Scent#1 2018

Scent#1 by Zara
Scent#1 is a popular perfume by Zara for men and was released in 2018. The scent is woody-leathery. It is still in production.

Cardamom, Leather, Violet

Submitted by Elysium, last update on 18.09.2019.

Stylish and quiet pedal
So there he was. The moment I bought my first fragrance from Zara. It was a hot, sultry day at 32 degrees Celsius in the Börsenstraße, Frankfurt am Main. Not necessarily the best conditions for a dry fragrance containing woods and leather.

I didn't know what to expect. How can a fragrance convince with a price of 10€/100ml? How much synthetics is in it?

Scent#1 starts greenish and woody. After the first hour a very stylish leathery musk appears, which lasts for about 5-6 hours. The Sillage remains unchanged. He is and remains very close, which in my eyes brings him ideally into the race for an autumn scent for initially cold office days. Synthetics? Maybe a little. What predominates here is a beautiful, dry cardamom leather scent with light woods. Hence the similarity to the sandalwood model Santal33.

The bottle is simple but still beautiful and is perfect for autumn due to its colour scheme.

So what remains of my expectation? Zara can offer inexpensive, high-quality fragrances in plain flacons! The shelf life is fine with 7-8 hours and the Sillage can be formed according to desire by after-spraying. With this price one sprays gladly after, because Scent#1 is a well-being smell.

Elegant Woods
Scentrack:
Waters – Trying Hard To Look Inside

Beside perfumery, hiking is another obsession of mine. While hiking I finally get a chance to leave my usual daily routines behind. All my worries are transported somewhere else, and I am concentrating solely on rocky trails, cold wind on my face and majestic nature around me. Special moments when I feel how small I am compared to this grandiose organism. Simple and dangerous in all its beauty and diversity. Special moments when I have the opportunity to know myself better as well. To look inside my soul squeezed by business and other social demands.
The beautiful characteristic of all woodsy scents, including Zara Scent No. 1, is an ability to instantly transport me to these introspective moments of being somewhere in the mountains. It could be just some kind of primordial reflexes to go back to the roots, after being exposed to urban insanity. My personal vaccination against the modern world. Scent No. 1 is a classic dry woodsy scent. It burst from woodiness, but in a very elegant manner. It opens with a strong cedar note accompanied by nice soft leather accord. The important perfumer’s trick was to introduce a soft and vivid violet note to give another dimension to this darker woodsy leather combo. The clean cedar note is, to my nose, deepen with a Guaiac wood to give a slight smoky touch to the overall composition. The whole scent is dry with some pale powdery aspects. Although, Scent No. 1 is promoted as a sandalwood-based composition I do not feel the usual sandalwood characteristics. In the fragrance community this composition is often compared to Le Labo’s Santal 33, but unfortunately I have not tried Santal 33 thus cannot make a comparison. Knowing Zara’s constant effort to release niche brand knockoffs I believe there might be some similarities. To me Scent No.1 seems to have some sharing vibes with Comme des Garcon Wonderwood, Canali Style and very similar to Zara Tiveden. The performance of Scent No. 1 is average. Longevity is average, but sillage is very soft. I do not to be overly harsh to this composition due to its absolute bargain price. For around 11€ Euros Zara delivers a very nicely constructed and elegant scent. In fact, to this date I consider it, in my opinion, as the best scent released by Zara. I would gladly pay three times more for a similar scent with deeper aspects and better performance.
Overall, Scent No. 1 is a solid release from the house of Zara. For a very modest price, one could have an elegant woodsy scent for an escape from urban.

Soft and Woody With a Cue of Wet Paper
As already seen with Adventus Creed dupes, ZARA did it again with Santal LeLabo and released a brand new scent named Scent#1 that is uncannily similar to Tiveden. It’s a gorgeous scent, not “pervasive” which is a word I like coming to mind with a personal fragrance. It is a bit masculine. It is feminine. It is smoky. It is woody. It is leathery. It is creamy. It is shape-shifting in my nostrils. It is elegant but edgy. It is sophisticated but down-to-earth. It is love, pure love. Starts very fresh, then does this glorious move into the sweetest, most divine creamy wood fragrance ever. The combination of the sandalwood, cedar, and violet is inspired! I don't think I've ever sampled anything from Le Labo before, but this is really, really nice. And lasts!

The smell... Describing scents in words is a really hard text, especially when a scent is as complicated as this one. I'm a big fan of Sandalwood based scents, but the trick here is the floral accord. When you wear this, you get occasional whiffs of the florals and that grape note from the iris that keeps this composition interesting. For one thing, I find this to be a predominantly leather-focused scent, with salty, green cucumbers or better pickles quality that is almost aquatic. It opens with a powerful blast of green cardamom, with its pungent yet elusive flavor, resinous and dark with hints of eucalyptus, sea salt, leather, and that aqueous herbal element. Perhaps, there is a tad of tarragon or drill in the headnotes, not listed on the official site.

What makes a fragrance intriguing is when it evokes a specific time, a certain place or a particular material while remaining elusively vague. Scent#1 is intensely masculine... full of raw, oily leather and balsam, it makes me think of a lifestyle concept store – one of those deep-toned, white empty studio spaces where they place a tangle of parched white driftwood in one corner and a long leather couch in the other. Close your eyes, breath, and let your mind go in there...

Much later on, in the far drydown, there is the aroma of the raw and brusquely woods, and it is only then I see the reference to sandalwood. But, in general, this is dry and woody-leathery, not lactonic or sweet. The more I sniff it the more I get the astonishing smell of genuine leather exuding from a brand new handmade coat, belt, or pair of shoes.
It reminds me of books, too. In particular in the raw, harsh chemical breeze of salt, which ultimately comes off as a combination of freshly-tanned leather and newly-printed paper.
Scent#1 is an experimental mixture that is leathery, with some bright woodiness mixed with muskiness. Longevity and sillage are enormous. I've been wearing it since 8.00am, and after almost 7 hours it is still alive and kicking, and I do love it!

Ultimately, the smell lies on the masculine side and can be worn well in the fall. It's a warm, woodlike smell that I found surprisingly identical to the way the forest smells after it rains. It captures the smell of damp earth, ferns, creek water, cedar, and wet leather. Woodsy like the aroma of the freshly-cut wood you get in a sawmill or lumber mill, where logs are cut into lumber... Ever been to a lumber yard? It's that scent. Wonderful woods being cut. It's terrific and quite wearable. I love the trail the fragrance leaves behind in an elevator, on my clothes or even in a room. It's memorable and immediately bonds you to the person who knowingly asks if you are wearing Santal... Oops, Scent#1!

-Elysium

CatarinaCatarina 17 months ago
An unisex cardamom bomb in a minimal flask. It's just another inexpensive jewel from Zara.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 23 months ago
Similar to Santal 33. Not quite as good as Tiveden. That one is more robust, more woody... This one has more Cardamom
ElysiumElysium 23 months ago
Sophisticated and a little smoky, but not in a burning sense, creamy, leathery, it's yet another exceptional fragrance from the house ZARA.
Syzygy73Syzygy73 24 months ago
Dry, creamy sandalwood on an animalic leather base. Not quite Le Labo Santal 33, but not far off. A must have given the price.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 24 months ago
A pleasant Le Labo Santal 33 look alike, and similar to Zara Tiveden. Excelent smoky, earthy, leather and woody notes for Spring and Autumn.

by ErhanSaceros
by ErhanSaceros

Popular Zara

Zara Emotions N°01 - Vetiver Pamplemousse by Zara Vibrant Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Zara 9.0 by Zara Exclusive Oud by Zara #Tobacco Collection - Rich/Warm/Addictive by Zara Vibrant Leather (Eau de Toilette) by Zara Tone - Indéterminée by Zara Sublime Cedar by Zara #Midsummer Orange Zest by Zara Gourmand Leather N° 0059 by Zara Teahupoo by Zara From Paris to New York by Zara Y Collection by Zara Vibrant Leather Cologne by Zara Rich Leather N° 1555 by Zara 8.0 by Zara #Tobacco Collection - Unexpected Fresh Spicy by Zara Zara Woman Oriental by Zara Vibrant Leather Summer by Zara Noble Palo Santo by Zara