Squid by Zoologist
Squid is a new perfume by Zoologist for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is aquatic-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Salicylate, Frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesSalty notes, Opoponax, Drawing ink
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Benzoin, Musk

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 30.09.2020.

outstanding
The mere concept of Zoologist is fascinating, the idea of trying to associate an animal to a smell (through their habitat or something linked to them) sounds very creative but hard to pull off hence this is a house that has intrigued me long enough even though I hadn't been able to test. Suddenly my beloved girlfriend surprised me with sampler pack of 7 Zoologist vials and of course this had to be the first one I try.

Squid certainly has all the elements to link the fragrance to the titular character, you get ink, salt water, etc without compromising the scent, this is a lovely fragrance to wear for warmer weather. I would recommend this to warmer days but not for those scorching summer days, perhaps warm afternoons or mornings but I do get some cinnamon kind of not (perhaps in account of the benzoin) that may choke you on a hot summer day. Squid is lovely, I may take a couple of wears to get used to but that's what you sign in when you get into niche right?

Performance and presentation are as good as they can be, the quality of the juice is undeniable. Don't blind buy though
Lextra
One might call it an acquired taste
The anticipation was great when the letter with the squid sample fluttered into the house. Beside Squid there were three other zoologist scents scattered around in the envelope, but the jar with the shimmering blue content attracted me magically.

Round 1: The test strips. A small splash on the strip and the fragrance of the perfume is as attractive as its aesthetics. A touch of sea salt is noticeable - the sun on my skin feels warmer immediately and I feel a cool breeze blowing around my nose. The summer feelings are quickly gone again, because the fragrance becomes warmer and heavier in my heart. Light vanilla and incense form the spectacle in the drydown and last until the end. This end has not yet been reached on the test strip, although it was used 3 weeks ago. So the expectations for test round two were accordingly high.

Round 2: Up against the skin. And now the first splash on the wrist. Whoa. If you don't mind me saying so, I've never been so overwhelmed by a perfume before - but that's not at all a positive thing to say in this case. A strange smell, which actually brings a touch of fish market, almost makes my nose cry. Who in God's name could voluntarily want to smell like that? The initial shock is still deep in my bones. But I show mercy and give him the chance to moult to the wonderful smell he was at the test strip.

After 10 minutes, there is indeed salvation: the familiar mixture of incense and vanilla come to the rescue. Like on the test strip, they form the gradiose finale to such an unorthodox mixture of fragrances on my wrist. Still 9 hours later I could still hear it on me, from the 6th hour on only close to the skin.

Actually, my trial run for a perfume is over. But Squid just won't let go of me that night. So the next day he gets another chance: The spray head is already aiming towards my wrist, but I hesitate. Will I be overwhelmed again by the disgusting start of yesterday? Come on, eyes closed and done.

The little drops of scent make contact with my skin and I am completely gone: No trace of fish market! Instead, I find myself in a submarine exploring the depths of the ocean. Surrounded by deep blue water it makes its way through the unknown. A calamar swims past the window of the submarine and can be admired in all its glory. So does zoologist Squid, who only reveals its true beauty when you meet it with caution and curiosity.

KimJong
Rough sex in an old cathedral
The holy, stinky, perverted scent like having rough sex in an old cathedral. It's not the "sexy" which means attractive or seductive, it's the smell of sex literally. A unusual groin vibe different from the body odor expressed as musk, cumin and indolic jasmine. It's very unique, and I have never had a smell like this in any perfume product I've tried so far. Some people may feel disgusted with this, but I want to give it 11 points out of 10.
Valdar
Church service with squid in the indoor swimming pool
First of all, this perfume is great cinema, because it is:

- unique
- modern
- well portable
- versatile applicable
- exciting
- high quality
- good performance (S/H)
- and absolutely crazy!!

I find all the components mentioned in the pyramid...the salt, the pepper, the ink, benzoin, etc., but incense dominates from beginning to end. And that is a good thing! Through the fresh elements surrounding it, it appears clear, clean, radiant and friendly, but the ink gives it a certain uniqueness and depth.

If that weren't great enough, there's also a wondrous, chlorine-like indoor pool note that resonates in the background as a special feature.
I'm not professional enough to say for sure what creates this feeling, but I attribute it to the salicylate. This is the salt of salicylic acid, which we know in different forms from aspirin, anti-dandruff shampoos, as well as from creams against acne and athlete's foot.
This does not give the octopus a medical character, but it seems as if it does not live in dirty waters, but rather splashes around in artificially cleaned and sterilized indoor swimming pools.

Now I've been wondering all the time while wearing it how it all fits together:
Sacred incense (one of the most beautiful I know) and a fierce squid that secretes black ink and swims around the indoor swimming pool ?
And since it was like dandruff from my hair (since I have no shampoo against it) and the circle was closed The incense is smoked by a sect who pay homage to their god in a ritual ceremony in the indoor pool! For this God is none other than the mighty Cthulhu, who rose from the bottom of the sea and moved to an indoor pool, as this could be better converted into a church and, moreover, modern times require modern measures.
So let's celebrate the resurrection of the great old man with this magnificent fragrance creation!

"It is not dead that which lies eternal, till time conquers death"

Squid & incense cocktail
I can feel some sea feeling but...what i get the most is the incense, from opening tul the end. It is a nice incense, very balsámic and smoky mixed with the salty and sweet vibe of the ambergris. The benzoin and the opoponax give a steonger balsámic character while the sea salt and the ink give to the fragance the sea character. I have read somewhere that It smell like squid and It is true that It has something which makes me remember when i have CUT fresh squids. A very interesting smell although i am not sure if i would wear it.
The performance is good with a last drh down very balsámic, with the frankincense as protagonist. Unisex and i am not sure when would be the perfecto momento yo wear It, perhaps fornday time with fresh weather or for night in summer, although this is not a sexy smell. The color of the perfume is lovely!

Scent: 7.5
Longevity: 8.5
Sillage: 7
Quality/price: 6
Versatility: 6
Originality: 10
Global: 8
A niche is opening up!
When I was allowed to perceive this fragrance for the first time, I was very surprised. It was not at all the classic top note you would expect. This fragrance deserves its own category! Salty! But not unpleasant, because a certain sweetness is creeping in. When you close your eyes, the impressions of a tentacle under the nose become very clear. And even if you don't know what black ink smells like... I would imagine it smells like that! All this harmonizes and unites better than you can imagine it in a wonderful, drizzly summer scent, which I would rather wear outside than inside.
Definitely something special, if you have tested it.
3.5
Poseidons Atlantis Disco
As a lover of animal scents one can hardly avoid zoologists... Does even the most portable one in the series fulfil its purpose? SOWAS FROM.

In the first moment of spraying, a salty herbaceous smoke note hits me. Almost like consuming the classic Montblanc Black Nasal. Strange, but still quite wearable.

But suddenly Odysseus came into play and apparently scared Poseidon so much that the poor octopus had to be used as a diaper. I am really not of a gentle nature, I wear the Vintage Kouros even in summer and I can stand a lot... But this?

Disco toilet in Atlantis... Stale urine, traces of excrement in the toilet and a strange medical note meet salty sea water and the smell of a 3 day old anchovy pizza under the bed
On the tester it's okay, but on the skin of me and a friend it's really hard stuff...

It is waterproof and therefore indestructible in the shower and radiates more than Chernobyl at its best times.

Respect to all who wear these things. On the other hand, every other brand is kindergarten.

But the flacons are all absolute works of art, and I would love to have one of them in my cupboard.

Squid (NKNN)
• ZOOLOGIST SQUID •

First of all...the color of that juice! This was an interesting one from Zoologist (which is pretty much a pleonasm). Putting this in the 'easy-loving' discovery set might be a bit of stretch, because it's far from conventional, although it is wearable for sure.

For me, this fragrance is clearly divided into two sides. On one hand, I get the inky, ambergris, aquatic scent. On the other hand, I get a peppery, spicey, warmer benzoin accord, that somehow almost reminds me of warm gingerbread or something in the direction of a spiced bread. The sides are tied together with smokiness from the incense and the opoponax. I feel like the aquatic or 'blue' notes are amplified by the color of the fragrance and the marketing, but it's not a typical marine aquatic scent at all. Salt is listed as the main note on Fragrantica for example, but in my opinion it's the pepper that clearly overpowers it in the composition.

I had to get used to it for a bit, but I didn't mind it at all later in the wear, although it's not for me. I think this would suit an older gentleman very well as far as the scent goes. The projection however, limits the wearability severely. It's an extrait de parfum, it's long lasting, but also projecting loudly for quite a while, which is something that this scent doesn't benefit from in my opinion •
AnjaTom
Squ.i.i.i.d - 3 times Ihh-(Gitt)?
Yes, to be honest that was my first encounter with the squid.
The first test is cautious in the wild (you know it), because the scents of Zoologist are not squeamish:
Eww - what is this stuff! An ink-salt faecal note? Neh can't!
Ihh - smelling directly at the atomizer - no chance!
Ihh - directly on the skin in the morning (yes I was brave)

After that I thought, no, he's not for me!
But now the really magic comes at Squid - he really gets better and better hour after hour on the skin.
No, no head note dazzler. A drydown grower!
If I had to name scents he would remind me of I would call the following:

Aqua Sextius
Armani Bleu Tourquise

But, the Squid is the only one of the three combo with a real unique selling point - an ink note - hence the reference to the Squid!
I'd say the Squid is one of the most portable Zoologist fragrances.
He remains salty through and through, but not intrusively salty.
All the more he comes into the base seems an incense/vanilla? Note through, but always remaining in the background combined with the Spicy Aquatic.
Just great, contrary to the assumption nothing that annoys, enier of the most beautiful aquatics (difficult topic with me) that I know.
If you want to get a taste of Zoologist, here is a "pleasing" beginner who is super portable for "Zoologist-relationships".
Happy Squidding! ;-)

The ten-armed bandit
Squid concentrates the diversity of the color blue, from the bright light blue to the dark ultramarine blue. With the first spray the sea is approaching. A dive into the bottomless depths of the ocean. The salty aroma of fresh sea air is already evident before reaching the coast. Volatile clouds of smoke pass through the sea breeze while you put on your scuba gear and prepare for the jump into the water. The sound of the waves suggests an uneasy tension on the water surface. Bubbling sea spray surrounds the body as it dives into the sea. Almost silently, it drifts around in the mysterious world, not knowing that already some tentacles are stretched out, reaching for it.

The fragrance combines marine elements with a spicy sweetness that makes it seem deep and unfathomable. It smells of sea air, sea water and wet sand. I see clear, blue water in all its shades of color. The fragrance fits figuratively to both moderate and cold climate on the beach. The sweetness makes it pleasing and attractive. By day, the sea is flooded with light and at night it lies under a mystical veil. Only then, they do venture to the surface, the squids. The oceanic smell of Squid bubbles prominently, resembling other representatives of this fragrance family. For this fragrance, it was very clever not to take the most obvious choice, the sperm whale itself, but his meal, the squid, without which there would be no ambergris. It was also clever to disguise the sweetness as squid ink. A diffuse black color, ink blots in the sea that dissolve as quickly as they have formed. An almost disturbing atmosphere between a melancholic whale song and the futile death fight of the squid. Seemingly endless, like the sea.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 74 days ago
A rather pronounced, yet unique spicy-green and salty aquatic Summer fragrance, slowly shifting to a gentlier animalic sweet-resinous base.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 130 days ago
Squid has two parts: the sea and salty side with ambergris and ink, and a balsámic and smoky parte with the frankincense and benzoin...
Syzygy73Syzygy73 168 days ago
Church incense on a bed of sweet ambergris wrapped in airy ink. There’s something transcendent about this. Quite remarkable.

Schaut euch den Octopus an den ich am Strand fotografiert habe ;-)
by Dawg
by GewoonBB
by BoBoChamp
by BoBoChamp

Popular Zoologist

Civet by Zoologist Camel by Zoologist Bee by Zoologist Elephant by Zoologist Dragonfly by Zoologist Hummingbird by Zoologist Moth by Zoologist Nightingale by Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Sloth by Zoologist Macaque by Zoologist Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Chameleon by Zoologist Rhinoceros by Zoologist Panda (2017) by Zoologist Bat (2015) by Zoologist Dodo by Zoologist Koala by Zoologist Bat (2020) by Zoologist Panda (2014) by Zoologist