or juniper, however, I cannot clearly identify it. Slowly but surely incense and a little wood are also coming through. After about 2 hours the fragrance has finished its development and remains synthetic green-blue-fresh-tart with a little fruit sweetness and woody-smokey undertones. I can only recognize the tonka bean listed in the pyramid when the other notes have almost completely disappeared (which can take 12 hours or more)
Conclusion
Yves Saint Lauren Y (edp) is a real blue one: fresh, clean, friendly, unobtrusive. But with an interesting fruity green twist, which makes him look a good bit younger than other representatives of his profession, without ever being childish. Fits to almost all occasions and times of day/seasons. Possible exceptions: Very fancy dinner dates (too young), romantic dinner dates (too fresh), winter (too "cool"). The basic DNA of Y actually reminds me strongly of the "big blue": Bleu de Chanel (edt). Citrus, incense, wood. But there are clear differences: Y performed a bit stronger and is definitely sweeter and fresher than BdC. The latter is a bit more reserved and especially in the base much softer, spicier and warmer. In the summer of 2020 I have never worn another fragrance as often and as much as YSL Y (edp).
A very pleasant fragrance
It's a very pleasant scent. It is not too obtrusive, but it is very quickly in the nose of people in the immediate vicinity. Slightly sweet and fresh with a good shelf life.
In any case, the EDP should be preferred as it is much more intensive and long-lasting.
Blue Darling
The fragrance is kept very simple and pleasing as you know it from "blue scents", but makes exactly this mass appeal effect especially good and better than the competition
In the opening a juicy green apple comes towards you accompanied by sage, juniper berries and a very light ginger vipe. After the opening, the apple fades into the background (but still remains present) and the accompanying components come out more strongly.

The fragrance is very fresh and is accompanied by a light pleasing sweet (not too sweet) and masculine background spice (not too spicy), but the main focus is on freshness
and yes it's not very complex/straightforward and synthetic like many here complain but why is that a bad thing?
With the hyped Dior Sauvage this is nothing else and I liked this one much better. I tested the fragrance against D&G K edp, Dior Sauvage edp and Armani ADG Profumo and decided to go for this one.

Will empty the 100ml bottle and then say a little more about the shelf life and sillage but from the impression he thinks it's damn good for a newbie^^.
Jensthomas31
The sweetness that almost sticks in my throat.
A very sweet, fruity and almost chewing-gum-like fragrance. I liked this scent very much the first time I wore it! At some point, I thought it was too sweet. Almost like a toilet of fresh Hubba Bubba chewing gum in your throat.
I like to wear it, but in my eyes this scent is more for the disco, bar or city festival evening. I prefer Sauvage in everyday life or other occasions

GreMuserGreMuser 3 months ago
Synthetic-sweet generic for teenagers.
Nik604Nik604 3 months ago
Just another ethyl maltol bomb for 17 years old...the main buyers for such an expensive pretense.
Arman038Arman038 3 months ago
Youthful, fresh-sweet, sexy and it lasts for about 8 to 9 hours. Do you want more?
TsoTso 8 months ago
Sweet & fresh compliment pulling mass-pleaser. If you want to smell pleasant to 'everyone' around you, wear this. And get complimented.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 9 months ago
Blue scent that opens with a synthetic apple and some citrus. In the drydown, you get sage with some sweetness and tonka. Boring scent.
MeetjoeblackMeetjoeblack 10 months ago
I never get compliments. I wore this on a business trip and was complimented every day. Thank you YSL. #pantydropper
ScentDaneScentDane 1 year ago
Sharp, fresh apple and ginger on a base of spicy, woody, fougere notes. Mass appealing and safe. Perfect for spring, the office and casual.
Hoban27Hoban27 1 year ago
SOAPY FRESH FRUITY VIBE WITH LITTLE SWEETNESS AND SPICES CLEAN & VERSATILE AND MODERN! VERY GOOD PERFORMANCE TOO
Amazon1975Amazon1975 1 year ago
Very good scent fresh with a brisk sage hit. Love this and is being slept on a little. A great all round choice
Rens1996Rens1996 2 years ago
I have a 60 ml bottle. I love it but i dont have time to wear it. Of somone is intrested let me know

by Eigemann
by WitDeBois
by Sia23
by Sia23

Popular Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Y (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent