Hyrax by Zoologist

Hyrax is a perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is animal-resinous. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesElemi resin, Pink pepper, Saffron, Turkish rose
Heart Notes Heart NotesHyraceum, Hyacinth, Styrax, Whisky
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Castoreum, Civet, Benzoin, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 05.08.2020.

He's a smelly stinker.
After spraying on, a distinct fecal (Kotige) note embedded in a sweetish coat was to be "sensed". This scent mark also lasted a few hours, after which the scent developed pleasingly and a strong earthy/mossy scent, which I had liked very much, came to the fore. I was surprised to smell a pissy note on the "exit". I would like to claim that for lovers of animal scents everything that is feasible (or desired) is offered here. The Kublai Khan perfume had a much stronger fecal note, but the fragrance didn't have as much "detail" as Hyrax. Of all the animal scents I have tested so far, I find Hyrax to be the best. Therefore in my wish list the Khan is replaced by the funny Schliefer.

Funky rose tonka
I was most nervous (yet also excited) to try this one. The opening greeted me with that medicinal bandage vibe of Tauer L’Oudh, with a slight nod towards my arch nemesis, Slow Explosions (rose + saffron)—but thankfully without the immediate repulsion. Instead, I found myself surprised by how much I tolerated (and even began to like) the intensifying baked fecal and urine notes. I think the secret to its success was pairing that animalic funk with the warming and nutty sweetness of tonka and benzoin. Not something I’d ever wear out, but glad I got to challenge my nose with it.
Yharnam79
Challenging vs fascinating, appealing vs repulsive, art vs fragrance
After browsing through the comments and statements, when I bought and first tested Hyrax, I not only had my doubts, but also reckoned with a faecal leg bordering on disgust.

In order to bridle the horse from behind (whereby this formulation is very suitable here), Hyrax - and here I agree with my previous speaker Ergoproxy 100% - shows what is technically feasible and possible in the world of fragrance creation. I also find the statement very, very suitably chosen to describe Hyrax as a "Haute Couture fragrance". Fragrance as art.
However, Hyrax also (intentionally?) shows what we find disgusting or repulsive these days, even though it triggers our very own receptors at the same time.
This statement refers a little to my headline, because this fragrance is really a challenge - even for trained and hard boiled noses!
The biggest mistake might be to test Hyrax with a powerful spray - even bigger the mistake of leaving the house with a powerful spray.
Less is definitely more here! In addition, the animal-faecal-looking note can be incredibly well contained. Because it's there - and it's neat!
Nevertheless, I do not find Hyrax to be an animal stinker or disgustingly smelling of excrement. Amber, Benzoe, Patchouli and Tonka have a lot to do, but they manage to keep the animal in check so much that the scent even radiates something pleasant. Somehow still horse stable and circus ring but with the thought not immediately with the excretions which horses or other circus animals drop. Rather Hyrax radiates something raw, animal and natural. With regard to the animal parts, I personally find Peau de Bête or Stercus much more difficult.
If you then hold on to Hyrax for two hours on the skin, the animal note has clearly receded into the background, the animals are, so to speak, in a cage. Hyrax then remains on my skin resinous-spicy-warm.
Something is there then in the base too, which reminds me enormously of Tom Ford's London but I can't figure out what or why...

I am sure and can fully understand that Hyrax is not and will not become a mainstream fragrance. However, one must keep it to the good that it - like many of its conspecifics - is excellently made.
However, to say it again - spraying only in well dosed form.
With an overdose, you hit yourself in the face with a horse's apple!

LgsoltekLgsoltek 63 days ago
Up close it smells transparently peppery, like something’s hollowed out. From a distance it just feels like an aura of shit around you.
Syzygy73Syzygy73 104 days ago
This reminds me of fart spray from a joke shop. Sweet fecal notes combine with stringent animalic notes. Interesting but not for me.

by Yharnam79
by Yharnam79
by BoBoChamp
by BoBoChamp

Popular Zoologist

Camel by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Rhinoceros by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Dodo by Zoologist Bat (2020) by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist