Bois d'Hadrien 2018

Bois d'Hadrien by Goutal
Bois d'Hadrien is a popular perfume by Goutal for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is woody-citrusy. It is being marketed by Amore Pacific Group / 아모레퍼시픽은. Pronunciation

Camille Goutal

Top Notes Top NotesLime
Heart Notes Heart NotesIvy
Base Notes Base NotesCypress wood, Spices, Siberian pine

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 01.09.2020.

no "Brother Lightfoot"
Yes, it is warm: summer has come back with power and has the intention to settle down for more than one moment.
It is welcome to me as a summer animal, but I also know that it can be a burden for many people.

Therefore, the right light wardrobe and a corresponding scent is all the more important at this summer time.
Nothing constricting, nothing heavy that swings the scent club.
No, now is the time for the "waterlets" in the most varied composition; everything that is called Acqua Leggero is also welcome: a fresh, cooling breath that surrounds pleasantly and does not cramp.

Already during the first very warm days I tried myself through many "newcomers" of my bottlings.
Now, after the morning trip to the Gulf of Sorrento with "Sorrentina", I consciously took hold of "Bois d'Hadrien": spicy freshness and successful wood aromas surround me!

It's still warm, but the evening is lowered, felt over a slightly hilly southern landscape that seems to breathe quietly.
I sit amidst the warm aromas that cypresses and pines emit, on a slope.
This mixture makes me relaxed and peaceful.
Aromatic and spicy undergrowth spreads its own, slightly bitter charm and a slight breeze brings the fine fresh scent of nearby lemon/lime plantations with it.
The magnificent picture of a Mediterranean landscape is created here. A scented painting, an idyll, which dispels the tension; the strained thoughts are unknotted with a gentle hand and smoothed out in a friendly way.
A fragrance being with easy step and tender hand develops!

Camille Goutal succeeds here in transforming the harmony of a summer landscape into a scent picture.
"Bois d'Hadrien" is a hermaphroditic fragrance: not male, not female - it adapts easily and is immediately present.
Nothing has to develop first, nothing hides or comes too late: "Bois d'Hadrien" is there now and immediately; complete and personal for everyone.
Its lightness is elegant, but not too casual.
For a few hours I was accompanied by this seemingly light but refined fragrance creation; surprisingly long for a fragrance of this company.

My confidence in the name Annick Goutal was not disappointed here either.
"Bois d'Hadrien" sends me on a journey into a special fragrance landscape.
Their gates are opened to me again with every spraying and I enter with great joy and always like to stay there!
Especially beautiful duet
I've only just met Bois d'Hadrien. I have known the Annick Goutal brand for a long time and I like it very much, I like natural ingredients. I became aware of Bois d'Hadrien in a noble perfumery while browsing, the duet of lemon and wood I already found very attractive in the imagination. The prices were however also very noble .....

By a nice Parfuma I could now fortunately acquire a bottling and this I guard now like a treasure.

It is a wonderful fragrance that starts tangy with full lemon and brings a woody undertone. In the course of time the woody note becomes stronger, the lemon remains. At the same time a wonderful powdery warmth is added, and a very beautiful fragrance develops, which remains with me for hours. I do indeed have an association of wood or trees, but not in the forest, but rather in the garden. Trees are cut (I love gardening!), wood is layered, it is dug in the ground and on the table there is a lemon cake and a carafe of mineral water with lemon slices and mint leaves. It is a robust fragrance, which nevertheless has a certain softness in the depth and therefore does not appear rugged or strict at all.

I think this fragrance will accompany me even longer and will soon move in with me as a permanent guest. It is a very beautiful, a special fragrance for every day, even for the office, less for an elegant evening, but still stylish, and for every season. The lemon refreshes in summer, the wood warms in winter - perfect!
Proven lemon wood
I don't know "Eau d'Hadrien", but I can imagine that "Eau d'Hadrien" plus wood results in "Bois d'Hadrien". For me Bois d'Hadrien is mainly lemon (because of me lime) plus wood. It could be cypress wood, but it could also come from the hardware store. That now sounds like a rift and, to be honest, I find ruptures much more entertaining than praise. Bois d'Hadrien, however, has proved to be an excellent choice for me at work. With "(untitled) l'eau" and "Blanche" it is best suited for work so far. I have to say that I get very close to people at work and it is good when I smell fresh. Besides, I comfort and cheer myself at work myself with the perfume I'm wearing.

At first Bois d'Hadrien knocked me down, I loved the smell so much. But I must ascribe that to my inexperience. Then I didn't buy the bottle because I found the scent one-dimensional. Lemon. Wood. If I had been just, I should have counted lemon and wood at least two-dimensionally together. But maybe it was also because of this terribly hot summer. Maybe Bois d'Hadrien doesn't go at 30°C plus, but knocks you out differently. With the wood on his head and not great at all.

If my bottling is empty, I will definitely need a bottle, for autumn, winter and spring on work alternating with the other above fragrances.

I think Bois d'Hadrien is unisex and probably you can wear it on other occasions.

Amorphous Woods with an Excellent Sprayer
Contrary to Eau d'Hadrien, I can barely smell any lime or lemon in Bois d'Hadrien, only a vague suggestion of a fresh fruity opening. And in a sense true to its name, Bois d'Hadrien indeed feels quite woody. However, these woody notes don't really have any charming characteristics of specific wood, either, but more like an abstract fruity woody note with certain similarities to Cashmeran. And it even turns a bit aridly smoky in the dry down, somewhat similar to the unpleasant effect of certain woody amber aromachemicals quite common these days.

Probably thanks to these potent molecules, the projection of Bois d'Hadrien is rather heavy, and it can cling on skin for at least 10 hours. But in return, I find Bois d'Hadrien lacks urgently the subtle, poetic beauty of previous creations from the house of Goutal. As a result, I would not particularly recommend this fragrance, especially if you happen to be fan of Goutal's offerings before 2012 which feel completely different in style with Bois d'Hadrien.

As a side note, the spray mechanism of the new packaging is much better than the older Goutal sprayer! It gives out a very uniform spray and is much easier to press.

Popular Goutal

Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Encens Flamboyant (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Nuit Etoilée (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Vétiver by Goutal Sables by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Parfum) / Hadrien Absolu by Goutal Ninfeo Mio by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Ambre Sauvage by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Mandragore Pourpre by Goutal Duel by Goutal Heure Exquise by Goutal Rose Absolue by Goutal Eau du Sud by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Vanille Charnelle by Goutal Vanille Exquise by Goutal Songes (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Myrrhe Ardente (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Eau de Monsieur (2013) by Goutal Nuit Étoilée (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal