Just Rock! pour Lui (2017)

Just Rock! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire

Just Rock! pour Lui is a popular perfume by Zadig & Voltaire for men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-smoky. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Top Notes Top NotesTonka bean
Heart Notes Heart NotesBlack vanilla, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesBlack patchouli, Spicy notes

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 10.02.2020.

The faces of the advertising campaign are models Sam Lammar and Joséphine Le Tutour.

Mystical incense scent
Well, so this is my first comment on this page. Contrary to expectations, I will not compose it to my everyday scent Man in Black (Bvlgari), but to this fragrance, which I happened to test in a large drugstore.

At first our friendship was not under a good star. For some reason, I was reluctant to put the scent on the test strip for a long time while testing. What bothered me? I dunno. Maybe it was the name I didn't like. It couldn't have been the flacon, because it has an interesting shape and fits perfectly to the fragrance, as I finally found out during testing.
The aura of fragrance... this name really fits at this point. Once applied, Just Rock envelops the wearer with enchanting sensations and associations. Gothic cathedrals appear before the mind's eye, memories of mystical places unfold and - without wanting to - one is sucked into the effect of the fragrance. Maybe others have other impressions. I, for one, know of few fragrances that evoke such strong aesthetic images in me as this one. Perhaps it is due to the sacred incense note, which enters into a mystical symbiosis with the strong vanilla note, reminiscent of typical gothic smells. Certainly the subliminal patchouli contributes to this impression.
Just Rock certainly does not have a stunningly exciting fragrance. It changes very little; the initially strong smoky note gives way to vanilla after a while. But that's exactly what I like about the fragrance: it stays good and just gets a little warmer, without being too strong. The fragrance has a very good durability and an outstanding Sillage! If you apply too much, you can easily fill a whole room with smoky vanilla. I tried the scent and was immediately thrilled.
After this test experience, I started my way home through a dark section of forest and smelled the smoke aroma of a freshly lit open fire from a distance - what would go better with this scent?
8.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Wow. Just WOW.
Some months ago I got a bottle Zadig&Voltaire: This Is Him! as a blindbuy and, maaaaan it was an instant love. A little later i realised there are some later releases from Zadig&Voltaire, so I tried the This is rock! too, and it was the same, and different at the same time. Its definetly the same dna, but with less sweetness and much more smokiness. WOW! If this fragrances are persons, the “This is Him! is a cool, leather jacket 25-30 badboy type guy, and “This is rock!” is the sams guy after 5-10 years.

Its really hard to desribe: Its a leather-jacket style fragrance too, but in a bit more mature way than the this is him!, so you can probably use easier with a dark suit, or something formal dress, but you smell much more younger than guy with a Tom Ford Noir
7.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

Smoky contemporary
I discovered Just Rock! the way I like to discover new fragrances most: I'm at leisure while trying rum in the perfumery. A few seconds after spraying it on my wrist, I knew, "I must have that." Immediately I had certain images in my head when I smelled it: a sparsely lit bar, dark curtains - perhaps made of velvet -, hints of cigarette smoke creeping up from the smoking area one door down, the clicking of cues on a worn green billiard table and laced leather shoes. If a fragrance gives me such a myriad of impressions within a few seconds, then there is something special about it, and the Black Friday special offers made my purchase decision even easier.

Now, a few weeks later, I am more than satisfied with the purchase. The fragrance is distinctive, has a lot of character and yet is unobtrusive on the skin, and is always noticeable when you almost forget you are wearing it. From time to time he might like to spread out a little more in the room.
Keyword space: I have not yet found the ideal environment to wear Just Rock! Over Christmas, I'd put it on occasionally. With warm, closed rooms where it smells of coffee, fried food and biscuits, it does not get along as well as with the fresh winter air or bright, open restaurants. There's still a lot of rum to try out.
The bottle is beautiful, but unfortunately opaque, even if you hold it against the light, which bothers me a little bit.

Conclusion: With Just Rock! you get for a pretty fair price an angular, heavy scent, which, when it develops beautifully, smells incredibly good and plays certain images directly into your head. Not everyone will like it and it is guaranteed to be too heavy for some people, but those who "dare" it will get something special, of high quality and strong character. I really like that little smoke bomb.
8.0 9.0 10.0 9.0/10

"Love" - Attraction, trust, intimacy
Hello Community, this is my first comment on this page after I learned a lot about perfumes through you as a silent fellow reader and I write it to my favorite fragrance. It's getting a little longer.
A 23 year old man who discovers his love for fragrances thanks to a good friend and a once entertaining perfume influencer goes to the M.
(To the niche heads who now stone me:
Yes, you can also buy good perfumes in M or D and no it is no shame if you limit yourself to designers for economic reasons.)

