Eau d'Hadrien 1981 Eau de Toilette

Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal
Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Goutal for women and men and was released in 1981. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by Amore Pacific / 아모레퍼시픽. Pronunciation

Sicilian lemonSicilian lemon
CitronCitron
GrapefruitGrapefruit
Green mandarin orangeGreen mandarin orange
Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
CypressCypress
BergamotBergamot

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 11.09.2021.

Adriano, vieni con me!
"Adriano, come with me to the gardens outside the city; it's so warm here!"
This might sound like the prelude to a summer's day out of Rome; the Tivoli Gardens are simply inviting for a trip there, and a detour to the ruins of Villa Hadrian is always interesting too.

Who can not or will not follow this invitation, Annick Goutal provides with "Eau d'Hadrien" a refreshing and fragrant alternative.
The self-taught perfumer is said to have been guided by the character of Emperor Hadrian from Marguerite Yourcenar's novel "The Memoirs of Emperor Hadrian" in finding the name for this now famous fragrance.
Their daughter Camille now continues to run the company and remembers her mother fondly.

From this "d'Hadrien" fragrance series, I was able to test the Eau de Toilette and am very excited.
Just the prelude full of the scent of ripe Hesperides transports me to a Mediterranean garden.
Italy's sun certainly spoiled the contents of the large fruit basket: bright yellow lemons, grapefruits and also citronate lemons, but also tangerines and bergamots are there.
A touch of aldehydes seems to accompany the fragrance beauty of ylang-ylang and thus make this composition shine, before an avenue of cypresses leads to a woody-fresh conclusion.

Annick Goutal created with "Eau d'Hadrien" a fragrant tribute to the South, its history and also set itself a fragrance monument.
Because among others Sharon Stone, Leonardo di Caprio, Cèline Dion and not least Prince Charles love and use this fragrant gem of perfume art.

"Eau d'Hadrien" is very green and very fruity, with a great tenderness that seems to bind all the fragrant components of this freshness.
The durability of the Eau de Toilette is corresponding; just that a Dufttwässchens!
I do not expect more from a fragrance that already carries the term "water" in its name.
In addition, I now know and love several fragrances from the Annick Goutal range and know about the not very long life.
But I can live with it!
Each renewed spraying and refreshing allows the adventure of being able to follow the fine scent progression again and again.

"Eau d'Hadrien" is a very stylish fragrance that gives me a lot of pleasure and that I unfortunately wear far too rarely.
But I have just sworn to myself: This will change now!

Alive But Fleeting
No matter how lovely, it just DOES NOT LAST on the skin. It doesn't. Not a chance. It's as fleeting as a rainbow.

New summer scent
Hi,
I am bathing in this right now and - my two year old son wanted to sample this scent too. Thank You Dear PBullFriend for introducing this scent. I think this might cut very well heat while those hot summer days. This is one of those best Citrusy scents I have sampled and tested. Me likes. Ty Dear once more**

Bright, squeaky clean lemon
I do believe that the sales assistant must have been misinformed or confused when she thought I would like Eau D'Hadrien when I had made it quite obvious that I loved my florals and had little tolerance for citrusy fragrances.

When I got home and opened up my 15ml sample of this fragrance, to put it bluntly, I was horrified.

Seeming that every cleaning solution in my house is lemon scented, this fragrance certainly doesn't remind me of happier times. Had I been born a billionairess and had someone else do my household chores perhaps my view of this fragrance would be a little different.

Also having alcohol added as an obvious component to this fragrance, only makes me think of tequila with lemon and salt, usually after five tequila shots too many.

There's no doubt in my mind that Eau D'Hadrien is more expensive and sophisticated smelling than detergent, however that still doesn't make me love it.

To me this isn't a bright, happy and uplifting fragrance, it's more sharp and rigid. Perhaps a fragrance better suited to men rather than women.

With that being said, I will be trying this on my man just to see whether the scent becomes more likable that way.

On a better note, this fragrance lasts well, I guess that's one good aspect. But unfortunately this fragrance fails in my opinion.

greatness spoiled
Before the reformulation (2010?), this was a beautiful, simple, refreshing perfume. I think it was the first niche perfume I bought. Just a lovely go-to scent when you feel hot and sticky and want a pick-me-up. In fact, it was perfect for men or women and for any but the most formal occasions. Unfortunately, I've tried some from after the reformulation, and the lemon is now less sparkling. It seems like there's less cypress as well. Now it's more of a plain lemony dish detergent, and I don't think it's worth wearing.
2.5

Evanescent Beauty
Sometimes less really is more, and Annick Goutal EAU D'HADRIEN perhaps exists precisely in order to demonstrate this verity. Unfortunately, tempus fugit, and so does EAU D'HADRIEN, faster than the father of an unwanted child, I'm afraid.

Of course, all good things must come to an end, but EAU D'HADRIEN edt is extraordinarily evanescent on my skin. Looks as though I'll just have to try the edp, because this lemony-cypress wonderfulness has really won me over. We are in high EAU D'HADRIEN season here in Boston, and I'm reaching for this bottle all the time. Really this has turned out to be one of my favorite citrus compositions. EAU D'HADRIEN is to lemon and cypress as Hermes CONCENTRE D'ORANGE VERTE is, well, to green oranges!

I should add that my first encounter with this fragrance was less than felicitous, as I, too, encountered the dreaded Lemon Pledge effect reported by so many disappointed naysayers. I have since been persuaded to believe that Annick Goutal sample vials are undependable. This fragrance was launched in 1981. How long was my sample vial sitting in a warehouse? That is the question, and thanks to my natural predilection for skepticism, I went ahead and bought a bottle of this splendid citrus scent, on the strength of the rave reviews it has received far and wide.

I am delighted to be able to report that they were right! I stand corrected, and now will think twice before rendering a final judgment on any perfume based on a sample vial of unknown origin, handled in unknown conditions, and stored God knows where, for who knows how long?

JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Sad it doesn't last. The performance is really really weak, which is sad, because the smell is freaking incredible

by Hexana
by Ancaan
by Ancaan
by Oberloser
by Oberloser
Kaiser Hadrian mit seinem eigenen Duft!
by Ninina
by skanvidou
by Silverrain
by Silverrain

Popular Goutal

Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Encens Flamboyant (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Nuit Etoilée (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Sables by Goutal Vétiver by Goutal Bois d'Hadrien by Goutal Ninfeo Mio by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Parfum) / Hadrien Absolu by Goutal Heure Exquise by Goutal Étoile d'une Nuit by Goutal Nuit et Confidences by Goutal Rose Absolue by Goutal Duel by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Vanille Charnelle by Goutal Mandragore Pourpre (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Ambre Sauvage by Goutal Eau de Monsieur (2013) by Goutal Eau du Sud by Goutal Vanille Exquise by Goutal Myrrhe Ardente (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal