Black Opium 2021 Eau de Parfum Extrême

Black Opium (Eau de Parfum Extrême) by Yves Saint Laurent
Black Opium (Eau de Parfum Extrême) is a new perfume by Yves Saint Laurent for women and was released in 2021. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesPearPear Mandarin orangeMandarin orange LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIndian jasminum grandiflorumIndian jasminum grandiflorum Orange blossom absoluteOrange blossom absolute
Base Notes Base NotesCoffeeCoffee Cocoa absoluteCocoa absolute PatchouliPatchouli Bourbon vanillaBourbon vanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 22.05.2022.

The face of the advertising campaign is actress Zoë Kravitz, filmed by Jonathan Desbiens a.k.a. Jodeb.

Roasted coffee beans and 60% dark chocolate
Great twist on the original Black Opium, this Extreme version is extreme in the smell. It's chocolatey for all of its life, it reminds me of a niche perfume I own as it couples very similarly white flowers in the heart with the ever present "chocolate". For more details please watch my Youtube review linked here below.

Edgy
The normal Black Opium I like, but can not perceive it so well and tend to overdose here.
With the Extreme is different. I perceive him better. He seems more adult, with a more dominant patchouli note in the base and has overall more "edge", as they say so nicely.
It is less sweet and a touch less sweet.
Who does not like patchouli so much, reach for the classic, who likes fruit, to the neon and who likes it edgier, to the extreme.
The durability is good on me.
Extrême != Extreme ....
... that's how I would describe the fragrance to my colleagues. Which means nothing other than, Extrême is unequal to Extreme. But I'll get to that in a moment.

A few years ago, I loved wearing the regular Black Opium in the dead of winter. I never liked the coffee note to begin with, but my nose got used to it very quickly. At that point, I vowed to only wear that scent. :D Well, I knew until then also not really much more fragrances.

Anyway, I had me some time ago a filling of Black Opium EdP procured, and played for months to get me the fragrance again. Whereby it would be only for the memory.
When I saw that Black Opium Eau de Parfum Extrême comes out, I was determined, it gernau will be the right version for me. Until just now, I also thought it would be called "Black Opium Extrême - Eau de Parfum" and just not "Black Opium - Eau de Parfum Extrême)". So my expectations were very Extrême, no matter where the Extrême would have stood.

I explain first my first impression and then the more detailed test and then again a short version.

I got the fragrance as a gift. Full of curiosity, I ran first in a perfumery and have me "Black Opium - Eau de Parfum" sprayed on the right hand. Quickly out, quickly open the packaging and quickly "Black Opium - Eau de Parfum Extrême" on my left hand. I sniffed my hands in turn. On the left, I smell bitter chocolate and espresso, just like Yanlizkalp79 wrote in her statement. On the right, clearly Black Opium. Outside, in direct comparison, "Black Opium - Eau de Parfum" smelled sweeter and also fruity, just brighter (I go now deliberately not so strong on the normal fragrance).
To me it seemed as if the Extreme variant was actually darker and more adult.
Just FYI, I think I have scent-swallowing skin. Because after 2 hours I perceived the Extreme hardly nich. Very slightly, the skin still smelled like warm vanilla. The right hand with the normal variant had been in all their fragrances still present there.

Well my enthusiasm was curbed and my imagination not fulfilled. Well, maybe I have to deal a little more with the fragrance.

No sooner said than done, now I'm sitting here. Left of me "Black Opium - Eau de Parfum Extreme" and right of me "Black Opium - Eau de Parfum". Left and right test strips. Laptop on. 3x sprayed on the test strips and 3x on my hand. Same game as before or still: left "Extreme", right "Normal". To both I make me on Parfumo the fragrance pyramid on. Only now I see that it is only called "Eau de Parfum Extreme". And only now I see the citrus notes in the fragrance. I didn't notice the citrus notes at all. Now that I read it and the scent has faded a bit, I do notice them. More on the test strip than on my hand. But that's not worth talking about.
Meanwhile, my nose is probably fragrance dust. I smell hardly a difference between the two scents. I get another nose in the game, the person also hardly differences was, except " right (Normal) smells sweeter than left (Extreme), but only minimally". The point for the durability and sillage gets the normal Black Opium.

