Squid by Zoologist
Squid is a popular perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is aquatic-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Salicylate, Frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesSalty notes, Opoponax, Drawing ink
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Benzoin, Musk

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 18.01.2021.

Aquatic Animalism
Quietly, the giant squid made its way over Challenger Deep. He did not notice the approaching danger. So the sperm whale could attack him from the darkness of the deep sea. A fierce battle broke out, which was to be seen on the whale from now on. But in the end, the squid landed in his stomach.
Many years later. I was walking along the beach, lost in thought. A small lump caught my eye. I picked it up. It was made of a hardened waxy substance and was grayish-white with many inclusions. It gave off an intriguing scent that immediately captivated me. It smelled of the sea, salty, but also animalistic. At the same time, it emanated a beguiling sweetness. I put the lump and guarded him from now on like a treasure.

"Squid" by Zoologist Perfumes is an extraordinary fragrance. Immediately after spraying it on, strong aquatic notes make themselves loudly felt. After a few minutes, they combine with powerful animalic. I have never smelled this combination before. At first it irritated me a lot. Now I find them extremely suitable.

Admittedly, there is not much natural about "Squid". True, I smell out the spiciness of pink pepper, and I can also sense the incense. But the aquatic and animalic notes seem very synthetic to me, which is confirmed by the fragrance pyramid. An exception is perhaps the ambergris, which could be real. I don't notice my absolute hate smell Opoponax at all, thank goodness. How the listed ink note should smell, I can not judge for the life of me.

As the fragrance progresses, "Squid" becomes more well-behaved. The animalic notes take themselves very back, remain in the background and give way to a sweetness, but still has a strong aquatic touch.

Overall, I find "Squid" takes some getting used to, but ultimately very successful. It lives up to its name. Also, the blue color fits perfectly. Who does not like aquatic and / or animalic notes, I advise you to leave the fingers of it. For all others, it is worth a sniff.
Ink spray
The zoo(logist) from Canada also has a medium sized aquarium - and in it there is this ocean giant, "Squid", an octopus between deep blue and... Rim of a plate?!!
Don't get me wrong, I try to eat vegetarian food as much as possible, but this giant of the sea tentacles itself between two olfactory worlds, which I have rarely smelled so homogeneously and grippingly united... A warm, powdery, almost gourmand aquate. Yes, this beachcomber is an exceptional talent. Salty waves meet sweet benzoin. Excellent! Not at all offensive or unbalanced. Poseidon and Justice are having a casual chat. The sea in the embrace of clover. Mature, sensitive, intelligent. Wide and warm. Like skin slowly drying in the sun after a long bath in the Mediterranean. Well supplied with blood and tingling - but completely relaxed and in holiday mood. Resting pulse rate of 55, unless a round of volleyball is played. Otherwise an olfactory octopus pleasure.

Flacon: blue and attractive
Sillage: I'll become the running aquarium...
Shelf life: this will be in double digits, in football this is called a pack!

Conclusion: a very warm and friendly sea dweller - "Squid" is close to the hit!
Cthulhu has called!
I'm not debating the appeal of this bottle. This color is just perfect. The portrait of the octopus is also perfect and the shape is without question one of the most beautiful on the market. The Canadians know how art works. Just for the optics alone I love zoologists.

When I ordered the koala directly from Canada in summer, I also got some samples. One of them was Squid. And I tried it on the notebook first. It was not much more than a wow. When the oxygen was enough for thoughts again, I was a bit bothered by the soft sweetness, which is somehow not sweet at all, and didn't really want to see it on me. Then this little bottle lay lonely in my mother's closet for quite a while.
Until I took it back and spent a day with it in my home office.

And there he was. A deep dark blue fragrance that I would hardly like to acknowledge as aquatic, as it lacks what I know as aquatic notes for my understanding.
Instead of freshness, spray or algae, which is just above the water surface, with the Squid we are, depending on the wave in which the scent is working on me, far below the water surface, without the influence of light, or very far out at night and calm sea. In summary: There's nothing really bright in this scent.
Instead, it is an eerily attractive composition of dark notes, which, from the beginning to the absolute end after about 10 hours, reproduces the complete scent pyramid very impressively and clearly recognizable. Especially the incense and opoponax make this fragrance so incredibly attractive and - to draw the line to the headline - subliminally hypnotizing.

Yes, okay, it's a masterpiece from the polarizing house for me and although I actually excluded the scent for myself after testing on paper, I have now happily added a bottle to my collection, given the sample bottle to my grandmother and sit with the pleasant waves of the squid around me on the deck of a small boat far out on the ocean and toast this beautiful day with Professor Aronnax. I am trapped!
Tame giant octopus
After I was allowed to test already 13 zoologist fragrances and already 2 moved in with me, I dedicate myself today to the octopus.

At the beginning it must be said that I am not a fan of aquatic fragrances. This one, however, interested me so much because of his reviews that I had to test it.

Regarding the presentation of the flacon, it has to be said that zoologists really do show an above-average quality here, which is naturally also reflected in the price. With the squid flacon, "Pirates of the Caribbean" vibes somehow come back to me. Even though Davy Jones doesn't look a bit like the picture, I still have to think about it.

On to what you're probably all here for. The scent!
After the first spray I take a lot of incense, pepper, salty notes and a shot of ink was. The scent is anything but an unpleasant, fishy aquat. No!
It brings a very pleasant sweetness to my nose and the incense keeps all notes, which could become unpleasant when overdosed, very well in check.
The benzoin and ambergris as a base note naturally ensure that animalism is not neglected. For me, however, it is definitely not an animal scent, as it has absolutely no smell of a fish market or similar.

Squid is with Camel one of the most portable zoologists, because all notes are perfectly matched. It remains salty throughout, but not obtrusively salty. Squid is a very mystical fragrance, with the theme more than perfectly realized. It smells like sea.
Not according to summer, sun, beach-sea (as for example Soleil Blanc does). But like the sea from "Pirates of the Caribbean". The octopus rises out of the sea and pulls the ship and crew with it.
Because of the ink, he reminds me while wearing it again and again of my first tattoo appointment and what fear I had to put under the needle.

I had Oud Mineralè on my wish list at the beginning and I had assumed that the two would be similar. After my test I can say that there are 2 completely different fragrances that have nothing in common. While Oud Mineralé for me was more of a salty, algy wave with a mild breeze, Squid is a warm, spicy aquat that knows how to play out its strengths and convinced me from the first second on.

The shelf life is about 6-7 hours and the sillage is absolutely ok. He is not an absolute breaker who knows how to put others in their place, but you will be noticed. Alone already by the unique scent composition.

In conclusion, Squid is really very complex, but this does not mean that it is not something for beginners. Quite the opposite. The fragrance is a perfect introduction to the animal house from Canada. Definitely test it!

Thanks a lot for reading!
No dark, cold octopus
Second comment - from the zoologist sample order this time the squid.

Aquatic scents are not really my cup of tea. Vaguely remind me of a completely failed double date in my youth, where my potential "crush" had completely covered himself and the car with a suspected Davidoff water... handsome face, bright blue eyes... oh dear, on closer inspection a slight fluff of the upper lip is visible, and... let's not kid ourselves, yes, it's a VokuHiLa! The discotheque (I'm sure Wendler has performed there as well) is a perfect match, while I just made my first tentative contacts with patchouli oil... a match made in Heaven! Thanks to the sillage of his perfume there were no further embarrassing situations... as soon as we got over the car ride, we went our separate ways. Or something like that For my taste, aquatic-fresh has remained the opposite of pleasantly attractive...

Squid has made me very curious because of the reviews so far. With scepticism at the same time (octopus in an indoor swimming pool, is that what you need?) but I thought to myself, in case of doubt I just have a speck of art.

Phase 1 - Test strips: for one afternoon and evening I smelled the 3 Zoologist test strips again and again. After my nose, blown away by the Bat's Mineral Camphor puff, had returned to my face, it didn't really want Squid. Inside I had already adjusted to "special, but probably not wearable". At the very beginning of the test strip he presented himself as cool and tingly, just like cold water would taste, but not salty, but perhaps rather chlorous... which is not really true. I was at a loss. It didn't remind me of my aquatic youth trauma in any way, but then I couldn't get excited about it either. I found the smell very intense, in the course of some hours cool, wet and sweetish. At the same time unpleasant, but also infused with beautiful, warm notes. That had to be the resins.

Phase 2 - the specimen is pressed timidly to the wrist: oh! The expected unpleasant, chlorinated water-ink top note is not so exuberant in skin contact and disappears almost immediately and completely in the "dry down" (is that how you say it? I have read this word here somewhere, but I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly)... in a first short statement I described it as an inkwell in a captain's cabin... no sign of a swimming pool! Gets wonderfully warm, resinous-sweetish. Although actually to be expected later, I think I'll smell opoponax and benzoin pretty soon. Oh, this is really, really nice! Not an unpleasant dark giant octopus, but a cabin on an old sailing ship, a desk, brocade curtains, illuminated by a small fire...

Phase 3 - Unisex test: discreetly (attached) to the man Great again. Quietly and pleasantly reminiscent of Zen for Men... which, although actually fresh, is at the same time friendly-warm and not at all biting... But in this case we could use both of them, if we had him in the house ;-)

For me, even after more courageous spraying, the resins are still in the foreground, which is why I can imagine the fragrance really well in autumn and winter as well. Yeah, he's got me. He's on the wish list now.

And unlike Bat2020, it's so portable

outstanding
The mere concept of Zoologist is fascinating, the idea of trying to associate an animal to a smell (through their habitat or something linked to them) sounds very creative but hard to pull off hence this is a house that has intrigued me long enough even though I hadn't been able to test. Suddenly my beloved girlfriend surprised me with sampler pack of 7 Zoologist vials and of course this had to be the first one I try.

Squid certainly has all the elements to link the fragrance to the titular character, you get ink, salt water, etc without compromising the scent, this is a lovely fragrance to wear for warmer weather. I would recommend this to warmer days but not for those scorching summer days, perhaps warm afternoons or mornings but I do get some cinnamon kind of not (perhaps in account of the benzoin) that may choke you on a hot summer day. Squid is lovely, I may take a couple of wears to get used to but that's what you sign in when you get into niche right?

Performance and presentation are as good as they can be, the quality of the juice is undeniable. Don't blind buy though
Lextra
One might call it an acquired taste
The anticipation was great when the letter with the squid sample fluttered into the house. Beside Squid there were three other zoologist scents scattered around in the envelope, but the jar with the shimmering blue content attracted me magically.

Round 1: The test strips. A small splash on the strip and the fragrance of the perfume is as attractive as its aesthetics. A touch of sea salt is noticeable - the sun on my skin feels warmer immediately and I feel a cool breeze blowing around my nose. The summer feelings are quickly gone again, because the fragrance becomes warmer and heavier in my heart. Light vanilla and incense form the spectacle in the drydown and last until the end. This end has not yet been reached on the test strip, although it was used 3 weeks ago. So the expectations for test round two were accordingly high.

Round 2: Up against the skin. And now the first splash on the wrist. Whoa. If you don't mind me saying so, I've never been so overwhelmed by a perfume before - but that's not at all a positive thing to say in this case. A strange smell, which actually brings a touch of fish market, almost makes my nose cry. Who in God's name could voluntarily want to smell like that? The initial shock is still deep in my bones. But I show mercy and give him the chance to moult to the wonderful smell he was at the test strip.

After 10 minutes, there is indeed salvation: the familiar mixture of incense and vanilla come to the rescue. Like on the test strip, they form the gradiose finale to such an unorthodox mixture of fragrances on my wrist. Still 9 hours later I could still hear it on me, from the 6th hour on only close to the skin.

Actually, my trial run for a perfume is over. But Squid just won't let go of me that night. So the next day he gets another chance: The spray head is already aiming towards my wrist, but I hesitate. Will I be overwhelmed again by the disgusting start of yesterday? Come on, eyes closed and done.

The little drops of scent make contact with my skin and I am completely gone: No trace of fish market! Instead, I find myself in a submarine exploring the depths of the ocean. Surrounded by deep blue water it makes its way through the unknown. A calamar swims past the window of the submarine and can be admired in all its glory. So does zoologist Squid, who only reveals its true beauty when you meet it with caution and curiosity.

KimJong
Rough sex in an old cathedral
The holy, stinky, perverted scent like having rough sex in an old cathedral. It's not the "sexy" which means attractive or seductive, it's the smell of sex literally. A unusual groin vibe different from the body odor expressed as musk, cumin and indolic jasmine. It's very unique, and I have never had a smell like this in any perfume product I've tried so far. Some people may feel disgusted with this, but I want to give it 11 points out of 10.
Valdar
Church service with squid in the indoor swimming pool
First of all, this perfume is great cinema, because it is:

- unique
- modern
- well portable
- versatile applicable
- exciting
- high quality
- good performance (S/H)
- and absolutely crazy!!

I find all the components mentioned in the pyramid...the salt, the pepper, the ink, benzoin, etc., but incense dominates from beginning to end. And that is a good thing! Through the fresh elements surrounding it, it appears clear, clean, radiant and friendly, but the ink gives it a certain uniqueness and depth.

If that weren't great enough, there's also a wondrous, chlorine-like indoor pool note that resonates in the background as a special feature.
I'm not professional enough to say for sure what creates this feeling, but I attribute it to the salicylate. This is the salt of salicylic acid, which we know in different forms from aspirin, anti-dandruff shampoos, as well as from creams against acne and athlete's foot.
This does not give the octopus a medical character, but it seems as if it does not live in dirty waters, but rather splashes around in artificially cleaned and sterilized indoor swimming pools.

Now I've been wondering all the time while wearing it how it all fits together:
Sacred incense (one of the most beautiful I know) and a fierce squid that secretes black ink and swims around the indoor swimming pool ?
And since it was like dandruff from my hair (since I have no shampoo against it) and the circle was closed The incense is smoked by a sect who pay homage to their god in a ritual ceremony in the indoor pool! For this God is none other than the mighty Cthulhu, who rose from the bottom of the sea and moved to an indoor pool, as this could be better converted into a church and, moreover, modern times require modern measures.
So let's celebrate the resurrection of the great old man with this magnificent fragrance creation!

"It is not dead that which lies eternal, till time conquers death"

Squid & incense cocktail
I can feel some sea feeling but...what i get the most is the incense, from opening tul the end. It is a nice incense, very balsámic and smoky mixed with the salty and sweet vibe of the ambergris. The benzoin and the opoponax give a steonger balsámic character while the sea salt and the ink give to the fragance the sea character. I have read somewhere that It smell like squid and It is true that It has something which makes me remember when i have CUT fresh squids. A very interesting smell although i am not sure if i would wear it.
The performance is good with a last drh down very balsámic, with the frankincense as protagonist. Unisex and i am not sure when would be the perfecto momento yo wear It, perhaps fornday time with fresh weather or for night in summer, although this is not a sexy smell. The color of the perfume is lovely!

Scent: 7.5
Longevity: 8.5
Sillage: 7
Quality/price: 6
Versatility: 6
Originality: 10
Global: 8

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 6 months ago
A rather pronounced, yet unique spicy-green and salty aquatic Summer fragrance, slowly shifting to a gentlier animalic sweet-resinous base.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 8 months ago
Squid has two parts: the sea and salty side with ambergris and ink, and a balsámic and smoky parte with the frankincense and benzoin...
Syzygy73Syzygy73 9 months ago
Church incense on a bed of sweet ambergris wrapped in airy ink. There’s something transcendent about this. Quite remarkable.

Schaut euch den Octopus an den ich am Strand fotografiert habe ;-)
by Dawg
by Emphvtic
by BoBoChamp
by BoBoChamp

Popular Zoologist

Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Rhinoceros (2014) by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Dodo (2019) by Zoologist Musk Deer by Zoologist Bat (2020) by Zoologist