Gris Charnel 2019

Gris Charnel by bdk Parfums
Gris Charnel is a popular perfume by bdk Parfums for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is creamy-spicy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Fig, Black tea
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris absolute, Bourbon vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesIndian sandalwood, Tonka bean absolute

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 08.05.2021.

Roasted almonds
A few days ago I came across a review of this scent by @Gelis. She writes that she has the sensation of smelling soup greens almost all the time. After studying the notes,,which are actually very appealing to me, my first reaction was to thank her for the warning, because honestly I don't want to walk around like that either.

Nevertheless, I decided to ask her for a bottling, which she also kindly gave me, because the notes appealed to me too much. Thank you for it!

Well, what can I say? I do not have the impression to have mutated into a soup green. I find the fragrance very pleasant and well wearable. At the very beginning, I do perceive a green-herbaceous note, which I attribute to cardamom and black tea, mixed with a tiny bit of fig. But this note quickly fades into the background for my nose.

After that, the more sweet-woody heart and base notes dominate for me. Although I perceive cardamom and black tea still, but only subtly. The fig has said goodbye completely. Otherwise, I have a hard time differentiating the individual heart and base notes, all of which I know pure. I do have an interesting overall impression though. I smell roasted almonds mixed with that green-herbaceous note I mentioned at the beginning, which may get some more support here from the bourbon vetiver. Because vetiver can have a strong note like that. Maybe that's also the reason for @Geli's soup green perception. A vetiver oil I own does indeed smell strongly of - soup greens.

It took me several tests to review this fragrance. Because he is by the mixture of green-herbaceous and sweet notes yet quite complex, as I find. Also my rating I have again significantly upgraded. Because also durability and sillage are better than I thought at first. I like it. But unfortunately not so good that he is part of my collection at the high price.
Greens
I sprayed on "Gris Charnelle" yesterday morning and walked around as a vegetable for the rest of the day with an overhang of celery. It wasn't until late evening, no actually at night just before midnight, that I unexpectedly got a breeze of a fruity floral and slightly powdery scent to my nose.

According to experience, this transformation into a then still pleasant or at least more pleasant fragrance goes faster in the following days, the nose apparently flits increasingly faster past the undesirable scents. But here what comes next is nice but still not so convincing for me that I want to spend more days with "Gris Charnelle".

Explicitly I would like to point out the durability: The thought to want to wear another fragrance in the evening, if you have sprayed GC in the morning, you should push aside.
My new signature?!
Oh you beautiful tea scent, you captured my heart after the first spray & not only mine. No. Although my boyfriend is not the biggest fan of fragrances & compliments about a fragrance rarely trickle from him, he praised this fragrance to the skies. So not only do I like it, but he does too. My bottling is now almost empty & I'm still blown away, so in a few days the ersoukte bottle may move in with me.

About the fragrance: I take very present the fig, which is in the top note was. It pulls itself through the complete fragrance course. The fig is very ripe, sweet, plump & strong purple from the outside. That's how I imagine it to be. But please don't think of it as an overly sweet scent, because that's what I was initially afraid of when I saw the fragrance notes; after all, too sweet and fruity isn't mine. This one is super balanced. The black tea goes great with the fig & the sandalwood and tonka bean gradually make it very soft & creamy. Still, it has a certain spiciness that keeps popping up. This fragrance DNA is very unique to me and haven't smelled anything similar yet. I can very well imagine it as a signature. For the day super, for the evening it may be something more with me. Also I would want to fix him on no season. For me he always goes.

Attention danger of addiction!
"You smell amazing!"
I've been to the supermarket for ages... slightly annoyed and a bit stressed I stood in front of a hygiene shelf, looking for something and when I found it, I went on. Before this said shelf ran 2 times a woman in front of me, as it is just in the supermarket, as I went further, she suddenly stood in front of me and looked at me a bit longer than usual. All of a sudden she shook her head uncomprehendingly and said to me: "You smell unbelievably good! I happily thanked her and moved on - what a great compliment! I do get compliments from my boyfriend, boss or mum sometimes, but having a complete stranger address me has never happened to me! :) I always think to myself: how good does a fragrance have to smell, that you say that to someone?

About the scent: for me, it smells absolutely not like fig.... at least not like the fig I've smelled before in other perfumes and which has always put me off a lot. To me, it smells like something a bit coconut-creamy with a hefty helping of sandalwood. I've loved the latter for a while now, Santal Complet gave me a taste for it. The fragrance seems to have ne strong sillage, I was not so aware... and it lasts really long on my skin.
I am absolutely in love and can hardly wait until my bottle finally arrives, which I ordered a few days ago.
Let's see, in which unusual situations I still so abahne compliments. :-)
The first review.
..and my first scent feelings.

I am relatively new to the perfume world. I have read through reviews from time to time and could not always understand everything. It was written about feelings and images that a fragrance triggers - this was new territory for me, I always saw a fragrance only as a beautiful "accessory". Something that rounds off my appearance, nothing more. Today I think differently.

I had a clear picture (or thought I did) about fragrances and scents that I like (will like). A few months ago, I would never have thought that a fragrance with the notes fig & black tea will be my 10/10, I prefer rather sweet-floral, very feminine fragrances. But then came the filling of Gris Charnel..

Hardly sniffed at the filling this fragrance transported me to another time and place. As already mentioned in the statement, I was on this day no longer in the rainy Swabia, but in the north of Turkey on the Black Sea.

My aunt has in my home village in the mountainous countryside of Sinop a beautiful garden with many fig trees. From there you look over a small and fine town. When we visit my aunt in the summer, we drink the best black tea and enjoy pastries and figs together while we talk the longing from our hearts and enjoy our time together.
In the evening when the sun goes down, you have the most beautiful view from my aunt's garden. First everything is green, the beautiful nature of the Black Sea region, then come the lights of the city, the life, and then the beautiful undulating Black Sea.

This is where I am when I smell gris charnel. I feel comfortable and happy. I cherish time because I know it is fleeting. I enjoy life and am grateful for all the beautiful moments.

Never has a fragrance triggered something like this in me. I perceive the fig and the black tea quite particularly, underpinned with something creamy-woody. The cardamom gives spice, the tonka some sweetness.
A beautiful association, after the first smell - images in the head.
So wonderful and intimate feelings - security, joy & well-being.

I hope circumstances allow and I can finally visit my aunt again this summer. The longing is great.
OmegApo
I absolutely cannot understand the hype surrounding this fragrance.
As mentioned in the title above, I can't understand the hype around this scent at all. Be it a Demi Rawling, Gents Scents or Leni's Scents. How they can rate this scent a 9/10 or consider it the Perfect Scent remains a mystery to me. The scent smells two things similar to me once like Axe Excite shower gel, which was on the market at the time and stone me for saying that but like Halloween Man Shot. I now have both the Gris Charnel and the Halloween Man Shot by Jesus del Polzo at home and right at the first spray I thought to myself, wait a minute, this doesn't resemble the Man Shot!!!? Left Arm Man Shot Right Arm Gris Charnel. At the start they smell very similar but you can still notice a small subtle difference. After I gave both fragrances a few minutes to unfold and compared them again, they became much more similar. I can say with good conscience that the Man Shot resembles the Gris to 80-85%. Probably because both have cardamom in the top note and iris in the heart note, I guess. It's not a fragrance I want to smell like and or wear, unfortunately. I once again let myself be led by all the hype, Blind to start a sharing because it's my trait. Hosting sharings on scents and letting myself be surprised is what I enjoy. I'm not a fan of bottlings anymore. Sounds weird but i like it. :D If you're looking for a cheap alternative, I highly recommend trying Jesus Del Polzo's Man Shot perfume!
We come now finally to the part, as I would evaluate the perfume and this looks like this:

Fragrance: 6/10 : smells powdery, creamy, spicy halt pretty cardamom and iris loadig. The notes fig and black tea I do not really take. After a while, however, this already gives me a headache. The can be penetrating in the long run.

Durability: 7/10 the holds its 6-7 hours, but more also not.

Sillage: 6/10 the fragrance cloud / veil is nothing serious and that's why he gets from me this grade.

Flacon: 6/10 is nothing earth-shattering. The cap feels heavy but is probably made of hard plastic. The design was kept simple and subtle, but I still find too monotonous and boring. In addition, there is the sticker, which always looks so crooked at the BDK's and after a stinknormal sticker, which you could easily tear off, if you want then.?

Price: 150€ for this fragrance ? Never. Neither the fragrance nor the bottle. Even if there is the in the discount for 120€, which is not worth the money for me.

At what time of year can you wear the: I find rather on cool days.
To what occasion: You can actually always wear no matter whether date, office, or leisure.
Is it unisex? Yes, that is the definite. The can be worn by both sexes equally.

Conclusion: in my eyes, the perfume has not earned this hype. For the people who want to test this fragrance absolutely, I can only put everyone to the heart, both fragrances times to test and compare.
Love greetings

Fig salt on the skin
First, I strongly perceive cardamom and tart tea vibes. That can put you off a little - but then comes more and more strongly the fig note to the fore. Beautiful.
The fig in this fragrance has ripened for a long time in sunny regions.
A sweet, juicy and ripe fruit. In addition, a slightly salty note mixes. Hmm. interesting! Although iris and vetiver are present, but I perceive them rather subliminally.
Fine sandalwood and tonka bean give the fragrance something sensual noble.
Gris Charnel has a creamy character that runs through the entire course and with time becomes close to the skin (The name fits :))
From my point of view wearable all year round, no matter what season you are in.

Especially in the openning Gris Charnel has corners and edges, exactly that makes him so special and irresistible. The packaging and the bottle are also very beautiful! Like a hardcover book. The fragrance has not let me go, just had to buy it:)

A small drawback: the relatively short projection. (About 4-5 hours)
My new signature
I'm not usually a big fan of fig scents, but I am of soft-creamy perfumes. This one is both soft-creamy and beautiful in the fig. It has absolutely NOTHING that bothers me. The cardamom and tea go incredibly well together, blending into a velvet scent tail of fig and vanilla.... Simply dreamy!
By the way, I get non-stop compliments on this one, especially when I mix it with Zadig&voltaire's "this is her". This combo definitely has a strong addictive factor...
And if it's worth buying this fragrance? Well, I find it very suitable for everyday use and wear it for a year consistently, both in winter and summer. Since it blends nicely with the skin and doesn't scream like a monster and bother others with the sillage, it's an always-goer. But considering it's a niche fragrance for over 150€, I would go for similar fragrances next time. The philosykos vob diptyque is supposed to be very good.

Ptsau
Nice scent but with almost zero performance on my skin.
I got a sample to try. Love the scent and it’s quite unique but the performance is weak on my skin. Last only 4-5 hours and no projection at all. Was only skin scent from the start to the end. I saw reviews said it has great performance on many people. I think my skin chemistry doesn’t get along with this fragrance or this brand. I wish it works on me as I really love the scent. I do think everyone skin chemistry works differently with each perfume because I did find some fragrances perform differently on my skin while I see different feedbacks on other reviews so I learned to not blind buy any perfumes. Too bad this doesn’t work for me.
Serres74
They allowed one more fig scent...
...move into my little collection. Today I got a bottling of this perfume from Madambjules (thanks again at this point, for the super fast handling) and of course I couldn't wait to sniff it...
Well...he is not as pleasing as the mainstream fragrances, which makes it difficult to take him to your heart right away. But if you give it time to unfold, you will be rewarded with a very interesting scent. It just needs time to unfold, similar to a butterfly...
The prelude smells to me more like a plum soaked around (although it is not included) and I wish this pregnant plum scent would last forever, but nooo, hardly druff...scho wiedr ford, as Schwob says...what appears is hardly fig, but too much sandalwood. The cardamom they could have dosed more homeopathic, the black tea makes it scratchy, which is a pity.
It takes me about 10-15 minutes until the scratchy something gives way to the powdery iris and yeah...now it gets interesting. The cardamon/tea team suddenly becomes softer, more rounded...and also the initial plum, which actually isn't a plum at all, because it's actually a fig, reappears...and only from this moment on, I like the scent....much later I smell the tonka bean out...I like tonka, but in this case vanilla might have been better...but nobody asks me...pfff...never mind...
What I personally miss in this fragrance is something milky...not creamy...milky it should be...it sounds weird, but it is...maybe Mrs. Kardamon and Mr. Tea with a shot of milk would not be so scratchy in the beginning. Nevertheless, the scent is very sophisticated and I can imagine it at a vernissage, an opera evening, a gala...now in autumn, when it gets dark again early and the colourful leaves fall...

by AlexW
by AlexW
by Amela
by Amela

Popular bdk Parfums

Crème de Cuir by bdk Parfums Rouge Smoking by bdk Parfums Pas Ce Soir by bdk Parfums Tabac Rose by bdk Parfums Tubéreuse Impériale by bdk Parfums Wood Jasmin by bdk Parfums Nuit de Sable by bdk Parfums Bouquet de Hongrie by bdk Parfums Oud Abramad by bdk Parfums French Bouquet by bdk Parfums Citrus Riviera by bdk Parfums Sel d'Argent by bdk Parfums