Vibrant Wood (2019)

Vibrant Wood by Zara

Vibrant Wood is a new perfume by Zara for men and was released in 2019. The scent is floral-spicy. It is still in production.

Marine Ipert

Baihao Yinzhen tea, Cardamom, Iris, Cedar, Leather

Submitted by Mih, last update on 28.12.2019.

10.0 6.0 7.0 10.0/10

Elysium
Hooray! What a stunning iris interpretation
After listening to a few YouTuber reviews I decided to give it a try. I had to strive for finding it since it was not on the shelves, though it was recorded as 6 pieces available in store, and the clerk had to pick it from the back store. There was no tester, I was in a hurry, and so I blindly bought it anyway. You know, the Vibrant collection never let me down, the Leather, the Oud, the Cologne, so I chose to take the risk.
I was feeling the need to sniff it after I read the description on the box, white tea, cardamom, iris wood, and leather, so I gave in and opened the package. I was really curious about what the scent would be... After pressing the sprayer, I was a bit skeptical because the essence was not that impressive. Once I felt the cilantro, with a fragrant, citrusy flavor, I was amazed. Again, the YouTuber compared this one with YSL la Nuit de l'Homme, but to me, this is more related to CD Homme Eau for men.

Vibrant Wood opens with the smell of grass and dry hay. The powdery iris is lingering in the background from the very beginning and I could catch it, a powdery and talcy iris with no makeup or lipstick nuances. In a while, a sparkling and citrus note akin to freshly-cut cilantro, the green leaves, and stalks of the Coriandrum sativum plant, unfurls. Coriander, or better cilantro cause they are from the same plant yet they smell apart, is what sets the Vibrant Wood opening apart, there is that slightly spicy and earthy herbal note, which feels as if it is sitting atop the cedarwood. Cilantro is an herb with a fragrant, citrusy flavor. Many people enjoy its refreshing taste and aroma, but others can’t stand it. Interestingly, people that find cilantro repulsive tend to have a genetic trait that makes them perceive cilantro as “foul” or “soapy”
But it was only when I came home that I got aware of the white tea presence. Silver Needle or Bai Hao Yin Zhen is one of the most revered of Chinese teas. Gathered only for a few days in early spring, the dedication to perfection is evident in the feeble aroma. The lingering fragrance of Silver Needle is delicately honeysuckle floral, with a subtle hint of white grapes and dry hay. The smell is like no other tea, as it carried my memory back to childhood and the scent of fleshly bailed hay in a hot, humid barn. What I smelled was so outrageously good that for the next two hours I stuck it to my wrist like a magnet. For me, this fragrance has the best opening I have ever smelled in a perfume. The tea in combination with the coriander and the undertoned iris is simply stunning.

This remains, however, only around the 10 minutes so. Though, the scent will not be bad afterward in any case, but only different. The iris begins to come more to the fore and combines well with the woody notes, but the freshness of the citrus opening remains present and gives it an ingenious freshness. The delicate powder of iris continues to be at the core of Vibrant Wood, however, instead of being painted in suede-like hues of sepia, the note here is less full-bodied, less reminiscent of makeup powder and much colder. This is an urban iris that appears in shades of steely blue and evokes the image of a suited and booted gent with a more serious and less emotionally charged personality. What does remain is the feminine edge that the iris provides and it very much still delivers that daring moment where the lines between the male and the female blur to make way for an androgynous accord that is thoroughly modern. Its extraordinarily strong, almost pervasive fragrance of powdery accords reveals its woody green tones, bringing to mind the reassuring aroma of warm bread.

The dry down is woody, and the smoky cedar blended with the floral iris creates a sort of violet vibe, aquatic, fresh, but not marine. It is, therefore, a slightly powdery woody fragrance with fresh undertones.
Projection wise, Vibrant Wood is pretty moderate. It’s a solid performer in this regard but never felt overbearing to me. The longevity is also good. I get 6-8 hours of solid wear and maybe some more as a skin scent. It is a versatile spring/autumn wear, the leathery and woody nuances fit flawlessly in those seasons. Its bright freshness is a nice change of pace during the warmer months of the year. Yet, it keeps the woodiness of the cedar, that gives off that masculine aura. I could honestly see myself wearing this during any occasion from casual to more formal, wearing it at work is spot on! Plus, it’s attractive enough for a date evening. My congrats to Marine Ipert, I love it.

Side note: For all those who are not "so in to" Fragrances, this may be unattractive because the Iris note can be a little bit too feminine and powdery. That said, I would like to recommend Vibrant Wood because it's a concoction that mixes very well the iris with a much more mainstream woody and semi-fresh and aquatic accord. Think of it as the mix of AF - Fierce with Dior Homme. Resulting in a scent that is very easy to like and that at the same time gives you some distinction due to the use of Iris. So, if you are one of those who used Fierce throughout their teen years, or is fond of Dior Homme, I think Vibrant Wood may be the way to "mature" journey.

-Elysium

8.0 7.0 8.0 9.5/10

Gourmet
Dior Homme Intense dupe with weaker sillage (great value for money)
My headline says everything ;).

Since the DHI is ZU strong for most scenarios, this fragrance is even a great enrichment.

It remains: Zara has some great Düpft at very reasonable prices.

Elysium 59 days ago
Spicy white tea with a deep, green, heavy wood notes endorsed by lighter citrus tones, a powdery orris heart, and a velvety leather finish.+1
10.0
6.0
10.0

by Pistazieneis
by Pistazieneis

Popular Zara

#Tobacco Collection - Rich/Warm/Addictive by Zara Vibrant Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Zara 9.0 by Zara Gourmand Leather N° 0059 by Zara Exclusive Oud by Zara #Tobacco Collection - Intense/Dark/Exclusive by Zara Vibrant Leather (Eau de Toilette) by Zara Rich Leather N° 1555 by Zara 8.0 by Zara Zara Man Gold by Zara Zara Woman Oriental by Zara #Midsummer Orange Zest by Zara Lisboa by Zara Tone - Indéterminée by Zara W/End Till 3:00 AM by Zara Y Collection by Zara Seoul by Zara Teahupoo by Zara Aromatic - Future by Zara Ganache Tonka by Zara