Dodo by Zoologist

Dodo is a new perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is green-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average.

Top Notes Top NotesFern, Lime, Lychee, Raspberry
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmbergris, Fir balsam, Geranium, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Sandalwood

Submitted by Skarabäus, last update on 29.09.2019.

10.0 10.0 10.0 6.0/10

Dodo. Only The Brave.
This is gonna be a short swan song. Dodo offers truly fabulous green tones and intoxicating fruit notes. Delicious lychee, multifaceted green! Unfortunately this wonderful bouquet is in a vase full of protein.

The Dodo-Ikebana exudes a more than veritable carcass sweetness that takes the smeller to his stoic limits. The olfactory warning effect of the protein porridge - coagulated and grayed - plays itself into the foreground for the psyche in such a way that everything else is quickly forgotten. The tail of green sweetness quickly withers and degrades to another waste product in the denaturing chain. If I was out on the road, I'd look for my shoes - where did I step in? The latent worry is as persistent as the smell that doesn't want to leave you: I must have stepped in somewhere! Dead hedgehog, dead bird...? Oh, great.

Those who can endure or even enjoy this game will have to interpret and associate the scents in a different way - it seemed impossible to me personally. This is my kryptonite. A dare for home.
4.0/10

Musty bird cage
Being a fougere fan, I had high hopes for this one... but they can’t all be winners. Brings back memories of growing up around aviaries—the smell captured here is uncanny. Birds have a very particular scent that is equal parts musky (their skin), dusty (their feathers), and grainy (their food). Kudos is deserved for perfectly replicating that scent—it’s just something I never seek to smell, let alone wear.
9.0 10.0 7.5/10

HeiiRa
The dodo is dead, long live the dodo!
A bird, then... interesting model for a scent, because I don't associate scents with birds now, which I would like to have attached to me.

Thanks to Accolon for the successful sharing!

Back to the scent... naive as I am now and then, I went straight to full contact. For me as a right-hander, the left wrist was virtually predestined for this. After the first sprayer, the protective reflex occurred, which removed my wrist from the nose faster than overly hairy men would probably want to remove the wax strip. Now the dead bird was my first zoologist experience and I wanted to experience it. So washing up after two minutes was out of the question. He's potent, knows how to assert himself, and he's not the quiet kind. So if that corresponded to the bird around 1600, then I wonder how the creature could die out! Because on my wrist, the good bird has shown zeal for life, after 22 hours it has retired for the sake of my nose. Don't get me wrong, the prelude is very pungent in my nose, but as with many fragrances, when the top note subsides, the fragrance begins to present its true self. This is interesting for Dodo, green and wooded. Imagine a flightless bird running in a monkey's tooth through a mossy forest area... the moss, the fallen bark of nearby trees, ferns, fermented forest fruits and the like is whirled up by the metre-sized Speedy Gonzales... the heart note looked like this (about three to 15 hours - after that I fell asleep). I actually liked him quite a lot. It remains to be seen that this was perhaps seen relative to the top note.
After getting up and another six and a half hours (seems to have been a nocturnal bird) the scent changed a bit and got a lot warmer, I think Patchouli and Amber did the rest.

Conclusion: Dodo is not an everyday scent, at least not for me. Dodo is an experience scent. One of those fragrances that I spray on to let my mind wander and to get out of everyday life. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that Joseph DeLapp used oil as a base again, but it's said to be of alcoholic nature. I'm looking forward to every further comment and every statement inspired by Dodo!
10.0 9.0 10.0 9.5/10

Attractive-rejecting.
It's a matter of expectations and anticipation. One always makes oneself unintentionally nevertheless a certain idea of what may come there.
In the case of Dodo, it was clear to me (despite my extensive zooligist experience, which should have taught me a better lesson) that the fragrance would turn green, possibly a bit fruity and, above all, a rather light fragrance compared to candidates like Moth or Tyrannosaurus Rex.
One suspects it already since the introduction; I was wrong there thoroughly...
Dodo is a direct dirty side to your ears, that may lead to shouting and shrugging from the back of your hand. The direct prelude is already very... demanding.

Deep green, but not like rich green forests and grasses. Deep green pond water is more like it. A paddle boat that has become rotten from the water weighs on it, algae proliferate under its belly, the wood is already waterlogged. A wind train carries a mixture of salt and wet moss past me...

Sounds equally romantic and somewhat repulsive in the details of the fragrances mentioned. But also Dodo indeed seems (to me) attracting and repulsive at the same time (however attracting here clearly prevails).
Dodo is certainly not a fragrance for everyone. He makes a statement and does not want to be tender, flattering and beautiful in the classical sense.
Personally, it took me a while to get used to Dodo and to classify his "dirtiness" correctly. It does not pass us by in the course of the fragrance but remains present from beginning to end.

Should I (have to) make a scent comparison (which is even more difficult with Zoologist than with some other representatives), then this would be rather daring and exclusively an attempt at visualization. And then I would say a mixture of echoes of Fahrenheit, Santal Blush, Oud Minérale and Stercus. But as I said, under reserve.

However, one thing is beyond question, namely that Dodo is a courageously composed and unique fragrance with a unique message

by Jensemann
by Jensemann
by Piepmatz
by Piepmatz

Popular Zoologist

Bat by Zoologist Rhinoceros by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Panda (2014) by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Dodo by Zoologist Hyrax by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Beaver (2014) by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist