Just Rock! pour Lui (2017)

Just Rock! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire

Just Rock! pour Lui is a popular perfume by Zadig & Voltaire for men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-smoky. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Top Notes Top NotesTonka bean
Heart Notes Heart NotesVanilla, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Spicy notes

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 25.06.2020.

The faces of the advertising campaign are models Sam Lammar and Joséphine Le Tutour.

Just Rocky
I have to congratulate Zadig & voltaire, many of the perfumes of this house draw on the complexity and artistic sense of niche perfumes, at first I had underestimated just rock, believing that it was the mainstream perfume of the house, the perfume dedicated to the younger public, the sweet of the house to be clear, but I was wrong.
Just-rock is absolutely a mature, warm, soft, woody and vanilla-flavored, compact perfume when I smell the trunk of a tree. The opening, together with TF oud wood, is the most woody one I have ever heard, wood, incense, and very delicate spices, oriental the perfume is very aggressive and courageous, then the bark begins to dissolve and the vanilla pops out, a not too sweet vanilla, almost bitter, made even more frightening by incense, accompanied by patchouli and amber, has the right sweetness and softness that you would like from a good masculine perfume, firm and hard, that embraces and pampers you like a cashmere scarf.
It is a perfume as I said without frills, without edges or notes that prevail more than the others, but emerge at the same time, it is an oak trunk with everything inside it incensed dark vanilla, slightly dusty.
Sillage and performance are average, after the perfume it remains discreet on the skin, it is not a perfume that wants to capture attention but despite this I have received several compliments.
It is very underrated, apparently, but I prefer it to this one, albeit good, but I see it less warm, smoother and more incensed, even more minimal than just rock. It is a fragrance that I definitely can't wait. to use it in Autumn or Winter, very formal, distinct, but with that masculine sweetness that attracts attention, never over the top,a perfume straightforward. Little rock, very rocky.

Rating 8/10
Mystical incense scent
Well, so this is my first comment on this page. Contrary to expectations, I will not compose it to my everyday scent Man in Black (Bvlgari), but to this fragrance, which I happened to test in a large drugstore.

At first our friendship was not under a good star. For some reason, I was reluctant to put the scent on the test strip for a long time while testing. What bothered me? I dunno. Maybe it was the name I didn't like. It couldn't have been the flacon, because it has an interesting shape and fits perfectly to the fragrance, as I finally found out during testing.
The aura of fragrance... this name really fits at this point. Once applied, Just Rock envelops the wearer with enchanting sensations and associations. Gothic cathedrals appear before the mind's eye, memories of mystical places unfold and - without wanting to - one is sucked into the effect of the fragrance. Maybe others have other impressions. I, for one, know of few fragrances that evoke such strong aesthetic images in me as this one. Perhaps it is due to the sacred incense note, which enters into a mystical symbiosis with the strong vanilla note, reminiscent of typical gothic smells. Certainly the subliminal patchouli contributes to this impression.
Just Rock certainly does not have a stunningly exciting fragrance. It changes very little; the initially strong smoky note gives way to vanilla after a while. But that's exactly what I like about the fragrance: it stays good and just gets a little warmer, without being too strong. The fragrance has a very good durability and an outstanding Sillage! If you apply too much, you can easily fill a whole room with smoky vanilla. I tried the scent and was immediately thrilled.
After this test experience, I started my way home through a dark section of forest and smelled the smoke aroma of a freshly lit open fire from a distance - what would go better with this scent?

Wow. Just WOW.
Some months ago I got a bottle Zadig&Voltaire: This Is Him! as a blindbuy and, maaaaan it was an instant love. A little later i realised there are some later releases from Zadig&Voltaire, so I tried the This is rock! too, and it was the same, and different at the same time. Its definetly the same dna, but with less sweetness and much more smokiness. WOW! If this fragrances are persons, the “This is Him! is a cool, leather jacket 25-30 badboy type guy, and “This is rock!” is the sams guy after 5-10 years.

Its really hard to desribe: Its a leather-jacket style fragrance too, but in a bit more mature way than the this is him!, so you can probably use easier with a dark suit, or something formal dress, but you smell much more younger than guy with a Tom Ford Noir
Smoky contemporary
I discovered Just Rock! the way I like to discover new fragrances most: I'm at leisure while trying rum in the perfumery. A few seconds after spraying it on my wrist, I knew, "I must have that." Immediately I had certain images in my head when I smelled it: a sparsely lit bar, dark curtains - perhaps made of velvet -, hints of cigarette smoke creeping up from the smoking area one door down, the clicking of cues on a worn green billiard table and laced leather shoes. If a fragrance gives me such a myriad of impressions within a few seconds, then there is something special about it, and the Black Friday special offers made my purchase decision even easier.

Now, a few weeks later, I am more than satisfied with the purchase. The fragrance is distinctive, has a lot of character and yet is unobtrusive on the skin, and is always noticeable when you almost forget you are wearing it. From time to time he might like to spread out a little more in the room.
Keyword space: I have not yet found the ideal environment to wear Just Rock! Over Christmas, I'd put it on occasionally. With warm, closed rooms where it smells of coffee, fried food and biscuits, it does not get along as well as with the fresh winter air or bright, open restaurants. There's still a lot of rum to try out.
The bottle is beautiful, but unfortunately opaque, even if you hold it against the light, which bothers me a little bit.

Conclusion: With Just Rock! you get for a pretty fair price an angular, heavy scent, which, when it develops beautifully, smells incredibly good and plays certain images directly into your head. Not everyone will like it and it is guaranteed to be too heavy for some people, but those who "dare" it will get something special, of high quality and strong character. I really like that little smoke bomb.
Too dark?
In painting, Chiaroscuro is called above all in the Baroque period a means of design that reaches depth of expression through contrasts of light and dark.

However, when transferred to the world of fragrance, the term fits just as well. I find it particularly pronounced at Just Rock.

It was designed by Nathalie Lorson, a perfumer born in Grasse, who had good prerequisites for developing a good nose; she had already created treats such as Encre Noir and Bentley Intense. Also with Just Rock she has succeeded in creating an unmistakable fragrance.

First of all, a lot of dark matter rolls on in the form of a concentrated load of incense, which is rounded off by black patchouli. Only after some time does the fragrance lighten in an inimitable way: Is it the vanilla that pushes something sweet, almost fruity, fresh over the dark incense carpet? The fragrance pyramid doesn't give much light; an indication that the perfumers don't really let themselves be seen in their cards. Anyway, I love the fragrance because of this delicate contrast.

Just Rock can easily keep up with scents from niche houses like Laboratorio Olfattivo. Their Nerotic came under my nose the other day. I found it quite similar to Just Rock, even though Nerotics' fragrance pyramid does not explicitly mention incense, but refers to "smoky notes". Sillage and durability I felt at Just Rock just as well, maybe even better.

Unfortunately, Just Rock is on my partner's index. I'm not allowed to wear the scent in her presence. Too smoky, too dark!
The Pyromaniac
The flames are going up, the heat is scorching his eyebrows. The fire has been raging for a long time, but for him the flames have something sensual, dancing about them. It is enveloped in the smoke and is pulled through the nose until it can be tasted. Is there anything in the world that surpasses this in devotion?

My current favorite fragrance. It starts with a flaming sweet dance of tonka bean, vanilla and incense. A very pure fire, nothing smokes. Until after a certain time cuddly, glowing coals remain. And these accompany you the whole day, so the shelf life fits.
I think it's a pity that he's put on the same level as "This is Him". Clearly both aif incense and vanilla are based, but the two differ in their statement and character enormously.

This is Rock is definitely a perfume for winter and autumn, but it also makes a great summer evening. I'm in the campfire mood
You Rock Me, baby! ... What I hadn't expected, though
As a guitarist and rock fan I can't help but want to get a fragrance with this name in my nose as soon as possible. Nevertheless, it took a little longer, because I - especially as a copywriter - don't lie down so fast and am especially critical!) Besides, I am already the owner of "This Is Him" and a real fan of this fragrance, which I like to put on for going out in the cold season. The comment page also claims that if you have "This Is Him", you don't need "Just Rock" as well. Admittedly, both EDPs are very similar. Even the bottle already suggests that "Just Rock" is a flanker, even if it is not so named.

But now one should assume that "Just Rock" is the rougher and rougher-legged scent compared to "This Is Him". On the contrary: "Just Rock" clearly has the same DNA, but in comparison it is much more balanced and harmonious. A little more gentle, so Just Rock is a real evergreen for me. Even a little fresher, which surprises me to say the least: If I had to assign the two fragrance pyramids to one of the twins, I would instinctively swap them. There you can see again how little such a "table of contents" can say about a fragrance itself or how little I know about what mixture is olfactory able to "align"! ;-)

On top of that, "Just Rock" reminds me of "Gucci Envy", which I highly rated, so from now on I am a (Just)Rock fan. Nevertheless, I don't necessarily associate the scent with a noisy concert hall, but I would wear it there just as much as I would when going to the office every day or on my first date. A bit fresh, quite spicy, a bit smoky, not without a discreet "residual sweetness", leather- and flowerless (fortunately) and yet harmonious in itself - that's how I like it, my baby! :-)
Beautiful vanilla smoke
Zadig & Voltaire was unknown to me, but "Just Rock - for him" changed that. In the shop I tested "This is him" and "Just Rock" both, very much agreed with the latter, so he came with me. Compared to "This is him" it smells a lot smokier in the top note, which I like extreeem well. After some time the sweetness of the tonka bean stands in the middle of the incense, I also notice vanilla, but this only really comes into its own for me in the heart note and takes the lead. Now some complained that the vanilla comes across very artificially. Okay, but I have to say: I know more synthetic versions that also provoke headaches. As hearts "spicy notes" are indicated....hmmmm so with me they do not penetrate. The heart note is sweet and smoky with me, pleasantly cuddly and warm. The fragrance starts off male and becomes softer and softer, great changes do not occur in the course of time, in my opinion. The perceptible notes simply overlap each other one after the other. But this should not be understood negatively!

All in all I really like "Just Rock" very much, would rather wear it for leisure or in the evening. As far as the effect on the opposite sex is concerned, I say this much:

When I wear "Just Rock" not only a pleasant sweetness sticks to me....but also my partner. ;)

Carlitos01Carlitos01 149 days ago
A gorgeous dark and smoky scent on the trail of Morabito Black Agent. The Incense together with the black patchouli make an exquisite blend.
DemeteraDemetera 9 months ago
Easy to describe: Same DNA with more, but moderate sweetness and tons of smokyness. This is the darker/less everyday version of This is Him!

by Esporium
by Esporium
Fresh21 / Night Challenge
by TheOne01
by Vrabec
by Vrabec

Popular Zadig & Voltaire

This Is Him! by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! by Zadig & Voltaire Just Rock! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Do Anything by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Love! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Love! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Him by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Him! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Say Anything by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Her by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Be Crazy by Zadig & Voltaire