Tyrannosaurus Rex (2018)

Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist

Tyrannosaurus Rex is a new perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is resinous-smoky. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Antonio Gardoni

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Black pepper, Fir, Bay leaf, Neroli, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesChampaca flower, Geranium, Jasmine, Osmanthus, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesResins, Prickly cedar, Cedar, Civet, Frankincense, Leather, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 17.08.2019

4.0/10

Smoky herb ash
My last sample, like my first, opens with a bang—in this case, a meteoric apocalypse. This one smells like chaos and destruction—a burning forest of charred carbon. I get whiffs of the burnt laurel notes in Interlude Man, but without any of the resin sweetness that brings relief. This one is challenging for me, but there are tiny remnants of rich incense amidst the charcoal that keep me hunting for more. I imagine smokers (or fans of smoke) would adore this. Definitely not for me, but thankful for the experience.
10.0 9.0 10.0 9.0/10

Beastly? Don't. Don't.
I must honestly say that after reading some comments on Zoologist's Tyrannosaurus Rex, God knows what a punch on the nose I expected. And bloodshed, burning palm trees and rising clouds of smoke. The whole apocalyptic program of prehistory. Well, it's not like that. Yes, the palm trees are burning. Yes, the clouds of smoke are rising. But there's no blood yet. In fact, this fragrance is the best and most interesting thing that has come under my nose so far - so much in advance.

The fragrance starts off unusually intriguing. Hardly tangible, what is firing at the same time and room filling. I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. Sweet, hot, smoke, tar. Immediately I wanted more, and more, and still a little more, in order to get in completely and safely.

For me it starts with white smoke: typical post-campfire smell, fading embers, forest air. At the same time a discreetly composed sweetness unfolds, so that the perception begins to jump back and forth: Smoke/Sweet/Smoke/Sweet - a pretty exciting thing. I liked that.

After some time, the smoky notes give way to finer nuances: pleasantly moderate metallic notes, lasting sweetness and incense. All quite bearable, but dynamic. Much more exciting than Zoologist's Camel, who had turned himself on my skin into a sticky heavy, homogeneous sweet mass of the old muff school and couldn't be washed off. Tyrannosaurus Rex is really much more detailed, more differentiated and yes, also more carefree.

I cannot say whether the fragrance is really suitable for everyday use, it is certainly not completely harmless. In opposition to send clothes - yes, sure thing, the game of opposites halt. Uncombed in a suit, yes! I wouldn't camp with it - who would take their own firewood with them when they go into the forest?
Urban is the T-Rex for me in any case, and there I would not greatly question what with what, and if, and at all. To go out? Yes. Office? No. Man needs less office, more forest. More smoke!
9.0 9.0 10.0 8.0/10

Chief Detective T-Rex appears at scene of crime
I had just written a statement, but I have to comment on it. Not much for smoky odors. This one used to be in a souk shop. I finally got a splash on my wrist today and don't think it's as bad as many people see it here.

The beginning? I can't bear it. Bizarrely stinking, burning carcasses. Here it's just eyes closed and through. The animals at the scene are ablaze. What then comes pleases me. The smell of dinosaurs diminishes and incense becomes more and more important. The animals are extinguished and the scent becomes portable. The scratching smoke always remains in the foreground, but is backed with pleasant leather and vanilla. I never notice flowers or roses. If you are looking for a pleasantly scratching smoker and are prepared to accept a short-term, severe smell, you will be rewarded. The base goes slightly in the direction of Atkinsons - His Majesty the Oud.

See the T-Rex on men. Durability and Sillage above average. That leaves only the occasion. But fans of smoky scents will know what they're doing. You do attract attention with it. And definitely the wearer needs to be groomed. Office/everyday life by no means. Maybe with a suit to the opera?

I find the self-confident detective superintendent as a dinosaur on the flacon very suitable in any case.
8.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

SmellGoodGuy
Reserved only for a distinguished & sophisticated, gentleman unconcerned with the banalities of the masses...
I’m currently wearing this and it’s really my first time as I only priorly smelled it through a spritzed strip.

To get to the point: best scent I own. There’s no doubt in my mind that most people who wrote a negative review about this did NOT try it on. If only sprayed on paper, you can walk away with the impression that it’s too camphorous to wear. On skin: absolutely wonderful.

Though not overbearing, the sandalwood, jasmine and frankincense are the backbone to the scent in that, out of all the notes, they play a larger role in making it stand as a wearable fragrance.

