Tyrannosaurus Rex 2018

Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist
Tyrannosaurus Rex is a perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is smoky-resinous. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Antonio Gardoni

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot Black pepperBlack pepper FirFir Bay leafBay leaf NeroliNeroli NutmegNutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesChampaca flowerChampaca flower GeraniumGeranium JasmineJasmine OsmanthusOsmanthus RoseRose Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesResinsResins Canary Islands juniperCanary Islands juniper CedarCedar CivetCivet FrankincenseFrankincense LeatherLeather PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 06.05.2022.

GreenfaerieGreenfaerie 3 years ago
I'm so impressed with this! Regardless of whether I like it or not, it totally captures the scent of hot, dry, red rocks and bizarre flowering plants in odd colors....
PMRP12PMRP12 3 years ago
My last sample, like my first, opens with a bang—in this case, a meteoric apocalypse. This one smells like chaos and destruction—a burning forest of charred carbon....
Schallhoerer
A maelstrom of smoke, earth and blood
Zoologist as a brand could not convince me so far. The niche house with a focus on fragrances of animals and their environment has many unique fragrances in the portfolio, but none of them was really wearable (see my review of the new Rhinoceros). With the Tyrannosaurus Rex, however, the brand has succeeded in creating an epochal masterpiece in the olfactory sense.

Who knows me, who knows that I like it a little more extreme. Be it smoky, dirty or particularly leathery. A fragrance must set a statement for me. It is not enough for me personally, just clean and smell like fresh laundry.

In the opening we have a pungent smoke note, which smells absolutely authentic in its kind of burning campfire. I think that here the fir and the bay leaf in interaction with the pepper create this impression. In general, I find it very difficult to separate the individual "rock layers" in Tyrannosaurus Rex. Where this bothers me in other fragrances because it often seems like a mishmash of scents, in this case I really feel it's an artifice. The individual ingredients are so perfectly interwoven that you can recognize them with a lot of patience and a good nose, but when smelling superficially rather wins an overall impression and easily loses track. Who likes, for example, the smoke from № 03 - Lonestar Memories, which will almost certainly also come here to his taste.

As it progresses, the smoke then retreats somewhat into the background and leaves room for the heart note to unfold. As the fragrance pyramid to infer, this phase of the fragrance seems floral-angehaucht. To me, though, it's more like all these plants are hanging upside down and are already past their "prime". This slightly floral-herbaceous phase then gives way to the basic DNA of the fragrance of resins, the still monothematic smoke in the background and very late towards the end a minimal touch of sweetness.

Sweetness is an interesting keyword here. So far, an excessive sweetness has bothered me in many tested Zoologist fragrances. That was the case with the Musk Deer (which would otherwise have been very nice), of course, the Bee (which for this perfectly implements the theme of its fragrance) or even the Snowy Owl (which in my opinion but completely misses the point). Here, though, in the Tyrannosaurus Rex, I'm grateful for that minimal sweetness. It takes away some of the fragrance's brute force in the late drydown and lets it fade out more relaxed.

I then get quite a strange association in the later part of the fragrance. Here smells the Tyrannosaurus Rex then in places like WICK VapoRub, so this ointment with which you rub at night if you have a cold or the feeling to get sick. Probably this association comes from the resins in the scent. I, in any case, find this phase insanely pleasant and soothing, which may sound somewhat blasphemous with a brute elemental force in the form of this fragrance.

The durability sets new standards here, by the way. With a spray (more I would also not recommend anyone) I come without problems on 16h and even longer. Even after a thorough shower, I could still perceive the basic character of the fragrance the next morning. On clothes, the scent lasts over a week. This is therefore not an office fragrance (unless you have a single office) and certainly not a fragrance for dates and if, then rather as a stress test. I also don't see the scent on a woman. That's not meant to sound chauvinistic or macho, but I don't know any woman on this planet that I could imagine this scent on. This is an absolutely brute masculine fragrance that needs to be worn by men who are also aware that they are men. What this fragrance exudes, the wearer must also exude. Otherwise, it looks like a disguise

Unique
Zeer bijzonder geur.
Iedere keer iets anders.
Na het wennen, aan rokerigheid, best aangenaam en mooi.
In het begin ruikte ik alleen bosbrand geur, met Rex erin ))
Mij eerste gedachte was, of het teggen de muggen effectief zou zijn. Daarna zijn bloemen gekomen. Mooie bloemen, een beetje gebrandt.
Tweede/derde gebruik, mij indruk - het is prachtig parfum ?. Ik ruik wierlook, mooie bloemen, groen, zoet.
In het kort - zoet met rokerige balsamachtige noten.
Ideaal voor iemand, wie iets anders wilt. Op de huid van mij partner, en van mij dochter - ruikt hij helemaal anders dan op die van mij. Mij partner vindt het geweldige geur. Gezien hij geen niche liefhebber is, ben ik verbaast.
Het parfum blijft lang hangen, en, zoals ik al gezegd heb, iedere keer bij het gebruik iets anders is. Ben blij dat ik hem in mij collectie heb.

Very special scent.
Something different every time.
After getting used to, to smokiness, quite pleasant and beautiful.
In the beginning I only smelled forest fire smell, with Rex in it ))
My first thought was whether it would be effective against the mosquitoes. Then flowers came. Beautiful flowers, a little roasted.
Second/third use, I am impressed - it is beautiful perfume ?. I smell seaweed, beautiful flowers, green, sweet.
In short - sweet with smoky balsamic notes.
Ideal for someone who wants something different. On my partner's skin, and on my daughter's - it smells completely different from mine. My partner thinks it's a great scent. Considering he's not a niche enthusiast, I'm surprised.
The perfume lingers for a long time, and, as I said, slightly different each time you use it. I'm glad I have it in my collection.
First zoologist
After all the interesting reviews and descriptions had my first Zoologist here, and that was the T-Rex. To be honest I imagined it to be a bit more positive in terms of scent but damn many people really hit the nail on the head! The first few seconds it just smells like ash, not like Amouage Interlude or Midnight Oud but like something brutally torched, something cruel. After that, it becomes very leathery and the leather also remains until the end sometimes more present sometimes less. The smoky becomes slightly less and green notes start to come in. The green is also not that it breathes life in, no it brings just so dead and ruin. I find the main part has a striking resemblance to Guerlain Cuir Intense. Only that the nasty oily accord is not there. My points I give also only because it is really an art to convert the title so well into a smell but my taste is it absolutely not although I like so exceptionally many smells. The price is for me with 200€ approx. absolutely not justified in my opinion. The fragrance is also damn hard to wear, I've never had something like that ... If anyone is interested in the perfume, please test first time a sample on no account a blind buy I can only put to the heart :))
DonDonDon
Cold, empty metal ashtray at the bottom of the flower absolute tub - parfait!
When I quit smoking, one method of several that helped was to bring a full ashtray to your nose when you had a strong craving and then, very slowly and deliberately, smell it. The smell of the cold ashes and condensate was so disgusting that the acute desire to smoke was immediately relieved.

This introduction is, admittedly, rather misleading for a description of T-Rex. After all, the great Saurus doesn't actually have anything in mind with full ashtrays, at most those that have fallen into a pool full of fresh floral absolutes. Tobacco also seems rather out of place as an olfactory description, so, you might ask, what now? I'll get to that in a moment.

First, I must preface the compliment that I experience this creation as an indescribable fascination. There has perhaps been mixed from components something, which one - individually and for itself - could always clearly name and assign. The result, however, is clearly far more violent than the sum of its parts and something completely different from anything I have been privileged to know so far. Such a violent feeling of ambiguity as to what has probably been conflated here in terms of content is something I have experienced, with simultaneous enthusiasm and great emotion, only last with Stercus, and that was quite a while and several dozen rehearsals ago (technical side note: Stercus is not similar, I mention him only because he occupied my mind to a similar degree).

And by now, he's got me all hooked up, the T-Rex. But right. Today I thought for the umpteenth time, he's clearly a candidate for a positive write-up, he deserves it, he's unquestionably a great one, though probably to few. And as I've done so many times before, I pulled off the lid of my sample and sniffed full of favor, only to be struck once again with the impression that what my nose is perceiving is, linguistically, inadequate at best.

So, with that in mind, and at the same time as if I'd been given it as an assignment by an outside person, I sat down again in peace (but in peace, alone in the room, no appointments, no noises, no disturbances), held the sample up to my nose, and inhaled slowly, nostrils flared, but without "looking" ... soberly, so to speak, and without intention, haste, or goal. And suddenly there it was, that metal ashtray, poured out but uncleaned, less as a smell, more as a visual association. And above it, lots and lots of floral essence, heavy, concentrated, like clumps of lilies in a hermetically sealed smokehouse. That was the image, although neither cold ash nor lily are recognizable as such. But quite a lot of intermediate tones from these spheres.

Some reader*in will now say that I have broken me here in the attempt to put my feelings and perceptions into words, quite a broken one. Is yes right. But just so it had to come out. The T-Rex, in all its heaviness, ambivalence and uncompromisingness, has actually become one of my favorites. And that circle is very, very small. Of course, I unquestionably have a tit, a big one at that. But when T-Rex comes on in the morning, it sings songs by Roy Orbison.

What more can I say? Thank you for that scent, Zoologist. Someone had a big heart for exotics, if only those with money in their pockets. Anyway, a sample always goes.
Unique
The Zoologist line is very unique per se with the similarities to animal scents. You might think that you would never want to smell like a dinosaur or a camel etc.. But only when you let this fragrance melt on your skin, you realize that with time you really don't smell like a dinosaur but the fragrance is very special.

The first splash I must admit was really hard and much too strong, almost bitter. However, with time, the scent has developed very much in the direction of incense and resins!

2-3 spritzes are enough loooooocker.
Very difficult...
... it falls to me to describe this fragrance, but nevertheless I would like to dare the attempt my thoughts and feelings to describe.
One thing in advance: The T-Rex is one of the most violent scents that my nose ever got to smell. The second most violent also comes from the collection Zoologist, but a little later.
I became aware of this extraordinary creation through my father.
Without having read the reviews du Parfumo, I expected from Tyrannosaurus Rex a smoky resinous fragrance.
Now for the reality: a spray on the back of my hand and my expectations were exceeded several times. My father smelled blood from it, with me it was something else: I imagine the scene from the movie King-Kong, where they crash with the helicopter in a jungle, the fire prepares from the crashed helicopter to the surrounding trees, grass and earth. The leather in the base could be that of the helicopter's high quality leather seats, as well as the smoke from the burnt damp wood and the metallic from the still glowing remains of the helicopter.
Although I really like the scent of a rose, I couldn't for the life of me smell it out in this creation. What I could clearly perceive is cedar, cedar juniper, fir and later incense.
For me, I feel the T-Rex as unwearable and unfortunately also very unpleasant, I would also honestly not know to what occasion you could wear this. Certain brutality has the T-Rex, which I (now I want to briefly mention the second heaviest fragrance of Zoologist) perceive in Rhinoceros in a different way and with me other thoughts, images and feelings come up.

I have the utmost respect for those who actually wear this perfume daily and find it fragrant.

I wish all readers who embark on a journey of exploration with the Tyrannosaurus Rex to gather the most diverse experiences, associations, memories and feelings and maybe one or the other will have the same association or similar as I did.

Stay healthy and great!
He smells like my dad
Attention It becomes VERY personal and not quite pleasant. Harmony-needy please do not read on from here.

On the one hand difficult, LOUD, DANGEROUS and unbearable on the other hand he is CONSISTENT and ALWAYS there when you need him. There at least there is a harmonious aspect, unzwar the scent / smell with the personality. As a kid, I certainly didn't have an easy time growing up with a TyRex. Mainly because I would describe myself more as a Hummingbird from the Zoologist series. Until one day I learned how to fly :) However, what the two definitely have in common is that they are both reptiles and you have a hard time getting one or the other of them broken. Which again, applies to both scents. Surprising how, the one, the other does not exclude *smile*.

How does it happen that someone naturally smells like that?

My dad is actually so everything a person can be when you grow up in nature. Self-supporter, gardener, mezger, hunter, baker, forester, collector, farmer.... ...just everything :D In the house we still heat with wood and much of what we eat comes from our own cultivation, breeding. When he comes back after a long day on the tractor gate from the harvest or from sawing, then a wiff of resins, wood, animal notes, engine oil, leather from the tractor seat, blood, sweat, leaves forest herbs, pine needles, flowers and so infinitely indescribable many other things comes towards me. And since every day with wood is gehizt and in the summer much grilled, very, very much smoke.

The surroundings: lots of forest, mountains, animals, few people, harsh people.

My opinion of the fragrance:

I can understand if people do not like him. *Also again so blatant in line with the person XD*
I know him just already so well and for me he makes sense, I have him Quasi seen through.
He is who he is and that's fine.
I wonder if I'll ever want to wear it on my skin myself? WHO KNOWS? Maybe when I pay another visit to the village and sit around the campfire, I don't think he'll make any difference anyway. Judging by the comments, it stays quite a long time and it smells like that on paper.

I think it's funny and awesome to see the comments and how people spray this scent on themselves to smell just like this. LOVES IT!!!!
Fear of the giants
Before I had tested this fragrance, I had to read through the comments here first and I was honestly afraid after what I probably meets there at monsters.

So a careful spray on the back of the hand and then it went directly, the sillage is overwhelming, it comes a fresh spicy scent, association to forest, probably rather primeval forest come directly on. It has something wild, fresh, fruity, herbaceous. I am first what overtaxed but nevertheless the opening is very very beautiful if one has understood and accepts these 2 stages, the Erzgebirger smoking man and the spice cupboard, which are set off at the beginning from each other and are not mixed. It becomes from schnupperer to schnupperer immmer more floral. So I got through the volcano with tough and temperature-resistant herbal plants as well as bubbling lava and burning wood into the magical realm of the dinosaurs. I am confronted with really beautiful flower chords that have nothing romantic but adventurous and untouched. To make a short excursion from the analogy of the primeval giants. So I imagine the few untouched treasures of our planet, the rainforest in which fortunately no poacher invaded. Sweet, strong, floral and somehow biting dangerous.
But now back to our primeval giants.
I stroll through these seas of flowers and come slowly into the hard woods pure, me entgegenen earthier notes, it comes through the woods and exiting tree resins clearly and thus ends the exceedingly long excursion into the realm of giants. The durability is really huge. You won't get rid of the scent that quickly and I'm not sure yet if I want to wear it in the urban jungle, rather do one or 2 spritzes on the neck. My usual 5 would be here really a monster and I can not do that to my fellow man.

Nice interesting scent. Was my number 1 from the 20s Zoologist sample set. So more comments and statements to come. Thanks again for this, @Leimbacher, has now already been worth it :D
Performance Beast
A pleasantly burnt, smoky-leathery, slightly metallic, dark berry, ultra-masculine scent with the fiercest Beast performance I've ever experienced. One spray lasts longer than a day. Awesome!
1.5
Hideous beast
Scent:
I've never tested a fragrance I found so horrible. Immediately, a chemical-like, pungent sharpness rises into the nose, which smells so disgusting to me; like cigarette residues with corrosive substances. But behind this scent there are still some small but at least pleasant floral notes, from which I have to turn away immediately. Each of my three tests stank horribly for me and I felt slightly nauseous.

After a few minutes I couldn't stand this monster anymore and I had to wash down the perfume splash - and it was only one - again with soap. At that moment it felt like a recovery from a nightmare. I think the scent is so bad, you could use it as a torture device without any fun.

And I find the ingredients of the fragrance to be of high quality as well.

H+S:
A splash of perfume can already be felt very strongly and almost knocks me over. Even the finger with which I triggered the atomizer already smelled of the stuff. Although I can't stand the stench for long, I imagine an excellent durability for it.

Flacon:
This one looks very stylish in the pictures. I like all the animals of the zoologist-en very much.
All in all, this fragrance has impressed me so much (negatively) that I am writing my first comment on Parfumo here.

ValentinTValentinT 4 months ago
Dirt, fire, flowers and a piece of leather on top of hard stone. Monstrous performance and sillage. Original and ultra masculine.
ZerkaloZerkalo 8 months ago
T-Rex:"I am death, the destroyer of worlds. But don't worry - smile, we have some flowers to the burials."
Asteroid:"Someone hold my beer".
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
A complex dusty leathery, yet challenging and smoky, floral earthy-woody Winter fragrance, with a pungent spicy/animalic dark green opening.
AmberScentAmberScent 3 years ago
Complex, resinous, dark & smoky! The strong florals contribute for a lesser animalic & earthy footprint. This lord dino really pleases me.

by Kovex
by SmellGoodGuy
by Arimana
by Arimana

Popular by Zoologist

Bee by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Dragonfly (2017) by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Musk Deer by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Chipmunk by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Macaque (2016) by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Snowy Owl by Zoologist