This Is Him! 2016

This Is Him! by Zadig & Voltaire
This Is Him! is a popular perfume by Zadig & Voltaire for men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruitGrapefruit Black pepperBlack pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesVanillaVanilla FrankincenseFrankincense
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwoodSandalwood

Submitted by CPL, last update on 14.05.2022.

The face of the advertising campaign is model Sam Lammar.

Peppery adventure
I'll say it up front... i have drunk 2-4 beers and accordingly motivated and at the same time benevolent I am. But I just have to say:

After initial skepticism due to the strong pepper top note (I sneezed untruthfully), I am yet pleasantly surprised. For the cold season, due to the base note of vanilla, very suitable. The people around you, this was probably very pleasant... at least no one obviously sought the distance and my "interest" went to me not from neck.

All in all... i got me after the sample now nen Flakon... "It's Just Me"
Great love at 3rd sight!
Now I have to and would like to write down my first comment and it is not a top 10 designer or a niche fragrance....dennoch has me this fragrance totally gripped and as in the headline already to read, I was initially not sooo convinced.

It had started in the Office, in autumn / winter 2019, when a work colleague, who always has great and new fragrances at the start, had this fragrance on it for the first time.
I get to the office and and immediately smell something new in the air...walk up to him and ask him directly, "What scent is that"...Zadig & Voltaire....he says...mmmmh ok. Rich though sweet and I actually do not like all too sweet fragrances, but this one is really interesting.
I so after work immediately in the city, in the Pafümerie...There he stands, I spray the part on the cardboard strip and smell - mmmmh somehow not so cool. Too bad - I let him stand and go again :-(

Next day in the office - I smell the same fragrance already elevator and again I like it very much in the air...It was again the certain colleague. Damn, I think to myself...again in the Pafümerie and this time directly on the skin and off home. I let the woman dran schnuppern, then I sniff again...Her like him not so quite doll and me somehow not yet so that I want to buy him.

Then I have the fragrance for the time being out of my head. A few weeks later, back in the office. I'm standing in the kitchen and notice again a fragrance that again extremely flatters me in the nose - Who is standing in the kitchen with me → exactly, the particular colleague and yes, he had again "This is him" on it...my goodness, I think to myself - I just order the now!

What can I say, he is now one of my favorites! He smells for me unique, cuddly, masculine and is a great all-rounder, if not just high summer is.
But what excites me the most, the absolutely great performance. It is one of the very few designer fragrances that lasts on me really long and also sprays a great sillage. I notice the vanilla and incense all day, especially on clothes.
For the course a "MUST HAVE" in my eyes! Because I find that in the current designer fragrance world you hardly have fragrances that have a decent performance, unless they are cardboard sweet and too youthful, which I do not necessarily celebrate.

One is always on the lookout, for small fragrance treasures that impress a lasting impression and with "This is him" is the case with me - even if it took a little ;)
Projected and provoked
So "This is him" hits the shit out of the opening. And it's not for everyone. But I like it. A slightly soapy, oriental smell jumps in the nose. I don't notice any grapefruit, but there is a hint of fresh moisture. After that, it becomes a little more gourmand through the vanilla. Whereby you must not imagine a gourmand. Tart and woody with an oriental touch, I think that sums it up quite well. I use the fragrance for party nights: black jeans, black t-shirt and leather jacket and TIH to go with it - perfect! It projects enough and not too penetrating (except maybe at the start) and lasts a long time. A fragrance for self-confident guys >25

Smellavision
Nice discrete and smoky sandalwood...
Opening with grapefruit (the grapefruit opening actually gives me an impression of cardamom - which is not listed?) and vanilla, in the heart it turns just a tad soapy, and the drydown is a smoky sweet sandalwood, probably due to the incense.

It's nice and all, yet I feel somewhat underwhelmed seeing that this was the first major retail release from Z&V (including big ad campaigns all perfectly timed for christmas 2016) and also I was maybe expecting something with a little more "punch" from Nathalie Lorson, that also brought us scents like the Encre Noire line and Bentley's For Men editions.
Last night my GF snuggled into me and said "mmm, smells like chocolate" ??! Haven't noticed that, but of course my skin may be interacting with this one.
Not a bad scent at all, but unfortunately easily overlooked.

Edit : also tested it in high heat and due to the discrete sillage it actually works very well in the summertime, didn't see that coming.
This is him(mlish)!

'This Is Him!' is probably the most famous fragrance of the French designer label 'Zadig & Voltaire'. This fragrance has already completely convinced me at the first test, so that I immediately bought a bottle. [As a little tip for interested parties: The set together with the shower gel is often cheaper to have than the solo fragrance!]

As for the fragrance, I can neither understand why some users here write of a sweet fragrance, it is in my opinion rather spicy, smoky and woody, nor why some commentators here talk about milkiness, where he comes along (bone) dry. Also from boredom or linearity I have to read, obzwar the fragrance has at least four fragrance phases.

After its minimally fruity and herbal liqueur opening (with an unfortunately somewhat medicinal Beigeruch) takes over very quickly the incense the helm and gives it so quickly also not again out of the hand. Here, at its heart, TIH exudes the sacred aura of an Orthodox church. Where the vanilla heart note comes from here at Parfumo is not clear to me. This clearly belongs in the base of the fragrance. Only when the spice and smoke subside does the vanilla note slowly emerge. But even here it remains rather background, while the sandalwood plays first fiddle.

With 'This Is Him!" we have 'Zadig & Voltaire' a relatively unique and successful composition to thank. (Similarities to the Moustache EdP by Rochas are present.) The perfume is of good durability and has an appealing sillage, which is hardly less with time. Meine Wenigkeit can only recommend this very masculine and yet gentle and warm fragrance, and over time he has even grown in my esteem.
Ufooo
Blindbuy - and bam it was love at first sight :')
Some fragrances are simply loved from the first spray. This one was just such a fragrance for me
When I looked in my drawer just now, I noticed that the flanker is coming to an end soon, which shows how much I love this fragrance.
Always wear it on colder days, but I have also worn it on cooler summer days or for going out/partying (before Corona).

He starts a little bit pushy and strong as I think, but that subsides quickly.
What follows is simply a delicious, slightly gourmand warmth in which I feel very comfortable.
I also got some compliments and asked which perfume I wear, another plus for me, because not mainstream.

I would consider projection and sillage to be above average and it could quickly become too much for the surrounding noses, so it is better to use it more sparingly (then you have something longer).

I will probably not buy a second bottle for the time being, as I still have the This is Him Wild Flanker, which I think is 90% similar to this one. If it is empty I will buy more, this scent is just something special for me
KevinGrey
Noble companion for special occasions
One of my absolute favorites:

It begins peppery hot, but also a bit flowery in the background. The silage is still strong in the beginning.

After an hour it has taken on a spicy vanilla-peppery note. The silage already diminishes considerably here, but remains discreetly present.

In the 5th to 6th hour it has become very spicy wood.

The silge is still present after 8 hours, but now it has become very close. It has proved itself with me to wear it also in the hair (in the plait) and in addition still in the neck. This way the silage stays longer and especially with wind or head movements it comes out really well... This applies to almost all scents ...

So for me it is a beautifully noble and pleasantly composed fragrance for high-level performances.

I like to wear it for example at professional meetings, seminars, conferences etc., similar to the Gentleman of Givenchy. And he takes it to the next level

Queruccio
Luxury inside an affordable perfume
I have met this perfume in one of the many perfume shops of my city.
Zadig&Voltaire is not a very famous brand, it usually is a bit hidden compare to the most famous brands.
I had underestimated this fragrance at first, on the paper strip this didn't really hit me.
But just out of curiosity once i have sprayed it on my arm. And after 3/4 hours I realized I love this perfume!
I used to compare this to Bvlgary man black orient, that tends more to the balsamic side.
This tends more to the woody side.
Especially in the dry down (after 2 hours it gets very close to the skin) this smells so luxurious! A sandalwood and incense masterpiece! And that light touch of vanilla combined with a tiny pinch of talco freshness (just my opinion, it s something i get in a nice way) make this fragrance unique.
It has similar competitors, but this is a very refined one and for the price it is definitely a must have!!

Do not hesitate, try it on your skin for a couple of times and then you will see...
Hard shell, soft core
Hello friends,

i have to admit, I only became really aware of the This is Him by Zadig&Voltaire through a fashion-youtuber (Mark Eggers, if you are interested). Because when I saw him talking about this fragrance a few times in his videos, he made me very curious. I have to mention that I had tested this fragrance a long time ago - about the beginning of the year - and I didn't like it that much at that time, but I'll come back to that in a moment...

So after I had seen some videos of the gentleman mentioned before, I got myself a small bottling of the fragrance. This happened about 2 months ago...
When I received the sample, I naturally wondered if I would like him this time. Because my "first time" with him (hmm, "first time"?! Shouldn't I phrase it differently? Oh what the heck, you know what is meant ;) ) was not that exhilarating... (Well, for which of us was the "first time" really so great... to come back to it :P).
No, I ramble. Sorry :)

So, the sample in your hand and off your wrists, as usual... "Mmm, pepper, lots of pepper! Very masculine, I kind of like it," I said to myself. I went to my partner and asked for her opinion: "Oh, he's got something! Smells kind of unique, I never smelled like that before." (to the remark: She knows quite well, also with men's fragrances and owns many bottles herself).

I personally liked him very much and I was surprised at the same time about the fact that he did not speak to me at the "first time" at the beginning of the year... I just assume that, as in a review I wrote recently, my taste and especially my nose developed faster than I would have thought possible
So I put it on completely (5-6 sprays in the neck/neck area and on the sweater) and we went to visit my brother together. When we arrived at his place, he asked me: "What are you wearing today? Smells very manly." (Note: My brother has 2 bottles, BossBottled and DylanBlue, but he rarely uses them). "Hmm, apparently he's going down well," I thought to myself and was naturally pleased about this fact.
[...]

The days and weeks after I wore this fragrance over and over again and from time to time I found it better and better. "Yes, old man, this is exactly what I was missing in my collection. Male, attractive, dark, mysterious", was constantly running through my mind when I wore it. And I noticed that it was equally popular with men and women. Which, as you know, can often be quite different, as you know yourselves...

About the durability I can say that it lasts 6-7 h on my skin, while the Sillage projects really strong in the first 3h. When I have it on and am outdoors, it doesn't even need a gust of wind; I notice it very well on me and the people around me as well. And this feeling is already a little ego boost, because I find this fragrance has a very mysterious and mysterious aura, which makes me feel sexy :D

I see in this fragrance a man who outwardly displays a brusque, cool, detached and disinterested behaviour; in fact, I would even say that he comes across as rather arrogant at times. But in truth and deep inside he is a warm-hearted, sensitive and simply nice guy, who simply wouldn't hurt a fly. I think most of us have at least one friend or acquaintance who fits this description [...]

As already mentioned, the This is Him opens with a lot of (black) pepper, so a rather spicy opening is encountered at the first spraying, which is also strongly present throughout the fragrance and gives the scent its characteristic herbaceous nuance. However, I personally can only perceive very little grapefruit. However, one quickly notices the creamy vanilla, which is not long in coming. This and pepper are the main players in this fragrance. The incense gives the whole thing a balsamic-warm touch; and the fact that the ancient Egyptians are said to have already used the resin of the incense as an incense and remedy speaks for this scent... Sandalwood is also added to the base, which makes the fragrance radiate even more additional warmth, because this makes it minimally sweet in the base and rounds off the earthy-woody character.
Conclusion:
In my eyes the This is Him with "only" 7.7 is quite undervalued here. And also in general not many perfume reviewers or others talk about him that much, which is a pity. MMn he would have deserved at least an 8 and much more attention.
I think this fragrance goes down very well especially in autumn or on cool spring days and is best suited to these seasons. And since it projects quite strongly in the first hours, I now apply a maximum of 3-4 spray bursts. And I usually dress very dark and also like to wear a black leather jacket with black boots. Personally I find a certain "bad-boy" look to go with it.
[...]

Well, maybe one or two of you will give it a chance. Because in my eyes it is an underestimated little insider tip; a very good masculine attractive fragrance, which is very unique and definitely has recognition value.
VG and thank you for reading!
SHbaden
In front of a brothel in Barcelona
"It takes time for this fragrance. A lot of time. It's not the fragrance that takes time, it's the wearer. If you take this time, Joop Homme Absolute (!) takes the user on a trip around the world.
Immediately after application (one should spray on abundantly) it appears hard, smoky, rough, almost a little salty. The first station of the world trip is reached. Close your eyes. If you hear the fire crackle, you can hear the rock fire. Can you smell the fresh salmon by the fire? Do you feel the cool clear summer night? You can feel the cold of the night and the warmth of the fire at the same time. If you keep your eyes closed, you find yourself at the campfire of the old Vikings.

A short time later you reach the second station of the journey. We land on an oriental market. But not one of the so often tried pure spice markets. We landed in an oriental food alley. Of course there are spices here, too. You'd think the three kings were after our poor soul. But here you can also get fried chicken. On some corners a bearded turban-wearer offers leather shoes for sale. There are freshly tanned animal skins. Do you hear the feeders calling. Can you feel the vibration of this market in the midday sun?
A little later the third part of the journey follows.
We are back in Central Europe. Take a deep breath, keep your eyes closed The doors are opening. One gets out of the cable car gondola. In the waiting room of the top station, the smell from the engine room easily penetrates. It smells like slightly sweet machine oil. Not obtrusive, one takes this pleasant. After leaving the cable car building one finds oneself in the garden of the mountain monastery. We sit down in the arcades of the monastery. Do you feel the peace and quiet, the power of the place? Now and then the door of the small chapel opens behind us. Do you smell the cold stone, the smell of the old wood of the benches? Do you feel the breeze of the monk passing by? The monk is wearing a long linen robe and leather shoes. Right?

And now as the day draws to a close. The last stop on the world tour.

New York. But not upstairs, downstairs. Bronx. Subway Station 145 Street.
Standing by the track. The shaft wind blows through us in its typical mixture of warm and cold. You can smell the heavy iron bars in the entrance area that are supposed to keep the fare dodgers away. With us on the platform is a passenger carrying an overfull K-mart shopping cart full of his belongings. A little further on a completely dented Mountain Dew vending machine is humming. The train crashes into the station. It pushes the tunnel air in front of it, which hits us in the face. The doors open, we get on. The seats, faux leather upholstered. Only one passenger in the car. It's a sailor wearing what? Sure. Gaultiers le Male.

Now we open our eyes, the day is over. We're home again. An exciting journey lies behind us."

In parts "This is Him" also has what it takes to take the user on this very journey.
But unfortunately only dreaming, lying drunk in the gutter, in front of a whorehouse in Barcelona!

Pity, Zadig& Voltaire

Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 18 days ago
Dark and dry woods with a bit of vanilla sweetness. reminds me a bit of Nuit d'Issey. Its ok but there a better options in this area
MarkoLeMarkoLe 8 months ago
Imagine making a fire in a fireplace, but forget to open the damper at the right time.
Very realistic scent of smoke and sweet burnt wood.
JFP26JFP26 1 year ago
This is literally a rock star scent. Dark yet creamy. Opens with pepper and then a mix of incense and vanilla. Fall/winter use. I love it!
Shafkat82Shafkat82 1 year ago
This is really a unique and very underrated fragrance ... The vanilla and incense combo ...oh what a combination .
HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 years ago
One of the best designers of the past 5 years. Basically, a sandalwood-vanilla combo with some black pepper. Performance is great. 4/5
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 years ago
This Is Him! opens with a lot of pepper and incense. In the drydown, it is smoky, dark, woodsy and slightly sweet from the vanilla.
SvafrahSvafrah 2 years ago
So manly! This smells so good for fall. Sandalwood and vanilla makes this wonderful. Bad ass rocker meets a church member ????
Amazon1975Amazon1975 3 years ago
Blind buy..it smells ok for the few hours it lasts...update....wore it a few more times....still light....but does last a reasonable amount.
DemeteraDemetera 3 years ago
Dark, but not too dark. Woody, but not “old man’s woody”. Great but not too much sillage. Elegant, but able to use everyday. Well balanced.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
It's alluring, balsamic, dark, smoky, santal woody, and with a noticeable vanilla sweetness.
Recommended! No doubts about it. This Is Him!

by Shivsri13
by Ronaldo2902
by Riceboy
by Riceboy

Popular by Zadig & Voltaire

Just Rock! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! by Zadig & Voltaire Just Rock! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Do Anything by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Love! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Love! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Us! by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Me! by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Be Crazy by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! Vibes of Freedom by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Say Anything by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Him by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Him! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! Art 4 All by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Us! L'Eau for All by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Him! Vibes of Freedom by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Her by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Happiness! by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Him! Art 4 All by Zadig & Voltaire