Dodo 2019

Version from 2019
Dodo (2019) by Zoologist
Dodo (2019) is a perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is green-spicy. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesFernFern
MuskMusk
OakmossOakmoss
PatchouliPatchouli
SandalwoodSandalwood

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 08.10.2021.

The last of their kind
At first it was so beautiful! How the big raft shone in the sun and approached. Huge trees stood on the raft and in white clouds caught the wind. They had never seen anything like it. Finally the raft was close and the clouds disappeared. Smaller rafts came ashore with funny looking creatures on two legs. Just like us, they thought, and rejoiced.

But then it began. The strange creatures slew them and cooked them over fires and ate them! There had never been anything like this before and it confused them, so they watched for now. Only one of them, who was standing at the edge of the forest, had a small thought in his feathered head: this is outrageous, danger, I must warn the others!

Slowly the dodo, call him Dronte, turned and trudged over damp ferns into the undergrowth. Immediately the green twilight of the jungle enveloped him. Moist and sweet it smelled of overripe fruits and honestly also strongly of bird. So beautiful, Dronte thought to himself. And oops, now he almost slipped on a lychee. Slightly sour and sweet, the smell of the squashed lychee drifted up between his claws. It was the time of abundance in the year, when all the fruits were ripe, fell to the ground and slowly hardened there. Like all dodos, Dronte loved this time. The slightly fermented fruit was the most beautiful thing in the whole year. It was no surprise then that he momentarily lost track of what he really wanted. He guessed it was something really important, but it just wouldn't come to him. Maybe after a little snack, the memory will come back for sure, he thought to himself. The lightly fermented fruit tasted excellent, a warm feeling spread through him and his mood brightened noticeably right away. The scent of flowers was heavy and sweet in the warm, humid air. Oh, what a beautiful life it was!

Aimlessly, the small, fat dronte wandered around for several hours. Every now and then he nibbled a few fruits, always nicely on level, the most beautiful time of the year. He rubbed his feathers on the sandal tree, lay down under the bushes in the moss, took a little nap and dreamed of flying again. What he had intended to do that was important, he did not remember for a long time. After his nap he would go down to the beach again, it was always so beautiful there at this time...

------------------

The dodo was supposedly discovered in 1598 on Mauritius by Dutch sailors. The island was uninhabited, he knew no natural enemies and therefore had no fear from the Dutch. If he had known about the eating habits of the Dutch, he might not have been quite so trusting. But it wouldn't have changed his fate much, because he couldn't fly. Evolution can be really nasty. Tragically, the dodo isn't even described as particularly tasty. But if you're at sea for weeks on end, you might see it differently. In any case, by 1690 at the latest, the subject of the dodo had been eaten.

But now to the also already extinct Dodo (2019) by Zoologist:
The start is green, terrifyingly green. Rain wet ferns, damp undergrowth, jungle comes to mind. Sweetish fruit to go with it, very ripe but not yet fermented. I can't smell individual fruits, but they are sour as well as sweet. Through all this a plump, flightless bird deppert and crushes it between its claws. And the bird smells a bit stern, animalistic, you'd think you were in an exotic bird aviary. Guanon notes in muggy air. Then there are heavy flowers. The rose is recognizable here. There you have to go through first.
After half an hour, it becomes more pleasant, fortunately. The initially violent silage recedes somewhat and everything becomes softer. Could be due to the fir balsam, but I do not explicitly smell out. This is then quite pleasant until the musk comes creamy around the corner and makes everything a bit sweeter and sultry again. Amber is probably also already involved here.
More beautiful and spicy it is then only when patch and moss join and strangely enough, I perceive only then a slightly fermented, alcoholic fruit note, which others already discover at the beginning. I don't find it as unpleasant as it might sound now though. Sandalwood and musk cream and fluff around and amber comes in as well. The base is nice and even portable.
The fragrance itself, however, I would not want to wear. Much too exhausting and I also do not want to smell like a bird, extinct or not.

Thanks to the Schalkerin!