The vanilla and rose are only there to both calm it and tie everything together and never comes through as distinguishable, at least to me.

EXTRA beastmode. Do NOT spray on clothes....you've been warned. Primarily inside: 1 and done. Outside: 3 and let it be.

All and all, I'm super happy that I purchased this. A five star scent if ever there were one. It may very well be the best (not the prettiest) scent I own or smelled...maybe
6.0 9.0 10.0 9.0/10

MGO
I'm a tough guy and that's a good thing!
Tyrannosaurus Rex is a fragrance that lives up to its name.

I love scents that cross the border and I stand by them.
Through a dear perfume, Caligari, I came to test this extraordinary perfume.
While many users find it difficult to classify such a fragrance as a perfume, I like the idea of bringing together the seemingly impossible as a fragrance concept.
If you use T-Rex rather sparingly, you will enjoy a reminiscence of the tar machine of the early 60s at the beginning. Why does this fragrance remind me of that?

I'm maybe 5 years old and roaming the village. Pure hot asphalt is applied to the road and I enjoy real liquorice I bought in small pieces for a few pennies in the savings shop.
Nobody in my family wanted that liquorice, and neither did my friends. I still love her today. Strong, austere and yet aromatic, just like the tar smell of the time. Today it doesn't smell so good for me on tar machines. Probably because some of the harmful substances are on the list of banned ingredients.

After sniffing the tar I took tree resin from my grandmother's cherry tree and played with it. Sticky and sweetish, at the same time a little woody, resinous and smelling of turpentine.

T-Rex awakens memories in me, pleasant memories and therefore I like him.
Maybe I take it to hours of solitude, because just as my preference for tar and liquorice is not shared by anyone around me, so it can be with this scent.

In the course of time the smoky part increases again and a medical alcohol note brings a little sweetness, animal sweetness.

I constantly have to sniff at the back of my hand, the oily stain attracts me magically.
In short, I like this fragrance and there will be opportunities to wear it with delight. Finally something I don't have to share
6.0 6.0 10.0 10.0/10

T-Rex delivers
I'm so impressed with this! Regardless of whether I like it or not, it totally captures the scent of hot, dry, red rocks and bizarre flowering plants in odd colors. The imagery I get from this is seriously prehistoric and probably not based on reality but on preconceived notions about the dinosaur days based on Hollywood films. The scent is also quite wearable, not weird at all. Dark, spicy, cinnamon-y (laurel is part of the same family as cinnamon). There is a variety of poppy that I have encountered. In fact, i have a photo of me standing in a giant patch of them. They are taller than me, with enormous, paper-like, billowy white flowers, and they have a magnificent scent. T-Rex reminds me of those exact flowers. I don't think they are actually opium poppies, but they certainly smell hypnotic.

There is some incense in T-Rex, though it's very well blended. I could not specifically pick out olibanum (a variety of frankincense), although I would not doubt it's there. While this is not my "usual" style of naturalistic, forest, earthy fragrance...I find it very enticing and hard to forget. Highly recommended to at least sample!
8.0 9.0 9.0 8.0/10

Poor goat...
It is probably not the best idea to choose this carnivore as Zoologist's first test scent... but sometimes you don't choose and it's a matter of chance. Or my inner child who's still attracted to the dinosaurs. I don't know. But I also have a few other fragrances of the eye-catching brand lying here, so the impression of the company is not only determined by this exceptional fragrance. But maybe that wouldn't be so bad, because "Tyrannosaurus Rex" is a giant reptile at the top of the fragrance chain. Almost without natural enemies. Runs out of competition.

The T-Rex would be exactly the kind of perfume I would have yelled at 10 years ago. He overtaxes untrained noses and (above all) men U35 mercilessly. One-million-dollar he eats for brunch. But if you are a little involved with fragrances and the taste of time takes further, more courageous paths, then you enjoy a splitter like this all the more. It's a creaky, oily, resinous carnivore. A ripper of the old school. The very old school. Cretaceous should have been. Fir trees, ferns, soil - no trace of sweetness or flowers at the beginning. Just teeth, blood, sweat and tears. Mostly in variations of green, rather dark. But as time goes by he becomes more gentle and calmer. It never eats out of hands. He'd rather bite your arm off. You can't even call him old-fashioned or macho, he's more of an animal, a cattle, a beast. Animalistic would be an understatement. A scent like a part-time apocalypse. A little restless and chaotic, but he can afford it. Mean and solemn. Makes you afraid. Like a turd on a golden throne. Untouchable. Gucci Guilty Absolute pH, on the other hand, acts like a sheep's milk that is fed to the slaughterhouse.

