Snowy Owl 2021

Snowy Owl by Zoologist
Snowy Owl is a new perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2021. The scent is earthy-green. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesSnowSnow Lily of the valleyLily of the valley MintMint CoconutCoconut
Heart Notes Heart NotesIrisIris SnowdropSnowdrop White roseWhite rose MatéMaté FrankincenseFrankincense GalbanumGalbanum
Base Notes Base NotesAmbretteAmbrette CedarCedar CivetCivet MuskMusk OakmossOakmoss Tonka beanTonka bean VanillaVanilla

Submitted by multiple users, last update on 20.06.2022.

Obituary of Hedwig

Hedwig the Snowy Owl came into the public eye in 1991.

At that time, her creator J.K. Rowling provided her with a young student of magic. From then on, the two had countless adventures in several world-famous novels.

She was indefatigable and always dutifully on duty in the postal service throughout much of Great Britain. To her young companion she was always a faithful friend and comforter in times of loneliness.

Her violent and senseless death in 1997 at the dastardly hands of a Death Eater was, for her many fans, one of the most dramatic scenes in the novels. May this beautiful and majestic white owl remain forever in the hearts of her readers young and young at heart.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snowy Owl is the first fragrance from Zoologist that I tested. I was expecting something very conceptual but not very wearable in everyday life. Ever since I read Snow in the Pyramid, I've been pondering what snow actually smells like. Fresh, definitely, clear and cold. But what does cold smell like? There I am already before the next problem.

Snowy owls live in the tundra and there is permafrost. Sometimes the top layer thaws, then it becomes really nice and wet and swampy. The fragrance captures this amazingly well. It starts out fresh, cold and earthy. Not that I-bury-in-the-grave patchouli earthy, but fresh earth with ice crystals in it. They come from the mint and stay there too, for hours.

That said, I also smell thaw, with a lot of green. I think that's where the stems of the snowdrops are thawing. Very much more course does not develop on me, only at the very end, so after 6 - 7 hours, comes a slight sweetness to it. Just a hint, barely perceptible. Maybe she cuddles there in her nest.

Something animalistic I can not find in the fragrance, neither civet nor captured lemmings, the main food of snowy owls. Luckily no coco in my place either, they'd struggle to grow in the cold.

Does the fragrance meet the theme? For me, quite clearly yes.

Is the fragrance wearable? But certainly! Maybe not every day and also not for the big appearance, but if you have the need for coolness and clarity he is optimal.

Useless side note: In the Harry Potter movies, Hedwig was portrayed by male owls, as female snowy owls do not have pure white plumage.

MlleTaffanel
Actually, I don't...... do!
Snowy Owl is certainly not the kind of scent I usually prefer. It was curiosity about what snow smells like that made me order a scent sample.
Well, Snwoy Owl definitely smells like snow. Like snow and mint - coconut - ice. At first, there is a very earthy note to it. It reminds me of a ski slope in spring (or a climate crisis - winter), when the soil comes through under the snow cover. At least I have this image in mind.
The soil quickly disappears (thankfully) and what's left is the snow, with a few shy little flowers pushing through. Which ones exactly? I don't know, but they're not particularly fragrant. I have to believe the scent pyramid. For this, the coconut remains present for quite a while.
Finally, only the vanilla survives the snow drift, together with the oakmoss and the tonka bean.
As mentioned at the beginning, Snowy Owl does not match my prey scheme. In fact, all I wanted to do was smell the snow, think about the cabin party, and use up the bottling. And then I wore it for three days and was disappointed when the scent-winter was over. The icy, coldness won me over on the second sniff after all. Also, the scent makes me feel very calm (must be the snow). And in the summer he works pretty sure strongly cooling. Would be yes also an advantage...
Finally, he landed on my wish list
Very... authentic?
First of all: snowy owl is a very authentic fragrance for me. It seems cool, wet, icy, green. I smell bitter, wet moss in the opening - probably the mate in combination with snow. After about 10 min it becomes a little sweeter - but still icy bitterness and the oak moss is clearly perceptible. As already said: authentic - a zoologist. but for me nothing suitable for everyday use. Has on my skin something of wet basement the first minutes, which are difficult for me to bear. Gradually the icy, bitter cold disappears. Here I notice the white feathers. A little dusty but soft. Interesting. But not my preference of scents. However, worth an experience and smell.
Bloody cold
"Such filthy cold, and in the middle of April!" grumbled Max, as he went to the shed early in the morning at sunrise to fetch a spade. "Can't I wait till noon to do the job? The ground's still all firm and frozen?" he asked into the glassy sky streaked with soft rays of sunshine. "No! It has to be now, while it's still cool and frosty!" came the voice of his maker out of nowhere with a rumble.
"What's it for anyway? And can't I dig the hole over there in the slightly softer potting soil?" inquired Max further. "No! It must be here, where the soil is clay, and adorned with beautiful snowdrops and the fresh grass!" spoke his Maker. "Good heavens, but what for? Why this fuss in the middle of the morning? Besides, these flowers look much more like lilies of the valley!" continued poor Max, whining to himself.
The earth vibrated and his slowly growing angry creator answered, "Max! When Moses was told by his Creator to climb the holy mountain, he didn't ask any questions either...he just did it and that's that!"
"Oh shit, but I'm hungry, I need breakfast to have enough strength to dig a hole here!" the Chosen One continued to complain, like a petulant child.
The bright blue of the canopy of the sky opened up with thunderous sounds to form a crack that for a brief moment allowed a glimpse into the utter infinity of existence. A small object fell out of the crack and landed directly in front of Max. It was a coconut flavored Corny cereal bar. Max ate the bar and began to dig until his maker finally spoke "Stop! Take this frozen piece of clay with the clumps of grass on it covered in dew in your hands!"
"All right boss...now do you want me to mold Adam and Eve 2.0 out of it or what?" the Chosen One wanted to know further. "It's enough if you smell it and tell me what it smells like"
Max brought the lump to his nose and said "Well, just smells like a damn lump of frozen earth with a few tufts of grass on it....and now?"
"Nothing now....your order is hereby terminated!" boomed out the Creator's reply.
"Waaaaas, you've got to be kidding me!!!" roared Max.

Poor Max will never know that I, his almighty creator, only had him dig the hole in the frozen clay so that I would have a suitable example scenario for this review to better describe Zoologist's "Snowy Owl" fragrance.

___________________________________________________________________________

So, the scent starts off absolutely great with an indefinable, very dry coldness (you can't tell it's mint and coconut unless you read it's in there). There's no telling how this snow accord is made, but it certainly seems authentic to me.
Green, grassy elements follow, which might appeal to friends of, say, "French Lover", but all much lighter and drier.
After about 2 hours, the whole thing falls apart and all that remains is an inconsequential musk base, accompanied by the mysterious dirtiness that accompanies head, heart and base note from the beginning. This earthiness somehow floats along in the sillage independently of the actual scent and is gone as soon as you smell it directly on your arm. It's not the smell of potting soil, as in Figment Man by Amouage, and it's not the smell of dark peat, as in Nightcap by Dunhill (have fun people asking for a bottle of that at Douglas).
So In Snowy Owl, it's dry, frozen clay that is the complete sillage characteristic of this perfume. The rest of the magic takes place up close and personal on your arm for you!

So! And now I went outside today sprayed with it, happened to meet my aunt and said "Here smell my arm"
She sniffed and said "Mhm smells funny...it doesn't smell bad but good either, what is that?"
I replied, "It's a perfume that is supposed to reflect the scent of a snowy owl's habitat....fascinating isn't it?"
She said, "Mhm...well okay...." and walked on, unimpressed.

And that's the crux of why I give the fragrance a 7.5 and not an 8 or 9. It doesn't manage to retain an emotional component over a longer wear time. I want a perfume to touch my feelings. That can be negative sometimes and you are stirred up and say "Ewww" or you are moved to tears because a fragrance creates beautiful, atmospheric images in your head that make you dream. Unfortunately, Snow Owl only manages to do just that for the first 5 minutes with the snow accord. The rest is a somewhat green musky ground noise with floating clay particles. Quiet and disappeared after 7 hours anyway.

I'm not a professional and what I'm about to say is already petty whining on a high level, but perhaps an ozonic note symbolizing the flying of the owl would have given it a bit more emotional depth.

So it remains a quite nice, but for Zoologist mediocre fragrance. Too bad, because I would have rather identified with a snowy owl instead of a sloth, but Sloth scores much higher with me right now
Spring...... well....
Spring, light jacket, but a warm scarf. The first flowers are making their way through the snow ... the snow is melting.... You want to laugh out loud because the sun is finally here, but the cold wind is choking your throat . All this surprisingly fits in one bottle. Definitely a "must" - spring without this miracle is not so bright and colorful!

Landshark321
Fresh woody floral, nicely balanced
This is my first try of the latest release from the house of Zoologist, Snowy Owl, created by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz. It’s fresh, floral, green, and woody, balancing the concept of snow with the wooded habitat of its namesake. The note selection is varied and interesting, the most prominent to me being lily of the valley, mint, iris, mate, resins, cedar, civet, and musk. It has a vegetal aroma, as well, though not nearly as heavily as in the early version of Panda.

Overall, Snowy Owl feels like a good balance of realistic outdoor expressions (florals, woods) and more artistic, fantastic elements of snow, and this makes for a really pleasant, easily wearable perfume. Predictably it’s a little more pronounced and a bit sharper, with almost an herbal smell in the opening, and it dries down to a smoother blend over time, which is not at all surprising.

Snowy Owl is priced at $165 for 60ml (roughly in line with the rest of the house) at 25% (parfum) concentration and is sold via the house site and all of the great boutiques through which it is usually sold, including Perfumology, Indiescents, and Luckyscent. I’d certainly recommend Perfumology because of the great service and spray samples available.

7 out of 10
Can, may, will I make friends with it? - An attempt at explanation
I'm irritated. Uncertain. Confused.
While Carner, for example, was able to go one better in terms of expressiveness and character with the Bestium Collection last year after the Black Collection, which was already screaming for a statement, Zoologist somehow shows exactly that with the Soft Musc Series, but isn't there something missing?
Sure, the flacons of the Limited Editions are a dream, although I do not understand why just these two got one, at the same time I'm also a little disappointed. Rightly?
With over 20% perfume oil content, both previous representatives of the series remain very timid and subliminal. Is that still part of the concept and creativity or is something missing here?

But I would like to come times to Snowy Owl, about which it should be here.
With a fresh and pleasantly earthy start here is indeed again more of Zoologist's typical statement character, but that is then quite quickly gone and it blooms quite a lot in the cooling desert, which is actually - at least on me - quite well pronounced.
Further carries the fragrance then to the very pleasant earthiness more and more florals, but also the harder fresh notes from the base let peek through.
In this respect, again a damn well done fragrance. All notes are clearly recognizable and play harmoniously with each other.

Yes, it is a delicate and timid fragrance. But also an edgy, courage demanding oddity. A white fragrance for gothic lovers I would like to say.
For me, as beautifully made as I find it, it is ultimately too intensely floral.
But who winter floral fragrances with feathery, mossy earth appeals, could probably find a little treasure here.

At this point again a thank you to Lissadell, which let me get this magical sample and without which I would probably have dared a blind purchase and regretted for me
Can96
A freshly formed snowball!
Imagine absolute silence in the deep white snow north of the Arctic Circle.
In our mind's eye, nothing seems to exist, it's soundless & the snow seems to have not yet walked on.
A quick glance up reveals a silent predator foraging close to thundering into the ground at light speed, disappearing into the thick snow for a brief moment. Lo and behold, our harmless-looking owl has made a find...

Just as you can imagine this place, so does this scent.

In the top note and also already at the sniffing of the bottle you have this Fresh typical snow smell in the nose.

Excellent !

Conclusion:
You know it, if you are looking for a winter fragrance, you bump as a man often to the known but still heavy fragrances such as VR Spicebomb Extreme or TF Noir Extreme. With the Snowy owl, you can clearly deviate from this theme and dedicate the name "winter fragrance" all honor.

However, I have to pass at the price-performance ratio, for this it should be an "Extrait", the durability & fragrance development is not really the main issue with this fragrance.
It is the lifestyle he offers, for all those who are looking for a clean winter fragrance.
Chizza
The case of the snowy owl
Inspector Wensker dared to take the step. Out of the Ruhrpott, out of Herne to Bavaria and there as the head of a small police station acting. Herne was no longer his, a rocker group made his life difficult and so he looked for a new future with pubescent daughter and dog. The request from Aicha vorm Wald came just in time. Here one found since one year no new leader for the local office.
Right on the first day he noticed the congenial but also goofy duo of experienced police officers in his office. Unfortunately, they were both also 50% of the team and the good 50% at that. He sighed, but would make the best of it. The two were called Rubert and Schaller, there was also a junior colleague who was usually beside himself and a young and dedicated policewoman who was not always taken seriously by her colleagues. Wensker thought she was the most talented of the four. As soon as he was on duty, the first case called, the capture of a snowy owl. Probably the case of the year, if not of the last few years in this small community, where at most Fifi disappeared or a farmer landed in a ditch with his tractor. Usually after an extensive barn party.

"What happened, colleagues?"
"The Huber-Ernie has had one of his snowy owls fly away, the Lisl."
"Isn't that, if anything, a matter for the fire department?"
"We only have one volunteer and the Schorschi is still taken from yesterday, his nephew's cow had calved yesterday, that was a celebration!"
"Ok good, then we'll take care of it, so I'll see you in action."
"I'll stay here though, it's bitterly cold out there and I didn't bring my glasses. How am I supposed to tell snow from snow-owl?" asked Berno.
Wensker sighed, then just nodded and told the remaining three to get ready to visit the "crime scene".

Once they arrived, Huber-Ernie stormed off at the policemen: "Well, thank God, at last! After all, the Lisl is one of my best, just last week I won the prize for the best snowy owl in all of Passau."
"All respect, how many of these owls take part?"
"You mean besides mine?"
"Yes, exactly."
"One, from Pfungerer-Bernd, I had sold him once. And now the bastard is stealing my thunder. But this time I beat him. I just put up signs to divert him and he went straight into the falconry's territory. There was quite a feather ruffling, hilarious. Haha."
Wensker found this rather disconcerting, then got a description of when Lisl was last seen and noticed a charismatic scent. This, he learned, came from the owl.
"The matter is clear, we follow the olfactory trail. Schubert and Waller, how about that?"
"No problem," Rubert replied, "I'm sort of an expert on that. Watch Jeremy on YouTube regularly and read the Parfumo ticker."
"Great, let's do it!"

A sweet fresh scent was perceived, which quickly turned green and bitter. "Is that critter chewing mint and Bounty or what's that smell, Huber-Ernie?"
"Every morning it rubs itself briefly with mint and coconut husks, that's why it smells so fresh here. But because it's so cold and snowed in, you don't notice any of the coconut."
"I see," Wensker replied. "And by snow you mean what? Well, it smells more like rocks and leaves and everything in the snow. Now it's getting bitter green, too, like the smell of broken green plant stems."
"What do you think is on the ground here under the snow?"
"Well, I guess that's true. We have to go this way, that's where the smell is coming from. I hope it won't smell like mouse carcasses later."

So the five of them walked along the trail of the owl, passing the village church. Pastor Hubertus Maier was sitting outside on the bench in the garden of the church. "Pastor, have you seen my Lisl? We are looking for you."
"Well, not seen but this trail here seemed suspicious to me."
"Ah," Schaller interjected, "the trampled iris bed here, sure thing."
"Not necessarily, I was thinking more of the dead mouse and the bird tracks."
"True," Wensker conceded, opening a mate drink first which was followed by the fizzy, aromatic taste of tea. More dominantly, though, it smelled floral and herbaceous, almost lovely. Father Maier opened a communion wine.
"Did you burn any resins here, Father?"
"Of course, the incense has been empty, so I tried galbanum. The oil. Wasn't successful. But what can you do, with this snow, my incense supplier can hardly get through."

After some further banter, they followed the owl's trail up to a tree. That's where the owl was sitting too and it was olfactory. It smelled sweet thanks to the vanilla, which was rather clean and pure. The owl had gotten that from god knows where. Further on it smelled mildly animalic, the tons of ambrette drowning out the almost skeletal civet cats and musk animals, it was more floral fresh.
"Would I like to know why there are carcasses hanging in the tree?"
"....no...?"
"Then I'll say: Mr. Huber, there's your owl, the Lisl. Obviously she has been providing her own food and catching animals that shouldn't even exist here in Bavaria and are far larger than she is. I also notice her nervous twitching, as well as her hunting rifle. I don't question that here and now. It doesn't smell like the animal corpses that are vegetating here either; I can't make out more than an olfactory background noise. In this respect: have a nice day and I end with a poem to distract them so Rubert can disarm and arrest you:
"Deep in slumber All lies
Guarded only by the moon
A white owl flies
Silently through the night
Like a flag of death it glides
She passes close by
Bringing with it a quiet shiver But not terror.""

Winter plumage
The snow falls silently from the sky in the arctic tundras and covers the shrub vegetation like powdered sugar. The snowy owl sits quietly and vigilantly on the closed snow cover, always alert to keep an eye on the next prey, should it venture out from under the snow. She looks at her hunting ground with stoic calm. Her dense, white-gray patterned plumage warms her during wind and weather. Then suddenly, a twitch in the snow. Her watchful eye doesn't miss any movement and so she spreads her wings in a flash and in a few seconds pounces on a prey that has no chance. Silently she glides back to her guarding post and freezes again in her waiting position.

Snowy Owl starts out fresh and green with a frosty effect of freshly fallen snow. The feeling of arctic air mixes with the harbingers of spring. Green flowers with a soft and very dry iris form the core of this crystal clear fragrance. The flowers are embedded in a soft musk plumage, which protects them from frost and warms them for a long time. Snowy Owl is a cuddly, silent fragrance that is uncluttered and elegant. It is pleasing and at the same time skillfully reproduces the tranquility of the snowy owl as well as the wintry atmosphere of its habitat. The scent reflects a silent admiration, pays tribute to the quiet hunter with the soft plumage. Despite the cold, a fluffy warmth is hidden deep inside. Snowy Owl tends towards the thawing period, but despite the predominantly wintry theme, the outlook for the new annual cycle is clearly noticeable.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 8 months ago
Initially fresh and aquatic, herbal floral-green, a warm and creamy, musky earthy-floral Spring fragrance, on a smooth earthy-woody base.

sehr saubere Eulen
by Carboytony
by Tiziana64
by Tiziana64

Popular by Zoologist

Bee by Zoologist Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Squid by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Dragonfly (2017) by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Musk Deer by Zoologist Chipmunk by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Macaque (2016) by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist