Chameleon 2019

Chameleon by Zoologist
Chameleon is a popular perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is floral-fruity. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Daniel Pescio

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Lemon, Madagascan ylang-ylang, Mango, Pink pepper, Starfruit, Violet leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesCashmeran, Clove, Coconut, Frangipani, Jasmine, Saffron, Sensual skin accord, Sea breeze
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Woods, Musk, Opoponax, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 15.06.2021.

Camouflage is everything
So where do I begin with this fragrance...
He surprised me and at the same time a little disappointed, but I think the main property of a Chameleon is to fascinate. And I guess he has that. I tested the fragrance several times to make sure what I was smelling.

You're almost hit right at the beginning by a colorful mix of sour citrus, sweet fruits and florals.... but it is very difficult to define which notes it is. I smell a very strong frangipani jasmine blend right after this opening also here I can't differentiate the rest of the fragrance notes, remotely maybe coconut. I like this part of the scent. I can't connect it to a chameleon though. But maybe that's because I've never smelled one before. ;)
The closest thing I can associate with the little animal, however, is the base. I smell something sandy... warm and woody.
But the main reason (why I also tested the scent several times) is that the base melts 1:1 with the skin, it's not that I don't smell anything anymore. But it's like the scent has crawled into my subcutis and bonded with it. Just the way a chameleon would camouflage itself in its natural environment. This scent is as soft as clouds, as intangible as sunlight and has a very attractive effect on me without really being there. Like invisible ink, as if it's under a camouflage cloak. I've never had something similar in a fragrance before and it intrigued me.

Which is why, again, I have to say "kudos" the makers of this series are really putting their money where their mouth is. For me, this shows the greatest kind of perfume art.
Shimmer temperature
Now there is a detour to the tropical house of zoologist - with "Chameleon", a still quite fresh fragrance in their repertoire, the only one in the sample collection that stands out with its reflective silver design. Does this go with the fragrance? Or does it always hold its flag safely in the wind?

In my opinion, "Chameleon" departs somewhat from the brand's concept of always incorporating some of the animals that give the title into the fragrance. At least I associate almost zero with this creamy floral flatterer the animal Chameleon or its environment. Even the behaviour of the camouflage only roughly. Because "Chameleon" is a rather straightforward fruit-flower-vanilla shake, which is first a bit feminine charged, but then quickly becomes wearable for everyone at any time.

The coconut gives the whole thing a minimal texture and grip without exuding its typical fragrance. I like that a lot. Ylang-ylang is the skinot component, but a bit more creamy and fluffy than most. The jasmine sweats a lot against it. An opponax vanilla base gives it even more cuddly. "Chameleon" reminds of a mixture of "L'Humaniste" and "Terracotta Le Parfum". Only with that certain shine and shimmer, which is infused with enormous high quality, friendliness and a smart wink. A changeling full of life and... and... Adaptability. Now I see it. And after 20 minutes at the latest, a full pot of unisex. At least for most people who have been around perfumo for a long time. A white-flower softener with devotion and refinement
Flacon: shiny and enchanting
Sillage: one worthy of the signature. Timid. But never weak Durability: Day ticket for the reptile house - 8-12 hours.

Conclusion: a reliable chameleon that always shines with the right colour and pattern. Creamy, fluffy, delicious. The most unnerving coconut ever. I could easily get into a tropical house!

Tropical summer garden
Chameleon innfor me lovely. It has three different parts: one tropical with coconut, frangipani and mango; one floral with the ylang ylang and the Jasmine; and one aquatic, which gives some freshness to the fragance and make It suitable for warm weather. The opening is like a soapy mango very nice an different. The back is a mix of resins, Woods, musk and a delicate vanilla.
The performance is good, with a moderate yo good longevity (6 hours) and a moderate yo soft sillage. Unisex and perfect for daytime use.

Scent: 9
Longevity: 7.5
Sillage: 6
Quality/price: 6
Versatility: 9
Originality: 9
Global: 9

Creamy floral coconut
This evolves beautifully on the skin and remains gorgeous all the way through. Very tropical, but without going full suntan lotion. Reminiscent of Carnal Flower for its deft combination of green, floral, and creamy notes. Personally, I slightly prefer this for its more scenic, winding road to the same secluded beach. A bit too feminine for me, but would love my wife to try it.
Chaos and complexity
To describe Chameleon as a fragrance is surprisingly difficult for me.
It's a bit like describing a colorful picture. None with motive. Rather such a color confusion, meant in the most positive sense.