Small literature tip: Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See / The last of their kind
Naughty bird!
My first Zoologist experience was not exactly inspiring during my initial test. When I sprayed on this scent, I was not familiar with animalic and what Zoologist has going for it. So my first reaction was: a strange mixture of gherkins, a strange sultriness, a hint of a note that could go in the direction of urine (which my fellow men have not perceived so!).
Well, now that I have clearly smelled more I can say that the Dodo is a really naughty feathered creature, but he knows how to convince!
Fresh after spraying it smells spicy, unusual spicy. I mean it goes in the direction of tart fruits that have been lying on the ground for a while and gnawed on by one or the other Dodo. This dark green spiciness is really unique, plus as a bird owner for as long as I can remember, I can say that the scent also authentically conveys sides of a bird aviary. A bird lie [or possibly appropriately here: vögeln(lie)] note like this is unusual and unique, there's something about it, something captivating about it, I want to smell it again and again. On top of that I perceive a sultry note, haze is in the air, I like it. This whole combination is just weird-awesome!
The spice develops in the course and decreases a little in sharpness, but also comes out more intense. The tart fruity notes remain and become a little friendlier and also the wearability increases for me in the fragrance development. There's a captivating side to the base as well that keeps pulling at my nose every now and then. With a scent like this, you will stand out, but not necessarily please everyone, but certainly be remembered. HOW one remains in memory depends on you ;)

In summary, the Dodo is a really cheeky feathered beast, which you get in the course but tamed. I have never smelled something like this, all respect zoologist, you know how to create scents, or even conjures ;)
Leimbacher
Dodo or not dodo? That is the question...
Stories from the diary of a "zoo traveller" and odour tester: there you skip "Civet" with a clear conscience, because you know that it could be animalistically brutal and will be too extreme for a "shopping Wednesday" (our day of the week when we go grocery shopping) - there the "dodo" shits on the back of your hand and is also a brutal board from the olfactory animal kingdom, which will certainly give me as many writhing noses in the local Edeka... Well, that's how it works. No matter. Especially because this giant bird becomes more tame by the minute - even if it never gets rid of its biting green, overripe backbone...

"Dodo" is not and never will be a fragrance "for shopping". But that doesn't mean he's bad or that you should be ashamed of him. On the contrary. This extinct (!), Mauritanian (!!) night model smells olfactorically interpreted by "zoologist" in an extremely complex and interesting way. A tart, fermented, green-fruity mud fossil. Thoroughly migraine worthy, but also with a proper attraction and barrel strength. Strong-willed and woody. Soil instead of strawberries. Rotting, wet autumn leaves and resin-bleeding firs. A transitional scent between summer and winter or vice versa. A fragrance for advanced students. And courageous. Then maybe even really well wearable. But definitely a fragrance that needs to be explained to unscrupulous noses. No "Secretions Magnifiques", but still somehow rotting, cold and wet, rotten and damp. Intimate and mesnobling. Or "creative"?! Just as I would imagine if I had sat down in a well-filled dodonest on the outskirts of Mauritius 400 years ago. Naked and alone, fascinated and disgusted. No more bathing or being eaten.

Flacon: The pictures are a matter of taste. As an animal lover but great.
Sillage: brute. Becomes quieter quickly though.
Durability: brutal - at least 11 hours

Conclusion: a crack-animalistic greenling full of straw, earth, hay and... Bunch? This dodo is one of the most typical "zoologists" and is exemplary for their concept, idea, DNA. A prehistoric zoo annual card filled in a bottle.
Dodo. Only The Brave.
This is gonna be a short swan song. Dodo offers truly fabulous green tones and intoxicating fruit notes. Delicious lychee, multifaceted green! Unfortunately this wonderful bouquet is in a vase full of protein.

The Dodo-Ikebana exudes a more than veritable carcass sweetness that takes the smeller to his stoic limits. The olfactory warning effect of the protein porridge - coagulated and grayed - plays itself into the foreground for the psyche in such a way that everything else is quickly forgotten. The tail of green sweetness quickly withers and degrades to another waste product in the denaturing chain. If I was out on the road, I'd look for my shoes - where did I step in? The latent worry is as persistent as the smell that doesn't want to leave you: I must have stepped in somewhere! Dead hedgehog, dead bird...? Oh, great.

Those who can endure or even enjoy this game will have to interpret and associate the scents in a different way - it seemed impossible to me personally. This is my kryptonite. A dare for home.

Musty bird cage
Being a fougere fan, I had high hopes for this one... but they can’t all be winners. Brings back memories of growing up around aviaries—the smell captured here is uncanny. Birds have a very particular scent that is equal parts musky (their skin), dusty (their feathers), and grainy (their food). Kudos is deserved for perfectly replicating that scent—it’s just something I never seek to smell, let alone wear.
HeiiRa
The dodo is dead, long live the dodo!
A bird, then... interesting model for a scent, because I don't associate scents with birds now, which I would like to have attached to me.

Thanks to Accolon for the successful sharing!

Back to the scent... naive as I am now and then, I went straight to full contact. For me as a right-hander, the left wrist was virtually predestined for this. After the first sprayer, the protective reflex occurred, which removed my wrist from the nose faster than overly hairy men would probably want to remove the wax strip. Now the dead bird was my first zoologist experience and I wanted to experience it. So washing up after two minutes was out of the question. He's potent, knows how to assert himself, and he's not the quiet kind. So if that corresponded to the bird around 1600, then I wonder how the creature could die out! Because on my wrist, the good bird has shown zeal for life, after 22 hours it has retired for the sake of my nose. Don't get me wrong, the prelude is very pungent in my nose, but as with many fragrances, when the top note subsides, the fragrance begins to present its true self. This is interesting for Dodo, green and wooded. Imagine a flightless bird running in a monkey's tooth through a mossy forest area... the moss, the fallen bark of nearby trees, ferns, fermented forest fruits and the like is whirled up by the metre-sized Speedy Gonzales... the heart note looked like this (about three to 15 hours - after that I fell asleep). I actually liked him quite a lot. It remains to be seen that this was perhaps seen relative to the top note.
After getting up and another six and a half hours (seems to have been a nocturnal bird) the scent changed a bit and got a lot warmer, I think Patchouli and Amber did the rest.

Conclusion: Dodo is not an everyday scent, at least not for me. Dodo is an experience scent. One of those fragrances that I spray on to let my mind wander and to get out of everyday life. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that Joseph DeLapp used oil as a base again, but it's said to be of alcoholic nature. I'm looking forward to every further comment and every statement inspired by Dodo!
Attractive-rejecting.
It's a matter of expectations and anticipation. One always makes oneself unintentionally nevertheless a certain idea of what may come there.
In the case of Dodo, it was clear to me (despite my extensive zooligist experience, which should have taught me a better lesson) that the fragrance would turn green, possibly a bit fruity and, above all, a rather light fragrance compared to candidates like Moth or Tyrannosaurus Rex.
One suspects it already since the introduction; I was wrong there thoroughly...
Dodo is a direct dirty side to your ears, that may lead to shouting and shrugging from the back of your hand. The direct prelude is already very... demanding.

Deep green, but not like rich green forests and grasses. Deep green pond water is more like it. A paddle boat that has become rotten from the water weighs on it, algae proliferate under its belly, the wood is already waterlogged. A wind train carries a mixture of salt and wet moss past me...

Sounds equally romantic and somewhat repulsive in the details of the fragrances mentioned. But also Dodo indeed seems (to me) attracting and repulsive at the same time (however attracting here clearly prevails).
Dodo is certainly not a fragrance for everyone. He makes a statement and does not want to be tender, flattering and beautiful in the classical sense.
Personally, it took me a while to get used to Dodo and to classify his "dirtiness" correctly. It does not pass us by in the course of the fragrance but remains present from beginning to end.

Should I (have to) make a scent comparison (which is even more difficult with Zoologist than with some other representatives), then this would be rather daring and exclusively an attempt at visualization. And then I would say a mixture of echoes of Fahrenheit, Santal Blush, Oud Minérale and Stercus. But as I said, under reserve.

However, one thing is beyond question, namely that Dodo is a courageously composed and unique fragrance with a unique message

by Jensemann
by Jensemann

Popular Zoologist

Bee by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Dragonfly (2017) by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Musk Deer by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Macaque (2016) by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Chipmunk by Zoologist