I will tomorrow morning, with a fresh nose, sniff the test strips again and then probably give an update here.
Conclusion:
So inconspicuous, the word was added to the Eau de Parfum, just as inconspicuous one perceives the changes to the fragrance. I think the Extreme fragrance gets its tart fragrance note by the cocoa and that the coffee has changed the level. But for me it is only perceptible in direct comparison. The fragrance remains defzedem a sweet fragrance. The word Extreme raises the expectations high. But Extreme is not so Extreme. No one would notice these minimal changes. At the most, they wouldn't notice it at all, because of the poorer durability. How bad the durability really is, I must test again more exactly. Does the fragrance have to be in the collection if "Black Opium - Eau de Parfum" already has a place? - Definitely not. Very fine noses, can learn to love the perhaps, if always a Black Opium was desired.
My olfactory bulb, gets used to fragrances pretty quickly and needs really extreme stuff. I recommend rather the normal Black Opium. Should you already have the Extreme in the collection, it is also not further Dramatisch, because the two fragrances hardly differ.
Juliyy
Lasts longer than original, quite pretty
The original Black Opium lasts me about 1 hour. Or am I "nose-blind" for the original? Eau de Parfum Extreme version I smell already 3-4 hours. I can't call the scent "mega-durable" either. The scent reminds me strongly of The Only One by Dolce&Gabbana: coffee, lemon candy with a synthetic "touch". Quite pretty, but not particularly original & "unique". For original fans who want a little more durability.
Intense, more intense, Black Opium Extrême
One thing in advance: Who is looking for a relatively discreet, summery or fresh fragrance, can look further. This one is not for you.

My friend already owned the Black Opium Intense and even that stands out for its power and durability. When YSL then recently announced an even stronger version of Black Opium, she was directly interested. This week, the Black Opium Extrême arrived and.... my goodness, it's strong. Both in terms of intensity and purely from the scent.

The Intense and the Extrême have coffee as a common scent note and that is noticeable. With the Extrême even vanilla and cocoa comes through. The combination of orange blossom and patchouli give the fragrance a noticeable spicy note, which is somewhat overpowering on the nose, but not too penetrating.

Even after a full day at work, the scent is still clearly noticeable in the evening on my girlfriend. Durability here definitely a big plus.

The main differences between the Intense and the Extrême, to our sensibilities, are as follows:

The Intense is far more aromatic and the Extrême is more distinctly spicy.
With both, one notices the coffee and vanilla notes.
While there is a certain bitterness in the Intense, we have rather certain wood notes in the Extrême.
Both have a long shelf life, with the Extrême again lasts a little longer.
CONCLUSION

That this is still an EdP, is almost amazing. Who smells the fragrance for the first time, will rather think that this is pure perfume of the highest concentration.
Who stands on characterful strong fragrances, is a dynamic person or wants to make a statement in the business dinner or on a date, which can not do much wrong with the Black Opium Extrême. For everyday wear and warm temperatures, however, it is definitely too strong and penetrating for us. Since the Intense or even the normal Black Opium is partly the highest of feelings.
In other words, a strong, dynamic perfume, but just only for certain and special occasions.

Rosaline88Rosaline88 4 months ago
Love it , coffee cacao vanilla patchouli cosy sent nice and warm . Great for cold weather.

by CandyScent
by CandyScent

Popular by Yves Saint Laurent

La Nuit de L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Bleu Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto L'Elixir by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (Secret de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent Libre (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2002) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2011) by Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2011) / M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire - Velours by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Yves Saint Laurent Nu (2001) (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent Cinéma (Eau de Parfum) by Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent