Civet 2016

Civet by Zoologist
Civet is a popular perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-resinous. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Black pepper, Lemon, Orange, Spices, Tarragon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Frangipani, Heliotrope, Hyacinth, Linden blossom, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesBalsam, Civet, Coffee, Frankincense, Labdanum, Musk, Oakmoss, Resins, Russian leather, Vanilla, Vetiver, Woods

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 12.06.2021.

The scent was originally labeled as Eau de Parfum. In 2017, it was reclassified to Extrait de Parfum in accordance with the actual perfume oil concentration of 25%.

Male attraction
Today I have left the informal behind.
Today I'm going to take out my mysterious self. Today I am going to show my most animal side hidden in a perfume.
Today I am going to come out of my hiding place like a civet, when night falls, in the middle of a forest of orange trees and narcotic flowers, surrounded by vanilla baias and the aroma of coffee, stepping on a damp mossy ground and smelling the woods.
Today I'm going to go out and mark my territory.
Anarlan
Kopi Luwak and an old acquaintance
As soon as a fragrance is named after an - admittedly nowadays synthetically produced - animal scent component, in the case of civet you can actually already be sure of several misunderstandings and the resulting typical reactions ("Eww!", "Uäähh!", "Bäh!"): Namely, that the scent would have something to do with cats and/or cat urine smell. The misunderstanding is partly based on the assumption that civets are real cats. But they are nocturnal mammals, which are found in several subspecies from Southern Europe over Africa to Asia and have very little to do with the cats we know. From a distance and in the dark they may look a bit like cats when creeping around, which is why they are also called "sneak cats".

That civet as a fragrance building block has come under suspicion to smell like cat pee, has its cause possibly in the fact that the substance was formerly obtained from the strongly greasy and malodorous secretion of the anal glands of civets, which has nothing to do with urine, and that, among other things, urinous scents can be perceived in civet-containing perfumes, which is, however, only indirectly related to the civet.

In fact, what is commonly perceived as a urinous odor is not due to the urine itself at all. Fresh urine is relatively odorless, which anyone can determine for themselves by a spirited sniff. Don't be shy! After all, we're among ourselves here and I won't tell anyone. Speaking of which: You know how doctors used to diagnose diabetes mellitus in patients? They would dip their finger in the patient's urine to taste the taste of the urine: sweet equals sugar equals diabetes. Here you go. And now come at me again with "Whoo, the smell here has a horrible pee-pee note, it's making me bloomy!".

How does the typical urine smell in the urine come about then? It is bacterial decomposition products, namely the sharp bitter ammonia, which produce the typical unpleasant pipi smell. Animal scents, and thus also urinous scents (I'm sorry, but one has to call a spade a spade) in perfume can nevertheless - in the right homeopathic dilution - make up the special charm of a scent and give it the necessary touch of sophistication. Without this pinch Untertenrum, neither Kouros, nor Jicky, as a modern representative immediately MAAI comes to mind, possibly ever reached their legendary reputation and quality.

However, these olfactory memories of the fact that we come from the animal world, and with which we apparently in our today's thoroughly disinfected, germ-poor, mask-armed time but somehow difficult to do, are often not to be attributed solely to the used animal ingredients such as civet, musk, amber, Hyraceum, Castoreum and the like. In addition to their own olfactory justification in fragrances, the aforementioned substances also have fixative or other fragrance components with stronger projecting functions. Rather, the odorous "touch of piss" (or other substances, but we don't want to exaggerate today) is also created by the clever combination with floral notes such as carnation, neroli, jasmine and white flowers with their responsible proportions of idol and scatol. Also citrus or herbaceous notes such as sage and lavender can create a urinous fragrance aspect, depending on the context.
I'm sincerely sorry. I didn't mean to ruin your freshly showered floral dreams. And "toilet lemon", you can see how close pee and citrus are sometimes literally together, is here in this forum yes now a fixed part of the Parfumo-speak.

The great Chypres of the past play with their often pronounced animalic notes virtuoso on this keyboard. And "Civet" continues this tradition with a touch of these "old vibes". To understand which story Victor Wong, creative head of Zoologist, together with his perfumer Shelley Waddington tells in Civet, you have to go back to the Indonesian sneaky cat for a moment.

Kopi Luwak is made in Indonesia, among other countries, and is one of the world's most expensive coffees. Originally a literal waste product of colonial coffee cultivation - the laboriously cultivated plantation coffee was reserved exclusively for the colonial powers and their export - the locals resorted to a different method to get their hands on the coveted hot beverage. They collected undigested coffee beans found in the excrement of creeping cats. In the animal's intestines, the coffee cherries are subjected to fermentation by enzymes, which alters the flavor characteristics and gives the coffee an earthy, syrupy, rich aroma with undertones of jungle and chocolate, which I would attest to, unless my memory of the cup of kopi luwak I was once served in Indonesia is deceiving.

"Civet" surprises at one moment with a caramel coffee note when you're not expecting it, but more on that later. Nevertheless, it would not occur to me to call the fragrance a gourmand, for this it lacks the necessary sweetness and the impression of having something edible in front of you. I also lack for the category "animal fragrance" the correspondingly strong aspects.

The fragrance opens with a fair amount of black pepper, a touch of green herbaceousness and citrus notes of tart bergamot, a squeeze of lemon and especially orange.
Close to the heart, things quickly turn unsweetly floral. Garden carnation and a creamy, slightly camphorous old acquaintance framed unkitschy tropically by frangipani and ylang ylang shine in the twilight of the jungle: A gorgeous mellow tuberose with vintage touches.
One suspects slowly, however, that here possibly also nimble predators with claw-armed velvety paws scurry shadow-like under the trees. The scent now develops a slightly brittle, wiry, roughened, slender texture due to the more prominent base ingredients. Labdanum and oakmoss emerge, along with a leathery and slightly resinous, balsamic, warm quality that I would attribute to musk and civet.

Late now it moves into the kin of floriental chypres in my view, but holds one last surprise: The coffee aroma of Kopi Luwak, which together with a touch of vanilla heliotrope has a softening effect and forms a wonderfully attractive unit with civet and tuberose in my view.

The combination of tuberose and coffee with chypre aspects is certainly daring, and could, and now comes for today the last flat joke in this direction, go full in the pants, which is not the case. The fragrance is completely suitable for everyday use and at the same time exceedingly durable, I can still perceive it days later on my jacket collar.

My thanks to Ergoproxy for the sample!

Emorandeira
Animalic but not too much
I have the opportunity to try this fragrance today after wanting to do it for a long time and the truth is, it does not disappoint me. It is true, as I read in some comments, that it is not as animalistic as it might seem based on the name of the brand and the perfume, that it does not reach the levels of, for example, Marlou perfumes, but for me, honestly, it is on point just that it makes it perfectly wearable and that it cannot become unpleasant. For me it is a strong and intense aroma, where, although for many the flowers dominate, for my untrained nose and on my skin, it gives me the feeling that civet and resins predominate. It is true that flowers feel are very noticeable but for me the animalic and balsamic part wins. I also notice a sweet part, almost gourmand, although it comes out in a very timid way and is completely overwhelmed by the intensity of the civet.
Although I like civet as a perfume, I don't think I ever bought a bottle, although perhaps a travel size, since it is not a perfume that I actually think I will use regularly. A few days ago I had the opportunity to try Sarah Baker's jungle jezebel, which in drying is quite similar to me, although if I had to buy a perfume of this style I think I would opt for it because it has a more interesting character with the fruity point that the banana and the gum give. However, it is a little less intense than this one from zoologist and projects a bit less ... That makes it more bearable but also increases my doubts between the two ... Travel size of civet or full bottle of jungle jezebel? I'm not sure but when I decide it will be a medium-long-term purchase since there are other perfumes that I would like to get earlier.
I agree with those who say that civet is not a bomb either! It has an opening that could scare but as soon as it begins to dry down it becomes very pleasant and spicy. So although it is not a perfume for every day or for all tastes, you do not have to be afraid. The fragrance is tame quite well.

Scent: 8.5
Longevity: 9
Sillage: 8
Quality / price: 7
Versatility: 5
Originality: 9
Overall: 9
Peppery cat
"Civet" is peppery. The black pepper is very dominant from the beginning. I've liked it since I first smelled black pepper in a perfume. Since then, I also like to smoke it very much.

The animal, on the other hand, is very reserved with this scent. It doesn't come close to the animalism of "Hyrax".

Furthermore, for me it has similarities with the dried fruits of "Camel", although they are not in here at all. Fortunately, the listed citrus fruits are not so conspicuous.

The durability and sillage are better than those of "Camel"

Venomrock101
Mob boss in the whiskey lounge
Another classy Zoologist, but in a different way than I thought Rhino was classy. Instead of being a rhino skin rug on the floor of a rich man’s booze room, put yourself into the shoes of the rich man. Now hypothetically speaking let’s say this rich man is also a mob boss in a Sin City style movie where everything is intentionally black and white, except his red tie. Now, let’s also hypothetically say this man loves smoking nice wine flavored cigars. That’s what this fragrance smells like, an older, confident, but dangerous, man in an all black suit with a red tie who smokes wine flavored cigars in the rain. Is it abstract? Yeah. Did I not really do a good job describing the scent and more so described the feeling it gives me? Absolutely. But Civet is definitely one of the best works from Zoologist and deserves to be smelled by everyone at least once. Try before you buy.
Civet cuddly tiger
Yesterday, people were very prejudiced about the "Civet", because they thought a beast would hardly fit into a shopping Wednesday, only to be attacked, almost run over, by the "Dodo". And then today "Civet" is added - to be the most gentle seduction since "Zoologist" exists. That's how it goes.

"Civet" is a light creamy chypre - with almost all the harsh corners rounded and milled away. Even animalistic nuances, which are actually part of the good tone with zoologists, have to be looked for with the nose hair loupe. Basically, "Civet" is like an expensive luxury blanket, almost cashmere-like and with a coarse texture. Many components in the pyramid - a result that could hardly be more homogeneous and gentle. Slightly peppery? Slightly resinous? Slightly flowery? Minimal urinary? Yes, yes, yes and yes. But all in such homeopathic doses that you could bet on any other company outside of zoologists. This leads to good wearability, a deliciously soft overall impression, but certainly also to some disappointment among fans of their bold concept fragrances with thick eggs and full animal toilets.

Flacon: same same but different
Sillage: there, but rather for the carrier
Shelf life: becomes very quiet quickly, but stays for a little longer - 7-9 hours.

Conclusion: a cuddly, citric-creamy "Civet" blanket. Fluffy and puffy. One expects something much wilder. One of the most defensive zoologists. But I don't mean that in a bad way. Chypres couldn't get more modern and unisex
DarkWinterCS
Can't it be a little cozy? The first contact with tender animalics / zoologist
For a long time (as probably some among us) I avoided the brand Zoologist. I was too much afraid of animals, of unpleasant smells, of the idea of the brand. Some comments have certainly strengthened this effect, but there were also reviews which recommended testing.
So I made a first tender attempt with Camel. This one was already very pleasing and I found it very mild with its kind of African desert. In one way I found him a little too experimental.

Now then to the Civet, which I then ordered together as a bottling. To say it up front, I now own the full bottle.
Civet for me is already a little more daring than the old camel. It is much more resinous and for myself also a bit warmer. According to the statements and reviews, some people perceive the civet note in this fragrance as a certain urine note. Well, I would not go that far.

I have already tested the fragrance under very daring temperatures and I am glad I did it this way. The outside temperature was easily 25 degrees Celsius and thus a little bit too warm for the scent, but I could send my nose on an experimental roller coaster ride. In retrospect, I would say that the scent is very well wearable at any outdoor temperature below 20 degrees and that even in everyday life.
The start is already very warm and resinous, with a little freshness and a slight spiciness. Nothing unpleasant, nothing stinging could be heard here. In the course of the development balsamic notes and soft vanilla are added.
You have to say that at some point you reach the point of hearing animalism. But this is so pleasantly embedded in this warm composition, so well balanced in the aromatics, that it is not in any way negatively noticeable.
I am very surprised by this fragrance and also very happy to have bought a bottle
It should be said, however, that you should not apply more than 2 sprays. One on each side of the neck is enough. This also works relatively problem-free, because the spray head of the bottle works perfectly and distributes an extremely fine mist, but strong mist on the desired places
The flacon design is retro in a certain way. You find a heavy metal lid, which is covered with leather. The flacon is also finished in a modern interpretation of retro. The presentation is also relatively high quality, because the flacon comes in a magnetic packaging, where on the inside all the fragrances are listed again.

Absolutely test !

Civet
Notes: Bergamot, Black Pepper, Lemon, Orange, Spices, Tarragon, Carnation, Frangipani, Heliotrope, Hyacinth, Linden-Blossom, Tuberose, Ylang-Ylang, Balsams, Civet, Coffee, Incense, Labdanum, Musk, Oakmoss, Resins, Russian Leather, Vanilla, Vetiver and Woody Notes.

Perfumer: Shelly Waddington

I was hesitant to try this one as I am not a big fan of Animalic fragrances but this is surprised me. Opens with a blast of spices which is overpowering but once this tones down the lovely floral notes appear, mainly Ylang-Ylang, Tuberose and Frangipani. The drydown ks my favorite. The notes of Frankincense, Balsams, Coffee, Labdanum, Russian Leather and Vanilla give this fragrance a warm, sexy amd dark effect. The note of Civet is definitely noticeable but it's blended with perfection and the right amount of Civet gives this fragrance that animalic nuances. Overall a sexy, warm, dark and Ambery fragrance. Love this one

Civet (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• ZOOLOGIST CIVET •

First thought: 'Not nearly as animalic as I thought I would be'.

Civet opens with a slightly skanky, animalic, musky note and it has a bit of a bug spray harshness. Purely smelling this, I think the scent could throw a lot of people who aren't too fond of animalics off instantly. However, within literally five minutes, it becomes much milder and an extremely soft balsamic accord starts to take center stage next to the civet. It's very warm and silky smooth, with touches of herbal, floral, earthy and spicy notes that I'm not even going to try to distinguish. Coincidentally, I tried Xerjoff's More Than Words earlier this week and Civet shares the sort of fizzy, cola type of scent to me. Maybe even more so a cola connection than I had with More Than Words, as Civet really reminded me of cola lollypops with bubblegum in them that I used to have growing up. I started to think I was going to love this fragrance.

The drydown threw a bit of a curveball, as it reels back the florals a bit and a different kind of sweetness emerges. Coffee is a note a lot of people pick up on here, but I can't say that I do. There's a hint of something after a while, but I get more of vanilla or maybe caramel. If it's coffee, it's definitely not a bitter, roasted, coffeebean type of scent, but coffee with a ton of sugar and milk and it's faintly in the back. Now, I said that the florals are toned down in the drydown, but they are still present. It's all blended so harmoniously that it's hard to even categorize Civet. To me, it's definitely not an animalic; aside from the first minutes and some skanky wafts in the late drydown, animalic notes are bystanders in this fragrance. Mainly, this is an almost exotic, tropical floral and balsamic fragrance, that at some points during the wear reminded me of a slightly less feminine (still very much unisex) flanker of Zoologist's Hummingbird.

If you want a strong animalic civet fragrance, I think you don't even have to look at this one. For me however, this was a welcome surprise. The only thing keeping me from fully loving this fragrance is the bit of skank or muskiness that rears it's head later in the drydown •

Please follow my IG Nose.Knows.No.Notes for more reviews and fragrance photography

Orange powder musk
Another well-composed, distinctive, and wearable hit. Rich and strong open with citrus and spice, turning increasingly floral and powdery, then musky and leathery over time. Smells expensive and over the top—like dressing up in a glamorous fur coat. There’s something alluring and sexy about this one that keeps me coming back. Lasts forever too!

EmorandeiraEmorandeira 6 months ago
Flowers, spices and over all a resinous and animalic background. The civet is the protagonist of this weareable and pleasant fragrance.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 12 months ago
A heavy, yet classy female-oriented spicy-sweet floral fragrance, balanced by a more gentle earthy-resinous and slightly animalic base.

by EauMySoul
by Kike
by Venomrock101
by Venomrock101

Popular Zoologist

Bee by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Dragonfly (2017) by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Musk Deer by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Macaque (2016) by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Dodo (2019) by Zoologist Bat (2020) by Zoologist