Chameleon has a massive start and already there it is extremely rich in contrast. Fresh, not to be confused with aquatic or sporty fresh. Rather like wind blowing through flowers and bushes.
Fruity in its bittersweetest form. Not gourmandig but nevertheless tasty coco hide themselves (I usually do not like coco at all!!) and (I think it is) star fruit between all sorts of flowers and grasses to flash through but again and again - as if blown by the wind.

In the second act, so to speak, which appears no less rich in contrast, it becomes spicy-spicy. But here comes the first great difficulty in describing the fragrance.
The second act begins, but the first is not over. It continues to run in the background. As if each essence builds on the other and through the 3 acts only the whole fragrance in its roundness unfolds, no would have formed.
One smells pepper, which already appears almost smooth, cloves and something mineral, which reminds actually in places of sea (esbrise). And above all and below all comes again the wind, which whirls in the first act.
Finally, in the third act, it becomes animalistic, which actually fascinates me the most, because for me this stands in the greatest contrast to the scent experience described so far (yes, one can confidently call it such).
This animal note gives this otherwise so playful scent a seriousness that makes it even more special and complete for me.

Coconut remains on my skin throughout the entire course of the scent, which I mention again and again because I can't stand coconut, as I said before. I cannot say why I do not find this disturbing, stupid or unpleasant.

Chameleon is a true cocktail of fragrances and components.
A somehow playful and yet thoroughly adult fragrance that manages to unite chaos and complexity into a whole.

Ohso: i perceive Chameleon as consistently unisex.
Cute little animal
Uncommented fragrances No. 134

Zoologist always implements the shape and the superior idea of a certain animal with his scents. When I first noticed this years ago, I found the concept - to put it mildly - irritating, as did the comic-style labels. After the first tests, however, it quickly became clear that the brand is really innovative and that I currently consider it one of the most important avant-garde representatives on the fragrance market, especially because all fragrances are wearable and do not get stuck in the artificial. Meanwhile my favorite fragrance is Bat (beware, it's extreme), but also Elephant, Panda, Rhinoceros, Beaver and many others explore the possibilities of fragrance far and with courage to risk. Of the two new releases, I like Dodo slightly better, but with Chameleon I was particularly curious about how the idea of colour change would be translated into fragrance.

It seems to me that there are two possible approaches, both of which have been combined in this fragrance:
In the course of its development, a fragrance can (1. ) change to such an extent that the top note, heart note and base note are clearly distinguishable from each other. This is not spectacular in itself, as most classic chypre fragrances open with a citric note (mostly bergamot), develop more floral in the heart than in the beginning (mostly rose and jasmine) and have a mossy base note. In the present case, a development of the fragrance is discernible (from citric light notes to fruity to floral and to a gourmand coconut-musk note), but what is actually spectacular about Chameleon, in my view, is rather the iridescent, colourful shine of the fragrance, which is present from the beginning (2 ).
So I can perceive the white blossom notes (especially jasmine, but also ylang) from the beginning, quasi at the moment of spraying, when it still mixes with the silvery bergamot tones; a minute later one can already perceive spicy, calone-synthetic, woody and exotic-fruity notes. It's completely chaotic, but still so charming, original and at the same time harmonious that I'm not the only one who seems to like it so much. The fragrance is rounded off by vanilla-sweet accents and the already mentioned, clearly perceptible coconut note, which likewise does not appear only in the base, but already at the beginning. This scent shines and glitters like the shimmering dandruff skin of a chameleon that changes colour again and again. I'm reasonably impressed. Once again Zoologist has succeeded in convincingly implementing the idea of an animal as a concept scent. And this is always very wearable, even if it will certainly require a lot of courage on the part of men

StaticStatic 2 months ago
Summer vacation in Morocco! Terracotta floor tiles, wilderness...i love it!!
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 1 year ago
I LOVE the scent. Tropical coconut and mango, with elegante ylang and Jasmine and sweet vanilla and amber with a fresh vibe for summer...

by Dovlicaaa
by Stere
by Emorandeira
by Emorandeira

Popular Zoologist

Bee by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Dragonfly (2017) by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Musk Deer by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Macaque (2016) by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Dodo (2019) by Zoologist Bat (2020) by Zoologist