This Is Him! 2016

This Is Him! by Zadig & Voltaire
This Is Him! is a popular perfume by Zadig & Voltaire for men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Black pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesVanilla, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood

Submitted by CPL, last update on 24.02.2021.

The face of the advertising campaign is model Sam Lammar.

Projected and provoked
So "This is him" hits the shit out of the opening. And it's not for everyone. But I like it. A slightly soapy, oriental smell jumps in the nose. I don't notice any grapefruit, but there is a hint of fresh moisture. After that, it becomes a little more gourmand through the vanilla. Whereby you must not imagine a gourmand. Tart and woody with an oriental touch, I think that sums it up quite well. I use the fragrance for party nights: black jeans, black t-shirt and leather jacket and TIH to go with it - perfect! It projects enough and not too penetrating (except maybe at the start) and lasts a long time. A fragrance for self-confident guys >25

Smellavision
Nice discrete and smoky sandalwood...
Opening with grapefruit (the grapefruit opening actually gives me an impression of cardamom - which is not listed?) and vanilla, in the heart it turns just a tad soapy, and the drydown is a smoky sweet sandalwood, probably due to the incense.

It's nice and all, yet I feel somewhat underwhelmed seeing that this was the first major retail release from Z&V (including big ad campaigns all perfectly timed for christmas 2016) and also I was maybe expecting something with a little more "punch" from Nathalie Lorson, that also brought us scents like the Encre Noire line and Bentley's For Men editions.
Last night my GF snuggled into me and said "mmm, smells like chocolate" ??! Haven't noticed that, but of course my skin may be interacting with this one.
Not a bad scent at all, but unfortunately easily overlooked.

Edit : also tested it in high heat and due to the discrete sillage it actually works very well in the summertime, didn't see that coming.
This is him(mlish)!

'This Is Him!' is probably the most famous fragrance of the French designer label 'Zadig & Voltaire'. This fragrance has already completely convinced me at the first test, so that I immediately bought a bottle. [As a little tip for interested parties: The set together with the shower gel is often cheaper to have than the solo fragrance!]

As for the fragrance, I can neither understand why some users here write of a sweet fragrance, it is in my opinion rather spicy, smoky and woody, nor why some commentators here talk about milkiness, where he comes along (bone) dry. Also from boredom or linearity I have to read, obzwar the fragrance has at least four fragrance phases.

After its minimally fruity and herbal liqueur opening (with an unfortunately somewhat medicinal Beigeruch) takes over very quickly the incense the helm and gives it so quickly also not again out of the hand. Here, at its heart, TIH exudes the sacred aura of an Orthodox church. Where the vanilla heart note comes from here at Parfumo is not clear to me. This clearly belongs in the base of the fragrance. Only when the spice and smoke subside does the vanilla note slowly emerge. But even here it remains rather background, while the sandalwood plays first fiddle.

With 'This Is Him!" we have 'Zadig & Voltaire' a relatively unique and successful composition to thank. (Similarities to the Moustache EdP by Rochas are present.) The perfume is of good durability and has an appealing sillage, which is hardly less with time. Meine Wenigkeit can only recommend this very masculine and yet gentle and warm fragrance, and over time he has even grown in my esteem.
Ufooo
Blindbuy - and bam it was love at first sight :')
Some fragrances are simply loved from the first spray. This one was just such a fragrance for me
When I looked in my drawer just now, I noticed that the flanker is coming to an end soon, which shows how much I love this fragrance.
Always wear it on colder days, but I have also worn it on cooler summer days or for going out/partying (before Corona).

He starts a little bit pushy and strong as I think, but that subsides quickly.
What follows is simply a delicious, slightly gourmand warmth in which I feel very comfortable.
I also got some compliments and asked which perfume I wear, another plus for me, because not mainstream.

I would consider projection and sillage to be above average and it could quickly become too much for the surrounding noses, so it is better to use it more sparingly (then you have something longer).

I will probably not buy a second bottle for the time being, as I still have the This is Him Wild Flanker, which I think is 90% similar to this one. If it is empty I will buy more, this scent is just something special for me
KevinGrey
Noble companion for special occasions
One of my absolute favorites:

It begins peppery hot, but also a bit flowery in the background. The silage is still strong in the beginning.

After an hour it has taken on a spicy vanilla-peppery note. The silage already diminishes considerably here, but remains discreetly present.

In the 5th to 6th hour it has become very spicy wood.

The silge is still present after 8 hours, but now it has become very close. It has proved itself with me to wear it also in the hair (in the plait) and in addition still in the neck. This way the silage stays longer and especially with wind or head movements it comes out really well... This applies to almost all scents ...

So for me it is a beautifully noble and pleasantly composed fragrance for high-level performances.

I like to wear it for example at professional meetings, seminars, conferences etc., similar to the Gentleman of Givenchy. And he takes it to the next level

Queruccio
Luxury inside an affordable perfume
I have met this perfume in one of the many perfume shops of my city.
Zadig&Voltaire is not a very famous brand, it usually is a bit hidden compare to the most famous brands.
I had underestimated this fragrance at first, on the paper strip this didn't really hit me.
But just out of curiosity once i have sprayed it on my arm. And after 3/4 hours I realized I love this perfume!
I used to compare this to Bvlgary man black orient, that tends more to the balsamic side.
This tends more to the woody side.
Especially in the dry down (after 2 hours it gets very close to the skin) this smells so luxurious! A sandalwood and incense masterpiece! And that light touch of vanilla combined with a tiny pinch of talco freshness (just my opinion, it s something i get in a nice way) make this fragrance unique.
It has similar competitors, but this is a very refined one and for the price it is definitely a must have!!

Do not hesitate, try it on your skin for a couple of times and then you will see...
Hard shell, soft core
Hello friends,

i have to admit, I only became really aware of the This is Him by Zadig&Voltaire through a fashion-youtuber (Mark Eggers, if you are interested). Because when I saw him talking about this fragrance a few times in his videos, he made me very curious. I have to mention that I had tested this fragrance a long time ago - about the beginning of the year - and I didn't like it that much at that time, but I'll come back to that in a moment...

So after I had seen some videos of the gentleman mentioned before, I got myself a small bottling of the fragrance. This happened about 2 months ago...
When I received the sample, I naturally wondered if I would like him this time. Because my "first time" with him (hmm, "first time"?! Shouldn't I phrase it differently? Oh what the heck, you know what is meant ;) ) was not that exhilarating... (Well, for which of us was the "first time" really so great... to come back to it :P).
No, I ramble. Sorry :)

So, the sample in your hand and off your wrists, as usual... "Mmm, pepper, lots of pepper! Very masculine, I kind of like it," I said to myself. I went to my partner and asked for her opinion: "Oh, he's got something! Smells kind of unique, I never smelled like that before." (to the remark: She knows quite well, also with men's fragrances and owns many bottles herself).

I personally liked him very much and I was surprised at the same time about the fact that he did not speak to me at the "first time" at the beginning of the year... I just assume that, as in a review I wrote recently, my taste and especially my nose developed faster than I would have thought possible
So I put it on completely (5-6 sprays in the neck/neck area and on the sweater) and we went to visit my brother together. When we arrived at his place, he asked me: "What are you wearing today? Smells very manly." (Note: My brother has 2 bottles, BossBottled and DylanBlue, but he rarely uses them). "Hmm, apparently he's going down well," I thought to myself and was naturally pleased about this fact.
[...]

The days and weeks after I wore this fragrance over and over again and from time to time I found it better and better. "Yes, old man, this is exactly what I was missing in my collection. Male, attractive, dark, mysterious", was constantly running through my mind when I wore it. And I noticed that it was equally popular with men and women. Which, as you know, can often be quite different, as you know yourselves...

About the durability I can say that it lasts 6-7 h on my skin, while the Sillage projects really strong in the first 3h. When I have it on and am outdoors, it doesn't even need a gust of wind; I notice it very well on me and the people around me as well. And this feeling is already a little ego boost, because I find this fragrance has a very mysterious and mysterious aura, which makes me feel sexy :D

I see in this fragrance a man who outwardly displays a brusque, cool, detached and disinterested behaviour; in fact, I would even say that he comes across as rather arrogant at times. But in truth and deep inside he is a warm-hearted, sensitive and simply nice guy, who simply wouldn't hurt a fly. I think most of us have at least one friend or acquaintance who fits this description [...]

As already mentioned, the This is Him opens with a lot of (black) pepper, so a rather spicy opening is encountered at the first spraying, which is also strongly present throughout the fragrance and gives the scent its characteristic herbaceous nuance. However, I personally can only perceive very little grapefruit. However, one quickly notices the creamy vanilla, which is not long in coming. This and pepper are the main players in this fragrance. The incense gives the whole thing a balsamic-warm touch; and the fact that the ancient Egyptians are said to have already used the resin of the incense as an incense and remedy speaks for this scent... Sandalwood is also added to the base, which makes the fragrance radiate even more additional warmth, because this makes it minimally sweet in the base and rounds off the earthy-woody character.
Conclusion:
In my eyes the This is Him with "only" 7.7 is quite undervalued here. And also in general not many perfume reviewers or others talk about him that much, which is a pity. MMn he would have deserved at least an 8 and much more attention.
I think this fragrance goes down very well especially in autumn or on cool spring days and is best suited to these seasons. And since it projects quite strongly in the first hours, I now apply a maximum of 3-4 spray bursts. And I usually dress very dark and also like to wear a black leather jacket with black boots. Personally I find a certain "bad-boy" look to go with it.
[...]

Well, maybe one or two of you will give it a chance. Because in my eyes it is an underestimated little insider tip; a very good masculine attractive fragrance, which is very unique and definitely has recognition value.
VG and thank you for reading!
SHbaden
In front of a brothel in Barcelona
"It takes time for this fragrance. A lot of time. It's not the fragrance that takes time, it's the wearer. If you take this time, Joop Homme Absolute (!) takes the user on a trip around the world.
Immediately after application (one should spray on abundantly) it appears hard, smoky, rough, almost a little salty. The first station of the world trip is reached. Close your eyes. If you hear the fire crackle, you can hear the rock fire. Can you smell the fresh salmon by the fire? Do you feel the cool clear summer night? You can feel the cold of the night and the warmth of the fire at the same time. If you keep your eyes closed, you find yourself at the campfire of the old Vikings.

A short time later you reach the second station of the journey. We land on an oriental market. But not one of the so often tried pure spice markets. We landed in an oriental food alley. Of course there are spices here, too. You'd think the three kings were after our poor soul. But here you can also get fried chicken. On some corners a bearded turban-wearer offers leather shoes for sale. There are freshly tanned animal skins. Do you hear the feeders calling. Can you feel the vibration of this market in the midday sun?
A little later the third part of the journey follows.
We are back in Central Europe. Take a deep breath, keep your eyes closed The doors are opening. One gets out of the cable car gondola. In the waiting room of the top station, the smell from the engine room easily penetrates. It smells like slightly sweet machine oil. Not obtrusive, one takes this pleasant. After leaving the cable car building one finds oneself in the garden of the mountain monastery. We sit down in the arcades of the monastery. Do you feel the peace and quiet, the power of the place? Now and then the door of the small chapel opens behind us. Do you smell the cold stone, the smell of the old wood of the benches? Do you feel the breeze of the monk passing by? The monk is wearing a long linen robe and leather shoes. Right?

And now as the day draws to a close. The last stop on the world tour.

New York. But not upstairs, downstairs. Bronx. Subway Station 145 Street.
Standing by the track. The shaft wind blows through us in its typical mixture of warm and cold. You can smell the heavy iron bars in the entrance area that are supposed to keep the fare dodgers away. With us on the platform is a passenger carrying an overfull K-mart shopping cart full of his belongings. A little further on a completely dented Mountain Dew vending machine is humming. The train crashes into the station. It pushes the tunnel air in front of it, which hits us in the face. The doors open, we get on. The seats, faux leather upholstered. Only one passenger in the car. It's a sailor wearing what? Sure. Gaultiers le Male.

Now we open our eyes, the day is over. We're home again. An exciting journey lies behind us."

In parts "This is Him" also has what it takes to take the user on this very journey.
But unfortunately only dreaming, lying drunk in the gutter, in front of a whorehouse in Barcelona!

Pity, Zadig& Voltaire
Adrian24
Smells like "The Awakening 2018" -York sounds.
Wake up, get up, spray this fragrance and march through the day with the aforementioned song in your ear... at least for the solid 7-8 hours he keeps me. Since most people won't know the song, let me say: It sounds cool, confident, soft rocky with an electric guitar, whose chords are echoing in the background. One of those where the step accelerates and you immediately start to stride more confidently. I only hope that the above mentioned scenario will become reality next fall and that I won't be forced to stay at home any longer, because this scent fits perfectly to the song

Before I start (to try) to describe the fragrance, first of all two points which I think are very much in his favour:

1. Here you get a very solid, everyday cold weather fragrance for a fair price, which falls noticeably out of the mainstream of designer fragrances. I like an individual touch - who wouldn't! 2. You get exactly what's in the fragrances here. Even as a still inexperienced nose (this is my debut comment) you can clearly perceive every single note and the progression.

Now for the fragrance itself. It starts with a good portion of pepper in the face. In my opinion Madame Lorson overdid it here with the spice, a little less pepper and "This is Him!" would have easily reached 9 in my case - but for that we still have Just Rock ;)
With the easily noticeable graipfruit, this gives a start that tickles your nose, the vanilla is not yet present enough here to balance it out. The graipfruit, however, retreats quite soon in the course of the fragrance and releases the heart of vanilla and incense that I love very(!) much. Soon after, the sandalwood completes the triad and makes the fragrance character much softer and more pleasant, although the pepper remains throughout. Fortunately, however, the pepper is slowly becoming weaker and weaker. It's just a pity that the scent doesn't project so loud when the sandalwood is added, because that's maybe the best part Conclusion: Extremely dry, extremely spicy and quite "dark" fragrance, the magic of the characteristic vanilla incense heart must have been tested!
You should get this scent when you...
...wants to impress the pretty boys (because I am quite sure that they will find him better than the pretty girls)
...wants to come across more confident in business than the slick CEO
...with the Turk always ordered with extra spicy
...as a bouncer, I'd like to save myself the pepper spray
...generally wants to be the hottest guy in the room

"This is Him!" is, as the exclamation mark says, one of those few scents that I would be irritated to smell on a woman. To me it seems very masculine. However, if I meet a lady who can rock it authentically, then I take off my hat figuratively and want to get to know her better, because she must be a very interesting person with a lot of self-confidence!
Greetings go out to this lady and you all Adrian
Peppered vanilla immersion geese
The This is Him & This is Her collections enjoy greater recognition in the fragrance world. Zadig & Voltaire, a rather expensive fashion brand from Paris, already has a certain charm, and the flacons are also fashionably 1A designed with elegant lightness.
This This is Him! I know for a few years already and I have tested it a few times. The spark never really jumped over that I wanted to have this one. Recently I bought a small 30ml bottle at 30% discount. With this discount it would have been a nice addition to my collection, I probably wouldn't have bought it for the regular price. Especially since I already have a fragrance with Acqua di Hamburg - Hafen, which has exactly the same notes and comes very close to it
The bottle is really cool. Casual black with white writing. Extremely modern and also with a broken look at the edge.
The description of the fragrance is quite short. You can also get the given notes in a less complex way. Vanilla with pepper is the best to smell out. Especially the start is peppery, paired with vanilla, which can be perceived throughout the whole process. In addition a slightly smoky incense note, which gives this fragrance a lot of elegance. Also the soft sandalwood note is very present, not only in the base. A lot of progression is not perceptible here anyway.
The performance is quite good. Sillage over close up over many hours and the durability is also ok.

For me in the whole no fragrance that knocks me off my feet and is mega-exclusive. Instead you get a fragrance that is always wearable in everyday life and never too heavy. An evergreen for leisure time on not too hot days. For normal everyday situations it will never be too much and will certainly accompany you well and solidly. This peppery vanilla with lots of wood will certainly not scare anyone away.

On the whole for me a great fragrance where you can access especially at offers

Shafkat82Shafkat82 3 days ago
This is really a unique and very underrated fragrance ... The vanilla and incense combo ...oh what a combination .
HugoMontezHugoMontez 4 months ago
One of the best designers in the past 5 years. Basically, a sandalwood-vanilla combo with some black pepper. Performance is great. 4/5
BertolucciKBertolucciK 5 months ago
This Is Him! opens with a lot of pepper and incense. In the drydown, it is smoky, dark, woodsy and slightly sweet from the vanilla.
SvafrahSvafrah 6 months ago
So manly! This smells so good for fall. Sandalwood and vanilla makes this wonderful. Bad ass rocker meets a church member ????
Amazon1975Amazon1975 1 year ago
Blind buy..it smells ok for the few hours it lasts...update....wore it a few more times....still light....but does last a reasonable amount.
DemeteraDemetera 1 year ago
Dark, but not too dark. Woody, but not “old man’s woody”. Great but not too much sillage. Elegant, but able to use everyday. Well balanced.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
It's alluring, balsamic, dark, smoky, santal woody, and with a noticeable vanilla sweetness.
Recommended! No doubts about it. This Is Him!
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
My best kept secret - this works like magic on me. Incense that is unisex and wearer friendly.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
Spicy, Woody, incensed:a true sexy potion contained in an apparently minimal bottle. Perfect on the feminine skin too . Quite good sillage
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
A beautiful dissonance between smoky incense and creamy vanilla, sexy, smoky, with woody and smooth leather nuances. An oriental woody gem!

by Shivsri13
by Ronaldo2902
by Riceboy
by Riceboy

Popular Zadig & Voltaire

Just Rock! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! by Zadig & Voltaire Just Rock! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Do Anything by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Love! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Love! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Him by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Say Anything by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Him! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Us! by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Be Crazy by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Her by Zadig & Voltaire