In my search for a beautiful autumn and winter fragrance, I randomly try my hand through all the shelves, as I have learned that the recommendations of the shop assistants are either highly individual - as is the case with perfumes - or advertise the latest perfume that has just appeared

I hit this dark bottle with a gold engraving. A polished stone, I suppose? Just ROCK...
hm, great pun

But do something here...

I smell the sprayer.
OH.

Oooooh. Wow. Wow.

"Love" is pantographed in the black lid.

Well, scent sprayed on without further ado, he joins a few other competitors on the left forearm (yes I remember where I first applied THIS scent about 4 months ago).

Just Rock welcomes you - polarizing.
Either it CAN become love, or it can't.

Imagine the following situation:
A man speaks to a woman. Within a few seconds the woman inside (and then also pronounced) says yes or no to him. Maybe it still comes to one perhaps, but mostly one notices from the outset, what thing is and whether from it what can become.

Just Rock begins with a slap in the face of smoke, spices and tonka creaminess, which, if more than two splashes are applied, quickly overwhelm even Me.
It is the first time you get to know each other, when you decide if you are attractive or not.
The top note is really crass, projection room filling for approx. 2 hours.

The smoke - the teasing, showing off from its cool side, being somehow unapproachable - but soon disappears. Now the magic happens:

A beautiful black vanilla coated by now weak, pleasant smoke clouds and patchouli takes the lead and is now more and more cuddly, pleasant, warming.
This vanilla forms the second part of getting to know each other - it creates trust. The fragrance, like two people on a date, gradually gives off its hard shell and reveals its secrets, feelings, tenderness.

And then the vanilla gets intimate.
The Sillage lies down (although for approx. 6h clearly there) and a beautiful blanket of vanilla accompanies very closely the cuddling and what still happens in twos on the sofa.
Does it become love?
If you give the fragrance a chance beyond the hard top note and get to know its inner values, the stars look good.
Just Rock is love for me, even though I can't recommend him as No Brainer - Dateduft, because he polarizes very strongly.
He is somehow "mystical" or "mysterious" if you can call it that- like an attractive man works on women.

Unlimited recommendation for autumn and winter, more suitable for leisure and evening use than office use and perfect for evening/night dates IF worn with self-confidence.

You should do that with every perfume anyway, no matter if Aventus or x.
I wear it on dates with colder tenperaturen, always approx. 1h before the meeting apply.
His counterpart for me at warmer temperatures is Bulgari Aqua Amara because I like smoky notes. Very similar character despite different scents.
Conclusion:
I'd rather polarize (SPARISELY) with a scent that remains in my memory (positive or negative) than be insignificant.
In my opinion Saubermann x has little character - and what is more attractive than a man with rough edges, who knows exactly what his values are and is not afraid to show his vulnerable side?
9.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Too dark?
In painting, Chiaroscuro is called above all in the Baroque period a means of design that reaches depth of expression through contrasts of light and dark.

However, when transferred to the world of fragrance, the term fits just as well. I find it particularly pronounced at Just Rock.

It was designed by Nathalie Lorson, a perfumer born in Grasse, who had good prerequisites for developing a good nose; she had already created treats such as Encre Noir and Bentley Intense. Also with Just Rock she has succeeded in creating an unmistakable fragrance.

First of all, a lot of dark matter rolls on in the form of a concentrated load of incense, which is rounded off by black patchouli. Only after some time does the fragrance lighten in an inimitable way: Is it the vanilla that pushes something sweet, almost fruity, fresh over the dark incense carpet? The fragrance pyramid doesn't give much light; an indication that the perfumers don't really let themselves be seen in their cards. Anyway, I love the fragrance because of this delicate contrast.

Just Rock can easily keep up with scents from niche houses like Laboratorio Olfattivo. Their Nerotic came under my nose the other day. I found it quite similar to Just Rock, even though Nerotics' fragrance pyramid does not explicitly mention incense, but refers to "smoky notes". Sillage and durability I felt at Just Rock just as well, maybe even better.

Unfortunately, Just Rock is on my partner's index. I'm not allowed to wear the scent in her presence. Too smoky, too dark!
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

The Pyromaniac
The flames are going up, the heat is scorching his eyebrows. The fire has been raging for a long time, but for him the flames have something sensual, dancing about them. It is enveloped in the smoke and is pulled through the nose until it can be tasted. Is there anything in the world that surpasses this in devotion?

My current favorite fragrance. It starts with a flaming sweet dance of tonka bean, vanilla and incense. A very pure fire, nothing smokes. Until after a certain time cuddly, glowing coals remain. And these accompany you the whole day, so the shelf life fits.
I think it's a pity that he's put on the same level as "This is Him". Clearly both aif incense and vanilla are based, but the two differ in their statement and character enormously.

This is Rock is definitely a perfume for winter and autumn, but it also makes a great summer evening. I'm in the campfire mood
8.0 8.0 10.0 9.5/10

You Rock Me, baby! ... What I hadn't expected, though
As a guitarist and rock fan I can't help but want to get a fragrance with this name in my nose as soon as possible. Nevertheless, it took a little longer, because I - especially as a copywriter - don't lie down so fast and am especially critical!) Besides, I am already the owner of "This Is Him" and a real fan of this fragrance, which I like to put on for going out in the cold season. The comment page also claims that if you have "This Is Him", you don't need "Just Rock" as well. Admittedly, both EDPs are very similar. Even the bottle already suggests that "Just Rock" is a flanker, even if it is not so named.

But now one should assume that "Just Rock" is the rougher and rougher-legged scent compared to "This Is Him". On the contrary: "Just Rock" clearly has the same DNA, but in comparison it is much more balanced and harmonious. A little more gentle, so Just Rock is a real evergreen for me. Even a little fresher, which surprises me to say the least: If I had to assign the two fragrance pyramids to one of the twins, I would instinctively swap them. There you can see again how little such a "table of contents" can say about a fragrance itself or how little I know about what mixture is olfactory able to "align"! ;-)

On top of that, "Just Rock" reminds me of "Gucci Envy", which I highly rated, so from now on I am a (Just)Rock fan. Nevertheless, I don't necessarily associate the scent with a noisy concert hall, but I would wear it there just as much as I would when going to the office every day or on my first date. A bit fresh, quite spicy, a bit smoky, not without a discreet "residual sweetness", leather- and flowerless (fortunately) and yet harmonious in itself - that's how I like it, my baby! :-)
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Beautiful vanilla smoke
Zadig & Voltaire was unknown to me, but "Just Rock - for him" changed that. In the shop I tested "This is him" and "Just Rock" both, very much agreed with the latter, so he came with me. Compared to "This is him" it smells a lot smokier in the top note, which I like extreeem well. After some time the sweetness of the tonka bean stands in the middle of the incense, I also notice vanilla, but this only really comes into its own for me in the heart note and takes the lead. Now some complained that the vanilla comes across very artificially. Okay, but I have to say: I know more synthetic versions that also provoke headaches. As hearts "spicy notes" are indicated....hmmmm so with me they do not penetrate. The heart note is sweet and smoky with me, pleasantly cuddly and warm. The fragrance starts off male and becomes softer and softer, great changes do not occur in the course of time, in my opinion. The perceptible notes simply overlap each other one after the other. But this should not be understood negatively!

All in all I really like "Just Rock" very much, would rather wear it for leisure or in the evening. As far as the effect on the opposite sex is concerned, I say this much:

When I wear "Just Rock" not only a pleasant sweetness sticks to me....but also my partner. ;)

Carlitos01 17 days ago
A gorgeous dark and smoky scent on the trail of Morabito Black Agent. The Incense together with the black patchouli make an exquisite blend.+3
9.0
Demetera 135 days ago
Easy to describe: Same DNA with more, but moderate sweetness and tons of smokyness. This is the darker/less everyday version of This is Him!+1
9.0

by Esporium
by Esporium
by Vrabec
by Vrabec

Popular Zadig & Voltaire

This Is Him! by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Do Anything by Zadig & Voltaire Just Rock! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Love! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Say Anything by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Love! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Him by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Him! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Her by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 2 - La Légèreté by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 3 - L'Être by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! Capsule Collection by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Him! Capsule Collection by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Her Limited Edition by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Him Limited Edition by Zadig & Voltaire