This Is Him! (2016)

This Is Him! by Zadig & Voltaire

This Is Him! is a popular perfume by Zadig & Voltaire for men and was released in 2016. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Black pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesVanilla, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood

Submitted by CPL, last update on 04.07.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is model Sam Lammar.

Queruccio
Luxury inside an affordable perfume
I have met this perfume in one of the many perfume shops of my city.
Zadig&Voltaire is not a very famous brand, it usually is a bit hidden compare to the most famous brands.
I had underestimated this fragrance at first, on the paper strip this didn't really hit me.
But just out of curiosity once i have sprayed it on my arm. And after 3/4 hours I realized I love this perfume!
I used to compare this to Bvlgary man black orient, that tends more to the balsamic side.
This tends more to the woody side.
Especially in the dry down (after 2 hours it gets very close to the skin) this smells so luxurious! A sandalwood and incense masterpiece! And that light touch of vanilla combined with a tiny pinch of talco freshness (just my opinion, it s something i get in a nice way) make this fragrance unique.
It has similar competitors, but this is a very refined one and for the price it is definitely a must have!!

Do not hesitate, try it on your skin for a couple of times and then you will see...
Hard shell, soft core
Hello friends,

i have to admit, I only became really aware of the This is Him by Zadig&Voltaire through a fashion-youtuber (Mark Eggers, if you are interested). Because when I saw him talking about this fragrance a few times in his videos, he made me very curious. I have to mention that I had tested this fragrance a long time ago - about the beginning of the year - and I didn't like it that much at that time, but I'll come back to that in a moment...

So after I had seen some videos of the gentleman mentioned before, I got myself a small bottling of the fragrance. This happened about 2 months ago...
When I received the sample, I naturally wondered if I would like him this time. Because my "first time" with him (hmm, "first time"?! Shouldn't I phrase it differently? Oh what the heck, you know what is meant ;) ) was not that exhilarating... (Well, for which of us was the "first time" really so great... to come back to it :P).
No, I ramble. Sorry :)

So, the sample in your hand and off your wrists, as usual... "Mmm, pepper, lots of pepper! Very masculine, I kind of like it," I said to myself. I went to my partner and asked for her opinion: "Oh, he's got something! Smells kind of unique, I never smelled like that before." (to the remark: She knows quite well, also with men's fragrances and owns many bottles herself).

I personally liked him very much and I was surprised at the same time about the fact that he did not speak to me at the "first time" at the beginning of the year... I just assume that, as in a review I wrote recently, my taste and especially my nose developed faster than I would have thought possible
So I put it on completely (5-6 sprays in the neck/neck area and on the sweater) and we went to visit my brother together. When we arrived at his place, he asked me: "What are you wearing today? Smells very manly." (Note: My brother has 2 bottles, BossBottled and DylanBlue, but he rarely uses them). "Hmm, apparently he's going down well," I thought to myself and was naturally pleased about this fact.
[...]

The days and weeks after I wore this fragrance over and over again and from time to time I found it better and better. "Yes, old man, this is exactly what I was missing in my collection. Male, attractive, dark, mysterious", was constantly running through my mind when I wore it. And I noticed that it was equally popular with men and women. Which, as you know, can often be quite different, as you know yourselves...

About the durability I can say that it lasts 6-7 h on my skin, while the Sillage projects really strong in the first 3h. When I have it on and am outdoors, it doesn't even need a gust of wind; I notice it very well on me and the people around me as well. And this feeling is already a little ego boost, because I find this fragrance has a very mysterious and mysterious aura, which makes me feel sexy :D

I see in this fragrance a man who outwardly displays a brusque, cool, detached and disinterested behaviour; in fact, I would even say that he comes across as rather arrogant at times. But in truth and deep inside he is a warm-hearted, sensitive and simply nice guy, who simply wouldn't hurt a fly. I think most of us have at least one friend or acquaintance who fits this description [...]

As already mentioned, the This is Him opens with a lot of (black) pepper, so a rather spicy opening is encountered at the first spraying, which is also strongly present throughout the fragrance and gives the scent its characteristic herbaceous nuance. However, I personally can only perceive very little grapefruit. However, one quickly notices the creamy vanilla, which is not long in coming. This and pepper are the main players in this fragrance. The incense gives the whole thing a balsamic-warm touch; and the fact that the ancient Egyptians are said to have already used the resin of the incense as an incense and remedy speaks for this scent... Sandalwood is also added to the base, which makes the fragrance radiate even more additional warmth, because this makes it minimally sweet in the base and rounds off the earthy-woody character.
Conclusion:
In my eyes the This is Him with "only" 7.7 is quite undervalued here. And also in general not many perfume reviewers or others talk about him that much, which is a pity. MMn he would have deserved at least an 8 and much more attention.
I think this fragrance goes down very well especially in autumn or on cool spring days and is best suited to these seasons. And since it projects quite strongly in the first hours, I now apply a maximum of 3-4 spray bursts. And I usually dress very dark and also like to wear a black leather jacket with black boots. Personally I find a certain "bad-boy" look to go with it.
[...]

Well, maybe one or two of you will give it a chance. Because in my eyes it is an underestimated little insider tip; a very good masculine attractive fragrance, which is very unique and definitely has recognition value.
VG and thank you for reading!
SHbaden
In front of a brothel in Barcelona
"It takes time for this fragrance. A lot of time. It's not the fragrance that takes time, it's the wearer. If you take this time, Joop Homme Absolute (!) takes the user on a trip around the world.
Immediately after application (one should spray on abundantly) it appears hard, smoky, rough, almost a little salty. The first station of the world trip is reached. Close your eyes. If you hear the fire crackle, you can hear the rock fire. Can you smell the fresh salmon by the fire? Do you feel the cool clear summer night? You can feel the cold of the night and the warmth of the fire at the same time. If you keep your eyes closed, you find yourself at the campfire of the old Vikings.

A short time later you reach the second station of the journey. We land on an oriental market. But not one of the so often tried pure spice markets. We landed in an oriental food alley. Of course there are spices here, too. You'd think the three kings were after our poor soul. But here you can also get fried chicken. On some corners a bearded turban-wearer offers leather shoes for sale. There are freshly tanned animal skins. Do you hear the feeders calling. Can you feel the vibration of this market in the midday sun?
A little later the third part of the journey follows.
We are back in Central Europe. Take a deep breath, keep your eyes closed The doors are opening. One gets out of the cable car gondola. In the waiting room of the top station, the smell from the engine room easily penetrates. It smells like slightly sweet machine oil. Not obtrusive, one takes this pleasant. After leaving the cable car building one finds oneself in the garden of the mountain monastery. We sit down in the arcades of the monastery. Do you feel the peace and quiet, the power of the place? Now and then the door of the small chapel opens behind us. Do you smell the cold stone, the smell of the old wood of the benches? Do you feel the breeze of the monk passing by? The monk is wearing a long linen robe and leather shoes. Right?

And now as the day draws to a close. The last stop on the world tour.

New York. But not upstairs, downstairs. Bronx. Subway Station 145 Street.
Standing by the track. The shaft wind blows through us in its typical mixture of warm and cold. You can smell the heavy iron bars in the entrance area that are supposed to keep the fare dodgers away. With us on the platform is a passenger carrying an overfull K-mart shopping cart full of his belongings. A little further on a completely dented Mountain Dew vending machine is humming. The train crashes into the station. It pushes the tunnel air in front of it, which hits us in the face. The doors open, we get on. The seats, faux leather upholstered. Only one passenger in the car. It's a sailor wearing what? Sure. Gaultiers le Male.

Now we open our eyes, the day is over. We're home again. An exciting journey lies behind us."

In parts "This is Him" also has what it takes to take the user on this very journey.
But unfortunately only dreaming, lying drunk in the gutter, in front of a whorehouse in Barcelona!

Pity, Zadig& Voltaire
Adrian24
Smells like "The Awakening 2018" -York sounds.
Wake up, get up, spray this fragrance and march through the day with the aforementioned song in your ear... at least for the solid 7-8 hours he keeps me. Since most people won't know the song, let me say: It sounds cool, confident, soft rocky with an electric guitar, whose chords are echoing in the background. One of those where the step accelerates and you immediately start to stride more confidently. I only hope that the above mentioned scenario will become reality next fall and that I won't be forced to stay at home any longer, because this scent fits perfectly to the song

Before I start (to try) to describe the fragrance, first of all two points which I think are very much in his favour:

1. Here you get a very solid, everyday cold weather fragrance for a fair price, which falls noticeably out of the mainstream of designer fragrances. I like an individual touch - who wouldn't! 2. You get exactly what's in the fragrances here. Even as a still inexperienced nose (this is my debut comment) you can clearly perceive every single note and the progression.

Now for the fragrance itself. It starts with a good portion of pepper in the face. In my opinion Madame Lorson overdid it here with the spice, a little less pepper and "This is Him!" would have easily reached 9 in my case - but for that we still have Just Rock ;)
With the easily noticeable graipfruit, this gives a start that tickles your nose, the vanilla is not yet present enough here to balance it out. The graipfruit, however, retreats quite soon in the course of the fragrance and releases the heart of vanilla and incense that I love very(!) much. Soon after, the sandalwood completes the triad and makes the fragrance character much softer and more pleasant, although the pepper remains throughout. Fortunately, however, the pepper is slowly becoming weaker and weaker. It's just a pity that the scent doesn't project so loud when the sandalwood is added, because that's maybe the best part Conclusion: Extremely dry, extremely spicy and quite "dark" fragrance, the magic of the characteristic vanilla incense heart must have been tested!
You should get this scent when you...
...wants to impress the pretty boys (because I am quite sure that they will find him better than the pretty girls)
...wants to come across more confident in business than the slick CEO
...with the Turk always ordered with extra spicy
...as a bouncer, I'd like to save myself the pepper spray
...generally wants to be the hottest guy in the room

"This is Him!" is, as the exclamation mark says, one of those few scents that I would be irritated to smell on a woman. To me it seems very masculine. However, if I meet a lady who can rock it authentically, then I take off my hat figuratively and want to get to know her better, because she must be a very interesting person with a lot of self-confidence!
Greetings go out to this lady and you all Adrian
Peppered vanilla immersion geese
The This is Him & This is Her collections enjoy greater recognition in the fragrance world. Zadig & Voltaire, a rather expensive fashion brand from Paris, already has a certain charm, and the flacons are also fashionably 1A designed with elegant lightness.
This This is Him! I know for a few years already and I have tested it a few times. The spark never really jumped over that I wanted to have this one. Recently I bought a small 30ml bottle at 30% discount. With this discount it would have been a nice addition to my collection, I probably wouldn't have bought it for the regular price. Especially since I already have a fragrance with Acqua di Hamburg - Hafen, which has exactly the same notes and comes very close to it
The bottle is really cool. Casual black with white writing. Extremely modern and also with a broken look at the edge.
The description of the fragrance is quite short. You can also get the given notes in a less complex way. Vanilla with pepper is the best to smell out. Especially the start is peppery, paired with vanilla, which can be perceived throughout the whole process. In addition a slightly smoky incense note, which gives this fragrance a lot of elegance. Also the soft sandalwood note is very present, not only in the base. A lot of progression is not perceptible here anyway.
The performance is quite good. Sillage over close up over many hours and the durability is also ok.

For me in the whole no fragrance that knocks me off my feet and is mega-exclusive. Instead you get a fragrance that is always wearable in everyday life and never too heavy. An evergreen for leisure time on not too hot days. For normal everyday situations it will never be too much and will certainly accompany you well and solidly. This peppery vanilla with lots of wood will certainly not scare anyone away.

On the whole for me a great fragrance where you can access especially at offers
Swagger91
Underrated with a certain uniqueness
My father had bought the fragrance on recommendation and at first found it generic, too dark and unexciting. Then with time a certain bond developed between the fragrance and me:D

Now for the scent. The fragrance starts with a certain dark, smoky or earthy vanilla. With time, the fragrance then develops in the woody direction. Durability and sillage is quite good and you can't complain. The scent is still easily noticeable after 6-8 hours and does not develop strongly. Which is not so bad with these scents, if you like the opening!

I don't find it too generic either, because I haven't been able to smell that earthy vanilla yet, and I'm positively surprised, especially with a designer. The bottle comes in black with white writing and because of the flattened side I even think that the bottle reflects the fragrance well! Because This is Him also gives a nasty edge:D

In any case, check it out once;) Feel the scent even as unisex so that even a woman try it! Well done Zadig & Voltaire
Bleudeheiko
Everyone deserves a second chance...
With this scent and me it started quite strange...

Became attentive by the good reviews in the Internet I let myself be carried away by a discount action to a Blindbuy.

While the package was on its way, I had the opportunity to test the perfume in a local drugstore.

So I sprayed the scent on a test strip and slowly led it to my nose.
My first impression was really scary! The scent had a really biting effect on me, almost like a cleaning agent I quickly put the bottle back on the shelf and pulled the test strips from there.
I had the hope that the scent might still change into the positive.
I smelled the test strip several times over the next few hours but just couldn't get a liking for it.

The package, which arrived the following days with me including the fragrance, was returned accordingly.

A few days later I received another perfume delivery, which as usual was accompanied by smaller testers.
And how could it be otherwise?
One of the testers was This is him!

