This Is Love! pour Lui 2020

This Is Love! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire
This Is Love! pour Lui is a new perfume by Zadig & Voltaire for men and was released in 2020. The scent is sweet-fruity. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Nathalie Lorson

Bergamot, Orange blossom, Sandalwood

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 12.10.2020.

First Test
It's the first fragrance I've ever smelled from Z&V, so I'm completely unbiased.
The fragrance comes fresh and fruity in the opening. Develops slightly smoky on my skin and evokes memories of Prada Luna rossa black.
I've had it on the back of my hand for about 5 hours now and still notice it. Although only very slightly, but my dry skin has here certainly complicity. I like it after this first test in any case quite well
Tommyxxl
Great start, but a musty finish...
The beginning of this fragrance is very pleasant. The top note is slightly sweet, but still reserved and not obtrusive. The heart note becomes slightly smoky (also very pleasant), which then quickly turns into a musty, musty woody note.

I think it's a real pity that the scent has taken such a course on my skin. Because I believe that if the opening had continued as it started, it would have had a lot of potential in the overall picture.

Conclusion:
The start of the fragrance is really very pleasant, but that's all there is to it. The shelf life and the sillage are ok, but also not particularly. Nevertheless it is a pity, because it starts so great.

Double-edged sword
With my last order, I had a sample of "This is Love!" deliberately wrapped up, because it made a good first impression on me in the perfumery and I wanted to have it confirmed, because it is definitely cheap. Admittedly, I have almost no experience with fragrances from Zadig & Voltaire, so I'm going to evaluate the fragrance very virgin.

My personal wish is an inexpensive, fresh and masculine fragrance for everyday life. This fragrance here does that for about half of its shelf life, which is why "This is Love!" is a double-edged sword for me.

I think the start is terrific, because the mixture of bergamot and orange blossom makes the fragrance really wonderfully fresh, fruity and a bit tart. The first 2 hours I can't keep my nose away from this scent! Wearing this perfume I feel adult, masculine, mature, in the middle of life. As a self-confident man, especially with a suit, who knows what he wants. He looks attractive and sexy, not too sweet and not too bitter. I'm honest, if this scent would stay like this, I would have gotten the bottle right away.

Regarding sillage and durability I cannot agree with the current rating of about 7. For testing purposes I had spread 4 scents on my arms (Yes I know, sounds crazy, but you know this one...). On the back of my left hand I had the Eau de Toilette by Issey Miyake "L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme", on my right hand "This is Love!", on my right forearm I had the EDP "Sauvage" by Dior and currently I was wearing "Spicebomb" by Viktor&Rolf. So I had a really good comparison between the different scents all day long. To my absolute surprise "This is Love!" apparently projects a gigantic sillage on my skin, which is still clearly perceptible after several hours. Again and again I caught myself thinking about what produces this incredible wood note that overshadows all the other scents.

This is then the second side of the sword, as the fragrance, after a grandiose opening with hourly growth, turns into a mixture of musty-orange horticultural market full of wooden planks. I have read several times that many people find this scent "stinky" after a while and I can guess why. I don't think it stinks, but if you, like me, are excited about the start and have got used to it with your nose, you will be almost disgusted by the course of the drydown, because nothing is fresh anymore. The sandalwood displaces the bergamot and encloses the orange and stands in front of it like a bodyguard, I can't describe it any other way. I think that's a real pity, because the fragrance has enormous potential. Maybe another fragrance from Zadig & Voltaire can get me around the bend. This one is "always trying" but in the end not my cup of tea ;)

This Is Love! For Him
• ZADIG & VOLTAIRE THIS IS LOVE! FOR HIM •

Have you tried any of the Zadig & Voltaire fragrances yet? For me the new release, This Is Love! For Him (or Pour Lui), was a pleasant first experience.
There are only three notes listed for this fragrance, and that's mostly what you get: sandalwood, orange blossom and bergamot. The opening was a big surprise; it's beautiful, soft and smooth. It's balsamic, there's a bit of creaminess from the sandalwood, but plenty of fruitiness. There seems to be a hint of incense smokiness hidden in This Is Love! as well. Call me crazy, but in my admittedly limited experience, the first minutes feel a bit like this could be a designer Amouage.

Unfortunately, that gorgeous opening doesn't last long. Within minutes, the fresh fruitiness fades. What's left is a, still pleasant, straigthforward sandalwood scent. It's not straight woody, I seem to be detecting some florals. A bit of vanilla sweetness does come through as well, but it's not overly sweet at all. From what I've read, they removed a large part of the vanilla that was in the original Zadig & Voltaire This Is Him!. I never smelled that fragrance, but without getting my nose on it, I can safely say that lowering the sweetness was a good move. This remains playful, a bit youthful and it projects quite loudly for a while, but it doesn't scream 'date night' or 'teen' fragrance. I think it would work really well for that demographic, but it's quite versatile. If this kept the fruitiness from the opening longer, this would've be one of the best designer fragrances I tried in a while. For now, it's still a solid and likeable release •

Pleasant time elapsed
Zadig & Voltaire answers Haddaway's decades-old question clearly and strongly - "This Is Love!" is the latest fragrance from the always somewhat conservative and youthful brand, which this time comes across as much more playful and colourful than usual, and immediately caught my eye on the shelf. And for that I am very grateful.

"This Is Love!" could come straight out of the 90s, is an almost classic fruity sandalwood reveler that combines orange blossom with the creaminess of this special, slightly oriental wood. Loose, fluffy, light. Cute, but reserved. A "Joop Homme Freestyle" could have easily gone in this direction 25 years ago. Young, naive, slim, almost childlike and already bubblegum - but by far not as sugary, chemical, pungent and synthetic as many of today's new releases in the male sector. Simple, easy, effective. A great daytime companion for leisure, for light sports activities, for spring, summer and autumn. Accessible, but not characterless. Slightly trashy (what from the 90s isn't that?!), but loaded with a sympathy and nostalgia and a fun factor, which brings a smile to my face, which itself felt always has a mischievous one on its lips. Crisp, clear, structured. No mud tried and bred to death. Like a hit shaken out of Mrs Lorson's sleeve. Maybe not a bull's-eye. But closer than 90% of the other current releases.

Flacon: attractive, pretty, playful. Excellent color gradient. Stabbed me in the eye and I like it, matching the scent, really good.
Sillage: not discreet, not bombastic, the successful middle. This also matches the scent again.
Durability: with 5-7 hours you can already start something good.

Conclusion: a fragrance - uncomplicated and friendly, colourful and yet stylish enough, delicious but never too sticky - as it is actually no longer made. Pleasing and for me probably the most successful of the series

Jazzy76Jazzy76 8 months ago
Warm and sweet, perfect in the mid-cold season, quite good but not so special and very "mainstream".A Young scent.Average sillage,high price
HugoMontezHugoMontez 9 months ago
If you love the original and need a little freshness, pick this one. Same DNA with some orange blossom. Great!

by GewoonBB
by GewoonBB
by AshP
by AshP

Popular Zadig & Voltaire

Just Rock! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Him! by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! by Zadig & Voltaire Just Rock! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Her! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Do Anything by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Love! pour Elle by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Him by Zadig & Voltaire This Is Him! No Rules by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Say Anything by Zadig & Voltaire Girls Can Be Crazy by Zadig & Voltaire Tome 1 - La Pureté for Her by Zadig & Voltaire