Hyrax by Zoologist
Hyrax is a perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is animal-resinous. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesElemi resin, Pink pepper, Saffron, Turkish rose
Heart Notes Heart NotesHyraceum, Hyacinth, Styrax, Whisky
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Castoreum, Civet, Benzoin, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 30.12.2020.

Animanic
Who's that lying in the crib with his big bag?
Who has so much hair on his four stinky cheeks?

Why do you have such sharp teeth and narrowed eyes?
I can hardly believe you're my grandmother
How come that sleepyhead only fits you halfway?
And why do you still have half a calf between your teeth?

What died under your bed?
Why does it smell like rotting meat here, attractive and yet spoiled?

Is that chest hair or did you wet your leather jacket? Are you the one who releases me from this life?
Are you a rocker or just unwashed for a week because of the lockdown? Or do you collect sweaty armpit hairs in your trouser pockets?

You smell very stern, you smell very nice,
i could get used to the sight of you
So who are you, wolf or sheep? Or is it already too much to ask for that?

Animalic-fans watch out and smell the dust,
this furry cuddly thief has committed a crime of passion.
A beautiful animal
Yeah, what can I say? I like animal perfume. Marlou's "Ambilux" is my favorite. And "Hyrax" by Zoologist Perfumes is very close to it on my popularity scale
The prelude is pure animalism, but in a pleasant way. So it is by no means the case that one should not dare to leave the house when wearing Hyrax. Because the whole thing is underlaid with notes, which in the composition look beautifully floral to me and radiate a pleasant freshness, which reminds me of freshly washed laundry. Animal excrement and freshly washed laundry? That may sound contradictory. It is. But these opposites have been fantastically united here.

However, one should expect the animal dominance to last for quite some time. I estimate that you can enjoy it for about two to three hours. After that, the animal element gives way completely to the floral element.

The conclusion is clear: If you don't like strong animal notes, you should keep your hands off Hyrax. But whoever gets involved with the animal and gets along with it or even appreciates it, like me, will eventually show its gentle side. An extraordinary scent is waiting for you.

The artwork deserves a special mention in this case. Even the samples are lovingly embedded in small cardboard sleeves. Each perfume is accompanied by a drawing of the animal it was named after. I think the Schliefer, as the Hyrax is called in German, is particularly successful. I would like to cuddle the cute little animal on the picture best of all.

All in all, Hyrax is a completely successful work of Zoologist Perfumes and Sven Pritzkoleit

Dimond
A lot of goat skins on the warm wooden floor.
I bought myself a full bottle and overjoyed. I bought for myself and my husband for our wedding anniversary. I bought it blindly along the pyramid. I love animalics! I don't know what kind of skin I have, but for me this smell is a pleasure. I don't hear any faeces in it. The husband hears in it specifically earthy and industrial notes. Plus something sweet and balsamic. For my husband, this is a mixture of "Figment" of Amouage and "Bois d 'Ascese" of Naomi Goodsir. The base is unusually fresh and beautiful. I will definitely wear it to work. For me, the smell of radiculitis ointment lingered in the opening - there was once such, my grandfather called her a "snake venom". I read the reviews before buying and was prepared for the terrible thing, presented all sorts of combinations of toilet smells, miself and my husband were prepared to wear this perfume only at home, like conspirators or members of a secret club. The atmosphere at home was saturated with jokes and fun while we were waiting for the package, but nothing of the kind happened and neither my husband, neither me did not understood some of You Tube's films where testers exploded with disgust. The difficulty is that I find it difficult to describe this smell, that reminds me of something, but it slips away, I think he is somewhere like sea buckthorn in sugar syrup, a heated log house with a burning stove and a pot on it. A hut heated by a Russian stove in severe frost and a lot of goat skins on the wooden floor. I'm in love with this smell.
He's a smelly stinker.
After spraying on, a distinct fecal (Kotige) note embedded in a sweetish coat was to be "sensed". This scent mark also lasted a few hours, after which the scent developed pleasingly and a strong earthy/mossy scent, which I had liked very much, came to the fore. I was surprised to smell a pissy note on the "exit". I would like to claim that for lovers of animal scents everything that is feasible (or desired) is offered here. The Kublai Khan perfume had a much stronger fecal note, but the fragrance didn't have as much "detail" as Hyrax. Of all the animal scents I have tested so far, I find Hyrax to be the best. Therefore in my wish list the Khan is replaced by the funny Schliefer.

Funky rose tonka
I was most nervous (yet also excited) to try this one. The opening greeted me with that medicinal bandage vibe of Tauer L’Oudh, with a slight nod towards my arch nemesis, Slow Explosions (rose + saffron)—but thankfully without the immediate repulsion. Instead, I found myself surprised by how much I tolerated (and even began to like) the intensifying baked fecal and urine notes. I think the secret to its success was pairing that animalic funk with the warming and nutty sweetness of tonka and benzoin. Not something I’d ever wear out, but glad I got to challenge my nose with it.
Yharnam79
Challenging vs fascinating, appealing vs repulsive, art vs fragrance
After browsing through the comments and statements, when I bought and first tested Hyrax, I not only had my doubts, but also reckoned with a faecal leg bordering on disgust.

In order to bridle the horse from behind (whereby this formulation is very suitable here), Hyrax - and here I agree with my previous speaker Ergoproxy 100% - shows what is technically feasible and possible in the world of fragrance creation. I also find the statement very, very suitably chosen to describe Hyrax as a "Haute Couture fragrance". Fragrance as art.
However, Hyrax also (intentionally?) shows what we find disgusting or repulsive these days, even though it triggers our very own receptors at the same time.
This statement refers a little to my headline, because this fragrance is really a challenge - even for trained and hard boiled noses!
The biggest mistake might be to test Hyrax with a powerful spray - even bigger the mistake of leaving the house with a powerful spray.
Less is definitely more here! In addition, the animal-faecal-looking note can be incredibly well contained. Because it's there - and it's neat!
Nevertheless, I do not find Hyrax to be an animal stinker or disgustingly smelling of excrement. Amber, Benzoe, Patchouli and Tonka have a lot to do, but they manage to keep the animal in check so much that the scent even radiates something pleasant. Somehow still horse stable and circus ring but with the thought not immediately with the excretions which horses or other circus animals drop. Rather Hyrax radiates something raw, animal and natural. With regard to the animal parts, I personally find Peau de Bête or Stercus much more difficult.
If you then hold on to Hyrax for two hours on the skin, the animal note has clearly receded into the background, the animals are, so to speak, in a cage. Hyrax then remains on my skin resinous-spicy-warm.
Something is there then in the base too, which reminds me enormously of Tom Ford's London but I can't figure out what or why...

I am sure and can fully understand that Hyrax is not and will not become a mainstream fragrance. However, one must keep it to the good that it - like many of its conspecifics - is excellently made.
However, to say it again - spraying only in well dosed form.
With an overdose, you hit yourself in the face with a horse's apple!

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 4 months ago
A rather boozy spicy-resinous AND challenging animalic (dusty) leathery Winter fragrance, balanced by warm earthy-woody base. Beast mode!
LgsoltekLgsoltek 7 months ago
Up close it smells transparently peppery, like something’s hollowed out. From a distance it just feels like an aura of shit around you.
Syzygy73Syzygy73 9 months ago
This reminds me of fart spray from a joke shop. Sweet fecal notes combine with stringent animalic notes. Interesting but not for me.

by Yharnam79
by Yharnam79
by BoBoChamp
by BoBoChamp

Popular Zoologist

Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Musk Deer by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Dodo (2019) by Zoologist