Just Rock! pour Lui (2017)

Just Rock! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire

Just Rock! pour Lui is a popular perfume by Zadig & Voltaire for men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-smoky. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Top Notes Top NotesTonka bean
Heart Notes Heart NotesBlack vanilla, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesBlack patchouli, Spicy notes

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 16.09.2019

The faces of the advertising campaign are models Sam Lammar and Joséphine Le Tutour.

9.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Too dark?
In painting, Chiaroscuro is called above all in the Baroque period a means of design that reaches depth of expression through contrasts of light and dark.

However, when transferred to the world of fragrance, the term fits just as well. I find it particularly pronounced at Just Rock.

It was designed by Nathalie Lorson, a perfumer born in Grasse, who had good prerequisites for developing a good nose; she had already created treats such as Encre Noir and Bentley Intense. Also with Just Rock she has succeeded in creating an unmistakable fragrance.

First of all, a lot of dark matter rolls on in the form of a concentrated load of incense, which is rounded off by black patchouli. Only after some time does the fragrance lighten in an inimitable way: Is it the vanilla that pushes something sweet, almost fruity, fresh over the dark incense carpet? The fragrance pyramid doesn't give much light; an indication that the perfumers don't really let themselves be seen in their cards. Anyway, I love the fragrance because of this delicate contrast.

Just Rock can easily keep up with scents from niche houses like Laboratorio Olfattivo. Their Nerotic came under my nose the other day. I found it quite similar to Just Rock, even though Nerotics' fragrance pyramid does not explicitly mention incense, but refers to "smoky notes". Sillage and durability I felt at Just Rock just as well, maybe even better.

Unfortunately, Just Rock is on my partner's index. I'm not allowed to wear the scent in her presence. Too smoky, too dark!
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

The Pyromaniac
The flames are going up, the heat is scorching his eyebrows. The fire has been raging for a long time, but for him the flames have something sensual, dancing about them. It is enveloped in the smoke and is pulled through the nose until it can be tasted. Is there anything in the world that surpasses this in devotion?

My current favorite fragrance. It starts with a flaming sweet dance of tonka bean, vanilla and incense. A very pure fire, nothing smokes. Until after a certain time cuddly, glowing coals remain. And these accompany you the whole day, so the shelf life fits.
I think it's a pity that he's put on the same level as "This is Him". Clearly both aif incense and vanilla are based, but the two differ in their statement and character enormously.

This is Rock is definitely a perfume for winter and autumn, but it also makes a great summer evening. I'm in the campfire mood
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

You Rock Me, baby! ... What I hadn't expected, though
As a guitarist and rock fan I can't help but want to get a fragrance with this name in my nose as soon as possible. Nevertheless, it took a little longer, because I - especially as a copywriter - don't lie down so fast and am especially critical!) Besides, I am already the owner of "This Is Him" and a real fan of this fragrance, which I like to put on for going out in the cold season. The comment page also claims that if you have "This Is Him", you don't need "Just Rock" as well. Admittedly, both EDPs are very similar. Even the bottle already suggests that "Just Rock" is a flanker, even if it is not so named.

But now one should assume that "Just Rock" is the rougher and rougher-legged scent compared to "This Is Him". On the contrary: "Just Rock" clearly has the same DNA, but in comparison it is much more balanced and harmonious. A little more gentle, so Just Rock is a real evergreen for me. Even a little fresher, which surprises me to say the least: If I had to assign the two fragrance pyramids to one of the twins, I would instinctively swap them. There you can see again how little such a "table of contents" can say about a fragrance itself or how little I know about what mixture is olfactory able to "align"! ;-)

On top of that, "Just Rock" reminds me of "Gucci Envy", which I highly rated, so from now on I am a (Just)Rock fan. Nevertheless, I don't necessarily associate the scent with a noisy concert hall, but I would wear it there just as much as I would when going to the office every day or on my first date. A bit fresh, quite spicy, a bit smoky, not without a discreet "residual sweetness", leather- and flowerless (fortunately) and yet harmonious in itself - that's how I like it, my baby! :-)
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Beautiful vanilla smoke
Zadig & Voltaire was unknown to me, but "Just Rock - for him" changed that. In the shop I tested "This is him" and "Just Rock" both, very much agreed with the latter, so he came with me. Compared to "This is him" it smells a lot smokier in the top note, which I like extreeem well. After some time the sweetness of the tonka bean stands in the middle of the incense, I also notice vanilla, but this only really comes into its own for me in the heart note and takes the lead. Now some complained that the vanilla comes across very artificially. Okay, but I have to say: I know more synthetic versions that also provoke headaches. As hearts "spicy notes" are indicated....hmmmm so with me they do not penetrate. The heart note is sweet and smoky with me, pleasantly cuddly and warm. The fragrance starts off male and becomes softer and softer, great changes do not occur in the course of time, in my opinion. The perceptible notes simply overlap each other one after the other. But this should not be understood negatively!

All in all I really like "Just Rock" very much, would rather wear it for leisure or in the evening. As far as the effect on the opposite sex is concerned, I say this much:

When I wear "Just Rock" not only a pleasant sweetness sticks to me....but also my partner. ;)

by Esporium