Moth by Zoologist

Moth is a new perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBlack pepper, Cinnamon, Clove, Cumin, Nutmeg, Saffron, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesHeliotrope, Iris, Jasmine, Rose, Mimosa, Lily-of-the-valley
Base Notes Base NotesGaiac wood, Oud, Nagarmotha, Smoke, Vetiver, Patchouli, Ambergris, Honey, Resins, Musk

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 30.11.2019.

4.0/10

Smoky oud mothballs
I get that piercing saffron again, this time accompanied by a very dry and medicinal oud that results in the camphorous effect of mothballs. There is no sweetness here, nor the signature animal musk notes from others in the line—just lots of loud clove, camphor, and dry resin. The dry down smells like dried saliva; that smell immediately following a sneeze. Not quite stomach-turning or headache-inducing, but definitely not for me.
10.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

Yharnam79
The pure beauty of the ugly
In the past, I have had the great luck and not least the joy of being able to test every single one of the zoologist fragrances at least once. I (therefore) also understand quite well the dichotomy between the fragrances and the often quite broadly diversified evaluations of the individual fragrances. They are all art, every single one is very unique and for me they are usually overwhelming at first.
Even with the four I have in my collection, I find them all great, but not all of them really portable.
My prime example for this is the Bat, which I composed magnificently in my nose. Dark, fascinating and as close to the theme as one can be. Nevertheless I never wear it, but rather enjoy the sight and the regular sniffing of the bottle.
I also like Rhinoceros incredibly much, but depending on the shape of the day and my mood he kills me.
In Macaque I feel good all the time.
Ever since the announcement, I've been really hot to get Moth under my nose. On the one hand because of the topic, on the other hand because I had promised myself at least once again something unwearable and great from Moth during the test smell.

Moth begins rough and impetuous with lots of pepper, nutmeg, cloves and saffron. And although I really don't like any of these spices except for the last one I mentioned, an amazingly harmonious and unpenetrating fragrance cloud formed immediately. (Thank God not the trace of cumin...)
After a few seconds, the spice of rose and other more bitter floral notes is reembedded and it seems a little sacral and (weih-)smoky. The pleasantly familiar smell of old wood pushes through. A real treat: sometimes dust-dry, sometimes resin-soaked.
Oud and blackest patchouli complete the head cinema; as if one were just strolling through a church garden covered in night fog. The smell of the rose hedges and the old church with the old wooden benches and the incense bell around you. And the moths circling before the full moon.
Once the scent has played itself in, it has an almost flattering effect, because the distantly perceptible scent of honey (I actually imagine smelling honey, too...) and the softest amber turn the whole thing away from the church garden and towards the impetuously beautiful butterfly flight.
Out of the crack in the old wood, through the church window over the cemetery garden and the wall.
Over grasses and woods through treetops. A stop to feast on the sweet plant sap and continue with an already elegant flapping of the wings. Gene moonlight.

If I had to choose any comparison I'd say Moth reminds me quite, gaaaanz away from Tom Ford's London. However, only for lack of a better comparison and then with a whole scoop of smoke more and a scoop of ornateness (in the most positive sense, because I like London very much) less. And plus really great honey, of which I (as far as I do not imagine it nevertheless) am quite enthusiastic.
In the course of writing the last section, it also occurred to me that I feel that "not being able to compare" is an additional strength of Moth (and the zoologist scents themselves).

Moth is a complete surprise to me. A truly grandiose and harmonious fragrance. Cool, enveloping, spicy, raw. In the later then all this paired with (not too much) sweetness and "powderiness" like finest wood chips.

My Zoologist Perfumes Moth Review on YouTube
This is my Zoologist Perfumes Moth Review with Dalya. Moth by Zoologist Perfumes is one of the latest releases from this brand and I love it. Out of several fragrances from Zoologist Perfumes such as Camel and Elephant and also several impressions videos I have launched on the channel I find Moth to be quite beast mode. It’s big, it’s bold and it’s complex but dries down to a beautiful honeyed, powdery, floral fragrance. And the best parf of the fragrance is when it dries down. But be warned Moth is a big start. It’s loud and screechy as I mentioned in the video. It’s a who’s who of the spice cabinet and I love this part about the fragrance. It gives you a warning of what you’re going to experience with Moth but as previously mentioned it does dry down to a beautifully soft, fragile perfume just like the creature it’s inspired from. To find out more about Moth please watch my review on YouTube.

9.0 7.0 10.0 8.0/10

Franfan20
Like a moth to a flame, burned by the fire…
"... my love is blind, can't you see my desire" - That's The Way Love Goes, Janet Jackson (1993)

Moth invites you on a trip to the dark side, in dusty arches where it smells bulky and of old wood. But you can quickly find a way out of the crypt, into the night. First you have to shake off the spicy dust before the tempting sweet honey smell spreads and reveals the hidden elegance of the moth. A perfect example of a successful camouflage. If you are lucky and discover it, you may consider the moth unattractive at first. And yet, some species have an appealing beauty to them that captivates and fascinates over time and is in no way inferior to the fragility and grace of butterflies.
According to my taste, the spicy top note bothers me at the beginning. It is as brutal as in Civet, making me feel uncomfortable. In this case there is lots of clove, which I don't like at all. But after only a few minutes, a hint of smoke is subliminally noticeable. It gives me the impression of a slightly musty crypt, but at the same time it resembles a smokehouse somehow. So there are indeed some moths who unintentionally pulverize themselves. This mixture gives the fragrance a certain occult mood, but Moth is not a Gothic fragrance to me. It offers much more than just crude puns. I think that the mild honey sweetness is particularly appealing, since it is paired with a spiciness, which is now much more aromatic and pleasant. It's the attractant for the conspecifics and the nose, which are to be hypnotized. It becomes a woody powder, which in my imagination trickles down the wings of the moths as they hover silently through the night following a light source into uncertainty. What appears to be difficult at first glance becomes lovely and familiar over time. I think that Moth is easy and beautiful to wear, despite the top note, so that my purchase decision is almost made. I must also emphasize the creativity that the illustrator shows here again. The anthropomorphic version of the moth is so twisted beautiful and ingeniously chosen. Not many can wear their own body as fashion.

by sebjar
by sebjar

Popular Zoologist

Bat by Zoologist Rhinoceros by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Panda (2014) by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Dodo by Zoologist Hyrax by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Beaver (2014) by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist