Panda (2017)

Version from 2017
Panda (2017) by Zoologist

Panda (2017) is a popular perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is green-fruity. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesApple, Magnolia, Mandarin, Lily, Osmanthus, Ozone, Tea
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmber, Bamboo, Earthy notes, Jasmine, Iris, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesCivet, Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 01.03.2020.

Panda (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• ZOOLOGIST PANDA •

This impression is for the Extrait de Parfum that was released in 2017; I haven't tried the original Eau de Parfum, but from what I've heard they are quite different. The first thing that hit me when I sprayed Panda on my skin was the musk. Yes, it is fresh, fruity and green, but it's also very bitter. I doubt the bitterness is really noticable from a distance and it does fade after a while, but when smelled up close, there's an earthy, dirty scent underneath the freshness, that might put some people off. The civet note probably has some say in this as well. Aside from that, this should actually be a crowd pleasing fragrance. Apple is the main note here for me in the first hour, combined with some light florals that I wouldn't be able to distinguish. There's a hint of sweetness to the fruitiness as well, that reminded me of the sweetness that you can get from pineapple. I honestly don't get the tea note at all, which was a bit disappointing.

Longevity is good, but projection is really impressive, especially since the scent overall is light and ozonic. I enjoy the opening, but I'm not completely sold yet on drydown. The freshness of the fruits fades away and it leaves a (still relatively fresh) vegetal, floral and slightly earthy scent, with a healthy dose of sweetness. At the same time seems very aquatic or just plainly 'wet'. One thing I will say; this smells exactly how I would imagine (a panda eating) fruits in a sunny, damp tropical forest would smell. Now if you have a garden or a little greenhouse that smells like this, that would be awesome. It smells great, but I don't know if I like it as a perfume as much. In the drydown I oscillated between getting pleasant wafts and not being sure how I felt. When I woke up the next morning, the scent was still clearly present on my arm and I think I enjoyed the more subdued fragrance a bit more •

Please follow my IG @Nose.Knows.No.Notes for more reviews and fragrance photography.
6.0

Sweet green roots
Surprised to hear this one is often deemed the house’s friendliest composition. Personally, I find the contrast of damp sweetness and bitter earthy greenness slightly off-putting. I had similar issues with Saint Julep, but this is still way smoother and less chemical. Perhaps if the composition was slightly less sweet, I’d better appreciate the lovely, tender green notes—like fresh baby bamboo shoots emerging from the soil. Admirable work, but not something I’d personally reach for.

Itchynose 11 months ago
The opening is a promising combo of feminine leaning apple, magnolia and osmanthus but it becomes too earthy and weird on the dry down.
Verbena 3 years ago
What once was a unique character has been finally drowned in a painful mainstream tragedy. What a pity, Zoologist, what a pity indeed.

by GewoonBB
by GewoonBB

Popular Zoologist

Camel by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Rhinoceros by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Dodo by Zoologist Panda (2014) by Zoologist Hyrax by Zoologist Beaver (2014) by Zoologist Bat (2020) by Zoologist