Panda 2017

Version from 2017
Panda (2017) by Zoologist
Panda (2017) is a perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is green-fruity. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesAppleApple
Base Notes Base NotesCivetCivet
MuskMusk
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 05.10.2021.

A cute little animal
The last stop of my zoo visit is to the pandas. The bears live here in an outdoor enclosure.

Right when I arrive, a fresh, sweet apple smell hits my nose. It is indeed coming from a large pile of apples spread out in the enclosure, which they are gleefully feasting on. In the wild, pandas eat mostly bamboo. But in captivity, they are also very fond of fruits like apples.

Besides the smell of apples, it smells like damp earth. On the other hand, I hardly notice the animals' own smell. I watch them eat for a while and admire their cute faces. Then I make my way home.

Panda (2017) is so far the most pleasing of the Zoologists I've tested. It starts off fruity and green with a dominant apple. It's not quite my cup of tea. Not that I don't like it. I find it rather unspectacular.

With time, the earthy notes then set in with, which give the whole yet a more interesting touch. This fragrance is missing, however, in contrast to the other zoologists tested by me, completely at Animalik. Although civet is listed as a fragrance note, but it does not really noticeable.

If someone were to ask me for a starter scent from the Zoologist series, I would recommend Panda (2017). Especially since the durability is good. The sillage could be a little better.
Green Panda
This panda is not black and white but rather green and black. A really great and special fragrance that only need 1min to unfold great. The first spray startled me but after the good minute it shows its green power! He smells nice and fresh and green but different than most fragrances that you know so!
Stump Schmu Panda
After our beloved rabbit Schnuckel had to die this morning after a short illness at the proud age of almost 10 years, leaving us extremely sad and empty, a "zoologist" named "Rabbit" would be a better homage - but unfortunately there is no such person and I think our little darling would have been satisfied with my favourite animal, the "Panda". Especially because our faithful long-eared companion noticed very well that I am interested in scents, that I often smell differently and sometimes he even indirectly expressed his opinion by becoming (even) more affectionate or keeping a rather sceptical distance.
How do you think he would have turned up his nose at the panda? Unfortunately I won't find out anymore, I miss him already massively and can only remember the countless wonderful moments with him. What a gentle soul... :(

And, of course, tell you what I think of the panda. Because a little distraction is good for you right now. Unfortunately, I think there are more pleasant scents to associate with the anniversary of our rabbit's death. Especially because I had rather high expectations of this greenling...

The previous 2014 version of the black and white fan favorite is (unfortunately) not known to me. But bamboo-like is almost nothing with this new formula. The "Panda" from 2017 is a soapy-sweet bullet. Slushy and mossy, grippy and rich in texture, slippery and sweaty. Most likely a jasmine-vanilla scent when the popping apple has settled. And that's not my thing at all, that only increases the pressure on the head even more today. "Panda" does not suit me. No matter how much I admire the animals and how much I would have liked to say goodbye to Schnuckel with a tasty scent. Maybe one of the zoologists will read along and we will design a special scent "Rabbit/Schnuckel" for this special being?! ;-) "Panda" is in any case one of her weaker designs.

Flacon: radiant green, clear lines.
Sillage: potent - despite all their charm and sugar pandas remain bears...
Shelf life: sticky and foggy - coats slowly to the 9 hours

Conclusion: I would have wished for a finer, less clumsy scent for my favourite animal. Yesterday it was rather the beautiful "Koala" that took over. "Panda" is a candied green apple with signs of migraine and a turgid jungle factor. High humidity, low tolerance. Rather soapy fougere than sweet animalic. For fans of "Sung Homme" for example.

Clean Musky Green
Panda is what I’d imagine a hospital ran by and specifically only taking Panda patients would smell like. A bamboo building in a forest with dirt floors, a slight musk but with a strong, almost like a chemical sterilizer, note of green apple, that brings a cleanliness and freshness to the table. As would be expected of the level of clean required for a hospital to function. Even though I’ve used bamboo a lot in my description, there isn’t actually a bamboo note listed in this fragrance (there was one in the old formulation), it just really gives off the vibe of a fresh cut, bamboo stalk as one of the notes. Though this is probably just an accord created by some of the other notes within Panda. Whatever the case may be this is a wonderful and creative green scent that I really enjoy putting my nose to, but it’s definitely not for everyone, so remember to try before you buy.

Panda (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• ZOOLOGIST PANDA •

This impression is for the Extrait de Parfum that was released in 2017; I haven't tried the original Eau de Parfum, but from what I've heard they are quite different. The first thing that hit me when I sprayed Panda on my skin was the musk. Yes, it is fresh, fruity and green, but it's also very bitter. I doubt the bitterness is really noticable from a distance and it does fade after a while, but when smelled up close, there's an earthy, dirty scent underneath the freshness, that might put some people off. The civet note probably has some say in this as well. Aside from that, this should actually be a crowd pleasing fragrance. Apple is the main note here for me in the first hour, combined with some light florals that I wouldn't be able to distinguish. There's a hint of sweetness to the fruitiness as well, that reminded me of the sweetness that you can get from pineapple. I honestly don't get the tea note at all, which was a bit disappointing.

Longevity is good, but projection is really impressive, especially since the scent overall is light and ozonic. I enjoy the opening, but I'm not completely sold yet on drydown. The freshness of the fruits fades away and it leaves a (still relatively fresh) vegetal, floral and slightly earthy scent, with a healthy dose of sweetness. At the same time seems very aquatic or just plainly 'wet'. One thing I will say; this smells exactly how I would imagine (a panda eating) fruits in a sunny, damp tropical forest would smell. Now if you have a garden or a little greenhouse that smells like this, that would be awesome. It smells great, but I don't know if I like it as a perfume as much. In the drydown I oscillated between getting pleasant wafts and not being sure how I felt. When I woke up the next morning, the scent was still clearly present on my arm and I think I enjoyed the more subdued fragrance a bit more •

Please follow my IG @Nose.Knows.No.Notes for more reviews and fragrance photography.

Sweet green roots
Surprised to hear this one is often deemed the house’s friendliest composition. Personally, I find the contrast of damp sweetness and bitter earthy greenness slightly off-putting. I had similar issues with Saint Julep, but this is still way smoother and less chemical. Perhaps if the composition was slightly less sweet, I’d better appreciate the lovely, tender green notes—like fresh baby bamboo shoots emerging from the soil. Admirable work, but not something I’d personally reach for.

Syzygy73Syzygy73 2 years ago
Floral and green with a light earthy muskiness in between. This is pleasant to wear but there’s nothing particularly interesting about it.
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
The opening is a promising combo of feminine leaning apple, magnolia and osmanthus but it becomes too earthy and weird on the dry down.
VerbenaVerbena 4 years ago
What once was a unique character has been finally drowned in a painful mainstream tragedy. What a pity, Zoologist, what a pity indeed.

by X57deadsoulx
by Venomrock101
by Stere
by Stere

Popular Zoologist

Bee by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Dragonfly (2017) by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Musk Deer by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Macaque (2016) by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Chipmunk by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Snowy Owl by Zoologist