This Is Him! (2016)

This Is Him! by Zadig & Voltaire

This Is Him! is a popular perfume by Zadig & Voltaire for men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Black pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesVanilla, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood

Submitted by CPL, last update on 20.11.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is model Sam Lammar.

6.0 8.0 10.0 10.0/10

The best scent for a 30’s guy with a leather jacket
Picked up as a random nighttime/winter scent. Well its much more than that. A bit spicy, a bit woody, a bit sweet, a bit dark, but not the old-man’s dark, much more like a bad guy in black farmer/shirt/leather jacket.

The greatness of the scent shows up in its versatility. When is warm, its much more a woody-spicy one with a bit elegance, but when its cold, its a bit more sweet. The projection is moderate; so its useable in office. The compliment factor is really-really high, and its described as a “really masculine, sexy scent”
10.0 8.0 10.0 10.0/10

Under the radar
- or better said: The most undervalued fragrance of the year!

I didn't know either the brand or the scent. So at this point a big thank you to Parfumo, thanks to whom I came across this wonderful site with high dependency potential after a long rummage.

This is Him sounded very promising after all the comments and statements and I was eager to experience the fragrance live, which was on my to-do list the next time I visited my favourite perfumery. After I had dealt long and hard with niche fragrances from Ford and Le Labo, Zadig and Voltaire were admittedly not quite on my radar because of the price range. If you have learned to love fragrances for 300 Euro and up, a fragrance for 'only' 70 Euro can hardly convince anymore. And that should not be meant arrogantly or snobbish at this point, on the contrary, who doesn't like to save money - but if you have been a guest at Le Meridien or Kempenski a few times, indulged in luxury extensively and have been pampered there, you don't necessarily have a youth hostel on your screen for your next trip
- which could turn out to be a mistake, though: He who dares wins.

So last week I went to the perfumery of my choice. Actually with the intention to test the Schönling from Ford, I asked for Zadig and Voltaire. The lady looked at me sceptically and replied to my question how well the scent held, only: "Well, if you love scents from Tom Ford, this one will hardly convince you in terms of durability". Still, I insisted on testing the scent and she sprayed something on a test strip. I didn't even have the strip in my hand when the first load of grapefruit pepper melange took me by surprise. I was completely flashed, but also unsettled by the seller's comment regarding shelf life and therefore hesitant. I constantly sniffed at the test strip, the mixture of bitter grapefruit and hot pepper inspired me immensely, but if this pleasure were only of short duration, it would probably be the knockout criterion for this fragrance. If I hate anything, it's the ephemerality of scents.
I tested some other scents, but my nose still landed on the test strip of This is Him over and over again.

After a long debate I decided to buy the half-blind bottle and took This is Him with me in a 100 ml bottle. Since I belong to the regular customers in this perfumery, on a certain day of the week there is always 10 - 20 % on all scents, in this case it was 20 % and since I live in Switzerland, there is no VAT for me, in short: with a good 40 Euro for 100 ml of scent you can probably not do very much wrong, even a faulty purchase would still be to cope with here
However, Zadig & Voltaire's This is Him still proved to be this. On the contrary.

The next day I used the fragrance for the first time. And again there was this flash: A true bomb of grapefruit and pepper thunders into your nose when you apply the fragrance freshly. Neither grapefruit nor pepper in any form is intrusive or even annoying, but rather pleasant and distinctly natural smelling for such a favourable fragrance.

Yes, tart grapefruit and spicy pepper are a slap in the face at first, but in this case I would also be happy to hold out my second cheek.

After a short time, the strong, loud, popping opening becomes wicked, mysterious and mysterious: incense in its most pleasant form and smooth vanilla begin to support pepper and grapefruit in the ensemble. This is not an attempt to carry out a battle of the giants, but rather, as in an orchestra, the individual components complement each other to form a bitter, sharp, smoky and sweet fragrance experience of a special kind.

The fragrance is incredibly exciting and appealing, radiating an unlikely elegance coupled with a certain wickedness. He is noble, supple and calm in one and daredevil, erotic and wicked in the next moment.

For me, however, the drydown is the highlight of this fragrance, the endless Grand Finale, the icing on the cake: where grapefruit, pepper, frankincense and vanilla are still very, very present, sandalwood begins to unfold its effect very subtly, initially very cautiously and later more and more clearly. The sandalwood supports all other already existing chords, does not replace them, but accompanies them and gives this fragrance in its long lasting drydown a luxurious and at the same time incredible sexy creaminess.

And that lasts. And holds. And holds. And holds.
When I apply Zadig & Voltaire in the morning before work, he is still very, very clearly perceptible and present even in the evening after a good 9 hours The Sillage is really above average, especially in the beginning and in the heart note, in the drydown it gets weaker, but definitely not only very close.
Durability is not only for a fragrance of this price class, but generally really in the above-average range - on the skin it lasts a good 10 to 12 hours, on the clothes until the next wash of the shirt.

However, the fragrance never becomes intrusive or disturbing, but is like a real gentleman: strong and present, but never greasy or cheeky.
Logically, the fragrance demands a certain posture and self-confidence from its wearer - it is much more suited to a suit wearer or at least to a shirt with a tie than to a casual hoodie with jeans. Also very nice with white shirt and dark leather jacket.

For me, it's really the undervalued fragrance of the year. How a wild little water can be so hyped and perceived on really every other type and how a noble This is Him stays so completely under the radar, is completely undecided to me.

The smell fulfills all criteria, which an above average good, erotic and nevertheless everyday and even office suitable man smell must exhibit with Bravour - and nevertheless it remains undervalued and far away from the Hypes.

Sure, good for us who indulge in this luxurious fragrance and get positive reactions from all sides - but it's a pity that it remains so unknown and under the radar.

In the end, we can only hope that production will not cease or that the fragrance will even be reformulated. It would be a shame about that.

At this point a huge thank you to the previous speakers and to Parfumo for making me aware of this unbelievably grandiose fragrance!

Peace out!
5.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Benedikt2019
Careful, the boss is coming!
Recently in the service briefing: We colleagues sat very relaxed together and waited for the approaching service briefing. He came, too, our boss. As always well groomed, bald and well dressed (mostly in shirt and tie). I sat quite far in front and after a few words of greeting on the part of the boss I suddenly heard this smell! He was a perfect match for this man and underlined his appearance as well as his style. "This is him", a title that expressed exactly that. Complete presence without exaggerating too much. Great Sillage, without killing the people in the room, but still perceptible for everyone. Funnily enough, at the beginning I thought that it had to be a quite fresh scent in the direction of fresh woody/fresh spicy, as it certainly gave this impression.

Back home again: There I tried - I wanted to avoid asking my boss about his scent hihi - to find the scent myself with the help of what I could sniff out. No way! So I had no choice but to jump over my shadow and ask him at the next opportunity what he was wearing that day. My expectations were high, I thought, maybe what from de Marley also a Givenchy or something like that. Then the hammer came: Zadig & Voltaire! I was amazed that I had only associated this House with the somewhat younger sponsorship so far. Also, the fragrance seemed to me to be quite valuable and accordingly (often) expensive. So I had to buy it and test it myself. And I can say it pleases! I don't notice the grapefruit, but pepper, vanilla and frankincense in a great interplay create a round scent, which is not too complex, but also not cheap. And thanks to the sandalwood, it also retains a certain lightness that makes it wearable even in early autumn. For me he also has a bit of a sauna infusion, which is probably due to the woody note. Furthermore, he resembles - I think - Givenchy - Gentleman Eau de Parfum. I have both in my collection and find quite similarities between the two. I think it goes best with a shirt or polo. I can't imagine him being that casual after all.

My conclusion: If you're looking for a great autumn/winter office fragrance that isn't too heavy, you've come to the right place. Also it can keep up with higher-priced fragrances completely and does not look at all billg. The price is top, you can get it for about 30 Euro for 50ml, which is enormous. The durability and the Sillage are both in the solid upper level; with me it lasts about 7-9 hours and the Sillage is well perceptible about 4 hours. In the end there is an almost creamy looking drydown. If you like to have a fancy layer, take Vintage Green from Banana Republic, the two are mad together :)

I hope you liked the comment and am glad about comments to and about the fragrance
Euer
Bene
7.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

All Black? Absolutely!
If Zadig & Voltaire flies a little under the radar with the wider masses, then r finds absolute approval with me. Does not always fit, is not 0815, but with a leather jacket, black jeans and a black shirt ... Pooh. Come on! The light vanilla note, which starts after a short time and makes the fragrance a little rounder, is not really noticeable, but when you know it, you notice that the fragrance loses some of its 80s After Shave character. With me it was rather "love" on the second Riecher, but for me again and again portable.
However, those who aim for compliments are likely to get them from men if they do. Can only remind me of a lady who spoke to me about my scent to find out what it was. However, if you want to smell a bit more "gritty" and/or want to underline your outfit (ideally All Black with leather jacket), you should at least try this fragrance. The moderate price makes it a very good option in any case.
8.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

Interview with a vampire
I: "Hello Mr. Draculta, thank you for making yourself available for the interview!"

Mr. Dracula: "DRACULA!!! Draculta is the Romanian fasting yogurt, my name is Dracula!! Thousands of years and people still confuse it..." *rolls with the eyes*

I said, "Year... thousands?"

Mr. Dracula: "Haha just such a phrase..."

I: "Oh, haha understand... So Mr. Dracul..a, let's do this. Today I may ask them about their olfactory preferences. But maybe some personal questions for now, so that the listeners and readers can get to know them a little."

Mr. Dracula: (licks with a swinging movement over the front teeth and looks slightly hungry...)
"Go ahead! There's still time to eat!"

I'm like, "Okay. First question... what do you like to eat?"

Mr. Dracula: "Bluuuut!! ... uh... blood sausage! Cool and bloody!"

I: "Haha why not, yes I like to eat them sometimes! Second question... Where do you prefer to spend your summer holidays?"

Mr. Dracula: "In gothic castles... cool and gloomy."

I: "Oh understand, yes, these adventure journeys have become more and more popular lately... you've seen every beach in the world, haven't you? Okay. what's your favourite drink?"

Mr. Dracula: "Haha, I'll show you later..." *laughs*

I'm like, "Well, that's nice of you to bring your favorite drink. :) I'm looking forward to it! Then let's move on to the next question... what do you like to wear?"

Mr. Dracula: "So preferably corpses through the area... or black, if they've referred to clothes now? I like it dark and weighed!"

I: "Hahaha, they Transylvanians really have their own humor, it's true what everyone says... yes, the clothes, I meant. Which smells do you like?"

Mr. Dracula: "Alssso, I like the smell of earth, incense, cool damp stone... maybe a little spice as long as it's not garlic!"

I'm like, "Oh, incense, it's always said you Transylvanians don't like incense?"

Mr. Dracula: "This is a widespread misconception, we like incense because it creates such a pleasant atmosphere in cool large buildings. Like an olfactory shadow. I like shadows."

I said, "And what's her favorite perfume?"

Mr. Dracula: "It is called "This is Him" by Zadig & Voltaire. These are... Family members of mine who live in a French castle. They have the same good taste as me."

I said, "Oh, I didn't know you were related How would you describe the scent?"

Mr. Dracula: "Well, I find it smoky, spicy and very dignified. It covers the skin like a veil. If he had a color, it'd be gray. It also has a slight sweetness that rounds off the whole, so that the perfume exudes a certain attraction, but no matter how close you get to it - the cooling incense remains the defining foundation, making it always a gothic. A slightly evil but good-looking and charming goth, just like me."

I say, "Haha, that's what I call a good explanation! Thanks for the description! And on what occasions do you like to wear it?"

Mr. Dracula: "To die, to sleep, to eat people...uhhh...meet... i actually wear it as good as ever, it's my signature scent. But you have to be cool enough to do it." *grins mischievously*

I said, "Yes, I think he's worthy of Signature. Well then thanks for the interview, and have a nice evening!"

Mr. Dracula: "But you don't want to leave now, do you? Try my red wine!"

I: "Forget Mr. Dracula, I know about you, and as a precaution I have layered Viktor & Rolf's Antidote and Paco Rabanne's Invictus Intense on top of each other, so your vampire genes would make you flinch at a slight approach to my skin because of the penetrating sweetness, and in case of a bite I would be prepared for your transformation poison."

Mr. Dracula: "Honour to whom honour is due, finally a man who is aware of the higher powers of this earth! In this case, goodbye!" *Turns into a bat and flies squeaky away*

I said, "Thanks for the interview!"
7.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

He really is!

All black, leather jacket & even to the suit. This is Him is so incredibly versatile, but somehow not. The fragrance by Zadig & Voltaire, which only appeared in 2016, shines with every black outfit. Somewhat leathery, slightly peppery and rounded off with vanilla. This is a good way to describe this fragrance.
Through black outfits, this fragrance can very quickly change from not quite everyday to super everyday fragrance.
Zadig & Voltaire works ONLY stylishly in a suit or rocky with a leather jacket.
You're out in Grandma's green and grey striped sweater? Not a chance.
This fragrance must be supported by purer toughness.
The durability is solid. He can do about 6-8 hours.
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

This is Him
I saw this around 18 months ago and as it was not too expensive, decided to try it. I had read mixed reviews and wanted to smell for myself. Here is a review from my channel, hope you find it helpful...

8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Punch or get punched?
Pepper, Vanilla, Wood and some grapefruit in the top. It’s like a comforting badass in a leather jacket. You know the type: The one who either starts a fight or stops an ongoing one. You really don’t know what to think of that person, all you know is that things always get interesting when he is around.
I love this one though, especially the dry down.

Demetera 43 days ago
Dark, but not too dark. Woody, but not “old man’s woody”. Great but not too much sillage. Elegant, but able to use everyday. Well balanced.+2
6.0
10.0
10.0
Carlitos01 153 days ago
If he is very balsamic, dark, smoky, a bit santal woody, and with noticeable vanilla sweetness, there is no doubts about it. This Is Him!+4
Trucklady 165 days ago
My best kept secret - this works like magic on me. Incense that is unisex and wearer friendly.
9.0
Jazzy76 8 months ago
Spicy, Woody, incensed:a true sexy potion contained in an apparently minimal bottle. Perfect on the feminine skin too . Quite good sillage+1
5.0
Elysium 9 months ago
A beautiful dissonance between smoky incense and creamy vanilla, sexy, smoky, with woody and smooth leather nuances. An oriental woody gem!+3
6.0
9.0
Syzygy73 3 years ago
If Interlude is Hemingway, chest puffed out and chewing a cigar, this is F. Scott Fitzgerald sitting quietly and meekly in the background.+3

by Shivsri13