Flacon: definitely makes a difference in the perfume cupboard - classic meets comic. Only kiddies should be kept away from it... but this applies to the fragrance showcase anyway mostly.
Sillage & durability: a primeval monster that can compete with the largest crushers in the industry. Brushed for riot. For 16 hours. At least.

Conclusion: you need eggs. And a very own taste. Not for virgins or young noses. An aggressive winter monster for fans of Interlude Man or the Slumberhouse bangers. A Tannenbiest in front of the Duftherrn. Smoky and ratty. Got something. And a lot of it. If it's too strong, ...
10.0 9.0 10.0 8.5/10

Prejudiced?
Fortunately, at the beginning I only got to know the hearty fragrances of this brand. With a mixture of extraordinary and dignified design it has at least burnt itself into my subconscious. Since then, every souk offer has been inspected. Only later did I get to know more "moderate" fragrances of the brand. It was already too late, however, to revise my positive prejudices. At some point I knew all the fragrances that were relevant to me, with the exception of the new release Tyrannosaurus Rex. I was pretty sure he wouldn't disappoint me completely, but it was all different...

It may happen once among 50 selected samples that I immediately go onto the bottle without first obtaining a 4-ml filling. Tyrannosaurus Rex was such a case. In reality even more drastic! I only needed a single sprayer from a Mini-TZ and the purchase decision was made.

A little anecdote on the side that just occurred to me: I saw my current car in a brochure and bought the model without ever taking a test drive, let alone sitting in it. Actually, I'm not a spontaneous person at all, but there are situations that are beyond doubt. Love at first sight!

Now the bottle arrived and I couldn't remember the fragrance sooo exactly. It was only the second encounter at all and as a precaution I took only three sprayers. Two on the chest, one in the hair. Then I went to the office. 9:15 meeting.

The smoke is dominant. Somewhat woody, but more the sharper variant, brand of fireplace with a mottled finish. Fortunately it did not remain with this component, which I already appreciated. I can confirm IKENTY's "petrol" allusion, which unfortunately has not yet been taken up here. In addition, from time to time something dark and soft animal-like flashes out or lies as a long pile carpet underneath. The coniferous woods with the corresponding resins mentioned several times here work their way up only after hours (see next paragraph).

But what makes him dangerous about this is its durability. Of the three sprayers from the bottle mentioned above, I can still see now, although since then I have showered twice, washed my hair once and changed my clothes once. If you know me, you know that I put a lot of emphasis on performance, but this one is one of the top 5 I've tested so far. 36 hours after application, it was reactivated so strongly on the skin as well as in the hair that it puts so many fragrances in the shade that had just been applied. Bitchin'! And I am quite honestly surprised at how high the fragrance has already been rated here. It is very, very loud, harsh and from my subjective point of view not suitable for everyday use.

For me this is the fragrance of the year 2018. I am a collector, already have many smoke fragrances and generally keep everything I like. But if you don't need many similar fragrances, but THE ONE from this group, you should start with T-Rex and stop. I can't imagine what else there is to come. He really covers a lot of things. And even stronger would be bodily injury and medically questionable.

The flacon evaluation has always been an annoying exercise for me. I'm not such an outward fan. For me, it's the inner values that count. But here, contrary to my custom, I have to make an exception. Among perhaps 400 bottles that I already had, this is the most beautiful one for me. Simple form, thick, transparent glass (bottom approx. 15 mm!), metal cap with leather (great grip) and just the dignified, modern label. The same applies to the "box", which is noble but not oversized. For me: Perfect! I'd actually buy my own shelf for a series of zoologist flacons.

Hendrikmainz
Whoa, what did that bitch eat?
Thank God the beast is extinct, if it smells that way, I'd have to change the planet. The start takes your shoes off. I smell something bloody, metallic. Knarzig, like a purulent plague bump with disinfectant. Secretions Magnifique is almost harmless against that. While I'm still struggling for composure and thinking about amputation of the forearm, something floral mixes with it. Unfortunately, it stinks like these carrion flowers. Maybe I can burn the rest off with a burner??

Someday the whole thing will become calmer and more conciliatory! But I really don't know when to wear this? This metal note remains....

