Rhinoceros 2014

Version from 2014
Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist
Rhinoceros (2014) is a perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2014. The scent is leathery-smoky. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Paul Kiler

Top Notes Top NotesRum, Bergamot, Lavender, Elemi resin, Sage, Mugwort, Coniferous woods
Heart Notes Heart NotesPine, Tobacco, Immortelle, Geranium, Oud, Chinese cedar
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Sandalwood, Amber, Smoke, Leather, Musk

Submitted by Michael, last update on 01.12.2020.

The scent was originally labeled as Eau de Parfum. In 2017, it was reclassified to Extrait de Parfum in accordance with the actual perfume oil concentration of 20%.

Venomrock101
Rhino-skin rug in a whiskey room
You ever see one of those bearskin rugs where they have the entire thing skinned and laid flat on the ground? This smells like if they made one of those out of a rhinoceros, and put it in a rich person’s whiskey room. The fragrance opens up with you laying on this rug, a super sun baked, ashy, dry leather that feels like it could break and crack at any moment but doesn’t due to its resilience. I don’t really get a middle to this fragrance all that much, because the parched leather sticks around for quite awhile and is the star of the show for most of the fragrance, but eventually it does break its hold on the fragrance, and it softens to more of a soft suede scent. Like you got tired of the top of the rug and decided to flip it over to get to a velvet underside. This part of the fragrance until it faded away is super soft, smooth, and kinda dark. Like a black suede. Their are also boozy undertones to this entire fragrance that do stop it from being a pure leather fragrance, but the booze is never strong enough to steal the show. Because of the booze and leather this fragrance just radiates my idea of rich and classy and ended up being my third from the house. Try before you buy.
Drunk, cigar-smoking pachyderm
I have already tested Zooloist's Camel, Elephant, Moth, Bee & Bat and Rhinoceros was the fragrance I found hardest to rate. I simply love Camel and Bee from opening to closing. I didn't really like Elephant, Moth & Bat.

The rhino doesn't want to please you directly. I had to test him several times because I found him really repulsive at first. In short: You have to give him several chances and not run straight to the sink if you don't like the opening.

When I got my bottling, I only smelled disinfectant and strong, smoky leather. I put the sample back in the cupboard and dealt with other samples.
Recently, however, I sprayed the rhino on my wrist and finally also around my neck. I got only bad feedback from all the people I showed the scent to, but he just wouldn't let go of me.

The top note is really extremely obtrusive and clears you out of the way. The mixture between the powerful rum and the citric bergamot makes you gasp for breath. However, it is by no means unpleasant or even disgusting for my nose.

The fragrance gradually dries and settles in the room. Heavy and always perceptible.
Every now and then you can perceive a light breeze of smoky sand, which again takes up the theme of the rhino and transports you into the glowing heat of the savannah with a light breeze. The leather base is always present and resonates for many hours.

Just imagine a rhinoceros crashing through your front door and settling down in your living room on the old leather armchair in front of the fireplace, demanding a glass of whisky from you and lighting up a thick Cuba cigar.

After about 10 hours the rhino has exhausted itself and apparently lies down to sleep. Until then, many hours pass, in which the scent becomes drier and drier.
The base then consists of the dusty sand of the desert and the smoky breath of the pachyderm.

It is absolutely understandable if you can't do anything with this composition, but for me it is perfectly realized and simply great. It is an exceptional fragrance. A fragrance that makes no prisoners. Either you like it or you avoid me.

Meanwhile a bottle of the 2014 edition is on its way to me (luckily I got another one) and I am very curious what the new edition of this year has to offer.
Splitter
A blind purchase becomes a signature scent
After a long time as a silent observer, it is finally time for my first comment. I have saved this one especially for this exceptional fragrance Rhinoceros was my first zoologist and a blind purchase based on description and grades alone. And he sparked my great interest in this brand. Sure, the individual animals and their habitats are sometimes difficult to define, even more difficult is to get concrete pictures into your head, which are equally realistic. But I don't want to go into that at all.

