Nightingale 2016

Nightingale by Zoologist
Nightingale is a popular perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is floral-fruity. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Lemon, Saffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesUme blossom, Red rose, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesOud, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Moss, Frankincense, White musk, Labdanum, Ambergris

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 19.09.2020.

The scent was originally labeled as Eau de Parfum. In 2017, it was reclassified to Extrait de Parfum in accordance with the actual perfume oil concentration of 20%.

Plum rose chypre
Very reminiscent of Mitsouko—but replace the peach with plum, amp up the rose, and swap the cinnamon for saffron. Perfect balance of fresh, green, and rich—thankfully not too sweet or too dry—just right. Beautifully composed with restraint and finesse. My favorite feminine from the line, and one I’d have no problem wearing for myself. Excellent work.
5.5
Yharnam79
This nightingale traps once quite loudly...
...you can quickly pull your head back at the first sniffer.
Even after the obligatory waiting minutes, "Nightingale" is unfortunately not my kind of scent at all and for the very first time in my career as a zoologist, I cannot make any connection to the animal embodied with the scent.
Much too steamhammer-like, the pale pink liquid suddenly bangs an unexpected flood of bitter soap, smoke and bitter-sour flowers around your ears. Then there's this candy smell - a mixture of ahoy shower and these colourful chains with the edible pearls on them...
The flowers here are, as already indicated, neither flowery in the original sense nor do they give Nightingale something more delicate and fiiligrane. The flowers are so rolled in (Weih-)Rauch and Oud (?) that they smell sharp, almost like spices. Overall, the prelude is smoky and sharp.
Once the scent has settled down, I leave only this soap note with something citric (which will probably be the lemon) behind. And even that doesn't really knock me out.
Altogether this nightingale is much too loud and massive for me. The fragrance is certainly refined and, as Zoologist is accustomed to, it is a fragrance experience. I just don't like him. I find the soapy part too dominant and partly already unpleasant. The smoky and tart notes create a contrast, but I don't want it to fit into the whole picture. It seems as if these two parts "lie on top of each other". Each for himself.
I don't know, maybe my expectation was too high or just wrong. I had imagined a rather delicate, airy scent under Nightingale. But for my smelling senses, he's not that at all. But also apart from the missing connection to the nightingale, also as scent of another line with another name I could get something from it here only very limited.
Also the attempt to give the sample to a friend ended with the sentence confirming my opinion: "That's how 20 Pfennig soaps smelled in the GDR at that time".

The little night singer
Sunset. The sky is deep red and a lukewarm breeze blows through the garden as the sun slowly sinks to the horizon. Through the window the view falls into the garden. The treetops rustle, while some leaves slowly fall to the ground and the flowers sway in the wind. Bird song sounds from the background. An atmospheric song reaches the ears, tempting and catchy, gentle and familiar. A nightingale approaches and flies towards the window. She sits down on a nearby branch and opens the beak...

At first I smell a lot of lemon. It is a pleasant, warm citrus flavor for the cold autumn and winter days. The aromatic, appealing scent spreads quickly and evenly, before it becomes increasingly powdery and comes along with a pleasant floral sweetness. The scent is delicate and fragile, but at the same time it offers an expressive performance. The base is cozy and soothing, despite the distinctive woody and oriental components, as the ever-present mixture of lemon and flowers continuously floats above it all.
The scent is complex and interwoven like the song of a nightingale. The sounds form a song that can enchant and envelop the wearer with ease. The long-lasting perceptibility of the scent has a very positive effect, as it keeps attracting attention over and over again and on top of that smells good at every stage. I do not consider Nightingale to be a heavy fragrance, as it never goes to my head. However, it is very rich and voluminous, but with the necessary degree of restraint for optimum comfort.
I did not have any special expectation or idea of ??how the scent would smell before, but the moment I sprayed it, I realized somehow that I would like it. And so it has turned out, after extensive testing, that personally, Nightingale is the perfect complement to Hummingbird. While I can wear the latter wonderfully in spring and summer, Zoologist now provided me with a complementary scent for autumn and winter.

A Beautiful History
At this point of the game, I see Zoologist Perfumes amongst the best of what the independent perfumery can offer. To me, the brand creator’s curator work resembles Frederic Malle’s. The difference is that Victor Wong brings into his brand the best of the indie perfumers that today are in the forefront of what fragrance has to provide in terms of quality and creativity. In addition, Victor and the perfumers also focus on bringing back the charm of a good story that a perfume can tell, something that today has been pushed aside to give focus to the storytelling (partly true) of the quality and nobility of the materials from which certain perfumes are made.

Nightingale is the debut of the Japanese perfumer Tomoo Inaba. On the website of the brand, you can understand a little more about Tomoo's background, a self-taught perfumer, a merchant of perfumery materials and a person that is passionate about writing on perfumes and the charms of the fragrances from the past. Tomoo Inaba says that Nightingale is inspired by the arrival of spring, the flowering plum trees and the songs of nightingales. It's also dedicated to a poem composed by one of the sisters of the Empress Fujiwara in Kenshi after she renounced her royal life to become a Buddhist nun. His sister gave her as a gift a rosary made of agarwood in a box decorated with plum blossom. Initially one of the creations made for his personal use only, Tomoo worked with Victor to launch it within the Zoologist line.

The first thing I realize as I apply Nightingale on the skin is that in fact this is a special and poetic perfume. A complex and remarkable composition, where its history is not just a mere excuse to fill a bottle with an empty aroma. Nightingale announces in fact the spring, but not as many perfumes do in an apathetic fashion. It represents for me the blossoming of life that spring seems to bring, with aromas connecting with the soul. And that is brought to the combination of the sacred and noble sides of oud wood, which does not steal the scene and is within the context of a mysterious classic chypre.

I do not know how Tomoo Inaba was inspired, but its creation immediately brings me to one of the most iconic perfumes of the history of perfumery, Shiseido’s Nombre Noire. The elegance and contrast of a sober and dry chypre base versus the beauty of the rose are revived here in a complex floral context that emulates the saturated air of spring. I find beautiful that the plums portrayed here have a white colored floral while there is a juiciness and a semisweet touch, which match the contrast of the aroma and taste of a plum.

And what about the base? Sober, dense, but with a kind of harmony and comfort that only years of practice allow you to reach. The combinatoin of moss with agarwood, sandalwood and even iris and musk undertones creates the feeling of a sacred wood, a beauty that seems to bring with it an aura of peace. It is a fantastic way to end a scent that is full of life. It's the kind of creation that simply inspires me to write. It's hard for me to control the words, because there is something special that deserves to be highlighted and honored. Certainly a masterpiece.

MSCRomanMSCRoman 158 days ago
This is lovely, and beautifully made, but the saffron and I are not getting along. I'm glad I sampled it, but I won't be getting a bottle.
ToreterToreter 2 years ago
Strong sweet red rose start with lemon back , evolves to rose+plum+iris(powder) soapy scent. A+ project& longevity. Too femenin. A+ quality.

Vogelfutter alle
by ChatonNoir
by LadyViolet
by LadyViolet

Popular Zoologist

Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Dodo (2019) by Zoologist Bat (2020) by Zoologist Panda (2014) by Zoologist