If it were worn across from me, it would trigger an escape reflex in me because I'm afraid of being eaten.

But let's see, everyone deserves a second chance;)
10.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Tyrannosaurus Sex
Actually one would (to be honest, I myself would) find the headline rather "flat". In this case, I would like to justify my decision at least with a short statement: I have thought back and forth, and yet I am of the purely subjective opinion that no other heading could summarize it better. At first, a torrent of fir, smoke and spices flies around your ears, almost knocking you down. That sounds negative, but it's not meant that way, because what else should I expect from a T-Rex than a huge gig with proper Bumms?
Once the first overstrain has subsided and the fragrance "sits down" after a few seconds, one notices the refinement and harmony in the almost overwhelming mixture of raw nature and animalism. The fir looks almost minty, which is really a great contrast to the spices and the sharpness!
Champaka, Ylang Ylang and Rose dominate for me the then appearing floweriness of the fragrance. But also here floweriness is not to be classified as tender and flattering. They are also dominated by the raw force of nature of the T-Rex. And he hisses and stomps. Increasingly quieter, but not less impressive.
Civic Is such a thing... I like animal scents that don't drip into the fecal for the sake of animalism. Also, the substructure or conversion must harmonize. T-Rex becomes sweeter and more animalistic from the middle end of the fragrance development. The other notes remain clearly perceptible in the background. Also the minty one, whereby I am not really sure whether that is actually still the fir but still almost provides for a feeling of freshness - perhaps minty-forest would also be suitable to describe what I mean.
The animal note is so fantastic here that the fragrance already looks quite dirty-erotic.
A raw, angular and yet harmonious fragrance. A fragrance that might cause cries of joy in one person and incomprehension (about it) in another.
But Tyrannosaurus Rex (whether the scent name triggers us men to the next statement?) is for my feeling an incredibly masculine scent. And incredibly erotic in (s)a somewhat dirty and yet sexy way.

Of course all this is subjectively judged and (to add a phrase) tastes are - thank God - different but I was already incredibly taken with Moth and feel Tyrannosaurus Rex as a little masterpiece.
7.0 10.0 8.5/10

Greatly helpful Review
Jurassic Park?
Although I am more than open to fantasy, sci-fi and also to the fantastic movie, I have always strictly refused the dino hype. Only in the Senckenberg-Museum I have taken a look at the petrified remains of the ancient beasts.

In the case of Tyrannosaurus Rex I have decided to make an exception, since the cute little animal comes from one of the currently most exciting fragrance brands and not from Disney.

Already at the first test it was soon clear that in a children's room the fragrance dino would probably not become at home, which could not only be due to the price. This stuff is simply not suitable for children or the masses and doesn't want / shouldn't be.

Whether the olfactory excavation of a T-Rex was successful must be determined of course everyone for itself, but I doubt simply times that the Urviech must have also only approximately well smelled, since the little animal is supposed to have fed itself also times of carrion.

If you approach this T-Rex you have to expect that the creature, as it should be for a predator, roars quite loudly at the beginning and braids its strongly spiced teeth. After several tests I form a slightly peeled fir note to smell out. This is quite a bit weird, but not unpleasant or even intolerable (but I am probably not a good yardstick there either, since I can do quite well with animal notes).

Over time, the floral notes come a little more to the fore, but without drifting off into the flowery. Champaka and something rose-like makes the most sense for my nose, but a sweet animalism holds neatly against it.

The animal-sweetish note remains also in the end, however, gets then aromatic wood with resin as substructure missed and now from the predator nearly a Kuscheltier became
Even if you don't want to believe me, the fragrance works discreetly and very well in heat. I first tested the fragrance in Montreal at 34 degrees in the shade and the base has developed particularly well. Of course, the durability was / is accordingly. He has held the whole day and even the evening shower although weakened, but still perceptibly survived.

Jurassic Park, Dino hype, I like the fragrance and maybe he could make it into my collection, because my husband thinks he's totally great. Look mer times.

AmberScent 106 days ago
Complex, resinous, dark & smoky! The strong florals contribute for a lesser animalic & earthy footprint. This lord dino really pleases me.+3

by Kovex
by Kovex
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
by SmellGoodGuy
by SmellGoodGuy

Popular Zoologist

Bat by Zoologist Rhinoceros by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Panda (2014) by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Dodo by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Hyrax by Zoologist Beaver (2014) by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist