Bat 2020

Version from 2020
Bat (2020) by Zoologist
Bat (2020) is a new perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2020. The scent is earthy-fruity.

Prin Lomros

Top Notes Top NotesFig, Passion fruit, Pink guava, Soil
Heart Notes Heart NotesHay, Frankincense, Minerals, Night-blooming jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesAnimalic notes, Leather, Stone, Teakwood, Vetiver

Submitted by X57deadsoulx, last update on 17.10.2020.

UntermWert
Pear and camphor in a draft
Black light and dusty dry ice... for some reason, the theme and scent pyramid of "Bat" awakened in me the association of an 80s gothic disco - which I myself frequented as an inconspicuous marginal figure, wrapped in a camouflage cape of patchouli oil - cave scent, oh how promising, and indulge in a few memories!

Well, since I have been trying to train my nose lately mainly to perceive aura scents... (sometimes more, sometimes less successful) the same one almost flew away from me when I tried to sniff the paper test strip with Bat...

Now I have to admit that without any previous experience I ordered a sample of 3 (!) Zoologist-scents, and now there are the three test strips, and I don't dare to go one step further and spray them on the skin... because: while I am trying to write my first comment at all, I take a sniff of the paper strip every now and then, only to find out that my fingers are already intensively affected by it. Is this the Sillage, or rather the durability? Wow! By the way, all three of them don't do anything about this...

but now back to Bat: Spontaneous association was first "pear on camphor" ... according to the previous descriptions I was somehow also set on banana, but didn't come. Unfortunately the cave didn't come either. The smell remained rather sharp and quite mineral, unfortunately nothing of the hoped for gothic muff of the 80s and 90s, or something that makes you think of vampires, but quite the opposite, for me rather unbelievably fresh, up to the draught.
All in all I would say, rather a masculine scent, which is confirmed for me a few hours later after another shy sniff - because now it smells to me like a strong aftershave that someone puts on to dominate an entire room. Oh yes, and this sharp aftershave effect really reminds me of the old days.
But whether I would like to smell that on someone else or on my own skin, I cannot say at this time.

Wow, what an experience! Maybe I was too ambitious for my first comment; but one thing I've realized with the Zoologist-scent: I think it's quite unlikely that this or its respective carrier could slip into triviality.

... and the original scent without the sweet fruit part would interest me after all...
Dadadadada Batman !
After Camel and Civet I have a scent of Zoologist under my nose again, which made me a little curious when I first read the statements, scent pyramid and comments. Because many others are said to have much greener hues, which is why this Bat 2020 made it onto the test list. Above all, I was curious to see how the scent generates its animalism, if you can speak of it. Purely from the given notes, the fragrance is indicated in the direction of fruity-mineral. But I had an idea what to expect, since we've all been to the zoo and had this kind of high and oppressive humidity mixed with animalism. Terrarium says hello.
Of course, it was a special situation for me because I had tested Civet and Bat at the same time and sprayed a fragrance on each arm. As I said in my commentary on the Civet, I put my olfactory courage to the test. Beyond 20 degrees air temperature the perfume was sprayed on. I was well aware that this would be a challenge, but I couldn't help it, my curiosity was too great. Funnily enough, it turned out later that the outside temperature had an influence on the fragrance, which I will explain in more detail below.

Hope was of course there, to what extent Bat 2020 can keep up with the old civet cat and was an equal opponent on the arm. Right after the first spraying of Civet I knew that this zoologist belonged in my collection. He also had it easier in this respect, because I was looking for a scent of this resinous-oriental category.

Bat 2020 is once again one of those fragrances that makes you think a lot and can't just be assessed in between. But it is also not a fragrance that makes the decision so easy. Although it is described as relatively accessible (for a zoologist), it still has an effect. It's been over three weeks since my test, but the scent keeps me busy as on the day of the test.
To give you a brief summary, I would describe the composition of the fragrance as a fruity-mineral cave beneath the greenhouse. Especially the imitation of the scent of a cave full of bats is great and already frighteningly real, so that you get the feeling to walk to the vampire prince himself after spraying it on. Similar to the Civet, I would not ascribe any great transformations to this bat over time, which he does not necessarily need. To have said this in advance, however, lets me break down the scent more easily to give an impression.
Generally speaking, the fragrance is made up of three main components, which intertwine masterfully to make the image look real. On the one hand we have a very mineral note, which reminds of wet marble and flooded rock. Component two is the distinct fruitiness. A dance between exotic fruit in the form of banana and passion fruit, although the banana scent can also come from the fact that they are already lightly fermented fruit. Finally, damp air is added, which not only sounds strange, but is also built in quite wickedly. You can explicitly smell a high humidity in this scent, which is also influenced by the actual outside temperature. The warmer the outside temperature, the higher the smelled humidity.