Let's get to the rhino.
I wear perfume on my arms and dare to apply two sprays of it without any problems. Then it trots up, the rolling creature. Powerfully recognizable, the almost pungent note of rum, paired with the citric note of bergamot and almost so intense that I lose my breath. But not in a touch of disgust or other negative feelings, but in awe and with expectation of what is coming.

Yeah, I know what I'm doing.
No sooner has the first breeze passed by than an olfactory symbiosis starts, which is inconspicuous and, as it were, impossible to overlook. The scent sits dry on me and in the room. Heavy and sedate it remains there. Like a grater, tobacco, oud and softwood floats through the air, as it were agile, and knows how to please. Every now and then a wind seems to blow in the theatricality of the rhino in the savannah, whirling up smoky dust. Not too strong to cover everything and yet strong enough to be clearly present. Even the leather note from the base is always present and resonates for hours.
This symbiosis lasts for 8-10 hours, during which time the scent slowly dries out until the rhino lies down to sleep and only the base remains. Dry, dusty sand, smoky breath, large pachyderm.

Yes, I can understand that not everyone likes this composition. But to ascribe it to the heaviness and complexity - not in the form of phases, but components - because of a rather older audience, I can't understand at the end of 20. Rhinoceros is a fragrance for courageous people who either rely on a brilliant appearance followed by a calm presence, or like to try out how old familiar components can be combined in new ways. It is for people who like to experiment and those who do not shy away from dusty dry scents. Because what Rhinoceros does, it does right. It is by no means soft, supple and round, but plays skilfully with its edges, which cannot be sanded down, but which also do not rub off everywhere. In short: I like this exceptional scent.

Maybe it is indeed a fragrance that you love or hate, that does not come across as indifferent.
But one thing Rhinoceros taught me is that sometimes blind buying is the best decision you can make
4.5
Dried tea tree oil
My first zoologist test. From the DNA, I might like it. I've heard that zoologist scents are unusual and not for everyone. Sounds good! I am curious.

It starts immediately leathery, very citric and slightly spicy in MY nose. A very pungent and penetratingly unpleasant composition.

After half an hour it reminds me very much of the smell of tea tree oil dried in a fragrance lamp! The silage is very strong and unpleasant.

After two and a half hours, the smell is only milder, but still the same.

In the third hour it slowly becomes spicier-woody, but still has a musty undertone, and the silage completely covers my actual edT (I wore Boss Bottled that day and had this one sprayed on my forearm just to test it once).

After five hours, the silage has now become much weaker and is now disappearing behind the boss. But the smell itself has become more interesting. Now it is leathery-woody and the citrusy note has almost disappeared. I guess that's what's been bothering me all this time. I can't smell leather and citrus. Always seems musty...

Well, now it's become interesting, but hardly noticeable. Another "drydown favorite".

Nouances, like rum and tobacco, I did not notice at all. And smoke... well, may well have been there, but due to the citric note, it hardly comes into its own, in my opinion. Less citrus and more smoke would have been good for him and might have made my opinion more positive.

So it's not the rhino for me. But there are other animals in the series. Let's see...

0.5
Rhino, not on me!
I unpack the perfume sample and give myself a good spray directly on my neck. While I am now sitting on my chair and waiting to see if and how the perfume develops, I suddenly notice a strange smell.
"Where did I end up here?" I think to myself, "The dentist?" "But, this can't be right!". I close my eyes, open them again and realize: I'm still sitting on the chair in my rooms (for safety's sake I pinch my arm slightly), not at the dentist. But then where does this smell of the dentist's office I trust come from? Finally, I reach for the scent sample and sniff it. "WAAAAAAAS?", it rushes through the coils of my central nervous system, "that's not that perfume smell?!?
Just at the beginning, shortly after spraying, I perceive this smell for about 2 hours in the same way. It smells unnatural and very strange. But well, I give it a chance and wait for it to develop. But unfortunately the smell does not improve at all! After about 6 hours I notice a smell that I know from discotheques in my youth: the muff of artificial fog, which is often used in dance halls before the stroboscope light comes on.
The latter makes me at least a little nostalgic and the thoughts wander back to the days of my youth.
As I and she, dear perfume enthusiasts, note, I cannot recognize nature in any way, which is said to be hidden here in the form of the "rhinoceros". Neither the scents of the animal nor the flora in which it lives, I can determine. Therefore for me unfortunately absolutely nothing.
On the other hand, I don't want to get too close to anyone who likes and appreciates this perfume.
I will try other scents from "Zoologist". Maybe I'll have better luck there ;)
Rhino feeling for home
Rhinoceros is only my second zoologist and, to be honest, I'm not keen on getting to know them all, because certain scents don't appeal to me, no matter how well the concept behind them has been implemented. I found Rhinoceros exciting because of the leather in the base note, from the dino I already knew that zoologist can do something. Since then the Dino has been very popular with my son, but that's another story.

Now the bottling arrived a few weeks ago and test one was due. Wow, that was intense. For me it felt like chamomile and savannah, like drought and dust. Put away for now. Test two went more friendly, single notes came through, the leather was tangible but actually covered under a layer. Okay, matches the rhino, the skin is just covered with a light crust or dust.

It does not happen every day that a fragrance requires me to do many tests before I even have an opinion about it. Memoir Man is such a case for me, I like the beginning less, later it becomes great but still it leaves me helpless. That did not happen here but we had to take our time.
All the ingredients listed may be contained, few I could have isolated so olfactorically on my own, but in retrospect everything makes sense. In a way, it is analogous to the interpretation analysis of a novel. You can guess that Rhinoceros has rum in it, but it's hard to guess because we don't have any sweet rum here, it's rather medicinal and dull. An esteemed commentator wrote something about iodine gauze bandages and that is understandable. Because this rum is bitterly refreshed by bergamot, the sage gives the tart note that first made me think of camomile (more about this later), mugwort hits the same notch. Before the leather comes up, this dry and tart aura kills you, from the leather on it actually becomes very pleasant. And the leather doesn't work any more either.
Now a resinous sweetness is added, which is unmistakably derived from coniferous woods. It becomes a bit intrusive for a short time and then it becomes smokier. I don't know what causes the smoke, but I think it's more like dust that surrounds the rhino's movements. It will be some kind of smoking resin, which seems rather weak in its expression and is possibly supported by the tobacco. It smells a bit metallic, slightly reminiscent of lead, sometimes also of fading black powder.
From here on it is now difficult for me to name individual contents, only the cedar I think I can guess. Rhinoceros is still developing and says goodbye to many individual scents to a basic scent. From the cedar, at any rate, emanates the peace and grace that this animal can bring with it, despite its massive appearance. I had to read Immortelle and here I realized that this flower was responsible for my camomile-intention. It literally plays with you and this since second one. Every now and then the scent becomes more intense, then it recedes slightly, becoming darker yellow in colour with time. More intensive in smell, less strong in perception, that's how Rhinoceros works. The leather remains omnipresent, chamomile and dust alternate.
What can I say? Rhinoceros is now on my watch list of yet to be purchased fragrances. It will certainly not be used every day at potential purchase (well, it will hardly be a fragrance anyway) but here and there it will be. I find the topic rhinoceros territory successfully converted and above all also portable created. The leather is consistently there without changing much. Like the rhinoceros it is blunt so that the other scents can attach themselves and everything becomes one like the rhino with its environment.
2.5
Dreaans
"Rhinoceros" hits it very well!
Actually there is not much to say about this fragrance, the name is very fitting. This scent will knock you on your ass, without warning it will - like a rhinoceros - hit you on the nose with its horn. For me it also brings a scent that I would expect in the jungle. But whoever thinks of fresh rain now, no, that's not what I mean! Rather dark, dirty, damp, earthy, muggy! Whether good or bad I would not like to say here at all. For me definitely nothing that I can bear longer than a few seconds. Unfortunately I was very impetuous and sprayed the scent directly on my wrist without touching it. The scent then accompanied me for a good 1.5 days. In spite of several attempts to get rid of it or to spray it over me, it persisted stubbornly on my skin.
My estimation, if you are a tough guy you don't need this scent, otherwise you probably kill everything within a radius of 10 meters directly. So something for softies? Probably more, but it takes a lot of getting used to!
Leko
What's a rhino doing in a coniferous forest? A lot :-))
A rhinoceros is heavy? Oh, yes, it is.
It's a wild animal? Yeah, it's full-on animalistic.
Could it be that it walked through a wooden sauna directly after the eucalyptus infusion and the sauna was in a coniferous forest? Yes, exactly... and if you're not careful, the cattle will run you down.

But if you step aside and let the rhino romp, he will calm down and show his true face more and more. The complex, thick-skinned, leathery animal, but which reacts sensitively when provoked.

Well, slightly medically it was well treated, because it becomes calmer quite fast Wonderful, then I can enjoy the beautiful animal in the wild nature ...

The name is apt, because the fragrance comes impetuously pure. Later it becomes softer and exotic-leathery.
With closed eyes you could imagine really thick African leather.
It also has a fine, complex nature that likes to combine with spices and resin.

Because of the force with which the animal runs into the nose, I can well imagine that it separates the spirits.
One is fascinated or turns away. Maybe there is simply no middle ground with some fragrances
For me it is a very special fragrance, in every respect, which is also unrivalled.
Benedikt2019
Visit to the pharmacy - do you also have something against rhinitis (sniffles)?
With a bad cold he dashes to the pharmacy, he has to go to work today, but with a bad cold? No way, we have to do something about this stupid sniffer!

Arriving on site, he immediately tells the pretty pharmacist that nasal breathing is currently not possible or only possible with difficulty. She then suggests to him with a mysterious look that she had something - a completely new remedy - that could probably help him and that all day long! Unbelievable, he thinks to himself, that's something! He quickly inquires about the miracle elixir and gets a perfume bottle placed in front of his "nose". "Rhinoceros - Zoologist" is written on it and under the name you can see a nice picture of one of them. He's laughing But what the heck, he is now ready for fun despite the increasingly bad male flu and can be filled with 2ml of the elixir.

In front of the pharmacy, he immediately - as recommended by the lovely pharmacist - applies 4 sprays to his neck and immediately notices how essential oils tickle his nostrils. Clearly, that appears to be eucalyptus! But that's not even on the ingredients list. Hm, he still can't get rid of that smell. He also perceives beautiful old leather. Leather and eucalyptus and that should stay that way for a long time.

Even a few hours later, on the way to work, the elixir had not lost any of its strength. He could now breathe again, as the eucalyptus note was still very strong. Just like a cold bath to spray on. The leather underneath fits - as he thinks - great. He only noticed a little bit of the smoke he was supposed to smell at the beginning, then nothing more came. He therefore concluded that the fragrance in question seemed to be a leathery green scent. Of the other ingredients he perceived only little! Leather and eucalyptus, that's it. But now he could explain the ethereal effect: Pine and resin, it had to be!

When he was sitting on his sofa again 12 hours later - the working day was over - he noticed that the scent was still clearly perceptible. But now lighter, a touch of leather rubbed with essential oils was still to be smelled. Great, he thought. The nose was now free by the way. No cold in the world can survive this smell. Indeed, he had to realize that he had never smelled such a leather scent before. Unique, long-lasting but certainly also strenuous at times, especially if you don't need a free nose ;)

Boozy smoky leather
As a fan of boozy scents, I was excited to try this one. Unfortunately, the booziness here is completely devoid of sweetness and accompanied by only a harsh black leather. Like the ashy opening of Tuscan Leather, but without the lovely raspberry to balance things out. The leather even becomes a bit chemical to me as it dries down—like burning plastic. Not completely repulsive, but too much for too long for me. Hard pass.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 5 months ago
A rather challenging and very boozy spicy-green leather fragrance, intensified by its pronounced smoky-woody base. Keep sprays to a minimum!
Syzygy73Syzygy73 9 months ago
Opens with a dry smoky stringency that dries down to a lovely sweet, almost biscuity oud. Reminds me a little of Incense Flash from Tauer.

by PaulKiler
by Shivsri13
by Venomrock101
by Venomrock101

Popular Zoologist

Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Dodo (2019) by Zoologist Bat (2020) by Zoologist Panda (2014) by Zoologist