Tyrannosaurus Rex (2018)

Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist

Tyrannosaurus Rex is a popular perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is resinous-smoky. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Antonio Gardoni

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Black pepper, Fir, Bay leaf, Neroli, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesChampaca flower, Geranium, Jasmine, Osmanthus, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesResins, Prickly cedar, Cedar, Civet, Frankincense, Leather, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 13.03.2020.

The signature of Fred Feuerstein
Except for the two new ones, I wore everything from zoologist one day. Many I found irrelevant or disgusting (e.g. Dodo), while a few really fascinated me, including Camel, Bat (2015), Rhinoceros and Tyrannosaurus Rex, which is what this is all about now.
If you want to know what the T-Rex's prelude smells like, you can take an empty lighter (one with a flint and a metal wheel) and by turning the wheel several times you can create a shower of sparks, which causes a billow of smoke. This should come very close to the smoke smell of this perfume. Not an ethereal, solemn or balsamic smoke, but the brute smoke of flints, silverster firecrackers or those produced by the work of a farrier.
Due to a slightly sulphurous component it also makes me think of volcanoes. Later on, dark green, woody notes creep out of the underground, making the whole thing rounder, more natural and atmospheric.
The fragrance is definitely unique and creates primeval or stone-age images in my head. However, the association with a dinosaur doesn't come to mind, as the fragrance completely avoids animaic, leathery or generally more organic notes.
This gives the story a not at all difficult wearability and if one accepts the concept that the scent should only convey the smell of the habitat of a Tyrannosaurus Rex, then this has succeeded.

Exactly...let's move on to wearability: the fragrance is special and yet, as far as I can tell, it does not contain any note that anyone might find unpleasant, but neither does it contain any note that would be a particular treat for the nose. So I think that you don't bother anybody with it, but you don't get any compliments either. It's hard to say on which occasion the T-Rex fits from the feeling. For me it is independent of the weather, has a good but not penetrating sillage and a decent durability. So I would probably wear it as a strange everyday scent on all kinds of occasions. People might think "This guy smells pretty weird, but not bad" and that's okay.
If Fred Flintstone wore perfume, it would probably be this.

SYMPATHY FOR THE....
You can still hear it far away and deep in the jungle but it's getting closer.
And faster than expected.
Something great and powerful makes its way through the thicket.
Does it smell like burning earth?

"Please allow me to introduce myself..."

Intense, almost sulphurous incense wafts rise into my nose.
Yes it burns!
And smoke!
It glows!
But not only the dark earth, no the whole jungle smoulders glistening brightly under old wood and dark ground.
And the embers free all the spicy, resinous and animal scents, which had hidden in the flora and - yes - in the fauna of the jungle shortly before.

"I'm a man of wealth and taste ..."

In one powerful coup, HE unleashes the complete olfactory richness of the environment. A truly breathtaking and all senses beguiling event.

"I've been around for a long, long year, stole many a man's soul and faith..."

Ancient woods, sweet resins and harsh juices, spicy herbs and essential essences impregnate the air with their precious smoke.
Shortly I think to get no more air, but then I open myself and just give myself to HIM.

"Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name ..."

Oh, yeah, well, I know his name. And I am devilishly glad that I was allowed to make his acquaintance today!

"But what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game."

I'll follow him... carefully and never too close. I will wear its smoking aromatic scent again and again to become one with the molecules of nature freed from fire.
Even closer to me and to the origin of everything.

Ooops ... excuse me! Must've just been going over a bit with me ;)

"Tyrannosaurus Rex" by Zoologist simply knocked me over and I immediately had this great Stones classic in my ear (One of my absolute favourite songs ever).
A perfume like an elemental force. Brachial but beautiful.
Excessive and overwhelming but absolutely portable.
And in addition still the typically affectionately arranged bottle - I love these wonderful and characterful drawings!

Have faith in this great primeval being... it's worth it!

So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, mmm yeah

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, mmm yeah

But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, mmm mean it, get down!

...

The soundtrack to the comment can be found here: https://youtu.be/GgnClrx8N2k

Weihrauch
The quintessence of confusion?
I haven't written a comment for 110 days now. A statement here and there. Nothing more. Why?

Because I've been thinking about "perfume" in circles for the last few months.
Little to nothing really convinced me. And when a scent was drawn in, I quickly noticed that I didn't like either the drydown or the performance.
I was really sad. What had become of my passion? Has the eternal ambivalence made me tired or even lazy?
How should it go on?
I stumbled across an article about the "10 most interesting fragrance houses". Names like "Papillon Perfumery", "Profvmvm Roma", "Imaginary Authors", "Bortnikoff" or "Bogue" were already known to me through bottles and bottlings. But the Canadian company "Zoologist Perfumes" I didn't really have on the radar...

Fragrances that always impress me are those that even after the 20th time smell still fascinate me. These are scents that stay in my nose for minutes, even if I only smelled from the sprayer. These are the ones that immediately awaken images in my head. These are fragrances that don't annoy me, but which I still can't understand and see through. These are fragrances that only become really good after 2-4 hours. Many fragrances that I have tested in the last weeks are after 4 hours only replaceable, irrelevant swaths of their own.

All these properties I'm talking about here apply 100% to "T-Rex". I have never smelled such an interesting, multi-layered, brutal, durable and high-quality fragrance.

Why do I have to tell you so much on the outside? Because I can't classify and describe the scent. He kills you with so much that at first I thought, "this scent doesn't appeal to anyone, anyone can provoke somehow".
Even then, I was wrong. The fragrance rewards those who do not let themselves be deterred by the frightening start. And so this fragrance is for me not only pure perfumer's art (google Antonio Gardoni), no, but also a great social criticism. Nowadays, time is everything. Time is economized. First impressions count. Consensus has priority. Favourableness and "political correctness" do not only hold sway in media and technology, but also in our favourite hobby.

Taking time not to evaluate things with a wipe. Pausing and giving time to topics, people, situations and scents to question them critically and sincerely. Take a look behind the licked, eel smooth surface.

I don't want to encourage any more "anarchy" or any other stupid system criticism here...no. I would like to dedicate this fragrance not only to my longest comment so far, but also to my extremely rare 10/10 points. Bravo Mr. Gardoni!
If not for "T-Rex", for whom then?

Thanks for reading through!

Prehistoric forest fire
Already at the opening of the letter in which the sample was, an unexpected smell came towards me. After some time I entered the room again where the sample was and immediately smelled this smoky sweet smell again. After the application on the skin I could notice as expected a strong silage. The "campfire smoke" superimposed everything at first, bergamot was still nice to smell, "something" metallic flashed out in between. In the course of the next few hours the smoke had dissipated to such an extent that a slight forest-like smell remained. It would have been nice to have been able to experience a more pronounced fragrance development. Unfortunately I could not smell a primeval animal, I had glared at it. The perfume is probably rather something for "special" occasions, surely not everyone will be enthusiastic about it. Altogether I liked the trip to prehistoric times, so I will try some other scent samples from "Zooligist"
4.0

Smoky herb ash
My last sample, like my first, opens with a bang—in this case, a meteoric apocalypse. This one smells like chaos and destruction—a burning forest of charred carbon. I get whiffs of the burnt laurel notes in Interlude Man, but without any of the resin sweetness that brings relief. This one is challenging for me, but there are tiny remnants of rich incense amidst the charcoal that keep me hunting for more. I imagine smokers (or fans of smoke) would adore this. Definitely not for me, but thankful for the experience.

Beastly? Don't. Don't.
I must honestly say that after reading some comments on Zoologist's Tyrannosaurus Rex, God knows what a punch on the nose I expected. And bloodshed, burning palm trees and rising clouds of smoke. The whole apocalyptic program of prehistory. Well, it's not like that. Yes, the palm trees are burning. Yes, the clouds of smoke are rising. But there's no blood yet. In fact, this fragrance is the best and most interesting thing that has come under my nose so far - so much in advance.

The fragrance starts off unusually intriguing. Hardly tangible, what is firing at the same time and room filling. I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. Sweet, hot, smoke, tar. Immediately I wanted more, and more, and still a little more, in order to get in completely and safely.

For me it starts with white smoke: typical post-campfire smell, fading embers, forest air. At the same time a discreetly composed sweetness unfolds, so that the perception begins to jump back and forth: Smoke/Sweet/Smoke/Sweet - a pretty exciting thing. I liked that.

After some time, the smoky notes give way to finer nuances: pleasantly moderate metallic notes, lasting sweetness and incense. All quite bearable, but dynamic. Much more exciting than Zoologist's Camel, who had turned himself on my skin into a sticky heavy, homogeneous sweet mass of the old muff school and couldn't be washed off. Tyrannosaurus Rex is really much more detailed, more differentiated and yes, also more carefree.

I cannot say whether the fragrance is really suitable for everyday use, it is certainly not completely harmless. In opposition to send clothes - yes, sure thing, the game of opposites halt. Uncombed in a suit, yes! I wouldn't camp with it - who would take their own firewood with them when they go into the forest?
Urban is the T-Rex for me in any case, and there I would not greatly question what with what, and if, and at all. To go out? Yes. Office? No. Man needs less office, more forest. More smoke!

Chief Detective T-Rex appears at scene of crime
I had just written a statement, but I have to comment on it. Not much for smoky odors. This one used to be in a souk shop. I finally got a splash on my wrist today and don't think it's as bad as many people see it here.

The beginning? I can't bear it. Bizarrely stinking, burning carcasses. Here it's just eyes closed and through. The animals at the scene are ablaze. What then comes pleases me. The smell of dinosaurs diminishes and incense becomes more and more important. The animals are extinguished and the scent becomes portable. The scratching smoke always remains in the foreground, but is backed with pleasant leather and vanilla. I never notice flowers or roses. If you are looking for a pleasantly scratching smoker and are prepared to accept a short-term, severe smell, you will be rewarded. The base goes slightly in the direction of Atkinsons - His Majesty the Oud.

See the T-Rex on men. Durability and Sillage above average. That leaves only the occasion. But fans of smoky scents will know what they're doing. You do attract attention with it. And definitely the wearer needs to be groomed. Office/everyday life by no means. Maybe with a suit to the opera?

I find the self-confident detective superintendent as a dinosaur on the flacon very suitable in any case.
10.0

SmellGoodGuy
Reserved only for a distinguished & sophisticated, gentleman unconcerned with the banalities of the masses...
I’m currently wearing this and it’s really my first time as I only priorly smelled it through a spritzed strip.

To get to the point: best scent I own. There’s no doubt in my mind that most people who wrote a negative review about this did NOT try it on. If only sprayed on paper, you can walk away with the impression that it’s too camphorous to wear. On skin: absolutely wonderful.

Though not overbearing, the sandalwood, jasmine and frankincense are the backbone to the scent in that, out of all the notes, they play a larger role in making it stand as a wearable fragrance.

The vanilla and rose are only there to both calm it and tie everything together and never comes through as distinguishable, at least to me.

EXTRA beastmode. Do NOT spray on clothes....you've been warned. Primarily inside: 1 and done. Outside: 3 and let it be.

All and all, I'm super happy that I purchased this. A five star scent if ever there were one. It may very well be the best (not the prettiest) scent I own or smelled...maybe

MGO
I'm a tough guy and that's a good thing!
Tyrannosaurus Rex is a fragrance that lives up to its name.

I love scents that cross the border and I stand by them.
Through a dear perfume, Caligari, I came to test this extraordinary perfume.
While many users find it difficult to classify such a fragrance as a perfume, I like the idea of bringing together the seemingly impossible as a fragrance concept.
If you use T-Rex rather sparingly, you will enjoy a reminiscence of the tar machine of the early 60s at the beginning. Why does this fragrance remind me of that?

I'm maybe 5 years old and roaming the village. Pure hot asphalt is applied to the road and I enjoy real liquorice I bought in small pieces for a few pennies in the savings shop.
Nobody in my family wanted that liquorice, and neither did my friends. I still love her today. Strong, austere and yet aromatic, just like the tar smell of the time. Today it doesn't smell so good for me on tar machines. Probably because some of the harmful substances are on the list of banned ingredients.

After sniffing the tar I took tree resin from my grandmother's cherry tree and played with it. Sticky and sweetish, at the same time a little woody, resinous and smelling of turpentine.

T-Rex awakens memories in me, pleasant memories and therefore I like him.
Maybe I take it to hours of solitude, because just as my preference for tar and liquorice is not shared by anyone around me, so it can be with this scent.

In the course of time the smoky part increases again and a medical alcohol note brings a little sweetness, animal sweetness.

I constantly have to sniff at the back of my hand, the oily stain attracts me magically.
In short, I like this fragrance and there will be opportunities to wear it with delight. Finally something I don't have to share
10.0

T-Rex delivers
I'm so impressed with this! Regardless of whether I like it or not, it totally captures the scent of hot, dry, red rocks and bizarre flowering plants in odd colors. The imagery I get from this is seriously prehistoric and probably not based on reality but on preconceived notions about the dinosaur days based on Hollywood films. The scent is also quite wearable, not weird at all. Dark, spicy, cinnamon-y (laurel is part of the same family as cinnamon). There is a variety of poppy that I have encountered. In fact, i have a photo of me standing in a giant patch of them. They are taller than me, with enormous, paper-like, billowy white flowers, and they have a magnificent scent. T-Rex reminds me of those exact flowers. I don't think they are actually opium poppies, but they certainly smell hypnotic.

There is some incense in T-Rex, though it's very well blended. I could not specifically pick out olibanum (a variety of frankincense), although I would not doubt it's there. While this is not my "usual" style of naturalistic, forest, earthy fragrance...I find it very enticing and hard to forget. Highly recommended to at least sample!

AmberScent 11 months ago
9.0
Complex, resinous, dark & smoky! The strong florals contribute for a lesser animalic & earthy footprint. This lord dino really pleases me.

by Kovex
by Yharnam79
by Materijalmen
by Materijalmen

Popular Zoologist

Camel by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Rhinoceros by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Dodo by Zoologist Panda (2014) by Zoologist Hyrax by Zoologist Beaver (2014) by Zoologist Bat (2020) by Zoologist