Bat 2020

Version from 2020
Bat (2020) by Zoologist
Bat (2020) is a perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2020. The scent is fruity-earthy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Prin Lomros

Top Notes Top NotesFigFig Passion fruitPassion fruit Pink guavaPink guava SoilSoil
Heart Notes Heart NotesHayHay FrankincenseFrankincense MineralsMinerals Night-blooming jasmineNight-blooming jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesAnimalic notesAnimalic notes LeatherLeather StoneStone TeakwoodTeakwood VetiverVetiver

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 21.08.2022.

1 in-depth fragrance description

Fruits in a moist cave
opens with dirty but still somewhat fresh fruit, guava and passionfruit are very prominent. A very comforting scent, sometimes a bit spiky but all in all very round.

The smoke and minerals perfectly depict a moist cave, I assume that’s where the „freshness“ comes from, almost a bit minty but really only enough to still be pleasing.

If you have ever been to a bat cave, maybe at the zoo, the moisty mineralic feel u get there is perfectly captured in this beautiful scent.

Drydown has a slight musky, animalic touch but that „cave with fruit laying around“ feeling really is the selling point here. Bat just keeps on getting dirtier and dirtier with every hour while still holding the standard of a scent you could wear and smell all day.

Bat out of Hell
She always knew she was different from the others. Even as a very young thing. Sure, she liked fruit, really ripe, bordering on fermented, nice and soft, juicy and sweet. Who didn't like that? But she always felt a darker side to her, too.

She was in the orchard, night had just fallen, when she heard it from the porch. A voice was yowling quite terribly:

Then she was so taken that she slipped off her overripe guava and fell from the tree. Fortunately, she landed in dry straw. Startled, her little claws dug into the damp earth, rich in minerals, and she thought to herself: that's what I want to be! I want to be mean and nasty, fearless and powerful!

Her cousins hunted insects, after all. And she had heard from other relatives, they even drank blood! Yes, that would be it, that would be really nasty and dark! The earth around her steamed sweet and spicy. She imagined it was smoke straight from hell.

If not now, when? She fluttered as fast as she could toward the chicken enclosure. There they all squatted asleep on their perches, unaware of anything. Hah, their victim, she thought to herself. As she fluttered closer, however, she noticed that the chickens were quite a bit larger than she was. But then she thought of the yowling man again:

Exactly! This is the opportunity, now or never. Just as she was about to go for the bite, the chicken woke up, turned its head once in confusion, flinging her into the damp grass as it did so. Then it went back to sleep, the chicken.

But the little bat lay dazed, breathing the cool air, the damp grass, the earth, the sweet fruit, and the dark wood of the forest. No, I'm not mean and nasty, I'm just little and nice. But that's good too, that's just my nature.
-----------------

The 2020 Bat starts with ripe, but not as overripe fruit as described above. They are determinative at first and would quickly become annoying if not for dry hay and moist soil. Fortunately, the fruits also withdraw quite quickly, are still present, but no longer dominant. The minerals are also very noticeable, which has something. The start is marked for me by an interesting contrast of damp (fruits, earth) and dry notes (hay, minerals). That is already quite well done.
Soon, a certain animalism is added. A slightly ashy note from the jasmine I would blame for this. This often bothers me, but here it fits quite well. Pissy or fecal smells there for me nothing. A little smoky and spicy is the whole also.
Towards the base, the animalism increases somewhat, leather flashes briefly times, dark wood and vetiver is also well recognizable. A little sweeter it is then again, the fruit notes come through again a little stronger and that's it then unfortunately already, because the durability I find not so intoxicating. The silage is, especially compared to other zoologists rather restrained.
Positively I would like to emphasize that no musk is built here. Musk is in many fragrances of Zoologist in the base somewhat overdosed, in my opinion (funnily enough, but not with the Musk Deer). However, I'm also not a big musk fan.

The Bat of 2020 is for me a perfectly wearable and also accessible fragrance. I would have wished me only a little more power and persistence. So he is on balance not evil and also not too dark, but just rather nice. However, that has quite also times what.
How the differences to the 2015s are I unfortunately do not know. If you believe the comments, that was already a different number. But whether that must necessarily be better, is on another sheet...

Condorpilot1
First encounter with Zoologist and the "Cuevas del Drach"
It once happened at the time, long before the lockdowns, that you could still travel undisturbed and explore the world. So one or the other of us may have had the opportunity to visit a stalactite cave and look at the sometimes beautifully illuminated splendor of these cave systems. Whoever has dared to descend into the depths of such a cave and search for the mysteries that might be lurking behind the many rocks, will perhaps also remember how the surroundings around one have changed abruptly after a few meters of descent. Outside, where it might be warm and dry, you are now descending into a world that seems to grow colder and colder with each meter of depth, more and more humid, more and more gloomy. Perhaps smells also come to your nose that we are not used to on the surface and rarely get to sniff. This is exactly the journey Zoologist Bat (2020) took me on when I tested the scent.

In fact, Bat in its 2020 version is the first fragrance ever that I've tested from the Canadian perfume house. In order to be able to put out my feelers for the creations of this brand at all, I once bought the entire Discovery Set with small bottlings and can now gradually get an impression of this brand. Bat made the beginning. The original 2015 version is yes discontinued and was not present in the set, so I have absolutely no comparison.

At the first spray, there was first ne strong portion of tropical fruit bomb in the nose, not at all penetrating but almost overdosed. Nevertheless, the water ran together in my mouth first, because it was wonderfully strong. However, I quickly understood why this fragrance smells the way it does and why the name "Bat" fits me like a glove. Ultimately, this fragrance is supposed to be a concept fragrance, so to speak. You can sense that perfumer Prin Limros spent a lot of time and attention to detail here to olfactorically package the natural environment that bats can call home in a bottle. The sweet powerful fruit is quickly underpinned by a light smokiness, presumably from the incense smoke, which gradually balances the scent along with green notes. This is joined by a damp murky smell that I can't describe more specifically but it totally reminds me of damp stones covered in some moss. This made me think of the Cuevas del Drach (dragon caves) in Mallorca, which I have visited two or three times. More specifically, that smell of bat triggered memories in my mind of that stalactite cave - dark, cold, rocky, slippery, mossy, damp. So much going on at once, complex yet intriguing.

With Zoologist Bat, so I felt it, I found after a long time again a fragrance of which I could say "That's exactly what I love about perfumes. That you can create worlds of fragrance with a lot of creativity and attention to detail, in that the perfumer can use and combine all his skills to combine "perfume raw materials", aroma chemicals etc. in such a way as to let the wearer travel into such a world of thought." Bat finally made me feel euphoric again, after my last visits to common perfumeries (and that was months ago, after all) where I was inwardly despairing by the newer designer fragrances of the last two-three years. Finally, once again a fragrance with its own character!

The impression that Bat leaves is that of a total work of art. This perfume is by no means in a clear category to divide, let alone describe with one or two adjectives. It really has it all: sweet, fruity, aquatic, stony, earthy, mossy, dry, green, smoky, woody, floral. The whole thing, however, not in a way that everything together becomes an unbearable wild brew, but each of these nuances is felt parallel or alternately perceptible.

While it's hard for me to say what occasions this fragrance is wearable for. But even if he is nothing for one, I think you have to appreciate the creativity behind this fragrance, because the find unmistakable.
Interesting
Interesting. That's what Alfred Biolek used to say on his cooking show when a dish tasted, shall we say, only so-so. Similarly, I feel with "Bat".

I'm a lover of animalic scents, as you know. And this fragrance is one of the most animalic I have ever smelled. Unfortunately, however, even I find the animalism here a little exaggerated. It smells strongly of urine. If this note were a little more discreet, "Bat" would definitely be more portable.

Because over time, this pee note settles and makes way for the other, quite nice parts. I smell especially the fig out. However, I also wonder with notes like "stone", how that should smell. The I would like to smell pure to learn what Zoologist has thought of it.

It's hard for me to draw a conclusion here. As an experiment, I like "Bat" just fine. Whether it's wearable in this form is another question that leaves me somewhat perplexed. In view of the fact that even after more than an hour still swathes of urine come to my nose, I have certain doubts. I notice relatively little of the heart notes that read promisingly. That is a pity
5.5
Igitt-19...?
Pulp, A*Men, Blask, Kouros, Succus - just to name a few fragrances, which at the beginning sometimes pushed me hard to get my nose up, but which became absolute favourites with sometimes more, sometimes less time, personal as well as general milestones and fragrances that stay in my head. "Bat" makes me feel similar - only so far/probably unfortunately without the turn to the positive...

Since the concept of the brand more than appeals to me, many fragrances sound super interesting and the "T-Rex" was already right for me, I ordered their complete sample set in Canada when my test stocks were low. And now it's off through the zoo - with a first stop in this fruity lazy bat cave. But I would have loved to storm out of it again, so aggressive and biting and mean is "Bat". Of course, I don't know the older version - but this 2020 fruit bat is a little bloodsucker that gives me goose bumps - and not really in a pleasant or even erotic sense.

Animalistic, leathery, but standing knee-deep in a mud of passion fruit and bat excrement. From fascinating and sometimes brave to poo and nastiest, everything is here. Overripe would definitely still be too timidly expressed here. It's getting mouldy and stings a lot. The comparison with "Pulp" is obvious, but "Bat" goes two or three steps further without shame. For me, a concept fragrance that is difficult to wear. Only when it's leathery and shady siesta phases are more pleasant and more likely to be worn. But even then never quite. Nevertheless, I still really want this olfactory state zoo from Canada
Flacon: a grandiose concept, a great style, cute pictures
Sillage: rather Batman than a small, sweet bat
Durability: hardly to brake - blind flight up to at least 10 hours!

Conclusion: a mouldy, rotten flycatcher, an already slightly fungus-mineral passion fruit - "Bat" is a beastly challenge that I don't want to face at the moment. Rather "experiment + respect" than "wow + want to buy".

Images

7 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Zoologist

Bee by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Dragonfly (2017) by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Musk Deer by Zoologist Chipmunk by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Macaque (2016) by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2020) by Zoologist