Eau du Ciel 1985

Eau du Ciel by Goutal
Eau du Ciel is a perfume by Goutal for women and was released in 1985. The scent is floral-green. It is being marketed by Amore Pacific / 아모레퍼시픽. Pronunciation

Linden treeLinden tree
RosewoodRosewood
IrisIris
BeeswaxBeeswax
White muskWhite musk

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 09.11.2021.

The scent was re-released in 2015.

Sky Water
Eau du Ciel is old fashioned and rather stately; imagine, the swishy green stockings of Y on the shapely legs of Diorissimo.
And like many of the best ideas, it's very simple, basically a marriage of oil and alcohol: hydroxycitronellol - the fresh muguet-like floral, and the oily-dry varnish of rosewood.
But, why is a woody green lime-flower named sky water? It smells nothing like rain...

(The old one)

Reformulated???
Because I happened to be wearing Eau du Ciel today, I decided to check out its Parfumo page. I was shocked to see the low ratings for sillage and longevity. Since I know a lot of the members here and respect their noses, I can't help but suspect a reformulation. My bottle is about ten years old, and I'm trying to conserve it because it was my wedding perfume and I'm goofy and sentimental that way. To compare my bottle's sillage and lasting power to something that is familiar to most perfume enthusiasts, I would say it is similar to the original EL White Linen.

In any event, my old, possibly pre-reformulation EdC fit the whole "blushing bride" cliche in that it has an innocent, young vibe that seems to be a thread running through some of the early Goutals, such as Petite Cherie and Eau de Charlotte. You absolutely have to be a fan of linden blossom in order to warm up to this perfume, as that is the most prominent note in the composition. There's also neroli, which lends a soft, soapy touch and a whisper of iris and violet. It's not a complex fragrance, but it is a bit unusual, as are quite a few of the Goutals.

If I ever (God forbid!) get married again, I'll be sporting a tuberose bomb like Carnal Flower or the like, but I nevertheless look back on my Eau du Ciel days with fond memories and happiness. Hopefully I'm dead wrong about the reformulation and what I'm seeing is just a disagreement among noses, but I will try to find a new bottle to compare to my old one and report back.

Update: Yes, Ciel has been reformulated. :( Not only watered down, but the big linden note that made it so special has been scaled back and the rosewood trimmed, as well. Some people actually might prefer the reformulation as it is no doubt more of a blended floral now, but I find it a bit vapid compared to the quirky, off-center beauty of the original, however unbalanced it might have been. So, my precious old bottle that used to sit on my dresser next to my husband's wedding boutonnière is now wrapped up in tissue and stowed away from the light of day. :: sniff ::

by Heavenly85
by Heavenly85
by Shehrazade
by Shehrazade

Popular Goutal

Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Encens Flamboyant (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Nuit et Confidences by Goutal Vétiver by Goutal Bois d'Hadrien by Goutal Sables by Goutal Nuit Etoilée (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal Étoile d'une Nuit by Goutal Ninfeo Mio by Goutal Heure Exquise by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Parfum) / Hadrien Absolu by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Ambre Sauvage by Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Les Absolus d'Annick Goutal - Vanille Charnelle by Goutal Duel by Goutal Mandragore Pourpre (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal Rose Absolue by Goutal Eau de Monsieur (2013) by Goutal Eau du Sud by Goutal Myrrhe Ardente (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal