Tyrannosaurus Rex 2018

Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist
Tyrannosaurus Rex is a popular perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is resinous-smoky. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Antonio Gardoni

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Black pepper, Fir, Bay leaf, Neroli, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesChampaca flower, Geranium, Jasmine, Osmanthus, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesResins, Canary Islands juniper, Cedar, Civet, Frankincense, Leather, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 19.10.2020.

1.5
Hideous beast
Scent:
I've never tested a fragrance I found so horrible. Immediately, a chemical-like, pungent sharpness rises into the nose, which smells so disgusting to me; like cigarette residues with corrosive substances. But behind this scent there are still some small but at least pleasant floral notes, from which I have to turn away immediately. Each of my three tests stank horribly for me and I felt slightly nauseous.

After a few minutes I couldn't stand this monster anymore and I had to wash down the perfume splash - and it was only one - again with soap. At that moment it felt like a recovery from a nightmare. I think the scent is so bad, you could use it as a torture device without any fun.

And I find the ingredients of the fragrance to be of high quality as well.

H+S:
A splash of perfume can already be felt very strongly and almost knocks me over. Even the finger with which I triggered the atomizer already smelled of the stuff. Although I can't stand the stench for long, I imagine an excellent durability for it.

Flacon:
This one looks very stylish in the pictures. I like all the animals of the zoologist-en very much.
All in all, this fragrance has impressed me so much (negatively) that I am writing my first comment on Parfumo here.
Chizza
Please use fire/time superlatives here
When I had the opportunity to test the T-Rex, I was very excited about this opportunity. If you just read about it, you expect virtually brutality and bloodshed to be sprayed on. What would this scent be like? The first whiff of the atomizer and I was very overwhelmed, then decided to put on Iron Duke for shopping, this seemed more innocuous to me. In retrospect a fallacy, because the T-Rex here, it's not an all trampling smasher, but rationally seen simply woody, swampy with resins. But from the front:

On my first test, I found that my five-year-old son was testing. Every day he has unusual scent wishes, which you can then guess what might fit. On this day the T-Rex fit well (I had made it tasty for I don't own a lion perfume) and so we both tried it, which helped me to have a closer look at the effect of the perfume
Now at the beginning it is incredibly difficult to smell out of all the scents, xx works in this or that way. But what is insanely present from the beginning is for me the laurel leaf. For me it smells and tastes just like that one when cooked. Sure, you don't eat it, but I am talking about the taste on the tongue. Undeniably the T-Rex seems metallic, which for me is due to the laurel, among other things.
In general, one includes a swampiness as well as that metallic element, which in combination is a successful combination, if one applies the scale of the concept fragrance. Can I imagine such primeval, sultry forests? Yes, I can. Does it make me think of fires or do I associate the metallic element with a carnivore and its greed for blood? You have to interpret a lot into that In general, the mixture of incense, juniper and other resins is very aromatic, here in the expression not even so strongly but discreetly used. With advancing time, these notes play a more important role, but do not change fundamentally. Subliminally I also notice the civet, but much more softly than usual.

Well, in the end Tyrannosaurus Rex is a very nice swampy and primeval forest scent. It contains a lot of green from the more aromatic variety, it also contains muted resins and a lot of floral (which is not so present in my case) but it doesn't express carnage, no devastating forest fire. But his Sillage is impressive. The children's room needed an intensive ventilation.
This leads to the last question: is this fragrance for me art which I like to perceive olfactorically? Or is it even perfume for me, is that how I would like to smell? It is not about the perception of the environment.
The signature of Fred Feuerstein
Except for the two new ones, I wore everything from zoologist one day. Many I found irrelevant or disgusting (e.g. Dodo), while a few really fascinated me, including Camel, Bat (2015), Rhinoceros and Tyrannosaurus Rex, which is what this is all about now.
If you want to know what the T-Rex's prelude smells like, you can take an empty lighter (one with a flint and a metal wheel) and by turning the wheel several times you can create a shower of sparks, which causes a billow of smoke. This should come very close to the smoke smell of this perfume. Not an ethereal, solemn or balsamic smoke, but the brute smoke of flints, silverster firecrackers or those produced by the work of a farrier.
Due to a slightly sulphurous component it also makes me think of volcanoes. Later on, dark green, woody notes creep out of the underground, making the whole thing rounder, more natural and atmospheric.
The fragrance is definitely unique and creates primeval or stone-age images in my head. However, the association with a dinosaur doesn't come to mind, as the fragrance completely avoids animaic, leathery or generally more organic notes.
This gives the story a not at all difficult wearability and if one accepts the concept that the scent should only convey the smell of the habitat of a Tyrannosaurus Rex, then this has succeeded.

Exactly...let's move on to wearability: the fragrance is special and yet, as far as I can tell, it does not contain any note that anyone might find unpleasant, but neither does it contain any note that would be a particular treat for the nose. So I think that you don't bother anybody with it, but you don't get any compliments either. It's hard to say on which occasion the T-Rex fits from the feeling. For me it is independent of the weather, has a good but not penetrating sillage and a decent durability. So I would probably wear it as a strange everyday scent on all kinds of occasions. People might think "This guy smells pretty weird, but not bad" and that's okay.
If Fred Flintstone wore perfume, it would probably be this.
Weihrauch
The quintessence of confusion?
I haven't written a comment for 110 days now. A statement here and there. Nothing more. Why?

Because I've been thinking about "perfume" in circles for the last few months.
Little to nothing really convinced me. And when a scent was drawn in, I quickly noticed that I didn't like either the drydown or the performance.
I was really sad. What had become of my passion? Has the eternal ambivalence made me tired or even lazy?
How should it go on?
I stumbled across an article about the "10 most interesting fragrance houses". Names like "Papillon Perfumery", "Profvmvm Roma", "Imaginary Authors", "Bortnikoff" or "Bogue" were already known to me through bottles and bottlings. But the Canadian company "Zoologist Perfumes" I didn't really have on the radar...

Fragrances that always impress me are those that even after the 20th time smell still fascinate me. These are scents that stay in my nose for minutes, even if I only smelled from the sprayer. These are the ones that immediately awaken images in my head. These are fragrances that don't annoy me, but which I still can't understand and see through. These are fragrances that only become really good after 2-4 hours. Many fragrances that I have tested in the last weeks are after 4 hours only replaceable, irrelevant swaths of their own.

All these properties I'm talking about here apply 100% to "T-Rex". I have never smelled such an interesting, multi-layered, brutal, durable and high-quality fragrance.

Why do I have to tell you so much on the outside? Because I can't classify and describe the scent. He kills you with so much that at first I thought, "this scent doesn't appeal to anyone, anyone can provoke somehow".
Even then, I was wrong. The fragrance rewards those who do not let themselves be deterred by the frightening start. And so this fragrance is for me not only pure perfumer's art (google Antonio Gardoni), no, but also a great social criticism. Nowadays, time is everything. Time is economized. First impressions count. Consensus has priority. Favourableness and "political correctness" do not only hold sway in media and technology, but also in our favourite hobby.

Taking time not to evaluate things with a wipe. Pausing and giving time to topics, people, situations and scents to question them critically and sincerely. Take a look behind the licked, eel smooth surface.

I don't want to encourage any more "anarchy" or any other stupid system criticism here...no. I would like to dedicate this fragrance not only to my longest comment so far, but also to my extremely rare 10/10 points. Bravo Mr. Gardoni!
If not for "T-Rex", for whom then?

Thanks for reading through!
Prehistoric forest fire
Already at the opening of the letter in which the sample was, an unexpected smell came towards me. After some time I entered the room again where the sample was and immediately smelled this smoky sweet smell again. After the application on the skin I could notice as expected a strong silage. The "campfire smoke" superimposed everything at first, bergamot was still nice to smell, "something" metallic flashed out in between. In the course of the next few hours the smoke had dissipated to such an extent that a slight forest-like smell remained. It would have been nice to have been able to experience a more pronounced fragrance development. Unfortunately I could not smell a primeval animal, I had glared at it. The perfume is probably rather something for "special" occasions, surely not everyone will be enthusiastic about it. Altogether I liked the trip to prehistoric times, so I will try some other scent samples from "Zooligist"

Smoky herb ash
My last sample, like my first, opens with a bang—in this case, a meteoric apocalypse. This one smells like chaos and destruction—a burning forest of charred carbon. I get whiffs of the burnt laurel notes in Interlude Man, but without any of the resin sweetness that brings relief. This one is challenging for me, but there are tiny remnants of rich incense amidst the charcoal that keep me hunting for more. I imagine smokers (or fans of smoke) would adore this. Definitely not for me, but thankful for the experience.
Beastly? Don't. Don't.
I must honestly say that after reading some comments on Zoologist's Tyrannosaurus Rex, God knows what a punch on the nose I expected. And bloodshed, burning palm trees and rising clouds of smoke. The whole apocalyptic program of prehistory. Well, it's not like that. Yes, the palm trees are burning. Yes, the clouds of smoke are rising. But there's no blood yet. In fact, this fragrance is the best and most interesting thing that has come under my nose so far - so much in advance.

The fragrance starts off unusually intriguing. Hardly tangible, what is firing at the same time and room filling. I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. Sweet, hot, smoke, tar. Immediately I wanted more, and more, and still a little more, in order to get in completely and safely.

For me it starts with white smoke: typical post-campfire smell, fading embers, forest air. At the same time a discreetly composed sweetness unfolds, so that the perception begins to jump back and forth: Smoke/Sweet/Smoke/Sweet - a pretty exciting thing. I liked that.

After some time, the smoky notes give way to finer nuances: pleasantly moderate metallic notes, lasting sweetness and incense. All quite bearable, but dynamic. Much more exciting than Zoologist's Camel, who had turned himself on my skin into a sticky heavy, homogeneous sweet mass of the old muff school and couldn't be washed off. Tyrannosaurus Rex is really much more detailed, more differentiated and yes, also more carefree.

I cannot say whether the fragrance is really suitable for everyday use, it is certainly not completely harmless. In opposition to send clothes - yes, sure thing, the game of opposites halt. Uncombed in a suit, yes! I wouldn't camp with it - who would take their own firewood with them when they go into the forest?
Urban is the T-Rex for me in any case, and there I would not greatly question what with what, and if, and at all. To go out? Yes. Office? No. Man needs less office, more forest. More smoke!
Chief Detective T-Rex appears at scene of crime
I had just written a statement, but I have to comment on it. Not much for smoky odors. This one used to be in a souk shop. I finally got a splash on my wrist today and don't think it's as bad as many people see it here.

The beginning? I can't bear it. Bizarrely stinking, burning carcasses. Here it's just eyes closed and through. The animals at the scene are ablaze. What then comes pleases me. The smell of dinosaurs diminishes and incense becomes more and more important. The animals are extinguished and the scent becomes portable. The scratching smoke always remains in the foreground, but is backed with pleasant leather and vanilla. I never notice flowers or roses. If you are looking for a pleasantly scratching smoker and are prepared to accept a short-term, severe smell, you will be rewarded. The base goes slightly in the direction of Atkinsons - His Majesty the Oud.

See the T-Rex on men. Durability and Sillage above average. That leaves only the occasion. But fans of smoky scents will know what they're doing. You do attract attention with it. And definitely the wearer needs to be groomed. Office/everyday life by no means. Maybe with a suit to the opera?

I find the self-confident detective superintendent as a dinosaur on the flacon very suitable in any case.

SmellGoodGuy
Reserved only for a distinguished & sophisticated, gentleman unconcerned with the banalities of the masses...
I’m currently wearing this and it’s really my first time as I only priorly smelled it through a spritzed strip.

To get to the point: best scent I own. There’s no doubt in my mind that most people who wrote a negative review about this did NOT try it on. If only sprayed on paper, you can walk away with the impression that it’s too camphorous to wear. On skin: absolutely wonderful.

Though not overbearing, the sandalwood, jasmine and frankincense are the backbone to the scent in that, out of all the notes, they play a larger role in making it stand as a wearable fragrance.

The vanilla and rose are only there to both calm it and tie everything together and never comes through as distinguishable, at least to me.

EXTRA beastmode. Do NOT spray on clothes....you've been warned. Primarily inside: 1 and done. Outside: 3 and let it be.

All and all, I'm super happy that I purchased this. A five star scent if ever there were one. It may very well be the best (not the prettiest) scent I own or smelled...maybe
MGO
I'm a tough guy and that's a good thing!
Tyrannosaurus Rex is a fragrance that lives up to its name.

I love scents that cross the border and I stand by them.
Through a dear perfume, Caligari, I came to test this extraordinary perfume.
While many users find it difficult to classify such a fragrance as a perfume, I like the idea of bringing together the seemingly impossible as a fragrance concept.
If you use T-Rex rather sparingly, you will enjoy a reminiscence of the tar machine of the early 60s at the beginning. Why does this fragrance remind me of that?

I'm maybe 5 years old and roaming the village. Pure hot asphalt is applied to the road and I enjoy real liquorice I bought in small pieces for a few pennies in the savings shop.
Nobody in my family wanted that liquorice, and neither did my friends. I still love her today. Strong, austere and yet aromatic, just like the tar smell of the time. Today it doesn't smell so good for me on tar machines. Probably because some of the harmful substances are on the list of banned ingredients.

After sniffing the tar I took tree resin from my grandmother's cherry tree and played with it. Sticky and sweetish, at the same time a little woody, resinous and smelling of turpentine.

T-Rex awakens memories in me, pleasant memories and therefore I like him.
Maybe I take it to hours of solitude, because just as my preference for tar and liquorice is not shared by anyone around me, so it can be with this scent.

In the course of time the smoky part increases again and a medical alcohol note brings a little sweetness, animal sweetness.

I constantly have to sniff at the back of my hand, the oily stain attracts me magically.
In short, I like this fragrance and there will be opportunities to wear it with delight. Finally something I don't have to share

AmberScentAmberScent 18 months ago
Complex, resinous, dark & smoky! The strong florals contribute for a lesser animalic & earthy footprint. This lord dino really pleases me.

by Kovex
by SmellGoodGuy
by Yharnam79
by Yharnam79

Popular Zoologist

Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Dodo (2019) by Zoologist Bat (2020) by Zoologist Panda (2014) by Zoologist