It is extraordinary how precisely the topic was hit. Go to the zoo, stand in the lizard and spider house and think of banana. If you've got it on your skin you'd answer YES to any of these descriptions.

Also the durability is quite heavy, because I already took the eight to ten hours with me when testing. The whole composition is also in the foreground, because all notes stand equally well. The sillage is not quite as good as with the Civet, but still very violent, so you can get some questioning looks.

In the future I will think a little bit about the fragrance and philosophize a little bit, because I don't seem to be in complete agreement. But it is good and different.
All will be well
The original version of Bat from 2015 was my first fragrance I tested by a zoologist. The impression it left was a lasting one. I was fascinated by the perfect thematic implementation of the flying cave dwellers in one fragrance. Nevertheless, a first wearing test was acknowledged by my wife with the question, which crypt I had got out of. And I have to admit: as brilliant as I found it, as difficult to wear it was
Now some scents have already been reworked by zoologists, such as Beaver or Panda. And of course the fears of the fans are always big that the special thing that makes a fragrance gets lost with its reformulation.

While the very likeable brand owner Victor Wong took customer feedback to heart and redesigned both Beaver and Panda in favor of convenience and portability, there is no denying that even an idealist like him needs to make money at the end of the day to keep his business going. Bat had a large fan base and there was no reason to change the scent.

However, the reasons were different when Bat was revised. As far as I was able to find out, the rights to the fragrances are held by the respective perfumers, who sell their creations under temporary licensing by the Zoologist brand. However, when it came to renewing the license for Bat 2015, the perfumer in charge, Dr. Ellen Covey, wanted to obtain significantly higher fees for the renewal of the license for Bat. Victor Wong refused to do so, as it no longer seemed possible to set a price that was appropriate for him. So he looked for other possibilities to continue to sell the successful Bat.

With Prin Lomros, Victor Wong has won what I consider to be a brilliant perfumer who is innovative, creative and courageous at the same time.

Bat 2020 starts with a strong and full-bodied fruity note. The delicate unsweet green of the fig harmonizes fantastically with the sweet-sour aroma of the guava and the exotic fruitiness of the passion fruit.

This very pleasing fruitiness is accompanied by fragrant aromatic and earthy notes. There are parallels to the old version, only that the whole thing here is much smoother, more harmonious and more pleasing. While Bat
2015, the new version focuses on more portability. Is that bad or reprehensible? Not at all, because I can be equally enthusiastic about the new composition.

The initial fruitiness remains in the beginning, but in the further course of time very natural mineral notes are added. One has the feeling of sniffing the entire microcosm of a handful of flavoured, slightly sweet earth. For a nature-loving person like me a revelation
A certain animalism is common to many scents of zoologist. Sometimes driven to the top of the tolerable, it gives Bat that certain something that gives the scent additional tension. But all notes are so subtly interwoven that no urine-smelling, grubby picture is likely to emerge.

I too was sceptical whether a worthy successor could replace the old version and was proven wrong. And princess Lomros-- I will keep an eye on him, thankful that Victor Wong brought him on board and that it did not remain with this one project. Bat made it right on my wish list.

And for all those who are still mourning the 2015 version of Bat, the good news is that it's still around.
I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes has relaunched the fragrance under the name Night Flyer. Responsible perfumer - how could it be otherwise: Dr. Ellen Covey.
From concept fragrance to fragrance - and - The thing with the name
Since the original version is probably THE concept fragrance par excellence and has been hotly discussed, loved and torn apart, it is truly difficult to approach the successor without an open mind.
Personally, I am admittedly a fan of the original. And that's why I come to the following thought:
Maybe it would have done the scent good - just for the ratings and the damned bias - if another animal had been attributed to it. I even go so far as to say that the overall rating for the scent would have been much better in the future, if it had been called "Parrot" for example (Parrot now just off the top of my head and without any reference to the scent).

One thing is clear right from the start; here a completely different approach is taken than in the original.
Muff, damp earth and stones, in short: the whole bat cave is missing completely at first.
However, "missing" here is not a very appropriate word, because if this would be the first issue of Bat, it probably wouldn't have bothered anyone...

To start: it's fruity and tart. Almost "real" guava dominates. Wrapped up in some animal shit and a nuance that is damn strongly reminiscent of dodo. Admittedly, the opening mix is somewhere between quite wearable and totally strange. But maybe just because you unconsciously and unintentionally have in mind how the original dealt with the theme.
I can say in advance that Bat 2020 is less a concept than a fragrance and is probably one of the more pleasing, if not the most pleasing zoologist.
The guava, which is really dominant in the beginning, then gradually becomes more natural, dirty and slightly animalistic. None of this, however, pushes itself too far forward, so that the fragrance always remains on the limit of pleasantness and always wafts back and forth between fruity-tart and woody-hardy-herry-ardy. The tiny bit of obligatory animalism in the background.
Now, at the latest, familiar nuances of the original come to light: stone. And with it, the scent gets the connection to the bat. In a completely different way than its big brother. Sprinkled leather is also included, also in moderation. And this keynote, which still strongly reminds of Dodo.
Dodo plus wee-wee plus guava plus damp stone.

There is no getting around the guava, which has already been mentioned several times, in the entire fragrance process - sometimes more in the dodo shadow, sometimes less. Sometimes it is fruity and almost "real", as in the prelude, sometimes overripe and tart as in the drydown. In between there are also some animals that have trampled over it and have done their business unimpressed So the scent stays like this until the drydown, which then gains a little bit of earth muff and becomes a bit woody. But the muff is pleasantly limited and makes the scent only a bit deeper and more dignified-animalistic.

Bat was or is a pure concept fragrance.
Bat 2020 also follows a concept. A completely different one. And is less a concept (scent) than a fragrance. Nor is it in any way "Bat Number II".
And that is exactly where, in my humble estimation, the main problem lies. If you know the original, you may find it difficult to judge the new Bat for what it is and not to punish it for what it is "no longer"
Floyd
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
I told this guy to fill our trunks. Not that we really needed all that stuff for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, you tend to go extreme. I had told him we needed something to smoke, so two bags of grass, seventy-five stones, a wheelbarrow full of hay, a bucket of earth and that is the muddy one, a handful of flowers, a few dead animals in wooden boxes and then some healthy minerals and fruits. He was supposed to get all this stuff together the night before, on a wild hell ride through the whole Los Angeles district, from Topanga to Watts, grab everything he could get hold of and pack us into the back of the car Now we finally drove through the Nevada desert, impregnated ourselves with a sample of all the stuff he had mixed and bottled for us in a mixer and waited for it to take effect. I smelled fruit and was not sure if it was the one from the trunk. It smelled like bags of sweet fruit candies against the hot airflow of our convertible, which quickly carried the smell out into the seemingly endless dead sandbox. The doctor made crazy dislocations, seemed to become hysterical, because there was nothing else to perceive except fruit. He told me to stop, he shouted and I held him by his trouser legs. He was already hanging halfway over the door. We'd have to check the trunk immediately, the guy would have fooled us for sure. We can't stop here, this is bat country! I made it clear to him and we had to continue to rely on the filling from the blender.
Tartaric Fruits and... Flowers, the harmless blossoms that are trampled by small children in spring, but nothing to smoke, no grass, not even mud. A little later I thought I saw the approach of a dead animal, but I was not sure if it was the hallucination of a bat or the gland of a mammal. This mixed quite nicely with the leather of the convertible and the wood of the dashboard, but by now I was sure that the guy in LA had set us up. That was never the crazy stuff everyone was raving about. This just smelled like fruit, flowers, some ox gland, a little suede and wood. It was also weak like hippie grass leaves, barely stuck to the skin and most of it was gone after a few hours. I would have stopped to look in the trunk to see if there was anything in it at all, but the doctor had tipped out of the convertible a few miles earlier and I didn't want to risk him catching up with me.

by Splitter
by Splitter
by X57deadsoulx
by X57deadsoulx

Popular Zoologist

Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Dodo (2019) by Zoologist Panda (2014) by Zoologist