On a Saturday when I didn't have much to do, I gathered my courage and sprayed myself 3x This is him! drauf.

In the first second my impression I had gained in the drugstore was confirmed again.

But already after a few minutes the scent changed as well as my opinion about it.

Suddenly I smelled out of the perfume notes of vanilla, fruity accents and a very pleasant smoky note, which had been so unbearable for me before. The more time I took for the fragrance, the more I liked it. The DNA of the fragrance is hard to describe and just as hard to compare with another. I also perceive it on myself for a very long time. You just have to test the scent yourself with a little time
The next few days after that I emptied the tester and This is him! and I became friends.
I consider the durability to be good so far, at the beginning very present and after a few hours the smoky note remains primarily close to me.

I have also worn the fragrance well in the office without scaring anyone away. Of course it's all a question of dosage
The bottle is kept simple but makes a high-quality impression. One side of the flacon is deliberately slightly sloped and deliberately structured. This contributes to the good feel and impression. As does the weight and the well-functioning spray head Since the fragrance is usually not so expensive, the price / performance should also be emphasized here.
In the meantime I have ordered the fragrance in a bottle with shower gel and I am still satisfied with the decision. I have also ordered the matching summer scent (This is Love!), which is based on the same DNA, as a bottling and I am just as pleased with it. This will then also be allowed to move in as a flacon with me

With that in mind, give This is him! a chance.
Volker1964
Noble and very valuable fragrance
I ordered this scent on the Internet.
Delivered was 100ml EdT + 2x 75ml shower gel in a metal box. Not bad. The smell is very pleasant. It's subtly peppery. Incense and wood are much more present. Elegant and noble. I like him a lot. This scent is often compared with Spicebomb Extreme on the Internet. I can only see that to a certain extent. Spicebomb Extreme is a real spice bomb. This is Him is rather subtle and not so spicy in comparison. However, it has a shorter shelf life compared to Spicebomb Extreme. The smell lasts a good 6 hours with me. I'm still satisfied with this fragrance
With kind regards

The best scent for a 30’s guy with a leather jacket
Picked up as a random nighttime/winter scent. Well its much more than that. A bit spicy, a bit woody, a bit sweet, a bit dark, but not the old-man’s dark, much more like a bad guy in black farmer/shirt/leather jacket.

The greatness of the scent shows up in its versatility. When is warm, its much more a woody-spicy one with a bit elegance, but when its cold, its a bit more sweet. The projection is moderate; so its useable in office. The compliment factor is really-really high, and its described as a “really masculine, sexy scent”
Under the radar
- or better said: The most undervalued fragrance of the year!

I didn't know either the brand or the scent. So at this point a big thank you to Parfumo, thanks to whom I came across this wonderful site with high dependency potential after a long rummage.

This is Him sounded very promising after all the comments and statements and I was eager to experience the fragrance live, which was on my to-do list the next time I visited my favourite perfumery. After I had dealt long and hard with niche fragrances from Ford and Le Labo, Zadig and Voltaire were admittedly not quite on my radar because of the price range. If you have learned to love fragrances for 300 Euro and up, a fragrance for 'only' 70 Euro can hardly convince anymore. And that should not be meant arrogantly or snobbish at this point, on the contrary, who doesn't like to save money - but if you have been a guest at Le Meridien or Kempenski a few times, indulged in luxury extensively and have been pampered there, you don't necessarily have a youth hostel on your screen for your next trip
- which could turn out to be a mistake, though: He who dares wins.

So last week I went to the perfumery of my choice. Actually with the intention to test the Schönling from Ford, I asked for Zadig and Voltaire. The lady looked at me sceptically and replied to my question how well the scent held, only: "Well, if you love scents from Tom Ford, this one will hardly convince you in terms of durability". Still, I insisted on testing the scent and she sprayed something on a test strip. I didn't even have the strip in my hand when the first load of grapefruit pepper melange took me by surprise. I was completely flashed, but also unsettled by the seller's comment regarding shelf life and therefore hesitant. I constantly sniffed at the test strip, the mixture of bitter grapefruit and hot pepper inspired me immensely, but if this pleasure were only of short duration, it would probably be the knockout criterion for this fragrance. If I hate anything, it's the ephemerality of scents.
I tested some other scents, but my nose still landed on the test strip of This is Him over and over again.

After a long debate I decided to buy the half-blind bottle and took This is Him with me in a 100 ml bottle. Since I belong to the regular customers in this perfumery, on a certain day of the week there is always 10 - 20 % on all scents, in this case it was 20 % and since I live in Switzerland, there is no VAT for me, in short: with a good 40 Euro for 100 ml of scent you can probably not do very much wrong, even a faulty purchase would still be to cope with here
However, Zadig & Voltaire's This is Him still proved to be this. On the contrary.

The next day I used the fragrance for the first time. And again there was this flash: A true bomb of grapefruit and pepper thunders into your nose when you apply the fragrance freshly. Neither grapefruit nor pepper in any form is intrusive or even annoying, but rather pleasant and distinctly natural smelling for such a favourable fragrance.

Yes, tart grapefruit and spicy pepper are a slap in the face at first, but in this case I would also be happy to hold out my second cheek.

After a short time, the strong, loud, popping opening becomes wicked, mysterious and mysterious: incense in its most pleasant form and smooth vanilla begin to support pepper and grapefruit in the ensemble. This is not an attempt to carry out a battle of the giants, but rather, as in an orchestra, the individual components complement each other to form a bitter, sharp, smoky and sweet fragrance experience of a special kind.

The fragrance is incredibly exciting and appealing, radiating an unlikely elegance coupled with a certain wickedness. He is noble, supple and calm in one and daredevil, erotic and wicked in the next moment.

For me, however, the drydown is the highlight of this fragrance, the endless Grand Finale, the icing on the cake: where grapefruit, pepper, frankincense and vanilla are still very, very present, sandalwood begins to unfold its effect very subtly, initially very cautiously and later more and more clearly. The sandalwood supports all other already existing chords, does not replace them, but accompanies them and gives this fragrance in its long lasting drydown a luxurious and at the same time incredible sexy creaminess.

And that lasts. And holds. And holds. And holds.
When I apply Zadig & Voltaire in the morning before work, he is still very, very clearly perceptible and present even in the evening after a good 9 hours The Sillage is really above average, especially in the beginning and in the heart note, in the drydown it gets weaker, but definitely not only very close.
Durability is not only for a fragrance of this price class, but generally really in the above-average range - on the skin it lasts a good 10 to 12 hours, on the clothes until the next wash of the shirt.

However, the fragrance never becomes intrusive or disturbing, but is like a real gentleman: strong and present, but never greasy or cheeky.
Logically, the fragrance demands a certain posture and self-confidence from its wearer - it is much more suited to a suit wearer or at least to a shirt with a tie than to a casual hoodie with jeans. Also very nice with white shirt and dark leather jacket.

For me, it's really the undervalued fragrance of the year. How a wild little water can be so hyped and perceived on really every other type and how a noble This is Him stays so completely under the radar, is completely undecided to me.

The smell fulfills all criteria, which an above average good, erotic and nevertheless everyday and even office suitable man smell must exhibit with Bravour - and nevertheless it remains undervalued and far away from the Hypes.

Sure, good for us who indulge in this luxurious fragrance and get positive reactions from all sides - but it's a pity that it remains so unknown and under the radar.

In the end, we can only hope that production will not cease or that the fragrance will even be reformulated. It would be a shame about that.

At this point a huge thank you to the previous speakers and to Parfumo for making me aware of this unbelievably grandiose fragrance!

Peace out!

Amazon1975Amazon1975 7 months ago
Blind buy..it smells ok for the few hours it lasts...update....wore it a few more times....still light....but does last a reasonable amount.
DemeteraDemetera 9 months ago
Dark, but not too dark. Woody, but not “old man’s woody”. Great but not too much sillage. Elegant, but able to use everyday. Well balanced.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 13 months ago
It's alluring, balsamic, dark, smoky, santal woody, and with a noticeable vanilla sweetness.
Recommended! No doubts about it. This Is Him!
TruckladyTrucklady 13 months ago
My best kept secret - this works like magic on me. Incense that is unisex and wearer friendly.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 16 months ago
Spicy, Woody, incensed:a true sexy potion contained in an apparently minimal bottle. Perfect on the feminine skin too . Quite good sillage
ElysiumElysium 17 months ago
A beautiful dissonance between smoky incense and creamy vanilla, sexy, smoky, with woody and smooth leather nuances. An oriental woody gem!
Syzygy73Syzygy73 3 years ago
If Interlude is Hemingway, chest puffed out and chewing a cigar, this is F. Scott Fitzgerald sitting quietly and meekly in the background.

by Shivsri13
by SHbaden
by Riceboy
by Riceboy

Popular Zadig & Voltaire

Just Rock! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! by Zadig & Voltaire Just Rock! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Do Anything by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Love! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Love! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Him by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Him! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Say Anything by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Her by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Be Crazy by Zadig & Voltaire